VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions and answers

VOLKSWAGEN Polo

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VOLKSWAGEN POLO models. Help and advice on everything VOLKSWAGEN POLO. Feel free to ask and answer as many VOLKSWAGEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Colin, Bristol

Volkswagen Polo

Just bought 2005 1.4L (petrol) VW Polo w/79,000 mi. on clock. After driving 40+ miles, drove through rain & puddles in road. Engine started misfiring, had to down-shift to get enough oomph to get up hills. After 10 miles, stopped. Started up again about 5 hours later (no rain now), check engine light still on, still misfiring, low on power and drove it home (10 miles) with horrible smell (like sick or rotten egg) coming through heating vents. Also just filled tank with petrol yesterday.

Submitted: 20/04/2014 21:38:50 | ID: 94480

johan, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

We drive a 2005 polo,this morning everything was fine we drove,stoped when attempting to start there was nothing,the car doesn't lock,the epc light aswell as the battery light is on?

Submitted: 19/04/2014 08:30:53 | ID: 94432

breyton, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

my radio and clock keeps on resetting

Submitted: 17/04/2014 01:38:52 | ID: 94341

breyton, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

My polo1,6 lt 2006 model the clock and radio reset itself.What is wrong?

Submitted: 17/04/2014 01:35:48 | ID: 94340

peter, Wicklow

2011 polo glow plug light on constant and engine wont go over 80 klms

Submitted: 16/04/2014 17:43:01 | ID: 94328

Lawrence Farrugia, Malta

Volkswagen Polo

The lights-on monitor buzzer switch controlled by the opening and closing of the driver's seat door needs replacing because it's not consistent, perhaps due to some loose contacts. How could I remove this switch to fix it without breaking it, or to have it replaced. Anticipated thanks. Lawrence Farrugia - MALTA

Submitted: 16/04/2014 12:06:44 | ID: 94311

sean, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi good day. I drive a Polo 1.6 Comfortline, 2008 model. I want to find out, When I reach 100km per hour my sppedometer drops, My Rev still work, the hand brake light flash & the Power steering light goes on, what could the possible problem be. I have got my spare wheel on @ the moment I dont know if it has any thing to do with that. Iwould appreciate your help. Sean

Submitted: 16/04/2014 11:50:12 | ID: 94310

Patrick O Faolain, Ireland

Volkswagen Polo

Hi, the driver window in my 2002 VW polo 1.4 estate stopped working recently. The handle seems to be not connecting properly with the mechanism and doesn't turn much one way or the other. The same window stopped working on my last car as well - a 1997 VW polo hatchback so maybe it's a weak point in them. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for fixing it or getting a mechanic to do it. I saw the mechanism on ebay for 15 pounds sterling but I don't relish the job of taking the panel off and doing it myself. Does anyone know how long it would take a mechanic to do it? Thanks, Patrick.

Submitted: 15/04/2014 19:41:44 | ID: 94270

thula zibula, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

When reversing how many lights should be on,is it the one on the left side or supposed to be both? I'm totally confused. Thank you

Submitted: 15/04/2014 08:53:36 | ID: 94231

Lynn, Armagh

Volkswagen Polo

The car starts heating up after 20 minutes,bottle boils up,Fan takes forever to come on,have replaced thermostat a few months ago have not been good at putting coolant,but when i do it seems it all boils out even though temperature gauge is in the middle.

Submitted: 13/04/2014 13:36:43 | ID: 94175

sello, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi there, my question is that I'm curently driving a VW Polo 1.4 (BLM) and would like to upgrade to a 1.6 or even a GTI engine, so what must I also change as in terms of computer box, or will it just fit correctly without any hassles? Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 11/04/2014 17:27:25 | ID: 94100

oganne, Botswana

Volkswagen Polo

hi. i have 97 polo classic. when i reverse there sound and something gear move from reverse position. can anyone help

Submitted: 09/04/2014 00:30:33 | ID: 93536

Audrey Lawrenc, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2002

When I cold start my Volkswagen Polo it starts and dies as if it has got no petrol. I try and start it about 6 times and then it sort of starts and back fires. Please can someone help? (Classic)

Submitted: 08/04/2014 15:58:10 | ID: 93979

Mpho Maswinga, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

Hi there my Volkswagen Polo 1.4 hatchback runs out of water every two days. Does anyone know why?

Submitted: 08/04/2014 09:00:17 | ID: 93951

Cara Walker, England

Volkswagen Polo 1995

My Volkswagen Polo`s speedo and rev counter have started working only when they feel like it, although the trip counter continues to work when the fault occurs. Can anyone explain why this should happen please?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 09:52:52 | ID: 93908

Andrew Davies, England

Volkswagen Polo 1995

The speedo/tacho on my Volkswagen Polo intermittently do not work 5 out of 10 times on starting the engine. I have tried replacing the speed sensor and checking connections but all to no avail. I hope you can help? (1.6G)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 09:24:04 | ID: 94014

Vusi Mpongoma, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2006

I have a 2006 Volkswagen Polo 1.4. The ABS light is on and there is a noise when I apply the brakes and it sounds like it’s under the pedal, as if something is loose. I checked the brake switch and brakepads and the switch and all`s well. Please can anybody help? (1.4)

Submitted: 03/04/2014 09:41:21 | ID: 93821

Kaahif Akram, England

Volkswagen Polo 2012

Hi, I have a Volkswagen Polo 2013 1.2 petrol and it makes a noise in first gear when I drive, it sounds like diesel. Is that normal?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 15:09:26 | ID: 93806

Monica Trollip, Warwickshire

Volkswagen Polo 2003

Hi, I have a Volkswagen Polo Playa 1.6 2003. I have a new battery in the car and it`s had a service. The problem is when I drive and slow down for a corner or a roundabout the car just dies. If I slow down for a stop signal the car at times just dies, because the revs just drop down, but if I just brake, brake, brake - like short brakes to come to a stop it is fine, otherwise he just dies. When it stands for a while the revs start climbing again. The battery has been tested and it shows fine and the car starts everytime fine, the problem`s just when slowing down. Does anyone have any ideas please? Thank you.

Submitted: 01/04/2014 10:37:48 | ID: 93750

Ross Griffiths, England

Volkswagen Polo 2012

When I switch on the ignition of my Volkswagen Polo all of the dash lights come on including the power steering light, then once the computer has done its check all lights go out including the power steering light. Then once I start the car the power steering light comes on but I have no power steering. Has anyone got an answer to this problem please? (1.4)

Submitted: 31/03/2014 15:42:54 | ID: 93569

Montsho Mohapi, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2008

Hello there, I have a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 2008 model and have recently changed the left V-arm and control arm, but now I’m experiencing a slight swerve whenever I’m changing gears. What could it be?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 15:24:18 | ID: 93667

Jabu Mabena, Sutherland

Volkswagen Polo 2011

I have a Volkswagen Polo 2011 model trend line and the brake lights are not working. Advice please?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 11:09:32 | ID: 93625

Sam Paulus, Namibia

Volkswagen Polo 2000

My Volkswagen Polo`s engine cuts off when I have it washed with a high pressure cleaner inside the engine or when I drive in rain or drive in water. What can the problem be?

Submitted: 28/03/2014 15:21:51 | ID: 94002

Sam Paulus, Namibia

Volkswagen Polo 2000

My car’s engine cuts off when I have it washed with a high pressure cleaner inside the engine or when I drive in rain or drive in water. What can be the problem?

Submitted: 26/03/2014 16:08:01 | ID: 93618

Vasile Pusca, Romania

Volkswagen Polo 2001

Hello, I have a 2001 Volkswagen Polo classic 1.6 engine, 75 and urban consumption is 15 litres per hundred km. I changed the spark plugs, air filter, I checked with vagcom without giving any error. The temperature on the board is 90 degrees constantly. Can anybody help me with a solution about this problem? (classic)

Submitted: 25/03/2014 11:07:26 | ID: 57605

Kam, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2008

Hi guys, when I put my Volkswagen Polo into reverse and begin reversing (especially in the morning), there is a grinding noise coming from the back. This also happens, albeit less, when moving from first gear. I saw a mechanic this morning and he reckons that it is normal for the noise to be there because the automatic cars are used to going forward all of the time and he mentioned something about the caliper and pad going in the forward direction and when put in reverse the gap is larger and therefore makes a noise. It makes a slight noise when put in drive when starting from a stopped position, but when I`m driving and put it in neutral and come to a stop then there is no noise. Has anyone had the same ’problem’? Is this in fact normal? Thanks. (1.6 Trendline Automatic)

Hi Kam, what your mechanic is describing is partially true. Whilst it is normal to hear brake rub from your vehicle, both in reverse and whilst going forward, it is not true to say that the pads wear differently front to back. All modern vehicles are designed so the pads wear evenly, as the pressure is applied evenly to the disc by the front center and rear of the pad. Where it may differ slightly it is due to warped or unevenly worn wheel (brake) discs, or where brake servicing is neglected to the point where the pads wear through and actually scar/wear/warp the discs. You tend to hear brake rub, especially if the vehicle is rarely used, the vehicle is in damp/moist conditions or mainly used just for short journeys. In the majority of cases the noise is minimal and only lasts for a short period of time. In conclusion, if you consider the brake rub to be badly grinding and/or overly persistent (noise loud or lasting longer each journey, It would be worth while getting the brake discs and pads checked and the calipers checked for leaks and function. I hope this help you. Tom from Ireland

Submitted: 21/03/2014 11:32:50 | ID: 63145

Steven Martin, Kent

Volkswagen Polo 1995

I was driving my Volkswagen Polo and all of a sudden I lost all gears. When I put it in gear it just makes a grinding noise? Please help?

Hi Steve, Your description is limited but what you describe suggests clutch failure, especially if the failure you describe here happened after long use in high gear and the grinding was as a result of a gear change after high gear usage. At the time of the incident or just before hand, did you experience the smell of burning? Was there a preceding thud, clutch pedal flop (pedal falls to floor) or sudden clutch pedal stiffening (pedal becomes stiff hard to push in)? Take a look at the clutch housing, on the transverse engine (don’t know what model you have) it would be to the right of the engine as you look into the engine bay. Check to see if there is movement, check visible condition etc. Sorry to be quite limited in reply, if you have not sorted the issue please give more information. Tom from Ireland

Submitted: 20/03/2014 14:14:36 | ID: 63087

Muhammad Khan, Lancashire

Volkswagen Polo 2001

My Volkswagen Polo makes a thud sound when I bring it to a complete stop. I have checked the spare tyre and it seems to be tightly fastened. Sometimes when I go over speed bumps it makes a similar sound. It seems to be coming from the front of the car. Any help please?

Submitted: 20/03/2014 10:30:36 | ID: 63002

Tumelo, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2005

Hi, I have a 2005 Volkswagen Polo classic and there is a popping sound/knock. It`s a single pop, mostly when turning either left or right and on uneven roads. What could that be? Thank you.

Submitted: 18/03/2014 09:10:15 | ID: 62969

George Costa, Zimbabwe

Volkswagen Polo 2001

My Volkswagen Polo`s rev counter is not working. What can be the problem with my car please?

Submitted: 18/03/2014 08:53:31 | ID: 62839

Jim Stefancik, Australia

Volkswagen Polo 2010

After 55,000 km on the clock of my Volkswagen Polo the manual gearbox is grinding only when upshifting from first to second gear and intermittently. Is this a serious problem? (77 tsi)

Submitted: 14/03/2014 11:41:09 | ID: 62774

James Bisset, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Volkswagen Polo 2007

Hi, I’m asking this question on behalf of my sister. The radiator fan on her Volkswagen Polo runs immediately on start-up. This means that the engine is running cooler than it should, which can’t be good for the engine as she does mainly short distance journeys. I expect the problem is electrical. Where should I be looking to fix the fault? Thanks. (1.4)

Submitted: 13/03/2014 14:50:12 | ID: 62799

Musa Simelane, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2004

Hi. My Volkswagen Polo’s cigarette lighter compartment is acting funny. I plugged in a modulator a few days ago and it was working fine but somewhere along the song it just cut power off. I unplugged and put it back on, the backlight comes on but the display is blank, so I threw the modulator away. But when I plugged in my Garmin navigator the blue light of the charger cable comes on, although the navigator is not charged, same with the cellphone. I presume there is not enough power from the cigarette lighter, even though the fuse seems okay? What else should I try? (1.9 tdi)

Submitted: 13/03/2014 10:22:58 | ID: 62716

Miron Basson, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2002

Hi, I have a Volkswagen Polo Classic 1.6 2002 Model car that does not want to start. .I drove it this morning and I could feel there’s a short when it idles, but eventually stop to start. The engine turns but doesn`t want to idle. What components on the engine can I check because it seems like an electrical fault somewhere, either the coil, distributor or a relay? Please, I need some more advice?

Submitted: 10/03/2014 11:52:09 | ID: 62686

Dhinesh, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2003

Hi. I have a 2003 Volkswagen Polo classic 1.4. At times when I start the car the revs just go down, then I have to swing for a little while and then she starts. Any idea what the fault could be? Assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Submitted: 10/03/2014 10:46:57 | ID: 62549

Yatin Jairam, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2004

Hi I have a problem with my Volkswagen Polo 1.6 trendline. My ABS light started showing with my handbrake light today and as I switch on the ignition my speedometer starts to show speeds when the car is still switched off. Also 3 beeps are heard when the ignition is switched on. What could the problem be? Thanks. (trendline)

Submitted: 10/03/2014 09:53:18 | ID: 62632

Mike Ellis, Kent

Volkswagen Polo 2000

Hi, I have become the owner of a fairly old 2000 Volkswagen Polo. The car was working fine when I got it but has not been used for a couple of months due to insurance and me being away. I tried jump starting it as obviously the battery was dead due to it not being used. Anyway I got the car started easy enough but when I put my foot on the accelerator there was no response. The car was running but even putting my foot to the floor the car did not respond. I would be grateful if anyone knows if this is an easy fix (related to the battery being old) or something a lot more serious? Thanks in advance.

The accelerator is "fly by wire" technology. There is an electrical connection between throttle pedal and engine. Make sure all the plugs are in properly around the air intake piping and the plug connectors are not corroded. Make sure you have a good battery. If it ran dead flat the electronics may have lost settings, but that would be unusual. Go for the obvious first, plugs wires etc from pedal to engine. If you can’t find a physical issue you need to do a diagnostic check with a fault code reader or similar plugged into the cars diagnostic socket. My Polo is a 2000 sdi and the diagnostic socket is seen when the ash tray is removed. Hope this helps. Jeff Egan from England

Submitted: 04/03/2014 10:06:21 | ID: 89974

Esk Doubell, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo 2004

My Volkswagen Polo`s cluster resets itself, with all lights coming on. My dealer fitted temperature sensor and earth cable, body to battery, but the cluster still resets itself. Why would it do this and how many times must I pay for a problem that’s not solved? Can anybody please help on this matter? (1600)

Submitted: 03/03/2014 14:56:47 | ID: 62483

Samantha, England

Volkswagen Polo 2012

I have a Volkswagen Polo 2013 comfortline. I purchased it brand new. After 7 months the seatbelt sensor stopped working. I took it in for a service and the dealership advised that it never had sensors. I am confident that it did. Can anyone help? (1.4 comfortline)

Try placing a heavy bag of shopping or similar on passenger seat. It should trigger a sest belt warning when you move off. If it does then something is wrong with drivers side. Hope thos helps. Jeff Egan from England

Submitted: 03/03/2014 14:35:08 | ID: 62441

Chido, England

Volkswagen Polo 2004

Hi. I`m driving a Volkswagen Polo 2004 with the 4 round lights. My problem started a month ago, after very heavy rains and just after the car was washed. The engine cranked and failed to run, engine showing battery light and I switched off. I let it sit for about an hour, switched it on again and it was fine. A month later after travelling about 500km, I could feel the car struggling to go up a slope and jerking, then after taking a left turn it stopped, I switched off with the battery light showing. I let it sit for about 5 minutes, tried to switch it on again and it was fine until the next day after reversing up a slope. After switching from reverse to drive mode, the battery light came on and the car switched off. I tried it again, it cranked but wouldn`t run the engine, then switched off again. At the tenth attempt it just wouldn’t start as if it was out of fuel. The drive lights wouldn’t come on either, however all other lights were working fine and so was the radio. A specialist checked it out and said the fuel pump had seized so it was replaced and the car was fine until the next morning. it wouldn’t run the engine until the third attempt and now the same problem still persists. If it sits for more than two hours the engine won`t run until second or third attempt, plus I can still feel it`s struggling to go up slopes and jerks a little too much while changing gears, which is something it never used to do. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Submitted: 03/03/2014 12:31:58 | ID: 62484