VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions and answers: Page 4

VOLKSWAGEN Polo

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VOLKSWAGEN POLO models. Help and advice on everything VOLKSWAGEN POLO. Feel free to ask and answer as many VOLKSWAGEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Ralf, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi I have a 2003 polo playa comfortline 1600 The airbag sensor is on on the dash. My friend did a diagnostic test and said it was the seat sensor. Where do I find the sensors to test ?... Thx ralf

Submitted: 31/05/2014 17:34:25 | ID: 96606

fortune sam monteiro, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I ve got a problem about lights not coming on at all back and front only 1 park light on front right head lamp what is the cause

Submitted: 27/05/2014 16:03:20 | ID: 96264

Soreta, United States of America

Volkswagen Polo

We had problem with the back right side window, when opening it, it goes great till it gets to the middle, then it made noises and did not go further back down, so we took it to the dealer. but they made it worse. Now it jumps and makes more noises, does not work.

Submitted: 26/05/2014 20:16:49 | ID: 96210

Heinrich 1.8i, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hey im new to this site im Heinrich im 20 years old from south Africa ow I want to buy me a 1997 Vw Polo Classic 1.8i sedan the car clutch is finish so that's why car does not go in car but will it make the car gears like I mean gear 1 and gear 3 and very near so you don't know right in what gear it is

Submitted: 25/05/2014 07:30:45 | ID: 96104

Thabiso, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I was involved on an accident with My 2011 Polo 1.6 Comfortline. then the radiator broke it flushed all the water out then I tried to put water again and start the engine reversed the car a little bit since I was on the way for other cars to pass, so now when I try to start the engine it doesn't want to start it just become ON, so I want to know whether it has damaged the Engine or what?

Submitted: 23/05/2014 10:23:59 | ID: 95986

Emmanuel Khumo, Botswana

Volkswagen Polo

Hi. I have bought a 1.4 VW Polo 2002 model a few months back, it has started giving me some problems. It can change the gears softly nowadays, when i go up an incline the revs will go to between 5000 and 6000 and it will not change the gears. The only time it will change the gears is when i drive on a flat surface and i slightly press the accelerator otherwise on an incline it will only do 10km/h.

Submitted: 23/05/2014 07:57:33 | ID: 95979

Evonne, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I bought a second hand VW Polo 2007 at 117,000km on the clock. 3 Months later while driving on the highway at 120km/h, the oil light came on. I dropped speed and tried to get to a safe area. On checking the cam gear had completely broken off. The car could only be towed. What could be the cause of this. Could this have happened if the car had been serviced 3 months before when it was sold to me. I need to prove a point of negligence on the part of the Dealership. Please assist.

Submitted: 23/05/2014 06:16:44 | ID: 95973

Gareth, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

My temperature gauge light comes on when I start my car in the mornings & evening. If I let it idle for a minute or so, turn off the car and restart it I do not see the temp gauge light. It is only on start up in the morning and evening. no overheating, water always full, fan working fine. Diagnostic test don't pick up anything and I have just replaced the water pump. Still having the same issue. any advise? thanks in advance

I am almost sure the engine temperature sensor near thermostat is faulty. It seems to work fine only at high temperatures. I would check temperature parameter on diagnostic computer only when engine is cold Cobileanscki Semion from Moldova

Submitted: 21/05/2014 11:13:29 | ID: 95836

Morne, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

HI I'm driving a Polo Classic 1.8i 1997, it seems like it is loosing power (its pulling back from time to time), but when I am nailing it, it goes. I have already changed the Fuel filter and Spark Plugs. What else could it be? And i think my fuel consumption is more because of that. Please help me.

Submitted: 20/05/2014 14:29:04 | ID: 95779

Dusan, Slovenia

Volkswagen Polo

Hello, Polo 2000 1,4 6N2-AKK engine stops during the driving and after that was immediatelly able to start. Fault detector has shown that the shafts speed sensors are weak. After that the connectors of it were cleaned and the air flap (air intake to combustion) as well. After that the engine stops only at idle revolution at the crossing stops/lights. Has anybody similar problem ? Thank you. Best regards, Dusan

Submitted: 15/05/2014 08:43:23 | ID: 95537

pat, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

The gears of my car are not soft. What must I do to make them very soft? Also there is a certain sound coming from the left side of the engine and I think I`m using too much petrol because of that sound? The car is 2008 1.4 sedan VW Polo. Please help me.

Submitted: 11/05/2014 14:31:03 | ID: 95382

lando, Germany

where the air intake sensor located in a 1.6 engine

Submitted: 08/05/2014 11:30:59 | ID: 95237

Reagan, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Are the VW Golf 3 1996 model wiper linkage arms the same as the VW Polo classic 1996 model wiper linkage arms?

Submitted: 06/05/2014 13:18:32 | ID: 95154

zubair, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi I have a VW Polo classic 1.4 2003 sedan. I have never experienced this problem before, first time today. I started the car, it seems as if it will start, revs go up and immediately it dies afterwards. I've tried pressing the alarm, immobiliser etc but nothing seems to work. It just starts and then dies. What can I do? Please help.

Hi, when you rev it does it pick up or rev's it by its self? that might be caused by low compression in you engine, that happens when you rings or pistons damaged. best way if it doesn't pick up your rev or doesn't give you a chance to rev, the its loss of compression take it to the service. SIPHIWE from South Africa

Check whether the alternator is working akyats from South Africa

Submitted: 05/05/2014 14:36:28 | ID: 95116

shalane, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I drive a polo 1.4 Manual, I was driving on the highway and when I down geared from 5th to 4th the car started to smoke but a lot of smoke and started to loose power and after a few seconds it was fine but now if I drive 120 it feels like my wheels are loose and shaking where it never did. Did I blow my gasket or could it be my rings, please help me.

Submitted: 01/05/2014 15:04:42 | ID: 94946

Brendan, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi There, I have a 2005 VW Polo 1.9TDi. It is fine and has served me well over the past few years. The coolant light however recently came on and we replaced the temp sensor. This however didn't do anything? Can you advise what the problem could be and how this can be rectified. Could it be that the coolant reservoir has a faulty sensor in it? Your feedback will be greatly appreciated KR Brendan.

Submitted: 30/04/2014 07:24:02 | ID: 94899

Mickey, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I have a Polo 1.8i classis - 1999 model... I've noticed that when I go around a corner in 2nd gear (slowly releasing the clutch) there's a slight shudder ...... this started about 3 weeks ago ..... the clutch goes in smooth and no sticking of gears.... Can this be the plate more than the cable? And how long can one drive like this? Need to wait another week before I can get this sorted, hence my question. also, should the plate decide to "go" while i'm on the highway, what will happen? My clutch cable has snapped (on previous car) so I know what happens (basically hope you're in left lane and pull of the road).... but the plate going is all new for me and I just need to know what signs to look for and how to re-act when same does happen...

Submitted: 25/04/2014 09:06:48 | ID: 94680

Colin, Bristol

Volkswagen Polo

Just bought 2005 1.4L (petrol) VW Polo w/79,000 mi. on clock. After driving 40+ miles, drove through rain & puddles in road. Engine started misfiring, had to down-shift to get enough oomph to get up hills. After 10 miles, stopped. Started up again about 5 hours later (no rain now), check engine light still on, still misfiring, low on power and drove it home (10 miles) with horrible smell (like sick or rotten egg) coming through heating vents. Also just filled tank with petrol yesterday.

Hi, I got the same problem. Could you pls let me know if you find a solution, Thank you Arnold from South Africa

Hi, I have the same problem, when it rains or I wash my car the emission light comes on, after some minutes the light flashes and it has no power? Do you have any solutions? Thank you Marc from Switzerland

Submitted: 20/04/2014 21:38:50 | ID: 94480

jonathan, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi,if just finished overhauling my engine,but it struggling to iddle,where can I check

Check all your vacuum horses and sensor connectors, I bet you left one sensor cable loose in the throttle bodies Ayos from South Africa

Submitted: 20/04/2014 10:20:49 | ID: 94459

johan, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

We drive a 2005 polo,this morning everything was fine we drove,stoped when attempting to start there was nothing,the car doesn't lock,the epc light aswell as the battery light is on?

Submitted: 19/04/2014 08:30:53 | ID: 94432

breyton, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

my radio and clock keeps on resetting

Submitted: 17/04/2014 01:38:52 | ID: 94341

breyton, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

My polo1,6 lt 2006 model the clock and radio reset itself.What is wrong?

Submitted: 17/04/2014 01:35:48 | ID: 94340

peter, Wicklow

2011 polo glow plug light on constant and engine wont go over 80 klms

Submitted: 16/04/2014 17:43:01 | ID: 94328

Lawrence Farrugia, Malta

Volkswagen Polo

The lights-on monitor buzzer switch controlled by the opening and closing of the driver's seat door needs replacing because it's not consistent, perhaps due to some loose contacts. How could I remove this switch to fix it without breaking it, or to have it replaced. Anticipated thanks. Lawrence Farrugia - MALTA

Submitted: 16/04/2014 12:06:44 | ID: 94311

sean, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi good day. I drive a Polo 1.6 Comfortline, 2008 model. I want to find out, When I reach 100km per hour my sppedometer drops, My Rev still work, the hand brake light flash & the Power steering light goes on, what could the possible problem be. I have got my spare wheel on @ the moment I dont know if it has any thing to do with that. Iwould appreciate your help. Sean

Submitted: 16/04/2014 11:50:12 | ID: 94310

Patrick O Faolain, Ireland

Volkswagen Polo

Hi, the driver window in my 2002 VW polo 1.4 estate stopped working recently. The handle seems to be not connecting properly with the mechanism and doesn't turn much one way or the other. The same window stopped working on my last car as well - a 1997 VW polo hatchback so maybe it's a weak point in them. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for fixing it or getting a mechanic to do it. I saw the mechanism on ebay for 15 pounds sterling but I don't relish the job of taking the panel off and doing it myself. Does anyone know how long it would take a mechanic to do it? Thanks, Patrick.

Submitted: 15/04/2014 19:41:44 | ID: 94270

thula zibula, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

When reversing how many lights should be on,is it the one on the left side or supposed to be both? I'm totally confused. Thank you

Submitted: 15/04/2014 08:53:36 | ID: 94231

Lynn, Armagh

Volkswagen Polo

The car starts heating up after 20 minutes,bottle boils up,Fan takes forever to come on,have replaced thermostat a few months ago have not been good at putting coolant,but when i do it seems it all boils out even though temperature gauge is in the middle.

Submitted: 13/04/2014 13:36:43 | ID: 94175

sello, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi there, my question is that I'm curently driving a VW Polo 1.4 (BLM) and would like to upgrade to a 1.6 or even a GTI engine, so what must I also change as in terms of computer box, or will it just fit correctly without any hassles? Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 11/04/2014 17:27:25 | ID: 94100

oganne, Botswana

Volkswagen Polo

hi. i have 97 polo classic. when i reverse there sound and something gear move from reverse position. can anyone help

Submitted: 09/04/2014 00:30:33 | ID: 93536

Audrey Lawrenc, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2002

When I cold start my Volkswagen Polo it starts and dies as if it has got no petrol. I try and start it about 6 times and then it sort of starts and back fires. Please can someone help? (Classic)

Submitted: 08/04/2014 15:58:10 | ID: 93979

Mpho Maswinga, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

Hi there my Volkswagen Polo 1.4 hatchback runs out of water every two days. Does anyone know why?

Submitted: 08/04/2014 09:00:17 | ID: 93951

Cara Walker, England

Volkswagen Polo 1995

My Volkswagen Polo`s speedo and rev counter have started working only when they feel like it, although the trip counter continues to work when the fault occurs. Can anyone explain why this should happen please?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 09:52:52 | ID: 93908

Andrew Davies, England

Volkswagen Polo 1995

The speedo/tacho on my Volkswagen Polo intermittently do not work 5 out of 10 times on starting the engine. I have tried replacing the speed sensor and checking connections but all to no avail. I hope you can help? (1.6G)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 09:24:04 | ID: 94014

Vusi Mpongoma, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

I have a 2006 Volkswagen Polo 1.4. The ABS light is on and there is a noise when I apply the brakes and it sounds like it’s under the pedal, as if something is loose. I checked the brake switch and brakepads and the switch and all`s well. Please can anybody help? (1.4)

check the fuse in top of ur battery , one of those fuse must be change maybe akyats from South Africa

Submitted: 03/04/2014 09:41:21 | ID: 93821

Kaahif Akram, England

Volkswagen Polo 2012

Hi, I have a Volkswagen Polo 2013 1.2 petrol and it makes a noise in first gear when I drive, it sounds like diesel. Is that normal?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 15:09:26 | ID: 93806

Monica Trollip, Warwickshire

Volkswagen Polo 2003

Hi, I have a Volkswagen Polo Playa 1.6 2003. I have a new battery in the car and it`s had a service. The problem is when I drive and slow down for a corner or a roundabout the car just dies. If I slow down for a stop signal the car at times just dies, because the revs just drop down, but if I just brake, brake, brake - like short brakes to come to a stop it is fine, otherwise he just dies. When it stands for a while the revs start climbing again. The battery has been tested and it shows fine and the car starts everytime fine, the problem`s just when slowing down. Does anyone have any ideas please? Thank you.

Submitted: 01/04/2014 10:37:48 | ID: 93750

Ross Griffiths, England

Volkswagen Polo 2012

When I switch on the ignition of my Volkswagen Polo all of the dash lights come on including the power steering light, then once the computer has done its check all lights go out including the power steering light. Then once I start the car the power steering light comes on but I have no power steering. Has anyone got an answer to this problem please? (1.4)

Submitted: 31/03/2014 15:42:54 | ID: 93569

Montsho Mohapi, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2008

Hello there, I have a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 2008 model and have recently changed the left V-arm and control arm, but now I’m experiencing a slight swerve whenever I’m changing gears. What could it be?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 15:24:18 | ID: 93667

Jabu Mabena, Sutherland

Volkswagen Polo 2011

I have a Volkswagen Polo 2011 model trend line and the brake lights are not working. Advice please?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 11:09:32 | ID: 93625