VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions and answers

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VOLKSWAGEN POLO models. Help and advice on everything VOLKSWAGEN POLO. Feel free to ask and answer as many VOLKSWAGEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VOLKSWAGEN POLO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Deveraux, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Good Day I have a 2016 Polo Vivo 1.4i.It has been in an accident, the airbags popped and I fixed the car and replaced the airbags. The EPC and Airbags lights are on and the car cranks but doesn't want to start. I changed the Crank Sensor and still it doesn't want to start. Please assist.

Submitted: 26/05/2017 11:20:06 | ID: 141555

mandzo, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi, My car aircon is not working and I realised that the fan when I pop up the boot is not spinning when the car starts or is in motion. Can one assist what could be the problem?

Submitted: 19/05/2017 09:45:16 | ID: 141386

Dhiraj, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi all, I started my car this morning and drove to work but when I got to my office park the car suddenly cut off when I accelerated. I have checked the fuel lines going into the engine and it seems fine, checked the spark plugs also and they were all good as well. What could be the problem??

Submitted: 17/05/2017 12:19:00 | ID: 141352

Tolbize, Mauritius

Volkswagen Polo

I had a problem with my stoplight. I finally come to know the problem came from the brakelight switch. I would like to know if I can use the same switch than for a Volkswagen MK4 2002-2005 or is it specific to each model. thank you in advance.

Submitted: 13/05/2017 05:42:29 | ID: 141278

mark, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

good day i have a polo classic 98 model 1.6i and i want to replace my transmission drive flange that is where the cv inner connects to the gearbox please explain to me how to handle the job as i do not have time to remove the gearbox

Submitted: 08/05/2017 18:24:19 | ID: 141173

andile, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I have a polo classic 1998 model it starts but it doesn't take gears when its on but when its switched off it does take gears so what could be the cause of this

Submitted: 28/04/2017 08:22:02 | ID: 140973

John, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi ...My vw polo can start and idle well but it can not ref...please help

I don't know the answer,that is why I need help from you John from South Africa

Submitted: 26/04/2017 15:13:26 | ID: 140928

John, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi...My vw polo classic 2.0 engin 1998-2000 can start and idle well but it can not ref or drive.please help

You mean your car was driving OK and then all of a sudden it's like this? If you've been driving your Polo too hard and braking violently or been in a crash it will bring on the EPC warning light and the symptoms you describe. However there are things you can look at. Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes then reconnect to see if you can reset the ECU. Check the spark plugs, if they are black and sooty then the ECU is overfuielling the engine and needs resetting or overhauling. The accelerator pedal has a micro switch that may have gone faulty and need replaced. The engine knock sensors may have activated and caused fault lights to come on. A faulty brake light switch can cause the EPC light to come on and give you problems so check and see if your brake lights are working and not staying on when your foot is off the brake. There's other things but you need to get it scanned for fault codes otherwise you're just guessing. Hugh from City of Glasgow

Submitted: 26/04/2017 14:38:06 | ID: 140926

Crispen, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi, I have a vw polo 2011 model, when I am driving it , the high temperature warning sign appeares on the dash but temperature gauge is on the normal position it stays when the car is running. What could be the problem

That used to be a well known problem with VW's there was a diode (or some other electronic gizmo) failure in the overheat warning light system which caused the light to come on even though the temp was OK. It meant taking out the dash and taking the instrument cluster to a repair shop, the fix was fairly cheap. Either thast or some people used to just put a big o black tape over the instrument glass (pespex). Hugh from City of Glasgow

Submitted: 25/04/2017 19:49:59 | ID: 140903

Megan, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi could someone tell me i need to take my polo for its manor sirvice ...what do they need to service .....

Any reputable garage will tell you what is involved in a major service with your particular car, it should also be shown in your car handbook. If they are now willing to provide a written quote then don't go there. The VW dealer will service your car per the VW service schedule which is dependent on mileage, type of vehicle, whether petrol or diesel etc. Hugh from City of Glasgow

Correction: I should have said ".... if they are NOT willing to provide a written quote ...." Hugh from City of Glasgow

Submitted: 25/04/2017 09:58:05 | ID: 140880

Kevin, Perth and Kinross

Volkswagen Polo

1.2 vw polo starts but when take foot of exelarator pedal it cuts of and stalls any ideas would be appreciated thanx

Submitted: 23/04/2017 11:01:13 | ID: 140834

mike, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi,thank you for the site,hoop you can help.the car is constantly hesitant when at low revs while driving.it is only when the pedal is being stepped on that the ploblem quits Thank you very much for your assistance

Submitted: 23/04/2017 08:21:31 | ID: 140833

Ora, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

My VW polo 2006 is jerking and loosing power. although it has just been serviced. The plugs and coil have been checked and they have a spark. When tested. Leads 3 and 4 do not give the same reaction as 1 and 2 as if they do not connect properly to the cylinders . Can the fault be with the cylinders needing repairs to the top as suggested by the technician? the car is not mixing so far. How will I know that its the leads? What can I do to rectify if its leads?

With the engine idling, if disconnecting either lead 3 or 4 has less effect on the engine running than either lead 1 or 2 then you may have faulty leads for 3 and 4 and a replacement set of leads is required. You could try swapping the leads for 3 and 4 around with 1 and 2 but be very careful or you will lose the firing order. However if cylinders 3 and 4 are down on compression then it's nothing to do with the plug leads and requires further investigation eg blown cylinder head gasket, burnt valves etc. Hugh from City of Glasgow

Thanks Hugh I have replaced the leads and cleaned the carb and the car is now running smoothly. Ora from South Africa

Submitted: 20/04/2017 23:53:57 | ID: 140790

Al, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

the key does not want to go in to the ignition to start. it goes in a little then get stuck. am unable to start vehicle can anyone please advise

Submitted: 19/04/2017 16:08:48 | ID: 140745

Gcinaphi, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I have 2012 Polo Vivo. One of the spark plugs is wet, it also consumes a lot of fuel e.g. a full tank got finished in 4 days yet I only drove 20km. What could be the problem? One "mechanic" said I should replace the ignition a coil which I did but the spark plug was still wet & fuel consumption was still high, he then said he needs to remove the top gasket and take it to an engineering company so that they could "skim it" plus replace a few valves; he has removed the top gasket yet but am a bit uncomfortable about that as he does not tell me why it needs to be "skimmed"; am a just confused now.

Submitted: 18/04/2017 15:07:27 | ID: 140711

neville, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Good morning my vw polo 2008 switches off while driving. Secondly of late the abs light, brake light comes on.

Submitted: 13/04/2017 05:26:57 | ID: 140590

mapula, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Epc light and steering sign. What is the problemlight

Submitted: 12/04/2017 22:05:27 | ID: 140586

Peter, West Midlands

Volkswagen Polo

Hi why won't my car go into fifth gear?

Submitted: 09/04/2017 21:29:36 | ID: 140517

Nathu, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

My polo vivo is at 127000km on the click, less than 10000km after engine was done. Almost every 3-5km it shows temperature light, doesn't overheat but lose water a lot. What can be the problem?

Submitted: 05/04/2017 05:59:06 | ID: 140421

petrus, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

hi I have a polo playa it is a 1.6i. I have changed most of the sensors on the car and a throttle body but the car over fuel a lot what can I do to fix this? must I reset it?

Submitted: 30/03/2017 12:49:20 | ID: 140279

Mojela, Central African Republic

A hooter does not work

Submitted: 28/03/2017 04:06:21 | ID: 140213

Mojela, Central African Republic

Volkswagen Polo

I need to remove horn panel

Submitted: 28/03/2017 04:01:33 | ID: 140212

linz, Flintshire

Volkswagen Polo

I bought my 1.4 polo 2008 after being told they are great on mileage. This is not the case with this one. I get 300 miles to the tank if lucky. I'm a careful lady driver, not a racer! Is there something I can do to change this, its costing me a fortune in commuting.

Submitted: 27/03/2017 10:40:36 | ID: 140185

Shaun, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi I am driving a 2011 polo gti dsg . It is in P and the engine won't start or the gearlever come out of P .

Sounds like a failed solenoid. Get it scanned for trouble code. Hugh from City of Glasgow

Submitted: 17/03/2017 05:46:12 | ID: 139914

Sabelo, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi, when i turn the key to start the car doesnt swing, but when i kickstart it, it runs first time but displays the EPC light on the cluster, i left it idling for about 10 minutes then switched it off, when i start it again nothing happens, no crank no swing no nothing. Please assist. 2006 Polo 1.4i Trend (9N BLM engine)

Try checking the battery condition and the starter motor. Mick from Portugal

Submitted: 09/03/2017 06:45:24 | ID: 139678

Sizane, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

My polo 1.4bby engine 2008 model while starting will idle but won't accelerate please help me.

Broken throttle (accelerator) cable or, if you have drive by wire, throttle position sensor faulty. Hugh from City of Glasgow

Submitted: 07/03/2017 06:54:25 | ID: 139565

tembela2014@gmail.com, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

well my polo gti 2013 model dont want to start the key turns but the engine dont want to iddle at all I dont realy know what is the problem please help

Submitted: 28/02/2017 05:17:28 | ID: 139286

tembela2014@gmail.com, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

my polo gti 2013/2014 model is stuck dont want start its only turning the key on ignition I want to know what is the problem?

Submitted: 28/02/2017 05:07:16 | ID: 139285

Satish, Afghanistan

Not starting without accelerater

Submitted: 23/02/2017 13:14:01 | ID: 139138

Yvonne, Zimbabwe

Volkswagen Polo

Polo classic 1.6 1997 wont start after i park it for a day or 2. For it to start i need to remove the fuel pipe, block it and start without it and rave the car then put back the pipe then it starts. Move around with the car for some time without problems but wen i park it overnight the next time i try to start it wont start and have to repeat the above process all over again. Ps wen i start it i nidbto have flat foot on the accellerator. What could be the problem

Submitted: 30/01/2017 17:34:29 | ID: 138542

Erika, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

When I started the engine this afternoon, I had no gears. I had to restart the engine, and only then had gears again. This happened in December 2016 as well. Can anyone please tell me what might be wrong. And, sometimes when I want to start the engine, it just won't go. I sometimes need to try up to 12 times before the engine runs. I have a new battery and it is not the starter.

Submitted: 21/01/2017 14:41:44 | ID: 138283

Cleo, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

They did the overhaul of the engine, now the plugs are all the time full of petrol and don't want to start, we change coil ignition, camshaft position sensor but nothing, please help what can be the problem.

Submitted: 18/01/2017 08:33:32 | ID: 138210

Sam, Uganda

Volkswagen Polo

Hi, My VW Polo 2001, sways from side to side when i drive at a slow speed. I have changed almost everything. I even bought new 4 michelin tires and new rims but the car still sways from side to side. What could be the problem with the car?

Submitted: 10/01/2017 12:38:20 | ID: 137990

Sam, Uganda

Submitted: 10/01/2017 12:35:31 | ID: 137989

Tanya, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

I bought a 2010 VW - Demo model in November 2016. When you drive all door panels makes a noise, sounds like when plastic is hot and the sound when it cools down... What can the cause of this be and can I fix it because it is an iritation when driving?

Submitted: 09/01/2017 11:24:10 | ID: 137957

Andrew Swartz, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

GOOD DAY,I HAVE A 2005 VW POLO 1.6 . AT NIGHTAND EARLY IN THE MORNING WHEN ITS STILL COOL THE CAR DRIVE VERY NICE BUT WHEN THE WHEATHER GETS HOTTER THE CAR SWITHTED OFF THE ENGINE WHILE DRIVING EVERY NOW AND THAN, WHERE CAN I CHECK FOR THE PROBLEM ? I CHANGED THE OIL UNIT AND FUEL FILTER AND REPLACE FUEL PUMP RELAY AND ALSO REPLACE FUEL PUMP. REGARDS.

Submitted: 03/01/2017 13:59:14 | ID: 137760

Mr A Whittock, Bath and North East Somerset

Volkswagen Polo

When i start my Polo up in the mornings, (or it's been parked up for aprox 4 hours), I get a tapping sound for aprox 3 seconds, like one of the tappets has drained it's oil. Is this a problem that should be corrected ,or is it ok just to carry on . Also from time to time I get a distant sound coming from the bulkhead area that sounds like a beeping noise, I think it's the computer doing it's stuff. Perhaps someone can advice what is really going on, and advice if it should be looked at.

Submitted: 02/01/2017 13:50:12 | ID: 137731

Lunga, Bangladesh

Volkswagen Polo

My car is over heating and when its hot it drows out the water

Submitted: 30/12/2016 08:47:01 | ID: 137681

micheala, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Good day; My 2009 volkswagen polo 1.4 trendline is smeling like petrol when i start my car.White smoke is coming from the back.I replaced the coil of the engin and the shocks but yet nothing. I am afraid my vehicl can catch fire.Please help me

Submitted: 26/12/2016 15:33:28 | ID: 137601

Mpho Hlongwane, South Africa

Volkswagen Polo

Hi I my car doesn't want to start anymore the key only turns up until NO and doesn't move forward to start ..can it be because am using the spear key because the original broke ?

Submitted: 21/12/2016 08:21:34 | ID: 137503