VOLKSWAGEN CRAFTER questions and answers

VOLKSWAGEN Crafter

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VOLKSWAGEN CRAFTER models. Help and advice on everything VOLKSWAGEN CRAFTER. Feel free to ask and answer as many VOLKSWAGEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VOLKSWAGEN CRAFTER questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

steve, Berkshire

Volkswagen Crafter

Help pulled all my hair out over this! 109 crafter blew up in November 1 melted piston, had engine totally rebuilt new crank,rings,1 piston, new bosh injectors new dpf, new pipes on top of engine ,new fuel reg, + sensor, we did everything, first trip out after 5 min idle lots of white smoke for gear 1,2,3 then clear no more then for a while completed 2000 miles with the same problem every 5 min it idled so back to workshop engine out strip 5 new pistons new rings test all injectors replace one as slight pitting rebuild put back in still got exact same prob 25 bar across all 5 cylinders engine sounds like a rolls still white smoke on tick over and acceleration in first 3 gears now thinking turbo can anyone help me i have no hair left to pull !!!!!

Sounds like turbo or blocked pcv breather valve on engine.has it burnt/used much oil in the 2000 miles ? tony from Kent

Submitted: 12/04/2014 17:26:35 | ID: 94137

J Anderson, Leicestershire

Volkswagen Crafter

Maybe a key problem....??????? cannot even get the steering lock to disengage. all that happens when I put the key in is I get an illuminated van with a key in it as a caption. I have checked the fob battery, it wil lock and unlock central locking and the voltage is good with a multimeter. I have tried disconnecting the battery to try and reset. No luck. ny ideas please.....Thanks

Your key or ignition barrel has lost its code and needs reprograming.the lock wont come off if the code is lost.you will find some one on internet that will come out and reprogram them for about 100-150 quid tony from Kent

Submitted: 10/04/2014 10:46:33 | ID: 94068

Nick, Middlesex

Volkswagen Crafter

When I reverse my crafter I get a clonking noise from the front as if it's got problem with driveshafts but being rear wheel drive it has none Has anyone else experienced this??

Submitted: 09/04/2014 19:28:02 | ID: 94046

Mark Taylor, Ayrshire

Volkswagen Crafter 2008

Hi, my Volkswagen Crafter`s interior light stays on when I start the engine. Any solutions? (Crafter)

Submitted: 08/04/2014 15:45:55 | ID: 93957

James, England

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

Hi. I`m after some help please. I have a 57 plate Volkswagen Crafter 2.5 and after overrun once and accelerating again there`s a big cloud of smoke. I have cleaned the breather and valve on top of the rocker cover and bypassed it but it`s still the same. Also being an HGV fitter the only way I can explain this bit is - on overrun after a couple of seconds it sounds like an exhaust brake kicking in, when you accelerate it goes and I get a cloud of smoke? Any help would be much appreciated. Regards.

Im a hgv fitter too and also have a friend with exact same problem.im going back to it today, im pulling turbo off to see if manifold is full of oil, if so id say the oil is coming up past the rings but im hoping the seal is gone in the turbo and sucking the oil through.that breather should open and shut under pressure and let the crank case pressure back in to inlet manifold.if thats stuck open it will suck the oil through.also the excess oil has killed the dpf which I will sort out when I find the excessive burning/loss of oil issue.i will let you know my findings.good luck tony from Kent

Let me know of your findings tony from Kent

Submitted: 07/04/2014 11:01:11 | ID: 93872

John Roper, England

Volkswagen Crafter 2008

Hi, I was suffering with dpf problems on my Volkswagen Crafter but had it removed and remapped. The van drives brilliantly with no smoke until it goes into overrun, then it seems to suck oil into the inlet manifold. Then when I put my foot down I get a cloud of grey/blue smoke and the smell of burning oil. Mine is a 57-plate VW Crafter 109 with 120,000 miles. I have also changed the oil/air separator with no joy. Can anybody help me out please?

Ive replied to james above, same problem as we are having .hope it helps tony from Kent

Submitted: 04/04/2014 09:51:22 | ID: 93861

Martin Hlongwane, South Africa

Volkswagen Crafter 2008

My 2008 Volkswagen Crafter has lost power and I can barely reach 40km/hr. It starts and revs well and has no unusual noises from the engine but the problem comes when I need power to drive uphill. Does anyone know what I can do? (50 2.5 TDI 80kw)

Check if your intercooler is clear inside and outside, then check if the turbo is working. Lemiel Mondo from Botswana

Submitted: 01/04/2014 15:26:16 | ID: 93800

Mark Salmon, Lancashire

Volkswagen Crafter 2008

Hi, I have a 2008 Volkswagen Crafter Crewcab pickup which is suffering a power drain and the battery goes flat over the weekend. There are no internal lights left on and the alarm is set. I have had the electrical system tested and we can`t find any power drain. I have installed a new battery which makes no difference. Can anyone please help? (crewcab)

Submitted: 28/03/2014 16:25:41 | ID: 93608

Wani Xola, South Africa

Volkswagen Crafter 2008

I have a 2008 Crafter, when the van is moving it shakes, what might be the problem?

Submitted: 26/03/2014 16:00:43 | ID: 93991

Brian Grimes, England

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

Hi. I had the passenger seat base out of my Volkswagen Crafter the other day to clean up a spillage. I disconnected the yellow plug to the seat belt, I believe something to do with the srs and now when driving the srs light is permanently on on the dash. Is there any way of resetting this without taking it to a dealer? Any help would be appreciated thanks. (163 lwb)

Submitted: 17/03/2014 11:14:20 | ID: 62907

Andy, Kent

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

I have a 2007 Volkswagen Crafter and I have changed the piston rings, egr valve and new turbo back on overran but I still get a big cloud of smoke when I put my foot down. Any ideas as it`s driving me mad? I’ve changed the oil separator on the top of the crank covers as well.

Submitted: 03/03/2014 11:54:49 | ID: 53190

Les Warren, Lancashire

Volkswagen Crafter 2010

My Volkswagen Crafter`s back door was not closed properly and the door open warning on the dash came on. I have sorted the rear door to close but I can’t make the warning light go off. Any resets I can do?

Submitted: 28/01/2014 15:41:36 | ID: 61426

Bobby Tabs, Scotland

Volkswagen Crafter 2012

Hi. I have a Volkswagen Crafter C35 LWB. Does anyone know what the tyre pressure should be? I have an average of 300kg in the back. I have had so many different answers. Thanks. (C35)

Think it’s 45psi empty and 65psi loaded, so 50 - 55psi? Stu W from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 24/01/2014 12:06:15 | ID: 59022

Gerard Rooney, Northern Ireland

Volkswagen Crafter 2006

Where is the location of my fuel filter in my Volkswagen Crafter van?

Underneath, next to the fuel tank Stu from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 21/01/2014 11:15:30 | ID: 66445

David Gillespie, England

Volkswagen Crafter 2009

Hi, I have a 2009 Volkswagen Crafter. I had it remap with a new turbo, cleaned the egr and it had a new air flow meter. It goes good if the rpm doesn`t go below 2000rpm,which makes me go down gears all of the time. Has anybody else had this problem and have any answers? Thanks.

Submitted: 21/01/2014 10:10:01 | ID: 60027

Gerard Rooney, Northern Ireland

Volkswagen Crafter 2006

Can anyone tell me where I could locate the fuel filter?

Underneath the van. David Granger from Lanarkshire

Fuel filter located on n/s next to fuel tank. You’ll have to lie down on your back and reach under where the filler flap is. Alan Brown from Lancashire

Submitted: 19/01/2014 22:16:49 | ID: 60905

John Burns, Scotland

Volkswagen Crafter 2010

Hi. On my Volkswagen Crafter I get a knocking noise on the driver`s side, feels like it`s under my feet. I have jacked it up and gave the wheel a shake but it seems fine. I also checked the drop link and track rod end, found a small play in the track rod but nothing major. I`m wondering if it’s some kind of bush as it only happens over bumpy roads, well that’s all of Scotland`s roads for you. Any comments please? (Cr35 109 mwb)

I had a similar noise on mine and bought parts including top mounts, drop links and ball joints. In the end it was simply the anti rollbar bushes(cheap and easy) so might be worth checking these. Adam Hazelton from England

Submitted: 17/01/2014 14:38:11 | ID: 60852

Ken Chapman, England

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

Hi. I have a Volkswagen Crafter van. When we have a frost my fuel filter seems to get blocked when I put on a bit of throttle to get uphill, but in normal weather it is okay. What can I do to overcome this problem?

Sorry I cannot answer this question, but was wondering can you tell me where the location of the fuel filter is. I can’t seem to find it on my own VW Crafter. Would appreciate it. Gerard Rooney from Northern Ireland

Maybe you have some water in the filter? Might be worth draining it. The filter is underneath, next to the fuel tank. Stu from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 14/01/2014 11:21:39 | ID: 60672

Mark Hall, Norfolk

Volkswagen Crafter 2009

We have a Volkswagen Crafter (CR35 Blue motion) and the adblue Rest warning came on. We filled it with 20 litres of adblue as that was all we had at the time but the warning light stayed on. We have since filled it to the top of the filler tube and the light is still on. According to the handbook you are supposed to fill it to the top and turn the key to the start position without starting, wait 20 seconds and it is supposed to reset the warning, but guess what, it doesn’t. As I was filling it, it just keeps taking it and I have put about 30 litres in total with nothing leaking out underneath. Does anyone have any ideas? I am stumped and the counter is down to 150 miles now and again according to the handbook when it reaches zero it will go into reduced torque (limp mode). Any ideas? (CR35)

Submitted: 13/01/2014 11:03:37 | ID: 60656

Richard Byrnes, Neath Port Talbot

Volkswagen Crafter 2008

Hi, I am wondering if anybody can help? I have a Volkswagen Crafter 109 08 model. I had the dpf taken out and remapped and it goes much better. I also have had a new turbo fitted and it drives spot on if the engine is running over 2000 rpm but is very flat under that, which is a pain when changing up gears when climbing hills. Is there any way of adjusting the turbo to come in a bit earlier? Many thanks. (109)

Hi, sorry I can’t give u a answer, my van has the same problem, did u ever get it fix? If u found the problem could u email me the answer on djgillespie711@gmail.com. Thanks. David Gillespie from County Down

I think they’re all the same below 2000 rpm, mine is flat as a fart then picks up and runs just fine Ged Boydell from Yorkshire

Hi, I got my Crafter checked out, coming up low boost pressure, have the same problem as yours. The van goes brill. If the van’s at 2000 rpm everybody tells me it sounds like a turbo, but I’ve had the turbo done. Don’t know what else I can do! David Gillespie from County Down

Hi, I found the problem. My DPF filter was block, that’s why the van is flat below 2000rpm. David Gillespie from County Down

Submitted: 23/12/2013 12:06:13 | ID: 59672

Tendai Chanetsa, Zimbabwe

Volkswagen Crafter 2002

My Volkswagen Crafter is having a problem when you are driving it. When it reaches a speed of say 60km/hr, the glow plug light starts flashing continuously and the revs drop to 2200 whilst you are revving it fully or it cuts off the engine. What should I do?

I had a similar problem so had a diagnostic test, which indicated there was a problem with an injector. Had it changed and is running fine now. Gideon Turner from England

Submitted: 20/12/2013 10:24:36 | ID: 59561

Adrian Denvir, County Down

Volkswagen Crafter 2006

My 06 Volkswagen Crafter sometimes makes a ticking noise like tappets, never when the engine is cold but not always when the engine is warm. What causes this and how do I cure this?

I’ve had the same noise for about a year now. Had it checked out when I first bought the van. Apparently it’s a sticky tappet. Had an engine flush, made no difference. It’s never caused a problem but is a bit worrying. Please post if you have any more info. Andy from Aberdeenshire

Vacuum pump. Barry Nicholls from England

It will be the vaccum pump and pushrod. Try changing the pushrod first, as this may cure it. Stu from Lincolnshire

Had the same problem on a Crafter, which only tapped when left to tick over. It was the vac pump. Try pumping the brake pedal to make the noise go away. Steve SD from Essex

Submitted: 17/12/2013 10:13:35 | ID: 59408

Jacques Wood, Northamptonshire

Volkswagen Crafter 2009

I’ve got a 59 plate Volkswagen Crafter that has a flat battery. It’s too flat to use the key to get to open the door. Is there a way of getting the bonnet open? Is there a way of reaching the release cable? Another way possible charging backwards through the alternator or starter motor by getting access underneath? What relays are between those and the battery? (Panel Van)

The battery is under the floor of the cab, you need to remove the edge of the passenger side step and take out the rubber mat. Ollie Smith from England

Hi I have the same problem, can you tell me if you have got an answer? Cheers. David Rushworth from Gloucestershire

Use the key in the door lock. Stu from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 26/11/2013 15:54:15 | ID: 58668

Matthew Adewunmi, South Africa

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

My Volkswagen Crafter is having problems starting. What can I do? (Diesel)

Submitted: 05/11/2013 12:11:41 | ID: 57397

Kevin Greasby, England

Volkswagen Crafter 2010

My Volkswagen Crafter`s interior lights are not working. I checked the fuse and that’s okay. Also my roof lights in the back are not working. Any master fuse that works both?

My one is the same. Mark from England

Your Problem is the electric body. Giovanni from Italy

Got the same problem but haven’t got a fuse board diagram explaining what fuse is what! Which one do I need to check? Nick from England

Try looking here http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_370.pdf Adam Hazelton from England

I have had this problem too. The condensation drips from the ariel above the interior lights and pir alarm system. This gets the circuit board wet and makes the lights and the pir system fail. This is a common problem. Look for green water marks etc on the unit. Adrian Barber from England

Submitted: 04/11/2013 16:08:33 | ID: 57355

Peter, Surrey

Volkswagen Crafter 2012

My Volkswagen Crafter`s radio doesn’t recognise any stations, it doesn’t search or anything. Basically it turns on and constantly searches. I changed the fuse but that didn’t help. Can anyone help? (lwb dropside)

Submitted: 07/10/2013 10:01:48 | ID: 92268

Shalom Spivako, Israel

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

Hi. I would like to know the size of piston rings for my Volkswagen Crafter`s engine? (BJL engine 006631)

Submitted: 04/10/2013 15:39:38 | ID: 55049

Jon Matthews, Staffordshire

Volkswagen Crafter 2010

Hi. Can anyone help please? I`ve had my 2.5d Volkswagen Crafter mapped up from a 109 to a 139, had dpf removed and mapped out. For 5k miles it was driving like a dream, now all of a sudden the CEL light comes on and then it goes into limp mode if I go over 2000rpm in 4,5 and 6th gear. I had a diagnostics check which came out as turbo underboost so I`ve changed the MAF sensor but it still happens. Any ideas please?

Change your turbo. Crafter Owner from Kent

Submitted: 27/09/2013 15:53:12 | ID: 55121

Mark Smith, England

Volkswagen Crafter 2008

On a 58 reg Volkswagen Crafter does the gear box need to removed to take the sump off?

Yes unfortunately. Daniel Mcgarry from England

No! You can do this by removing both engine mounting bolts and then jacking the engine up till the gear box bell housing touch is at the top! You then have about 6 inch to get in and I think its a 5mm allen key or 13mm socket! Have done this twice and it works. Dave from England

Submitted: 26/09/2013 16:04:42 | ID: 54956

Paul Bligh, Hampshire

Volkswagen Crafter 2008

I have a Volkswagen Crafter and the dpf has been removed and remapped but it smokes badly on idle. It drives fine with no loss of power but drinks fuel. Also when cold and too much revs it makes a horrible noise and stalls, then takes five minutes to re start. It doesn’t stall when warm. Can anyone advise? (136)

Mine does the same, any luck with yours? I’ve had injectors checked and they’re okay Sean ORiordon from Essex

Check your EGR valve or clean it. Crafter Owner from Kent

Submitted: 01/08/2013 12:17:32 | ID: 53225

Tapiwa L Muwori, Botswana

Volkswagen Crafter 2012

I`ve changed my Volkswagen Crafter`s water pump and replaced the timing belt. After that the vehicle started showing the glow plug light and cut off. On starting it fires immediately thereafter. Any advice? (2.5 TDI Engine Code 2KT)

Submitted: 01/08/2013 12:09:43 | ID: 53242

David Byrne, England

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

Hi there, I have got a VW Crafter that runs great. But it is hard to start even when it is warm. I have charged the battery up but still have the problem :-(( could it be the starter motor!!!! (Med / wheel base)

Could be the crank sensor. Alan Brown from Lancashire

Submitted: 30/05/2013 16:17:26 | ID: 54713

Peter Foster, Devon

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

I have an ongoing problem with my Volkswagen Crafter. It goes into limp mode, mostly first thing in the morning. I`ve been to VW and an independent who both say turbo under boost and a new turbo is the answer. Like others on these forums I`m not convinced, especially as I have found out it had a replacement turbo some 16 months ago. I don’t want to change parts willy nilly but hope somebody can put their finger on what’s really happening . Most of the time it’s fine, just every now and then it has a blip. Can anyone advise me please? Thanks. (109 Lwb)

Check EGR valve Matt from England

I have the same ongoing problem. So far I’ve had new boast switches, air flow metee, sensor of ever type, new turbo, exhaust pressure switch and it still does it, drives fine until I put pressure on engine usually up hill revs drop to 2000ish and ping limp home. Switch off then on again problem gone. I thought it might be pfd partical filter but someone suggested brake vaccum pump today. Help please!!! Mark Dale from Buckinghamshire

Your exhaust manifold might be cracked on the center, this is a common problem on these useless Crafters. Crafter Owner from Kent

Submitted: 14/05/2013 15:26:38 | ID: 54784

Paul Smith, Gloucestershire

Volkswagen Crafter 2007

My Volkswagen Crafter van drives normally, but every now and then when the engine is allowed to idle after driving the revs stay at 1000 and smoke comes from under the bonnet. In about 30 seconds something opens/click/operates and the engine idles down to 700rpm and the smoke goes. I have replaced the EGR valve and throttle control with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do about this? (LT35)

Hi Paul did you find out what was wrong with your crafter as mine is doing exactly the same??? Thanks Darren Mccoy from England

Hi I believe this is called a re generation cycle where the engine pumps more fuel in to burn off the build up in the dpf. Darren Mccoy from England

Submitted: 19/04/2013 09:37:49 | ID: 93187

Kevin Scott, Lincolnshire

Volkswagen Crafter 2010

I have a 2010 Volkswagen Crafter with 112,000 miles on. The Adblue Rest warning came on with an indication that I had 1400 miles left. I topped up the Adblue to the top and then followed instructions as per the manual. I turned on the ignition for 20 seconds, then started the engine. The trip now says 9999 and the warning light has gone off, but when I go to adblue the message still says Adblue rest. The van is running fine. Does anyone have any idea how to make it say Adblue okay? (C35)

Kevin, my Crafter has done exactly the same, did you manage to find a solution to reset adblue? Bob from Lancashire

I have a 2010 VW Crafter and my light came on with a message of "adblue rest". It also said it had 800 miles then a day later it came up with the same message and 90 miles. I have put 20L of adblue in and it’s still saying the same thing. Do you know how much adblue I should put in and how do I get the light off the dash? Marc Jones from Suffolk

Submitted: 10/04/2013 09:55:08 | ID: 92704

Ben Trought, England

Volkswagen Crafter 2008

Hi. I have just bought a Volkswagen Crafter 2008. When I unlock it on the key fob the rear doors sometimes open and sometimes don’t. I changed the rear locks but I still have the same problem. What can I do to resolve this?

Submitted: 02/04/2013 10:59:11 | ID: 90850

Avril Ward, Australia

Volkswagen Crafter 2008

The fan belt is squeaking (any tips to stop this squeak... tried soap) so I am going to change it. Any tips I need to know of getting the tension right? I would be grateful for any info, thanks.

Sure it’s self adjusting, you may need the tensioner replacing Steve from England

Submitted: 12/03/2013 14:17:36 | ID: 91609

Leo Gets, England

Volkswagen Crafter 2009

The interior light in the cab of my Volkswagen Crafter has stopped working. I’ve changed the fuse and everything in the cab is working fine, but nothing on the light unit works. I was driving along one morning and the lights started to flash for a while and then just stopped working if that is any help. Any ideas as to what I can do please?

Water from condensation drops inside the unit. Common problem, check for green corrosion in unit. Adrian Barber from England

Submitted: 15/02/2013 10:03:05 | ID: 90647

Xola Wani, South Africa

Volkswagen Crafter 2008

Hi, my Volkswagen Crafter is fine but I have two major problems. If I’m facing the wind the car drops it`s speed or sometimes it does the same when loaded and pulling a trailer up a hill. Also it`s leaking oil and I cannot discover where the leak is coming from. Any suggestions please?

Submitted: 12/02/2013 10:08:01 | ID: 90477

Richard Swift, Yorkshire

Volkswagen Crafter 2008

I have a Volkswagen Crafter with 60,000 miles. The light front end was damaged which had cracked the oil filter housing. Having fitted the correct part, fitting a new battery and full service part, the van started first time every time for a couple of weeks, The van wasn’t on the road so I would just start it for a couple of minutes to keep the battery topped up. Coming to it recently the van turns over but won’t fire and the service light has come on. I have put more fuel in and checked all connections but still nothing. Can anyone suggest what I should do?

Submitted: 12/02/2013 08:50:57 | ID: 90452