VAUXHALL VECTRA questions and answers: Page 13

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL VECTRA models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL VECTRA. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL VECTRA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Robert, County Antrim

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Hi. I have a 04 2.0DTI Vectra and the oil cooler on the front is leaking water. Does anyone know if the whole front end of the car had to be removed to gain access or can I remove it from either the top or underneath?

Submitted: 28/05/2013 14:56:46 | ID: 54819

Kevin, Suffolk

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Can anyone help please? The clock in my Vauxhall Vectra keeps changing the date back a day everytime you turn the radio back on. Does anyone know why this is happening or what I need to do? Thanks. (Sxi 1.8 petrol)

I had this problem with my 03 Vectra, kept changing the time as well every time car was turned off and on again - friend told me it was to do with interference from radio channels - I used to listen to q101 - I removed this station and haven’t had a problem since Lexi from County Tyrone

Submitted: 16/05/2013 10:45:04 | ID: 55626

Giuliano Labban, Northamptonshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

I have noticed with my Vauxhall Vectra my revs have been going up really high on acceleration going through the gears and eventually dropping back to normal. I can see the rev count needle just flicking up and down and have noticed the noise in between changing gears has been considerably louder. Has anyone experienced anything similar and what could the problem be?

I’m having the same problem and this is causing my turbo to not kick in when it should be. If I find anything out will let you know, can you let me know if you find out what it is? Thanks craig120577@ hotmail.com Craig Rothery from Aberdeenshire

Submitted: 15/05/2013 14:15:35 | ID: 55609

Jacqueline Bromley, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

My 2004 Vauxhall Vectra`s drivers side headlight and rear lights and brake lights won’t work. They were perfectly fine until tonight. Can anyone please help? Many thanks. (1.8L)

Submitted: 30/04/2013 14:06:49 | ID: 53802

Cyril Jones, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I had a problem with my Vauxhall Vectra today. I was driving to work and the ecu and engine management lights came on. The car became sluggish and wouldn’t get above 2000 rpm and the turbo wouldn’t come on, the computer was showing enough diesel left for 55 miles. I struggled the few miles to work and switched off. After a few minutes I switched back on and both warning lights had gone off and the car drove normally. After work I topped up the tank and the car drove normally all the way home. Could it be that the fuel level was lower than indicated by the computer and I had picked up some silt from the bottom of the tank? Does anyone have any idea what caused the problem? Thanks for any ideas. (Elite 2.2 dti)

Hi, I’ve got a v6 2004 model cdti 3ltr. I have got same problem and it’s the egr valve or camshaft sensor Gary Dodd from England

Hi mate, clean egr valve with brake cleaner. The problem you’re getting is same as me, mine’s going to Vauxhall. I drove my car to garage when it went into limp mode, put it on computer and it came back as as boost pressure sensor was the problem. So getting it done, fingers crossed, 96 pound for part 164 supply and fit. I will let you know, hope it was helpful Gary Dodd from Shropshire

Submitted: 30/04/2013 12:03:43 | ID: 53789

Chris, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

Hi everyone, I need some help with a strange problem. My Vauxhall Vectra 3.0 cdti does iro 38 to 44mpg around town but lately, as soon as it gets to operating temperature around 86 degrees, consumption slowly drops to about 25mpg! My initial thoughts were the MAF so I replaced it with an OE Bosch but still no difference. The strange thing is, if I turn off the car once it`s hot and then restart and carry on, fuel consumption improves for a short while, but then after 5 or 6 minutes it starts to decrease again. I`m going to change the temperature sensor next and after that I`’m out of ideas. Has anyone got any ideas please? Cheers in advance. (3.0 cdti)

Submitted: 25/04/2013 14:26:33 | ID: 93403

Kevin Lobb, Cornwall

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I have a warning light on the dash of my Vauxhall Vectra which is a circle with 3 lines down the left and right sides. Could anyone explain what this might mean? Many thanks.

We have same problem and manual said it was brakes, we bought new brake pads and checked brake fluid. On going to replace brake pads we found they were virtually new so it wasnt that. Next line of attack for us is to check out the sensors Marie Heenan from Worcestershire

Sorry this is a bit late. The symbol you describe seems to indicate that a light bulb has failed. The problem is finding which one. I still have the problem which I have narrowed down to an interior mirror console light. Can’t find out how to access bulb. Hope this helps Frank Cooper from Lancashire

Submitted: 19/04/2013 14:07:01 | ID: 92260

Dejan R, Serbia

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

I replaced the battery on my Vauxhall Vectra which was operating correctly, but the battery was old so I figured I should replace it. After installing a new battery the lights in the cabin are okay and the board is okay, but I cannot start the motor. When I turn the key I hear a strong beep beep beep somewhere from the left and nothing happens. What could it be? (C)

Submitted: 15/04/2013 15:38:37 | ID: 93085

Pauline Welsh, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Hi. I have a Vauxhall Vectra. I have just noticed that when I put my heating on the fans are blowing out cold air. There is the right amount of water in my radiator and everything seems to be normal. My temperature gauge is on 80 but there is no hot air being blown out, just cold air. Could anyone please give me any advice on what the problem could be? Thank you.

This could be a few problems, check to see if all the pipes are connected to the coolant and the coolant unit, or there could be air stuck in the system which is really bad Doninic V from England

The likelyhood is that you have an actuator stuck, if you remove the glove box 5 t20 torx screws and look behind the centre console you will see a large white box, this is the heating unit, near the bottom is a plastic arm (usually red) this is attached to either a cable or an actuator when you turn your heating to hot you should see this arm move as it opens the warm air mixing flap, if it doesn’t move and its attached to an actuator you can flick it off the actuator and move it by hand this frees up the flap if its stuck, once it’s off you will be able to see if the actuator is working by turning from hot to cool and back again. If the motor moves and the flap is freed up just reconnect in reverse of removal and you should now have heat Craig Roberts from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 11/04/2013 15:12:25 | ID: 92846

Darren, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

Sometimes while accelerating my Vauxhall Vectra sri won`t accelerate past 4000 rpm. Once I change gear it then allows me to accelerate, but then sometimes it will accelerate right up to the limit. Does anyone know what the reason for this might be please? (sri 130)

Submitted: 11/04/2013 10:40:35 | ID: 92699

Sam Jose, Ireland

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

I have a Vauxhall Vectra Opel 2006 model engine size 1.6. When I drive for 10 minutes there is smoke coming up from the coolant container and there is a sound coming from the front, like something is trying to rotate but getting stuck. It looks like the fan. The mechanic told me that I need to replace the head gasket. What is the reason for having trouble with the head gasket and why is there a sound coming from the fan? Can anyone please give me an answer?

Submitted: 10/04/2013 14:48:36 | ID: 92810

Darren, County Londonderry

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

My Vauxhall Vectra has a clicking noise coming from the glove box area and whilst this is clicking the centre console lights flash and the power steering goes very heavy. Also the main lights will flicker along with the clicking noise and the heater only blows hot air. This all started at the same time. What could be causing this fault? (C)

Nothing to worry about, its’ the cd unit, don’t worry Gary Dodd from Shropshire

Submitted: 10/04/2013 11:11:48 | ID: 92795

Paul Clem, Durham

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Hi, my wife has a 2002 Vauxhall Vectra c 2ltr and the diesel pump has gone. I have been quoted just under a grand for a replacement but I thought about fitting a second hand one. Can it be done? (2ltr diesel)

Aye it can be done mate but it’s pretty hard because the diesel pump is in with the timing on the Vectra. I have got an 03 plate vectra 2.0 litre and have got a diesel pump 4 sale. If you’re intrested drop us a text or give us a ring  on 07500959558. Michael Caris from Durham

Submitted: 09/04/2013 09:09:05 | ID: 92702

Caroline Lamb, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

My Vauxhall Vectra`s power steering light came on and I had no power steering at all. I got it to a garage and they say it`s not the pump. The computer says the problem is the column not talking to the rack so they believe it needs a new unit, which is all coded so I can’t buy one second hand apparently, it has to be from Vauxhall. Is this a costly problem? (1.9cdti)

Submitted: 04/04/2013 11:10:58 | ID: 92481

Tony, Bedfordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

Can anybody please tell me whether the side rubber seals on my Vauxhall Vectra windscreen should be visible or not? I`ve just had a new screen fitted and the bottom corner edges and sides of the screen can be seen. The rubber seals at the top and bottom of the screen are clearly evident. Is this okay? (CD)

Submitted: 02/04/2013 11:49:51 | ID: 92491

Tony Grout, Hampshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

Hi. My Vauxhall Vectra starts up and seems fine for 10-20 seconds then starts to misfire with the EGR valve in place. If I blank it off it cures the misfire but the engine sputters. What could be causing this? (1800 LS)

Submitted: 02/04/2013 10:38:44 | ID: 90839

Guy Laxton, Surrey

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I have a Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 petrol engine. When I start the car in the morning the steering wheel is very heavy when I`m turning left. When the engine has warmed up the steering becomes a lot easier, but the problem returns the next morning when the engine is cold. What could be causing this please?

Check your drive belt the one that connects the power alternator. If that thing breaks you’ll loose the assisted steering dashlights and other electronic stuff. It could also be something broken or on that point inside the steering box but is less likely Dennis from England

Submitted: 22/03/2013 10:50:26 | ID: 64244

Les Grimsdell, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

The fuel flap on my Vauxhall Vectra hatchback has come loose. Although it is still secure I am worried I might lose it. Can anyone tell me how I can get at it in order to secure it?

Submitted: 21/03/2013 10:39:52 | ID: 63959

Jack Cronin, Norfolk

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

My 98 Vauxhall Vectra 2 litre diesel has just passed an MOT, but a few days later an engine management light came on and the next day it would not start. What could the problem be? (2 Litre Diesel)

Submitted: 21/03/2013 09:52:11 | ID: 66522

Cyril Monks, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Can anyone tell me what could have caused my Vauxhall Vectra`s fuel line to blow off and spray petrol all over the engine? Could it be the fuel regulator not returning excess fuel to the tank ie sending too much fuel to the engine? (2.5 cdx v6)

Submitted: 19/03/2013 09:02:29 | ID: 91576

Jack Flannels, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

I have a Vauxhall Vectra C 1.9 02-09 model. It makes a weird noise when revving above 1500rpm when in neutral. When the car is on the road it won’t drive properly and if I increase rpm, like above 1500-2000rpm, it will not pull as it does usually and power is decreased. It makes weird noises like winding loud noises (worn out noises) and does not pick up speed as usual. If I put it into neutral when it`s parked and if I turn it off, as it turns off the engine shakes and rumbles and the turbo makes an unusual sound as if it`s worn out. Does anyone have any ideas please? Thanks.

Submitted: 18/03/2013 09:31:07 | ID: 91744

Conor O`Hernn, County Londonderry

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Hello there. I was seeing what my Vauxhall Vectra could do on the motorway, then after hitting the turbo and going into high revs the car suddenly lost power and since then hasn’t regained it`s full power. The turbo is still there, it`s just not as strong as it was and there`s no real sound from the turbo. Would this have something to do with the air filter? It`s still a strong car and fast, it`s just lost that extra wee kick in the turbo. Any ideas? (elite)

Hi, check all vacuum pipes going to actuator and to egr valve actuator. They blow of under pressure, pipes might need to be replaced Jason from Cheshire

Submitted: 13/03/2013 12:21:00 | ID: 91619

James Rimmer, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

All the lights have gone on the back passenger side of my car. I have been told it my be the electrics... why might it happen? Plus is it costly to fix?

Submitted: 11/03/2013 17:26:42 | ID: 91541

Tamara Dawson, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

My Vauxhall Vectra keeps going into idle mode when it gets up to three thousand revs. I have had a brand new EGR valve put on but it is still going into idle mode but not as often, not sure what else would be causing this, any help would be so much help?

Hi, get an auto electrician, fairly cheap, about £40. I did when this happened to my Vectra. In the end it was fuel pump, or can be fuel rail sensor Melanie Birch from England

Get a boost pressure sensor, common Gary Dodd from Shropshire

Submitted: 11/03/2013 16:33:47 | ID: 91525

Roy Blohm, Durham

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

My Vauxhall Vectra`s climate control had deminished leaving a very poor cold air flow, so I changed the resistor to the blower motor but still no change. I was just about to consider buying a reconditioned blower motor when I thought that air filter looks a bit sooty so I changed that instead. The blower motor must have been in some kind of limp mode, the resistor slows the blower motor down to prevent the muck from the air filter getting blown all round the cab. I`m now driving round with only red hot air coming out and turning the climate control to cold with the air conditioning set has no effect, only red hot air is coming out. Can anyone help?

Hi Roy, I have also had a similar problem with my Vectra when he heater was blowing cold at the back of your engine where the heater pipes go into you matrix. There should be a round diaphram connecting the pipes together, this opens and closes. You could try changing this but be warned, it’s a bit of a pig and you could possibly get an air lock once you have done it! Hope this helps mate Derek Morton from England

Submitted: 05/03/2013 11:14:02 | ID: 90762

Matt Anderson, Warwickshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

I just bought a 54 plate Vauxhall Vectra and I can’t find the ok button for the dash board? Can anyone tell me where it is? I’ve tried everywhere I can think of it, could it be a button that’s stopped working? Thanks.

Mate, it’s on the end of the wipers lever... up down and ok John Bishop from England

Assuming you mean the display in the centre of the dash? Use the same large knob used to select options - push it in, it will click. This is OK Jon from Dorset

Submitted: 04/03/2013 09:43:52 | ID: 91145

Peter Brevin, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

I am having trouble starting my Vauxhall Vectra. There`s a double lock light on the dash. I locked and unlocked the car and then tried again. It worked okay but I`ve had this problem several times. Can anyone help please? Thanks.

Submitted: 01/03/2013 09:57:26 | ID: 91965

Gareth Price, Swansea

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

Having just bought this Vauxhall Vectra would anyone like to tell me where the oil and fuel filters are on the vehicle, not your normal steel canister type? (1.9 diesel 58 plate)

Submitted: 26/02/2013 09:23:25 | ID: 90840

David Duncan, Angus (Forfarshire)

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

My Vauxhall Vectra has been sitting for 18 months and I`ve just replaced the battery and filled it with fuel. It`s firing and running for 2 minutes then dying. It runs when I pour petrol into the carb but sounds like it`s getting starved of fuel. What could be causing this? (1.8 petrol)

Submitted: 26/02/2013 08:36:47 | ID: 90912

Jav, Northumberland

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Hi, I have a 2003 Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 and thought I had a faulty oil pressure switch, so I had it replaced with a GM original one, however the oil light still doesn’t come on. If I start the car and remove the cable from the oil pressure switch and connect it to the chassis or negative of the battery the oil light comes on. If I just turn on the ignition and I don’t start the engine and I earth the oil pressure light then the light doesn’t come on. It will only come on if the engine is started and the cable is earthed. The garage that fitted the switch says it looks like the problem lies somewhere else like the ECU. Can anyone shed any light on this and point me in the right direction? Thanks. (Elite)

Submitted: 25/02/2013 08:57:21 | ID: 90900

A Molloy, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra`s 2 front internal handles will not open the doors but both work from outside. I have removed the internal door panels and everything seems to be working so I`m looking for the cause of my problem. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Submitted: 22/02/2013 09:32:22 | ID: 90042

Teresa Evans, Shropshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

When I unlock and lock my Vauxhall Vectra I`ve noticed the side light bulb flickers very lightly, then goes off after about 30 seconds. This only happens when I lock or unlock it. Could it be a loose wire maybe?

Submitted: 19/02/2013 09:02:29 | ID: 90188

Paul Bebbington, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

Hi, my Vauxhall Vectra has suddenly started draining the battery, sometimes in a couple of hours. I`ve checked all lights and bulbs and they are all as they should be. I had a tow bar fitted 2 months ago. Also my alarm went off for the first time ever completely randomly and for no reason last night. I`m not sure how to diagnose what`s draining the battery or even where to start looking. I have resorted to disconnecting the battery when parked up for any length of time. Can anybody help? (1.9 cdti 120)

Check if boot light going off while tailgate shut, could be mercury swith in tailgate, not turning light off. I had that problem Andy from Yorkshire

That would be an alternator fault Craig King from England

Submitted: 18/02/2013 08:58:00 | ID: 79875

Asif Nadeem, Northumberland

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Hi, can anyone help? I have a Vauxhall Vectra C 2003 Elite model. I`ve just realised when I turn on the ignition my oil light does not come on. I have looked at the wire that goes on the oil pressure switch and when I earth that wire the light still does not come on, but if I earth the wire to the negative side of the battery the light comes on. So I replaced the oil pressure switch and tried it but still no joy. Has anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

Submitted: 18/02/2013 08:47:29 | ID: 90571

Frank Blacklock, Ayrshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

When my Vauxhall Vectra 51 plate is ticking over the temperature gauge goes up as normal. When I take it for a run the gauge goes down to cold and the heaters start to go cold as well. I checked the hoses and all are hot so water is getting around okay. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Had same trouble with my 4.0 Jag, changed the thermostat, it was stuck open. Solved mine Lee Frances from England

Submitted: 15/02/2013 16:32:35 | ID: 80872

Don Smith, Hampshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

When I start my Vauxhall Vectra in the morning the glow plug light comes on and all is well, but if I turn the engine off before it has got upto temperature the glow plug light does not come on and the car won’t start again for about six hours. I have had a new camshaft sensor fitted, cambelt water pump and I think I might need a new starter motor as well as I have kept trying to start it when it doesn’t want to start. Can anyone help please? (cdti Sri 120bhp)

Submitted: 14/02/2013 12:18:27 | ID: 90632

Jon, Carmarthenshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Can I add a normal push button switch to switch traction control on and off on my 2004 Vauxhall Vectra C? I`ve got the blue plug in the dash ready but no switch, so all I need to know is what wires do I use on the blue plug?

Submitted: 12/02/2013 09:44:29 | ID: 65778

Michael O`Brian, Northumberland

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Vectra c 2.2 Elite and the oil light won`t come on when I turn the key. I`ve just had a new switch fitted but still no joy. I tested the wire and the wire has power so I don`t know what to do. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 12/02/2013 08:26:39 | ID: 67219

Ken Jones, Wrexham

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

How do you adjust the camber angle of both front and rear wheels on my Vauxhall Vectra? The wheels are leaning inwards at the top and should be vertical. Thanks for any advice. (1.8 club)

The fronts are done by getting your tracking checked to stop uneven tyre wear... the rears are supposed to lean in at the top Tom Cruise from England

Check the bushes in the arm jack up the wheel and push and pull the top of the wheel, if it moves bushes are worn as they shouldn’t lean in a lot. If it’s visible then there’s wear. David Alcock from England

Submitted: 01/02/2013 16:14:55 | ID: 90096

Ken Bailes, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

I have a Vauxhall Vectra 2ltr turbo diesel. I`ve just had the fuel pump put on and diesel`s getting to the injectors but not firing. If I take the air pipe off and spray easy start up then she fires till you take the spray away, then it cuts out. What can I do?

Hi Ken , are you sure timing correct? And don’t use easy start mate; it can ruin a good engine and make them rely on it after only couple of times using it... sorry not into these cars yet as only just got mine so I’m learning! Going on other cars the pump gets timed with engine so make sure all correct and as long as you have the right pressure at right time it should work! Good luck Dave Aylmer from Gloucestershire

I think that they are chain driven not belt so not touching the chain = no timing prob but cheek that fuel is hitting all 4 injectors ie bleeding it again see where you get after this. Hope this works Craig R from Flintshire

Submitted: 31/01/2013 14:41:32 | ID: 90007