VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER questions and answers

VOLKSWAGEN Transporter

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER models. Help and advice on everything VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER. Feel free to ask and answer as many VOLKSWAGEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Geraldine Summers, Bristol

Volkswagen Transporter 2003 My VW Transporter was in a garage for repair to the rear driver side. When I picked it up the dash board instruments including speedometer, mileage display etc are no longer working. I have now been told it is the circuit board and it will need to be replaced, as the power is going to the unit but it isn't working. Any ideas about this problem and whether it is it just a coincidence that it happened while undergoing other repairs? Thanks

Submitted: 14/04/2014 19:59:50 | ID: 94218

Shirley woods, Devon

Does anyone know if there is any problems if you do not replace gates & freewheel couplings. VW advise to have this done at 120,0000 miles .Anyone out there had any bad experiences.

Submitted: 11/04/2014 18:16:31 | ID: 94102

Paul Leaford, Essex

Volkswagen Transporter 1994

I have a problem with the cigarette lighter on my Volkswagen Transporter keeps blowing the fuse. I bought a new one but still have the same problem. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 08/04/2014 15:47:59 | ID: 93973

Gary Walton, Lancashire

Volkswagen Transporter 2010

I have a Volkswagen Transporter T5. My problem is the glow plug comes on and the vehicle lacks any power and struggles to get past 60 mph. What can I do about this please?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 11:43:54 | ID: 93746

Hugh Lacey, Devon

Volkswagen Transporter 1997

Hi, I hope someone can help. My Volkswagen Transporter`s turbo does not kick in. I get positive pressure under load on a test gauge, however the engine isn’t getting the benefit. I feel the gases are lost through the exhaust. I thought it may be the EGR but the insertion of a blanking plate didn’t fix it. It`s only done 40,000 miles and is left standing for long periods over winter. Any ideas? Is it a Vane or waste gate turbo? Regards. (1.9)

Submitted: 01/04/2014 09:20:40 | ID: 93713

Gerry Armour, Ireland

Volkswagen Transporter 2000

I have a Volkswagen Transporter tdi 2.4 and the glowplug light comes on. The engine misses when I get this light, when cancelled the engine runs better until the light comes back on. The computer says sensor problem, what sensor?

Submitted: 13/03/2014 11:59:53 | ID: 62791

Vista Mgweba, South Africa

Volkswagen Transporter 2002

Hi there, please help me. I have a 2004 Volkswagen Velociti 1.6i and it just died the other day. When I started it it would start and switch off immediately continuously, so I took it somewhere where they reset the computer box and then it started just fine, but ever since then it doesn’t idle properly and it is giving back smoke on the exhaust. They put it back on the computer and the computer picked up that the MAP sensor is faulty and they replaced it, but it’s still the same even with this brand new MAP sensor. The car was recently serviced. Does anyone know anything about this problem please? Thank you.

Submitted: 13/03/2014 11:49:55 | ID: 62785

Gerry Armour, Bedfordshire

Volkswagen Transporter 2002

My Volkswagen Transporter`s glow plug light comes on and the engine misses. The computer shows up a sensor problem. When the light has been put off the engine runs okay for a short time. Can anyone suggest what`s wrong please?

Submitted: 13/03/2014 11:34:03 | ID: 62767

Eam Byrne, Warwickshire

Volkswagen Transporter 2010

Hi, I own a 2010 Volkswagen Transporter T5 2010. Recently, after I had completely filled the van with diesel, the fuel gauge indicator only indicated that I had 1/4 of a tank. Now it is showing no fuel at all (again when the tank is full). I have checked the fuses and can’t see anything wrong. Does anyone have any experience of this or could advise me? Regards. (TDI)

Hi Eam, I do not have direct experience of the 2010 Transporter, however I have on many occasions had the issue you describe above. I suspect that your (fuel sender unit) float is the problem. In your description you state that it reads 1/4 now it indicates zero fuel. In the past several times (with different vehicles) I had the same problem, I checked the fuse and the condition of the wiring from the sender. What I discovered each time after removing the sender unit, was that the float had been (somehow) pierced and after filling up the float took on board some of the fluid and gradually (the float itself) filled sinking to the bottom, indicating that the tank was empty. Check the fuse, the wiring at the sender unit and if problem persists remove the unit and check the float. You will know immediately if the float is full of liquid. Hope this helps you out. Tom from Ireland

Submitted: 13/03/2014 10:40:36 | ID: 62754

Niall Seery, Ireland

Volkswagen Transporter 2004

Where does the ABS sensor loom go on my Volkswagen Transporter, front passenger side? (Careville)

Submitted: 07/03/2014 11:20:20 | ID: 62475

Liam Okane, County Londonderry

Volkswagen Transporter 2005

Hi. I have an 05 t5 2.5 Volkswagen Transporter that has been in 4 garages for repair and is still not fixed. My problem started with dirty fuel causing the van to stop. The tank was cleaned out and complete fuel system was cleaned but it has a serious miss and judders when revved out, sticks at 4500 revs then jumps up and down. It has had injectors done, new airflow meter, turbo checked, egr valve blocked, manifold changed and new heater plugs, but is still missing. 110k miles, vagcom showing no faults, all wires checked,. What else could it be, any ideas? Thanks. (Transporter t5 2.5)

Submitted: 04/03/2014 10:12:48 | ID: 62547

Len Harvey, Yorkshire

Volkswagen Transporter 2006

I am having problems with the heating control on the dashboard of my Volkswagen Transporter. After eight years of working fine I am not now able to direct the flow of air via the facial settings only on the screen. The fan is working fine. I have heard other people have experienced similar problems but cannot find a DIY solution with some explanatory diagrams to assist with disassembly/reassembly of the dash fascia. Can anyone offer any assistance and point me in the right direction of a good website? (Bilbo CELEX motorhome)

Hi Len, I had the same issue on my t5. http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic49523_post387238.html#387238. This guide will help. I have managed to re bend/straighten my cable for now. If you need to replace the braided cable then I would suggest using the same cable/part number as the existing one and not the solid core like others are suggesting. I found it way too stiff to move the controls. There are 3 cables behind there, which range from £8 to £12 from VW etc. It’s a tricky job due to access, but since straightening it mine has been good for 4 months now. I just take care turning it from windscreen to face. Good Luck. Jason Ranford from Essex

Submitted: 18/02/2014 15:56:16 | ID: 62228

Davide Castrignano, Italy

Volkswagen Transporter 2002

Ciao! I have a problem with my Volkswagen Transporter that sometimes the turbo does not work. I just switch off the van and restart again and it works normally. I`ve already changed all the filters (air, gasole), working normally for hundreds of kms and I have the problem back. The computer says "low pressure of fuel". Can anybody help me please? (Transporter 2.5 TDI)

The T5 is famous for this problem, mine did the same. Check out the turbo hoses first before you go to the intercooler (common fault), these split on the seam and you can not see it unless it is under load. Nathan from England

Submitted: 14/02/2014 14:59:26 | ID: 62091

Jun He, London

After engine started it beeped once, then the electronic power was all off inside the vehicle, but the headlights still worked as normal. When the engine is turned off, then all the lights come back to normal.

Submitted: 06/02/2014 21:41:11 | ID: 61809

Philip Lee, England

Volkswagen Transporter 2004

All dash lights on my Volkswagen Transporter come on okay. The glow plug light will go off after a few seconds. It turns over but won`t start straight away as it used to, it needs a lot of turning. Once hot it is fine. Is there a relay like our older VW number 109 somewhere? Does it have a temperature probe somewhere which could be faulty telling it not to put the plugs on? Plugs are okay. (Chassis/Cab T30 1.9TDI PD 85)

I am having the same problem. I think that the seal which the fuel injector sits in are leaking. The first thing is to check your engine oil level; if it is higher then the full recommended level your injector seals may be leaking diesel fuel, this means that too much diesel fuel is getting into your cylinder head what may make it harder to start your engine first thing in the morning or is you let it sit you van sit for a few hours. I hope this helps Mark Napthali from Australia

Submitted: 06/02/2014 15:27:55 | ID: 61754

Lucky Verdi, Middlesex

Volkswagen Transporter 1996

My Volkswagen Transporter has a problem with its fuel gauge. My van was off the road for quite some time so I connected the battery and it was working, but after some time the gauge stopped working so I want to know what the problem could be please? (1.9 d Transporter 800 special)

Hi, sorry to answer you question with a question, but did you manage to find the fault? I have a 2010 T5 TDi and have exactly the same problems as you have had, and I would be really grateful to hear how you got on. Regards. Eamon Byrne from England

Submitted: 04/02/2014 15:22:34 | ID: 61714

Michael Adejobi, Isle of Anglesey

Volkswagen Transporter 1990

What could be responsible for poor revs and rough idle of my Volkswagen T4 Transporter? At times it switches off in motion. When I start it up it will start again always at once but it will not accelerate as fast as usual? Please can anyone help me out?

Submitted: 03/02/2014 10:40:44 | ID: 90447

Vinnie Kelly, Ireland

Volkswagen Transporter 2005

I have a Volkswagen Transporter T5 1.9 tdi and when driving over 60 mph it loses power. If I switch off the engine and start again the power is back. A mate told me it might be an air flow meter that needs replacing because if it was turbo the van would blow out black smoke. Would anyone know more about this problem? Thanks.

I had similar problem with my car. Check the turbo pipes, probably blocked or have a little hole Cem Sengel from Lancashire

Has your van got a speed limiter fitted? Ray from England

Submitted: 28/01/2014 12:30:47 | ID: 61410

Michael Mora, Cornwall

Volkswagen Transporter 1994

Suddenly my Volkswagen Transporter`s cooling system warning light has started flashing and the temperature gauge goes to 1/2 temperature as soon as the ignition is switched on. The water level is correct and when driven although the gauge increases to nearly hot the fans do not come on. I have run up the engine until the fans start and checked the gauge which shows no increase from before? On some occasions whilst driving the flashing light will go off as normal but the gauge still indicates running hot. I have bled the system as per the manual. Any suggestions please? (Engine type AAB 2.4 Diesel)

Submitted: 28/01/2014 10:41:40 | ID: 61272

Richard Butt, Warwickshire

Volkswagen Transporter 1995

Hi, I have a 1995 Volkswagen Transporter t4 2.4 d and the clocks have stopped working apart from the battery light and the handbrake red lights which stay on. Also the orange light works as normal but nothing else works. Can anyone please help?

Submitted: 23/01/2014 16:20:47 | ID: 61293

Michele Dinning, Scotland

Volkswagen Transporter 2004

I`ve got a problem with my Volkswagen Transporter T5 1.9 diesel. When I accelerate to about 40-50 mph I feel a slight judder / chugging for a few seconds and then it accelerates fine. Sometimes when I’m putting my foot down to accelerate it`s not as responsive as it used to be, then it accelerates fine. I’m guessing it`s the fuel injectors/filters? Not been done in 12,000 miles. Any ideas? (1.9 diesel t5)

Sounds very like its vibration in fly wheel Tom from County Fermanagh

Submitted: 23/01/2014 09:12:17 | ID: 58457

Tom Kitchin, Devon

Volkswagen Transporter 2007

What could be causing air to be restricted coming out of the centre vents on the dash of my Volkswagen Transporter? (camper van)

Submitted: 09/01/2014 14:13:08 | ID: 60495

Tom Kitchin, Devon

Volkswagen Transporter 2007

What could be causing an obstuction in the ventilation system that`s blocking the centre outlets in the dash of my Volkswagen Transporter? (camper high top long wheel base)

Submitted: 07/01/2014 12:52:22 | ID: 60398

Richard Wright, Australia

Volkswagen Transporter 1996

I changed into fifth gear on my Volkswagen Transporter and had a loud spinning sound with no drive? It`s working fine in all other gears. What could it be?

Gearbox strip repair, sooner the better as if there is loose parts or debris floating about it could cause even more damage. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 30/12/2013 14:32:53 | ID: 57078

Marc Sheridan, Dorset

Volkswagen Transporter 2004

I have been using my Volkswagen Transporter T5 everyday with no problems. This morning I went out in it to take the dogs for a walk with no problems starting. I parked up and left it in gear, walked dogs and came back, went to start it but left it in gear and it jumped forward slightly. Now it won’t start, it won’t even turn over until I put a jump pack on it. Then it starts normally. I replaced the battery with a brand new VW one but still the same. It`s really strange but will start normally with a boost pack. What is causing this please? (2.5TDI 174 BHP Manual)

Submitted: 20/12/2013 11:07:42 | ID: 59524

Eidin Clery, Ireland

Volkswagen Transporter 2007

Hi, when I have to use my Volkswagen Transporter`s windscreen wipers they work usually for about 20 minutes and then don’t function right. They cut out or stop halfway across the windscreeen and eventually stop altogether. If I turn the engine off for a while they will start again and the same thing happens. Fuses seem fine. Does anyone know what it could be please?

Mate, I have excactly the same problem on my 09 T5 130 bhp. I first reported it when the warranty was valid to the local main dealer they said they couldn’t find any fault. Since then it has occured a few times, but is currently getting worse like you the wipers stop but the screenwash and the rear wiper still works i take the ignition key out wait for approx 15 mins and it will work again. It is so frustrating and dangerous in this current weather and I have lost faith in my local main Dealer who talks a lot but does nothing can anyone help with this please. Thank you. Malcolm Tobin from Dorset

Hi, I have 2007 t5 with the same problem, if you get to the bottom off the problem could you post it please, starting to leave van at home. Pete Smith from England

Check the bonnet catch adjustment and connections to Micra switch on it. It cuts power to wipers so doesn’t work when bonnet is open. Simon Smith from Yorkshire

Submitted: 20/12/2013 08:28:26 | ID: 59533

Nick Cann, Spain

Volkswagen Transporter 1992

My Volkswagen Transporter is lefthand drive. There is a warning light below the fuel/temperature gauge , the furthest left of all the warning lights. The display is a thermometer in water, and it won’t stop flashing! The coolant level is perfect, the temperature is always perfect when the engine is warmed up and it is getting on my nerves! I am selling the Transporter tomorrow, and I want to be sure everything is okay for the new owner. I was wondering if it was a water in fuel warning light, but I checked the bottom of the filter where you drain water from the circuit and there is none there. Thanks for any solution you might offer! (open back truck)

Submitted: 09/12/2013 16:17:15 | ID: 59009

Ross Lawson, England

Volkswagen Transporter 2004

Hi. I have a Volkswagen Transporter t5 on an 04 plate 1.9 tdi 104bhp and I want to know if there are two fans if you have a/c?

Submitted: 19/11/2013 10:46:54 | ID: 58042

Anita Tele, Nigeria

My Volkswagen Transporter T4 was dragging and not going at the desired speed so I changed the fuel pump and fuel filter, but a week later it still drags. Seems like it’s not getting enough fuel pumped. What could the cause be?

Submitted: 07/11/2013 09:26:06 | ID: 57431

Mike Rodent, Australia

Volkswagen Transporter 1997

When my Volkswagen Transporter van is warm and I have been driving along say a motorway and come to a stop, my engine will initially idle at around 1000 revs (the speed it was going when I took my foot off the clutch), but then slowly accelerates by itself up to about 2000 revs and sits there until you blip the throttle, turn on the AC or load the engine by letting out the clutch whilst in gear with the brakes on. (Sometimes you have to do all three) Also the throttle response seems sluggish. My VW dealer diagnosed this as a busted Idle valve controller and wanted me to buy a new one from him for $800. I imported an after market Idle valve controller from the UK (for $70 incl postage!) and he reluctantly fitted it but it hasn’t solved the problem. I accept that after market parts aren’t always good so I tracked down a wrecker and got an original VW idle valve, cleaned it out and fitted that but it hasn’t solved the problem either, so I’m thinking it probably isn’t the idle valve controller. When I disconnect the electrics from the IVC the engine responds as normal ie accelerates when you push the pedal down and drops off normally when you let it up. It’s been checked for hose leaks by two different mechanics and they couldn’t find anything - I’m wondering if anybody has any ideas about what I start looking at now? Have you seen this before and what was the cause? (T4)

Hi mate, I got the same problem. My T5 2004... losing the power. With my one I’m guessing it’s a bit different... when I stop the engine and start again... problems solving for the next 1h approx. 3 mechanics looked it... and nothing... couldn’t solve the problem. Changed regulator, diesel pump... I love my van but mechanics around me are not good I’m guessing. VW (service) charged me $1500 for 120000km service... and problem still appears... I was wondering if you found any solutions? Thanks mate Max Vincent from Australia

Sounds like something’s blocked in the fuel system and since it’s controlled by its own mind when not much fuel goes in it chokes and needs higher revves to stay on. Seb from Australia

Not much of an answer but did you have it checked with VAG? It might be electrical Manoj Bhika from South Africa

Submitted: 01/11/2013 15:16:59 | ID: 57188

Gbenga Michael, Nigeria

Volkswagen Transporter 2003

Which is the best van auto or manual and is the Volkswagen Transporter a good bus to use in Nigeria? Also what are the maintenance costs like?

Submitted: 28/10/2013 10:50:37 | ID: 56716

William Hayes, Ireland

Volkswagen Transporter 2002

I have a problem with my Volkswagen Transporter`s central locking which locks and re-opens again but will not stay locked. The passenger door seems to be the problem. What can I do?

Check for a broken wire at the door post. The wire will be broken from flexing inside the plastic cover, inside the sleeve from pillar to door and may not be visable. Test for continuity or if possible try to feel a weak spot by flexing the wire. Ray Cook from England

Hi. My VW Caravelle had the identical problem. It was a small over centre spring which had broken, so I copied the shape using some thin piano wire. Make sure you wind it the same way. A bit fiddly, but an almost free repair which the vw garage told me would cost a fortune for locks, wiring harnesses etc. richardwallinger@gmail.com Richard Wallinger from Leicestershire

Submitted: 17/10/2013 15:35:30 | ID: 56272

Stephen Clarke, England

Volkswagen Transporter 2006

Hello, my Volkswagen Transporter`s engine management light has started flashing whilst the power seems to be in a limp mode with the van not accelerating over 40mph. I’ve had no problems with the engine until yesterday, just after I ran it quite low on fuel and then refuelled, Ten miles later the light started. Could the low fuel have triggered the light? I’ve also realised that the brake lights work without having the key in the ignition, is this normal? Thanks. (2.5 4motion)

You may have a blocked fuel filter, t5/t4 diesel has a dual circuit filter, which filters both the fuel for lubricating the pump and the fuel to inject. Any plugging can damage the pump, so first easy step is replace the filter. If you do it yourself, be sure to fully fill the new filter with clean fuel with no air left in new filter or couplings, then re connect lines and start. Keep revs up for a minute to pass any air bubbles, then test drive. Good luck. Alasdair Macarthur from Australia

You probably need a new brake light switch. Good luck Francis Mc Cann from County Tyrone

Submitted: 10/10/2013 16:21:18 | ID: 56148

David Marsh, Lancashire

Volkswagen Transporter 2008

I have a Right Hand Drive Volkswagen Transporter Autosleeper Sandhurst 2008 on a ’08’ plate. My cigarette lighter is illuminated yet the lighter part doesn’t work. Although I’m a non-smoker I use the cigerette lighter socket to power my Satnav. As we’ve all become used to using a satnav it’s a bit of a nuisance as I keep on having to look at a map! I’ve looked at the wiring diagram in the handbook and there is no mention of a fuse, hopefully that’s all the problem is. Would anyone know exactly where the fuse is for the cigarette lighter on this vehicle? (VW 2.5 Autosleeper Sandhurst)

The same thing happened to me in the middle of nowhere. The vw fuse cards were useless, so I pulled every fuse starting at the top of block 1 and worked through, testing with a meter, luckily the bad fuse showed no visible break in the link, but tested open. I can’t remember exactly where it was, but it was the larger size fuse about halfway down, about 10-15 amp (Blue I think). Hope this is of some help to you. And a messageto VW: you’re fuse cards are totally infuriatingly useless. No idea which way up they go, what the stupid symbols mean or what card goes with what block. Thanks for nothing putting them in! Alasdair McCarther from Australia

Submitted: 08/10/2013 12:58:13 | ID: 54502

Slava Popovich, Russian Federation

Volkswagen Transporter 2009

What is the resistance of diesel fuel injectors on my Volkswagen Transporter?

Submitted: 30/09/2013 15:46:00 | ID: 52697

Kumar, Middlesex

Volkswagen Transporter 2011

While driving my Volkswagen Transporter at 40mph suddenly the engine speed revved up and white smoke was all over. I went to the dealer and there was nothing wrong. Since restart I`ve had no problems. What could it be please?

Submitted: 26/09/2013 16:21:26 | ID: 55031

Nasiru Zakariya, Nigeria

Volkswagen Transporter 2003

I have VW Sharan 2003 model and suddenly the internal security system got locked and the car could not start. I do not have the main key to de-energise. Because I am using the spare to start the car all these while. I was advised to use computer that can access the brain box to disable the security. Will this solve my problem? Thanks.

Submitted: 17/09/2013 13:44:55 | ID: 75586

Tom Toberty, Australia

Volkswagen Transporter 2012

Hello. The sliding door on my VW Multivan had closed and would not open. I worked out that the cable from the door handle to the latch on the rear of the door may have snapped or jumped its housing. I was unable to find advice on how to take off the door trim/card to repair the cable, so took it to the VW dealer. He said the cable had come off and charged me $375AUST, which, even at a hefty $80 an hour, is about four and a half hours work. Should it have taken that long to remove the door trim/card and reattach cable? Or, have I been taken? PS these sliding doors are big and need a bit of force to close fully - could this have caused the problem?

Submitted: 17/09/2013 10:43:42 | ID: 54281

John Braddon, England

Volkswagen Transporter 2009

I have a 2009 Volkswagen Transporter t28 transporter. Can anyone tell me if it comes with a built in alarm? When I lock it the red light comes on in the door pin but I don’t think it has an alarm as I have tried to set it off with no luck. Is there a special way to set it?

Submitted: 06/09/2013 11:52:25 | ID: 54052

Carl, England

Volkswagen Transporter 2010

Is there a common fault with the daytime running light on a Volkswagen Transporter? My near side is not working with no power going to it but the off side works fine. As my van has been in to VW for 3 days and they can’t sort the problem I thought I’d ask. They’re not the best at electrics from past experience. Any suggestions?

Submitted: 27/08/2013 14:38:58 | ID: 53647