VAUXHALL VECTRA questions and answers: Page 13

VAUXHALL Vectra

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL VECTRA models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL VECTRA. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL VECTRA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Keith, Angus (Forfarshire)

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

On my Vauxhall Vectra, the traction control cuts in when I do over 60mph. I was told that my abs sensor is not reading the abs ring because the teeth are broken/cracked. Can I just replace the cv joint ring or do I have to replace the whole cv joint? Thanks. (2.2 ls)

Submitted: 09/03/2012 15:42:25 | ID: 83175

Mike, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My friend has a 2-litre petrol sri, 01 plate. This day he was out driving and pressed his clutch to floor and put it in gear. When he let his foot off it didn’t move... What’s wrong?

I am assuming the clutch pedal stayed down. If this is correct it happened to me on my car. I found out it was due to very low brake fluid as the clutch and brakes are connected. Check to make sure your brake pipes are not leaking and top up your brake reservoir. The clutch may still stay down until it has been bled. Hope this helps Richard from England

Submitted: 09/03/2012 09:41:47 | ID: 83129

Michael Nunn, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I cannot select gears with engine running. I am guessing it will be a clutch problem. How hard is it to replace a clutch and is there anything else it could possibly be? (Elegance 2.0 DTI)

Could be your thrush bearing but best replace clutch while your there Ian Sallis from Huntingdonshire

Submitted: 08/03/2012 10:59:33 | ID: 83085

Katie Pelling, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

Does my Vauxhall Vectra cdti 56 plate have a timing belt or chain?

If it’s the Vauxhall engine then it’s a chain - if not it’s a belt Mark Ward from Yorkshire

Submitted: 08/03/2012 08:00:39 | ID: 76284

Sameh Moustafa, Sweden

Vauxhall Vectra 1997

My car is an Opel Vectra B model 1997 Gl 5d 1.6 and now it getting me mad because it has some troubles with engine check lamp that I asked about it before so I made a paper clip diagnose on it and it gave me 2 codes. First is 0110 and it refers to Intake Air Temperature Sensor (ATS) and the other code is 115 and it refers to Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. So I got both changed but the problem now the car don’t want to start at all. I tried many times to check everything but it looks like every thing is okay. When I start the car the engine roll and you hear it sound normal but it never fires up. I try over and over and charge the battery again and again but no respond. I changed the ignition wires and the main ignition unite but nothing happened all still the same. I put back old sensors and old ignition unite nothing happened too still turning but never fires up. Before I change anything the car didn’t start in the morning and it looks like it stopped forever so I started to change stuff and make paper clip test but nothing changed. So tell me, where should I search please? The car have petrol oil and cooling fluid, most of sensors I checked them clips and cleaned them with cleaning spray but still won’t fire up. It happened before but one of my friends dragged me and I started on the second gear then it worked till it stopped that morning 10 days ago and now nothing help. Any ideas? Tell me where to check or where to start my research in my car ..... I appreciate any help from you all out there, Sameh. (Opel Vectra B model 1997 Gl 5d 1.6)

The best advice that I can give is to go to both these sites: www.vvon.co.uk www.vectra-c.com You may need to register but they are both free and packed with info and helpful with answers to questions. Best of luck Colm O’Kane from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 05/03/2012 17:45:56 | ID: 82280

Paul Mercer, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Hi, hope someone can help me??? My 2004 sri 2.2 petrol Vectra one morning would not start? There was just a clicking sound from engine? I have changed the starter motor, put a new earth lead from battery to starter and put a new battery on but still wont even turn over? Just clicks away??? Could it be cam belt??? Pleas help me!

Hi Paul. I have excatly the same problem! I have a Corsa 1600 sport 2005 model. Mine does this every two months or so and then goes back to normal, while it doesn’t start, my windows go crazy (open and closed) and the radio changes stations as if its possesed! I have taken it in today to an electrical car place and was wondering if you have found any answers yet to your problem? Please e-mail me at lstephens [at ]tentersa [dot] com. Many thanks Leonora Stephens from South Africa

Submitted: 05/03/2012 17:26:39 | ID: 82225

Hayley Hudson, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I have a 53 plate Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 dti sri. Last Sunday I came to unlock it and nothing happened so I had to unlock it by key, which set the alarm off. I got a new battery for my key fob and all seemed to be OK until last night when the same happened again. Is it a problem with my central locking or not. Can someone help please? xx

Hi, if the battery was out of the key for too long, the key will need rest with the car. It tells you how in user manual. Hope this helps Chris from Cambridgeshire

The contacts in the battery holder which are soldered ot the little circuit board in the key become detached / the solder joints crack at the circuit board. Usually wedging a small piece of paper on top of the battery (to push it and the battery holder against the circuit board) will sort it Paul Marchant from England

I have a 2 ltr petrol turbo Vectra 2004. I had the problem where I could lock the car with the key fob, but it wouldn’t unlock the same way I had to do as you did, unlock the car with the key setting the alarm off. After weeks of investigating this problem I came across an internet problem solver who suggested a squirt of WD40 in the ignition barrel. I did this and everything has been fine since. I also treated the door lock to a squirt as well, so I would try this remedy. Hope it works for you. Best of luck. Philip Frost from Somerset

Submitted: 05/03/2012 17:25:01 | ID: 82296

Michelle Manley, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I had diag done on the car and needed a new maf. I’ve done that but when I drove the car after, it runs fine for 5-10 mins then is sluggish and won’t pick up much power. My friend thinks it’s the vac solenoid - could that be it? Please help. (2.2 Elite dti)

Submitted: 29/02/2012 11:03:37 | ID: 81201

Ian Blick, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Hi, I got a new tyre fitted at my local breakers yard in June 2011. After a couple of months I noticed that my gearbox started to whine. I am now getting a loud whining noise from the gearbox or diff - would this be bearings knackered?

Most likely gearbox bearings, assuming it’s road-speed related (not engine RPM related). I think the tyre swap is neither here nor there. It’s plausible that it m-i-g-h-t be a wheel bearing, but if the noise is the same regardless of whether you’re cornering left or right or driving straight ahead, I’d suspect it’s gearbox Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 27/02/2012 16:55:07 | ID: 81114

Matt, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

My Vauxhall Vectra has a mobile phone dock in the central console which is linked to the radio. Unfortunately I do not have a phone which fits it and would like one to fit my iPhone. Can anyone help me with where to get such a docking system to link to my radio for iPhone?

Submitted: 27/02/2012 15:39:23 | ID: 81018

Jonny Luff, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Every now again my power steering goes hard for about 2 seconds, then goes easy. Anyone know what it could be? On my Vectra C 2003.

I would change the power steering fluid first. Probably congealed, then see what happens otherwise I will probably need a new rack old oil, could of contaminated the rack seals Vectra c man from Essex

Submitted: 24/02/2012 11:13:54 | ID: 79962

John Savoury, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1999

Vectra 1.8 ls engine revs between 1000 and 2000 when stood and at low speeds, can run like this for days and then runs normally for a few weeks before happening again. Any ideas, thanks.

Try and clean the maf sensor with carb cleaner and with anything else Choukri Kayal from France

Submitted: 23/02/2012 14:32:43 | ID: 80023

Wayne McCarthy, Blaenau Gwent

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Hi there, I have no pressure in the clutch and it now does not work. When I start the engine and put the clutch in it makes a noise. I was told that they’re hydraulic and the cylinder has gone. It’s a 2002 Vectra, could anyone please tell how much it would cost to have it fixed? Thanks.

It’s your concentric slave cylinder that controls your clutch pedal and it is hydrolic. It gets a fluid feed from your brake fluid reservoir. Unfortunatly it’s a gearbox out to fix and you should change the clutch while you’re at it as it may be contaminated with brake fluid and if your car is a diesel you should also change the duel mass flywheel. It’s an expensive job at least £600 in a local garage or £1,200 at Vauxhall Ian Darling from Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Why don’t you change the slave cylinder first and see the result. And it is not that hard, you can do it yourself Choukri Kayal from France

Submitted: 23/02/2012 14:07:18 | ID: 79991

Keith Richards, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

Please could someone help? My 1998 Vectra, 2-litre dti starts OK but is very smoky. As soon as I drive off the smoke clears but the engine management light comes on and full power is not there. What could be the problem?

You have black smoke and loss of power, and the engine consume lot of diesel, then it is the EGR, try first to clean it with spray bottle (carb cleaner) it might solve the problem, if not then you have to change the EGR Choukri Kayal from France

Map sensor, mine did the same, drove me nuts... computer will bring this up Jason from County Down

Submitted: 21/02/2012 15:31:22 | ID: 79910

Lee Steerment, Norfolk

Vauxhall Vectra 1999

I recently bought a Vauxhall Vectra and when I bought it and did all my checks all seemed to be in good working order. But over the past couple of days I’ve noticed my steering wheel keeps clicking and locking while I’m driving, which is obviously dangerous. What could this possibly be and will it be expensive? Thanks.

Hi, my car has just started doing exactly the same thing. What did it turn out to be and was it expensive? Jason Tucker from Leicestershire

Submitted: 20/02/2012 11:03:32 | ID: 79039

Nigel Daley, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1989

How do you flush the cooling system on a 1989 Vauxhall Vectra? Is there a drain plug? Thank you.

Turn anti clockwise drain plug underneath the radiator Dip Bagi from Mauritius

Submitted: 17/02/2012 15:09:47 | ID: 78842

Matt Farrier, Bridgend

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

My mass flow sensor keeps getting blocked with small pieces of metal (they are very small flexible pieces of metal NOT solid). Garage has cleaned them out and the car drove really good, but after driving the car for about 30 mins the problem returned, took it back to the garage and they did the same and the car ran very good again, but it has come back. They are not sure where the metal fragments are coming from and have suggested we keep removing the pieces and hope they clear out of the system this way. Anyone have any idea where they may be coming from and I might be able to educate the garage and get it resolved?

It might be the mesh inside the oil breath box as mine had gone solid and was fraing and was appearing in the top of the rocker cover. Hope this might help Karl Lockett from England

Submitted: 17/02/2012 10:42:48 | ID: 78852

Vicky Ciliberto, Wiltshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

My husband bought a car and wanted the CD player in the car. The dealer said he would put one in. After driving away my husband realised that it was not the proper CD player for the Vauxhall. My husband bought one himself and he took it back to the dealer to have it fitted, he found out that the dealer had ordered for the original plug to be cut off. Where do we stand with this if the dealer refuses to fix it?

Submitted: 16/02/2012 15:59:07 | ID: 78814

Sharon Poulter, Surrey

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

My Vauxhall Vectra’s fob stopped working about a year ago. I changed the battery but it still didn’t work. I changed the battery again recently and it still didn’t work but now on the dashboard screen it’s coming up "remote control battery". What does this mean?

Submitted: 16/02/2012 09:36:09 | ID: 78641

Gordon Black, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

My Vauxhall Vectra temperature gauge works intermittently. The thermostat seems to be working. Any ideas on how to get it to work properly?

Submitted: 15/02/2012 08:47:48 | ID: 78542

Adam Thompson, Kent

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

My Vauxhall Vectra has got a misfire. I have changed coil pack and spark plugs and still no good. The engine management light is also on, and it is running rough. Any further suggestions?

I had the same with a sri 140 misfire and lumpy tickover and the EM kept coming on. Looked online for a cure, found it could be a sensor. After more checking, I found a thin pipe popped of just under the throttle body. Runs and tickover perfect. Cheap job for once Jason Goodridge from England

Check the cat hasn’t failed and blocked up, happened to my vectra c 1.8 Sri, cost my about 500 with a new sensor. Get it put on an emissions machine at an mot centre, this will give you an indication of a problem Matt from Essex

Submitted: 13/02/2012 15:42:35 | ID: 78520

Mark Tunley, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1996

Where is the thermostat on a 2.5 v6 Vauxhall Vectra and is it just a thermostat that needs replacing or housing? I have not done one on a Vectra before...

You won’t like this. In order to get to it, you need to remove the inlet manifolds. It’s at the top of the engine, right next to the timing belt cover Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 13/02/2012 13:53:59 | ID: 78470

Richard, Berkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I’ve had my turbo replaced as the last one broke. My engine is still drinking oil though. Someone said where the last turbo was broken it may of caused damage to the engine rings. Any ideas?

Submitted: 08/02/2012 20:40:06 | ID: 75717

David Gilmour, Ayrshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra’s rear windscreen heater is not working and I have checked the fuse and it is OK. Also, one rear door will not lock or unlock using the remote. Can anyone help? (sri 150)

Two things can cause the rear windscreen heater not to work if its not use, take one of the other switches out of dash (e.g. air con) and try that switch. These just flick out with a flat screwdriver or it could be that the metal in the screen where the heat disapates has been scratched so the circuit is broken the rear door not locking or unlocking on central locking is a pain, I have the same problem and is pretty darn common. The central locking solenoid within the door has given up so will not operate. You can get one from any Vectra b and it will go straight in and link up to your car’s ecu so you don’t need another key or upset any settings. Hope this helps, if you need to ask anything just email me m.barrett2011@live.co.uk Mike Barrett from Hampshire

Submitted: 08/02/2012 08:29:20 | ID: 75354

Marilyn Wrightson, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

The computer screen in my Vauxhall Vectra is not turning off, even when the ignition is switched off and it states safe on the screen? Also the doors will not open and lock with the remote control system? How can we remedy these faults? (2.2 ELEGANCE)

Submitted: 08/02/2012 08:17:06 | ID: 75327

Peter Atkinson, Durham

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Hi, I’ve got a 2005 2.2 petrol sri. Recently it’s started to cut out, usually after I’ve gone a couple of miles and parked up for 20 minutes or so. It starts again after about a minute, then cuts out 2 or 3 times in the next couple of miles. I’ve had the engine cleaned out, all parts appear to be OK and my mechanic’s at a loss for the first time in 20 years. Anybody any ideas? The main dealer’s my last resort... (2.2 sri)

High pressure fuel pump? 2.2 directs are prone to pump failure. What error codes come up? www.vectr-c.com is a great place to ask for help too Helpful Guy from Huntingdonshire

As with all these types of answers, they are not definitive. However, one possibility is that your catalytic converter may have collapsed internally. This is a difficult problem to diagnose and you may have to remove it for closer inspection? A flashing engine management light is said to be causing further damage? The problem you describe may not be the cat, but that possibility needs to be eliminated. Failing that the ECU may need to be tested by a specialist Willam Day from Sussex

Submitted: 03/02/2012 09:09:02 | ID: 75033

Helen Carpenter, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra’s engine management light is flashing. I took it to a garage for it to be looked at. It has new spark plugs and coil pack and it’s still running like crap and the light is still flashing. It’s had diagnostics done and all came back fine. This has cost 80 pounds and still the problem and light are there. What could this be and how much am I looking at paying? (1.6)

Submitted: 01/02/2012 09:50:51 | ID: 74363

Chris Dixon, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

My Vauxhall Vectra dashboard shows that the passenger door is left open but it’s closed. Now the alarm system will not work properly. Please, does someone out there know the answer?

Try the sensor in the door, it may be jammed Ate from England

Submitted: 31/01/2012 20:44:04 | ID: 74358

Paul, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

Why would my digital fuel gauge tell me I’ve used 26 miles of petrol but have only driven 7 to 8 miles?

You may be driving too hard (fast and not fuel efficient), or are you allowing for town consumption as oppose to motorway driving. For example, I have a 2.5 v6 sri Vectra, and round town she is like a jag (thisty), put her on the motorway, and wow I drove 26 miles and used 8 miles of fuel. Bottom line is press the indicator stalk and forget the display, as it is inaccurate and just enjoy driving again. The reserve is 45 miles I think so don’t panic, relax my friend. Cheers Dan Richy from Somerset

Or you may have a leak in one of the air-pipes in the engine bay, or the engine temperature sensor may have failed, leading the engine computer to think the engine’s cold and overfuelling it (think leaving the choke out on an older car). The thermostat could be stuck open - does it take forever for the engine and heating to warm up? Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 31/01/2012 20:39:23 | ID: 74259

Ian Haywood, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

I own a W reg SXI Vectra and am trying to find the Vauxhall part number for the hatchback struts so I can replace them. Because the car has a spoiler on the hatch, can anyone advise me on the original Vauxhall part number? From knuckle to knuckle they measure 67cms. Finally, I believe this is the type B Vectra but online sites believe the struts are off a type C Vectra as they have 2254HA stamped on them. Thanking you. (SXI)

Submitted: 30/01/2012 18:13:16 | ID: 74115

Mat Francis, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

Hi, I just bought a 1.8 Vauxhall Vectra SRi. I was told the cam sensor needed changing, which I did, but my car still won’t rev above 4,000. Even if I floor it the revs only hit 4,000 then drop right back down. I have also changed the crank sensor. Any ideas? It seems like its taking air in somewhere... Not sure. Cheers.

Is the engine fault light illuminated on the dash? If so, the engine computer’s operating in limp-home mode, and will rev-limit at 4,000rpm. It implies the engine computer is unhappy with one or more of the engine sensor readings, further suggesting that one has failed. A mechanic with the correct diagnostics computer can plug into the car, and ask the engine computer which sensor has failed. It’s the only practical way (other than changing fifty-quid sensors one after another at random until you get lucky) with modern computerised engines Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 30/01/2012 18:10:29 | ID: 74113

Kevin Shield, Leicestershire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

When starting my Vauxhall Vectra’s engine the electronics light comes on (car with spanner) briefly for about 20 seconds. It doesn’t happen all the time, just now and again and never when cold. Any ideas anyone? (2.2 16 v petrol)

Submitted: 26/01/2012 08:58:05 | ID: 73969

Kelly, Kent

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Anyone help? Having loss of power, normally only goes 25MPH and then Car and Spanner symbol appears on the dash. Manual refers to Transmission and that’s it! Getting more frequent and we need the car. Any help would be appreciated. (2.2 Diesel)

Could be a faulty engine sensor. I am afraid a diagnostic test is your only solution at this point. Also, have a quick look at your breather pipes Karl from England

Your car is going into Limp Home mode. My van did it when it rained. The garage has put a guard under sump so water does not spray up behind engine and this cured my problem Brian McCleary from Perthshire

Agreed with other answer, do a self diagnostic test. Sit in car left foot on brake as far down as poss, right foot on acc pedal as far down as poss. Put key in, turn to no.2 position (don’t release pedals) and watch dashboard. If the fault is in the ecu, they will come up either 000701 or may flash a certain number of times. Count these flashes and note down numbers. Fault codes available on vectra websites. Hope this helps Dave Kerby from Hampshire

Submitted: 25/01/2012 15:38:45 | ID: 73961

Alex Connelly, West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Can anyone tell me the diameter and how many splines are at the top of a Vauxhall Vectra. 1.8 sri 2007 steering column?

Submitted: 22/01/2012 17:08:24 | ID: 73033

Gareth Barlow, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Hi, is there anyone who could tell me what;s wrong with the heater on my Vauxhall Vectra? It stays on when I turn the car off and when the car is on and the heaters are turned off it’s on then as well. My car is a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti year 04/05.

Submitted: 21/01/2012 23:43:32 | ID: 72928

Barry Boulter, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Does anyone know the toe in toe out setting for my Vauxhall Vectra please? As I’ve just bought a track board to set tracking.

With the vectra c it needs to be set up properly on a hunter machine or similar. Vectra c has toe and camber on rear and toe and camber on front which needs to be right in order to stop car crabbing up the road Vectra c man from Essex

Submitted: 21/01/2012 23:23:32 | ID: 72570

Peter Ferguson, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

My Vauxhall Vectra, when in second gear the engine begins to die then runs normally for a while. It has started happening more frequently in last 2 days. What could cause this? (1.8i Executive)

Submitted: 20/01/2012 14:21:01 | ID: 72452

Nigel Butler, Norfolk

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

The oil light on my 2003 Vauxhall Vectra flickers on when warm and idling. Where is the oil pressure switch located on this model? (2.0 dti)

Submitted: 20/01/2012 13:53:15 | ID: 72493

Barry Oliver, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1997

I have a v6 Vauxhall Vectra. It starts first time when cold but once it gets warm it cuts out and won’t start again for about 30 mins. Anybody have any ideas why this might be?

Possibly failure of the engine temperature sensor (CTS - coolant temp sensor) leading the engine computer to think that the engine’s cold and thus causigng over-fuelling - think leaving the choke pulled out on a car from years ago Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 19/01/2012 15:32:23 | ID: 72145

Wayne Gifford, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

How many miles does a Vauxhall Vectra 2000 140 sri do on lpg?

Submitted: 19/01/2012 14:16:39 | ID: 75869