VAUXHALL MERIVA questions and answers

VAUXHALL Meriva

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL MERIVA models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL MERIVA. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL MERIVA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

mick, Surrey

Vauxhall Meriva

Vauxhall meriva door to boot won't open told it is a broken wire as it was repaired by the aa once before how do I get the door open to make the repair

Submitted: 17/04/2014 13:47:08 | ID: 94365

Laurence Bartley, Tyne and Wear

Vauxhall Meriva

Hi, does anyone have a problem reading the engine oil level on the dipstick, you can never seem to get an accurate reading, it either shows it too far up on one side but on the other side no oil shown at all. Do you know if they have changed this type of dipstick or is there something i need to do to get a reliable oil reading.

Submitted: 17/04/2014 09:46:04 | ID: 94356

emma, Greater London

Vauxhall Meriva

Hope you can help me? I brought a Meriva this week 06 plate and have noticed that when I'm pulling up to stop it jerks forward I know that this is normal but am wondering if it's something to worry about ? Thank you Emma

Submitted: 11/04/2014 16:07:38 | ID: 94097

Gary Titchmarsh, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

I have a 2010 Vauxhall Meriva 1.4. Since heavy braking the brake pedal has a metallic twang when the pedal returns back up. Operation is okay, just a very annoying noise. Can you throw any light on this?

Submitted: 08/04/2014 15:49:28 | ID: 93976

George, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

I was having trouble with the sensors on my Vauxhall Meriva so I changed the lamba sensors. Then a code showing air flow sensor appeared so I sprayed special cleaner on it and since then my car is flashing an f on the dash. The car starts but won’t go into any gears. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 08/04/2014 09:13:11 | ID: 93954

Kenneth Jones, Hampshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2012

How do you move the headrests on my Vauxhall Meriva backwards and forwards on the front seats (not up or down)? (SE)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 11:28:21 | ID: 93995

Sharon Wakenshaw, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

How do I change my Vauxhall Meriva`s display from farenheit to celsius?

Hello Sharon, I'm not an expert but i'll have a go. Press the menu button on the front of the left stick. Information menu appears. If you then twist the menu control bit near the end of the left stick the display changes to 'units' and displays the current selected units. Next (not sure on this bit) either press the menu button again or twist the stick or press the button at the end (whichever works!) to change the unit type. It will either be metric or imperial. That that change the display from farenheit to Celsius. Thanks Alexander Bedwell from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 07/04/2014 11:26:46 | ID: 93994

David Cooke, Devon

Vauxhall Meriva 2008

When does the cambelt on a Vauxhall Meriva 08 need changing?

Submitted: 03/04/2014 08:40:30 | ID: 93794

Douglas Crow, Stirlingshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Meriva 1.6 Life 8v (2004 Plate). I have had the car for just under a year and have encountered a problem. When idling the revs go up and down intermittently and the car occasionally cuts out. I have checked this out on the internet and apparently this is a common problem with Vauxhall Merivas, but when I took it to my local Vauxhall garage in Grangemouth they denied it is a known problem and wanted to charge me £108 for a diagnostic, then any additional labour and material charges which may be needed to rectify it after that. There is no guarantee that they will be able to pinpoint it (even with expert mechanics and up to date diagnostics equipment...). Given the fact it is an 04 plate I am reluctant to spend a great deal of money getting it sorted and I don’t have a lot of confidence in the Vauxhall dealership, as they want to sort it but apparently have no knowledge of the problem so it could end up costing me more than the car is worth. I have also had a new EGR Valve fitted and a new crankshaft sensor fitted. Any suggestions please?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 15:22:26 | ID: 93681

Clive Chambers, Middlesex

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

How do I replace the horn buttons on my Vauxhall Meriva? I have already bought replacements but find they have 5 plastic "latches". Two have outward prongs and the other 3 are inward cup types. I can easily slip a knife in to try a release off the outward prongs but the plastic button is held fast by the 3 remaining inward cup type latches which I cannot get to. I am nervous about messing up the finish of the steering wheel and of course setting off the air bag. Please can you help?(Life)

Submitted: 24/03/2014 15:58:19 | ID: 62997

Andy S, Carmarthenshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

My local garage didn’t have a diagnostic machine so the electronic handbrake on my Vauxhall Meriva 2010 could not be switched off before winding the rear brake piston in to replace the rear pads. Any idea how much it costs to change pads, not the same as a pull up handbrake?

A Vauxhall main dealer would change them and charge £100 including pads and VAT. To Day from Carmarthenshire

Submitted: 24/03/2014 09:59:15 | ID: 63203

Andrew Davies, Carmarthenshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

Do you need a diagnostic machine to change rear pads on a 2010 Vauxhall Meriva due to the electric handbrake can`t rewind brake piston back without one? If you wind it back without diagnostic will this damage the main brain?

Submitted: 24/03/2014 09:51:49 | ID: 63201

Naomi Malpas, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

Hi. My Vauxhall Meriva`s airbag warning light is on and it has failed its MOT. The MOT place said if the light is off it will pass but with an advisory. Please could someone tell me how I can turn the light off until I can get it fixed please?

Submitted: 21/03/2014 11:58:54 | ID: 63172

Lucy Swain, Cheshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2003

Hi, can anyone please help me? I was driving my Vauxhall Meriva and the engine cut out so I rang AA and waited 2 hours for them to come out. When they finally got to me the engine started up first time. He couldn`t find anything that would cause it to stop! Since then I have made only small journeys and I`m alright getting there but the car won`t start again for at least an hour! No lights on the dash, no codes on the diagnostics. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

That also happened to my 2010 Meriva and I had to go to the main dealer. They said it was due to the exhaust system and that I should travel for 5 miles on a motorway in 4th gear once a week to remove any exhaust soot that might have built up. Sounds stupid but I do that. Andrew D from Carmarthenshire

I had a similar problem and called the AA out, I took it to a Vauxhall main dealer and it is to do with exhaust gasses and the build up of soot. They cleaned the part which they said caused the engine to fail and I was told to drive for at least 4/5 miles in 4th gear on motorway keeping revs about 2500-3000 rpm once a week other times you would be in 5th cant find receipt for their exact terminology. Good Luck. Andrew Davies from Carmarthenshire

Submitted: 20/03/2014 10:54:11 | ID: 62990

Victor Lake, Norfolk

Vauxhall Meriva 2011

My Vauxhall Meriva`s petrol cap flap will not lock, all other doors etc lock. What`s the problem please? (S)

Submitted: 18/03/2014 10:08:21 | ID: 62984

Nick, Sussex

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

I do not have a trip computer on my Vauxhall Meriva. Is it possible to fit an after market unit? Is it just a matter of changing the left hand steering column stalk or is it a much more complex task? (1.7 cdti 130)

Submitted: 17/03/2014 11:47:48 | ID: 62899

Richard Kelly, County Londonderry

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

Hi. I got a new clutch fitted last year and my Vauxhall Meriva is driving great but in the last few weeks the gears are feeling sticky and hard to get into at times. Any suggestions what`s causing this? (1.7 cdti)

Submitted: 11/03/2014 10:03:00 | ID: 62750

Ian Wlaker, Aberdeenshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2012

I have a Vauxhall Meriva 2013 model. How do you change from fahrenheit to celsius on the info display? (Techline)

Submitted: 10/03/2014 11:47:23 | ID: 62679

Robert Smith, Bedfordshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2005

I was going to change the front brakes, but the wheel brace bent while trying to undo the wheel nuts - lucky I never had a puncture while travelling! Has any body else had this problem?

Submitted: 09/03/2014 16:32:09 | ID: 62698

Di, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2011

The internal temperature gauge in my Vauxhall Meriva is in degrees Farenheit. Can this be changed to show Centigrade? If so how? I have tried the obvious but no luck.

Submitted: 06/03/2014 09:26:11 | ID: 62579

Kenneth Shaw, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

Should the air conditioning be automatically switched on with the ignition of the engine of my Vauxhall Meriva?

Submitted: 21/02/2014 10:56:57 | ID: 62126

Mike Dowsing, Worcestershire

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

Hi. My Vauxhall Meriva`s rear wiper stops and starts, mid wipe. Does this sound like the switch on the steering column, or the actual motor? Any advice would be appreciated. (1.6 Design)

Submitted: 18/02/2014 12:43:05 | ID: 62204

Rudi Puchert, South Africa

Vauxhall Meriva 2005

Hi all. My Vauxhall Meriva’s driver`s door is giving me trouble. It will unlock with the central locking, but if I close the door from the outside it can`t be opened again as the central lock catches and then locks by itself. It seems that the "knob" lowers somewhat and then it causes the door to lock if you try and pull on the lever. Does anyone know what I can do?

Submitted: 14/02/2014 14:38:48 | ID: 62055

Hugh Hull, County Antrim

Vauxhall Meriva 2005

My Vauxhall Meriva`s passenger side footwell is very wet. There`s no sign of where the water is coming in. Any suggestions? (1. 7 cdt)

Submitted: 14/02/2014 10:25:54 | ID: 62034

Hugo Grobler, South Africa

Vauxhall Meriva 2003

Good day. My Vauxhall Meriva Opel`s engine cut out and wouldn`t start, but when I towed it and put the ignition on and put it into second gear it started but it wouldn`t idle. Also if the revs are low the car dies and will not start. When turning the key the engine turns over but won`t start, only if it is being towed. I checked my timing and the timing is right on the car. What can the problem be? If it starts it`s running fine with no power loss or noises from the engine, but won`t idle and the engine cuts off. Please help? Regards. (1.6 16 valva)

Submitted: 06/02/2014 14:50:05 | ID: 61772

Bablis Khanom, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2005

My diesel Vauxhall Meriva seems to cut out after ignition, but when I accelerate for about 50 seconds or more after turning on the ignition it seems to be ready to drive off. Can you tell me if this is right and if not what can possibly be wrong?

I had this problem and it turned out to be connected with the diesel pump, it cost about £200 to get sorted. Hope this helps. Richard Kelly from County Londonderry

Submitted: 04/02/2014 14:12:33 | ID: 61729

John Wilson, Aberdeenshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2012

My Vauxhall Meriva needs to be topped with coolant but I can`t get the cap to open on the expansion tank. When you turn it clockwise it tightens and it does the same when you turn it the opposite way. Can anyone help? Thank you. (expression)

Submitted: 04/02/2014 11:59:39 | ID: 61704

Andy, Cambridgeshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2003

My Vauxhall Meriva - still driving sweetly after ten years - has failed it`s MOT because the airbag warning light is on. The computer shows that this is a child seat issue, even though no child seat has ever been fitted! Nobody that the garage has phoned knows what to do - such a shame to take it off the road for this. Has anyone come across this before? (Enjoy)

Hi, won’t believe I had the same problem on my Meriva, they kept saying it is the baby seat and not to worry. But you need to worry, it is not a baby seat. I had a specialist look at this problem and the problem is in the steering squib (part just after the steering wheel). Unfortunately you will have to get a specialist to look at the wiring as there is an airbag in your steering wheel; my problem is now fixed. Trust me it is in the steering squib Rudi Puchert from South Africa

Submitted: 03/02/2014 14:03:15 | ID: 61639

Andries Lategan, South Africa

Vauxhall Meriva 2006

Please can anyone tell me where I can find the speedometer switch on my Vauxhall Meriva 16 twin cam?

Submitted: 30/01/2014 11:22:22 | ID: 61478

John Hawkins, Lancashire

Vauxhall Meriva 2003

In spite of everything - new sensor, auto electrician check, running the car for long periods while stationary, my Vauxhall Meriva`s water coolant temperature gauge still won’t work. Can anyone tell me what they think the fault can be, as no-one else including Orchard car mechanics seems to have a clue? Many thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this mystery. (Life)

Submitted: 23/01/2014 12:35:47 | ID: 61304

Michael Davies, Caerphilly

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

My Vauxhall Meriva’s engine seems to be missing and the car is very jerky when running. What could be the reason for this please?

Try the spark plugs then the coil pack. I had the problem and it was spark plugs. Good luck. Mark Carter from England

Submitted: 23/01/2014 09:39:07 | ID: 61239

Wendy O`Connor, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

I have a Vauxhall Meriva 2010 model. I have a code on my car saying code 68, this indicates service power steering. I have been told to drive it to the garage but I have tried to drive and the wheel is very stiff. Can you advise?

My Meriva has just done the same. Did you get it fixed? What was the problem and how much did it cost if so? Thanks. Keith Black from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 14/01/2014 11:24:05 | ID: 60675

Glenn Langford, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Meriva 2008

I’ve noticed that the light bulb for the fuel gauge has blown on my Vauxhall Meriva. Can anyone tell me how to remove/replace this please? Is it an easy task or should I take it to my local Vauxhall dealer? (Life 16V)

Submitted: 06/01/2014 12:41:35 | ID: 60348

George Ruthven, South Africa

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

How do I change the fuel filter on the Opel Vauxhall Meriva 1.6 Enjoy 2007 model and where is it located?

Look underneath your car by the tank you will see a metal filter, just follow the fuel line from the tank. Keith Baker from South Africa

Submitted: 02/01/2014 11:36:18 | ID: 60037

Paul Dean, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2006

The lights behind the heater panel on my Vauxhall Meriva do not work. I have removed the cover and looked for bulb(s) but nothing`s obvious. Any suggestions please?

After you’ve removed the front panel you need to take the center knob off (the one that controls the fan speed) by pulling it towards you - might take a little bit of force but should come off easily enough. Behind it you’ll find a white plastic cover clipped on which is easy to remove. Removing this will give you access to the two bulbs (you’ll from Yorkshire

Submitted: 02/01/2014 09:39:24 | ID: 58802

Natalie, Sussex

Vauxhall Meriva 2010

Please help. We have a 2010 Vauxhall Meriva and the left headlight fuse is blown we think. Where do we locate the fuse for this as we have had no luck? Many thanks.

Submitted: 31/12/2013 14:05:52 | ID: 59947

John Begg, Inverness-shire

Vauxhall Meriva 2008

I need to remove the windscreen washer bottle on my Vauxhall Meriva to clean out the filter as the pump is working but no water is being delivered. I removed the hoses before the jets but still nothing. I believe this is quite a major task as the bottle/pump/filter is buried in the driver`s corner of the engine compartment? I would appreciate advice from anyone who has tackled this problem?

If memory serves me, you can access it by taking off the n/f wheel and peeling back the wheel arch liner. You dont need to remove the bottle itself, just lift up the pump and where the pump plugs into the resevoir bottle there is a black rubber filter. Pull this out clean and refit. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Hi. In addition to my last post. We have a Meriva in now and the access is from the top side by removing trims, not an easy task to be honest. It will still be the black rubber grommet filter under the pump that is affected. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Windscreen wipers to top then remove them. Take rubber strip off inside engine compartment. Remove about 6 screws holding windscreen trim on. Remove screws holding bulkhead on with same size socket. Remove horseshoe shaped clip holding brake reservour on. You will then be able to push it to one side and get your right arm in and remove pump. Then remove filter at bottom of bottle. Clean and replace, then just reverse the process. Takes about 45 minutes in all Stan Baker from Cheshire

I Had this problem, but it was washer additive that had congealed and then sunk to the bottom of the bottle. I syphoned it out using a piece of hose pipe, topped it up with just water and syphoned it again. I repeated this a couple of times and hey presto it started getting water to the jets again. Hope this helps and works for you. Andy Coles from England

Submitted: 31/12/2013 12:57:19 | ID: 59817

Keelie, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2007

I have a Vauxhall Meriva which has developed the following fault. It`s blowing 15 A fuse. The motor tests okay and draws 3 A. Also it does a part wipe when I lock or unlock the car, even with the fuse removed. I have proven wiring to the motor. I did suspect the switch but cannot explain the wipe on lock or unlock. Has anyone had this experience?

Hi, this model has a CIM (column intergrated module) unit behind the steering wheel, which is a module on the can bus circuit. These modules take the initial lock/unlock signal when the key is pressed. The CIM module also has the wiper and indicator stalks connected to it, these CIM modules are not the most reliable and therefore any fault with the CIM could result in the described fault. Sometimes hard to diagnose 100% if no fault codes stored, so sometimes a donor to test is the best route to start with. Martin (Master technician & Vauxhall technical consultant from Durham

Submitted: 24/12/2013 10:19:50 | ID: 59721

Pete Brindle, England

Vauxhall Meriva 2005

My Vauxhall Meriva`s radio keeps coming on after being switched off and the car locked. Why would it do this?

Submitted: 23/12/2013 12:38:58 | ID: 64530

Kelly Deakin, Worcestershire

Vauxhall Meriva 2004

I am looking at a Vauxhall Meriva on eBay and the person has told me there is a clicking noise coming from the lower dashboard whilst he drives it. Please can you tell me what this might be before I buy it? Regards.

I have a 2006 Meriva, which had the clicking noise from under the dashboard. It was the power steering ECU, which failed weeks after the noise started, a common fault on Meriva’s. There is a company based in Bristol who fixed mine, but it cost £475. Paul Cottrell from Caerphilly

Submitted: 19/12/2013 12:31:10 | ID: 59506