VAUXHALL VECTRA questions and answers: Page 13

VAUXHALL Vectra

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL VECTRA models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL VECTRA. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL VECTRA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Kelly, Kent

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Anyone help? Having loss of power, normally only goes 25MPH and then Car and Spanner symbol appears on the dash. Manual refers to Transmission and that’s it! Getting more frequent and we need the car. Any help would be appreciated. (2.2 Diesel)

Could be a faulty engine sensor. I am afraid a diagnostic test is your only solution at this point. Also, have a quick look at your breather pipes Karl from England

Your car is going into Limp Home mode. My van did it when it rained. The garage has put a guard under sump so water does not spray up behind engine and this cured my problem Brian McCleary from Perthshire

Agreed with other answer, do a self diagnostic test. Sit in car left foot on brake as far down as poss, right foot on acc pedal as far down as poss. Put key in, turn to no.2 position (don’t release pedals) and watch dashboard. If the fault is in the ecu, they will come up either 000701 or may flash a certain number of times. Count these flashes and note down numbers. Fault codes available on vectra websites. Hope this helps Dave Kerby from Hampshire

Submitted: 25/01/2012 15:38:45 | ID: 73961

Alex Connelly, West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Can anyone tell me the diameter and how many splines are at the top of a Vauxhall Vectra. 1.8 sri 2007 steering column?

Submitted: 22/01/2012 17:08:24 | ID: 73033

Gareth Barlow, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Hi, is there anyone who could tell me what;s wrong with the heater on my Vauxhall Vectra? It stays on when I turn the car off and when the car is on and the heaters are turned off it’s on then as well. My car is a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti year 04/05.

Submitted: 21/01/2012 23:43:32 | ID: 72928

Barry Boulter, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Does anyone know the toe in toe out setting for my Vauxhall Vectra please? As I’ve just bought a track board to set tracking.

With the vectra c it needs to be set up properly on a hunter machine or similar. Vectra c has toe and camber on rear and toe and camber on front which needs to be right in order to stop car crabbing up the road Vectra c man from Essex

Submitted: 21/01/2012 23:23:32 | ID: 72570

Peter Ferguson, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

My Vauxhall Vectra, when in second gear the engine begins to die then runs normally for a while. It has started happening more frequently in last 2 days. What could cause this? (1.8i Executive)

Submitted: 20/01/2012 14:21:01 | ID: 72452

Nigel Butler, Norfolk

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

The oil light on my 2003 Vauxhall Vectra flickers on when warm and idling. Where is the oil pressure switch located on this model? (2.0 dti)

Submitted: 20/01/2012 13:53:15 | ID: 72493

Barry Oliver, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1997

I have a v6 Vauxhall Vectra. It starts first time when cold but once it gets warm it cuts out and won’t start again for about 30 mins. Anybody have any ideas why this might be?

Possibly failure of the engine temperature sensor (CTS - coolant temp sensor) leading the engine computer to think that the engine’s cold and thus causigng over-fuelling - think leaving the choke pulled out on a car from years ago Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 19/01/2012 15:32:23 | ID: 72145

Wayne Gifford, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

How many miles does a Vauxhall Vectra 2000 140 sri do on lpg?

Submitted: 19/01/2012 14:16:39 | ID: 75869

Joe Newbold, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Where is the resistor heater pack situated in a Vauxhall Vectra 2002 dti sxi?

Submitted: 17/01/2012 13:42:59 | ID: 72078

Colin, Lothians

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

My Vauxhall Vectra was driving okay to work. Was left for 10 hours and on return keyfob would not work. Battery was changed and failed to work. Car was taken back home on back of recovery truck. Opened car with spare key no problem. Car would not start and a whining noise, presumably from the starting motor, could be heard. It was then free-wheeled into the driveway. Tried a further twice to start without success. There are no warning lights on the dashboard nor were there any before I parked prior to going to work. I heard no untoward noises coming from the engine or signs of anything snapping. Oil levels appear normal. A mate has had a quick look at it and feels that there is no compression from the engine whilst trying to start it. Will have to strip it down to check cylinder head etc. Seems strange after the car was driving okay and then when the key fob ran out of battery I cannot start it. Could this be an immobiliser problem? Any ideas? (1.9 Cdti Sri 150 bhp)

I had a similar problem with my Vectra, turned out to be immobilisor. I disconnected the battery completely, charged it up overnight. Put it back and it all worked fine from then on. Seems total disconection reset everything. Try this first as I was being quoted silly money by garages to put this right Keith from England

Submitted: 16/01/2012 08:20:26 | ID: 80902

Graeme Gibb, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

I have a 2-litre diesel Vauxhall Vectra X plate recently when my abs light came on. I get a perfect brake when it goes off but when it is on I get a brake that is hard and feels like it’s crunching. What should I do?

I’d advise you to book a garage diagnostic check on ABS ECU independent garages in my area, did it for £40. it’ll be a possibly three things: 1) abs wheel sensors (unlikely) 2) ABS reluctor rings situated on CV joint/shaft (more likely). These can be seen on full lock behind wheel and brake disc with castle type ridges. 3) ABS ECU (again, more likely). Best getting a refurb job for approx £200 from http://www.actronics.eu/en/ My problem was number two - ABS rings. I saw the rings on full lock and they were rusted and in between one it was cracked, thus the fault lay there. CV joints approx £40 each from Euro Car Parts. I removed ABS fuse until fault fixed. Note: it stopped any ABS braking and watch it in the wet and knocks speedo off too. Enjoy Mr Smith from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 13/01/2012 16:10:23 | ID: 70466

David Hook, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1995

Please can you tell me where is the starting motor situated on a 1995 Vauxhall Vectra?

Submitted: 13/01/2012 14:55:38 | ID: 68545

Ian Diddams, Wiltshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1997

Two oddities with my 1997 Vauxhall Vectra Ls 16v 1799cc 5dr Estate (Petrol) 1) Come winter the battery "always" flats overnight. No lights left on etc - it’s just flat in the morning. Only during winter though. 2) I went to jump start it this morning and its very sluggish to start then coughing and spluttering badly... and the hazard flasher light is not flashing but is on solid red when this is happening? I pushed it in and the hazards don’t flash then, the light just stays solid red (that’s the light on the hazard button, not the hazards/indicators themselves). Cheers for any thoughts!

The first thing I would ask is how old is the battery on your car? As like humans, performance degrades with age if not kept in peak condition. On the colder mornings, it’s more apparent that it’s a problem and can be down to a number of things. If you only do short runs and have lots of add-ons going like sat-nav, mobile phone charger etc then this is drawing more current. Invest in a heavy duty battery (usually a four or five year guarantee) and your problems SHOULD disappear. Failing that, get hold of a battery charger and charge it from the mains (bit time consuming) if it fails to help then it’s a good indication that the internals of the battery are damaged Richard Sunderland from Dorset

Submitted: 10/01/2012 10:19:25 | ID: 70298

Craig White, Wrexham

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I have a Vauxhall Vectra sri 1.8 52 reg, fuel and spark OK. It does start on first crank in the morning, but for no longer than 3 seconds and then cuts out. And after that it does not start again. Any idea, thanks.

Submitted: 09/01/2012 13:51:46 | ID: 68348

Harry Delpeche, London

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Two questions 1) Why does the fan control speed resistor keep burning out? Fan only works on high speed (I’m on my fourth unit); 2) What does ’’insp’ mean? It keeps coming up when I start my 2002 Vectra.

"insp" on your dash light means it needs a service. The garage will turn it off but it’s not a problem. Nowt to worry about, just wants servicing bud Stuart Tredgold from Yorkshire

The reason your resistor keeps blowing is because the rain water drain grommet below the pollen filter is blocked which in turn lets water into the blower motor. The danger is that if the motor has had water in it then it could be partially seized which in turn may cause the repaired unit to fail prematurely. To unblock follow this link. http://www.blower-motor-resistor.co.uk/vauxhall-vectra-c-blower-motor-resistor.html - Good luck Al from New Zealand

Submitted: 06/01/2012 08:16:33 | ID: 84725

Debra Bath, Hertfordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

I can’t move my driver’s seat in to a safe for driving position as the cable has broken. This has only just happened and my MOT is due and will fail, how do I fix it or what is best to do please?

Submitted: 05/01/2012 15:49:41 | ID: 84714

Gavin Magan, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

My front wipers on my Vauxhall Vectra have just stopped in the centre of the windscreen, yet I can hear the motor moving, what’s happened?

If both wipers are doing what you describe it’s probably the ilttle gearbox screwed to the wiper motor (under where the wiper arms are). If it’s one wiper only, then the connecting rod (long metal bar with a ball / socket on each end which snaps onto the back of the wiper arms has worn and fallen off Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 03/01/2012 19:47:37 | ID: 82854

Shona Clark, Ayrshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

My oil light came on last night so I stopped on a flat surface, turned off the engine for 40 minutes, then used the dip stick to check. It was fine, sitting between max and min, so I took off the oil cap and looked. It smelled of petrol. I screwed it back on and I also checked the water and it was fine, along with antifreeze and there were no leaks. When I started to drive home the car sounded very rough. Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong with it?

Submitted: 03/01/2012 14:29:05 | ID: 84603

Gultasim Hussain, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

The back screen heater for my Vauxhall Vectra does not work. I need to change the relay, but I do not know which one it is I have tro replace. Does anyone know?

Submitted: 23/12/2011 12:15:58 | ID: 81401

Emmie Hornby, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

How do you turn to the CD player off safe mode in a 2006 Vauxhall Vectra?

Submitted: 22/12/2011 08:37:45 | ID: 73429

Mohammed Farouk, Warwickshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Hi, when I start my car up I get a squealing sound that I can hear, but it goes away after about 5 mins, or when the car gets warm. Could anyone please advise or help? Thanks.

The squealing could be a worn utility drive belt or wrongly tensioned. The other area could be your alternator that is driven by this same belt when the alternator bearings are worn. Open your bonnet and push the longest stretch of belt, it should be able to be pushed in about 1cm, if it goes further than that it will need tensioned up by adjusting the alternator bracket Mike Butterworth from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 20/12/2011 13:49:51 | ID: 80970

Stevie McDermott, County Antrim

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Recently my Vauxhall Vectra’s lights on the dashboard have been flickering on and off. I have also suffered a loss off power steering, with the ABS light staying on. My battery light also stays on and the car won’t start. Is this just a battery or something more? Any help guys? I hate my car! (2.0 DTI)

Alternator or crank arm going mate, less than £200 should fix it Slim Shakey from County Antrim

I’ve got the same problem on my mate’s car. I’ve changed alternator but it still won’t start unless you jump it, but then all the lights on dash light up (battery, abs lights, plus power steering and car with spanner though it lights up as well). Then cuts out after a bit. But I’ve been told it’s a bad earth Matthew Corser from England

Submitted: 20/12/2011 10:13:52 | ID: 74547

Ami Khan, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Where is the transmission fluid dip stick located on a 2005 Vauxhall Vectra?

Submitted: 19/12/2011 15:37:57 | ID: 80767

Alex Hill, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I have a Vauxhall Vectra that had become hydro locked after a egr changed. All three of the rear cylinders were filled with water. However I have no idea why. I did not change the egr myself. The front bank is clear and dry. Does anyone know how this might have happened? (3.0 v6 cdti)

Submitted: 19/12/2011 13:55:44 | ID: 80936

Ainsley Cairns, Ayrshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

Hi, how do I fix the front lights on my Vauxhall Vectra? They look like they are looking to the side. You can see the beams to the side. And does anyone know why, when I drive along a less smooth road, I get a metallic sounding click. Thanks.

Submitted: 16/12/2011 09:31:07 | ID: 80670

Tony Harding, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

My Vectra-B dash cuts out, speedo freezes, mileage goes out, clock disappears, radio cuts out and enters safe mode, indicators stop working (dash and external), external headlights and brake lights still work. Any ideas? The rear window heater doesn’t work either, could it all be down to the drivers rear light panel? There may have a poor earth as there is a clicking sound when the indicators are used that wasn’t there before. I have had trouble since I replaced a bulb in the summer. (1.8 GLS Saloon)

I have exactly the same problem on a Vectra C. It appears to be caused by the Body Control Module (BCM) shutting down as it controls all of these things. It still isn’t fixed despite twice going into a garage that specialises in electrical problems. It may be that the BCM needs replacing but that’s expensive and the garage thinks the fault lies elsewhere. The BCM is accessed via the glovebox. We also had a dodgy connection on the rear lighting panel (due to corrosion) and replaced it. It still has the same problems; hitch occurs typically every few minutes, whether the engine is running or not. One web site suggested an alternator fault causing overcharging but this seems unlikely as it occurs when the engine is not running. Good luck - please post back here if you find the solution Paul Skirrow from Suffolk

Submitted: 15/12/2011 09:12:24 | ID: 80849

Peter Brightman, Hampshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Not happy. Wiper blades got tangled up last night. I managed to get home and was told that it is the mechanism. Anybody got any ideas?

Had the same problem with mine, lift up the wiper covering which was a struggle but I managed to get it up enough to get my fingers underneath and put a couple of cable ties onto the arm which had come loose. That was about three years ago and had no problem with it since. Vauxhall wanted loads of money for a new mechanism Al from Hampshire

Submitted: 14/12/2011 09:07:40 | ID: 74514

David, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I topped up with new oil last night and got 5 miles then the car became groggy. All of a sudden the engine started revving very high on its own then it quit. The oil level is at the top but not showing overfull. Can I drain this myself or does this sound as if it’s in the ’broken stages’? Please help!!! (2.2SRI)

Submitted: 14/12/2011 09:02:28 | ID: 79464

Kevin Withers, Gloucestershire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

My Vauxhall Vectra’s power steering has now failed, and this is the fourth time since I bought the car. Every time before it was fixed under warranty. This time they want me to pay. The car has only done 36,000 miles - 4 steering racks etc in that time - do you think there is a fault with the parts? (1.8 Exculsive)

Submitted: 14/12/2011 08:59:36 | ID: 80826

Amanda, Denbighshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra’s key will not turn in the ignition - it just doesn’t move. It 1st did it last night but suddenly started after 30 mins of trying. Today nothing. I have owned the car for 4 years and it’s never done it before. Does anyone know of this problem or how to fix it? (LS Automatic)

Turn steering wheel while turning key! Steering lock is prob on! Bob from Pembrokeshire

Submitted: 13/12/2011 11:57:32 | ID: 80809

Jane Smith, Hertfordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

After bump starting the car, a Vauxhall Vectra 2002, the steering became really heavy. I managed to get it to a garage and they have told me that bump starting can often affect the power steering. I now need a new power steering pump which is going to cost around £700. Has anyone else had this problem and can you give me some idea of how much the complete job should cost. I am also trying to get the part number of the pump needed as a friend may be able to get me one a a reduced price. Any help would be much appreciated as I know nothing about cars!

Submitted: 12/12/2011 09:30:19 | ID: 79617

Ben, Monmouthshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

My Vauxhall Vectra won’t start. The engine is making a clicking noise and the exhaust gases light is flashing. Any ideas? It worked fine last night.

Submitted: 12/12/2011 08:59:03 | ID: 79567

Gordon Kenny, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate cut out on me and now it won’t start. I have bled the injectors, had a new crank shaft censor fitted, changed all the rubber tubing. I have tried tow starting it, the fuel filter is full and it its trying to start but flattens the battery. Can anybody help?

Replace the egr valve, they are very common. It’s by the battery on bulk of the head Ashley Jones from Blaenau Gwent

Is your fuel pump running? Lift rear seat and listen for whirr with ignition on. If not, check fuel pump relay (purple) under hood. There are two. One is fuel pump relay and the other is fuel injector relay Sparks from Worcestershire

Submitted: 09/12/2011 11:43:25 | ID: 79424

Martin Davies, Caerphilly

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra is very lumpy when ticking over. I have changed the throttle body and the plugs but still the same does anyone know what it could be?

Submitted: 07/12/2011 11:36:30 | ID: 79361

Tony Lilliman, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Can anyone help? When I turn my lights on my heater fan turns off, and all the dash and interior lights go off. Also, if I open the doors the fan goes off, it has been suggested that it’s the thermal fuse on the heater, does anyone know for sure?

Submitted: 06/12/2011 14:22:22 | ID: 79346

Amy T, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

My Vauxhall Vectra’s blower has gone today for the 5th time in two years - having only put the repaired resistor back in this morning! It is getting very frustrating now and expensive!!! The pollen filter is new, the drainage channels are not blocked? Any other ideas? I can’t afford to keep forking out £40 per resistor as I have been told by an electrical car parts place that the resistor is a Vauxhall only part. I have found blower-resistor.co.uk - who have fixed it - does anyone know what wattage resistor it should be?

Remove the blower fan/ motor and check that it rotates freely with no resistance. If not, it will draw too much current and overheat (and destroy) the resistor. It’s possible to oil the motor bearings to restore free operation, and then all should be good forever (or until next time the pollen filter or drain gets clogged and fills it with water again) Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 05/12/2011 15:43:13 | ID: 76134

Vince Johnman, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

The service light on my Vauxhall Vectra comes on for 2 seconds when the car is started in cold weather. Has anyone else experienced this? (2-litre dti Club)

I have the same problem, need a fix :( Sathit Suwannakul from England

Submitted: 05/12/2011 15:36:13 | ID: 76088

Lee Jones, Berkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

Hello. My interior light has stop working when you open the door, unlock the car through the remote key, or light switch on the dashboard. I have checked the door switch, replaced the light switch which you can have it on in the car, checked the fuses, all are OK but still no interior light. Now I am stuck, can anyone help?

Try the bulb. Back to basics Bob from Pembrokeshire

Submitted: 01/12/2011 08:52:01 | ID: 75885

Craig Withey, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

There is an orange light on constantly on the dashboard of my Vauxhall Vectra, in the shape of a circle with 3 black lines either side of it. I don’t think it’s engine management as it is the shape of a wheel and there sometimes is a horrible whistling noise coming from the right hand side of the car. But goes when I touch the brake. Has anybody any idea what this symbol means?

This is the brake pad sensor and you need to change renew your brake pads Sparky Anderson from Devon

You need new brake pads. That’s all Paul from Berkshire

Submitted: 01/12/2011 08:22:23 | ID: 75859

Rachel P, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Why does the heater fan in my Vauxhall Vectra only work on full speed but not on any of the other lower settings?

There will be a resistor pack to control the fan speed. This has failed, it will be a main dealer part only, about £25. You could ask them where it is when you pick it up, they can be under the bonnet or close to the fan so that fresh air cools it Paul McG from Northern Ireland

http://www.blower-motor-resistor.co.uk/vauxhall-vectra-c-blower-motor-resistor.html Will show you exactly where it is. Maplin may be able to fix it for about a fiver :0) Al from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 30/11/2011 16:19:24 | ID: 76054