VAUXHALL VECTRA questions and answers: Page 13

VAUXHALL Vectra

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL VECTRA models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL VECTRA. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL VECTRA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Emmie Hornby, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

How do you turn to the CD player off safe mode in a 2006 Vauxhall Vectra?

Submitted: 22/12/2011 08:37:45 | ID: 73429

Mohammed Farouk, Warwickshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Hi, when I start my car up I get a squealing sound that I can hear, but it goes away after about 5 mins, or when the car gets warm. Could anyone please advise or help? Thanks.

The squealing could be a worn utility drive belt or wrongly tensioned. The other area could be your alternator that is driven by this same belt when the alternator bearings are worn. Open your bonnet and push the longest stretch of belt, it should be able to be pushed in about 1cm, if it goes further than that it will need tensioned up by adjusting the alternator bracket Mike Butterworth from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 20/12/2011 13:49:51 | ID: 80970

Stevie McDermott, County Antrim

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Recently my Vauxhall Vectra’s lights on the dashboard have been flickering on and off. I have also suffered a loss off power steering, with the ABS light staying on. My battery light also stays on and the car won’t start. Is this just a battery or something more? Any help guys? I hate my car! (2.0 DTI)

Alternator or crank arm going mate, less than £200 should fix it Slim Shakey from County Antrim

I’ve got the same problem on my mate’s car. I’ve changed alternator but it still won’t start unless you jump it, but then all the lights on dash light up (battery, abs lights, plus power steering and car with spanner though it lights up as well). Then cuts out after a bit. But I’ve been told it’s a bad earth Matthew Corser from England

Submitted: 20/12/2011 10:13:52 | ID: 74547

Ami Khan, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Where is the transmission fluid dip stick located on a 2005 Vauxhall Vectra?

Submitted: 19/12/2011 15:37:57 | ID: 80767

Alex Hill, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I have a Vauxhall Vectra that had become hydro locked after a egr changed. All three of the rear cylinders were filled with water. However I have no idea why. I did not change the egr myself. The front bank is clear and dry. Does anyone know how this might have happened? (3.0 v6 cdti)

Submitted: 19/12/2011 13:55:44 | ID: 80936

Ainsley Cairns, Ayrshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

Hi, how do I fix the front lights on my Vauxhall Vectra? They look like they are looking to the side. You can see the beams to the side. And does anyone know why, when I drive along a less smooth road, I get a metallic sounding click. Thanks.

Submitted: 16/12/2011 09:31:07 | ID: 80670

Tony Harding, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

My Vectra-B dash cuts out, speedo freezes, mileage goes out, clock disappears, radio cuts out and enters safe mode, indicators stop working (dash and external), external headlights and brake lights still work. Any ideas? The rear window heater doesn’t work either, could it all be down to the drivers rear light panel? There may have a poor earth as there is a clicking sound when the indicators are used that wasn’t there before. I have had trouble since I replaced a bulb in the summer. (1.8 GLS Saloon)

I have exactly the same problem on a Vectra C. It appears to be caused by the Body Control Module (BCM) shutting down as it controls all of these things. It still isn’t fixed despite twice going into a garage that specialises in electrical problems. It may be that the BCM needs replacing but that’s expensive and the garage thinks the fault lies elsewhere. The BCM is accessed via the glovebox. We also had a dodgy connection on the rear lighting panel (due to corrosion) and replaced it. It still has the same problems; hitch occurs typically every few minutes, whether the engine is running or not. One web site suggested an alternator fault causing overcharging but this seems unlikely as it occurs when the engine is not running. Good luck - please post back here if you find the solution Paul Skirrow from Suffolk

Submitted: 15/12/2011 09:12:24 | ID: 80849

Peter Brightman, Hampshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Not happy. Wiper blades got tangled up last night. I managed to get home and was told that it is the mechanism. Anybody got any ideas?

Had the same problem with mine, lift up the wiper covering which was a struggle but I managed to get it up enough to get my fingers underneath and put a couple of cable ties onto the arm which had come loose. That was about three years ago and had no problem with it since. Vauxhall wanted loads of money for a new mechanism Al from Hampshire

Submitted: 14/12/2011 09:07:40 | ID: 74514

David, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I topped up with new oil last night and got 5 miles then the car became groggy. All of a sudden the engine started revving very high on its own then it quit. The oil level is at the top but not showing overfull. Can I drain this myself or does this sound as if it’s in the ’broken stages’? Please help!!! (2.2SRI)

Submitted: 14/12/2011 09:02:28 | ID: 79464

Kevin Withers, Gloucestershire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

My Vauxhall Vectra’s power steering has now failed, and this is the fourth time since I bought the car. Every time before it was fixed under warranty. This time they want me to pay. The car has only done 36,000 miles - 4 steering racks etc in that time - do you think there is a fault with the parts? (1.8 Exculsive)

Submitted: 14/12/2011 08:59:36 | ID: 80826

Amanda, Denbighshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra’s key will not turn in the ignition - it just doesn’t move. It 1st did it last night but suddenly started after 30 mins of trying. Today nothing. I have owned the car for 4 years and it’s never done it before. Does anyone know of this problem or how to fix it? (LS Automatic)

Turn steering wheel while turning key! Steering lock is prob on! Bob from Pembrokeshire

Submitted: 13/12/2011 11:57:32 | ID: 80809

Jane Smith, Hertfordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

After bump starting the car, a Vauxhall Vectra 2002, the steering became really heavy. I managed to get it to a garage and they have told me that bump starting can often affect the power steering. I now need a new power steering pump which is going to cost around £700. Has anyone else had this problem and can you give me some idea of how much the complete job should cost. I am also trying to get the part number of the pump needed as a friend may be able to get me one a a reduced price. Any help would be much appreciated as I know nothing about cars!

Submitted: 12/12/2011 09:30:19 | ID: 79617

Ben, Monmouthshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

My Vauxhall Vectra won’t start. The engine is making a clicking noise and the exhaust gases light is flashing. Any ideas? It worked fine last night.

Submitted: 12/12/2011 08:59:03 | ID: 79567

Gordon Kenny, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

My Vauxhall Vectra Estate cut out on me and now it won’t start. I have bled the injectors, had a new crank shaft censor fitted, changed all the rubber tubing. I have tried tow starting it, the fuel filter is full and it its trying to start but flattens the battery. Can anybody help?

Replace the egr valve, they are very common. It’s by the battery on bulk of the head Ashley Jones from Blaenau Gwent

Is your fuel pump running? Lift rear seat and listen for whirr with ignition on. If not, check fuel pump relay (purple) under hood. There are two. One is fuel pump relay and the other is fuel injector relay Sparks from Worcestershire

Submitted: 09/12/2011 11:43:25 | ID: 79424

Martin Davies, Caerphilly

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra is very lumpy when ticking over. I have changed the throttle body and the plugs but still the same does anyone know what it could be?

Submitted: 07/12/2011 11:36:30 | ID: 79361

Tony Lilliman, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Can anyone help? When I turn my lights on my heater fan turns off, and all the dash and interior lights go off. Also, if I open the doors the fan goes off, it has been suggested that it’s the thermal fuse on the heater, does anyone know for sure?

Submitted: 06/12/2011 14:22:22 | ID: 79346

Amy T, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

My Vauxhall Vectra’s blower has gone today for the 5th time in two years - having only put the repaired resistor back in this morning! It is getting very frustrating now and expensive!!! The pollen filter is new, the drainage channels are not blocked? Any other ideas? I can’t afford to keep forking out £40 per resistor as I have been told by an electrical car parts place that the resistor is a Vauxhall only part. I have found blower-resistor.co.uk - who have fixed it - does anyone know what wattage resistor it should be?

Remove the blower fan/ motor and check that it rotates freely with no resistance. If not, it will draw too much current and overheat (and destroy) the resistor. It’s possible to oil the motor bearings to restore free operation, and then all should be good forever (or until next time the pollen filter or drain gets clogged and fills it with water again) Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 05/12/2011 15:43:13 | ID: 76134

Vince Johnman, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

The service light on my Vauxhall Vectra comes on for 2 seconds when the car is started in cold weather. Has anyone else experienced this? (2-litre dti Club)

I have the same problem, need a fix :( Sathit Suwannakul from England

Submitted: 05/12/2011 15:36:13 | ID: 76088

Lee Jones, Berkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

Hello. My interior light has stop working when you open the door, unlock the car through the remote key, or light switch on the dashboard. I have checked the door switch, replaced the light switch which you can have it on in the car, checked the fuses, all are OK but still no interior light. Now I am stuck, can anyone help?

Try the bulb. Back to basics Bob from Pembrokeshire

Submitted: 01/12/2011 08:52:01 | ID: 75885

Craig Withey, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

There is an orange light on constantly on the dashboard of my Vauxhall Vectra, in the shape of a circle with 3 black lines either side of it. I don’t think it’s engine management as it is the shape of a wheel and there sometimes is a horrible whistling noise coming from the right hand side of the car. But goes when I touch the brake. Has anybody any idea what this symbol means?

This is the brake pad sensor and you need to change renew your brake pads Sparky Anderson from Devon

You need new brake pads. That’s all Paul from Berkshire

Submitted: 01/12/2011 08:22:23 | ID: 75859

Rachel P, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Why does the heater fan in my Vauxhall Vectra only work on full speed but not on any of the other lower settings?

There will be a resistor pack to control the fan speed. This has failed, it will be a main dealer part only, about £25. You could ask them where it is when you pick it up, they can be under the bonnet or close to the fan so that fresh air cools it Paul McG from Northern Ireland

http://www.blower-motor-resistor.co.uk/vauxhall-vectra-c-blower-motor-resistor.html Will show you exactly where it is. Maplin may be able to fix it for about a fiver :0) Al from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 30/11/2011 16:19:24 | ID: 76054

Terry Burke, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

My Vauxhall Vectra diesel 2-litre seems to be using a lot of water. I topped it up this morning and drove 20 miles then I checked it again and it was low again. I then took the water cap off and then the water came back in the water holder, can any one please help me?

It suggests the head gasket is failing and allowing exhaust gas from the cylinders (combustion chambers) into the cooling system. This pressurises the cooling system, and the rubber hoses expand slightly, increasing in volume, thus looking like the coolant level has dropped. When you take the cap off, and release the pressure the hoses contract and the coolant level recovers. There is a test that a garage can do (sniffer test) which will confirm this. The test is quick and easy to do. If it confirms that there are exhaust gasses in the cooling system then it’s definitely head gasket or cracked cylinder head Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 30/11/2011 16:14:02 | ID: 75874

Antony Chadburn, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

How do I remove the gear knob and fit custom built one on a Vauxhall Vectra?

Submitted: 30/11/2011 10:44:55 | ID: 74422

Geo, Devon

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

My Vauxhall Vectra is shaking when doing over 40 mph. I have checked the suspension, direction and wheels. Any further ideas anyone? (LS 2.0)

I had the same trouble with my Vauxhall Signum, had the balancing checked etc. It turned out to be one of the rear tyres having excessive wear on the inner tread that could not be seen unless the car is on a ramp. Tyre changed, shaking stopped. Hope it helps Mark from England

I had this it was the dmf flywheel on its last legs going out of balance and shaking car, this might be your problem G Dene from England

Submitted: 30/11/2011 09:30:01 | ID: 83530

Derek Kilby, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I have to replace the rear nearside light cover on my Vauxhall Vectra. How do I do it? Is this difficult or should I be able to do it?

If you mean that you need to replace the rear light cluster, then it’s pretty straightforward. Open the panel into the light cluster then unclip and remove the bulb holder and place out of the way (wiring loom limits where you can put it. There are three small nuts (not sure of size off the top of my head), two are pretty easy to get to one is a bit of a pain. Undo then pull gently on the cluster and it comes out in one piece. Replacing is just a straight reversal. Is pretty quick to do but you do need to be a bit of a contortionist if only using basic tools. A small ratchet spanner with bar is okay Richard Sunderland from Dorset

The owners manual is a free download from Vauxhall http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/00_Home/Owner_Services/owners_manuals/vectra/VectraOwnersManual_Jul07.pdf and there’s detailed instructions with pictures on page 260, 261 Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 29/11/2011 14:30:56 | ID: 72413

Julie, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

Car has been misfiring and losing power going up hill. Light on dashboard indicates ’servicing’. Still to have service but put into garage for diagnostic test. Guy said needs new coil pack. Had that fitted this morning. But... service light came on again and its still losing power on hills. Could it be it just needs new sparks or....? Please help, I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks for taking the time.

Submitted: 29/11/2011 13:44:44 | ID: 75448

Terry Hines, Dorset

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

Hi, I am trying to do a favour for my 82yr old neighbour. He has a S/H V. Vectra. I am not sure of the year, REG: is NU57 GBE. He has lost his manual and cannot remember how to change the time! I am loathed to touch it, without the know-how. The clock is incorporated in a central screen resembling a Sat Nav. Is it possible you could give me some instructions on how this simple task can be under taken, before the owner tears his remaining hair out. Thanking you in anticipation.

The owner’s manual is available for free download from Vauxhall. http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/00_Home/Owner_Services/owners_manuals/vectra/VectraOwnersManual_Jul07.pdf Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 22/11/2011 08:59:49 | ID: 74415

Daniel Smith, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

My Vauxhall Vectra has no pressure in clutch? And I can’t put it in gear? What’s wrong with it an does it cost loads to fix?

On mine it happened a few months ago. Probably you need new clutch and cylinders (master+slave). Looking around £700 all in Paul from Berkshire

Submitted: 22/11/2011 08:44:59 | ID: 79683

Mark Drennan, County Antrim

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

My handbrake failed MOT. I got new brake pads, discs and handbrake shoes. Now, when I put the handbrake on it holds the car from going forward but not from rolling back so I can’t do an up hill start. Can anyone help?

Hi, my S reg Vectra did the same problem as yours. I had to fully replace the whole braking system and the problem stopped Ainsley Cairns from Ayrshire

Sound to me if you put new cables on a set the shoes up properly this will work. I’ve done this to my vectra b a few years back Matt from Essex

Submitted: 14/11/2011 16:15:28 | ID: 72406

Kerrie John, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

How do I check the oil on my Automatic 3.0 V6 CDTI Vauxhall Vectra? Many thanks.

The handbook says run the car for a few mins, switch off for 5 mins, remove dipstick, wipe, reinsert and check level. Seems a rave g clarkson from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 14/11/2011 15:57:09 | ID: 71987

Pauline Burns, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

There is a very strong smell of petrol but the car doesn’t appear to be leaking petrol from anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

Beyond a doubt, somewhere you have a fuel leak. If the smell is not discernable under the car, then have a sniff around the engine. The flexible rubber fuel hoses between the back of the engine bay and the top of the engine have been known to develop tiny splits which leak. Leaving aside the fire hazard of leaking into a hot engine, the petrol will evaporate very rapidly, so not leaving a puddle. This is just the right area for the ventilation system to suck the fumes into the passenger compartment Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 14/11/2011 14:03:48 | ID: 72211

Shahid Baig, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

Hi, I have a 58 reg SRI 1.9 TDI. Since I have got it the steering has been heavy and pulls to the left and right slightly. Kwik Fit have attempted tracking wheel balancing but the problem is still there. I have just got 4 new tyres and front discs and brake pads plus front digital alignment and tracking. But the steering still pulls to the left and its heavy. I even took it to the dealers and they said that there was nothing wrong with the car. Can anyone can help me, or advise?

Bent axel or damaged chassis Scott Scott from Ayrshire

It could be a right hand drive car Stan from Cheshire

Submitted: 14/11/2011 11:31:36 | ID: 72176

Geraint Jones, Argyllshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Hi, I have an almost totally dead instrument panel - no displays, no speedo, tacho, fuel or temp. EMS light comes on and goes off as normal when engine starts but the ’doors open’ warning light stays on permanently - even when I take the keys out and despite all the doors and hatch being properly closed. Engine starts and runs OK and the indicators work - but the repeaters on the panel don’t. Cheers for any help. (1.8l petrol)

Submitted: 14/11/2011 10:17:09 | ID: 72193

Chris Moxham, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Hi, can anyone tell me if there should be a nut on the pinch bolt on the stearing rack on a Vauxhall Vectra. Thanks!

Submitted: 11/11/2011 15:58:02 | ID: 84499

Barry Dray, Hertfordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

My car runs on 215/50W17 Michelin HP (91 load) tyres and the suggested pressures depending on who you contact vary considerably. Can anyone give me the definitive pressures? Many thanks, Barry. (3.2 automatic Elite)

41 psi Fiend Fiend from England

Submitted: 11/11/2011 10:14:54 | ID: 72058

Lee Thomas, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

On a Vauxhall Vectra, do you need relays for electric mirrors to work?

Submitted: 11/11/2011 10:13:39 | ID: 82551

Michael Turner, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

Hi, my power steering is playing up and the pump one minute makes that whining noise and then stops. I’ve also had a leak which I do believe maybe an o-ring in the return pipe. My main concern is that I have tightened everything up and refilled the system up but only a litre of dexron II fluid and the cv boot has blown up like a balloon. Why is this? All comments would be greatful. (Envoy 1.6)

Firstly, it won’t be the c.v boot that’s blowing up, it is the rack boot. There is an internal leak at the steering rack, it will have to be replaced, sorry John Thomas from Argyllshire

Submitted: 11/11/2011 09:46:00 | ID: 71966

Thomas Lunney, Dumbartonshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Vectra 1800cc, 2003 model. The radiator fan is not coming on - can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Submitted: 10/11/2011 15:39:31 | ID: 71948

Ayo Jonson Dele, Nigeria

Vauxhall Vectra 1999

Transmission oil is leaking out of my Opel Vectra around the gear box and then it loses power. I often turn off the ignition and start the car again. after it shows again and restart the whole process. What should I do?

Submitted: 09/11/2011 11:06:18 | ID: 71908

Simon Butt, Kent

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Hi all, after the torrential rain we had down here, my engine management light has stayed on and the engine is sort of misfiring. It doesn’t pick up straight away and makes a hell of a noise and the speed fluctuates. Could I have water in electrics or is it that the plugs need replacing? Please advise, thanks in advance. (1.6 LS)

It’s likely that you’ve got rainwater in one of the plugs which connect the engine sensors to the wiring loom. If you ask a mechanic to plug the car into a diagnostics computer, they will be able to tell you what is making the engine computer unhappy (and thus turning on the fault light). In all likelihood the computer will say it’s not seeing one particular sensor - unplug, blow the water out of the connection and plug it back in. It’s vanishingly unlikely that rain has caused your spark-plugs to need replacing Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 09/11/2011 08:19:07 | ID: 71763