VAUXHALL VECTRA questions and answers: Page 13

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL VECTRA models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL VECTRA. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Contract hire image

Below are the latest VAUXHALL VECTRA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Andy Curtis, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra cut out last week while I was driving, with no previous warning or lights on the dash. The AA and garage had egr codes come up as a result of a diagnostic check. I have had new egr fitted. Now I get intermittent starting? It starts fine from cold, (no longer cuts out due to egr valve) and if I leave it an hour between journeys will start up, however if the engine is warm/hot it won`t start. Why is this?

Would like to help but mine is the same as yours. (Vauxhall Vectra 2002 5 door) Mine just stopped dead on a roundabout which is pretty scary, would like to solve this problem can anyone help me or andy to solve this problem? Brenda Kellett from Yorkshire

My vectra 2002 does the same after 1 mile it cuts out. The first couple of times it was local so I left it and went back an hour or so later and it started fine. I took to a local garage and it cut out while I was there. They checked the relay and found it had closed, so thought it was faulty. They ordered a new relay from the dealer, but that didn`t cure the problem. However, I found if you open the relay manually the car will start, so when the ignition is on and relay is opened (I used the tip of a cable tie) you can hear the fuel pump in the rear of the car making a noise, hence the car will start. The relay is closed when the ignition is on, but no noise from rear pump on tank, so the car will not start. Today I drove 80 miles hassle free, no stops, no hiccups. One thing though if you drive and leave the car standing for say several hours with the relay open (live), even if the ignition is off you can hear the pump hence a flat battery if you forget (not funny)! There are two relays, it’s the front one, I only know this because I watched the mechanics like a hawk when they were assessing the fault as I only know th very basics about engines ("Get away?" I hear you say). Most people would find this a pain, but it keeps me on the road until I can afford a main dealer’s rates. The bottom line is why is relay closing after 1 mile, cooling down 1 to 2 hours later? I’ve got this temporary fix down to 10 seconds, it keeps me moving. I would run this by someone in the know, (I will too), but if anyone takes my car they won’t get far! So, EGR valve? Throttle body dirty? I think overheating relay maybe? I’ll watch this space for a cure, but I’m still on the move. Cars hey? Regards. George from Kent

Submitted: 13/12/2012 10:33:45 | ID: 81883

Scott Gilbert, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Hi, I hope someone can help. I`ve just bought a 55 plate Vauxhall Vectra sri 1.9cdti 120 bhp and when I turn the heating on I get a noise like a bird chirping from underneath the glovebox. I`ve spoken to a garage who said that no way can they repair it, they just wanted me to buy a whole new motor heater and resistor costing nearly £200. Any ideas how I can just get rid of this noise till after Christmas? Cheers.

Hi Scott, I have the same model with the same problem. The noise goes when I turn the fan speed up. I think it is a loose bit of something flapping about in the vent somewhere. I intend to remove the trim and interior to access where I can hear the noise as soon as we get a couple of dry days. I’ll report back when I do Johnny from England

If the noise changes with fan speed, then it’s likely that the fan motor bearings have dried out (the grease on them at the factory has degraded to the point that it’s no longer lubricating them). Officially this means a new fan / motor assembley, but experience has shown that it’s possible to remove and oil the thing sufficiently that it works properly once again Paul Marchant from England

Had same noise on my wife’s 3.2 GSI. Told by a Vauxhall garage that the heater motor needed replacing, costing several hundred pounds. A friend with own independdent garage found that a clip holding the pollen filter housing had fallen onto the motor causing the same noise. Hope this helps Chris Beard from Lancashire

Submitted: 13/12/2012 09:52:38 | ID: 65007

Robert Milligan, Northumberland

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

I have a lot off difficulty trying to get my Vauxhall Vectra`s driver`s side window to go down. I have to press down really hard and move about to different parts of the button to get it to move down. It goes up fine. What can I do?

It sounds like the switch has started to fail. It’s generally not worth the effort of trying to disassemble the switch to fix it, as they are available cheaply S/H from ebay or scrapyards, and it’s the same amount of effort / labour to replace the switch as it is to remove, fiddle about with, and re-install the existing one. The only other possibility is a partly dislodged / corroded plug or socket associated with the switch or it’s wiring loom. 99% of the time it’s the switch Paul Marchant from England

Had same problem. Spray WD40 on mechanism, that is the likly problem Dave Courtney from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 11/12/2012 15:53:04 | ID: 64968

Mike, Berkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

My Vauxhall Vectra 2003 5-door saloon`s rear doors won’t open after a battery change. New battery was fitted, the old original was dead and now the central locking won’t unlock both rear doors. The lock ’pops up’and neither the external nor internal door-handles on the rear-doors can open the rear doors. Both front doors open okay and the boot opens okay with the central locking. The rear doors were opening both with central locking and manually before the battery change. I’ve no mechanical skills. How do I fix this?

Submitted: 11/12/2012 14:18:09 | ID: 64921

Daniel Syder, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Does anyone know if my Vauxhall Vectra`s glow plugs only come on if below a certain temperature? Where I live it never really gets below 8 degrees and the car is hard to start in the morning or if left for a few hours to cool down! If I disconnect the head temperature sensor then the dash light for the plugs comes on and it starts perfectly. I have changed the sensor, the glow plugs (all 4 ), new battery and fuel filter. There are no faults with diagnostics and the car drives perfectly, it`s just on first start up. I have been told that the plugs only come in if below 5 degrees, this can`t be true can it? Any advice please people? (2.2 dti)

It sounds like the engine temperature sensor (CTS or coolant temperature sensor) has failed and is mis-reporting the engine temperature to the engine computer. This will leave the engine computer thinking the engine’s warm. The fuelling of modern engines varies according to their operating temperature (similarly to having to use the choke on a petrol engine from years gone by). Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 11/12/2012 12:26:50 | ID: 64870

Colin, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Hi. My Vauxhall Vectra starts first time no problem, but as soon as I touch the accelerator it revs flat out. Any clues? Thanks. (elite)

Depending upon which engine’s fitted to your car it may be electronic throttle (where the accelerator pedal is not connected directly to the engine throttle via a mechanical cable assembley much like a bicycle brake cable), which provides an electrical signal to a little motor assembley at the engine throttle. It seems likely that the accelerator pedal position sensor (located in the driver’s footwell behind and above the pedal) has failed (or, just possibly the wiring associated with it). A mechanic with a suitable diagnostics computer can ask the engine computer about the accelerator pedal position, and see the readings change in real-time as the pedal is depressed and released). This will confirm or exclude the pedal sensor as being faulty. In theory, it could be a similar fault occurring at the throttle assembley on top of the engine, but experience has shown your symptoms are more likely to point to the pedal sensor Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 11/12/2012 11:13:56 | ID: 64806

Louis Lofts, Norfolk

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

I have purchased a Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 SRI Direct on a 58 plate and noticed that there is a slight whirring noise only in 1st and 2nd gear when the vehicle is slowing down whilst in those gears. The engine light is on amber as well. The vehicle went back to the dealer about the engine light and they advised they fixed it as it was a sensor, however the light still remains on. Any ideas? (2.2 SRI Direct)

If the engine check (MIL or malfunction indicator lamp) is on, then the engine computer thinks there is or was a fault. If the fault has been repaired, then it is normal practice for a mechanic to plug a diagnostics computer into the car and ’clear’ the stored fault information. If the light comes back on then the engine computer still thinks there is a fault. Plugging a diagnostics computer in will allow a mechanic to ’ask’ the engine computer what it’s unhappy about and diagnose any remaining faults. With modern computerised engines such as yours, the only sensible way to proceed is with the above paragraph, and it usually leads to quick and accurate diagnosis Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 04/12/2012 10:08:30 | ID: 64319

Dave Pountney, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

I have a Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 Elite first registered June 2002 engine no 110542288. Does this need a new timing chain oiler to be fitted or would this have been done before it was purchased? I bought the vehicle when it was just over a year old, so I have no idea if it was fitted prior to original purchase. I have been told all vehicles were automatically fitted with this after March 2002, but is that the registration date or when the engine was made? (Elite auto 2.2)

These engines were fitted with an oil-jet to lubricate the chain which had an orifice that was very small and prone to clogging (particularly if the engine oil was not changed frequently enough). There is a revised timing-chain kit which includes a replacement oil jet with a larger orifice which is much less prone to clogging up. If the oil-jet clogs up, then there is no lubrication to the chain and sprockets and they wear to the point of failure very quickly. If the chain snaps on your particular model of engine severe and expensive damage occurs as the pistons will strike the inlet / outlet valves. The original design-spec was that the chain and sprockets were good for the life of the engine, but many failures and consequent engine damage were reported. There is little warning of timing chain failure (it can generate a rattling noise from the timing chain case area, on the side of the engine where the air-filter housing is). I don’t believe there was a Vauxhall recall for this. The timing chain kit is expensive (about £200 - £250) and it’s labour intensive (read expensive) to fit. Timing chain breakage however, is much much more expensive to sort out. A Vauxhall dealership may be able to look your car up on their computer and determine whether a Vauxhall dealer has replaced it as a paid job prior to your ownership, but it seems very unlikely to me that it would have been replaced in the first year on the road Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 03/12/2012 14:46:51 | ID: 63961

Louise Lopez, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

A mechanic says there is water in my Vauxhall Vectra`s engine and that I must have gone through a puddle and it is not repairable? I am not aware of going through any puddles. What can I do?

Submitted: 29/11/2012 16:40:11 | ID: 63852

Sean, Wiltshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

After switching on the ignition, I get a rat-tat-tatting noise coming from the engine bay of my Vauxhall Vectra, which stops after about 15 seconds and returns for shorter periods of time. Any ideas please?

Same here, I bet it is the throttle body flapping the butterfly valve, watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn2jlrrq5Lo and listen. I have no answers yet but I’m working on it. Yours, Simon Markham from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 29/11/2012 16:00:52 | ID: 63850

David Ferguson, Ayrshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

I bought a Vauxhall Vectra yesterday in Lancs, by the time I drove 200 miles home, my knee was very sore as the accelerator seemed very stiff. My wife can hardly drive it as the pedal is so stiff. Also the ABS light comes on intermittently. What`s the problem? (1.8)

Submitted: 29/11/2012 15:21:20 | ID: 63818

Mick, Ireland

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

Hi. I have a Vauxhall Vectra 00 opel 2.0dtii. The abs light stays on the whole time. I`ve tried plugging it in with a scan tool but it wont communicate. Any suggestions?

Not all scan tools will communicate with the ABS computer - cheap ones will only talk to the engine computer. The dearer ones will talk to all the car’s computers Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 29/11/2012 11:18:46 | ID: 63607

David Taylor, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

How many miles could I travel once my Vauxhall Vectra`s petrol light comes on? This happened for the first time on Sunday. Kind regards.

There’s no meaningful answer to this, because depending upon speed (faster uses more fuel per mile), your choice of gear (a correctly selected higher gear uses less fuel per mile) and terrain (uphill uses more fuel per mile than downhill). Your car should have a display above the radio on the dashboard. Depending upon which one (MID / TID etc) is fitted to your car you potentially can get it to display the estimated ’range’ - i.e. how far the trip computer thinks (based upon your recent driving style as above) it thinks you have left before the tank is empty. You may have steering wheel buttons to control it, or it may be three buttons on the end of the windscreen wiper stalk. Your owners manual, some looking and a bit of common sense will tell you if this is the case with your particular car. Never run a modern car out of petrol / diesel as it can cause damage to the fuel pump and injectors. If in doubt, buy more fuel a bit sooner, rather than later Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 29/11/2012 11:08:36 | ID: 63572

Dave Stenson, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

I have just changed my Vauxhall Vectra`s front passenger side headlight unit and it`s caused all sorts of problems. The car would start up but wouldn`t rev and the indicator light stayed on constantly. I changed the bulbs from the old unit to the new one and I got power back to my revs, but the indicator light still stays on constantly. Any ideas on what I should do please? (club)

It sounds like you’ve damaged some of the wiring going to the headlight, possibly snagging it on a sharp bit of bodywork and cutting through the insulation causing one or more of the wires to short circuit to the bodywork. Close careful inspection of the wiring loom (and judicious application of insulating tape to the damaged bit) is likely to sort this out Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 29/11/2012 10:18:00 | ID: 63600

Martyn Stinton, Torfaen

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

When I start my Vauxhall Vectra I hear a whistling sound which I think is coming from the alternator. This morning whilst driving all my lights inside and out went off then came back on after a few seconds. There was no problem with the engine but I did notice that if I revved up the engine the lights went off, if I took my foot off the lights came back on. I did hear a clicking noise from the passenger side near the glovebox when the lights went off and on. What`s causing this?

Submitted: 27/11/2012 11:19:48 | ID: 63486

Alan Griffin, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

I have a heating problem on my 52 plate Vauxhall Vectra 18sri, the blowers are working but there is no heat coming out on any stage. What should I do?

Submitted: 27/11/2012 09:59:59 | ID: 63472

Kevin Wills, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I have lost all my Vauxhall Vectra`s interior sounds ie the seat belt alarm, the indicator sound and the alarm that goes off when you open the door when the lights are on. What can I do?

Submitted: 26/11/2012 10:27:04 | ID: 63340

Mark, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

When I put my Vauxhall Vectra`s indicators on there is no clicking noise anymore although the indicators work. Also when the headlights are left on after the ignition is switched off there is no noise to let you know that they are still on. What should I do?

Submitted: 23/11/2012 08:52:58 | ID: 59846

Eddy Meese, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

My Vauxhall Vectra`s battery warning light started to come on intermittently and draining my battery. I had it tested at car spares and was told there`s no charge from the alternator. I had a replacement fitted and it was okay for about 60 miles local driving and then the fault returned. The battery light normally comes on for about 30 seconds after starting the engine and other times it just happens as and when. Can anybody help me? (1.9 cdti sri [150]

Submitted: 22/11/2012 11:16:54 | ID: 59867

Michelle Summerfield, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

How do you remove the cigarette lighter section from a Vauxhall Vectra 52 model? I have tried changing the fuse and it still does not work so I need to replace the whole thing. How do I do this? Thanks.

Pull up the ashtray and pull out the storage hole. Then pull up the gaiter and remove the surround. Then you should be able to unplug it from underneath then it should pop straight out. Hope this helps Sam Pardoe from Caerphilly

Submitted: 19/11/2012 11:44:41 | ID: 55167

Andy Sims, Kent

Vauxhall Vectra 1998

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Vectra Sri 140. the stereo cuts out, then comes back on, but when it does cut out the speedo and rev counter stop and I have no indicators as well. Please can anyone help me out?

Submitted: 16/11/2012 11:54:20 | ID: 93031

Glenn Hanson, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

When I turn off the engine of my Vauxhall Vectra and get out of the car and lock it up, the light on the multi information display above the stereo stays on and will not go out and it keeps flattening the car battery. What can I do to solve this problem? (2.5 v6 gsi)

Submitted: 16/11/2012 08:39:53 | ID: 93035

Andrew Brady, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2000

Hi, can anyone tell me why I can`t get an aerial signal on my Vauxhall Vectra`s stereo and where the aerial is situated, it is all plugged into the back of the stereo but I get no response? (sri 140)

Hi. The usual cause of no signal to the radio is when the radio is changed to an aftermarket Radio The reason is there are Signal Amplifiers fitted near the Aerial these are powered from the Radio. So as when the radio is off so are the Amps I had this problem VHF Was fine but MW and LW would not work. With the help of a Haynes Manual I traced the wiring from the amps to the connector block behind the radio I used the 12v+ feed for an electric Aerial (which was surplus as no Electric Aerial on a Vectra) this fixed the problem. Otherwise it could be a faulty Radio! Try a length of Insulated wire in place of the car aerial, you need about 10ft roughly. If you get a signal on the Radio then investigate the Aerial problem William Westlake from Devon

Submitted: 15/11/2012 12:17:17 | ID: 92971

AJ, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Hi. I have a Vauxhall Vectra Elite 150bhp 55plate. I just have changed the power steering pump 3 weeks ago. The power steering light came back on and then went off again. The steering wheel seems to be little heavier than normal. Does anyone know what else could the problem be?

Submitted: 15/11/2012 09:53:55 | ID: 92899

Patrick Maher, Ireland

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Does anyone know how to change a front fog light unit on a Vauxhall Vectra as mine is damaged? I would like to do it myself if possible as I don,t have the money to bring to a garage. Thank you.

Quite straight forward, each fog light has 3 screws and a plug, undo screws and plug then fog light will come out from the back of bumper. Fit bulb while unit is out because the new unit cover will be a tight fit then re fit light a pug wire back in. Job done Matt Sarling from England

Submitted: 12/11/2012 15:45:56 | ID: 92414

Thomas Nulty, County Antrim

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

My Vauxhall Vectra`s engine needs several turns before starting. The glow plugs and relays are okay. Has anyone any ideas? (1.9cdti sri (120)

Hi, sounds to me that the starter motor is worn. Have this checked out at your local mechanical garage Matt from Essex

Submitted: 12/11/2012 15:41:05 | ID: 92410

Graham More, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

Hi. I drove my Vauxhall Vectra to the petrol station this morning, put my petrol in and paid. I got back in the car and tried to start it but it just turned over. After removing the key I checked the receipt to make sure I had put petrol in which I had. I tried again and it started but wouldn`t rev or accelerate so I drove home in what seemed like limp mode. Any ideas please? (1.8 Sri)

Hi, had the same problem in my 1.8 Sri. The problem: I found the cat had melted and this was quite sudden - fine one day gone the next. Best thing to do is get an emissions test done to confirm this before replacing cat at about £490 including sensor Matt from England

Submitted: 12/11/2012 12:03:31 | ID: 92320

Michael Giffard, Bedfordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra had a flat battery so I jump started it and now my speedo does not work and it does not pick up. The speedo was very good. After a few miles the battery light with a spanner comes on. Can anyone help? Cheers.

Submitted: 06/11/2012 14:20:41 | ID: 91273

Pete, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

There is a battery drainage problem with my Vauxhall Vectra. Recently a new alternator was fitted, which appears to be working as required at 14+V output. Also a new battery was fitted. The vehicle will start 3 or 4 times on a fully charged battery, but will then not start again. When the key is put in the ignition the dashboard lights go out and when turned they all flicker. Checking the battery, it shows below 12V. The same thing happened after a second new battery was fitted. The apparent battery drain is only 100mA. A full diagnostics of the electrics/electronics show no found faults. Any ideas? (Life CDTi 120)

Starter motor faulty. Dead short inside. Worth a try Bruck Morton from England

Same problem with mine. I found my battery was dead every morning after locking the car with central locking. I locked the car at night with the key in the door instead, then in the morning unlocked the car with the key in the door and it started up first time. Think I have a battery drain on my vehicle interior module. Battery drain of 100ma is a lot if left for say 12 hrs depending on how good your battery is in the first place. Hope this helps Dylan Clarke from Lancashire

The problem has now been identified by Vauxhall. There was a micro short in the alternator. The slightest vibration could make this occur or not. Also, sometimes the battery light would come on while the alternator was actually charging the battery. Everyone initially said this was impossible, even Vauxhall themselves!! But the alternator fault was causing this somehow. No one has found out exactly why, as the light turns on when the battery is discharging. Another bit of info from Vauxhall, the ECU will not allow the car to start if the battery voltage falls much below 12v. That was the cause of the dashboard lights going out and flickering on the turn of the key. A third new alternator appears to have solved all the original problems Pete from England

Submitted: 05/11/2012 16:03:50 | ID: 91279

Michael Codd, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

About 6 months ago I had a new fuel pump and regulator fitted on my Vauxhall Vectra and an ecu valve and my car worked fine. Two weeks ago I got back in the car from shopping and the car started but cut out straight away. I had it taken to a garage and they advised me they can`t find what the problem is so I had the AA come out and they told me it`s the fuel pressure sensor, as it was only reading 0.2 when it should be reading between 5-8. I was just asking if anyone actually knew this was the problem as I don’t want to spend any more money on it as a fuel sensor is over £100? Please can anyone help?

You might check if there are any filters in the tank or in the line. Is it more of a problem when the tank is low? Humphrey Lees from France

Submitted: 01/11/2012 14:29:19 | ID: 68701

Darren, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

Hi all. After about 5-10 minutes after starting my Vauxhall Vectra`s engine, all of the dials go back to zero and stay off till I turn the engine off then back on, but all the lights stay on. Any ideas please? Many thanks.

Sounds like an earth problem, best thing to seek out a good alto electrcian to check wiring Matt from England

I had the same problem. I went to Vauxhall maintenance and they told me that the software of the car is damaged and they installed new software and from that time it works fine Gahtan from Cardiff

Here is a known issue on this mark of Vectra where the big electrical plug going into the back of the ABS unit under the bonnet suffers from tarnished pins. The ABS unit (believe it or not) passes a lot of the instrument panel’s signals through this connector as part of the car’s CAN network which allows all of the different computers in the car to talk to each other. It can sometimes be sorted by disconnecting the battery, and then unplugging / replugging the connector a number of times to wipe the contacts clean of corrosion. If left for too long, then this procedure is unsucessful. There is a repair kit available from Vauxhall which is basically a replacement connector to fix this problem. It’s time consuming to fit though, as there are many wires which need to be removed from the old plug and connected to the replacement. Alternatively, some owners have suffered from failing dashboard instruments due to an electronics fault with the instrument cluster itself. This is much rarer than the connector problem described above though Paul Marchant from England

Submitted: 30/10/2012 10:57:37 | ID: 89165

Medo, Swansea

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

My Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 model 2007`s headlight and dashboard lights keep flickering, sometimes for a few minutes at a time. I took it to a Vauxhall dealer for a check-up but they told me they could not find any problems! I was really surprised about their feedback. My car has only done 35,000 miles, I do not use it so much. The funny thing is the lights stop flickering for a while when I open the driver`s door, open the car bonnet and if I put the headlight switch on then the flickering goes away. So please can anyone help? I would greatly appreciate it.

I had a similar problem with dashboard blinking, but no response when I open the door as you do have. Problem was solved when I replaced the battery and put 70 amps instead of the original 55 amps. First check the battery terminals + and -, they can be loose or dirty and make poor contact. Maybe you have a different problem, in my case it helped. Good luck mate Van Rake from Netherlands

I get this clicking behind glove box and even when the lights are off it makes the headlights flash as well, really frustrating. I have no idea... Anyone? Chris Homewood from England

Yes, the battery is flat if there is a clicking noise. Charge your battery Richard Barrington-House from Somerset

Submitted: 30/10/2012 10:45:41 | ID: 89189

Andrew Robinson, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

Every time I switch my Vauxhall Vectra`s lights on the rear fog lights come on and the symbol illuminates on the dash. The problem is they won’t turn off, the switch doesn’t seem to work and short of removing the fuse or bulbs I’m at a loss. Any ideas? (SRI 130)

This is likely to be a bad earth or connection at the rear lamps causing the power to ’leak’ into the other lamps. Disconnect, clean and WD40 (lightly) the connectors to both rear lights, including any earth wires from the lamp to the body. You can add a separate earth wire from one of the lamps black wire to the body to check if it is an earth problem, if so you can either trace the bad earth connection or leave the extra earth wire in place! Stephen Powell from England

Vauxhall Vectra symbol illuminates on the dash, check rear fog light. But on checking and replacing all bulbs which all are working just fine the symbol still stays on i had a friend check with a meter which read high wattage i have check and cleaned all plugs and wiring david cunningham from East Sussex

Submitted: 25/10/2012 11:42:07 | ID: 66571

Dave Ceesay, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

I’ve found out that my Vauxhall Vectra has water on the driver`s side footwell as well as at the back on the passenger`s side. I’ve done everything to find the fault. Any ideas please? Thank you.

Hi, I had same problem... Check your rubber above your windows... as water runs down the door and after time carpets are soaked... quick solution put black electric tape around top of rubber... Richard Goodwin from Kent

There is a draining hole at the back of the engine bay where the pollen filter is. Check that it`s not blocked as this will tend to throw water into the car Martin Keys from England

Try looking where the air filter is, a little hole should be underneath but gets blocked up, just clean it out David from Hampshire

Submitted: 23/10/2012 09:30:05 | ID: 66291

Elliot Maison, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Vauxhall Vectra 1999

My Vauxhall Vectra`s cigarette lighter fuse blew the other day and after numerous attempts to find the correct one I changed the blown one. Since then my car has had to be jump started. It starts okay but it seems to struggle to start. There is nothing left on overnight. I`d check the alternator but I`m wondering if the fuse change has something to do with it. Any ideas? (b)

It is more than likely the fuse blowing was an indicator of a problem that is causing your earth drain. Try leaving the cigarette lighter fuse out overnight and see if the battery still drains, if so then it’s likely unrelated. If not then replace the cigarette lighter unit as it’s likely dirty or corroded and causing leakage through the element to earth overnight Stephen Powell from England

Submitted: 22/10/2012 12:00:37 | ID: 66252

Robert Taylor, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 1997

Hi. I recently purchased my Vauxhall Vectra and submitted it for a service. After getting it back I had to re-enter the code for the radio/cassette, no problem there. The blaupunkt cd changer also needed the code entered but when I tried to enter it it says cd 4 safe. I have the original code for this on the car pass but I`m assuming the changer is blocked. I have followed the correct procedure for entering the code from the handbook. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Submitted: 19/10/2012 16:30:51 | ID: 65246

Paul West, Kent

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

My Vauxhall Vectra`s abs light comes on after about 5 minutes after start up and stays on. The abs system is working as far as I know. I have been told the fault lies with a bad connection in the fuse box. I have replaced the abs circuit fuse and wiggled and checked fuses and relays but this makes no difference. Can anyone shed anymore light on my problem please? Thank you.

Clean the stepped rings ABS sensor rings on the driveshafts behind the wheels, look for splits, if there is one you have to replace the ring (heat on/off) unfortunately it’s driveshaft off to do it. The break in the ring causes the sensor in the hub to mis-read giving the symptoms you have. Otherwise it could be the magnetic sensor on the hub (follow the wires), they pull out to replace (tricky!) Stephen Powell from England

Take it to a mechanic with the correct diagnostics computer that can ’ask’ the ABS computer why it’s unhappy and showing the fault light on the dashboard. With modern computerized cars, this is the only sensible way to proceed with diagnosis of a problem. It will typically immediately identify whether the fault is with a wheel sensor and it’s wiring, or whether the ABS computer has an electronics fault, or whether the fault lies in the ABS modulator, thus allowing for a prompt and cost-effective repair Paul Marchant from England

Hello, I have the same problem with my ABS Light will not go off. I have had a diagnostics test but the results are clear. The ABS light first came on after I have replaced my locking system fuse. This problem has been on going for a month now, my MOT is due and we can not find the problem. Can anyone help? FAYE PERRY from Yorkshire

Submitted: 19/10/2012 12:54:17 | ID: 65201

Alan, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

I have replaced my Vauxhall Vectra`s air flow sensor and the fault keeps coming up saying airflow sensor and going into limp mode. When I put it back on the computer it`s removed the problem and it says it`s fine, then I drive down the road and it comes back on. I have tried 2 brand new airflow sensors so I need help please. All wires look fine and have no damage, I have even cleaned the connections. Any suggestions please? (2.0 dti)

The ’Aitflow Sensor’ covers a multitude of intake problems and isn’t specific to that component (unless it really is at fault which yours clearly now isn’t). The likely culprit on many cars (including yours) is the EGR valve, blocked or faulty, either the valve or hoses connecting it or the manifold connector being sooted up. You could try removal and clean of the EGR valve (carb cleaner will help) and clear of the EGR pipes, or replace the faulty EGR valve for a new one. Best of luck Stephen Powell from England

Submitted: 19/10/2012 09:13:07 | ID: 65185

Dave Adams, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2001

Hi. I’ve a 2001 Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 dti that needs injector seals fitted. Does the camshaft need to be removed to allowed injectors to be removed?

No, however you must take great care in replacing the seals and they are tricky do do properly, any knocks or damage to the injectors tip will be costly. If you are not 100% confident I’d ask some local garage advice or for help Stephen Powell from England

Submitted: 18/10/2012 12:15:48 | ID: 65163

Sally Wilkinson, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2002

My Vauxhall Vectra 2002 1.8 petrol manual has started making a whirring noise when I accelerate. By the time I am in fifth gear it has stopped, but since it started two days ago it`s getting increasingly worse. I recently had some new valves and a timing belt fitted and it drove really well, but now it`s started doing this. It sounds like it`s metal catching on something but the car still drives okay. Any suggestions?

Sounds like clutch Graham Davis from Sussex

Go back to garage and get them to check their work Matt from England

Submitted: 15/10/2012 15:59:39 | ID: 64101