VAUXHALL VECTRA questions and answers: Page 13

VAUXHALL Vectra

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL VECTRA models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL VECTRA. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL VECTRA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Barry Neale, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

The pipe on the clutch slave cylinder of my Vauxhall Vectra keeps popping out. How do I cure the problem? (SIR 2.2)

Submitted: 25/06/2012 11:36:29 | ID: 87964

Nigel Bonell, Shropshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Sometimes when I start my Vauxhall Vectra the battery light stays on and if I turn the car off and restart the car the light goes off. Does anybody have any answers please? (Sri)

The alternator is on its way out. My Vectra was the same, Change it soon or you`ll have to replace your battery as well Paul from England

Submitted: 22/06/2012 12:28:14 | ID: 88009

Phil Spencer, Northumberland

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

My Vauxhall Vectra cuts out when you restart it after a run. Any ideas please? (2.2 auto)

Submitted: 18/06/2012 11:40:28 | ID: 80358

Arshad Khan, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Hi. My Vauxhall Vectra cdti sri temperature gauge rises above 90 when it`s driven in the city or is parked up. Also when it reaches near 95 I think the fan comes on and it goes down a bit. Its not a steady temperature. What is causing this problem? (yc 57 ubz)

In your cooling system you have a valve near the radiator which should open when water is reaching 90 degrees. It sounds like you need to replace it. If you know how to take it out put it in boiling water, if it doesn’t open (pop open) replace it. If this valve is not working properly then it will result in high engine temperature. Not an expensive part but the labour will be more than the part, depending on where the valve is hidden Peter Kiss from England

Submitted: 15/06/2012 16:10:33 | ID: 87229

Gabriel Cooney, Middlesex

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

My Vauxhall Vectra has a problem with the mass air flow. When it occurs the car loses power. The unit has been changed twice but the problem`s still there. Any ideas please?

This happened to my car. I replaced the EGR valve, the air flow sensor and the boost sensor and also got the manifold cleaned out. The car is driving perfectly again. All of the parts in the breakers` cost me 120 Euros Brian from Ireland

Submitted: 14/06/2012 11:23:51 | ID: 87137

Dave Jones, Shropshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

My 1998 petrol Vauxhall Vectra starts fine from cold but is hard to start up once the engine is warmed up. Can anyone help me please? (petrol)

Submitted: 11/06/2012 12:36:08 | ID: 86967

Peter Farmer, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

My 1.8 1998 Vauxhall Vectra starts up straight away from cold but once the engine gets warm it takes a lot of turning over to start up. Can anyone help please?(petrol)

Submitted: 11/06/2012 11:59:28 | ID: 86963

Paul Jones, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

I have just bought a Vauxhall Vectra Sri 150. It is very lumpy on tick over with a slight hesitation when initially accelerating, but it runs fine when you get to the speed you want. I was told it is the egr valve/sensor. Could this be the problem or is there another cause?

Submitted: 07/06/2012 16:55:37 | ID: 86858

Michael Lewis, Caerphilly

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

Hi. My Vauxhall Vectra seems to use a lot of coolant. Any ideas?

Water Pump Gary Fraser from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 07/06/2012 14:17:31 | ID: 77633

Ade, Leicestershire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra has water leaking into the boot. Is this easy to cure myself?

Hi. I had a similar problem. After reading on a few Vauxhall sites I pulled off the 2 plastic runners on the roof that start just above the boot, plastered the troughs with clear bathroom silicon and pressed the plastic back in before silicon set. This seems to have sorted the problem for me. Had to use a screwdriver to get the strips out and I think I cracked the bits that hold it in place but the silicon is more than up to the job holding them down once it sets Tony Clark from Fife and Kinross Shires

Dust the inside of the boot with talcum powder when it’s dry, hose it down (or go to the car wash) and then have a look for water marks in the talc dust to see where it’s coming from. A little silicone sealant works wonders. It could be the roof aerial rubber seal has perished, allowing water to run down the trim strips of the rear window (on a saloon). It could be where the rear wiper is fitted (on a hatchback) It could be the seal where the numberplate light wiring passes through the body. It could be around the rear light clusters. The talc trick is your first step Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 07/06/2012 12:07:31 | ID: 78194

Ian Chalmers, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

I`m driving my Vauxhall Vectra and it`s running okay but then all of a sudden the car won`t go into gear, any gear. I have to pull over and turn the ignition off and then back on again. Sometimes this works the first time but not all of the time. I`ve tried pumping the clutch pedal as well. When I finally do get a gear the car runs fine again. Please can anyone help? Thanks.

Sounds like dual mass flywheel if fitted to your model Chris Scorey from Rhondda Cynon Taff

Submitted: 01/06/2012 14:10:28 | ID: 85927

Rob Vickery, Devon

Vauxhall Vectra 1999

After driving over bad ground my Vauxhall Vectra`s speedometer works intermittently and when the engine is warm the ECU light will come on if the engine is restarted. Please can you tell me where the speedometer drive or sensor is? Many thanks. (Sri 140)

I had the same problem and cured it by fitting a new cam sensor Telfer from Cornwall

Submitted: 01/06/2012 10:54:39 | ID: 86176

John Crabtree, Hampshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

My Vauxhall Vectra`s alarm keeps going off at irregular intervals when I open the driver`s door. Any ideas why?(Elegance)

Key in / or lights on Steve Skelton from England

Submitted: 29/05/2012 09:31:31 | ID: 78455

Ed, Cornwall

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Hi. I recently noticed that my Vauxhall Vectra had a leak of something behind the rear tyre on the driver`s side. I took the wheel off and it seemed to be around the main bar of the suspension. What could it be? Thanks.

What does it smell of? If it smells of fuel run the car into your local macanical garage for a proper inspection Matt from Essex

The only fluids in that area are fuel (fuel tank or fuel line leak) or brake fluid (brake line or brake caliper/ cylinder leak). If there’s evidence of leaking on the inside of the wheel rim (i.e. the bit of the wheel you can see by peering through the ’spokes’) it’s almost certainly brake fluid. If it’s petrol, it will evaporate off quickly and leave little trace, and petrol’s easy to identify by its smell. If it’s slimy and smells of diesel, then it’s diesel. If it’s slimy and smells slightly bitter it’s more likely brake fluid. Either way, it needs fixing sooner rather than later - a brake fluid leak will lead to a lack of fluid and eventually you’ll find you’ve got no brakes one day when you’re driving. If it’s fuel, then the consequences of fuel leaking onto a hot exhaust are obvious Paul Marchant from England

The only fluids behind the wheel are not just brake fluids or fuel. The problem may be your rear shock absorbers as I have recently just had this problem where my rear shock had cracked and was leaking fluid down my suspension onto the floor behind my wheel. Should cost anywhere between £150-200 inc vat to fix as its recommended to replace both sides at the same time or if you know someone who knows what they’re doing and will do it for you then the parts are 29.75 + VAT each! Hope this helps Jason Kirkland from England

Submitted: 29/05/2012 09:29:44 | ID: 85872

Rich, Shropshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

My 2005 Vauxhall Vectra is making a clicking noise in the dashboard when I turn the key for about a minute and then it stops. Can anyone tell me what this is please?

If it sounds like its coming from behind the glovebox it’s the air recirculation unit clutch that’s gone and it’s resetting itself each time you turn the ignition on. Remove glove box and unit - it is held by three screws, part from Vauxhall is approx 50 quid Tom Hemingbrough from Yorkshire

Submitted: 28/05/2012 12:33:33 | ID: 85829

Paul Humphrey, England

Vauxhall Vectra

Hi. I have just bought a Vauxhall Vectra secondhand and find it has no power low down. Once it`s warm it goes a bit better. It seems to only accelerate at higher speeds and dropping down a gear or two. It`s a 55 plate and has done 133,000 miles. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.(1.9cdti Elite)

Sounds like blocked egr valve - they can be replaced circa 160.00 + lab or if handy they can be removed and cleaned - free of the seized solenoid that sits on the back of the egr - dash lights will go out after 10 miles or so - good luck Pat McCabe from England

Submitted: 25/05/2012 09:26:57 | ID: 85053

Eric Woodall, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

I have a Vauxhall Vectra Sri 2006 and tried to take a cd out of the cd player and the display screen keeps saying cd error, it won`t eject the cd. Also my control on the steering wheel to change from radio to cd won`t work now either. Can anybody please give me any advice? (Sri)

I would try disconnecting battery this might reset CD player if not probably have to buy a new one Matt from Essex

Submitted: 24/05/2012 10:08:36 | ID: 69924

TT Tari, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

I own a Vauxhall Vectra 2005 Automatic. When the temperature is 90 degrees it starts jumping and when it`s cold it has no power and shows a spanner sign. Any suggestions? (Auto)

Submitted: 22/05/2012 15:00:04 | ID: 71684

Dave Robinson, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1997

Where can I locate the windscreen washer pump in my Vauxhall Vectra? I can`t see it. Is it under the bonnet or in the boot?

It’s located behind the plastic mud guard of the front passenger wheel Jay from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 18/05/2012 09:49:20 | ID: 78425

Pasha, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

My Vauxhall Vectra seems to be fine when I switch the engine on, but as soon I accelerate harder there is a noise coming from under the car. Also the steering wheel feels different from when I first got the car at the end of last year. Can anyone tell me what`s the problem?(Y Reg)

I'm having the same problem please someone get bak to us. Rajagaf@hotmail.co.uk from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 17/05/2012 11:27:43 | ID: 69903

Paul M, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

H. My fuse blew in my Vauxhall Vectra`s stereo yesterday. Now my rear driver`s side brake light, the middle brake light, the near side indicator and also the remote boot latch from key and door have stopped working. I have checked all of the bulbs and a few fuses I thought it could be but all seems fine. I have replaced the fuse in the stereo and it`s working fine too. Please can someone help? (1.8 ls)

Submitted: 14/05/2012 14:31:43 | ID: 71887

Frank Pyers, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

My Vauxhall Vectra`s dimster fan is making a grating noise when switched on. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 14/05/2012 12:20:29 | ID: 74954

Dave, Northamptonshire

Vauxhall Vectra

My 8v 1.6 Vauxhall Vectra started to rev up to 5000 revs and holding, then it stopped doing that and now it is miss-firing and cutting out. Any suggestions? (8v 1.6)

Buy a Ford Dave from Bedfordshire

Stick with your Vauxhall M8. Fords have their own problems like any car. It`s probably your camshaft sensor Paul from England

Submitted: 14/05/2012 11:20:02 | ID: 71806

Davie Forbes, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

The cruise control light on my Vauxhall Vectra doesn`t come on when the ignition is switched on. Any suggestions?

Check Cruise control on/off button, check the sensors on pedals. If one of those faulty the light won’t turn and cruise control won’t work D from Ireland

Probably the button on stalk, this can be replaced separately, £25 ish from eBay Matt from Essex

More information needed. Do you mean the cruise control doesn’t function, or that literally the dashboard cruise light doesn’t illuminate (but that the cruise control functions as expected). If it’s the stalk, you can fix it yourself in ten minutes. See my wrrite-up I did on VXON: http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?threads/cruise-control-function.130518/#post-2551357 Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 14/05/2012 10:17:37 | ID: 71794

Naz Ali, Australia

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

When I start the engine of my Vauxhall Vectra 2006 it will make some noise for a few seconds and after that it will go back to normal. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

If it’s a rattle, could be the heat plate that goes around the exhaust under the car. Just needs tightening up like a screw. I had that problem after a minute or so when the car idles it goes away Micky R from England

Submitted: 08/05/2012 15:58:50 | ID: 71283

Rob Murray, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

Hi there. I have a problem with my Vauxhall Vectra. It has no power, it won’t rev above 3200 rpm and the exhaust doesn’t sound quite right (it sounds stuffy if that makes sense). The garage whipped off the exhaust and said it did run okay with no exhaust on. I took it to another garage to get the exhaust checked and they said it’s fine, they tried a new catylitic converter but it didn’t correct the issue. The Vauxhall garage says that it has a blocked exhaust fault code. All in all, I seem to be spending lots of time and cash going round in circles. Could it be something other than the exhaust? Cheers for any advice. (1.9 CDTI)

It sounds like the egr valve, I had the same problem Abo Abernthy from England

How many miles already on your counter, if already passed 150K I am 80 percent sure that the exhaust is blocked and that which is giving you the trouble. Don’t change anything, first take out the exhaust and keep the catalitic, then turn the engine on and watch the difference, even you can try the car on the road, then if you find a reasonable difference then change the exhaust because blocked exhaust even can cause the engine not to start Chucri Kayal from France

This problem sounds like its one of those tricks poor garages use. See if the elecrical plug connecting the turbo. You can find it just in front of the battery behind the bumper. It should sort out this problem for good Steve Hodgkiss from Lancashire

Submitted: 08/05/2012 15:13:50 | ID: 71246

Mary, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1993

My Vauxhall Vectra S DTI `s middle rear seatbelt is jammed. It just won’t move and it`s firmly locked against the seat. How do I get it to move so that it can be used?Thanks.

Submitted: 08/05/2012 15:10:32 | ID: 71245

Shaben, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Hi. I ve got a Vauxhall Vectra sri 07 plate. Recently a light on the dashboard of a car with a spanner came on. I took it to the garage and they did diagnostics on it but couldn`t find the fault. The engine is making quite a loud noise so they recommended me to change the cam belt as the car has done 51,000 miles, so I did but no luck. The garage has told me now that it could be the oil pressure as it should be 1.4 but mine is 4. Now he has asked me to take it to Vauxhall tech. What does it mean? Is it serious? Please help. (sri 07)

That light means that you have to change oil, brake pads, etc just the full service. But if you do it yourself, or in any garage they will not reset your Eco-flex service counter, so you have to do it either manually or bring it to Vauxhall tech. To turn off that counter manually in your Vectra follow those steps. 1. Ign OFF, trip miles must show. 2. Press and hold the reset. 3.Ign ON, still holding reset, wait until service interval indicator switches over and hold on for 3 secs more. 4. After 3 seconds, the display on the instrument cluster shows the max mileage allowed between services and the timer is reset for 24 months D from Ireland

Submitted: 08/05/2012 11:35:26 | ID: 74243

Leanne Exelby, Middlesex

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me here My dad`s Vauxhall Vectra diesel`s alternator broke and we took it to a local garage (not dealer. The day after it came out of the garage the power steering light has come on although there are no problems with the steering. I phoned the garage and he said it has nothing to do with the alternator but we can bring it down to him for him to have a look. My dad`s worrying (in his 70s) that the garage is going to rip him off. I have checked the power steering fluid (a hard job on it`s own) and it seems okay. Is there anything else it can be other than the alternator? (1.9 CDTI)

More than likely the battery is dud too... The alternator can sometimes take the battery with it to... Common problem Mike Hopper from Staffordshire

Submitted: 01/05/2012 12:17:10 | ID: 71045

Mike Sweatman, Somerset

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

My Vauxhall Vectra has a ticking noise coming from the engine when I start it up. Any ideas?

Sounds like a broken stud on the exhaust manifold Rolf Levang from Worcestershire

Check oil level, if low could cause damage to hydronic lifters. Have this checked out at your local mechanical garage Matt from Essex

Submitted: 01/05/2012 12:10:06 | ID: 70005

Leanne Exelby, Middlesex

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

My dad`s Vauxhall Vectra`s alternator went and we got it repaired in the local garage (not main dealers). The very next day after leaving the garage the power steering lights came on and stayed on but Dad says that the steering is fine. I phoned the garage and they said that it has nothing to do with the alternator and to bring it in. My dad`s concerned that the garage made a mistake and will say it`s something else and charge him more for their mistake. Any ideas? (1.9 CDTI)

Alternator really heavy and difficult to manouver - it’s likeley they have un bolted the alternator and lowered or dropped it onto the power steering sensor that sits on the steering rack just below the alternator - give the connection a wiggle to see if its secure or been pushed back in a broken condition Pat McCabe from England

Submitted: 01/05/2012 10:33:50 | ID: 71094

Stuart Alexander, Lothians

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

I have changed the clutch, slave cylinder and master cylinder of my Vauxhall Vectra but still can`t get my car into gear. Can anyone help please?

Have u checked the linkage rods? Big G Bach from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 01/05/2012 09:31:35 | ID: 71026

Derek Holland, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

Where is the fuel tank inspection plate on my Vauxhall Vectra, if there is one?

It’s under the rear seat. Lift seat, lift carpet Brian from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 26/04/2012 17:14:10 | ID: 69945

Sam Brown, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I have problems with my Vauxhall Vectra`s clutch. I drove the car on Monday and it was fine. When I got in it on Tuesday the bite point at the top of the pedal gets drive but only as if the clutch hasn’t fully engaged. Can anyone help with this?(1.8 sri.)

Worn clutch, or sticking clutch cylinder, or clutch pressure-plate sticking on gearbox input shaft splines Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 26/04/2012 09:06:34 | ID: 69939

Mark, Cambridgeshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

I have only got one sound coming from my Vauxhall Vectra`s car horn which sounds like a Noddy car. Has it got two horns or is it one with two tones inside the one horn and one is not working? My last Vectra had a very loud horn. I need to know as soon as possible please. Can anyone help? Thank you. (SRI cdti 150)

Submitted: 25/04/2012 11:38:46 | ID: 69953

Nadine Taylor, Dorset

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

I have a 2001 Vauxhall Vectra B Facelift. I have just had the car resprayed. I now need to put new side indicators on the car. How do I remove the old and put in the new ones? (SRi 130)

Submitted: 23/04/2012 11:17:03 | ID: 82100

Alex McLardy, Lothians

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

Does this model of Vauxhall Vectra have the trip computer function? It does have the full screen display and a button marked BC, but I cannot access the display of fuel use / distance travelled etc. Is this just how it is configured for this model or am I not operating it correctly? The system fitted is the c40 opera infotainment system. (1.8vvti Exclusive)

Submitted: 20/04/2012 10:12:02 | ID: 81929

Kyle Gardiner, County Armagh

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Hi. I have a Vauxhall Vectra 03 and my steering has gone. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Do you get any fault codes in the display? I had juddering steering a few years ago, and got the steering wheel with an exclamation mark in the display. I have an 04 2.0 DTI, and had loads of problems with steering. Took it back to where I bought it, they said the steering rack was leaking. They then changed four racks before I pointed to where I had seen a leak, it was a corrugated pipe that runs behind the engine but is not changed with a steering rack. I then had to have a new sensor and power steering pump too, so check that. Just get someone to watch under the lid while you go lock to lock. If you have the same problem and the car is that old I reckon it’s gonna be a touch pricey. Paul Vokes from England.

Submitted: 16/04/2012 14:33:20 | ID: 73575

Robert Morrison, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

After rainfall I have two puddles of water in each rear corner of my Vauxhall Vectra`s boot compartment. I have sealed the two rear quarter light windows and sealed the radio aerial rubbers. Has anyone had this problem and where is the water coming in? (Hatchback)

Hi - I have just had the same problem. After numerous hours trying to track the leak I finally found out it was the seal on the roof mounted aerial. Worth a try Ian Tagg from Derbyshire

Lift your bonnet of your Vectra, where the window wipers mount there’s a plastic grid under the widerscreen. Under that you will find it is full of water, put your hand in and at the bottom there is a funnel to the floor mine was full of leaves and crud, push the leaves out with a stick or somthing and the water will run out. Hope this helps Joe Delaney from Leicestershire

Possibly it’s coming in through the rear light clusters. Dust down the inside of the boot with talcum powder when it’s dry, and then hose it down or take it through a carwash, and have a look for water marks in the talc dust to see which direction it’s coming from Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 16/04/2012 12:52:00 | ID: 80531

Ian Chalmers, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

My Vauxhall Vectra starts okay from cold. If I drive it any distance then stop the car and remove the key the car will start, but keeps cutting out as if it can`t find it`s idle point. Then it keeps cutting out ie when I have stopped at traffic lights. I found that if I stay in second gear and rag it for a bit it eventually finds it`s idle point/tick over point again. Any suggestions?

This quite a common problem and it is normally due to the idle speed stepper motor which is bolted to the side of the throttle body and has an electrical connector with a black plug going in to it. It is attached to the drivers side of the throttle body and you will need to remove the air filter to gain access to the two bolts. You may have noticed that the engine management warning light may have come on intermittently too. Either replace this unit or in some cases, it may be just enough to give the inside of it a good spray with some WD40 or similar product and wipe out the excess and replace the gasket. Watch out for the little rubber O ring if you dismantle the two halves though. Hope this helps David Williams from Merthyr Tydfil

Submitted: 16/04/2012 12:42:32 | ID: 80491