Audi S5 consumer car reviews and road tests

Audi S5 consumer reviews by year of make:2007 2008 2009

Audi S5 consumer car reviews

Ricardo Rawson, Buckinghamshire

Audi S5 2007

Came out of an M3 and bought this car looking for a 4 wd Quattro. My car was one of the first delivered to the UK and have had 4 great years, save for a major electrical/gear transmission problem, which was covered by Audi UK 4 months after the official warranty expired. The build quality and roar of the V8 are unsurpassed by rivals in our director’s car park. Insurance, tax and fuel consumption, each requires deep pockets. Niggling problems with bluetooth, but the Bose sound system blows your mind. Does not handle like a BMW, but for all weather performance you will not be disappointed, but avoid those pot-holes, easily damaged and expensive to repair!

Submitted: 2011-04-30 | ID: 36632

Pete Austin, Hampshire

Audi S5 2009

I’ve had alot of cars, some I’ve liked, some I’ve been glad to move on but having sold a DB9 (the running costs and depreciation were spoiling the fun) I went in search of something special but a little more mainstream. I tried the new M3 (dull interior but great engine and handling) Jag XK 4.2 and XJR (lovely sound, pretty styling but some silly cost cutting) another 650 BMW (had one before and quite liked it, and lastly the new S5. The S5 I first saw was Phantom Black with Magma red leather and carbon fibre trims, it looked absolutely amazing, we took it for a short drive and I have never known a car get so much attention, might be the LED lights but it looks amazing, we drove out through the country and the engine was just stunning, just enough V8 burble, and more than enough power if a little soft on the delivery. Basically it is quicker than it feels. We got back to the dealership and ordered right there and then. Had the car for 9 months now and it still raises a smile and draws a crowd, not bad for a non-supercar... if you are not sure, trust me you’ll love this car... er well maybe not the fuel consumption... but hey you only live once.

Submitted: 2009-02-02 | ID: 36637

Michael, London

Audi S5 2008

I’ve just moved back to Singapore after spending 8 years in the UK so naturally, I went shopping for a new car. Short-listed were the BMW 3 series convertible, Jaguar XF and the Audi A5. The Jaguar was a breath of fresh air considering what jags are normally like and the BMW was disappointing, the interior was unimaginative almost exactly the same as my ’06 3 series in the UK, and the car felt soulless to drive. I got to the Audi showroom last and test drove the S5 (a smart move on the part of the salesman after he told me "the 3.2 A5 was currently unavailable") . I got in and smiled straight away. The tingly sensation and anticipation when you get into the gloriously rich interior was precisely what I was looking for! The engine is a beauty, power delivery was smooth and instantaneous and oooohhh the sound it made. Long story short, even though it was above the budget I set myself, I ordered one straight after I got out and I’ve never been so happy about buying a car. The B&O sound system blew me away so I ordered one of those too! For a car of that speed and spec, it’s real value for money even when you compare it to the BMW 335i coupe which entices you with a relatively low starting prices but rips you off on the options (and you will need options because those things are spartan). The only bad points I can think off is that the back is a little hard to get in and out of, the steering is too light and the stupid sunroof won’t open further than a slight tilt even though it costs just as much as one that does - so don’t get one.

Funny, I am the same as you, just got to Singapore and wanted to know what engine and model did you get. Just wanted to know if you mind if I ask a few questions? I am new to Singapore but understand how it all works re cars and COE so don’t worry. Thanks <a href="mailto:c.baker@asia.ing.com" target="_blank">c.baker@asia.ing.com</a> - Chris Baker from Singapore

Submitted: 2008-10-09 | ID: 36635

Garry Taylor, Hampshire

Audi S5 2008

Arrived about 3 weeks ago and done about 1500 miles. I am very pleased with the way this car makes you feel very special. The V8 is a dream engine, smooth, progressive with a good amount of grunt and a glorious bark at full throttle. The interior is so much better then the SLK 55 I had before and to be quite frank is better value than the SLK. A good all round GT car.

Submitted: 2008-03-25 | ID: 36634

Lee Sealy, Herefordshire

Audi S5 2007

I’ve just had the pleasure of driving one of these for a week and I have to say ’what a car’! This is a real bad boy and will definately give BMW a run for their money. An absolute joy to drive I think Audi were wise to restrict the top speed to 155mph because it is so easy to creep up on the old speedometer without realising it. Was I sad to give the car back? I nearly cried!! The down side? The price. It really is an amazing car but more expensive than its rivals.

Submitted: 2007-11-14 | ID: 36633

• A response has been made to Michael (09/10/2008 11:45:40)

• "Can the Tiptronic transmission paddle shifter mounted on the steering wheel of an Audi S5 be used for engine braking by downshifter without damaging ..." (Danny Lam, 24/05/2012 15:50:06)

Audi S5

Sportback 3.0 TFSI Quattro S tronic - First came the A5 Coupé and Convertible, then the A5 Sportback which combined 5-door hatchback practicality – not something German manufacturers have been much bothered about in recent times – with sleek coupé styling. Now comes the powerful S5 Sportback, a model that seemingly has almost every box [...]

An image of the Audi S5 Sportback 3.0 TFSI Quattro S tronic

Audi S5

Coupe - Unusually, the S5 Coupe uses a different engine to its cabriolet and hatchback sister models, but it’s all the better for it as the Coupe comes with a thumping V8 motor. Aside from the soundtrack, the S5 is a halfway house for performance Audi fans as it sits between the mainstream A5 range and the [...]

An image of the Audi S5 Coupe