VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions and answers: Page 4

VOLKSWAGEN Polo

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VOLKSWAGEN POLO models. Help and advice on everything VOLKSWAGEN POLO. Feel free to ask and answer as many VOLKSWAGEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Diane Frankson, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2009

Hi, I need your help please. This morning my Volkswagen Polo just felt like I was forcing it to go with a bit of a vibration and like it wants to cut off. Do you have any advice? Thanks. (1.6 comfortline)

Submitted: 21/02/2014 15:20:55 | ID: 61684

Joseph Kaira, Zambia

Volkswagen Polo 2002

My Volkswagen Polo fails to engage third gear when I press the accelerator hard and it disengages itself from the gears, as if one has suddenly shifted the automatic gear lever to neutral. If I press the accelerator gently or when the speed is at 30km/h and the rev count at 20/minx100 and then I suddenly push the accelerator a little hard, it does engage third gear. Thereafter I can press the pedal hard and it will engage the remaining gears though not quickly, but if the rev count exceeds 20.5/minx100 it will never engage thrid gear, no matter what you do and later it will disengage. Then when you press the accelerator the engine will sound free and high while the car is not pulling, as if it is in neutral. This is putting my life in danger as one time I almost caused an accident when trying to overtake and I suddenly lost speed due to this problem. Does anyone have a solution?

Submitted: 17/02/2014 10:56:53 | ID: 62169

Betsie De Waal, Namibia

Volkswagen Polo 2010

My Volkswagen Polo 1.4 is a 2010 model and its computer box is broken. Can I still drive the car?

Submitted: 17/02/2014 10:48:57 | ID: 61594

Abdul Aziz, Lancashire

Volkswagen Polo 2003

I have a 52 plate Volkswagen Polo which has a built in 6 disc cd changer. I have tried to use the cd player with a disc made at home via my computer and now when I put in the cd it loads up fine and says play tr 01. Now I don`t know if the cd player is not working or whether I have to press the play button and if that is the case how do I play it?

Submitted: 14/02/2014 11:04:29 | ID: 68207

Abdullah Davids, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2007

My 2007 Volkswagen Polo classic 1.6 just won`t srart. It`s been doing it for a few mornings now but after a few tries it works. Now I have no such luck at all. Does anybody know what it could be? (classic)

Submitted: 13/02/2014 12:02:52 | ID: 62041

Mark Holding, Devon

Volkswagen Polo 2004

Our Volkswagen Polo normally runs fine, but every now and then it revs high, loses power and comes to a standstill. Turning the engine off and then on again solves the problem for a few days. Any ideas? (1.4 petrol)

It’s going into limp mode. Does your ECP light come on? Mine’s doing the same thing. Take to VW and get it scanned. Rade Ivanovic from Australia

Submitted: 10/02/2014 15:43:40 | ID: 61879

Hennie Pretorius, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2009

I have a 2009 Volkswagen Polo Classic with an MP3 player (says so on the radio), but it doesn’t play the MP3 cds. Everytime I insert a cd it says ’error’ and ejects the cd. It does play normal audio cds. Would anyone be able to give advice on this please? (classic)

Submitted: 07/02/2014 14:50:42 | ID: 61827

Jimmy, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2003

My 1.6 Volkswagen Polo classic has its abs, airbag and power steering lights on and is losing power and the battery is flat. What could be causing this please?

Submitted: 04/02/2014 10:48:44 | ID: 61682

Terry Alexander, Devon

Volkswagen Polo 1996

I bought my Volkswagen Polo today. When I got it up to 70 mph it started lurching, hitching, as if it was about to cut out. It did this intermittently, then did it again going around a roundabout. (Not at 70!) It hadn’t been started for 3 days and the tank was way down past red. Any ideas?

With most cars these days you need at least ten pound fuel in them for it to come through properly so that could be the problem as the pump will struggle when fuel is low. Hope this helps Lennyhoy from England

Submitted: 03/02/2014 14:41:58 | ID: 61657

Sehal, Northamptonshire

Volkswagen Polo 2001

I have a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 16v and my brake lights are not working. I have already changed 3 brake light switches but that did not help either. One more thing I noticed, when I start driving my car in the morning the brake lights are working fine for 10-15 minutes but after that they go completely. Why do they just work for a short period of time and then they don`t? I`ve already replaced 3 brake light switches, new bulbs and even the ECU. I changed the ecu because somebody said it could be an ecu problem but that did not work either. Does anyone have any advice/information please? (1.4 16v)

Hi, my friend tried to remove a brakelight switch under the brake pedal, let someone help you to see if brakelights are on or off. Before you remove it inspect it first so that it will be easy for you to replace the new one for yourself. I hope I have answered your problem. Michael Malang from South Africa

Submitted: 03/02/2014 11:04:01 | ID: 56359

Mbeko Soga, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2008

Hi all, I am driving a Volkswagen Polo Playa 2008 1.4. When I am shifting gears and taking off I hear a knocking sound and also when I am doing a full turn I hear a sound coming from my right wheel. What could be causing this please?

When I had a similar sound, it was caused by a spring above the wheel that had cracked/broken. It cost about £70 to replace in the garage. Anne Jones from Carmarthenshire

Submitted: 30/01/2014 12:29:30 | ID: 56849

Eva, Kenya

Volkswagen Polo 2003

My Volkswagen Polo vibrates when on idle to the extent that the steering wheel shakes. Does anyone know why?

Submitted: 30/01/2014 09:55:50 | ID: 61477

Ace Poyoz, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2003

My 2003 Volkswagen Polo Playa is losing oil. It is dripping between the engine and gearbox. What could be causing this please?

Make sure that it is leaking between engine and gearbox, sometimes oil leaks from the top of the engine and falls down. Inspect the top of the engine for leaks, if not then your rear crank seal is shot and the gearbox will have to be removed in order for that seal to be changed. If you’ve had the car from new and haven’t done the clutch yet then you might aswell do it at the same time. Moey Limi from South Africa

Submitted: 24/01/2014 12:42:36 | ID: 90630

David Ritchie, Cumberland

Volkswagen Polo 2010

Can my 2010 Volkswagen Polo`s wing mirrors be converted to heated ones?

Submitted: 24/01/2014 11:15:23 | ID: 57742

Dale Hill, England

Volkswagen Polo 2000

Hello. I have recently bought a 2000 Volkswagen Polo W reg 1.0 and I have been driving it for about 2 weeks. I had no problems until last night when I felt a change in my gearstick, it feels so loose and slack but it seems much easier to change gears. Is this supposed to be like that? Can anyone advise me if something needs to be tightened or replaced and if so what items do I need? Thanks.

Submitted: 23/01/2014 12:14:33 | ID: 61290

David McMullan, Hampshire

Volkswagen Polo 2000

What is the correct colour coding sequence / colours / numbering to solder the window control switch wiring to the window switch control terminals on my Volkswagen Polo please? (1.4)

Submitted: 23/01/2014 11:24:07 | ID: 60256

K, Lothians

Volkswagen Polo 2009

Hi, I have a 59 reg Volkswagen Polo and wondered if anyone can confirm if I should have one or two reversing lights? I had a feeling there is only one, but someone stopped me at the weekend advising me that the second one wasn’t working. I`m hoping that someone can clarify?

Submitted: 21/01/2014 14:03:46 | ID: 61252

Janice Rainey, England

Volkswagen Polo 2009

When I start my Volkswagen Polo`s engine it makes a bleeping noise like when you leave your lights on and service keeps coming up. What does this mean as I`ve never seen it before?

Submitted: 20/01/2014 11:25:15 | ID: 60898

Phineas Driven, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2001

My 2001 Volkswagen Polo millenium refuses to start as if out of petrol after I drove it and parked up nicely. Any ideas of the cause and solution?

Submitted: 17/01/2014 15:02:56 | ID: 60855

Amaro Teixera, Mozambique

Volkswagen Polo 2002

I have a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 2002 that resets while driving. It looks like someone has disconnected the battery while driving as the clock and trip odo reset to zero when this happens, then the airbag warning fault light turns on. Does anyone know why?

Could be your cluster, but I also need some advice Esk Doubell from South Africa

Submitted: 17/01/2014 14:15:25 | ID: 60858

Suhas Ahirekar, India

Volkswagen Polo 2011

When my Volkswagen Polo drives on an uneven road noise comes from the front side on the passenger`s side as if some part is loose. I have had it checked in the workshop and the mechanic is not able to find the problem so can anybody please help me? (trendline)

I have this same problem and finding is quite unsettling to drive. I too have been to a garage and they can’t find it Helen Hodgkinson from England

The sound is from the brake caliper... it’s very common in Polo range... only option is to get original brake caliper... or safeline that comes with the anti rattle clips... Donovan Chetty from South Africa

Submitted: 16/01/2014 11:40:58 | ID: 60778

Sydney, Namibia

Volkswagen Polo 2009

When I drive faster than 100km/h my Volkswagen Polo`s ABS light comes on, the handbrake light flashes continuously and it beeps 3 times. When I switch the car off it clears the error till I drive more than 100km/h again. Any idea as to what is wrong?

Check your brake pad wear and your wheel bearings first. Moey Limi from South Africa

Thanks Moey, will check them tomorrow. Another thing I’ve noticed recently is that the steering wheel light comes on and the steering is very hard, as if there’s no power steering. The fluid levels are OK. When I switched off and started the car again, all is OK again. Another thing, the clock, trip meter and radio all resetted themselves twice today with no apparent reason. The alarm also refused to work for a while. Is the battery busy dying or are there a serious problem with my car? Sydney from Namibia

That’s strange. Make sure the b3 terminals are clean and tightend. Check all the fuses, they mustn’t have corrosion or rust. It sounds more like a broken wire somewhere. I’m not sure if those cars have a control unit aswell like the Golf mk1? Moey Limi from South Africa

Submitted: 14/01/2014 10:52:51 | ID: 60723

Janice Langsdale, France

Volkswagen Polo 2000

The LCD displays on the dashboard of my Volkswagen Polo have just started to fade on and off all the time. As I have a slow drain on the battery (somewhere) I disconnect the negative battery terminal every time I use the car, so it doesn’t drain down. Could this be the cause or an electrical fault? The alarm system has been odd for a few years and I have to lock it manually. Is it linked to this even? Any help will be gratefully received.

Submitted: 13/01/2014 09:57:21 | ID: 90006

Janice Abrahams, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 1997

Hi, I need help. I have a 1.8 1997 Volkswagen Polo Classic and I just recently put in a new pin in the gearbox thinking it will help with my reverse gear, but nothing. I have a problem with my reverse, it goes into gear but when I release it makes a sound and kicks out. What is that? What is the problem? Please help. Thank you.

Submitted: 13/01/2014 09:36:19 | ID: 60637

John Dipuo, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2000

My Volkswagen Polo does not want to start, no spark. I bought a new coil pack but still no spark. What could the problem be please? (1.6)

Had the same problem. The ecu unit located next to the wiper motor needs to be reset. It solved the problem I had. I hope it works for you. Robert Smith from South Africa

Submitted: 13/01/2014 09:09:15 | ID: 60611

Sam Zama, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 1997

When I switch on the engine of my Volkswagen Polo it wants me to keep my foot there, as soon as I release it the engine switches off. Why would it be doing this please?

Either the iming or water switch. Mtha from South Africa

Do a fuel pump pressure test, it should go up to a maximum of 8 bars and a minimum of 6, but that’s doing a test direct from the pump. If that’s fine then do the test with the filter and check what pressure it gives. Compliments. Moey Limi from South Africa

Submitted: 10/01/2014 11:29:49 | ID: 65014

Steve, Botswana

Volkswagen Polo 2008

I bought a Volkswagen 1.4 Polo classic 2008 model. When I switch on in the morning it fails until several attempts and when it does start there is a poo poo sound and the idling is poor and it switches off again. I have to rev it for several minutes before it will be successful. When it runs during the day starting is not a problem. What could this be?

Possibly coolant temp sensor faulty James Smith from England

Submitted: 09/01/2014 09:15:18 | ID: 60410

Thembela Sitemela, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2002

I have a Volkswagen Polo Millenium and I want to fit it with a 2L 16v dohc engine and automatic gearbox. I want it to sound like a dsg. Is that possible?

Submitted: 09/01/2014 09:07:23 | ID: 60409

Shiehaam Moos, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2007

Hi, my Volkswagen Polo’s handbrake light does not go off. I took it to an auto electrician and he said that the diagnostic machine coukd not pick up the description of the error for the handbrake. It only reads descriptions of 2 items. What could the problem be?

Check your brake fluid level and your brake pads aswell. If no problems with these then remove the handbrake cover, not on the lever but on the floor beneath the lever. Check for a tiny switch. You disconect this and it goes off then the switch needs replacing. Moey Limi from South Africa

Submitted: 07/01/2014 16:33:37 | ID: 60421

Brad Miles, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 1998

Hi. A continuous clapping noise comes from the first plug point that is on the engine of my Volkswagen Polo. When I remove that plug lead from the spark plug the noise is gone. Another problem is there is a water leak that comes from the waterpipe that is coming from the engine. Please can anybody assist?

Submitted: 07/01/2014 10:10:23 | ID: 60367

Nelson, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2005

My 2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 is having a problem since I changed the battery, it cuts everything off and the power steering light beeps, even the radio and everything switches off. I tried to clean the terminals but it`s still the same. I need help and a mechanic told me there is a power cable touching the body but I can’t see it. Does anyone know what`s wrong please?

Make sure it’s not touching on the bonnet when you close. If the b3 is too high it will cause it to touch. Moey Limi from South Africa

Submitted: 06/01/2014 12:32:09 | ID: 60309

John, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

I have replaced the clutch and pressure plate two months ago on my Volkswagen Polo and now when I release the clutch there is always a knocking sound. It fades as I select higher gears and the steering wheel makes noise when I turn. I had it checked for alignment but it`s still the same. Does anyone know what`s wrong?

Submitted: 06/01/2014 12:07:29 | ID: 60330

Thembiso Sokoi, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2010

When I decelerate in my Volkswagen Polo and when I approach a stop and I’m turning there is a noise of wobbling. Can anyone help me please?

Submitted: 06/01/2014 10:53:09 | ID: 60294

Jacques, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2005

Whilst driving my Volkswagen Polo all the dash lights come on and the power steering does not work. There is also a pumping sound in my engine and a drop in power, the engine then cuts out after a while. When I switch the engine off and restart it the horn makes a noise and the doors lock and unlock as if the car resets itself. What might be the cause? (1.9 tdi Sportline)

Submitted: 03/01/2014 12:15:08 | ID: 60201

Tash Madz, Zimbabwe

Volkswagen Polo 2002

My 2002 Volkswagen Polo engages anti hijack and will not start after it has travelled and I have to wait for approximately 2 and a half hours before it can start again. How do I reset the anti hijack system?

Take it to an electricians for a checkup or ask them to replace it for you with another anti-hijacking. Probably there’s a fault with yours. Rodney Maxase from South Africa

Submitted: 03/01/2014 10:56:43 | ID: 60194

Edwin Mashifana, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

The brakes of my Volkswagen Polo are stiff. Could someone please assist?

Submitted: 03/01/2014 09:46:08 | ID: 60132

Willem, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2007

I drive a Volkswagen Polo classic 1.4 and the car has started vibrating on the left back wheel. The abs light also came on and it started making a noise. I tried to drive to the closest garage without any luck, the car`s tyre went flat and the abs light stayed on, lots of noise. I did check the tyre when I got out of car the first time and found no sign of anything funny. Any ideas? (1.4)

Jack the car on which ever side the noise is coming from and check if the wheel has play on it, but that’s without loosening the wheel. Moey Limi from South Africa

Submitted: 03/01/2014 09:23:26 | ID: 60158

Carlos Kgatle, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 1997

I have a Volkswagen Polo classic 1997 and there is a funny sound at the petrol tank when I switch on the engine. Is it the petrol pump or not please?

Good day, if you fill up your tank does the sound go away? Riaan Giliomee from South Africa

That is the result of the fuel pump dying. William Monama from South Africa

Submitted: 02/01/2014 14:27:12 | ID: 60114

Stephen Smith, Norfolk

Volkswagen Polo 2000

Hi, I have a really nice Volkswagen Polo 1.4 TDI SE which has done 107,000 miles. All is good except a very frustrating brake light problem. I have checked all bulbs, fuses and replaced the brake light switch with the latest type fitted correctly following VW fitting guide. The brake lights work fine for about 30 to 40 miles or 30 to 40 minutes then fail with the infamous flashing glow plug indicating the problem. If the car is left overnight when started in the morning the problem has corrected itself and the brake lights work fine with no flashing glow plug light. I have also bought myself a VAG code reader and fault 16955 is indicated every time the brake lights fail, which is the code for the brake light switch. I clear the fault code and the lights work okay for another 30 minutes then fail. Can anybody help please? Regards. (TDI SE)

Submitted: 31/12/2013 14:28:55 | ID: 59949

Mfundo Tywaku, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2004

My Volkswagen Polos bonnet does not open because the bonnet cable is broken. Please can anybody help me and tell me how to open it? (Polo Classic 1.6)

<p style="color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">If the cable has snapped inside the car then grab it with mole grips and pull as normal. if no cable is visible it is a tricky case of removing the grille if possible for best access otherwise working through the grill with some sort of lever to try and pull the latch mechanism, sometimes it is visible if you lay under the front of the car and look up towards the centre front of the bonnet from underneath. You will see where the outer cable attaches if you are lucky and try and work your lever where it attaches. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 30/12/2013 14:36:48 | ID: 59763