VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions and answers

VOLKSWAGEN Polo

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VOLKSWAGEN POLO models. Help and advice on everything VOLKSWAGEN POLO. Feel free to ask and answer as many VOLKSWAGEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

adam, Gwent

Volkswagen Polo

I have a 1998 1.4 cl vw polo, and I'm just wondering if anybody knows why it's whirring really loudly right through out the car when I accelerate at 20mph and above? Ive not long had front and rear bearings done, so if anyone could help, it is much appreciated.

Submitted: 17/09/2014 00:26:36 | ID: 103186

Kamran, West Midlands

Volkswagen Polo

I have a 1.2 vw polo petrol which keeps misfiring the computer says it is cylinder 1 so i replaced the coil in hopes of it being fixed but engine management light is still on and it keeps misfiring? Plus I can not find the coding for the ABS pump anywhere online can anyone help with this too?

Submitted: 16/09/2014 23:42:01 | ID: 103183

diane, Lancashire

Volkswagen Polo

There is a loud rattle noise underneath the frount of my car and carnt find what it is not even the garage knows can anybody help.

Submitted: 16/09/2014 18:04:41 | ID: 103168

Shylo, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

The day after i got the breaks done, the EPC light on my 2006 Polo 2.0 Litre came on (about 3 weeks back). I swung the steering to the left and it went off. it never came back on. but now i can feel a decrease in power when i accelerate and there is a shake in the engine about every 3 seconds, even when just idling. What could be the problem??

Submitted: 16/09/2014 15:27:57 | ID: 103162

crispen majora, Zimbabwe

Volkswagen Polo

Hi, I just recently bought a non-runner VW Polo 1.4l 16v 2000 and the problem is I cannot find the engine torque settings, mainly the mains, big ends and cylinder head bolt. Please can you help?

Submitted: 15/09/2014 14:19:57 | ID: 103126

Gary, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Have problem starting sometimes it over floods with petrol what could be the cause

Submitted: 13/09/2014 07:40:01 | ID: 103029

Swelihle Nkabinde, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

My engine is leaking but I checked it and find that it is leaking. coolant. on the. valve. situated. near. combustion. chamber ,actually there are. 4 valves. aligned. with each. chamber , but. one. is leaking. Please. help. how. to. replace.it9

Submitted: 12/09/2014 16:13:45 | ID: 103015

Alison, West Yorkshire

Volkswagen Polo

I've recently purchased a 2011 VW Polo 1.2 (manual) TDI. I'm experiencing an intermittent problem and have been back to the dealership twice this week. When I'm applying the brake the car appears to surge forward and the revs stay up around 2. This will only go back down under idle speed when I release the brake pedal. My local garage thought it was an issue with the brake switch? But when it was scanned there wasn't a warning. I've had a couple of mechanics come out in the car with me and it hasn't happened but I know that there is a problem, I'm not going crazy. Has anyone got a suggestion as to what this could be?

Submitted: 12/09/2014 13:56:02 | ID: 103012

retha, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I have recently changed my Polo Playa 1999 model engine, now when I try to start it, it doesn't want to start but it does turn. Also it makes a popping sound on the exhaust when I try to start it. Please can anyone help me solve this problem?

Could be your exhaust valves are not seated right. your cam belt is not set that could be one reason it wont take idle also check your distributor and see the firing order us correct sabeer from South Africa

Submitted: 11/09/2014 11:02:10 | ID: 102967

p.h, Hertfordshire

Volkswagen Polo

My car started loosing water about 3 years ago. I had to to up the water every year, then gradually the time became shorter now is every week (every 100 miles drive). It does not leak and the premature doesn't go up. Is this problem a major engine problem? Thanks Best Regards P.H

Submitted: 10/09/2014 11:09:05 | ID: 102921

Sandra crown, Herefordshire

Volkswagen Polo

Hi. Just purchased vw polo 57 plate. When I start driving the doors automatically lock-is this normal! I notice the passenger door is the only one that does not do this-faulty? Thanks

Submitted: 09/09/2014 09:16:32 | ID: 102839

shadre, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Polo 2002 model keeps raving with new petrol pump And it also switches off even when driving It drives well with the old pump but has no power Please help

Submitted: 08/09/2014 17:54:16 | ID: 102807

justin, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

My steering wheel is getting hard to turn. Is it my power steering or my complete steering system that is broken? Should I replace it or get it fixed and how do I get it fixed?

Submitted: 08/09/2014 09:37:37 | ID: 102785

Glen, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I have had my engine replaced when I started the engine the oil light goes off when the car is revved to 2000 rpm the oil light come on if you let the engine idle again the light goes off after a short time I have changed the sump sender unit still the same I am going to change the sender at oil filter is there some thing else can the cause be the oil pump or the turbo . I also have a issue with the water light showing low water even if the bottle is full the temp gauge works the car does not over heat

Submitted: 06/09/2014 18:52:23 | ID: 102714

angusjulie@vodamail.co.za, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

My 1600 polo 2004 models fan came loose . What must I do to fix it?

Submitted: 06/09/2014 16:39:45 | ID: 102707

BERNIE, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi. I`m driving a Polo classic 1.6 1998 model and it runs very well, but when I turn it reduces the speed, like there is something that`s blocked somewhere?

Submitted: 02/09/2014 10:14:12 | ID: 102496

Ellie, Hampshire

Volkswagen Polo

I have a 2013 Polo 1.4 automatic. It's less than 1 year old. The audio system and battery have been playing up. The other morning I went to get into my car and the battery was completely flat. I hadn't left anything on and I know it was fully charged when I left the car. Further, when I tried to put the radio on when driving the system kept shutting off but flashing up "phone" on my audio screen. I suspect it is the audio system that is tripping and not switching off property hence the battery drainage. Anyone else had this problem with their Polo? And if so, how did you fix it?

Submitted: 02/09/2014 10:00:14 | ID: 102495

Amogelang, South Africa

My car vibrates when speed reach 100kmh so what the problem

It`s your suspension. have it checked out danny from Zimbabwe

Submitted: 01/09/2014 16:42:46 | ID: 102467

Boom, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I recently bought a POLO TSI 1.2 HIGHLINE and after driving for 2 days with 520k on the clock, moving off from parking at garage it started smelling and later produced smoke from the bonnet so I towed it back to the dealer and 3 days later they tell me that the clutch has burnt and it must have been how I drove the car. Can this happen at this stage? The car is new and this was the first time I had this smell and I am very careful about how I drive. Has anyone heard of a case like this before? What can I do?

Submitted: 01/09/2014 09:26:05 | ID: 102441

james, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

polo classic millenium dash,car starts and idle and even revs up,but wanna drive theres no power

Submitted: 28/08/2014 11:00:14 | ID: 102269

enrico, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I have a polo classic 1.6 model 2002 and its very havy on feul what can I do to make it liter on fuel pleas help me

Submitted: 27/08/2014 17:46:27 | ID: 102240

Michelle Davis, Gwent

Volkswagen Polo

I have a polo 1.9 SDI, I had the timing belt and water pump changed in February of this year. Since having this replaced, every morning as soon as I start it up the temperature light comes on, as soon as I drive up the road and turn the engine off and back on again the temperature light goes off and doesn't come on again for the rest of the day. It happens once a day when I turn the engine on. Please help.

Submitted: 27/08/2014 13:00:45 | ID: 102213

lesego mosito, Argyll and Bute

Volkswagen Polo

What makes the car to go slow when it comes to hillway and when is on the level it runs fast.

Submitted: 27/08/2014 12:52:49 | ID: 102212

Hamilton, West Lothian

Volkswagen Polo

How do I change instrument panel from: number of miles left on fuel in tank, to outdoor temperature

Submitted: 22/08/2014 22:21:53 | ID: 101955

Arthur, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I have a Polo 1.6 TDI 2014. Do you start and go or warm it up when it`s stayed overnight? If you have to warm it up, how many minutes does it have to idle? If you took a long trip, when you reach your destination do you have to let it idle before you can switch it off?

Submitted: 21/08/2014 17:33:09 | ID: 101884

FAICEL, Greater London

Volkswagen Polo

Where do you disconnect your speedometer?

Submitted: 21/08/2014 12:01:40 | ID: 101862

c Starrett, Oxfordshire

Volkswagen Polo

I have a VW Polo 1.2. I had a full service and since that it is losing oil but there is none on the driveway and no smoke. I need to put in half a litre every 30 miles. Where is the oil going?

Submitted: 20/08/2014 16:56:48 | ID: 101825

Sonia, Nottinghamshire

Volkswagen Polo

I recently went to drive my Polo 1.2 2002 hatchback and noticed when I used The parking brake the floor plate that the handbrake sits on lifts up, so my parking brake is in an upright position past the 3 clicks. Is it missing a bolt/ screw or welding come away as I can't see any missing bits? Can anyone help?

Submitted: 19/08/2014 02:04:34 | ID: 101742

frank, North Somerset

Volkswagen Polo

My Polo 2 1.4 is stalling when I take off and misfires when idling, sometimes backfires when revving ..slow response ..What can the problem be?

Submitted: 18/08/2014 23:10:13 | ID: 101738

Philani Ngwenya, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi Guys Can you please help, i am driving a VW Polo Playa 2001 model 1.4, recently it burned the voltage regulator and i have changed it, looked like it burned it again and i am not sure what might be the issue anymore...any advise ? Best Regards Philani

Submitted: 18/08/2014 12:55:40 | ID: 101700

Tertius Grobbelaar, Berkshire

Volkswagen Polo

good day ! my polo 2004 model 16 ,if i take the keys out off the exnition the speedo and clock stayn on the whole time and all of a suden the alarm light in the door does not go on ,please help

Submitted: 18/08/2014 07:47:41 | ID: 101677

Roelof, South Africa

Submitted: 17/08/2014 10:58:00 | ID: 101629

jonathan, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi I have a Polo classic 1.6 1998 model but the van doesn't kick in when im driving and the speed meter and petrol meter doesn't work.Can you assist me regarding this matter PLEASE?

Submitted: 16/08/2014 12:58:00 | ID: 101586

jonathan, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi I have a polo classic 1998 model 1.6 but the van doesnt kick in when im driving and the milleage and petrol meter doesnt work can yu help me please

Submitted: 16/08/2014 12:55:28 | ID: 101585

Lebo, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Good Day Could you please assist with a recurring problem on my polo playa 1.4 s. The clutch cable comes off every once in a while. The cable comes off at the pedal and i have in the last six months changed it 3 times. the car drives for a few weeks and it snaps off again. Is this a common problem and is there a permanent solution?

Submitted: 16/08/2014 08:05:26 | ID: 101568

Mr. Adam Holmes, West Yorkshire

Volkswagen Polo

Hi all, When I push the brake pedal, the rear fog light symbol appear on the dash board. As well as this when I indicater right the rear fog light symbol also flash? Anyone know how to solve this issue?

Submitted: 15/08/2014 17:25:00 | ID: 101555

meyrick flanegan, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi there. I have a 2010 polo vivo hatchback. Yesterday I left my lights on and it drained the battery. Now for some reason the airbag light wont go off and also the head lights no longer beep when they are on and the car engine is off and the door is open. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Submitted: 14/08/2014 20:43:27 | ID: 101502

Joshua, Greater London

Volkswagen Polo

I have a VW Polo 2007 1.4 tdi and I am looking to change the radio to Pioneer FH-X700BT Double Din Car CD Player. Is the new radio compatible with my car and what problems will I encounter?

I have a 2002 polo and I installed the same radio, you have to swap the red and yellow wire round when installing the radio, otherwise the radio will be constant live, will kill your battery and confuse your car. Hope this helped. Harry Youle from South Yorkshire Harry Youle from South Yorkshire

Submitted: 12/08/2014 11:48:30 | ID: 101369

Lebo, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

We have changed the engine and now the car does not want to start. Does anyone know why?

Submitted: 11/08/2014 13:33:13 | ID: 101323

Errol, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi I have a Polo 1.6 2007 model yesterday I washed the engine and now the engine shakes. What could be the problem?

Clean the spark plugs, water has gone into it Tarini from India

Clean the spark plugs, water has gone into itTarini from India

Submitted: 11/08/2014 12:02:32 | ID: 101314