VOLKSWAGEN BORA questions and answers

VOLKSWAGEN Bora

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VOLKSWAGEN BORA models. Help and advice on everything VOLKSWAGEN BORA. Feel free to ask and answer as many VOLKSWAGEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VOLKSWAGEN BORA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Adi, Blackpool

Volkswagen Bora

Hi there i bought a vw bora 1.9 tdi 90 bhp. Since i bought the there is noise coming from frontside passenger Wheel on uneven road surface.. i have already changed wishbone, balljoint, front axel drop links aswell And was quite sure it will go, but its still there, garage people told me that it could be shock mount or something can some one advise please... As i av already spent alot on it .... Adi 07527590005

Submitted: 17/04/2014 19:07:44 | ID: 94375

sue, Blackpool

Volkswagen Bora

my car makes a noise when i brake or in a low gear at first i thought it was brakes grinding but ive had it in two garages and they say discs and brakes are fine and bearings are ok they cant seem to find problem when they put it on ramp it dosnt do it only does it when its low loading

Submitted: 12/04/2014 18:22:04 | ID: 94141

femi, Argyll and Bute

Volkswagen Bora

My gearbox is not selecting

Submitted: 12/04/2014 17:39:51 | ID: 94138

John, Ireland

Volkswagen Bora 2000

I have a diesel Volkswagen Bora 90bhp and in the mornings it’s a bit slow to start. It starts first time but it takes a few seconds and you need to give a bit of a rev. When the car is warm there’s no problem. Can anyone help?

Could be one of two things. Firstly the tandem pumps on the side of the engine fail and they suck air in over night so you vehicle has to prime its self before it will start in the morning. Or the injector seals have given up and this will also give you the same problem. The injector seals are around £40 per set and the tandem pump can be priced from £150 to £230 depending on where you get one from. Its a very common problem with the VWs. Hope this helps. Pete Slater from England

Submitted: 20/03/2014 11:52:45 | ID: 63039

Thuso Dalom Kgaboyarona, Botswana

Volkswagen Bora 1999

My Volkswagen Bora is flashing Oil while driiving and the instrument cluster says Stop. I changed the oil light switch but the problem is still there. I changed the oil and the oil filter, so what might the problem be?

Submitted: 04/03/2014 09:15:07 | ID: 62528

Amr Abouelatta, Egypt

Volkswagen Bora 2001

Sometimes my Volkswagen Bora stalls while moving, especially at low speed. Any help? (1600 cc automatic)

Submitted: 14/02/2014 15:25:29 | ID: 90924

Michael Siwale, Zambia

Volkswagen Bora 2004

I have just changed my front brake pads on my 2004 Volkswagen Bora but the dashboard still reads check brake pads. What could the problem be?

Hi Michael, with the front brake pads the most common cause of the brake check light is incorrectly fitted or damaged sensor/cable/connection. Check the the sensor is tight in its connection, also check for possible cable damage. Hope this helps you. Tom from Ireland

Submitted: 06/02/2014 14:09:45 | ID: 61781

Moamed Orha, England

Volkswagen Bora 2003

What is the quantity of oil used in the gearbox for an automatic 2003 Volkswagen Bora?

Submitted: 30/01/2014 11:24:08 | ID: 61469

Josephine Mcgrath, County Down

Volkswagen Bora 2001

I`ve put new brake pads and discs front and back of my Volkswagen Bora as well as a new caliper and master cylinder but I still have weak brakes. Can anybody please help?

Submitted: 28/01/2014 11:12:45 | ID: 56005

Chris Nicholson, England

Volkswagen Bora 2001

My Volkswagen Bora`s power steering works now and again but not all of the time, but there is plenty of fluid in the reservoir. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 20/01/2014 09:57:03 | ID: 65556

Mohamad Hasan, Egypt

Volkswagen Bora 2000

I have a Volkswagen Bora model 2000. There is a sensor for the trunk in the screen but not the 4 doors. Is this right and can it be modified to instal a sensor for the doors in the screen?

Submitted: 14/01/2014 09:23:46 | ID: 60662

Tsikai Chinembiri, Zimbabwe

Volkswagen Bora 1999

Hi everyone. I bought a second hand Volkswagen Bora recently. The car is difficult to start and only starts sometimes, especially after the engine has cooled down. If I try to drive it the car accelerates without any problem and I travel almost 400km without any problem. My problem is that when the car starts, it does not idle for more than 10 minutes and in most cases it can fail to start for the whole day, but would suddenly start the following day. Can you please assist?

Submitted: 10/01/2014 10:15:47 | ID: 60530

Phil Watkins, Ireland

Volkswagen Bora 1999

Hi. My Volkswagen Bora`s parking lights on the right hand side of the car (both front and back) don`t work. I checked the fuses and everything seems okay. How do I fix this please?

Submitted: 03/01/2014 08:30:27 | ID: 60190

Alan Griffin, Warwickshire

Volkswagen Bora 2000

My Volkswagen Bora’s boot is closed but the dash flashes that it is open and makes a beeping noise. What should I do?

Hi, most likely a faulty boot latch mechanism, which incorporates the switch, it could be a short within the wiring although less likely. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from England

Submitted: 24/12/2013 10:31:19 | ID: 59618

Solen Cresla, South Africa

Volkswagen Bora 2003

Hi. I noticed when I was trying to start my Volkswagen Bora an abs light came on then disappeared after the car started. Plus an alternator workshop light sometimes comes on and sometimes it doesn’t, though I checked my side fuse box and re clicked all of them and now that`s fine. Any suggestions please? (1.9 TDI)

Submitted: 17/12/2013 15:27:38 | ID: 59415

Wayne, England

Volkswagen Bora 2002

I have recently changed my cv on my Volkswagen Bora`s front passenger, since then it has started squeaking,. I have changed the pads and the disk is fine. I`ve had it looked at twice and can`t find the problem. Any suggestions?

Submitted: 10/12/2013 15:16:06 | ID: 59066

Neal King, Jamaica

Volkswagen Bora 2002

Does a 2002 Volkswagen Bora have a rain sensor?

Submitted: 09/12/2013 15:06:42 | ID: 58935

Kabelo Mamabolo, South Africa

Volkswagen Bora 2003

My Volkswagen Bora golf 4 does not idle, it has a high rev count and it will not reach 140 speed. What could be wrong?

Submitted: 05/12/2013 11:47:41 | ID: 58787

Gareth Vaughan, Blaenau Gwent

Volkswagen Bora 2002

Hi. I have a 2002 Volkswagen Bora tdi 6 speed 130. I had the clutch changed in it and solid fly wheel. It was okay when I had it back but now it has started to vibrate and sounds like there’s a bag of bolts in the gearbox in between 1000 revs and 2000 revs. After 2000 revs this noise does go. A friend said this could be the diff but does anyone have any idea what it could be? Thanks. (1.9 tdi)

Submitted: 26/11/2013 14:30:24 | ID: 58661

Ejeh Lucky, England

Volkswagen Bora 2000

My Volkswagen Bora cannot accelerate past 100 k/h. What is causing this?

Submitted: 29/10/2013 11:59:43 | ID: 56906

Karan Anderson, Fife and Kinross Shires

Volkswagen Bora 2005

My Volkswagen Bora`s brake pedal keeps kicking back at me every time I brake. What could this be as I have replaced pads and discs?

Submitted: 25/10/2013 12:13:19 | ID: 56660

Michael Siwale, Zambia

Volkswagen Bora 2004

I recently bought a Volkswagen Bora and now it has a squeaky sound every time I start moving which goes after a while but this disturbs me most of the time. It all started when I ran over some hump I didn’t see. The funny sound is coming from the front right wheel. What could the problem be?

sounds like a wheel bearing’s gone. Wayne Whelan from Ireland

Submitted: 22/10/2013 15:22:25 | ID: 75111

Ihetu Emmanuel, Nigeria

Volkswagen Bora 2001

I have a Volkswagen Bora and ever since I changed the automatic gear shaft it`s refused to select gear. Why is this?

Submitted: 21/10/2013 14:50:37 | ID: 56417

Sem Kanhu, Namibia

Volkswagen Bora 1999

I have serviced my Volkswagen Bora but it stil indicating service? The engine is moving or shaking when it`s on? What should I do? (2.0)

Did you service the car yourself? If you have, take the service light off manually. Keep the ignition off, press and hold button o o, turn ignition switch on, release button o o, press and release minute button ,turn ignition off. You did not say if your car is petrol or diesel. If your car is petrol it could be an ignition pack, needs replacing James McKernon from County Antrim

Submitted: 10/10/2013 16:25:49 | ID: 56164

Madaline Downey, County Down

Volkswagen Bora 2001

The car light on the dash of my Volkswagen Bora keeps flashing. The ecu unit is okay and I`ve replaced the ignition barrel, but the light keeps flashing and the car won`t start. Any suggestions please?

My Bora did the same and every time it flashed I’d stop the car immediately and pull off the battery cables wait then put them back on, what a hassle! Well being short of cash for a while (people will not recommend this) I fuelled up on cheap petrol. The light has not come on in three months! This probably hasn’t helped, but is just my experience. Colleen Mason from Australia

Submitted: 23/08/2013 10:12:44 | ID: 53473

Olatunde Ogundipe, Nigeria

Volkswagen Bora 2003

My Volkswagen Bora 2003 model is overheating. The fans are working and coolant is not leaking.The garage mechanic said it`s the gasket that`s not returning water and it`s failing. Please can anyone tell me what the cause could be? (5 speed, manual transmission)

Submitted: 05/04/2013 10:45:39 | ID: 92667

Julie, Australia

Volkswagen Bora 2002

Hi. I have just bought my Volkswagen Bora secondhand. When I open the driver`s door to get in there is a noise of something adjusting. I hear this same noise about three times when I put it in reverse and the same again when I put it back to drive. There are no electronics for mirrors or seats. Does anyone have any idea of what it might be trying to adjust please?

Submitted: 04/04/2013 12:31:08 | ID: 92619

Pearse McGarry, County Londonderry

Volkswagen Bora 2002

My Volkswagen Bora has developed a knocking noise from the engine and sometimes there is a slight miss from the engine and it loses power. I would very much appreciate input as my mechanic doesn`t seem to know what the problem is. Any ideas?

Not sure; did your mechanic check out the fly wheel? James McKernon from County Antrim

Submitted: 04/04/2013 09:46:21 | ID: 92470

Craig Edwards, Blaenau Gwent

Volkswagen Bora 2000

My 2000 Volkswagen Bora tdi 115 SE is missing or losing power. I had the air flow checked which was fine, but trying to build up speed the car just judders. If anyone can help please?

Submitted: 12/02/2013 16:33:53 | ID: 67577

Nick Foxall, Staffordshire

Volkswagen Bora 2005

My Volkswagen Bora`s doors lock automatically when the doors have been unlocked and opened. Also when the lights are on the warning doesn`t sound when the door is opened. Can anyone tell me why? (2.0 petrol)

My Volkswagen Bora doors lock automatically when the doors have been unlocked and opened. Anonymous from

The mirco switch behind the driver side door panel is broken. It’s fairly easy to change and shouldn’t cost too much from a VAG parts specialist in your area. Try to avoid VW dealers as they are expensive Adrian from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 12/02/2013 08:46:44 | ID: 67220

Arthur Smith, Merthyr Tydfil

Volkswagen Bora 2000

How do I turn off the engine check light on my Volkswagen Bora? I’ve tried holding down the trip button while turning the ignition on and off, then turning the clock button but had no success. The car is a 1.6 petrol VW Bora year 2000. Any ideas? (1.6 petrol)

Sorry, I lost the page last time. If it is the service light: ignition off, press and hold button o o, turn ignition on, do not start, release button o o, press and release minute button, turn ignition off. Hope it works for you James McKernon from County Antrim

Thanks James, it turned out to be the engine fault light and not the service light, VW dealer wants £80+vat to check it for me, my pension won’t stretch that far so I’ve got to look for a VW mechanic who moonlights Arthur from Merthyr Tydfil

Firstly, is your car running alright? If not, and it sounds like it is off a cylinder; it could be a coil ignition pack. The ignition packs push down on top of the plugs and are easy to fit; you can get them on ebay for about twenty pounds each. If the car is fine I would disconnect the battery for around fifteen minutes, which should turn the light off James McKernon from County Antrim

Thanks again James, I had the car serviced just before Christmas and had two pencil coils changed, so the car is going well. Spending time trying to sort out a water leak in the drivers footwell at the moment, a couple of years back I changed the window regulator and probably haven’t got a good seal on the bottem of the carrier, just waiting for a change from this bitter wind so I can carry on with the job. Thanks again Arthur Smith from Merthyr Tydfil

I can help you with the leak in the foot well, I had it on mine and its a simple fix if your mechanically minded! Basically open the bonnet, and take the plastic cill off that sits directly below the windscreen (may need to take wiper arms off first....). As your looking at the car head on, on the far left under the plastic cill is an electric box (can’t for the life of me remember what it’s called) but that’s where your problem is.... All I did was unscrew it, clean the underneath and the metal on the car where it came from, CAKED it in high modular (bathroom) silicone sealant and screwed it back down and then caked the area around it with more just for good measure. Stopped the leak for me! Jon Turner from England

Thanks Jon, I’ll give it a try Arthur Smith from Merthyr Tydfil

Submitted: 07/02/2013 15:24:01 | ID: 90294

Adegbile Oniyinde, Nigeria

Volkswagen Bora 2000

My Volkswagen Bora 2000 model has broken down. Our local engineers / mechanics are all advising me to get a 4 plug engine as a replacement. I guess it`s cos they find a V5 engine hard to fix. My question is, will the 4 plugs engine work perfectly with the V5 gear and brain box and will it disturb the wiring system too? (manual 5 plugs)

Submitted: 04/02/2013 16:34:38 | ID: 90119

Adegbile Oniyinde, Nigeria

Volkswagen Bora 2000

My 2000 Volkswagen Bora`s engine needs replacing. I want to know if a VW Golf 4 engine or an Audi A4 engine (all 4 plugs) would work perfectly with my VW Bora? I was told that I will definitely need to change the gear and the brain box too. Please can anyone help me out? Thanks. (v5 engine)

Submitted: 04/02/2013 14:16:39 | ID: 90157

Andrew Stevenson, Ayrshire

Volkswagen Bora 2001

Sometimes when switching on my Volkswagen Bora`s engine a yellow triangle shows on the dashboard, not on normal start up warnings. When this happens my clock resets to 0. It only seems to come on when it`s icy and I can`t find anything in the books. Can anyone tell me what this means please? (1.9 tdi sport 4 door diesel)

Sounds a lot like you need a new battery. OR most likely a loose battery cable; check battery terminals are tight, check the earth cable Jasen Betts from New Zealand

Submitted: 25/01/2013 08:25:09 | ID: 89536

Arvin, Australia

Volkswagen Bora 2004

I have a Volkswagen Bora 2004 v5 engine, AQN engine code. I have a problem with my brake lights, all of them are not working. I`ve checked the fuse and relay and all are okay. There is no supply going to the tail lamp connector. Can anyone tell me how to check whether the brake lamp switch is working or not? Thanks.

You need a new brake light switch mate; it’s under the the brake pedal :-) James from Scotland Anonymous from

There is a switch in under the brake pedal, try replacing it or a bit of WD40 – Gordon Sharp from County Londonderry

Submitted: 18/01/2013 14:17:32 | ID: 67999

Ruth Anima mpare, Ghana

Volkswagen Bora 2009

I bought a new central locking for my Volkswagen Bora 1.6 litre 2009 model, but only the driver`s side mirror works and all the buttons are not functioning. What should I do? (1.6)

Submitted: 15/01/2013 10:04:01 | ID: 67862

Jo Waller, Norfolk

Volkswagen Bora 2001

I’ve got a badly blowing exhaust on my Volkswagen Bora. I have had the back box replaced a month ago and now the middle bit is blowing, Could this be the reason the emissions warning light has come on?

Submitted: 10/01/2013 09:46:23 | ID: 67658

David Carter, Cornwall

Volkswagen Bora 1999

I have been advised to change all the air pipes on the turbo system of my Volkswagen Bora, because they are starting to split. How many pipes are there to change? (1.9 tdi sport)

Submitted: 08/01/2013 11:37:55 | ID: 67476

Rob Schouppe, England

Volkswagen Bora 2000

Hi. Any idea how to turn off the traffic news TP on my Volkswagen Bora? I accidentally put it on and can’t work out how to turn it off, even with the instruction manual? Thanks. (4 motion)

Happened to me a long time ago, not sure but try holding top button down until it beeps Nick Foxall from Staffordshire

Submitted: 08/01/2013 09:28:54 | ID: 67287

Adam Tindall, Northamptonshire

Volkswagen Bora 2003

I have a Volkswagen Bora tdi1 9 on a 03 plate. It won’t start. I`ve had a new battery, starter motor and 109 relay changed but still no life. All lights that should come on do, it rolls in fifth so the engine`s okay. Please can anyone help?

Maybe not engine related but immobiliser? Have you got a transponder key? If so try using basic key Arron James from Hampshire

Submitted: 07/01/2013 14:36:15 | ID: 67142