Audi A6 Avant consumer car reviews and road tests

Audi A6 Avant

Audi A6 Avant consumer reviews by year of make:2002 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012

Audi A6 Avant consumer car reviews

Nick D, England

Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TDi Quattro TipTronic 2006

Just sold this lemon after only over a year and 12K miles. Glad I could get rid of it, despite a depreciation I would consider steep for a used car. I’m thoroughly displeased with the car (this from an Audi Fan who’s owned several through the years). There’s simply always something wrong with it! DPF light coming on and off, randomly putting the engine in the now familiar "Limp Mode", since the very day I got it (mind you the car only has 75K miles on it, bought it at 60). Fuel gauge also going haywire and working randomly (meaning having to drive a 50 Grand car on odometer readings like an 80’s gaugeless motorcycle). The whole MMI is packed full of gremlins and basically works whenever it feels like it (go for a 100 mile journey and the satnav calls it quits after an hour, but works fine without any ’fault codes" the next day). Radio or CDs randomly going "silent" for a while, hands-free hanging up and displaying "Telephone not installed" in the middle of a call, or the whole lot refusing to "boot" altogether...you get the idea, I could write this all day! Plus, the car returns rubbish mileage for a supposedly "new generation/common rail/direct injection diesel". The darned thing struggles to return 30mpg combined, and will gladly dip into the low 20s around town, and that’s with very "economy minded driving"...that’s petrol territory in my book! (Especially considering most BMW 3.0 boilers will be quite content with 35/40 combined). On the plus side, it is remarkably comfy, the ride is second to none and inspires confidence, and handling is precise and responsive enough given the sheer size and weight of the beast...as far as looks go, I’ve loved’em since the day it came out, and still do. But I’ve had it with this love/hate relationship, she’s got to go! Now this Audi fan’s going Bimmer shopping, danke shön!

Submitted: 2012-10-29 | ID: 36522

Kelly, Yorkshire

Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDI SE Saloon (Manual) 2012

Now the car has 5,000 miles on the clock a gentle 70mph motorway run of 96 miles round trip returns 55mpg. I have seen up to 61.8mpg, but had to keep to 65mph one way. The return leg saw 58mpg, but you really need to pull away slowly and use all the tricks to eek out maximum mpg. With a mixture of town driving in a hilly area it’s combined average is 49mpg (manual car). Very pleased with the car, very high quality dash. The only negative is the standard seats in the SE are too short in the leg. Go for the comfort or sport seats as found in the S-Line to get more depth and more adjustability. (My wife is just 5ft 2" and even she said the seat sqab is too short!). Otherwise great car. Would have been 5 stars if the standard seats were better.

Submitted: 2012-06-30 | ID: 36523

Bob Ellis, England

Audi A6 Avant 2011

I bought my Audi A6 Avant in Dec 11, after having previously owned a BMW 520D. My BMW averaged 56mpg and I was told by Bolton Audi that the A6 Avant would match, if not better, the fuel consumption. After 1000 miles, it had only managed 41mpg. After various complaints to Bolton Audi, and them checking the car to see if there are ay faults - which they say there are not, I am still only getting 46mpg. Audi publish the consumption at 56.5mpg. If you are bothered about fuel consumption, which I am as I do 40,000 miles per year, DON’T BUY THIS CAR. Audi Bolton don’t want to know and I am now stuck with a car that is costing an extra £1332.00 in fuel every year!

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 36518

Richard Kelly, County Londonderry

Audi A6 Avant 3.0tdi quattro 2004

What a car! This car is 8 years old and drives like new every day. I look forward to driving it to work and the auto gearbox works superbly in putting down the power. Economy about 35mpg, and I am not a slow lane man. A dream, pleasurable and solid car. The satnav is a bit tedious and fiddly to operate, but if you update the maps then they are good it just needs a simpler set up mode. The sound system is perfect, I just love it! This is my 3rd Quattro, the previous being A4’s, but this is the best yet!!

Submitted: 2012-01-08 | ID: 36517

Rowan Smith, England

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 Diesel Quattro Avant SE 2002

Not just great - brilliant!!!! I bought this car at 6mths old from the Audi main dealer in 2002. It’s been main dealer serviced throughout on variable services (c. every 20k miles) from new. Total repair bill in 8 years and 135k miles of motoring, (excluding normal wear and tear items) - £60!! Yes, one race of a wheel bearing packed up a couple of years ago and thats all!! Everything else works, it has never broken down, it’ss had no leaks and is still on the original battery and alternator etc. The tyres do about 35k miles and economy is 39 mpg (34 with a/c on). I changed the cam belt at 80k, which isn’t cheap at c.£1k (main dealer again!), but other than that, whats not to like? I keep it because it still does everything as well as the day I bought it. Just a truly great car and now its not even depreciating!!

Submitted: 2011-11-21 | ID: 36516

Harry, England

Audi A6 Avant A6 quatrro 2.0 s-line 2011

I traded in a 325i Coupe M sport for an A6 salon 7 days ago and think it was the biggest mistake I have ever made. It looks good (white with blacked out windows) which is probably what made me go to it, but as soon as I got it on the motorway after picking it up the road noise was very loud. I went for a diesel and in 1st or 2nd gear it sounds like a bag of spanners coming down the road. It has sat nav, bluetooth, hands free etc., which is all ok but it’s not a patch on what I had in the 325. The sales guy assured me that I can connect my iPod via the Bluetooth and control it via the MMI - this turned out to be a lie. If you have the connection to wire it in you can, but if you are solely connecting via Bluetooth then the only thing you can do via the MMI is the volume. Want change albums? Then you need to get your iPod, unlock it, chose the album, wait for the sound to stutter for 20 seconds and then you can listen to the album you wanted - not ideal on a long motorway drive. Everything is just the little bit too uncomfortable; left hand arm rest is too low, the door is too high to rest your elbow one and the steering wheel is too thin to be comfortable. The steering is also WAY too light to feel responsive. The gear stick is not level with the arm rest so if you are using the rest it’s a pain to change gear and the petrol gauge is made up of LED’s, which looks great at first until you realise that the lights don’t reduce as you use the petrol, instead they only go out when you have used 1/8 of a tank of fuel - there are 8 LEDs. So you never see if you have 1/4 tank left or 1/8 of a tank lefty until its almost too late. I do like the screen in the dash board though. Behind the steering wheel as you have a lOt of choice as to what you want to see here; speedo, sat nav instructions, current music play back, telephone etc. All in all I much prefer the inside of a BMW as its that little bit more thought out in terms of comfort, usability and the iDrive is very intuitive, but above all you get NO road noise inside, which is something Audi need to work on big time with this car. I plan to keep it for a month or so just to give it a fair chance and if it doesn’t grow on me I will be trading it back in for a BMW. I will have to cut my losses I think.

Submitted: 2011-11-19 | ID: 36519

Steve Lipscombe, Nottinghamshire

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 SE Quattro 2005

Lovely to drive. The V6 diesel purrs smoothly and is pretty quick and pretty frugal; >40mpg on a run (>45 if driving really steady!). The transmission is smooth as silk (Tiptronic) and the handling is very good for such a big motor. The Quattro is brilliant in ice and snow, and on wet muddy fields. I bought it at 5 years old, with 110,000 miles. Now a year later and at 125,000 I still enjoy driving it. The main problem is a recurrent brake judder. I Have had 3-4 sets of front discs and pads fitted, plus various front suspension parts and recently front off-side hub but it is still juddering! Also, the climate control doesn’t work well, I think there’s a heater valve sticking open somewhere. There is some minor cosmetic wear and tear, which is to be expected at this age/mileage. Overall it is very reliable. I will definitely look at another when I’m due to change.

Submitted: 2011-10-12 | ID: 36520

Paul, England

Audi A6 Avant 3.0T s-line le mans quattro 2009

This car seems indestructable, despite the now numerous serious faults it has developed. Now 2 years old with 30k miles it has endured the following: Dealer misfitting the oil filter after a service meant it emptied all the engine oil over the French motorway. Roadside assistance were great and off it went again. Then the bearings on the radiator pump failed, ( a common fault apparently) which emptied all the cooling liquid over the engine. Now, its gearox has all but failed, multitronic version, won’t select reverse or drive when cold. However it got us back from Austria in one run (just!!) Suspect new gearbox is the answer. I’ve had a lot of Audi’s and they all have developed serious faults. I’m lucky in that my local dealer has stepped up and got them fixed but it makes you wonder? On the plus side we had a Q7 before, and you don’t need a 4x4, this car (when running!!) has got through all the snow and ice the Q7 did in the Alps.

Submitted: 2011-09-06 | ID: 36521

Alistair Bones, England

Audi A6 Avant 2.0 tdi 2010

Here’s my take after a week with a brand new one and in direct comparison with a Subaru Legacy 3.0 spec B tourer. The Audi is overall a really comforting experience in that you feel that you have made a good decision buying/leasing one... until you get past the overwhelming feelgood factor that the interior and build quality provides. Because, while everything is bolted together well, there always seems to be a counter issue to each good facet. For instance, it cruises well and seems relaxed, apart from the fidgeting suspension and apparent road noise, it seems quick apart from the sluggish off the line take up that leaves you guessing when exiting roundabouts. The S line seats are difficult to configure and I base that comment on getting comfortable in my Subaru Legacy seats over many miles, but failing to lose the ’sitting on, not in" feel the S line seats provide. Overall I think the A6, at least this generation, is a big, smart polished PR exercise that impresses ignorant neighbours more than it pleases the owner. Where it might be solid, assured and prominent, it’s also, hefty, cumbersome and lacking finesse. Oh, I mentioned my day to day car, a Subaru 3.0 Spec B Tourer. It’s (just) less well built, not quite the same in terms of interior quality, blah blah, but hang on... four years in it’s still solid, fast (always, no sluggish off the line nonesense) and far, far, far more alive in response in every way. Corners, check, wet roundabouts, well, check, overtaking, yes... so you guessed that. But, over four years, it’s had a problematic battery (replaced by the dealer, no question) and that’s it. I think the Audi might be my aunt: Likeable, there, trustworthy, hard to dislike, but not really adding anything.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-04-25 | ID: 36506

Andy C, Surrey

Audi A6 Avant Tiptronic 7 speed auto 2010

2.0L diesel is a bit noisy and rattly, although very smooth on distance journeys and very reliable. We dove to the Czech Republic and back over Xmas, a 2000 mile round trip from London; and the Audi munched the miles comfortably. Plenty of space inside for the Mrs and kids to load everything that’s not bolted down, and the kitchen sink. I would say it’s well worth investing in the tiptronic 7 speed box, which comes with a very handy ’sport’ selection on the auto, with paddle shift on the steering wheel, great for leaving others for dust at the lights and comfortably accellerating away from tail-gaters on the motorway. Averaging about 40 mpg combined. I like this car and will probably go for an 3.0L A8 next time.

Submitted: 2011-03-17 | ID: 36505

Mark Randall, Cambridgeshire

Audi A6 Avant tdi 2.0 SE 2007

Bit of an odd car. I have had it about 12 months now as purchased when 2 1/2 years old with 20k on the clock. Nothing major has gone bang in the 10k I have stuck on the car. I had it serviced about 3 months after purchasing and it was at main dealer and not overly expensive. I also put on 2 new fronts, which it has munched at badly over the last 8k I imagine there about half worn so it appears to eat tyres faster than the wife’s c70. I like the interior and kit came fully loaded with electic seats, mmi with premium sound system and ipod etc so the kit level is much better than say a BMW 5. The issue is it’s really boring, nice, but not overly fun to drive, slow to pull away with overly light steering. Can’t fault the car mechnically so far, but it’s just bland and feel forless money may have got a very similar car by just buying a VW Passatt. Prior to this had a BMW 320 touring for six years and will go back to that in a few years when I get rid of this one. More fun to drive and less bland.

Submitted: 2011-03-02 | ID: 36504

Ted Wright, Kent

Audi A6 Avant 2010

Top of the range. Bought new on 17th February 2010. Cost £41,000. November 16th 2010, having covered 9,000 miles my water pump packed up. As I write (10th December) there is no chance of a replacement as there are no replacement pumps in the UK! This car was sold to me knowing that the water pump with this model was an issue. My car has been fitted with nearly £2,000 worth of equipment to make it suitable for carrying dogs (my profession) but the car is now stuck somewhere in the depths of a car dealers awaiting spares that are not available!

A6 Avant 2.0 TDI 57 plate. 3rd Audi and probably my last! Build quality keeps going downhill. Only done 30K in this one and already had clutch, flywheel replaced. Boot still leaks and tailgate fills up with rain water. Engine tick over is erratic, ’tappit’ noises when cold, below 5 deg C, engine revs. Erratic when pulling away. Ventilation motors replaced in dash... and so it goes on!!! Warranty runs out in a month and I can’t wait for the next failure!!! Would never by a BMW... so could be a Merc next! - Bob Masters from England

Buy a Subaru then. I have the Legacy Boxer diesel, never a problem, one of the best cars out there. German cars are rubbish these days, sad but true - Darren Saxton from Surrey

Submitted: 2010-12-11 | ID: 36512

Nigel Bonnet, Cheshire

Audi A6 Avant 2009

I’ve had three punctures in 6 months and the self inflate doesn’t work and the ’gunk’ is totally useless. I’ve had to be towed off by the AA three times now. You can’t get a spare emergency wheel . It’s a bit pathetic for a car of this standing. Don’t buy this car unless it has a spare wheel.

Submitted: 2010-12-01 | ID: 36515

Nici Burn, England

Audi A6 Avant S Line Le Mans 2010

Fantastic car, as the engine runs in the fuel economy improves. I have the solar sunroof which works brilliantly in hot weather as it switches on the air blowers when parked and cools the interior. My one big complaint are the 19" low profile alloys, unlike other low profiles I have driven, the tyre offers absolutely no protection even when just brushing along a curb, therefore my alloys look an absolute mess, shame for a car that has only driven a few thousand miles and is only six months old. I was advised by an alloy specialist repairer that they have had several complaints of these alloys being damaged easily, but Audi deny this and say it is due to driver error! Shame, but all in all, a superb car.<br /><br />

Can I ask how many miles you get out of the front tyres? I have the same model and at 6,100 miles I am looking at new ones. Not impressed - David Gibbs from Northumberland

Submitted: 2010-10-26 | ID: 36510

Terry Stone, London

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 d se 2007

Have had the car for five months. This car is the best estate I have had. The boot is huge, need a big boot for my job. When driving on motorways, it’s very good on fuel. Driving in London very expensive buut worth every penny. Car came with one key only, Audi need £150 for a new one. Would like to know anywhere cheaper.

£150 to replace an Audi A6 key is fairly competitive. If you already start to worry about costs like this, I am not sure if you are driving the right car. I drive the 09 of the same car and Audi’s after sales service have been priced with competition on their mind - Lasun Raji from England

Submitted: 2010-09-02 | ID: 36507

Syd Folop, Durham

Audi A6 Avant 2.0 diesel 2010

Not impressed, frankly it drives like a truck. It’s so wide and it makes my motorhome seem thin. However i like the interior nut that is about it. The mpg is poor and the ride is harsh and bumpy unless you are new smooth road. Too much road noise.

Submitted: 2010-08-11 | ID: 36509

Philip Holman, Staffordshire

Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi SE 2007

Great car. Spacious, comfortable, quick, versatile and great long-distance cruiser. I have now done 95,000 miles and had very few problems (automatic wipers and TV reception), which have been put right promptly by superb Audi dealer. The only negative comment I can make is the diesel engine is a bit unrefined and cumbersome around town with low revs. Once up to speed though, the engine noise is deadened by ambient noise and not a problem.

Submitted: 2010-06-14 | ID: 36494

Bill Treddenick, England

Audi A6 Avant Avant SE 2009

To date, this is proving to be the best car I have bought. My previous two cars have been Mercs (C-Class and E-Class), and I was looking for a more reliable car that would take the mileage I do. The A6 has not let me down, and exceeded my expectations in terms of driving comfort and convenience. The only downside (compared to the E-Class) is economy - both have been diesels, and I had expected the A6 to be as good/better than the E-Class, but it’s about 6mpg off the E-Class on most journeys. Comparing other features (and not being in the dealership complaining about problems) more than compensates this! One tiny fault so far - the satnav. I paid to upgrade to the "high" system, and it is brilliant, but the voice command when you’re on most roundabouts is wrong, it tells you "take the 2nd turning on you’re right" but means "take the next exit off". To confirm that "it’s not me", just last night (29th Jan 2010), Jonathan Ross interviewed Kim Catrall from Sex & the City, and she said the same thing about an Audi she had hired to get around Britain recently - flawless apart from this issue. Enough of the negatives, the positives are: the 2009 A6 is an intelligent comfortable car; it has features to make your life easier that Audi don’t even publicise (e.g. muting the sound system when reversing so you can hear the distance warning beeps, and not able to ’play’ with the command system when in reverse); the electronic parking brake was a feature I wasn’t looking forward to - and in practice it’s really good - just touch the accelerator and it releases instantly.... this is turning out to be a long rambling review, sorry. It is a good car, I like to drive it, and when I come to replace it, I will buy another.<br /><br />

Responding to Bill Treddenicks remarks about the Audi’s sat nav .I also have an Audi A6 Avant(58) and the only fault I can complain about is the Sat Nav and its instuctions when on a roundabout. They are incorrect and can be quite confusing. My wife and I now make an educated quess as to which exit to depart from , and most of the times are correct! But, it can be confusing and even a bit dangerous at times. If anyone knows of a ’fix’ for this problem I would be most grateful - Alan Ham from Hampshire

Same problem with my sat nav on my A6 Le Mans - MMI High. Anyone figured out how to correct it? Does the sat nav software need to be upgraded? Thanks in advance for any advice - from Surrey

This sat nav issue can be cured with a software update. Hitchin Audi did it for me where others failed. I took a video of it happening and put it on YouTube (1901RM is my user ID if you want to see it before it was fixed). Apparently it is a positioning issue; the car thinks it is further round the roundabout than it is. Good luck - Richard Maskrey from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2010-01-30 | ID: 36495

Lawrence Kelly, Cheshire

Audi A6 Avant 2.0 tdi Avant SLine Auto 2007

A beautiful looking estate car inside and out but driving on anything aside of a smoothly tarmaced motorway gets tiresome. Stay clear of the S line variants as the handling can only be described as overly firm! As mentioned by many the front seats are atrociously uncomfortable for such an expensive car and the steering is far too light and gives very little feedback! I have found it dangerously underpowered when pulling away from standstill and it is a COMPLETE joke in the snow. Two punctures on relatively new tyres have resulted in costly replacement tyres as the low profile matched with the vehicle weight seal their fate instantly. To date, it’s been plagued with continuous rough idle problems, one shockingly diagnosed engine failure by Audi recovery (only to be rectified by an engine management software upgrade). Even so it continues to judder with alarming regularity. The Injector seals have been replaced and the car is currently undergoing ANOTHER software upgrade! To date Audi have yet to replace the actual injectors under warranty. I have had to travel to find a good Audi dealer as I have been underwhelmed by my closest representative. I really do want to like this car but it fails to live up to expectations.

Hi! Many thanks for the review. What mileage is your car? - Tom White from Cheshire

Submitted: 2010-01-19 | ID: 36499

Les Edwards, Norfolk

Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDISE 2005

Bought the car new to replace my 02 Merc 220cdi. A great car but for a few niggles: Blown intercooler at 30k, repaired under warranty; Constantly failing rear washer jet, repaired by Audi, lasted about a fortnight then stopped working again! I Haven’t had a rear washer for 3 years now; exhaust gas management failed at 60k. Main dealer service is overpriced and over rated. They charged me 1,285 pounds for a service and cam belt change and then tried to tell me I needed new rear pads at 280 pounds when there was still a good 20k of wear left !! Now at 97k and having problems with the electronic park brake. Audi deny any problems with this (even though every forum lists this as a common fault with the EPB). On a positive note, mpg varies from 46-56 with performance impressive for a 2.0. It’s worth noting that an earlier recall to the ECU resulted in power loss in low revs through gears 1&2 and after a particulary terrifying incident crossing the M62 and suffering power loss during acceleration, I rang Norwich Audi and demanded the car be returned to its original settings. After some deliberation and a call to Germany for the codes this was done and the car behaved superbly! Ride quality is firm and you tend to feel all the bumps, my wife gets car sick on virtually every journey! To summise, the car has a few flaws but is otherwise a good motor let down by poor service and attention from the dealers. Incidently, for good value servicing and maitenance in Norwich call Autogas in Alston Rd, Audi, vw and SEAT specialist. Serviced my car for £140, rear pads replaced all in for £120 !

Having read this report I have to say I thoroughly endorse the comments about dealerships. I’ve just ordered my 4th Audi as I love the cars but I have to say (after falling out with dealers in Slough, Reading, Coventry, in a very big way Oxford, currently touch and go with Bristol) I’m seriously out of love with the "Audi experience." which is over-priced and almost never seems to get things right first time. I work with the Ministry of Defence and find it amusing to compare the hourly rates charged for maintaining Nuclear Submarines (fleet size 4) with an Audi Main Dealer A4 .... the Nuclear Boat is considerably less than half the price! - from Oxfordshire

Submitted: 2009-12-12 | ID: 36502

FM, England

Audi A6 Avant 2007

(Because of the requirement to select a county "England" is indicated. However, I am in America.) You folks in the UK have had your problems. I took delivery of my A6 Avant in the dead winter (2007) and dealt with a week of what we call ’black’ ice and snow - passing (broken down on the side of the road) every other vehicle I had originally considered purchasing. I’m in hilly Northern Virginia, doing a combination of highway, local, and rural driving. My vehicle handles the snow quite well....then again, I am used to driving near a ski resort in the Rockie Mountains. That said, the car has been having fits lately, as it neared 40,000 miles. First the key fob would fail to work - which I attributed to the three year old battery. Then, in order, came the following: 1. The moon roof would reopen after being closed. 2. The emergency brake light falsely indicated failure - for one day and one day only. There was no issue engaging or releasing the brake. The message never reappeared after that day. 3. The lights on the MMI system controls came on simultaneously, quit, and then the system shut down. 4. If you inadvertently bump the radio control (which fails) you can hear the speakers attempting to connect, continuing so until the ignition is turned off. 5. The hydraulics for the rear hatch failed numerous times. But, re-engaged after I turned over the ignition. 6. The doors would no longer open when using the key fob. 7. The entire vehicle died when attempting to start up - as a result, the ignition key would not release. 8. The key finally released after the battery was jump started. 9. I’ve been trying to get my dealer to return my calls for three days. I loved my car up to this point. Needless to say, I am not feeling the least bit civil. Am I the only one to encounter such failures?

Submitted: 2009-11-25 | ID: 36501

Gary Milne, Aberdeenshire

Audi A6 Avant 2.0TDI Multitronic 2008

Solidly built and finished but not a nice car to drive in anything but dry, perfect road conditions. Absolute nightmare in the snow and even got stuck last year in a Supermarket car park (which was flat!!!) and on a main bus route in town. Reverse park assist also goes off even if you are in a clear area and takes 5 or so seconds to get it’s bearings and switch off. Sat Nav has some strange ideas about destinations and it would be great to be able to just enter a post code! Can’t wait for the lease to end and to get my next car and have even installed a countdown display on my computer to show me how long to go.

Submitted: 2009-05-21 | ID: 36550

Diane Murray, Bute

Audi A6 Avant 2.0 tdi 2006

Not what I expected compared to my last A6 2.5 tdi; poor fuel consumption, used to get 42mpg, now 34mpg. No power when pulling away in first, cuts out without warning if you don’t keep the revs well up in first and second, had the same fault that someone else mentioned i.e. the high level light let in water and the tailgate filled up with water when it rained. Sat nav was great when driving from London to Scotland but is rubbish where we live - keeps trying to send me up one way streets. All in all disappointed compared to the older models and would definitely go for the larger engine next time, feel the 2.0 is a false economy.

To be honest, I have noticed this as well, however I am basing it on my previous VW Bora 1.9tdi 115. To be fair, the A6 is a much bigger car, and so I expected some difference. I would get the fuel filter changed and see what difference that makes. Unfortunately, all the PD MkIIs Audi/VW Tdis 2004-2010 are pretty shocking for consumption compared to the PD MkIs. CDTI engines from 2010 onwards aren’t much better either apparently. Unfortunately, its just a suffering of the fact that they were brilliant on the PD1s to begin with - Matthew Nixon from Lancashire

Submitted: 2009-02-13 | ID: 36548

Martin Robinson, England

Audi A6 Avant S Line 2008

I have just taken delivery of a new A6 2.0 Tdi S Line from www.carlease.uk.com. Fabulous car, great value for money compared to everything else on the market. Better build quality than other manufacturers. Everything about the deal from Grange Court Leasing was excellent, the price, how quickly they delivered and how efficient the company was....Thanks guys.... looking forward to changing in 2 years time with you...

Submitted: 2009-01-02 | ID: 36547

Chris Firth, Surrey

Audi A6 Avant A6 Avant SE 2008

I have had my brand New Audi A6 Avant since Monday - today is Thursday - the car is fantastic to drive and the build quality is very good. It is a very roomy car with lots of gadgets which you think having paid for the kit so that you can use an iPod it would come with the cable that attaches the iPod to the ICE system... no that is an extra £30. I have tried to use the Audi sat nav system which is operated through the MMi system and it is so difficult to operate and when you do manage to get an address locked in you find it is only accurate to about 2 miles. I had two Audi salesmen trying to get the thing sorted and teach me how to use it - that was two hours wasted. I have given up on the Audi sat nav and will use my after market unit - a Garmin Nuvi that finds and locates addresses accurately. As far as I am concerned the Audi system is a total waste of money and is now an ornament. I did not expect such poor quality for this money. If the rest of the car was like it a would have returned the car. My next car (probably not Audi) will not have a built in sat nav!

I have an A4 with Sat Nav MMI system and it is really simple to use..can I suggest it’s not the system but the user! - :-) David from England

Have an Audi A6 2008 2.0TDi S-line with MMI Sat Nav and it is very acurate and easy to use once you have set up the personal settings, is acurate to every corner, junction and my front door. Very pleased with my car and hope to report the same in another years time - from Cambridgeshire

Satnav is fine, the only problem is the lack of an accurate post code, it won’t accept the full code so have to rely on house number etc. Must be the user! - Brian Green from Yorkshire

I blame the user myself as I bought an Audi A6 Avant 3 years ago and have nothing but praise for the vehicle. It is ease to drive, park and very comfortable. The after-sales is exelent, the MMI is so easy to use, and the sat nav has been nothing but spot on every time. Before you diss it try a little patience, after all the machine is only as good as the person putting in the instructions. If you can`t do it right, how do you expect the machine to? - Mike Parr from Lancashire

Submitted: 2008-12-12 | ID: 36537

David Hills, England

Audi A6 Avant 2.8. 2008

Extremely roomy car with lots of extras; but they do cost a lot extra... Wouldn’t have bought a less powerful model and will opt for the RS6 once I come to buy another. Only problem is stopping my BMW driving wife from stealing it.

Submitted: 2008-09-17 | ID: 36531

John Thornber, England

Audi A6 Avant SE Mutitronic 2006

This is my fourth A6 Avant and I am not over impressed. At 15000 miles the ECU unit on the gear box has failed, this happened at approximately 45000miles on my previous A6 Avant multitronic. I am not sure that the quality is being maintained. Why do Audis always get bigger at each revamp? Next time I think I shall buy an A4 Avant.

Submitted: 2008-09-15 | ID: 36534

Alex Brett, Yorkshire

Audi A6 Avant 2ltr tdi se 2007

This is my 3rd A6 Avant,... yes, the shape , size and high tech MMI are all very impressive, but some how the car lacks the older models ’Classic’ combination of solid well designed reliability, together with understated good looks... there used to be plenty of ’in cabin’ storage, but now all the really useful spaces have gone, including the glove box (CD player)... and worst of all the front seats are atrocious, the seatbelts are fitted to the seat, reducing the width, and my right leg and hip are perched on a ridge, as I struggle to find a comfortable driving position. Why oh why produce a high tech car with low tech seats?? perhaps SE means ’seating economy’? I wish Audi would get back to the supremely comfortable seats that led me to the A6 a decade ago and perhaps the designers should remember that we are not all 25 year olds, with 28inch waists... even if they are !

Totally agree: when compared to the older A6, seats are narrower, more uncomfortable, storage room woeful, generally cabin feels cramped. Also, would love to know where the supposed fuel figure of 50 mpg comes from. I can manage around 40 on a good day without being at all heavy-footed. All-in-all a worse car than the previous model but with a better engine - John Cummings from England

Submitted: 2008-08-27 | ID: 36535

Tony Kirkby, Berwickshire

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 s-line 2005

I’ve owned this car for 8 months, and frankly I’m disappointed with the ride, handling and comfort, which is of the tooth-loosening variety. Maybe it’s my fault for buying the s-line variant, but those wishing for comfort should beware. Reliability and performance are good, however, and economy for a car of this size and performance is also credit-worthy - typically in the 40 mpg area on longer runs, and 35 around town. Load carrying is also good, although Volvo and Mondeo may offer better options if this is important. Overall, OK, but I won’t buy another.

If you would known what S-line means and stands for, you would have already answered all your problems listed above. S stand for: sport transmission, sport suspension, sport interior and seats and sport engine - Adrian S from Romania

Submitted: 2008-08-07 | ID: 36532

Debra Griffin, Gloucestershire

Audi A6 Avant 2006

Multitronic cuts out in reverse... Audi had the car in for 3 months and their proposed cure was to increase the idle revs to 1500rmp - some modification! Now cuts out going forward too! At least the contract is up in September. The car pulls away so slowly that I take my life in my hands every time I need to turn right across traffic... Audi say this is a one off. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had this problem.

Submitted: 2008-07-14 | ID: 36546

Roy Hunter, Stirlingshire

Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi 2006

Well built and economic. Handles really well for such a large car. Engine too small - go for the next size up. Would not have another as it has had two major breakdowns- complete clutch failure and engine management failure.

Submitted: 2008-06-30 | ID: 36545

Mike A, Cambridgeshire

Audi A6 Avant 2.7 tdi multitronic 2006

The best car I have had. The engine is smooth and powerful, the multitronic automatic is fast and as there are no real gears, it is super-smooth. Fuel economy from such a big diesel is good. The mmi navigation is much better than the BMW idrive, although I prefer touch screens like you have in the Jaguars. No problems with the car, normal service costs. All in all a very relaxing drive and easy to own.

Submitted: 2008-06-20 | ID: 36544

E Bari, England

Audi A6 Avant 2006

We have found it to be an excellent vehicle. Very roomy with large load carrying capacity. The base model is more than ample. Sat nav is a bit fiddly - my old Toyota Camry map system was easier to use but it is acceptable. MPG is excellent and reliability faultless. Service is only after 19 000 miles which makes it very inexpensive to run. I like it so much I have just ordered another one.

Submitted: 2008-05-12 | ID: 36543

Neil, Gloucestershire

Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi S Line 2007

Very impressed with my A6. 20,000 miles without fault. The car is accomplished in every way, quick crisp handling, very comfortable, huge space, stylish and average 40 - 45mpg. Audi MMI is excellent so much easier to use than iDrive on a 5 series, my only regret is that I do not have the iPod connection. Overall I could not be happier.

Submitted: 2008-05-01 | ID: 36542

Peter Williams, Bedfordshire

Audi A6 Avant 2.0 tdi Avant SLine Auto 2008

Big mistake - multitronic transmission is poor pulling away - apparently does not have a torque converter - uses an auto clutch - comes in with a bang if your are not careful and also a tendency to wheel spin (they should have fitted traction control with the electronic stability pack fitted) , noisy engine at low speeds and road noise is not good (compared with my LR Discovery) - Navigation is poor - out of 27 destinations could only find 10 with any accuracy - sad but the only good thing is the fuel consumption averaging at 36.7 over the first 1500 miles - unfortunately its on a 3yr lease - if I could change it I would. Compared with the LR discovery it is not good value for money - downsized to be greener - there must be better cars out there!

Submitted: 2008-02-12 | ID: 36524

Christopher Scourfield, Neath Port Talbot

Audi A6 Avant 2.0TDi SE 2005

Loads of space drives really well and always feel safe when driving. Downside for me is it has been back to the dealership 6 times. 4 times for a flat battery which needed roadside assistance. They are now telling me that its due to the retro fitted tow bar (electrics playing up with the canvas wiring). 1 x tailgate full of water hi level brake light seal leaking, i noticed yesterday that it�s leaking again!

I bought this car from Swansea Audi, who mentioned nothing about these issues. Even when asked directly. I also returned the car to a dealer several times with the same problem. It was eventually tracked down to a short in the horn. This was replaced and the problem was cured, until recently... This was not the only electrical problem with this car, the electronic parking brakes failed and both rear caliper units had to be replaced. The EPB is a very poor feature of this car IMHO. The rear screen wash caught fire while on the M5. The fuse box in this particular car is not as per the handbook so the roadside assistance cannot easily help if things go wrong. The horn has recently failed again so if you are looking for an A6 Avant don’t buy CT55FPZ. It’s a Friday Audi - Tony Harper from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 2008-01-21 | ID: 36525

James Bell, Yorkshire

Audi A6 Avant 2.0tdi se 2007

Nice looks and great on the motorway you would have thought I would have given this car a better rating. The problem I have with this car is the fiddly MMI which distracts your attention from the road to use. I have also have also had a new head gasket at 3000 miles and problems with oil in the water which the main dealers cant get rid of. This gives me a warning light and a beep every time i start the car up which is annoying as it has now been in four times to rectify and they just cant get rid of it. I will be changing this car shortly and going back to a 4x4. I was tempted by the Q7 but with the problems I have had with this car I will be steering away from Audi. I tried hard to be more economical and give the 2.0diesel a go but it just isnt for me.

Submitted: 2007-11-05 | ID: 36527

Phil King, Cumberland

Audi A6 Avant 2007

Very happy with my diesel A6 Avant. Lots of room. Huge boot for the golf clubs. I prefer this to the BMW 5 Series Touring.

Submitted: 2007-10-25 | ID: 36528

Terry Bebbington, Lancashire

Audi A6 Avant Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TFSI 2007

This is the sixth Audi I’ve had now and it’s done nothing to dissuade me that Audi really are the best when it comes to this type of vehicle. This car has everything you’ll ever need and comes with a ‘fitted as standard’ list as long as your arm. It looks classy and drives like a dream. I’m getting 36mpg, which is slightly higher than the book. Excellent car in every respect.

Submitted: 2007-08-07 | ID: 36529

Geoff, Lanarkshire

Audi A6 Avant 2007

Space is in abundance in the Audi A6 Avant. Beautifully designed and the BMW's iDrive system is easy to use and quickly becomes automatic. This is a very comfortable drive, especially if you choose air suspension. There are plenty of individual options that help you to style the A6 Avant to your own particular tastes. Highly recommended and a good addition to the estate market.

Submitted: 2007-07-24 | ID: 36530

• A response has been made to Ted Wright (11/12/2010 22:25:55)
  • A response has been made to Nici Burn (26/10/2010 21:45:08)

• Declan Fletcher's question has been answered: "I had something similar last year - floor pan full of water one morning. Turns out the drainage holes at the bottom of the rear most bit of the engine - Rich Livingstone from Somerset' '..." (12/02/2013 15:42:00)

Audi A6 Avant

2.0 TDi S-line 170 - The new Audi A6 range claims to provide even better performance than the previous range of A6 vehicles which relied predominantly upon the 2.0 TDi engine for the majority of its sales.

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report