VAUXHALL VECTRA ESTATE questions and answers

VAUXHALL Vectra Estate

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL VECTRA ESTATE models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL VECTRA ESTATE. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL VECTRA ESTATE questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Pat Jones, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2008

How do you change the reverse light bulb on my Vauxhall Vectra Estate as it is in the tailgate? Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 10/03/2014 11:55:02 | ID: 62680

Paul Simmons, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2004

For over 18 months I have had a loud banging noise coming from the off-side of my Vauxhall Vectra Estate. Sometimes it sounds like it`s from the front and sometimes from the rear, like metal on metal, as if the bodywork is loose from the sub-chassis. It happens over rough surfaces and also when turning - we have a kerb lip into our side street which we have to mount as the road entry is not flat, also we have to go over it at an angle. At first it was thought to be the exhaust banging somewhere, but new mountings and even a new complete exhaust didn’t cure the banging. It comes and goes and seems to be more prevalent in damp or rainy weather. The front springs were replaced after the offside one just gave up the ghost overnight on my drive. It has passed the MOT twice since the bangs started and various mechanics are baffled where it`s coming from as all bolts are tight. The car has done just 42,000 miles from new (I bought it new in December 2004). Any ideas please? (2.2 Petrol)

Submitted: 07/03/2014 09:08:31 | ID: 62634

Shawn, England

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2001

I have an 01 Vauxhall Vectra Estate which recently started sputtering upon acceleration. I replaced the fuel filter and it improved slightly, but didn’t fix the problem. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 03/03/2014 11:11:09 | ID: 62275

Carol McNie, Westmoorland

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2004

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate has no dashboard lights, just an annoying ping. Prior to this happening INSP display appeared. Can anyone explain what is wrong please?

Submitted: 06/02/2014 11:15:28 | ID: 61753

Jim Parsons, London

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2008

When I lock my Vauxhall Vectra Estate the alarm sounds after 10 minutes. The doors are closed and vents are closed. What could it be please? Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 28/01/2014 10:58:33 | ID: 61344

Brian Bishop, Sussex

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2000

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate`s engine cuts out when I remove my foot from the throttle pedal and at slow speed. Why would it do this please?

Submitted: 21/01/2014 11:21:20 | ID: 61216

Gene Lavocah, Sussex

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2004

Please can anyone tell me how to take out the electric window rocker switch on my Vauxhall Vectra Estate? I have been told the contacts need cleaning, driver`s door, but there are no screws apart from the two at the bottom of the door?

Basically, you just need to pry it out with either a guitar pick or a flathead screwdriver (but put some masking tape on the tip so you don’t scratch anything). Another way is to access it from under the stick once you’ve lifted the leather mask up. I removed my switches like that. Good luck! Nikola Vidic from Croatia (Hrvatska)

Submitted: 20/01/2014 10:37:25 | ID: 58901

Donna Beresford, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2008

Would a turbo from an 07 plate Vauxhall Vectra Estate fit an 08 plate car, same make and model?

Submitted: 13/01/2014 10:54:22 | ID: 60619

Paul Lanceley, Denbighshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2007

I`m thinking about remapping my car. Does anybody know any reputable firms that I can trust in the Denbighshire area? It’s a Vauxhall Vectra Estate Sri.

MW performane in Saltney near Chester, Demon Tweeks in Wrexham or www.mybluefin.co.uk for handheld unit to DIY it! Dale from Flintshire

Submitted: 13/01/2014 10:49:39 | ID: 59634

Danny Smith, England

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2007

My 1.9 Vauxhall Vectra Estate revved into red even when I took the key out and smoke poured out of the exhaust everywhere. Now it won’t start. It gets very close to start and runs off easy start. Any clues?

Hi, the only way to stop them is to stall them in gear quickly. Your turbo has failed and leaked engine oil internally which fuels the engine uncontrolled. Normally engine damage results hence the non start :( Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham.

Submitted: 10/01/2014 12:13:30 | ID: 60603

Tom Hilditch, England

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2006

I`ve had a problem with my Vauxhall Vectra Estate which has been smoking badly from underneath. It smells a bit like paraffin and comes and goes. It can drive great for a few days, but today the car just filled with smoke and would not switch off and was revving high so I had to put it in gear and stall the car. Any ideas? (Diesel)

Sounds a lot like what I used to experience. It has to be your Catalytic Converter that’s faulty. Best to get this checked by local garage and replace. Don’t let the garage keep the one taken off. They sell for around £70.00 depending on rates at present. Rauf Iqbal from Yorkshire

Submitted: 16/12/2013 12:34:06 | ID: 59189

Darren Ware, England

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2007

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate 1.9 diesel has stopped twice in the last 2 weeks, the power just dies. It starts up immediately and then runs fine, no warning lights are on. What could it be? (J.)

Hi, is it a 150 bhp? If so it can be be your high pressure fuel rail Mohammed M from England

Submitted: 12/12/2013 15:28:25 | ID: 59119

Gus Mccorquodale, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2002

The crankshaft pully collapsed on my Vauxhall Vectra Estate and after getting it fixed it is in limp mode when I reach about 70 the car with spanner light comes on and my speed is limited. When I turn the car off then on again the light is off, but the car is still in limp mode. The garage says no faults are showing on diagnostics. Please can anybody help? (2.0 dti)

Check the crankshaft sensor. Does your Vectra produce a bit more smoke than usual? If so, then it’s 100% the crankshaft sensor. It’s either porly reconnected or needs cleaning. Nikola Vidic from Croatia (Hrvatska)

Submitted: 12/12/2013 14:48:14 | ID: 59099

Paul Hewitt, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2005

I have a Vauxhall Vectra Estate and when the engine is on the lights flicker. Can you help?

Submitted: 10/12/2013 12:42:47 | ID: 59036

Andrew Dudbridge, England

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 20078

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate loses power when I accelerate. What should I do?

Submitted: 06/12/2013 12:01:54 | ID: 64178

Bob Carrington, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2007

How do I remove the central air vents from my 2007 Vauxhall Vectra Estate? (elite)

Butcher’s knife. Nothing else does the job adequately. Nikola Vidic from Croatia (Hrvatska)

Submitted: 26/11/2013 14:25:27 | ID: 91624

Beth Paton, Renfrewshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2005

After buying my Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2 the battery needed to be replaced almost as soon as I had got the car home. Two years down the line and the new battery is now flat most mornings, especially in the rain. I am needing to get my car jump started almost every day, sometimes twice a day. I feel 2 batteries in as many years shows that there is something draining it but I`ve no idea what. I cannot see any internal lights on but as I say I feel there must be something draining the battery. Any ideas?

Submitted: 15/11/2013 09:39:27 | ID: 72643

Raja Khan, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2008

Hi, I have a problem with my Vauxhall Vectra Estate smoking. What do I need to do? Thanks.

Submitted: 04/11/2013 14:29:28 | ID: 66051

Mark Wragg, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 1997

Hello. I have a Vauxhall Vectra Estate b 1.8 auto and sometimes in the morning when I go to put it in gear a symbol comes up on the dash which looks like a round sprocket with an exclamation mark in it. The car will not pull until I turn the engine off and the light goes out. I`ve checked the oil in the box and it`s fine. Has anyone got any ideas?

Submitted: 21/10/2013 16:37:20 | ID: 56521

Alex Bryden, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2005

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate`s coolant light came on so II topped it up but it`s still on. Can anyone tell my why or does anyone have any ideas?

Submitted: 24/09/2013 09:48:18 | ID: 54890

Matthew Bailey, England

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2005

I have a Vauxhall Vectra Estate and the battery light comes on after 3 minutes of driving. It starts okay, battery on 11.6v and not charging. I want to find out whether the alternator is electronically controlled by the ecu before I start changing the alternator? Thanks. (1.9 cdti)

Submitted: 27/08/2013 15:04:38 | ID: 92856

Phil Tanner, England

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2008

Hi, I have a 58 plate Vauxhall Vectra Estate 1.9 CDTI which has done 98,000 miles. It’s just had a major service but today while driving it made a very loud bang from under the bonnet, but left no evidence of damage and no fluids leaking. The car starts and turns over fine and goes into gear, but when trying to drive off it just kangaroo jumps down the road with very little power. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly received, can anyone help please? (1.9 cdti)

Check air hoses to intercooler, the bang you heard could have been a pipe blowing off due to air pressure. Car will definitely kangeroo and lose power with an air leak Tom Hemingbrough from England

Submitted: 04/06/2013 09:03:00 | ID: 59377

Dennis Vines, Surrey

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2008

After I have filled my Vauxhall Vectra Estate`s windscreen washer bottle up, the two floor wells of my car on the near side become very wet and it’s obvious the level of the water in the bottle goes way down. Both the front and rear windscreen wash still work though, which suggests the hoses are okay. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 23/04/2013 09:54:51 | ID: 90288

Michael Huntington, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2008

My Vauxhall Vectra 58 diesel Estate is making a whining noise when you move through the lower gears. It sounds like a belt winding but, not knowing much about cars and having only just bought it, if there`s something wrong with it the car is still under warranty. Any suggestions please?

Submitted: 05/04/2013 10:50:35 | ID: 92668

Wayne Palmer, Leicestershire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2007

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate has no interior lights on the sun visor, door open or map lights but the lights in the glove box and boot space work. Also safeguard come on when the key is put in. Any ideas? Thanks. (2.2 design)

I had exactly the same problem on my 2006 Design Estate. I ended up getting the interior lights wired to the glove compartment light... was some problem with the control unit... safeguard warning still comes on. I think it’s because the rear heater on window is open circuit Nigel Cundill from England

Submitted: 05/04/2013 09:21:17 | ID: 90553

Jim McCutcheon, Hertfordshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2000

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate`s radio has displayed "SAFE" and also the date and time display and just says 0.00 7.0c 01 01 1997 and does not change. What can I do?

Submitted: 21/03/2013 11:22:26 | ID: 92097

George Murphy, Ayrshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2005

Hi. I have a 2005 Vauxhall Vectra Estate but I`m getting no hot air from the blower. The thermostat and matrix are okay, they`ve been checked and there are no air bubbles either. Next stage is gasket on the head. Am I missing something before it goes to the garage and costs me loads?

I don’t understand how you’d come to the conclusion that this may be a head gasket fault: Are the pipes to & from the heater matrix hot? John Greenslade from Powys

Submitted: 18/03/2013 15:14:49 | ID: 90594

Mo Pan, England

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2007

I am travelling abroad and wanted to change beam lights. Could you please tell me how to do it? Manual book says I need to put a fuse on 37 space at fusebox but 37 doesn’t have any connection inside to grab fuse.

Submitted: 12/03/2013 08:41:10 | ID: 90056

Mary Smith, Buckinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2003

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate`s reversing sensor does not work. The fuse in the boot has been checked and is okay but what should I do now? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you. (Elegance)

Submitted: 01/03/2013 11:44:01 | ID: 90364

Dave Harvey, England

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2005

On switching on my Vauxhall Vectra Estate`s ignition sometimes the dash warning lights are on, sometimes not. When they are not on there is no rev counter, fuel gauge, temperature gauge or speedo. If the lights are on everything works but then the spanner light is on sometimes, sometimes not. On occasion the low fuel light flashes, even with half a tank of fuel. The car starts and runs okay whatever the dash lights do. Any suggestions? (2.2 design auto petrol)

Submitted: 28/02/2013 10:55:12 | ID: 65368

Ian Bowman, Durham

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2005

I have a Vauxhall Vectra Estate 1905 CC diesel and it does not respond to throttle under 2000 rpm. Over 2000 rpm it`s fine. You have to drive it hard climbing hills, it`s so slow if under 2000 rpm. It`s been on umpteen diagnostics with no faults showing. Can anyone pin point the problem for me?

Check all the little pieces of vacuum pipes for splits and sucking air, even the bit off the turbo gate Des Nicholls from Staffordshire

Egr valve and boost pressure sensor next to it on the inlet manifold need cleaning. Clean with egr cleaner Jonathan from Yorkshire

Submitted: 07/02/2013 10:09:31 | ID: 65160

Keith Brand, England

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2008

The connections in the fuse box in the luggage compartment of my Vauxhall Vectra Estate came loose, causing all electrical supply to the dashboard to fail. Is this a problem with other Vectra Estates?

Submitted: 29/01/2013 10:04:10 | ID: 89656

James Kellock, Aberdeenshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2005

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate was not used over Christmas and New Year and I cannot get into it now using the remote (or the spare) or the key. It seems to be dead. The (car) battery was changed a few months ago because if the car was left for a few days it wouldn’t start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What should I do? (1.8i Breeze)

Submitted: 08/01/2013 14:24:30 | ID: 67539

Alan Cottis, Cornwall

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2005

I’ve just noticed today a new symbol on my Vauxhall Vectra Estate`s dashboard. It’s the symbol that tells me that a door is open but this symbol is just to the right of the open door, it looks like a squiggle. What does it mean? (1800 cc club)

Submitted: 07/01/2013 12:08:25 | ID: 67082

Daniel Hughes, England

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2007

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Vectra Estate and am having trouble with it starting. When I go to start it it takes up to ten seconds to start. Had new glow plugs, diesel filter, oil filter, oil change, cam belt and water pump. I have had the battery tested and that’s fine too. It turns over fine but doesn’t like to start straight away, this only happens if it’s been standing for a few days or a few hours. If I just nip into a shop then go to start it again it’s fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi. I’m having the same problem with my car. It’s a 05 plate vector estate. If you’ve managed to get yours spurted please can you tell me what the problem was. I’ve had an auto electrician out today and he’s said it’s to do with one of the onboard computer. Only thing to do is have it hooked up to a diagnostic machine and checked Robert from Yorkshire

Hi. I have a 56 Vectra cdti estate and had problems starting it. Gradually problem got worse over time. Changed battery, glow plugs, fuel filter and even had DPF filter; removed and stage 1 engine tune (performance & efficiency improved considerably after this) but still no joy starting. Decided to change starter motor although everyone I spoke to said it wouldn’t make a bit of difference! It did and has not spluttered or struggled to start since Matt Gould from Gloucestershire

Hi, it seems like you need to change your glow plug relay which is next to the battery Mohammed M from England

Submitted: 03/01/2013 16:29:09 | ID: 66790

Mike Payne, Somerset

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2001

I`ve run out of oil and my Vauxhall Vectra Estate has lost power and is making a horrible noise. I think the tappets have gone plus the engine maintenance light is on constantly. Can anyone please help me?

Submitted: 21/12/2012 10:56:28 | ID: 65958

Alexander Beattie, Renfrewshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2006

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate`s dpf fault warning light is coming on. I tried a long run, the light went out but came back on again. The garage says I need to spend £1000 pounds any it. Any other answers? (1.9tdi)

Hi, I have a 1.9 cdti 56 plate. Had DPF removed and engine management re written and stage 1 tune for around £300. Car runs better and more economical now Matt Gould from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 15/11/2012 14:29:38 | ID: 93011

Mick Cook, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2000

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate cuts out when stopping and slowing down. I`ve just had a new idle air control valve but it`s still doing the same. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 15/11/2012 10:42:47 | ID: 92923

Jan Hunter, Durham

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2004

I have a water leak in the passenger and rear footwell of my Vauxhall Vectra Estate. Can anyone help me and tell me where all of the drains are located and how to get behind the wheel arch? Thank you. (1.8i vvt)

I had exactly the same thing. There are rubber drains that get clogged up that are located near the bottom of the windscreen. If you open the bonnet and look towards the windscreen on the passenger side you will see a plastic grill. Remove the large rubber seal and if you look inside you will see the pollen filter. The rubber drain is just the the side if it. All I did was get a metal coat hangar bent in two and used it to push the crap through the seal then poured some water down to make sure it was running. The drivers side is a bit more tricky to locate but basically the same place. Once you’ve done the passenger side you’ll know what your looking for. I know it seems weird that the water is in the rear footwell but that must be where it runs through the car to. Good luck Pete Inglis from Renfrewshire

Submitted: 01/11/2012 09:11:24 | ID: 89389

Gary, Bedfordshire

Vauxhall Vectra Estate 2001

Hi, my Vauxhall Vectra Estate 1.8 petrol is getting worse on cold starts ie, revs go up and down in neutral, not constant as before and jumping when pulling away. This is only on choke. Can anyone help please?

Hi Gary, I’ve experienced similar problems as you. I used to buy petrol from supermarkets, and was advised by a mechanic not to. I now only buy Shell, BP, Esso etc. NO problem since! I hope it will be successful for you Tim Bingham from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 12/10/2012 12:04:49 | ID: 61185