VAUXHALL CORSA questions and answers

VAUXHALL Corsa

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL CORSA models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL CORSA. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL CORSA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Linzi, West Sussex

My alternator needs changing. Will a 2000 Corsa alternator fit and is it best to rev from top or bottom of the engine?

I have an 02 plate Corsa Linzi from West Sussex

Submitted: 23/07/2014 23:51:08 | ID: 100256

Bill Bailey, Hertfordshire

My car engine keeps cutting out when I pull up at a road junction or traffic lights and occasionally the engine tachometer fluctuates of its own accord even when my foot is off the accelerator. My garage has not ben able to solve the problem as yet. Any clues, please. Bill

Crankshaft sensor can cause this without flagging up a trouble code. I've seen it a few times. gary from Merseyside

Submitted: 20/07/2014 21:07:19 | ID: 100063

S Mehta , Merseyside

My speedometer is erratic. It randomly says I'm doing 60mph when I am stationary and 80mph when I'm Doing 20mph. It happens randomly and for a few days then goes back to normal

Submitted: 20/07/2014 09:04:48 | ID: 100024

Orla Kavanagh , Lancashire

I need to install a telematics device for my insurance. This is just a plug in diagnostic box but I cannot locate where it should go. My make and model does not seem to appear on the help websites. It is a Vauxhall Corsa SE 1.4 5dr reg 2013. Where should this plug in go? Some sites say under the steering wheel others say under the heating controls but it doesn't seem to be either as the postures these sites provide do not match the interior of my vehicle

Submitted: 19/07/2014 08:54:53 | ID: 99965

sascha, Northamptonshire

Hiya im looking onto buying the nice car. Its a 1999 corsa gls . Im trying to get it insured however I have no clue what kind of alarm /immobiliser it has. Any idea ?

Submitted: 19/07/2014 07:27:03 | ID: 99960

carrie, South Ayrshire

Hi ive had my 51 plate corsa for a year and a half and has been running fine its had the timing chain and new fan belt fitted january this year at 81000 miles its at 86000 now and was running fine up until a couple of days ago just after the oil temp switch getting replaced because it was leaking (been changed 3 times now tho dont think this is the cause of the problem) i went to drive it and seemed normal until the engine het up just b4 80 on th temp gauge then the car started to shudder and reving itself and i had to nurse it home stayin at 15 mph and in second gear i managed to get it to the garage in the morning when the engine was still cold bt once it het up and started doing it again. The mechanic put his machine on it and it said there was a fault with the egr valve and the air flow meter both have been replaced now with new 1s along with a new coil pack, spark plugs and fuel filter as well as the throttle body been removed and cleaned seems to be running aliitle bit better bt still hunting in first and second gear but its allowing u to drive through it till 3rd and 4th gear the mechanics are baffled by it as its still coming up on th fault reader as the egr valve and air flow meter but both have been replaced with the same kind so dont have a clue wot else to get checked would be greatfull for any ideas thanks in advance

Try a crankshaft sensor. I fixed a corsa combo van and Astra were the sensor was being affected by temperature. The combo didn't even have any fault codes displayed! The Astra did and was cutting out when hot,the combo wouldn't start when warm about 55degreesC,but would start hot@90degC or cold. Yours may be breaking down+cheap to replace. That's assuming the parts you have had replaced have been replaced ,if so its not impossible for them to be faulty but very unlikely+very bad luck. A faulty Egr will impact the MAF sensor performance/parameters as well. Sounds like you need a more experienced diagnosis man+not a fit new parts cos that's what the codes say type dude. gary from Merseyside

Submitted: 18/07/2014 19:27:53 | ID: 99933

james, Dorset

battery light came on whilst drivng and airbag light also power steering failed could be the battery

Submitted: 18/07/2014 19:05:26 | ID: 99931

Cathy Bishop, Rwanda

I am having a hard time determining my engine size. I don't have the engine code and it doesn't seem to be on the engine, also no manual or anything else. I have numbers on plates attached to the car and can see some of the part numbers, but nothing yet that helps me figure it out. It's a 1997 Opel Corsa B (Vita) hatchback automatic petrol with air conditioning. I need a new radiator and found this one: Nissens 63284 Radiator that at least looks like the right one. It fits all but these: 1.0 i 12V (40 kW) NO1.2 i 16V (48 kW) NO 1.6 GSI 16V (80 kW) NO.So even if all I can do is eliminate these, I would be able to get the part and know it fits.Can anyone help me?

Submitted: 18/07/2014 12:55:43 | ID: 99911

josh fisher, Nottinghamshire

hi the radio on my car don't work it's will not come on or ask for a code

Submitted: 16/07/2014 12:10:44 | ID: 99775

Chris Foy, Monmouthshire

I have a 2011 Corsa vxr. I have a red exclamation mark on the rev counter dial - can anyone help?

Submitted: 15/07/2014 10:57:56 | ID: 99709

sreejith, Bahrain

I have a 2004 Corsa 1.4. When I put the a/c on the car is missing. What is the reason and what do I need to change?

Submitted: 14/07/2014 09:00:38 | ID: 99633

Daisy, Somerset

Hey my cars brake light and Reversing light are not working and we have checked the boles and they are fine and I have order a handbook about my car but we don't think it the fuses ever . can someone please help

Submitted: 12/07/2014 22:32:02 | ID: 99532

barry, Cambridgeshire

The exhaust emission light is continuously on. It passed an M.O.T. yesterday so the emissions must be ok.The vehicle has been standing for about 3 months, could this contribute to the problem.

Tap the dashboard on the plastic bit near the speedo or rev bit when ignition is on keri from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 12/07/2014 10:17:25 | ID: 99503

K Hall, Norfolk

I have a 2010 Corsa eco flex, the doors unlock but filler cap doesn't. How do I unlock it please?

Submitted: 10/07/2014 22:07:51 | ID: 99409

Susan Price, Gloucestershire

My Corsa has just gone for spares and repairs, thought problem was tappets or timing chain but engine kaput. Fine when I bought it 5years ago but after a month the oil light started to stay on and flicker after a certain mileage. I regularly checked the oil. Unfortunately when I took it to be serviced I was told that by the state of the filter it had never been serviced despite the service book being stamped each year. However, it has taken me all over the place and done many miles and never failed to start. Would like to buy another Corsa but are noisy tappets and engine a common thing with this year make of car(2002) sounded like a diesel engine. Too be honest I hadn't heard another one like it. Who do you trust when buying a second hand car, private seller or dealer.

Submitted: 09/07/2014 14:01:19 | ID: 99322

Amy Ashton, Nottinghamshire

My car broke down last night. The garage told me I needed a new coil pack so had that fitted but then said I had water in my petrol so drained that. I managed to get car home by pushing but will the engine management light come on still due to having no petrol at all?

Submitted: 09/07/2014 11:50:44 | ID: 99313

mike haslam, Lancashire

Hi my hazzard warning lights wont turn off and it keeps flattening the battery can you help me please

Submitted: 07/07/2014 12:09:50 | ID: 99129

Mollicone mrs, Norfolk

The 7 way in the boot of my car is making a clicking noise, what is the problem?

Submitted: 05/07/2014 15:55:48 | ID: 99030

john, West Midlands

Do Vauxhall Corsa Clubs have seat belt sensors?

Submitted: 05/07/2014 13:02:52 | ID: 99021

Roland, Suffolk

I got a Vauxhall Corsa 1.7 diesel and my question is: My wipers are slow, even though when I have it on top speed? How can I fix them so they go quicker?

Submitted: 05/07/2014 11:28:29 | ID: 99003

Andrew Mitchell, West Yorkshire

I have had my car taken into the garage - the engine would turn over bit it would not fire. There were no warning lights on the dash. There is fuel getting to the engine and pressure. The garage has told me the ECU has burnt out - bearing in mind this has happened overnight, with the car parked up for 11 (ish) hours. It worked fine the night before - no problems - no warning lights - nothing felt weird - drove as normal. Is this possible?

Submitted: 04/07/2014 16:28:25 | ID: 98950

Nitesh, South Africa

Hi My 1999 Opel Corsa 1.6i Bakie has a huge loss of Horsepower please help

Submitted: 03/07/2014 14:14:25 | ID: 98896

sue, West Yorkshire

Hi, the front driver`s side seat will not release to access the back. How can I fix this myself?

Submitted: 02/07/2014 16:19:08 | ID: 98846

Rosie cockings, Dorset

The windscreen wipers are running very slowly and stopping in the middle of screen. They have been well oiled with WD 40 and Vaseline. What is the likely problem?

Submitted: 02/07/2014 11:39:36 | ID: 98833

Peter, Cambridgeshire

My mileage recorder has stopped working, it just has a row of lines on it. I have tried to reset it but it just goes back to a set of horizontal lines. Any ideas on how to fix it please?

Submitted: 01/07/2014 12:43:49 | ID: 98799

David Burton, Berkshire

I have a Vauxhall 2005 Corsa 1364cc SXI 16V Twinport car. This car was purchased on the 25th of June and used a couple of times with no problems until on the morning of the 29th of June. The car started easily but the fuel, rev counter, speedo and temperature gauges were not working. After a short trip, with the gauges not working (to fill up with petrol), the car was started after refuelling and every gauge worked perfectly again. The car has been used many times since then, short trips and long ones, without any recurrence of the failed gauges problem. The one time the gauges didn’t work, as described above, the car drove perfectly and all other instruments worked - so far as I can remember. What could have caused this and what is the possibility of the problem returning?

Submitted: 30/06/2014 20:23:16 | ID: 98750

Andy, Telford and Wrekin

I`m looking to change my engine in my 1.2 sxi as my old one is seized. After I put the new one in will the ecu have to be replaced/opened etc or will my original one work still, as they are same engine size? Thanks

Submitted: 30/06/2014 02:54:44 | ID: 98703

graham waldron, Worcestershire

I put another second hand engine in but when I turn the key to try to start the car nothing happens, it`s like no power is getting to the starter motor. Can someone help?

Submitted: 29/06/2014 14:50:57 | ID: 98675

James Lynham, Cornwall

Will a cooling fan from a 1.2 petrol Corsa fit and work properly on my 1.4 petrol? If not where can I get a cheap complete cooling fan and motor assembly?

Submitted: 23/06/2014 21:30:31 | ID: 98318

Stuart Marshall, City of Edinburgh

While driving my engine management light came on and the car began to shudder and lose power before correcting itself a few miles down the road. I stopped the car for about 10 minutes and restarted it and the problem seems to have cleared itself. Is there anything to worry about or was this just a random event?

The same happened to my 59 Corsa in the UK. I took it down to Seafield Arnold Clark, ended up with a new ecu harness (£1400) due to an oil leak. Although it may be the oxygen sensor in the petrol tank has gone, which is smaller scale and much cheaper to replace. Liam from United States of America

Submitted: 23/06/2014 07:37:41 | ID: 98267

Jerry Griffiths, West Midlands

Hello, I have a 1997 Vauxhall Corsa Breeze 1.2L I noticed a slight oil leak but only from the RHS cylinder head. The vehicle has recently been serviced and passed its MOT. What should I do please? Many thanks.

Submitted: 23/06/2014 00:57:25 | ID: 98262

adam, Swansea

The passenger airbag button is flashing and the airbag light is on the dash board . What does this mean ? And how can I fix the problem ?

Submitted: 22/06/2014 09:27:13 | ID: 98219

Barrie, Cardiff

My 1.2 57 plate Vauxhall Design Corsa . For no apparent reason the fan has stopped working unless it is put onto no 4 which is noisy. The horn also has stopped working. Any suggestions? I`ve checked fuses which all appear okay.

Submitted: 20/06/2014 15:46:58 | ID: 98125

natalie cooper, Surrey

I had the fuel pump replaced about 3 months ago because it was leaking, the past 2 days the fan has started coming on again, no leak or light on dash - what can it be ? Thanks

Submitted: 19/06/2014 15:29:13 | ID: 98035

alan moreison, Clackmannanshire

While driving I would loose power. Stopped and turned engine off allowed it to reset and would drive fine. Changed fuel filter and now have no power at all.

Submitted: 18/06/2014 09:52:32 | ID: 97951

andrew, County Down

I have problem with the dashboard in that all the instruments keeps switching off. The person working on the car needs to replace it. I got the car second hand and all the cards with the radio code is missing. There is a four digit code writen in the instruction manuel. If this is the radio code would it be the same code to unlock the new dashboard? Awaiting the code from my local vauxhall garage but as the car may not have been orignaley bought there they might not have the neccary information.

Submitted: 18/06/2014 08:52:09 | ID: 97949

abida, West Midlands

Hi i have a vauxhall corsa active 06 plate. Can you tell me it has an alarm fitted as standard? Or jus an immobiliser

Submitted: 17/06/2014 21:07:51 | ID: 97929

abida, West Midlands

Submitted: 17/06/2014 20:37:56 | ID: 97922

rob cushing, Bedfordshire

My nearside front fog light still won`t work after replacing the bulb? Are there two fuses for each light?

Submitted: 15/06/2014 03:36:03 | ID: 97705

Dean, Cardiff

Why does my sidelight come on wen I press my brake?

A wrong bulb fitted in another light. Likely be a single filament/contact flasher bulb fitted in the stop/tail twin contact bulbholder. gary from Merseyside

Submitted: 11/06/2014 23:12:05 | ID: 97460