VOLKSWAGEN CARAVELLE questions and answers

VOLKSWAGEN Caravelle

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VOLKSWAGEN CARAVELLE models. Help and advice on everything VOLKSWAGEN CARAVELLE. Feel free to ask and answer as many VOLKSWAGEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VOLKSWAGEN CARAVELLE questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

tandi, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle

My 2.5 Caravellle with a 2L golf engine overheated , changed the top, rings and bearings but still won't star

Submitted: 14/12/2014 21:29:53 | ID: 107907

prince, Nigeria

Volkswagen Caravelle

I have a problem of water coolant and oil mixture within the water tank and radiator region. What could be a probable solution to this problem? Thank you for your response.

Submitted: 08/10/2014 19:46:45 | ID: 104294

Kristian, Cavan

Volkswagen Caravelle

My Caravelle`s abs lights are on, both front and back, but it brakes by itself sometimes or speeds with difficulty. When I drove it a long distance the tyres burst both front and back. What is the problem?

Submitted: 08/10/2014 13:07:08 | ID: 104261

tiisetso, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle

Hi I have a T4 kombi 2003 which just stopped itself. I checked and found that the pump belt was not pulling the pump. I replaced the belt and tensioner but still the kombi doesn't want to start. Please help?

Submitted: 30/09/2014 14:43:19 | ID: 103839

Branden, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle

It could be a timing fire problem

Submitted: 08/08/2014 22:13:04 | ID: 101181

david yeadon, Australia

Volkswagen Caravelle

Hi, my caravelle has the following problems; engine turns over, no fuel, no spark and refuses to run. had the AA out to look at it, sometimes starts when he arrives other times no. Had it at auto electricians he can't find problem either. Is there a relay that can cause this problem? Can you please help? Thanks, David.

Submitted: 07/08/2014 10:57:33 | ID: 101062

Eugene, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle

can i change my t4 caravelle 2.5 tdi engine with a t5 engine. what is needed for the conversion

Submitted: 23/07/2014 13:47:42 | ID: 100205

roger oliva, Philippines

Volkswagen Caravelle

I recently acquired a CARAVELLE TDI 2,5, vibration can be felt in the clutch pedal during idling, and when I shift to first gear, the car is a little sluggish to move forward and creates a lots of vibrations that can be felt by the passengers, and noise of being hard up. During uphill, these problems on low gears are more pronounced. 1. difficulty of the car to move smoothly from idling to first gear 2. during down hill drive, when I stepped at the clutch pedal the second gear disengaged by itself 3. difficulty to gear the car in the reverse. 4. gears 1, 2, 4, and reverse do not have the feel of properly locked when I do the shifting 5. the previous owner said that they replaced the release bearing of the clutch.

Submitted: 20/07/2014 10:07:41 | ID: 100029

Chundra Dauhoo, Swansea

Volkswagen Caravelle

I have a VW Caravelle 1990 with 1900 cc petrol engine. First the car won't start because the petrol flow is inhibited because I had not the vehicle for 8 weeks's holiday abroad. I tried to put in gear and start the vehicle.Now there is engine connection at all. The lights come up but engine noise. Please help. Chundra

Submitted: 06/07/2014 09:48:31 | ID: 99060

Seretse Clement Moche, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle

I own Caravelle T4 2.5tdi Trendline 2003. On the 09 August 2013, first clutch change was done. January - March 2014 the hub for Gear 1 and 2 together with second clutch was changed. Immediately thereafter there was no speed indication, Odometer counter no reaction and fuel alarm goes off while turning. To top it all on the 05 July 2014, while stopping at the robot, the gear 1 and 3 did not want to engage. Please help.

Submitted: 05/07/2014 14:22:38 | ID: 99023

Kevin, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle

Hi guys I have a Vauxhall Caravelle 1999 2.6i exclusive, built in alarm system and vehicle performance was immaculate but suddenly after a few months the vehicle suddenly decided to switch off by itself. Even after starting it, it still switches off by itself and now and then it idles and switches off after a couple of minutes. Could this be the built in immobilizer? Please help a.s.a.p.

Submitted: 01/07/2014 16:48:38 | ID: 98809

Cliff Mabuza, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle

Hi I have a 2005 T5 Caravelle Automatic it struggles to start in the morning in winter but once it starts up just once it starts fine for the rest of the day. You can struggle for ten minutes to start it and once it starts you can turn it off, restart and it will start up immediately. It struggles more if I park it outside over night and less if I park it in the garage. Winter is here again and the problem started again. Last year they replaced the diesel high pressure pump and didn't help. Another thing my engine sounds very loud I bought a new plastic cover that goes over the cylinder head cover but still loud. Please help Cliff South Africa

Submitted: 03/06/2014 20:38:24 | ID: 96834

Sharon KENNY, Lancashire

Volkswagen Caravelle

Issue with oil getting into water we have had a new oil Copland put in and it as been fine for 2 months and all of a sudden the oil is back, taken it back to the garage they have assured me that it is not the head gasket and are now putting a new oil coolant on this will be the 3 rd one in 6 months anybody have any other suggestions , is it possible to have 2 faulty oil coolants

Submitted: 02/06/2014 20:51:50 | ID: 96751

Mr P R Bridges, Gloucestershire

Volkswagen Caravelle

My vehicle is a 2001 2.5 TDi. I have replaced a discharged battery but the alternator light on the dashboard remains on and i believe the answer is a replacement alternator but which one. Can you advise?

Submitted: 27/05/2014 21:11:08 | ID: 96278

kekana, Swaziland

Volkswagen Caravelle

I had replaced the brake pads and add new brake fluid in my caravelle t5 2007 vw. the abs and esp light remain lit-up and the handbrake light flickers after a quick stop . I am confused then on how to deal with these lights. I had checked the sensors for abs and l couldn't find anything wrong.

Submitted: 13/05/2014 20:04:43 | ID: 95475

andrew lelliott, Swansea

Volkswagen Caravelle

How do I change the rear wiper arm on the tailgate?

Submitted: 09/05/2014 14:20:24 | ID: 95296

Stan Hannath, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle

I am unable to release the rear seat to roll it forwards or backwards.It worked fine 2 weeks ago but today will not shift.I am uncertain how the mechanism works.Any suggestions ?

Submitted: 19/04/2014 11:20:31 | ID: 94436

Steve Perry, Neath Port Talbot

Volkswagen Caravelle 1997

I`ve been having issues with the central locking on my Volkswagen Caravelle. When you lock the driver`s door it locks then opens! If you lock the passenger door it stays locked but if you try opening the driver`s door when the car is locked it opens and then goes back to the locked position. The electrics are okay. I have changed over the door lock actuators but the same problem. I have taken off the driver`s door lock assembly but still the same problem. Any ideas? (T4 carravelle)

Submitted: 21/03/2014 14:20:45 | ID: 63187

Vusimuzi Nkuta, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle 1996

Will a T4 2.5 Tdi engine fit on a 1996 Volkswagen Caravelle 2.6?

Submitted: 14/03/2014 11:57:00 | ID: 62786

Joshua Preyser, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle 2000

My mom drives a 2000 Volkswagen Caravelle 2.5tdi. When starting the engine and switching off it makes a rattle-squeak sound. It has done this ever since we bought the car. What is the most likely cause of this noise and is there any reason why it does this? I’m just curious. It doesn’t affect anything technical. It’s just when starting the engine and switching it off that we hear this rattle-squeak sound. Thanks very much. (2.5 tdi)

Submitted: 06/03/2014 16:14:18 | ID: 62600

Cathy Fifield, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle 2000

I have a Volkswagen Kombi 2.6i (2000 model). I replaced the clutch plate/pressure plate/ trust bearing. After I received my Kombi back I experienced some problems. Sometimes it will not go into 1/2 gears, or it feels like it`s locked in gear. Then I have to stop, put gears in neutral, pump the clutch, it feels like the clutch releases, then it goes into gear. This morning after I drove a short distance I wanted to stop and gear down from 4 to 3 but my Kombi won`t go in any of the gears, so I turned it off and after pumping the clutch it goes into 2/3/4 but not in 1st. Sometimes when I am in 1st gear and want to start it up it jumps forward. Please can you advise? (2.6i)

Submitted: 11/02/2014 11:24:00 | ID: 62000

Jack Serite, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle 1984

Could you please help? I am have a 1984 Volkswagen Caravelle Microbus Kombi and the engine was changed to V6 Ford. I like this car and now I need to find out which possible engine can fit because this V6 is heavy for it? Could anyone possibly recommend for the gear box? (Microbus Kombi 1984)

Submitted: 16/01/2014 15:44:15 | ID: 60789

Adam Brookes, Lancashire

Volkswagen Caravelle 2001

I have a 2001 Volkswagen Caravelle 2.5 tdi with noisy tappets. It happens when on the motorway. Any idea how much to get it fixed? (2001 2.5 tdi Caravelle)

I would get the tappets tightened and they should be fine. Joshua Preyser from South Africa

Submitted: 03/01/2014 10:54:26 | ID: 60180

Graham Russell, Lancashire

Volkswagen Caravelle 2003

I have an 03 Volkswagen Caravelle and the wipers front and back work on their own. It’s a bit of a workhorse and done over 200k but still going strong, has a regular service and generally is looked after quite well, but this problem started with the rear wiper and now it’s both. Any advice as it’s starting to drive me mad now?

Submitted: 06/12/2013 09:36:43 | ID: 58840

Stumpy, Herefordshire

Volkswagen Caravelle 2006

I have a Volkswagen Caravelle and a problem wth the electric door on one side. If I use any remote or switch (eg door handle) then the door closes itself until about a foot fom the door pillar, then retracts as if it has encountered an obstruction. I have checked channels and runners and they are clean and clear. There is no sign of any kink in the rubber door surround which contains the "pinch" control wire. The electrical connection seems to be okay, otherwise the door would not attempt to close. It`s a mystery. Does anyone have any suggestions please? (v6 exec auto)

Submitted: 27/09/2013 08:50:58 | ID: 54597

Tord Husjord, Norfolk

Volkswagen Caravelle 1999

Hi. I have a Volkswagen Caravelle which is leaking oil. I am not sure why and how, but I`ve found out that the oil/ engine is leaking when it has been driven for a while and then turned off for a while. When I then try to start it, it`s starting to drip oil. Sometimes when we drive it can suddenly start dripping, but once the engine is cold and we start the car it leaks like 1-2 dl. Does anyone know how much this can cost to repair? Or is it possible I can fix it by myself?

Submitted: 23/09/2013 14:55:21 | ID: 54831

Brian Mcdermid, Hampshire

Volkswagen Caravelle 2012

We use a Volkswagen Caravelle at work but our health and safety manager will not allow us to remove and refitt the middle set of seats due to health and safety concerns. What is a safe way to do this task?

Submitted: 06/09/2013 08:42:40 | ID: 54019

Patrick Cunningham, Warwickshire

Volkswagen Caravelle 2002

My Volkswagen Caravelle’s central locking system has started locking itself when I’m driving along. If I lock the vehicle and then open it using the fob, before I can fully pull the door handle it locks itself again and I have to keep the open button on the fob pressed down, then pull the door handle until the door is open. When I pull the lever inside to open the driver`s door (when the door pin is in the up position) it locks itself. I have to hold the door pin up and then pull the lever. If I leave it idling it locks itself (I have to remember to leave a window open just in case). Vibration also seems to cause it to lock when on the move. The problem seems to stem from the driver`s door and it seems to be getting worse. On the flip side of this if I leave the vehicle overnight, knowing for certain that I have locked it, on many occasions I’ve found it open the following morning. Strange, mysterious, even spooky, but all true and mainly downright annoying. I hope someone has an answer to this problem. Any suggestions please?Thanks. (mpv)

Submitted: 26/07/2013 16:13:18 | ID: 53066

Carrie Ingram, England

Volkswagen Caravelle 1996

This morning after I dropped my daughter at school the central locking in my Volkswagen Caravelle kept locking and unlocking. I thought I had rectified it by turning the ignition off and on again, but it just keeps continuously locking and unlocking. I have now taken the fuse out and it has stopped the battery running down. However the lock on the slidng door won’t lock. I can push it down partially, but it will not lock. I am assuming this needs replacing. Is it easy to change this yourself or is it best to go to a garage? (T4)

The broken sliding door lock is what’s causing all your problems. Fix the lock and the central locking will be good again. Cato Oesterhaug from Norway

Submitted: 02/07/2013 10:58:10 | ID: 64641

Paul Curtice, Hampshire

Volkswagen Caravelle 2007

Hi. My Volkswagen Caravelle’s front screen demister does not seem to blow air onto the screen anymore. It makes loads of noise but air is not directed onto the screen. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong and how I can fix it? Thanks. (2.5 TD)

We have exactly the same problem. There must be a mechanical valve that directs the air to the screen vents which has failed. The fan starts to work very hard, but no air comes through. Sometimes, briefly, it works, then it’s blocked again. Did you manage to sort this problem? Demister Problems from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 26/04/2013 12:09:19 | ID: 93428

Nkonde Lombanya, Zambia

Volkswagen Caravelle 2001

My Volkswagen Caravelle 2.6i Active doesn’t seem to have any power, it stalls on the highway and sometimes jerks. The engine was recently overhauled and serviced and the end exhaust pipe was changed to have a slightly bigger one. What could cause this lack of power? (petrol)

Submitted: 19/04/2013 10:39:55 | ID: 75107

Paul, England

Volkswagen Caravelle 2008

I have a Volkswagen Caravelle Exec 2008. It was running fine until 2010 when the front left wheel started to wheel spin when turning right at T junctions, together with under-steering whilst taking a right turn. My VW garage didn’t find anything wrong but then, driving home one night, the brakes gave out - brake pedal depressed all the way with no resistance. The garage repaired it and advised that the wheel spin issue resulted from the brake fluid leaking onto the braking system. However, I`m still having issues with the front left wheel and the steering feels heavy, especially on the right side. Any ideas please? (2.5TDi)

From what you’ve said, the van has traction control. Brake fluid leaking onto the disc would have contaminated the pads & made the system inoperative, as well as causing the braking failure. I’m amazed that a main dealer could have failed to notice this. I’d advise using a decent independent garage every time. The only way that you’d get wheel spin from a junction, other than in icy or snow covered road conditions, is with bald or otherwise defective tyres, and even then only if you’re very ’heavy footed’ on the accelerator - if the traction control is cutting in, you’re driving too aggressively. If the steering feels heavy, I’d certainly be checking tyre condition & pressure first though John Greenslade from Powys

Submitted: 15/03/2013 12:36:21 | ID: 91640

Kjell Rune Sønsthagen, Norway

Volkswagen Caravelle 1993

I have a problem with my 1993 Volkswagen Caravelle 2.4 diesel. When I`m driving the temperature goes very high. When the car stands still the temperature falls down again. What can the problem be?

Submitted: 21/01/2013 11:31:07 | ID: 67641

James Quigley, Cheshire

Volkswagen Caravelle 2010

I have had my 2010 Volkswagen Caravelle for 2 years now and it’s started to use oil at 1 and half litres per 1,300 miles. I have been told by VW this is normal but I don’t think it is. Can anyone advise me on any engine fault or what it may take to repair? I have just done over 100,000 miles in this one and my old 2005 VW Caravelle didn’t use oil like this one and that had done 280,000 miles +. Thanks for any help

Submitted: 14/01/2013 09:13:01 | ID: 67758

Paul Maredi, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle 2002

My Volkswagen Caravelle 2,5 TDI, 2002 does not want to start. The diesel was completely finished but now I did put in another diesel but it still does not want to start. I suspect that maybe I need to bleed it but I don`t know how and where? Can anyone please help?

Submitted: 04/01/2013 09:02:41 | ID: 65485

Debbie Pienaar, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle 1996

Hi there all. I am looking for the wiring diagram for the Volkswagen Caravelle 2.6 Model 1996 petrol for the computer box. This vechile is being used for a Non Profit Organisation School, which is being used to transport children to and from school, which is now becoming a problem for them. We would really appreciate anybody`s help out there, if possible a.s.a.p. Can anyone help me? Kind Regards.

Submitted: 16/11/2012 11:57:46 | ID: 93032

Cassim Aboo, South Africa

Volkswagen Caravelle 2005

I have a Volkswagen Caravelle 2.5tdi 2005 which is recently struggling to start when cold. The dealer tells me it is the fuel pump but I doubt them. Can anyone offer any help?

My mom had the same problem on our Caravell 2.5tdi 2000 model. It would take some churning to start from cold. In 2010 our mechanic replaced the brushes for the starter motor as it didn’t start one day and it solved the problem. Joshua Preyser from South Africa

Submitted: 01/10/2012 12:13:28 | ID: 81332

Peter Placey, England

Volkswagen Caravelle 1993

Hi, where can I get a centre piece on the steering wheel used for sounding the horn for my Volkswagen Caravelle 1993? Any help would be truly appreciated

Submitted: 17/09/2012 16:26:19 | ID: 84947

Jim Banks, England

Volkswagen Caravelle 2003

My Volkswagen Caravelle broke down while in southern Ireland and I had the turbo reconditioned while we were there {early August}. Now we have a knocking noise from the turbo area but no smoke. Any ideas would be appreciated. Can anyone help? Thankyou.

Submitted: 03/09/2012 14:45:51 | ID: 87710

Thanh Lac, Thailand

Volkswagen Caravelle 2004

How do I retract the extra seats on my Volkswagen Caravelle next to the retracting DVD monitor?

Submitted: 23/08/2012 14:44:56 | ID: 85943