Audi A3 Sportback consumer car reviews and road tests

Audi A3 Sportback

Audi A3 Sportback consumer reviews by year of make:2003 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

Audi A3 Sportback consumer car reviews

David Martin, Staffordshire

Audi A3 Sportback 1.6 TDI 2011

Rear tyre wear is poor, rear tyres changed at 12,000 miles, apparently this is normal and there is no problem with the rear suspension. Road noise is bad, rain runs off the roof into the car if you open a window or lift the hatch back. For the price you would expect better. I will not be buying Audi again. Oh the good point, only £20 a year road tax but £150 for rear tyres every year!

Submitted: 2014-04-02 | ID: 93552

Andrew Gray, Dumfriesshire

Audi A3 Sportback 2008

I’ve had my Audi for 2 years and in that 2 years I’ve had problems with the electrics and the back end of the car. It’s like driving a shopping trolley! Although the fuel economy is good, I would not recommend this car and I will not be looking to purchase another.

Submitted: 2012-06-13 | ID: 36422

Guclu Ulgenalp, Turkey

Audi A3 Sportback 1.6 TDÄ° 7 gear Stronic 2011

Great car. Great fuel economy. Ä°t is the perfect car to drive in the city.

Submitted: 2011-08-09 | ID: 36421

Hannah Adnan, Lancashire

Audi A3 Sportback 5 door sport 2003

I’ve owned this car for just over four years. It’s nice to drive and looks good, however, lots of reoccurring electrical problems and other issues make it unreliable. I would not buy another Audi.

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 36416

Lee Hemming, Shropshire

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9 tdi sport 2009

I spec’d the car in Ibis white with privacy glass with black and red seats. It looks stunning and is great to drive. No problems with the noise level although the front tyres are down to 3mm with only 11000 miles on the clock. As for the doors sticking in the winter I had the same problem with my volvo V50. I planned ahead and rubbed vasaline around the door seals and hey presto doors opened every morning. Fuel consumption is amazing, averaging 50 - 55 mpg around town, even managed to get it upto 74.7 but that was a week of pensioner driving!!!!! Only had 1 fault. One of the front fog lamps was getting moisture in it. The dealer collected the car from my office did the repair and returned the car fully valeted inside and out. Best dealer service I have ever recieved.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-02-12 | ID: 36417

Vivien Barber, Hampshire

Audi A3 Sportback 1.6 2009

I have several unnecessary niggles with my A3. Biggest is the doors freezing up whenever there’s a bit of frost - this has NEVER happened with any other car I’ve owned! Three days ago I was reduced to hanging a lead out of a house window, and plugging in a hair dryer to open the driver’s door. And I’m tired of driving along with warning lights telling me a door is not shut, when I’ve tried and failed to open it. The staff in the dealership say they haven’t had any other complaints. I don’t believe them. Also the heating/cooling system is inadequate; in spite of advice to turn the air to recirculating, the car never properly cools in summer. And I want my feet cool. The heater gets there after a while, but again not necessarily to my feet. I’m past complaining about the barely or unreadable mileometer and other dials; just consult my wristwatch instead, for time, and am glad I can at least read the speedometer. And why isn’t there an outside temperature display? This is supposed to be a luxury car. My much-regretted 11 year old Mazda 323 didn’t freeze up, dashboard information could be read under all conditions, and told what the outside temperature was. Also warmed/cooled my feet. It only gets 3 stars because it’s never broken down (and neither did the Mazda), and I don’t bang my head when getting in. The seats are comfortable too, and the driving position’s good. That said, why does a modern car freeze up? It’s colder in Germany. I bought it to keep for ten years....

I can confirm the doors freezing up. It happened to me twice this winter and this with only few degrees below zero. Also regrettable the quality of some details for a premium car like the Audi A3 is meant to be. (e.g., non-resistant glues abundantly used, squeaky front suspensions) and the showers you get when you open doors/windows in rain/snow conditions) - Pevarello Paolo from Italy

Submitted: 2010-12-27 | ID: 36419

Lorna Pritchard, Devon

Audi A3 Sportback 2009

I have had the Audi A3 since July and it has been in the garage for 10 days with damp in the car boot and my complaining about passengers getting very wet when opening the doors and windows - just not a trickle but more like a stream of water. Disappointed in several aspects of the car, which we thought for the price would have been exceptional.

Submitted: 2010-09-28 | ID: 36418

Peter Harris, Somerset

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9 TDi SE 2009

Solid car, comfy, quite nippy, my best fuel return has been 64.5 mpg! On the negative side, Sportback is difficult for entry/exit if you are tall/rotund, as I am. DON’T open the driver’s window after it has rained and whilst on the move...you WILL get soaked as a result. Overall, great "little" car. A gleaming model also turns heads.

We bought a 2009 Audi A3 like yours in July. We have been very disappointed in the fact that passengers or whoever is driving get very very wet getting in the car and opening the windows as you have said. It is driving me mad - have even taken it back to the garage many times and complained but nothing can be done. It’s like a stream dripping off the roof. It is also not a manufacturing fault, so cannot take it back on the 30 day basis. Quite disappointed as I thought this car would have been perfect, especially for the price - Lorna Pritchard from Devon

Submitted: 2010-06-05 | ID: 36412

Dennis Cutts, Sussex

Audi A3 Sportback SE 2.0 Sports TFCI 140 2010

I cannot believe how noisy this thing is!! I have never known noise like it. It’s like being at a rock concert every time you drive it.

I don’t believe you at all. You’re driving bad! - Pepe Pepe from Argyllshire

Submitted: 2010-05-19 | ID: 36414

David Ashton, Derbyshire

Audi A3 Sportback 2008

Well made. nice to drive, nippy and very economical. £35 road tax but congestion charge concession was never instituted... to quote Transport for London - "It was one of Red Ken’s daft ideas dumped by Boris."

This is a follow up: The only downside to the A3 sportback has been tyre wear. the original fronts wore down to 1.6mm at 14,760 miles. At the time I was in France & replaced them at Norauto in Nice. I contacted Michelin at Stoke & complained, they told me to send the tyres back to them, great idea..dump the passengers or the tyres? I told them I would keep a check on the replacements and would contact them if there was a problem. That set wore down to 3mm at 11,500 miles 7 were sent back to Michelin on january 4th. As of today 15th April I still await a response from Michelin. So a great car spoiled by rubbish tyres - David Ashton from Derbyshire

I own an A3 Sportback 170tdi black edition which came on Bridgestones with only 9,000 miles on the clock. I now run on Michilen ps3 and am achieving 14,000 miles with far better handling so I would say this is good. I would also say the VW Golf is a far better car to drive - Martin Conway from Devon

Submitted: 2009-04-24 | ID: 36427

Jim Robertson, Stirlingshire

Audi A3 Sportback Sports Back 5 door 2007

I did a search on this car because I was totally gob smacked at the road noise the car develops. Had it in to the local Audi dealer who tells me this is a common complaint and nothing they can do? I will try to look at fitting quieter road tyres to see if that helps? Overall the car is a good car although a little tight on space and way too expensive if buying new.

Submitted: 2009-03-23 | ID: 36430

Ian McPhee, Isle of Anglesey

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9TDI 2008

Lovely car to drive if you can put up with the road noise. It is by far the noisiest car I have owned. Shame because the car excels in all other areas.

Submitted: 2008-02-22 | ID: 36423

Colin Bradbury, Oxfordshire

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 140 PS 2007

Great performer, exhilirating drive and high build quality. This is Audi doing what Audi does best - designing and building quality cars. Driving the A3 Sportback really is a pleasure.

Submitted: 2007-11-07 | ID: 36426

Philip McNulty, Shropshire

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 Sport 3 dr 2007

My A3 Sportback has given me nothing but reliable and comfortable driving in the 8 months I have owned it. It has made the 5.30am start to my working day something to look forward to!

Submitted: 2007-09-06 | ID: 36424

Alan Whittle, Edinburgh

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 Sport 5 dr 2007

Although I only took delivery 5 weeks ago, so far I am very pleased I chose this car over other makes I had been considering. Motorway cruising is immensely enjoyable and so far I have achieved an average MPG of 42. Performance and fuel efficiency was not my only consideration as I have a young child and therefore space was a major concern, however, the Audi A3 certainly has room enough for the car seat, pram and everything else needed on long and short journeys.

Submitted: 2007-08-06 | ID: 36425

• A response has been made to Vivien Barber (27/12/2010 20:47:42)
  • A response has been made to Peter Harris (05/06/2010 21:04:06)

• "When I put the power on it writes safe on the screen. After going through the manual it needs a code which I can’t find in the manual. What should I ..." (Richard Addai, 15/12/2011 09:22:43)
  • "Should the fuel and temperature gauge be lit up - the dial seems dim and I can’t read the sections, only the stalk is illuminated. Can anyone help?..." (D H, 11/02/2011 11:29:17)
  • "Just bought my new car. On cold nights, left at work, there is a lot of condensation inside. Any help as to what might be wrong? Do I have to leave a..." (Steve, 25/01/2011 10:31:42)

Audi A3 Sportback

1.9 TDI Special Edition - Fantastic value for money makes the A3 Sportback a serious rival to the Golf and the Focus. The 1.9 TDI Special Edition is also a very green car and exempt from the Congestion Charge. Road Tax is only £35 a year.

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report