VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions and answers: Page 4

VOLKSWAGEN Polo

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VOLKSWAGEN POLO models. Help and advice on everything VOLKSWAGEN POLO. Feel free to ask and answer as many VOLKSWAGEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

sello, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi there, my question is that I'm curently driving a VW Polo 1.4 (BLM) and would like to upgrade to a 1.6 or even a GTI engine, so what must I also change as in terms of computer box, or will it just fit correctly without any hassles? Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 11/04/2014 17:27:25 | ID: 94100

oganne, Botswana

Volkswagen Polo

hi. i have 97 polo classic. when i reverse there sound and something gear move from reverse position. can anyone help

Submitted: 09/04/2014 00:30:33 | ID: 93536

Audrey Lawrenc, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2002

When I cold start my Volkswagen Polo it starts and dies as if it has got no petrol. I try and start it about 6 times and then it sort of starts and back fires. Please can someone help? (Classic)

Submitted: 08/04/2014 15:58:10 | ID: 93979

Mpho Maswinga, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

Hi there my Volkswagen Polo 1.4 hatchback runs out of water every two days. Does anyone know why?

Submitted: 08/04/2014 09:00:17 | ID: 93951

Cara Walker, England

Volkswagen Polo 1995

My Volkswagen Polo`s speedo and rev counter have started working only when they feel like it, although the trip counter continues to work when the fault occurs. Can anyone explain why this should happen please?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 09:52:52 | ID: 93908

Andrew Davies, England

Volkswagen Polo 1995

The speedo/tacho on my Volkswagen Polo intermittently do not work 5 out of 10 times on starting the engine. I have tried replacing the speed sensor and checking connections but all to no avail. I hope you can help? (1.6G)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 09:24:04 | ID: 94014

Vusi Mpongoma, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

I have a 2006 Volkswagen Polo 1.4. The ABS light is on and there is a noise when I apply the brakes and it sounds like it’s under the pedal, as if something is loose. I checked the brake switch and brakepads and the switch and all`s well. Please can anybody help? (1.4)

check the fuse in top of ur battery , one of those fuse must be change maybe akyats from South Africa

Submitted: 03/04/2014 09:41:21 | ID: 93821

Kaahif Akram, England

Volkswagen Polo 2012

Hi, I have a Volkswagen Polo 2013 1.2 petrol and it makes a noise in first gear when I drive, it sounds like diesel. Is that normal?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 15:09:26 | ID: 93806

Monica Trollip, Warwickshire

Volkswagen Polo 2003

Hi, I have a Volkswagen Polo Playa 1.6 2003. I have a new battery in the car and it`s had a service. The problem is when I drive and slow down for a corner or a roundabout the car just dies. If I slow down for a stop signal the car at times just dies, because the revs just drop down, but if I just brake, brake, brake - like short brakes to come to a stop it is fine, otherwise he just dies. When it stands for a while the revs start climbing again. The battery has been tested and it shows fine and the car starts everytime fine, the problem`s just when slowing down. Does anyone have any ideas please? Thank you.

Submitted: 01/04/2014 10:37:48 | ID: 93750

Ross Griffiths, England

Volkswagen Polo 2012

When I switch on the ignition of my Volkswagen Polo all of the dash lights come on including the power steering light, then once the computer has done its check all lights go out including the power steering light. Then once I start the car the power steering light comes on but I have no power steering. Has anyone got an answer to this problem please? (1.4)

Submitted: 31/03/2014 15:42:54 | ID: 93569

Montsho Mohapi, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2008

Hello there, I have a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 2008 model and have recently changed the left V-arm and control arm, but now I’m experiencing a slight swerve whenever I’m changing gears. What could it be?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 15:24:18 | ID: 93667

Jabu Mabena, Sutherland

Volkswagen Polo 2011

I have a Volkswagen Polo 2011 model trend line and the brake lights are not working. Advice please?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 11:09:32 | ID: 93625

Sam Paulus, Namibia

Volkswagen Polo 2000

My Volkswagen Polo`s engine cuts off when I have it washed with a high pressure cleaner inside the engine or when I drive in rain or drive in water. What can the problem be?

Submitted: 28/03/2014 15:21:51 | ID: 94002

Sam Paulus, Namibia

Volkswagen Polo 2000

My car’s engine cuts off when I have it washed with a high pressure cleaner inside the engine or when I drive in rain or drive in water. What can be the problem?

Submitted: 26/03/2014 16:08:01 | ID: 93618

Vasile Pusca, Romania

Volkswagen Polo 2001

Hello, I have a 2001 Volkswagen Polo classic 1.6 engine, 75 and urban consumption is 15 litres per hundred km. I changed the spark plugs, air filter, I checked with vagcom without giving any error. The temperature on the board is 90 degrees constantly. Can anybody help me with a solution about this problem? (classic)

Submitted: 25/03/2014 11:07:26 | ID: 57605

Kam, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2008

Hi guys, when I put my Volkswagen Polo into reverse and begin reversing (especially in the morning), there is a grinding noise coming from the back. This also happens, albeit less, when moving from first gear. I saw a mechanic this morning and he reckons that it is normal for the noise to be there because the automatic cars are used to going forward all of the time and he mentioned something about the caliper and pad going in the forward direction and when put in reverse the gap is larger and therefore makes a noise. It makes a slight noise when put in drive when starting from a stopped position, but when I`m driving and put it in neutral and come to a stop then there is no noise. Has anyone had the same ’problem’? Is this in fact normal? Thanks. (1.6 Trendline Automatic)

Hi Kam, what your mechanic is describing is partially true. Whilst it is normal to hear brake rub from your vehicle, both in reverse and whilst going forward, it is not true to say that the pads wear differently front to back. All modern vehicles are designed so the pads wear evenly, as the pressure is applied evenly to the disc by the front center and rear of the pad. Where it may differ slightly it is due to warped or unevenly worn wheel (brake) discs, or where brake servicing is neglected to the point where the pads wear through and actually scar/wear/warp the discs. You tend to hear brake rub, especially if the vehicle is rarely used, the vehicle is in damp/moist conditions or mainly used just for short journeys. In the majority of cases the noise is minimal and only lasts for a short period of time. In conclusion, if you consider the brake rub to be badly grinding and/or overly persistent (noise loud or lasting longer each journey, It would be worth while getting the brake discs and pads checked and the calipers checked for leaks and function. I hope this help you. Tom from Ireland

Submitted: 21/03/2014 11:32:50 | ID: 63145

Steven Martin, Kent

Volkswagen Polo 1995

I was driving my Volkswagen Polo and all of a sudden I lost all gears. When I put it in gear it just makes a grinding noise? Please help?

Hi Steve, Your description is limited but what you describe suggests clutch failure, especially if the failure you describe here happened after long use in high gear and the grinding was as a result of a gear change after high gear usage. At the time of the incident or just before hand, did you experience the smell of burning? Was there a preceding thud, clutch pedal flop (pedal falls to floor) or sudden clutch pedal stiffening (pedal becomes stiff hard to push in)? Take a look at the clutch housing, on the transverse engine (don’t know what model you have) it would be to the right of the engine as you look into the engine bay. Check to see if there is movement, check visible condition etc. Sorry to be quite limited in reply, if you have not sorted the issue please give more information. Tom from Ireland

Submitted: 20/03/2014 14:14:36 | ID: 63087

Muhammad Khan, Lancashire

Volkswagen Polo 2001

My Volkswagen Polo makes a thud sound when I bring it to a complete stop. I have checked the spare tyre and it seems to be tightly fastened. Sometimes when I go over speed bumps it makes a similar sound. It seems to be coming from the front of the car. Any help please?

Submitted: 20/03/2014 10:30:36 | ID: 63002

Tumelo, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2005

Hi, I have a 2005 Volkswagen Polo classic and there is a popping sound/knock. It`s a single pop, mostly when turning either left or right and on uneven roads. What could that be? Thank you.

Submitted: 18/03/2014 09:10:15 | ID: 62969

George Costa, Zimbabwe

Volkswagen Polo 2001

My Volkswagen Polo`s rev counter is not working. What can be the problem with my car please?

Submitted: 18/03/2014 08:53:31 | ID: 62839

Jim Stefancik, Australia

Volkswagen Polo 2010

After 55,000 km on the clock of my Volkswagen Polo the manual gearbox is grinding only when upshifting from first to second gear and intermittently. Is this a serious problem? (77 tsi)

Submitted: 14/03/2014 11:41:09 | ID: 62774

James Bisset, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Volkswagen Polo 2007

Hi, I’m asking this question on behalf of my sister. The radiator fan on her Volkswagen Polo runs immediately on start-up. This means that the engine is running cooler than it should, which can’t be good for the engine as she does mainly short distance journeys. I expect the problem is electrical. Where should I be looking to fix the fault? Thanks. (1.4)

Submitted: 13/03/2014 14:50:12 | ID: 62799

Musa Simelane, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2004

Hi. My Volkswagen Polo’s cigarette lighter compartment is acting funny. I plugged in a modulator a few days ago and it was working fine but somewhere along the song it just cut power off. I unplugged and put it back on, the backlight comes on but the display is blank, so I threw the modulator away. But when I plugged in my Garmin navigator the blue light of the charger cable comes on, although the navigator is not charged, same with the cellphone. I presume there is not enough power from the cigarette lighter, even though the fuse seems okay? What else should I try? (1.9 tdi)

It could be the fuse, just check it with a new one and test it. good luck Sean from South Africa

Submitted: 13/03/2014 10:22:58 | ID: 62716

Miron Basson, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2002

Hi, I have a Volkswagen Polo Classic 1.6 2002 Model car that does not want to start. .I drove it this morning and I could feel there’s a short when it idles, but eventually stop to start. The engine turns but doesn`t want to idle. What components on the engine can I check because it seems like an electrical fault somewhere, either the coil, distributor or a relay? Please, I need some more advice?

Submitted: 10/03/2014 11:52:09 | ID: 62686

Dhinesh, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2003

Hi. I have a 2003 Volkswagen Polo classic 1.4. At times when I start the car the revs just go down, then I have to swing for a little while and then she starts. Any idea what the fault could be? Assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Submitted: 10/03/2014 10:46:57 | ID: 62549

Yatin Jairam, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2004

Hi I have a problem with my Volkswagen Polo 1.6 trendline. My ABS light started showing with my handbrake light today and as I switch on the ignition my speedometer starts to show speeds when the car is still switched off. Also 3 beeps are heard when the ignition is switched on. What could the problem be? Thanks. (trendline)

Submitted: 10/03/2014 09:53:18 | ID: 62632

Mike Ellis, Kent

Volkswagen Polo 2000

Hi, I have become the owner of a fairly old 2000 Volkswagen Polo. The car was working fine when I got it but has not been used for a couple of months due to insurance and me being away. I tried jump starting it as obviously the battery was dead due to it not being used. Anyway I got the car started easy enough but when I put my foot on the accelerator there was no response. The car was running but even putting my foot to the floor the car did not respond. I would be grateful if anyone knows if this is an easy fix (related to the battery being old) or something a lot more serious? Thanks in advance.

The accelerator is "fly by wire" technology. There is an electrical connection between throttle pedal and engine. Make sure all the plugs are in properly around the air intake piping and the plug connectors are not corroded. Make sure you have a good battery. If it ran dead flat the electronics may have lost settings, but that would be unusual. Go for the obvious first, plugs wires etc from pedal to engine. If you can’t find a physical issue you need to do a diagnostic check with a fault code reader or similar plugged into the cars diagnostic socket. My Polo is a 2000 sdi and the diagnostic socket is seen when the ash tray is removed. Hope this helps. Jeff Egan from England

Submitted: 04/03/2014 10:06:21 | ID: 89974

Esk Doubell, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2004

My Volkswagen Polo`s cluster resets itself, with all lights coming on. My dealer fitted temperature sensor and earth cable, body to battery, but the cluster still resets itself. Why would it do this and how many times must I pay for a problem that’s not solved? Can anybody please help on this matter? (1600)

Submitted: 03/03/2014 14:56:47 | ID: 62483

Samantha, England

Volkswagen Polo 2012

I have a Volkswagen Polo 2013 comfortline. I purchased it brand new. After 7 months the seatbelt sensor stopped working. I took it in for a service and the dealership advised that it never had sensors. I am confident that it did. Can anyone help? (1.4 comfortline)

Try placing a heavy bag of shopping or similar on passenger seat. It should trigger a sest belt warning when you move off. If it does then something is wrong with drivers side. Hope thos helps. Jeff Egan from England

Submitted: 03/03/2014 14:35:08 | ID: 62441

Chido, England

Volkswagen Polo 2004

Hi. I`m driving a Volkswagen Polo 2004 with the 4 round lights. My problem started a month ago, after very heavy rains and just after the car was washed. The engine cranked and failed to run, engine showing battery light and I switched off. I let it sit for about an hour, switched it on again and it was fine. A month later after travelling about 500km, I could feel the car struggling to go up a slope and jerking, then after taking a left turn it stopped, I switched off with the battery light showing. I let it sit for about 5 minutes, tried to switch it on again and it was fine until the next day after reversing up a slope. After switching from reverse to drive mode, the battery light came on and the car switched off. I tried it again, it cranked but wouldn`t run the engine, then switched off again. At the tenth attempt it just wouldn’t start as if it was out of fuel. The drive lights wouldn’t come on either, however all other lights were working fine and so was the radio. A specialist checked it out and said the fuel pump had seized so it was replaced and the car was fine until the next morning. it wouldn’t run the engine until the third attempt and now the same problem still persists. If it sits for more than two hours the engine won`t run until second or third attempt, plus I can still feel it`s struggling to go up slopes and jerks a little too much while changing gears, which is something it never used to do. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Submitted: 03/03/2014 12:31:58 | ID: 62484

Lynn Jacobs, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2002

How many litres of fuel is in the reserve tank of the 2002 Polo Playa 1.4i? (Playa)

Submitted: 21/02/2014 15:31:18 | ID: 62281

Diane Frankson, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2009

Hi, I need your help please. This morning my Volkswagen Polo just felt like I was forcing it to go with a bit of a vibration and like it wants to cut off. Do you have any advice? Thanks. (1.6 comfortline)

Submitted: 21/02/2014 15:20:55 | ID: 61684

Joseph Kaira, Zambia

Volkswagen Polo 2002

My Volkswagen Polo fails to engage third gear when I press the accelerator hard and it disengages itself from the gears, as if one has suddenly shifted the automatic gear lever to neutral. If I press the accelerator gently or when the speed is at 30km/h and the rev count at 20/minx100 and then I suddenly push the accelerator a little hard, it does engage third gear. Thereafter I can press the pedal hard and it will engage the remaining gears though not quickly, but if the rev count exceeds 20.5/minx100 it will never engage thrid gear, no matter what you do and later it will disengage. Then when you press the accelerator the engine will sound free and high while the car is not pulling, as if it is in neutral. This is putting my life in danger as one time I almost caused an accident when trying to overtake and I suddenly lost speed due to this problem. Does anyone have a solution?

Submitted: 17/02/2014 10:56:53 | ID: 62169

Betsie De Waal, Namibia

Volkswagen Polo 2010

My Volkswagen Polo 1.4 is a 2010 model and its computer box is broken. Can I still drive the car?

Submitted: 17/02/2014 10:48:57 | ID: 61594

Abdul Aziz, Lancashire

Volkswagen Polo 2003

I have a 52 plate Volkswagen Polo which has a built in 6 disc cd changer. I have tried to use the cd player with a disc made at home via my computer and now when I put in the cd it loads up fine and says play tr 01. Now I don`t know if the cd player is not working or whether I have to press the play button and if that is the case how do I play it?

Submitted: 14/02/2014 11:04:29 | ID: 68207

Abdullah Davids, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2007

My 2007 Volkswagen Polo classic 1.6 just won`t srart. It`s been doing it for a few mornings now but after a few tries it works. Now I have no such luck at all. Does anybody know what it could be? (classic)

Submitted: 13/02/2014 12:02:52 | ID: 62041

Mark Holding, Devon

Volkswagen Polo 2004

Our Volkswagen Polo normally runs fine, but every now and then it revs high, loses power and comes to a standstill. Turning the engine off and then on again solves the problem for a few days. Any ideas? (1.4 petrol)

It’s going into limp mode. Does your ECP light come on? Mine’s doing the same thing. Take to VW and get it scanned. Rade Ivanovic from Australia

Submitted: 10/02/2014 15:43:40 | ID: 61879

Hennie Pretorius, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2009

I have a 2009 Volkswagen Polo Classic with an MP3 player (says so on the radio), but it doesn’t play the MP3 cds. Everytime I insert a cd it says ’error’ and ejects the cd. It does play normal audio cds. Would anyone be able to give advice on this please? (classic)

Submitted: 07/02/2014 14:50:42 | ID: 61827

Jimmy, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2003

My 1.6 Volkswagen Polo classic has its abs, airbag and power steering lights on and is losing power and the battery is flat. What could be causing this please?

Submitted: 04/02/2014 10:48:44 | ID: 61682

Terry Alexander, Devon

Volkswagen Polo 1996

I bought my Volkswagen Polo today. When I got it up to 70 mph it started lurching, hitching, as if it was about to cut out. It did this intermittently, then did it again going around a roundabout. (Not at 70!) It hadn’t been started for 3 days and the tank was way down past red. Any ideas?

With most cars these days you need at least ten pound fuel in them for it to come through properly so that could be the problem as the pump will struggle when fuel is low. Hope this helps Lennyhoy from England

Submitted: 03/02/2014 14:41:58 | ID: 61657