Alfa Romeo 166 consumer car reviews and road tests

Alfa Romeo 166 consumer reviews by year of make:1999 2001 2003 2004 2007

Alfa Romeo 166 consumer car reviews

Peter Banks, New Zealand

Alfa Romeo 166 3.0L V6 Sportronic 2001

I have had Fiat 128, 125T, 124 Series 3, 131; Jaguars Mk2, Org S-Type, XJ6 S1 and 2, XJS V12; Ford Fairmont Ghia and now the Alfa 166 3.0L and it’s the best car and fun I have ever had. It’s smooth at times, but roars like a Maserati (my next car) when I ask it too. I also have a BMW X5 4.4L for day to day use. But the Alfa 166 is also my wife’s favourite car as well. Just change the oil every 10k and cam belt every 60k and you should have no trouble. Maintenance with any car is the key to success.

Submitted: 2013-06-16 | ID: 36317

Darryl Nestoros, London

Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 Sportronic 2001

I had mine almost four years and absolutely love it! Style, power, comfort and you don’t see many around, waited since 1998 to get one. I use Alfa specialist for all repairs. Fairly economical in the right conditions and I’m always looking forward to driving it. <br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-01-04 | ID: 36316

Rod Simcox, Gloucestershire

Alfa Romeo 166 V6 24V squinty 1999

This car is quite simply a classic in the best possible sense. I have never been let down by this beautiful thing in 7 years of ownership. As a dedicated motorcyclist I could usually take cars or leave them, but this car has opened my eyes. The engine delivers its creamy surge with so much character and style, and the body is superbly sculpted. Yes it is heavier than some, but amazingly poised and nimble. So many other cars are spoiled by a slightly notchy gear selection or the feeling that clutch and gearbox are somehow only 99.9% in sympathy. Not in this car. The whole operation is utterly seamless, with the slickest, most sophisticated manual gear change I have ever come across. As eye candy, and even more as a drive, my old Alfa 166 V6 puts an awful lot of later cars to shame. I know, because I have recently been tempted to treat myself to another car - and after each test drive I have climbed back into my 166 only to re-discover that it totally and utterly knocked the socks off the competition. Maybe I’ll keep it for ever.

Submitted: 2011-05-25 | ID: 36315

David Nicoll, Northamptonshire

Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS 2001

I bought my 166 as a low mileage car with 2 previous owners. Like all cars of its age it needed some work, but that was reflected in the purchase price and in common with many larger executive saloons (especially Alfas) it represented tremendous value for money. Given how much everyone who has driven an Alfa falls in love with them, it amazes me how they remain such great value in the used car market. Whilst the entry level model doesn’t generate the same throaty rumble of the infamous Alfa V6, it remains a huge pleasure to drive. From smooth, comfortable motorway cruising to a high revving winding B road, this Alfa delivers a smile. Yes, the BMW 5 series is more reliable (and is rear wheel drive as opposed to the Alfa’s front wheel delivery). But you will pay more for a similar aged and specified model, and given the choice between some Teutonic efficiency or Italian passion quite honestly there is no competition. Only one car in this class of motor puts a huge smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel. I came, I saw, I was conquored. One drive, and I defy you not to become a fully fledged Alfisti.

Submitted: 2010-03-11 | ID: 36313

Ian Turner, Berkshire

Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 Sportronic 2003

Purchased from new - I’ve done 62K in six years and the car has been faultless. Comfortable and solid, long distances are not a problem in this car. However, for a fairly large car, she is also pretty nimble & quick cross country too. It makes just the best noise you could wish for when you use the V6 to your advantage. You can just feel the smile spread across your face when you power up a hill in this lady! My first Alfa was a 2 litre Alfetta nearly 30 years ago. I’ve owned and driven many different cars in between but this car is very special. It’s the longest I’ve ever kept a car and I think she will do me for another year or two yet...

Submitted: 2009-08-28 | ID: 36314

Trevor Salter, England

Alfa Romeo 166 1.9 MJet Veloce 2004

Following 18 months and 50,000 (yes fifty thousand) miles in a 2000 2.0 TS I was persuaded by my local Alfa independent dealer, Monza Sport, to try a 1.9 MJet . Well, to say the least, I was impressed. Fast and bags of torque. They agreed to a remap as part of the purchase price and I became the happy and well entertained owner of a 185bhp 156 with huge amounts of torque. On their advice I chose a 1.9 rather than the larger diesel as I was told that the extra weight of the 5 cylinder engine created a less well balanced car due to understeer. I had been happy with the TS. The MJet is even better. It requires a completely different driving technique; plenty of power from 2000 to 4000 revs compared with the need to revel in the revs of the TS to get the performance and less need to stir the 6 speed box of the diesel. So what stands out? Well it gets driven as hard if not harder than the TS and is returning an average of 43 mpg on BP ultimate; that’s about 10 mpg better than the TS. The updates to trim and air con are good. Handling on the optional 17 inch wheels is slightly improved over the previous car and the car remains an entertaining drive. The downside? Well if you bought one new, then early levels of depreciation will not have amused you but by buying a fully serviced, low mileage second hand car, someone else has taken that hit. I have done 69,000 miles in Alfa 156’s now and despite dire warnings in the press, the cars have proved reliable in general. They do wear out front wishbone bushes and drop links on the front anti-roll bar and bushes in the rear torsion bars but all are quite cheap to get repaired by a garage or easy to do yourself with a fairly basic level of mechanical skill. What improvement/change would I make. Well I’m considering fitting a Q diff. (can be fitted to all six speed boxes) to try to put a little more of the torque and power onto the road, particularly when its wet. Oh, and despite the air con. I wish my car had the sunshine roof. To sum up, fun to drive, a little bit different and not German. Make sure its serviced and find yourself a good specialist garage like I did.

Submitted: 2009-06-17 | ID: 36320

Guy van der Meulen, England

Alfa Romeo 166 2.4 jtd 1999

I bought this car with 247000 km and 7 years old. Fabulous driving experience and amazing sound. Sixth gear comes in handy enabling an economical drive, consuming only a 19.7 a liter. However, the turbo engine,cruise,steering assistance and superb breaks may tempt for sporty driving . brilliant seats and high comfort. Model and design of interior and ’street looks’ are among the top of the market. speakers in the back are far from impressive. Superb handling and fast in corners. Even in the Dutch climate never had any trouble with engine or starting. electronics of left window had to be replaced at 249000. Aircon sensors needed fixing and homokinetic as well. Minor issues for a great driving experience.The best car I ever had. Even though I resented disposing of my good old Rover 620SI, which in fact was a BMW with Honda engine:)

Submitted: 2008-07-14 | ID: 36319

Ralph Tandy, Buckinghamshire

Alfa Romeo 166 2007

Nothing I have driven, not Mercedes, not BMW even comes close to this car. First class.

Submitted: 2007-09-06 | ID: 36318