VAUXHALL VECTRA questions and answers: Page 13

VAUXHALL Vectra

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL VECTRA models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL VECTRA. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL VECTRA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Julie, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

Car has been misfiring and losing power going up hill. Light on dashboard indicates ’servicing’. Still to have service but put into garage for diagnostic test. Guy said needs new coil pack. Had that fitted this morning. But... service light came on again and its still losing power on hills. Could it be it just needs new sparks or....? Please help, I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks for taking the time.

Submitted: 29/11/2011 13:44:44 | ID: 75448

Terry Hines, Dorset

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

Hi, I am trying to do a favour for my 82yr old neighbour. He has a S/H V. Vectra. I am not sure of the year, REG: is NU57 GBE. He has lost his manual and cannot remember how to change the time! I am loathed to touch it, without the know-how. The clock is incorporated in a central screen resembling a Sat Nav. Is it possible you could give me some instructions on how this simple task can be under taken, before the owner tears his remaining hair out. Thanking you in anticipation.

The owner’s manual is available for free download from Vauxhall. http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/00_Home/Owner_Services/owners_manuals/vectra/VectraOwnersManual_Jul07.pdf Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 22/11/2011 08:59:49 | ID: 74415

Daniel Smith, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

My Vauxhall Vectra has no pressure in clutch? And I can’t put it in gear? What’s wrong with it an does it cost loads to fix?

On mine it happened a few months ago. Probably you need new clutch and cylinders (master+slave). Looking around £700 all in Paul from Berkshire

Submitted: 22/11/2011 08:44:59 | ID: 79683

Mark Drennan, County Antrim

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

My handbrake failed MOT. I got new brake pads, discs and handbrake shoes. Now, when I put the handbrake on it holds the car from going forward but not from rolling back so I can’t do an up hill start. Can anyone help?

Hi, my S reg Vectra did the same problem as yours. I had to fully replace the whole braking system and the problem stopped Ainsley Cairns from Ayrshire

Sound to me if you put new cables on a set the shoes up properly this will work. I’ve done this to my vectra b a few years back Matt from Essex

Submitted: 14/11/2011 16:15:28 | ID: 72406

Kerrie John, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

How do I check the oil on my Automatic 3.0 V6 CDTI Vauxhall Vectra? Many thanks.

The handbook says run the car for a few mins, switch off for 5 mins, remove dipstick, wipe, reinsert and check level. Seems a rave g clarkson from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 14/11/2011 15:57:09 | ID: 71987

Pauline Burns, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

There is a very strong smell of petrol but the car doesn’t appear to be leaking petrol from anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

Beyond a doubt, somewhere you have a fuel leak. If the smell is not discernable under the car, then have a sniff around the engine. The flexible rubber fuel hoses between the back of the engine bay and the top of the engine have been known to develop tiny splits which leak. Leaving aside the fire hazard of leaking into a hot engine, the petrol will evaporate very rapidly, so not leaving a puddle. This is just the right area for the ventilation system to suck the fumes into the passenger compartment Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 14/11/2011 14:03:48 | ID: 72211

Shahid Baig, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

Hi, I have a 58 reg SRI 1.9 TDI. Since I have got it the steering has been heavy and pulls to the left and right slightly. Kwik Fit have attempted tracking wheel balancing but the problem is still there. I have just got 4 new tyres and front discs and brake pads plus front digital alignment and tracking. But the steering still pulls to the left and its heavy. I even took it to the dealers and they said that there was nothing wrong with the car. Can anyone can help me, or advise?

Bent axel or damaged chassis Scott Scott from Ayrshire

It could be a right hand drive car Stan from Cheshire

Submitted: 14/11/2011 11:31:36 | ID: 72176

Geraint Jones, Argyllshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Hi, I have an almost totally dead instrument panel - no displays, no speedo, tacho, fuel or temp. EMS light comes on and goes off as normal when engine starts but the ’doors open’ warning light stays on permanently - even when I take the keys out and despite all the doors and hatch being properly closed. Engine starts and runs OK and the indicators work - but the repeaters on the panel don’t. Cheers for any help. (1.8l petrol)

Submitted: 14/11/2011 10:17:09 | ID: 72193

Chris Moxham, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Hi, can anyone tell me if there should be a nut on the pinch bolt on the stearing rack on a Vauxhall Vectra. Thanks!

Submitted: 11/11/2011 15:58:02 | ID: 84499

Barry Dray, Hertfordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

My car runs on 215/50W17 Michelin HP (91 load) tyres and the suggested pressures depending on who you contact vary considerably. Can anyone give me the definitive pressures? Many thanks, Barry. (3.2 automatic Elite)

41 psi Fiend Fiend from England

Submitted: 11/11/2011 10:14:54 | ID: 72058

Lee Thomas, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

On a Vauxhall Vectra, do you need relays for electric mirrors to work?

Submitted: 11/11/2011 10:13:39 | ID: 82551

Michael Turner, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

Hi, my power steering is playing up and the pump one minute makes that whining noise and then stops. I’ve also had a leak which I do believe maybe an o-ring in the return pipe. My main concern is that I have tightened everything up and refilled the system up but only a litre of dexron II fluid and the cv boot has blown up like a balloon. Why is this? All comments would be greatful. (Envoy 1.6)

Firstly, it won’t be the c.v boot that’s blowing up, it is the rack boot. There is an internal leak at the steering rack, it will have to be replaced, sorry John Thomas from Argyllshire

Submitted: 11/11/2011 09:46:00 | ID: 71966

Thomas Lunney, Dumbartonshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Vectra 1800cc, 2003 model. The radiator fan is not coming on - can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Submitted: 10/11/2011 15:39:31 | ID: 71948

Ayo Jonson Dele, Nigeria

Vauxhall Vectra 1999

Transmission oil is leaking out of my Opel Vectra around the gear box and then it loses power. I often turn off the ignition and start the car again. after it shows again and restart the whole process. What should I do?

Submitted: 09/11/2011 11:06:18 | ID: 71908

Simon Butt, Kent

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Hi all, after the torrential rain we had down here, my engine management light has stayed on and the engine is sort of misfiring. It doesn’t pick up straight away and makes a hell of a noise and the speed fluctuates. Could I have water in electrics or is it that the plugs need replacing? Please advise, thanks in advance. (1.6 LS)

It’s likely that you’ve got rainwater in one of the plugs which connect the engine sensors to the wiring loom. If you ask a mechanic to plug the car into a diagnostics computer, they will be able to tell you what is making the engine computer unhappy (and thus turning on the fault light). In all likelihood the computer will say it’s not seeing one particular sensor - unplug, blow the water out of the connection and plug it back in. It’s vanishingly unlikely that rain has caused your spark-plugs to need replacing Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 09/11/2011 08:19:07 | ID: 71763

Theresa Shaw, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I am looking to buy a Vauxhall Vectra but am a little worried by the gear stick. The stick does not self center and when I push it left or right (in between gears) it stays off center? It drives well and gear changes are smooth but there is play in the stick. Is this a sign of a larger problem or is it just that gear sticks stick? (Energy)

Changing the subject slightly I’m sure I came across this problem when enquiring about how to change the gear knob for a custom built one. It suggested holding the gear stick firmly because you may snap the plastic supports which directs you to each individual gear. I couldn’t tell you if this expensive to rectify or even if I am correct Antony Chadburn from England

Submitted: 08/11/2011 15:33:34 | ID: 71771

Shane Male, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1996

Does anyone know what the coolant capacity, coolant type and cooling system operating pressure is on a 1996 Vauxhall Vectra?

Submitted: 08/11/2011 08:12:43 | ID: 75057

Brian Ukbrit, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

The heater resister has stopped working in my Vauxhall Vectra so I only have my heater blower on number 4 setting, 1 to 3 do not work. How do I locate the resistor so I can change it. Many thanks in advance.

http://www.blower-motor-resistor.co.uk/vauxhall-vectra-c-blower-motor-resistor.html That should help Al from Wales

Submitted: 07/11/2011 10:26:03 | ID: 69023

Derek Findlay, Angus (Forfarshire)

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

Does anyone know at what mileage the timing belt should be changed at on a 1.8-litre Vauxhall Vectra?

100,000 miles, as told by Vauxhall dealership when asked the same question Steve Collins from England

Around 50 thou first change then 40 thou between changes Bob from Wales

Submitted: 07/11/2011 09:26:37 | ID: 84556

Dave Rees, Devon

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I have a 2003 Vauxhall Vectra 2-litre DTI and am unable to engage the cruise control. It did work then started playing up - now no joy at all . Any ideas please?

Likely to be the switches on the end of the stalk. The cruise-off switch sticks half-way down. See my post on VXON: http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?threads/cruise-control-function.130518/#post-2551357 It can also be the clutch pedal switch (try lifting the clutch pedal with your toes whilst trying to engage cruise), and can be the brake-pedal switch (but you’d have your brake lights on all the time if this were the case or alternatively no brake lights at all. The cruise control system requires that you have both these switches functioning, that you have applied the brakes at least once since starting the engine (so it knows the brake pedal switch works OK) and that your speed is in excess of 30km/h. I have heard that the contacts where the stalk plugs into the steering column can tarnish, but I think this is very much the minority of cases Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 07/11/2011 08:13:45 | ID: 84156

Jay Williams, Bridgend

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

I am having a problem with my 2-litre Vauxhall Vectra SRi, the TC and ABS lights stay on and I lose speed - any ideas on a quick fix? And where are the sensors?

Submitted: 02/11/2011 11:49:48 | ID: 84147

Deven Amassee, Mauritius

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Hello, can anyone tell me how to replace the bulbs/lamps on dashboard, where I have the odometer etc.. What are and how to remove the car components?

I had the same problem. You will need to take all the dash out starting with the glove compartment then the vents at the side (put in a small screw driver to spise them out) and you will find screws behind. I must say it’s not an easy task but if you manage it, check all your lights before putting everything back. Good luck Gordon Kenny from England

Submitted: 27/10/2011 14:51:44 | ID: 84023

Kevin Spencer, Caerphilly

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

When I am driving my Vauxhall Vectra it judders, just like it is missing. Has anyone else experienced this in a Vectra and can possible offer some advice or give a reason as to waht it is?

Submitted: 27/10/2011 11:10:18 | ID: 84075

Edward Cockburn, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

Why is my Vectra making a wining noise but once the clutch is dipped the noise stops? Has anyone else experienced this?

By the sounds of it, I would say your clutch slave cylinder is on its way out. When they are worn, they whine until you put clutch pedal down and they are pushed against clutch plate then they go quiet Graeme Lee from england

Submitted: 27/10/2011 09:28:29 | ID: 83981

Iain, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

On my Vauxhall Vectra CDTI 1.9-litre SRI, a spanner light comes on when I start the engine from cold and goes out after about 4 minutes. Doesn’t do this when I start from warm (eg. car has run for several miles in the last two hours). Performance is fine at all times. Having read the manual I drained the fuel filter and no water was present. Anyone out there got any ideas?

Try your glow plugs. After trial and error that is what sorted my exact same problem Lee Jackson from Cheshire

Submitted: 26/10/2011 15:13:58 | ID: 84001

Kev Mate, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

The parking sensor light is flashing inside my Vauxhall Vectra when the car is parked. Could this flatten the battery?

Submitted: 26/10/2011 14:39:29 | ID: 83474

David Rodwell, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 1996

One of my Vauxhall Vectra dashboard bulbs has gone (right side of fuel gauge). I have never had a Vectra before but I need to replace it. Has anyone any ideas?

Go to this website www.vvoc.com and look up the ’how to’ section, and look under ’led replacement dash lights’. There’s one with pics. I know it’s for led lights but it shows/tells clearly. Hope this helps D Jackson from Scotland

Submitted: 26/10/2011 10:18:51 | ID: 83292

Richard, Norfolk

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

On a Vauxhall Vectra, what is the switch with a running man with ))))) used for!?

Hi Richard, the running man symbol is your car alarm. Your car is alarmed automatically, activating the switch cancels the alarm. I use it when I leave my do in the car otherwise his moving in the car would trigger the alarm. For any dog lovers out there, the dog is not left anymore than 10-15 mins. I wouldn’t recommend using it if you leave the wife in the car Duncan Clark from Sutherland

Submitted: 25/10/2011 15:46:40 | ID: 82758

Paul Domeney, Northamptonshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2009

When I put the childlock on the back left door of my Vauxhall Vectra, the 2 bolts came down. On my front left and back left door the bolts were locked down so I couldn’t shut my 2 left hand-side doors. I tried doing many things but the bolts wouldn’t go back up. Is there a answer for this?

Submitted: 24/10/2011 11:28:28 | ID: 83606

Mick Woods, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1997

A yellow cog shape with an exclamation mark in the centre light has come on the dashboard and I know have slow accelaration with my Vauxhall Vectra. Can anyone help or advise?

Submitted: 24/10/2011 09:17:51 | ID: 83623

Tim Barny, Warwickshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

My coolant warning light on my Vauxhall Vectra keeps flashing when started from cold. Then goes off and stays off - there is enough water in car. I have just had the water pump and timing belt changed. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Submitted: 21/10/2011 15:17:06 | ID: 83025

Steve Burgess, Norfolk

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Does anyone know how you get rid of condensation from the inside of a 2007 Vauxhall Vectra headlamp?

You could try using a hair dryer on low heat until you find out why it is doing it, you might have to buy a new headlamp Gordon Kenny from Lancashire

I took the light out of the car and held a hair dryer on low heat for 15 mins to dry it out, it has been fine since then Mark Cole from Derbyshire

Mine did the same, dry it with a hairdryer on low setting then pop a satchet of silica gel into the lamp, mine doesn’t do it anymore :) Mary Corrigan from Cheshire

Submitted: 20/10/2011 11:43:21 | ID: 77967

Andrew Sykes, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Hi. I’m going abroad next month for a short holiday. I’ve heard that there is a switch on the back of the headlights to adjust the dip so it is legal abroad. Can anyone confirm this? Is it easy to do? I don’t fancy sticking them stickers on the lights and with no guide lines it seems hard to do. Thanks in advance for any help.

Submitted: 19/10/2011 15:32:44 | ID: 82725

Carl Conway, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

The computer on my Vauxhall Vectra is really dim - is there any way of brightening it up?

Submitted: 19/10/2011 15:27:26 | ID: 82775

Terry, Gloucestershire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Can anyone tell me where the oil pressure sensor is on my 2002 Vauxhall Vectra 2200 SRi? The oil light does not come on when the ignition is switched on and I think the sensor needs replacing. Thank you for your help?

Submitted: 17/10/2011 11:29:32 | ID: 82568

Paul Ostins, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Does anyone know where the breather pipe is located on a 2.2 Vauxhall Vectra FYI SRI? Thank you.

Submitted: 14/10/2011 11:27:57 | ID: 81790

Denis Ohiggins, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

It’s hard to start in mornings but once started, it’s okay. (19 cdti 8 valve)

Change your heater glowplugs. They are about £30 a set Gordon Kenny from England

Submitted: 11/10/2011 15:26:51 | ID: 72683

David Haydon, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

When should the cam belt be changed on this model? Thank you.

Every 40k John Hough from Surrey

Submitted: 10/10/2011 11:09:12 | ID: 81651

John Robertson, Ayrshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

How do I get the brake sensor light off without replacing the sensor? (1.9 cdti)

Submitted: 07/10/2011 09:09:31 | ID: 81658

Jason Cowling, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

I have ’04 Vectra 19tdi sri 150bhp, when I put the key in to start there’s nothing I have to wait for the engine managment light to come on then it might start. Some days I can be sat 30mins before it will start, I’ve had a new wiring loom fitted because Pentagon said that’s what it needed but it’s still the same. Any help please? I’m at my wits end with it.

I don’t know but mine has started doing the same. I can bump it off but it won’t start off the key but I don’t know what is wrong with it. Can anyone tell me please? Jamie Brown from England

ECU about to die, sell it NOW. Otherwise get ready to replace diesel pump/ecu. Around £1,200 from Vauxhall Paul from Berkshire

I don’t think the advice of selling is fair to the person that will buy and inherit the problem Keith Richards from Rhondda Cynon Taff

Submitted: 06/10/2011 09:16:38 | ID: 81575