VAUXHALL VECTRA questions and answers: Page 13

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL VECTRA models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL VECTRA. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL VECTRA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Don Smith, Hampshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

When I start my Vauxhall Vectra in the morning the glow plug light comes on and all is well, but if I turn the engine off before it has got upto temperature the glow plug light does not come on and the car won’t start again for about six hours. I have had a new camshaft sensor fitted, cambelt water pump and I think I might need a new starter motor as well as I have kept trying to start it when it doesn’t want to start. Can anyone help please? (cdti Sri 120bhp)

Submitted: 14/02/2013 12:18:27 | ID: 90632

Jon, Carmarthenshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Can I add a normal push button switch to switch traction control on and off on my 2004 Vauxhall Vectra C? I`ve got the blue plug in the dash ready but no switch, so all I need to know is what wires do I use on the blue plug?

Submitted: 12/02/2013 09:44:29 | ID: 65778

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Vectra c 2.2 Elite and the oil light won`t come on when I turn the key. I`ve just had a new switch fitted but still no joy. I tested the wire and the wire has power so I don`t know what to do. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 12/02/2013 08:26:39 | ID: 67219

Ken Jones, Wrexham

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

How do you adjust the camber angle of both front and rear wheels on my Vauxhall Vectra? The wheels are leaning inwards at the top and should be vertical. Thanks for any advice. (1.8 club)

The fronts are done by getting your tracking checked to stop uneven tyre wear... the rears are supposed to lean in at the top Tom Cruise from England

Check the bushes in the arm jack up the wheel and push and pull the top of the wheel, if it moves bushes are worn as they shouldn’t lean in a lot. If it’s visible then there’s wear. David Alcock from England

Submitted: 01/02/2013 16:14:55 | ID: 90096

Ken Bailes, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

I have a Vauxhall Vectra 2ltr turbo diesel. I`ve just had the fuel pump put on and diesel`s getting to the injectors but not firing. If I take the air pipe off and spray easy start up then she fires till you take the spray away, then it cuts out. What can I do?

Hi Ken , are you sure timing correct? And don’t use easy start mate; it can ruin a good engine and make them rely on it after only couple of times using it... sorry not into these cars yet as only just got mine so I’m learning! Going on other cars the pump gets timed with engine so make sure all correct and as long as you have the right pressure at right time it should work! Good luck Dave Aylmer from Gloucestershire

I think that they are chain driven not belt so not touching the chain = no timing prob but cheek that fuel is hitting all 4 injectors ie bleeding it again see where you get after this. Hope this works Craig R from Flintshire

Submitted: 31/01/2013 14:41:32 | ID: 90007

Conor Keating, Ireland

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

When my Vauxhall Vectra is stationary and the engine`s running, a smell of engine fumes comes into the car through the heater and this is only happening since the turbo went and had to be replaced. I was wondering if this is a major problem and how is it fixed? Thank you.

Submitted: 31/01/2013 14:23:07 | ID: 89979

Colin Slater, Gloucestershire

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

How do you change the passenger side front left indicator bulb on my Vauxhall Vectra? I have had a look and can find the covers for the dip and high beam but can’t see it for the indicator. Do I have to take the light out or can it be done without?

Submitted: 28/01/2013 08:52:41 | ID: 89585

Paul, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

I recently changed my brake light bulb on the nearside of my Vauxhall Vectra. After fitting the bulb correctly and starting the car none of the lights on the nearside cluster will work. There is a bleeping coming from the cockpit when I turn the indicator etc on and the warning signs on my console now show faults with all lights on the nearside. Can anyone suggest what to do?

Hi Paul, are you sure the electric plug on good and solid? Try little WD40 in plug, if they were all working before it should work now, the plug should only fit correctly in 1 position. Hope it is a simple thing like this! Dave Aylmer from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 28/01/2013 08:40:59 | ID: 89570

Margaret Smith, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

I have two problems with my 51 reg Vauxhall Vectra and would appreciate help. Firstly my cigarette lighter fitting is jammed in and I can’t use my sat nav or anything else. I`m not sure if it needs a new fuse but I don’t know where that is as I can’t see the symbol for it on the panel under the steering wheel? The next problem is the heater, or lack of heat. The car will heat up with the engine running and it’s stationary, but when you drive it the heating goes off and only gives out cold air. I was going to buy one of those plug in car heaters but as I’ve not got the cigarette lighter socket working either I’m kind of stuck and freezing. Can anybody help please?

Hi Margret, check your coolant level as when low the 1st thing to stop is the heater as engine keeps all the water in it, is the pressure cap on tight? If letting pressure out water won’t circulate around heater, even when low on water it will warm up when stationary and drop temp when move off. As for the lighter I would go to breakers and try get another to see if that works if fuse gone they normally just stay out not in, maybe build up on lighter has jammed it try giving a good tug. Regards Dave Aylmer from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 24/01/2013 10:49:57 | ID: 89324

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I recently bought a Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 elite 2003 model. When I start it up it has an intermittent rattle coming from the timing chain end when it is cold, but when it warms up it`s okay, no rattle. I had the alternator looked at and that seems fine. Can anybody please help?

If that rattle is from the chain there’s a very good chance it will fail in the very near future. Don’t think because the rattle stops it isn’t the chain. If you drive it and it breaks at speed you could be looking at a complete engine as they can damage the bottom end as well as the top. Get it checked asap BigG from Kent

you need to get the pully's that the chain goes round changing as they've worn hence the rattling. m jones from Shropshire

Submitted: 22/01/2013 14:07:06 | ID: 89076

Lynn Harvie, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Hi, last week my Vauxhall Vectra was giving high revs with very little power. I took it to a garage who said it needed a new clutch. Since the day I got it back it is making a grinding noise when turning left and I’m hearing every gear change. Please can anyone help?

Hi my Vectra makes the same noise and I can feel the grinding. I think it needs some gear box oil. Phil Morris from Vale of Glamorgan

Submitted: 22/01/2013 11:47:32 | ID: 89107

Karen, Ireland

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 tdi. You could be driving down the road and it cuts out totally, no warning at all. No lights come on the dash and the only way you can get it going is with a tow and away it goes for a while. Has anyone got any idea what this could be?

If you haven’t done so try getting fuel filter changed as it could be gunged up. Thats the first thing I would do first BigG from Kent

Submitted: 22/01/2013 09:27:28 | ID: 89070

Luke, Norfolk

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

My Vauxhall Vectra`s speedo, rev counter and fuel gauge do not come on when you turn the car on. Everything else is okay but it does not register the dials. Could it be a fuse?

On board computer not fully kicked in, just turn ignition off a couple of seconds and restart the car, everything should work Dave Bailey from England

Submitted: 21/01/2013 14:39:42 | ID: 67276

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I just recantly bought a Vauxhall Vectra c 2.2 elite 2003. When the engine is cold it makes an intermittent rattle but this disappears when the car warms up. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 21/01/2013 11:44:11 | ID: 88927

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

My 2003 Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 Elite has an intermittent rattle when the car is cold but this disappears when it reaches normal operating temperature. Can anyone please help?

Submitted: 21/01/2013 10:29:08 | ID: 68136

Lee Lucas, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

My Vauxhall Vectra 56 plate Sri drove to work fine. When I went to pull away after work as soon as I lifted the clutch to pull away it clunks like mad, coming from the engine. It sounds like metal hitting metal. What could it be? (Sri)

Sounds like the dual mass flywheel mate Steve B from England

Submitted: 18/01/2013 09:31:32 | ID: 67927

Paul Gordon, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

My Vauxhall Vectra has a loss of power. When I start the engine it idles no problem, but when I ask for power through acceleration the engine chokes and stalls out. Any ideas please?

Mine was doing the same thing, turned out to be the maf sensor-quick fix really just shop about they're usually about £140 ish but I got a new one for £60 from eBay and it's spot on now! ant h from West Yorkshire

Submitted: 08/01/2013 11:19:41 | ID: 67432

Gary Curran, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

This problem is doing my head right in. My 03 Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 dti sxi has picked up a problem which cuts the engine out and won`t start again. I found when under the bonnet and someone was trying to start the car that the lever, (not sure what name it goes by), keeps closing and stalling the engine and when turning over it puts out black smoke. Please can anyone help? (2.2 dti sxi)

Submitted: 08/01/2013 10:00:18 | ID: 67358

Phil, Northumberland

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Hi, I have been having a problem with my Vauxhall Vectra draining the battery. I have checked it over and found that the glow plugs are on even if the car is off with no key in the car at all, just parked up. So I think that is what is draining it, as I have had the battery and alternator checked and they are both okay. There are no lights, radio etc left on either. What could be making the plugs be on all the time and how do I fix it? Many Thanks.

Get ignition checked BigG from Kent

Sounds like a relay is sticking in the closed position. Replace Graham W. from Dumfriesshire

Submitted: 07/01/2013 15:40:29 | ID: 67192

Ben Armitage, Aberdeenshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

Hi, I recently bought an 08 Vauxhall Vectra 1.9cdti. It`s broken down twice now, the first time they took it back in and replaced the battery and all went well until last weekend when it let me down again. They took it away and returned it a week later and said nothing was wrong with it. I have noticed quite heavy flickering outside and in and now I have no faith in it. Can anyone please help? (1.9 cdti)

Hi, if it’s your lights flickering just had same prob on my Vectra, changed alternator, no problem now David Carrington from Kent

Submitted: 07/01/2013 11:02:03 | ID: 67058

Mark Carter, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

When I go into second, third gear etc my Vauxhall Vectra is making a noise on the front end like a bus, like a whining noise. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 04/01/2013 12:03:27 | ID: 67008

Kimberley McNeill, County Antrim

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

My Vauxhall Vectra`s boot won`t open, the back window wipers are not working. the only lights working are the brake lights and when I put the indicators on the hazard lights come on at the back. All lights and window wipers are working at the front of car. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

It sounds like your BCM (Boot Control Module). I had the same problem. Open your boot, open the little hatch on the left hand side, you will see a unit with fuses attached. This is it Ian Hurley from Lancashire

Submitted: 04/01/2013 11:55:53 | ID: 66939

Benjamin McRo, Argentina

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

I changed the front seat of my Vauxhall Vectra but now I`ve problems with the seat commands. The seat controls do not work or the door locks and I cannot start the engine. What should I do? (v6)

Submitted: 04/01/2013 11:41:06 | ID: 66958

Paul Brici, Ireland

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

Hi, in the summer I took the thermostat off my Vauxhall Vectra and after a few weeks the engine electronics light came on and stayed on, but the car ran normally. Two weeks ago I fitted in a new thermostat, the light was still on but the car drives like it`s choking and with low power. I cleaned the egr valve but still nothing, maybe some air sensor somewhere? After it reached 80 degrees sometimes the temperature goes to 3000 rot per minute in idle mode. Can anyone offer any help or advice? Thank you. (1.6 16v)

Idle control valve is on the throttle body, remove it and clean it with carb cleaner and put it back on. This should make the car less jerky and prone to stalling as well, as once they are gummed up they can just drop the power totally when approaching a junction or a roundabout - Hairy McNuff Nutter Anonymous from

Submitted: 04/01/2013 11:08:53 | ID: 66954

Kevin Hudson, Leicestershire

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

My Vauxhall Vectra`s airflow meter pump, (black unit) situated in front of the radiator top up reservoir, runs on during and after the engine is switched off. When the engine`s off, has been running up to thirty seconds then stops, then restarts. It has done this for more than two hours after the engine`s off so I have disconnected neg lead of battery to stop it draining. Will it be okay to use the car till I get it to a garage, or will I cause damage? The yellow engine warning light did come on a week earlier but has gone out. I think it could be a faulty sensor. Could someone please help? Many thanks. (2.5 artic)

Submitted: 04/01/2013 08:52:49 | ID: 65728

Brenda Kellett, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

My Vauxhall Vectra just cuts out. It has done this on several occasions, warning lights only come on when the car loses power, abs cuts out as well and it comes to a stop. This is very dangerous as this happened on a roundabout and it also has intermittent starting. I had heat sensor put on crankshaft. Can anyone advise me? Should I call it a day and scrap it?

Had a similar problem with a Vauxhall I used to own. The engine would cut out for no reason. Sometimes it would start immediately, sometimes it would be up to a day before it would start. The issue in my case was with the fuel cut off relay. The relay was only around £10 and really easy to fit. Certainly worth checking out before you scrap it.- Steve Tay from Worcestershire.

Submitted: 03/01/2013 10:26:49 | ID: 66712

Ian Rogers, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

I was on the motorway when my Vauxhall Vectra`s engine died, the oil light came on then smoke poured out from under the bonnet and lots of smoke from the exhaust. The coolant water was still full but there was oil round the engine and the dipstick was showing empty. Now the car won`t even turn over. Help, is it for scrap?

Sounds like you seized the engine. Could have a secondhand one dropped in. Depends on overall state of car and if you can afford a new car rather than replace the engine BigG from Kent

Submitted: 03/01/2013 09:48:31 | ID: 66718

Michael Allen, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

Hi. My Vauxhall Vectra auto`s abs light keeps coming on intermittently when I drive. Some days it will be okay. Any ideas? Thanks. (auto)

This implies an intermittent fault somewhere in the ABS system. This may be a failing wheel sensor (or the cable or connectors) which connect it to the ABS computer. It may be that the toothed sensor ring on one of the wheel hubs has become corroded to the extent that the sensor cannot ’see’ it correctly, or that the ABS sensor is covered in steel particles (from normal brake disc wear or rust particles coming off the sensor ring and sticking to the (slightly magnetic) sensor, thus ’blinding’ it. It may be an intermittent fault on the ABS computer circuit board, or in the ABS modulator (the mechanical / hydraulic part of the system which actually implements the ABS aspect of the braking system). If you take your car to a mechanic with the correct diagnostics computer they can ’ask’ the ABS computer about recent fault indications and rapidly narrow down the cause of the problem. Often, the fix can be as simple as cleaning the sensor / sensor ring or cleaning and re-seating all the plugs and sockets in the system. A replacement sensor is relatively inexpensive (£20 - £50) and relatively quick and easy to change. If it is a fault on the ABS computer, there are places you can send them to for testing or repair. A faulty modulator will normally require replacing (and these are expensive - easily £500). Don’t change parts at random - get the car plugged into a diagnostics computer and change or repair the one part which is at fault. This fault is unlikely to fix itself Paul Marchant from England

Before doing anything with sensors or electronics check this: Could be a cracked sensor ring on the driveshaft. The crack allows it to move around the driveshaft at high-ish speeds (but not under say 20mph), which confuses the ABS ECU. Third time I’ve come across this Jeff from Lancashire

Submitted: 31/12/2012 12:16:43 | ID: 65725

Mick, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

My Vauxhall Vectra`s offside headlight bulb has been replaced but is still not working. I checked fuses, all seem okaya. The radio is not working either. Are they on the same fuse?

Submitted: 24/12/2012 09:25:28 | ID: 65804

Godwin Nzewi, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

I bought a used 2002 Vauxhall Vectra C and shipped it to Africa. The battery ran down and had to be replaced with a brand new battery. After driving it for an hour the steering stiffened and became very hard to handle. I stopped and the engine went off. An electrician found that the new battery was not charging, even when the engine was on. I argued with him that I had just bought a new battery that same day. He jump started it with a battery support and the steering became free and easy to handle. What is the cause of my problem and is the alternator faulty?

It is almost certainly a fault with the alternator, drive-belt or wiring associated with it. Your model of car uses electrically driven power steering (rather than drive-belt powered hydraulic power steering as found on older cars). If the engine computer thinks that the battery is not being constantly charged by the alternator (and that the car’s electrical system is not being powered by the alternator) it will switch off the power steering in order to conserve battery charge, thus hopefully allowing you to continue driving far enough to pull off the road in a safe place), The fact that you had a flat battery (without doing anything like leaving your lights on overnight), and that this happened again with a new battery in a short time is pretty conclusive evidence that this is so Paul Marchant from England

Yes, most likely it is as why did you buy a new one! Get a volt meter and test when car is running and not running to see what its is as the car has a electric power steering pump and you most likely have air con on as well do you have any light on the dash! Mark Crouch from England

Submitted: 20/12/2012 11:36:20 | ID: 65797

Michael Butterfield, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

When I switch my Vauxhall Vectra off the cd multichanger will just start overnight and drain the battery. I have removed the fuse for the radio and touch wood it`s been fine! Is there any reason or known faults with the nav/cd units that would cause this, or is it a simple case that I need a new head unit!? Has anyone else had this type of problem?

This is a known fault on the stereos fitted to some of this model of car. The stereo can be replaced with a new or S/H one. Vauxhall offer re-furbished stereos via their dealership Paul M from England

Submitted: 17/12/2012 11:31:09 | ID: 65670

James Cox, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

I think I have a problem with the heating in my Vauxhall Vectra. I drive to work for about 20 to 30 minutes and the car does not heat up much at all. I topped up the antifreeze but still nothing. Can anyone help? (tdi 2.0)

Faulty thermostat, the engine temp should be running at 85 degrees normally, if it’s not it’s a faulty thermostat Stephen White from Northern Ireland

It sounds like the engine thermostat is stuck partly or fully open. The thermostat is an inexpensive part (less than £10 for most cars), although fitting it involves draining and refilling the cooling system (which takes an addition twenty minutes and a new bottle of coolant). You’ll likely save the cost of the repairs in the next few months of driving because you’ll see your fuel economy improve (or recover!). It’s possible however that you may have a clogged / airlocked heater matrix in the car (a little baby car radiator hidden behind the dashboard which derives heat from the circulating engine coolant). How does the dashboard temperature gauge behave? If it always shows ’cold’ then it’s the thermostat. If it shows the engine warming up as normal (mine takes two miles of driving to warm up from cold), then the thermostat’s ok and the fault is with the heater matrix as above Paul M from England

Submitted: 13/12/2012 15:29:51 | ID: 65478

Gerry, County Antrim

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

I have a 2005 Vauxhall Vectra and when I take off it starts beeping. Even if I reverse it starts beeping. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Submitted: 13/12/2012 14:36:50 | ID: 65428

Lewis, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 SRI and recently I got to the car and it was full of water. I realised this was because there was a blocked pollen filter. Now I have an airbag and seatbelt warning light on the dash. Any way of resetting this?

Yes. Assuming there’s no damage in terms of wet or corroded connectors, take the car to a mechanic with the correct diagnostics computer and ask them to ’clear the fault codes’ on the car, If there’s corrosion on the connectors, or water still in the electronics, the fault light will come back on more or less immediately, and further investigation is called for. If the fault light remains off, then it’s likely that everything’s dried out and operating correctly, and at that point you’ve got to the end of the matter Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 13/12/2012 12:17:29 | ID: 65393

Andy Curtis, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra cut out last week while I was driving, with no previous warning or lights on the dash. The AA and garage had egr codes come up as a result of a diagnostic check. I have had new egr fitted. Now I get intermittent starting? It starts fine from cold, (no longer cuts out due to egr valve) and if I leave it an hour between journeys will start up, however if the engine is warm/hot it won`t start. Why is this?

Would like to help but mine is the same as yours. (Vauxhall Vectra 2002 5 door) Mine just stopped dead on a roundabout which is pretty scary, would like to solve this problem can anyone help me or andy to solve this problem? Brenda Kellett from Yorkshire

My vectra 2002 does the same after 1 mile it cuts out. The first couple of times it was local so I left it and went back an hour or so later and it started fine. I took to a local garage and it cut out while I was there. They checked the relay and found it had closed, so thought it was faulty. They ordered a new relay from the dealer, but that didn`t cure the problem. However, I found if you open the relay manually the car will start, so when the ignition is on and relay is opened (I used the tip of a cable tie) you can hear the fuel pump in the rear of the car making a noise, hence the car will start. The relay is closed when the ignition is on, but no noise from rear pump on tank, so the car will not start. Today I drove 80 miles hassle free, no stops, no hiccups. One thing though if you drive and leave the car standing for say several hours with the relay open (live), even if the ignition is off you can hear the pump hence a flat battery if you forget (not funny)! There are two relays, it’s the front one, I only know this because I watched the mechanics like a hawk when they were assessing the fault as I only know th very basics about engines ("Get away?" I hear you say). Most people would find this a pain, but it keeps me on the road until I can afford a main dealer’s rates. The bottom line is why is relay closing after 1 mile, cooling down 1 to 2 hours later? I’ve got this temporary fix down to 10 seconds, it keeps me moving. I would run this by someone in the know, (I will too), but if anyone takes my car they won’t get far! So, EGR valve? Throttle body dirty? I think overheating relay maybe? I’ll watch this space for a cure, but I’m still on the move. Cars hey? Regards. George from Kent

Submitted: 13/12/2012 10:33:45 | ID: 81883

Scott Gilbert, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Hi, I hope someone can help. I`ve just bought a 55 plate Vauxhall Vectra sri 1.9cdti 120 bhp and when I turn the heating on I get a noise like a bird chirping from underneath the glovebox. I`ve spoken to a garage who said that no way can they repair it, they just wanted me to buy a whole new motor heater and resistor costing nearly £200. Any ideas how I can just get rid of this noise till after Christmas? Cheers.

Hi Scott, I have the same model with the same problem. The noise goes when I turn the fan speed up. I think it is a loose bit of something flapping about in the vent somewhere. I intend to remove the trim and interior to access where I can hear the noise as soon as we get a couple of dry days. I’ll report back when I do Johnny from England

If the noise changes with fan speed, then it’s likely that the fan motor bearings have dried out (the grease on them at the factory has degraded to the point that it’s no longer lubricating them). Officially this means a new fan / motor assembley, but experience has shown that it’s possible to remove and oil the thing sufficiently that it works properly once again Paul Marchant from England

Had same noise on my wife’s 3.2 GSI. Told by a Vauxhall garage that the heater motor needed replacing, costing several hundred pounds. A friend with own independdent garage found that a clip holding the pollen filter housing had fallen onto the motor causing the same noise. Hope this helps Chris Beard from Lancashire

Submitted: 13/12/2012 09:52:38 | ID: 65007

Robert Milligan, Northumberland

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

I have a lot off difficulty trying to get my Vauxhall Vectra`s driver`s side window to go down. I have to press down really hard and move about to different parts of the button to get it to move down. It goes up fine. What can I do?

It sounds like the switch has started to fail. It’s generally not worth the effort of trying to disassemble the switch to fix it, as they are available cheaply S/H from ebay or scrapyards, and it’s the same amount of effort / labour to replace the switch as it is to remove, fiddle about with, and re-install the existing one. The only other possibility is a partly dislodged / corroded plug or socket associated with the switch or it’s wiring loom. 99% of the time it’s the switch Paul Marchant from England

Had same problem. Spray WD40 on mechanism, that is the likly problem Dave Courtney from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 11/12/2012 15:53:04 | ID: 64968

Mike, Berkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

My Vauxhall Vectra 2003 5-door saloon`s rear doors won’t open after a battery change. New battery was fitted, the old original was dead and now the central locking won’t unlock both rear doors. The lock ’pops up’and neither the external nor internal door-handles on the rear-doors can open the rear doors. Both front doors open okay and the boot opens okay with the central locking. The rear doors were opening both with central locking and manually before the battery change. I’ve no mechanical skills. How do I fix this?

Submitted: 11/12/2012 14:18:09 | ID: 64921

Daniel Syder, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Does anyone know if my Vauxhall Vectra`s glow plugs only come on if below a certain temperature? Where I live it never really gets below 8 degrees and the car is hard to start in the morning or if left for a few hours to cool down! If I disconnect the head temperature sensor then the dash light for the plugs comes on and it starts perfectly. I have changed the sensor, the glow plugs (all 4 ), new battery and fuel filter. There are no faults with diagnostics and the car drives perfectly, it`s just on first start up. I have been told that the plugs only come in if below 5 degrees, this can`t be true can it? Any advice please people? (2.2 dti)

It sounds like the engine temperature sensor (CTS or coolant temperature sensor) has failed and is mis-reporting the engine temperature to the engine computer. This will leave the engine computer thinking the engine’s warm. The fuelling of modern engines varies according to their operating temperature (similarly to having to use the choke on a petrol engine from years gone by). Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 11/12/2012 12:26:50 | ID: 64870

Colin, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Hi. My Vauxhall Vectra starts first time no problem, but as soon as I touch the accelerator it revs flat out. Any clues? Thanks. (elite)

Depending upon which engine’s fitted to your car it may be electronic throttle (where the accelerator pedal is not connected directly to the engine throttle via a mechanical cable assembley much like a bicycle brake cable), which provides an electrical signal to a little motor assembley at the engine throttle. It seems likely that the accelerator pedal position sensor (located in the driver’s footwell behind and above the pedal) has failed (or, just possibly the wiring associated with it). A mechanic with a suitable diagnostics computer can ask the engine computer about the accelerator pedal position, and see the readings change in real-time as the pedal is depressed and released). This will confirm or exclude the pedal sensor as being faulty. In theory, it could be a similar fault occurring at the throttle assembley on top of the engine, but experience has shown your symptoms are more likely to point to the pedal sensor Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 11/12/2012 11:13:56 | ID: 64806