VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions and answers: Page 4

VOLKSWAGEN Polo

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VOLKSWAGEN POLO models. Help and advice on everything VOLKSWAGEN POLO. Feel free to ask and answer as many VOLKSWAGEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Richard Chambers, Worcestershire

Volkswagen Polo 1997

My Volkswagen Polo does not turn over. I changed the starter motor and the battery is good. The lights dim when I try turning it over and the little led on the dash is not lighting up like it used to. Any ideas please? (1.6 gl)

Submitted: 25/11/2013 12:17:34 | ID: 58561

Nosipho Mahlasela, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2009

Hi guys, my 1.4 Volkswagen Polo`s power steering is very stiff. I have checked transmission oil and it`s fine. Can anyone please advise on a possible cause and solution? (1.4 Comfortline)

Submitted: 25/11/2013 10:44:25 | ID: 56705

Barry Clay, Leicestershire

Volkswagen Polo 2009

My Volkswagen Polo`s petrol fuel pump is not working. What should I do?

Submitted: 22/11/2013 15:49:48 | ID: 58180

Paul Denholm, Scotland

Volkswagen Polo 2002

Could you tell me what the foam piece in the bottom of the seat belt on the panel of my Volkswagen Polo is used for? Thanks.

Submitted: 22/11/2013 15:36:11 | ID: 56129

Thomas Antwi, England

Volkswagen Polo 2000

Please where can I find the air filter on my 2000 Volkswagen Polo sdi hatchback? It`s a diesel car 1.9. Thank you.

Submitted: 22/11/2013 09:17:06 | ID: 57677

Palesa Kpkame, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 1999

My Volkswagen Polo 1.8i has lost power and consumes a lot of petrol. Also there is a clicking sound from the engine when idlling or on a slow speed. What could cause these problems please?

Submitted: 21/11/2013 16:01:17 | ID: 58239

Ian Shoreman, England

Volkswagen Polo 1999

Hi there. I`m looking for some info on what seal/gasket to use on my Volkswagen Polo`s water housing unit. The part which attaches to it with just two nuts has come away because the seal has bust. I used hylomide last time but it`s lasted less than a year, it`s NON setting. Which is best for the job? (1.6 cl Automatic)

Submitted: 21/11/2013 15:35:33 | ID: 58218

Nazlie Wilsnach, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2005

Hi. After having the same battery in my Volkswagen Polo for 8 years I finally replaced it in September after the car wouldn’t start, as it hadn’t been driven since July and I assumed that the battery finally needed replacing. Then two weeks ago the new battery also went completely flat and my husband had to jump-start the car and he then took it for a long drive to charge the battery. Two days ago I started the car and idled it for 5 minutes and everything was fine until this morning when the battery is dead once again. Could it be a faulty battery or is it because the car is not used often that the battery is going flat? (PS: I checked and the boot light and interior lights are all off so it cannot be the lights that are draining the battery?). Warm regards.

Submitted: 21/11/2013 14:20:35 | ID: 58223

Mpho Maseko, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

What is the difference between "oil" and "inspection" when I start my Volkswagen Polo? (1.9 TDi)

Submitted: 21/11/2013 12:34:23 | ID: 58205

Jamie Lee Ocks, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2008

I have an 08 Volkswagen Polo Classic. Before the 90,000kms service it started backfiring and was hesitant when I would accelerate. When the garage carried out the service they said it was because my vehicle had "too much oil in it". Today on 99,106kms it backfired worse than before, was hesitant to pick up speed and jerked. What could the problem be? I`m not eager to deal with the garage who did the service because the excuse of too much oil seems to be a load of bull? (Classic)

Submitted: 19/11/2013 16:51:22 | ID: 58140

Nana, England

Volkswagen Polo 2011

Hi, I stalled my Volkswagen Polo during traffic and I tried restarting my engine again but it wouldn’t work. It took me four attempts before it spluttered back to life. It stalled again at a roundabout but I had no problems restarting the car, however it felt heavy to drive and it feels like I needed more petrol to get the car moving. After a short rest, the car is back to normal again. Does anyone have any idea what causes this? Thank you.

Submitted: 19/11/2013 16:46:29 | ID: 58166

Rhyno Pretorius, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

Hi. Every time I start my Volkswagen Polo`s engine when it is cold it starts no problem, but when it is idling the revs go up and down (900 rpm to 1000rpm), up and down, up and down. This lasts for about five minutes until the engine is heated up a bit. Can anybody help? (1.9 tdi five door)`

Submitted: 19/11/2013 12:32:44 | ID: 58100

Paul, Australia

Volkswagen Polo 2011

One of my Volkswagen Polo`s driving lights comes on when my lights are on and I select drive but the driving lights are switched off. Can anyone explain why this is happening? Thank you.

Submitted: 18/11/2013 15:55:17 | ID: 58050

Darrol Blanche, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 1997

My Volkswagen Polo swings but doesn’t start spark on spark plugs. I drove the car the one day and the next day it didn’t want to start. Could it be the distributor or computer box?

Submitted: 18/11/2013 14:25:37 | ID: 58020

Kenneth Sokhela, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2002

I switched my Volkswagen Polo on early one morning and it was over revving so I switched it off and on, then it was not maintaining it`s usual revs but kept switching itself off. Now it`s no longer maintaining it`s usual revs. It`s now always on 500 rpm then goes to 800 rpm on idle, whereas initially it used to be 1500 rpm for about 5 seconds then 1000 rpm. (I have cleaned the sensors and also sprayed carb spray on the idle control valve but still the same problem). The car still has the same power and runs well, except for this idle problem and it was recently serviced (professionally). Please can anybody help? (Playa Millemium Hatch)

Submitted: 15/11/2013 15:45:31 | ID: 57948

Sthembiso Mazibuko, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2010

I am driving a 2010 Volkswagen Polo trendline 1.4. The problem with it is that when I try to start it after work it hard starts, but the battery is new and I’ve just recently replaced the ignition housing. However when I start it in the morning it starts without giving any problems. What is the problem? Please assist.

Submitted: 15/11/2013 14:49:21 | ID: 57957

Gugu Kubheka, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2005

My Volkswagen Polo`s interior light is not working. What can I check? (1.9 tdi sportliner)

Submitted: 14/11/2013 11:19:48 | ID: 89697

Jerobeam Olckers, Cheshire

Volkswagen Polo

My Volkswagen Polo classic cuts itself off. Can it be the immobiliser?

Submitted: 12/11/2013 12:33:56 | ID: 57612

Carey Jeffrey, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

Hi, when I travel long distance my Volkswagen Polo`s water light comes on, but when I stop at a garage to put in water most of the time it doesn’t need water. What can the problem be? (1.9 TDI)

We had a 1.4 Polo tdi sedan and it’s not the water but the coolant. Check the coolant. But what happend with ours is the heater pipes were leaking and it’s a common problem with a TDI so we had it temporarily fixed but lost the function of the heater Reza Rahim from South Africa

Submitted: 12/11/2013 11:57:15 | ID: 57749

Jaimee, New Zealand

Volkswagen Polo 1995

The clutch in my Volkswagen Polo started slipping so I replaced the clutch but it seems like the clutch is still slipping. Does the fly wheel have a rubber harmonic balance ring?

Submitted: 11/11/2013 15:42:21 | ID: 57644

Neil Jacob, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 1997

Hi guys. I have a 1997 Volkswagen Polo classic 1.8i. The car starts fine and idles fine but as soon as it gets hot, driving on a highway for example, if I drop speed below 2000rpm it starts to jerk amd when arriving at a roundabout it idles high like on 1500rpm or 2000rpm. I have no idea what’s going on. Can anyone help me out? (1.8i)

Submitted: 11/11/2013 10:46:50 | ID: 57601

Jef Mohlala, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2009

When I start my Volkswagen Polo it won`t start but the lights and radio switch on and the battery is okay. Why is this?

Try replacing your starter Jef Unkown from South Africa

Submitted: 11/11/2013 10:31:46 | ID: 57607

Rinesh Gurney, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2005

My Volkswagen Polo 1.9 tdi sportline has a clutch pedal which is stuck down. If you pull it, it springs back up with no clutch action. After researching I found out it could be the slave unit that popped, so I bought a new slave unit but cannot seem to find where it fits onto the top of the gearbox? Can anyone explain please?

Submitted: 11/11/2013 10:20:22 | ID: 57589

Shamier Jackson, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2005

Hi there. I have a Volkswagen Polo classic comfortline. I get a severe misfiring on my engine which comes and goes. I took it to the mechanics and to a VW garage itself and they keep telling me it`s a sensor or injector. I`ve basically replaced the whole motor but the car is still doing this. Can anybody help me?

Submitted: 08/11/2013 12:46:56 | ID: 57572

Edgar Mashoamme, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2000

Hi, my Volkswagen Polo`s rev count goes up when I step on my clutch to change gears. Can anyone please help me?

Submitted: 07/11/2013 15:24:32 | ID: 52851

Chrisi Munien, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2013

Hi. I recently purchased a Volkswagen Polo gti 2013 model. When driving and then parking and I switch the car off, after taking the key out it makes a hissing noise at the front by the engine. Is this normal on the Polo? It does it for a few seconds then stops, is this the fan cooling off or the engine?

If you open your driver door or any other door it makes a hissing sound after you have unlocked it and the car has stood for a while. This is normal for the new Polos as it’s your computer and fuel pump that gets activated to take strain off the starter. Here’s a tip, when ever you turn your ignition on always wait till all lights are off, especially the fuel light and then you may start. Do this especially on a cold start and after the car has been standing for hours, days or weeks Reza Rahim from South Africa

Submitted: 07/11/2013 14:40:37 | ID: 57521

Linda Howarth, Cheshire

Volkswagen Polo 2002

I recently bought a 2002 Volkswagen Polo and this morning when I turned the engine on the car made a pinging noise. There are no warning lights staying on. Any advice?

Submitted: 07/11/2013 12:42:37 | ID: 57502

Werner Boshoff, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2005

My Volkswagen Polo`s dashboard consist of two parts, the main dash and a small thin plastic strip that’s between the dash and the windscreen. This plastic is cracked in several places and it really looks bad. I’ve asked Volkswagen dealers as well as the suppliers who respond that I must buy a complete new dashboard worth R10,000. I mean come on, how can one replace a piece of plastic with a whole new dashboard that still looks like new? It just doesn’t make sense. Can anyone help me with some info or suggestions? (1.6 Comfortline Sedan)

Submitted: 07/11/2013 11:03:12 | ID: 57475

William MacLennan, Aberdeenshire

Volkswagen Polo 2003

My backseat on the driver`s side of my Volkswagen Polo is wet after it rains. Where could the water be coming in from? (1.2 4 door)

Submitted: 05/11/2013 14:48:20 | ID: 57417

Tracy Skinner, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2011

Hi, I lost my Volkswagen Polo`s immobiliser remote. How do I replace it? (classic 1.4 i.)

Submitted: 04/11/2013 15:58:17 | ID: 57282

Lionel Nageshar, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2004

Hi, I have a 2004 Volkswagen Polo tdi 1. 4. I am having trouble selecting third and fourth gear at times, when I force it goes without grinding. My gear stick shakes at times as well. I do have clutch just when I brake speed from fifth into fourth it jams, also from fourth into third. Please could anybody help with this problem? Thanks.

Submitted: 04/11/2013 12:42:41 | ID: 57315

Sandile Mchunu, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

While driving my Volkswagen Polo classic I hear a chucking sound from the rear right wheel. What could it be? What damage is there if my car has run out of shocks?

Submitted: 04/11/2013 10:43:56 | ID: 57306

Luigi Daniels, England

Volkswagen Polo 1996

I have a 96 model Volkswagen Polo classic and when it rains or it`s very windy my radiator fan just seems to come on and causes the battery to drain. Why is this?

Submitted: 04/11/2013 10:37:25 | ID: 57195

Caine, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2005

My Volkswagen Polo`s ABS warning light is showing on my dashboard. The radio switches off intermittently whilst driving, the handbrake activates intermittently whilst driving and the central locking activates / deactivates intermittently. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Have your battery tested. I had the same problem, after changing the battery I had no problems Emile from South Africa

Submitted: 04/11/2013 10:15:57 | ID: 57192

Tina Pretorius, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2003

Our 2003 Volkswagen Polo 3 cylinder 1.4 tdi does not have any power, the top speed we can get is at the most 60km p/h and when it reaches this speed it immediately loses power again and it won’t go past 20 k/h. We replaced the injectors and the diesel pump, we also replaced the diesel filter, and it is still doing the same. Could it be that there is compression escaping and where can we start looking for the problem? (1.4 tdi)

Submitted: 01/11/2013 15:41:12 | ID: 57165

Ghaffar Qureshi, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2005

Hi friends. I`ve got a Volkswagen Polo classic 2005 model and it`s gauge (needle) for RPM has fallen off. Is there a way to remove the glass from it`s speedometer to put the needle (gauge) back? Regards.

Submitted: 01/11/2013 11:27:21 | ID: 57132

Mpho Maboea, England

Volkswagen Polo 2006

What must I do if the power steering of my Volkswagen Polo classic does not work? It also shows the steering light on the dashboard.

Submitted: 01/11/2013 08:59:58 | ID: 57104

Seeta Mongoai, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

My Volkswagen Polo`s abs light stays on and the handbrake light keeps on flashing. If l turn the motor off and on afterwards they both go off and after some times they all come back on. Why is this? (Trendline)

Submitted: 31/10/2013 15:40:14 | ID: 56977

Sphe Langa, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 1998

I have a Volkswagen Polo playa 98 and I have a problem with my heater not working. I`ve changed my thermostat and checked all electrical faults from blocked water pipes to climate controls but it still won`t work. It just blows cold air. Please can anybody help?

Submitted: 31/10/2013 15:05:40 | ID: 54321

Joseph Maila, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2004

I am driving a Volkswagen Polo classic 1.6 and when I use key immobiliser to unlock the vehicle`s door it does not unlock or lock. What might the problem be please?

Submitted: 29/10/2013 15:34:37 | ID: 56979