VAUXHALL VECTRA questions and answers: Page 13

VAUXHALL Vectra

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL VECTRA models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL VECTRA. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL VECTRA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Michael Cooper, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

My Vauxhall Vectra appears to have oil leaking from what appears to be an inspection plate underneath the gearbox. A new clutch was fitted by a garage with a somewhat dubious history recently, would they have needed to remove the inspection plate to replace the clutch or is it just coincidence? (life 1.8)

Sounds to me like the rear main oil seal has gone or a shaft seal. These should of been spotted when gear box was out and you should have been phoned with a price. The seals are very cheap, less then £10 and very easy to fit with gear box out. I would go back to garage, there is a chance they could have caused leak when installing the box Vectra c man from Essex

Submitted: 28/08/2012 15:24:40 | ID: 86504

John Holmes, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

My Vauxhall Vectra keeps cutting out when it`s temperature reaches 90. If I leave it for 30minutes then it starts again. Any ideas?

I have had the same problem with my Sri it has dogged me for the last two years gradually getting worse Tony Higgins from Kent

Submitted: 28/08/2012 11:38:49 | ID: 88233

Paul Jenner, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

The rear view mirror on my Vauxhall Vectra has a flashing yellow light underneath it that flashes constantly when the headlights are turned on. What is this as I cannot find any info on it? Please help!

Hi, your rear view mirror is fitted with a sensor that makes the mirror tint when some one is behind you with their full beam on, helping not to dazzle you. The light is a indication that it is working fine Frank Stan from England

I know that’s what it is supposed to do but it doesn’t dim, and I was told that the amber light should stay on and not flash? I have bought a replacement but can’t figure out how the housing comes off to replace it? Don’t want to force it in case I break it. Is there an easy way to do it? Paul Jenner from Essex

Submitted: 21/08/2012 14:14:13 | ID: 85726

Mitko Tosey, Macedonia, Former Yugoslav Republic Of

Vauxhall Vectra 1997

Hi. After reaching the working temperature of ~90-92 degrees my Vauxhall Vectra does not have power as it does when it’s cold. The MAF sensor has been changed, the recirculation system has been cleaned, the EGR valve has also been changed, the air filter is new, the catalytic converter has been cleaned and the vacuum pumps have been checked by a technician. There is no management light, nothing, it just does not have power. What should I check next? Thank you. (X20DT)

Hi. I had the same problem with my 03. Took it to an auto electrician and put it on a reader, it came up with the code p0400. When reading up on it I saw a review which said if you cut the fourth wire on the egr valve very close (it’s a black and grey one) it will sort the problem. I thought what the hell so tried it - worked a treat and not been on since. Apparently its a well known fault with the Vauxhall. Let me know how you get on, regards Frank Stan from England

Submitted: 20/08/2012 16:35:04 | ID: 85373

Danny Taylor, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

I am having trouble with my Vauxhall Vectra starting. First thing in the morning it boots up straight away but then after driving it for say 15 minutes, leaving it for about an hour, it takes about 5 to 10 attempts to start with a big cloud of white smoke coming out pf the exhaust. Any ideas? (dti)

Sounds like egr problem or perhaps a timing sensor Matt from Essex

Hi Danny, I am having almost identicle starting problems with my Vectra CDI except without the white smoke and constantly from even cold start. After a Vauxhall electronic diagnosis I have changed the camshaft sensor but this did not solve the problem. A web site member has advised me that the problem is with the range switch which ensures that the car will only start in Park or Neutral. I have purchased this part at a price of £43.50 but I have yet to learn where it fits other than on the gear box or on the transmission. I have the part no. but the paper work is with the car and in my mechanics garage and can send to you once I sight it. Leave me your email address and I will come back to you. Perhaps between us we can solve the problem? Regards Eric from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 20/08/2012 15:54:32 | ID: 85366

Paul Reed, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

What oil do I use for a Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 sxi petrol?

5w30 fully synthetic oil and about 5l will be needed. Choose a good quality brand of oil Matt from Essex

Submitted: 20/08/2012 15:38:53 | ID: 85328

Miranda Rice, Sussex

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

I have changed the battery on my Vauxhall Vectra twice now. It’ll turn over then die and that’s it. Is it the alternator?

Pop in to formula 1 or kwik fit centre for a free battery and alternator check and go from there Matt from Essex

Submitted: 17/08/2012 17:26:33 | ID: 88832

Brian, Leicestershire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

I have a problem with the air conditioning on my 2001 1.6 Vectra whereby when I switch on the air conditioning, the engine cuts out! It drives superbly and has never given me any trouble at all, until I recently noticed this problem during our recent hot spell. Any ideas as to the cause?

Submitted: 16/08/2012 15:43:47 | ID: 87750

Dean Mack, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

I have a 06 Vectra. In first and second gear, when pulling away, the revs stay high for a second or two before dropping. Can anyone help please as to the best way of sorting it out.

Submitted: 16/08/2012 15:33:10 | ID: 75567

Dave Jones, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

I have Vauxhall Vectra and the problem is the temperature gauge, it goes up very fast, even the car won’t be showing any signs of boiling. If I just drive for a few miles it rises and the fan will quick in and cool down and it becomes better when I drive long distance than shot routes were the temp rises very fast.

Submitted: 14/08/2012 14:59:11 | ID: 75492

Kevin O Melia, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Hi, my 1.9cdti sxi Vectra... it’s been running ok but now every so often the engine management light comes on and it goes into safe mode and won’t go over 20,000 revs. If I stop and turn it off then straight back on it will do it again but if I leave it for 10 minutes it can go for couple days before it goes again. Different people telling me different things what it could be. Any one got any ideas?

Hi Kev. I have an sri 150, it does the same thing. I find if I stop too quickly or change down it happens. I got a computer test and new sensor put on but it`s still the same, usually at the same part of road when I leave the motorway. Sounds silly but works fine Stuart Johnstone from Scotland

Try cleaning your EGR valve or change it for a new one Tony Hodgson from Wrexham

Submitted: 10/08/2012 15:10:19 | ID: 72910

Lisa Stevenson, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

My 57 plate Vectra’s brake lights won’t go off and start working properly until I do 60mph. This happens everytime I switch the engine on.

Submitted: 09/08/2012 14:30:09 | ID: 72916

Amir K, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

I have a Vectra 1.8 sri when I take off the oil cap on my Vectra engine running engine speed drops and there is a vacuum suction of air there. Is this supposed to happen?

Submitted: 09/08/2012 11:15:04 | ID: 72907

Susan Gray, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

I bought my son a Vauxhall Vectra and it’s running very well but the dashboard lights go off but if he opens the door they come back on. The garage says until they see it they wont do it...

Submitted: 08/08/2012 15:25:48 | ID: 72902

Wayne Kilner, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

Hi. I had the timing belt replaced in Feb and had oil and filter changed on sat used 5/30 fully synthetic. On Mon noticed it started rattling again. This week I took it to the garage where we had belt changed, they said that the oil used has caused the oil pressure to drop causing the belt to slip and become loose resulting in the rattling. Is this a common fault and could this be true? It’s going to cost another £500 to repair after it cost £800 in Feb. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. (sri 2.2)

Submitted: 08/08/2012 14:37:11 | ID: 72900

Kevin O’Sullivan, Ireland

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

My car is the Vauxhall Vectra Opel version. For some time now I have no sound from my indicators. Does anyone know to to cure this problem? I have seen an item on Youtube in relation to setting items using the indicator and wiper stalk but it does not seem to work on my Vectra. Thanks for any help. (1.9CDTI Life Model)

Submitted: 31/07/2012 10:52:00 | ID: 88782

Carl Jacobs, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1999

I`ve got a 99 Vauxhall Vectra sri 130 and there`s a button above the radio situated with the hazards, heated screen, air con and air circulation and it`s a picture of a person running with sound waves. What`s it for please?

It`s fabric fitted alarm mate, useless button. The light should be flashing on it when you lock the car Rob from England

The button is for deactivating the internal alarm sensors John Marshall from County Armagh

Submitted: 31/07/2012 09:31:12 | ID: 88734

Rob, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I have no manual for my Vauxhall Vectra so I don`t know which fuse is for the radio. If anyone could help please?

Vauxhall have the owners manual available for free download on their website. http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/00_Home/Owner_Services/owners_manuals/vectra/VectraOwnersManual_Jul07.pdf should be the correct one for your car - it is for my 2003 Vectra. Page 248 of the manual suggests it’s fuse no.1 in the fusebox, with good pictures of the location of the fusebox (there are at least three different fuseboxes in various locations in the car) and suggests it’s the top-left fuse Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 30/07/2012 15:59:24 | ID: 88722

Mark Wadsworth, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

My Vauxhall Vectra`s electric window and mirror on the offside don`t work, plus a warning on the dash says "check offside fog light" but it works. Can anyone help? (2.2 sri)

Hi, had both problems, the mirror problem is going to be the mulitswitch on drivers door or it will be the module in the door. Fog light on my car was a dodgy bulb and a loose connection. I would try mulitswitch first, about £15 off eBay to try it, £115 from the dealer Matt from Essex

Submitted: 30/07/2012 14:54:58 | ID: 88455

Wayne Perry, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

I have an air bag light on in my Vauxhall Vectra. How do I switch it off for the child seat etc and where is the button located please? (sri)

Submitted: 30/07/2012 14:45:55 | ID: 73654

Sarkhel Hawre, Iraq

Vauxhall Vectra 1997

I have a problem with my Vauxhall Vectra`s engine temperature. When I go forward and uphill at the same time the engine temperature goes up to 90 degrees. Is this normal?

Sounds reasonable for a modern engine operating somewhere where the climate’s warm and sunny. In the cold English winter mornings, mine tends to hover around the 80 - 85 mark Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 27/07/2012 09:48:39 | ID: 88380

Joe Lindsay, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Hello. I`ve got a Vauxhall Vectra Sri 1.9 tdi. The battery light came on the dash and abs light, air bag light, all lights lost power. I got it home and replaced the battery. The next day all lights went off for about 5 miles then started again, all lights on the dash whilst doing about 30mph but no speedo working or revs working. Any ideas? (sri tdi)

It sounds like a new alternator needed... it’s a pig of a job to do yourself but do-able.. Best way is to remove driver’s front wheel (for access) then remove air box (for access) then detach the 3 bolts holding the alternator in place, remove 12v cable and switch cable (tells the ecu the alternator is functioning) then it’s a slog then to lift the alternator upwards to rear of the engine by the fuel injection system, ease the pipes out the way and manouevre the alternator to ease it out... I read this is the only way to successfully release the flaming thing from the engine bay with out a full engine out job Mike Hopper from Staffordshire

Submitted: 24/07/2012 16:52:56 | ID: 88289

Omar Brown, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Hi there. My Vauxhall Vectra 2004 Sxi Cdti 8v won`t start. All I can hear is a clicking sound. What could be the problem please?

Sounds like your starter motor is sticking and needs replacing Andy from Oxfordshire

Submitted: 19/07/2012 11:34:59 | ID: 76038

Cliff Girling, Cambridgeshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

I`ve had a new battery fitted to my 51 plate Vauxhall Vectra diesel and now after about 10 miles the rev counter and speedometer jump and the trip counter resets itself. Also the dashboard lights flash on and then go off. Any ideas? Thanks.

Submitted: 17/07/2012 10:30:02 | ID: 87391

Barry Lavender, Middlesex

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Where is the dipstick on my Vauxhall Vectra`s automatic gearbox so I can check the fluid level?

There isn’t one! According to Vauxhall, Automatic gearboxes are normally filled for life, unless they’re being used in exceptionally harsh conditions. They are normally very reliable. If it’s working okay, leave well alone Doug Sinnott from England

Submitted: 16/07/2012 14:47:12 | ID: 86972

Alex Dance, Worcestershire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

The light with a spanner through a car keeps coming on in my Vauxhall Vectra. What does it mean?

As far as I am aware it is the service light. Your car needs one David Beasley from Lincolnshire

Your car needs code reading for any faults to see what is up with engine management/immobilizer systems Gareth Nichol from Yorkshire

I had the same problem, it turned out to be the lamba sensor on the exhaust, (showing the car was running lean). Just had it reset, absolutely nothing to do with needing a service Tony McCarron from Wales

Submitted: 09/07/2012 14:57:01 | ID: 78440

Alexander Allan, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

Would an Isofix child seat fit into a Vauxhall Vectra 2000?

Submitted: 06/07/2012 14:55:22 | ID: 87253

Telfer, Cornwall

Vauxhall Vectra 1997

Does my Vauxhall Vectra have a catalytic converter? (1.8 16 valve manual)

Yes it does and they`re a pain to change Paul from England

Submitted: 05/07/2012 11:10:01 | ID: 83065

Eryl Jones, Gwynedd

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My 1.8 Sxi Vauxhall Vectra won`t rev past four thousand revs. Does anyone know why it happens? The power is okay until it hits four thousand revs, then it loses power. Any ideas?

Not 100% sure but this could be a anti pollution fault. I had it happen on a Vectra I had. I found if booted or revved high I would get a light come on and then it would only rev to 3-4 thou rpm. I had a diognostic check done on it and this is what come up anti-pollution fault. After resetting via the laptop the car was fine, however this continually happened, especially when over-taking, when you would be revving higher, not the best time. So what I did was I sold the damn thing to an old man who does not go out of secound gear and no faster than 30 mph (problem solved) Carl Wozencroft from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 03/07/2012 09:31:49 | ID: 85239

Rich Hoblyn, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra won`t rev over 3000 revs. I had it plugged in, it was map sense, put a new one in but it`s still the same. Can anyone help me please?

Submitted: 03/07/2012 09:09:14 | ID: 85232

Alex Davidson, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

My Vauxhall Vectra diesel 150bhp is sluggish low down but then clears and there`s black smoke and then it runs fine. Can anybody advise me?

It could be the Exhaust Gas Recirculating Valve (egr) which needs cleaning or replacing Doug Sinnott from England

Submitted: 02/07/2012 16:02:35 | ID: 88882

Leon Bater, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1999

Hi. I`m hoping someone can help. I have a constant buzzing/ringing sound coming from behind the glovebox of my Vauxhall Vectra. As soon as I put my foot down on the accelerator it stops but when I take my foot off it starts again. Any ideas anyone what it could be? (LS 1.8 16v)

I had same sort of problem on my 1998 Vectra estate, mechanic found a mouse had chewed wiring causing a short he soon fixed. Best of luck, funny sort of answer but it solved my problem. Good luck Eric Taplin from Worcestershire

Submitted: 02/07/2012 14:23:42 | ID: 85185

Zoltan Krajczar, Herefordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Hi. When I fill up my Vauxhall Vectra 1.5 litre LPG with fuel I can only get 100 kilometers. Do I need to change the filters or sensors? Can anybody tell me what to do? (Bi fuel)

Submitted: 02/07/2012 11:44:17 | ID: 88894

Gordon Liddell, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Hi. I own a Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 dualfuel petrol/LPG. I am trying to find someone that can service the gas system with no luck. Does anyone have any idea of where I can go in the Glasgow area? (1.8 dualfuel petrol/lpg)

Submitted: 28/06/2012 12:17:41 | ID: 88687

Magdy Zoghby, Bahrain

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

Can I change a Vauxhall Vectra Opel 2001 B computer with that of a Vauxhall Astra Opel?

Submitted: 28/06/2012 12:14:42 | ID: 69821

Stuart, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

How do you replace the windscreen wiper stalk on a Vauxhall Vectra 2006?

Unclip the rubber gaiter from the steering column (wiggle it until it pops free) and slide it up the stalk a bit. There is a groove moulded into the very base of the stalk (where it plugs into the steering column), on the side of the stalk facing the driver’s chest. Straighten out a paper-clip and slide it into this groove and about an inch or so into the steering column to release the clip holding the stalk in. The easiest way to find where the groove is is to look at a picture of a stalk for sale on ebay (indicator or wiper stalk - either will do) and you’ll see the groove. When you’ve got the paperclip in correctly (which will take a few goes), the stalk will slide out with almost no effort. Do not yank it out, as if you brake the clip, the CIM (the bit inside the steering column) has to be replace (over £500) Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 28/06/2012 10:02:02 | ID: 88621

Barry Neale, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

The pipe on the clutch slave cylinder of my Vauxhall Vectra keeps popping out. How do I cure the problem? (SIR 2.2)

Submitted: 25/06/2012 11:36:29 | ID: 87964

Nigel Bonell, Shropshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Sometimes when I start my Vauxhall Vectra the battery light stays on and if I turn the car off and restart the car the light goes off. Does anybody have any answers please? (Sri)

The alternator is on its way out. My Vectra was the same, Change it soon or you`ll have to replace your battery as well Paul from England

Submitted: 22/06/2012 12:28:14 | ID: 88009

Phil Spencer, Northumberland

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

My Vauxhall Vectra cuts out when you restart it after a run. Any ideas please? (2.2 auto)

Submitted: 18/06/2012 11:40:28 | ID: 80358

Arshad Khan, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Hi. My Vauxhall Vectra cdti sri temperature gauge rises above 90 when it`s driven in the city or is parked up. Also when it reaches near 95 I think the fan comes on and it goes down a bit. Its not a steady temperature. What is causing this problem? (yc 57 ubz)

In your cooling system you have a valve near the radiator which should open when water is reaching 90 degrees. It sounds like you need to replace it. If you know how to take it out put it in boiling water, if it doesn’t open (pop open) replace it. If this valve is not working properly then it will result in high engine temperature. Not an expensive part but the labour will be more than the part, depending on where the valve is hidden Peter Kiss from England

Submitted: 15/06/2012 16:10:33 | ID: 87229