VAUXHALL COMBO questions and answers

VAUXHALL Combo

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL COMBO models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL COMBO. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL COMBO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

pete, Denbighshire

Vauxhall Combo

what year did they put a izuzu 1700 deisel engine into a combo

Submitted: 15/04/2014 18:02:13 | ID: 94264

Nigel Broughal, London

Vauxhall Combo 2001

I blew a fuse in my 2001 Vauxhall Combo so I changed the fuse but now the car won’t start. I’ve checked all of the fuses and none are blown. It turns over but won’t start. Please can someone help?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 10:26:37 | ID: 93732

Donna Lown, Sussex

Vauxhall Combo 1999

I had the clutch renewed recently on my Vauxhall Combo. All was okay til last week when the van will suddenly stop driving. The engine is running okay but has no forward movement. Has anyone got any ideas?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 09:53:45 | ID: 93716

Gary Stone, England

Vauxhall Combo 2002

Can anyone tell me if my factory fitted lpg/petrol Vauxhall Combo 2002 van has a spare wheel and if so how do i get to it. There is a large black plastic doughnut shape under the van at the rear. It looks like it should house a spare wheel but i cant find anywhere that would unlock this. There is one bolt inside the van next to the doors, but this has no effect on the housing underneath. The van is also plylined so it is difficult to tell if there are any other fixing bolts for this. Is this the lpg tank or spare wheel? Having looked underneath i cannot see any fuel pipes going to the area. Thanks in advance

Submitted: 26/03/2014 15:28:45 | ID: 93603

Ashley Williams, Hampshire

Vauxhall Combo 2005

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Combo 1.3 cdti 55 plate. I have noticed a slight knocking noise when ticking over but this stops when the clutch is pressed. Also timing is fluctuating. What could this possibly be? Regards.

Submitted: 10/03/2014 11:45:50 | ID: 62683

John Plain, Cardiff

Vauxhall Combo 2007

My 2007 Vauxhall Combo van has water trapped somewhere in a body/chassis cavity, (You can hear it moving from side to side when cornering). I`ve taken sill and door plugs out but nothing was found in them and the sound made is really too free flowing to be from such a small space. It’s bugging me, but I`m quite concerned about corrosion that will be caused. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 10/03/2014 10:42:04 | ID: 62690

David J, England

Vauxhall Combo 2005

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Combo and recently had the fuel pump changed for a second time. I still have a second problem of the engine cutting out about 10 seconds after it has been turned on after not using it for a couple of days. It’s as though a fuel line dries up when not in use. Any ideas?

Submitted: 06/03/2014 09:54:00 | ID: 62589

Jack Wilt, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Combo 2006

When driving along and I change gear my Vauxhall Combo van`s steering pulls to the left. Any ideas what the problem is? (2000 CDTI 16V 1.3)

Submitted: 03/03/2014 15:11:05 | ID: 62443

Trev Limb, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Combo 2000

I`m replacing the sump on my Vauxhall Combo. Does the exhaust down pipe need to come off?

Submitted: 03/03/2014 14:42:28 | ID: 62454

David J, England

Vauxhall Combo 2005

Hello everybody, I have a Vauxhall Combo van 2005 model and have had the fuel pump changed recently due to stalling when cold. At the moment the van seems to be working fairly well, although I have 2 questions about this. Firstly, even though the pump seems to be okay now, when the van hasn’t been running since the day before and the engine is cold I sometimes have to sit in the van and slightly press the accelerator to bring the revs, just for about a minute then the engine stays on okay after that. This is a lot better than it was before I had the pump changed so I can cope with this, it’s okay for the rest of the day then. The second question refers to a fault I had before I had the fuel pump changed and is still the same after the new pump was fitted. If the van hasn’t been used for a day or two and I start the engine it will start okay and run for about 15 seconds and then stall. I then have to sit there with the accelerator pressed for a minute before it will start again, after that it’s okay for the rest of the day. It seems as though being stationary for a couple of days makes a fuel line or something dry up, is this a common fault? I haven’t heard of other cars or vans doing this? Thanks.

Submitted: 03/03/2014 11:15:00 | ID: 62468

Graham Goulden, Lancashire

Vauxhall Combo 2005

I have an 05 reg Vauxhall Combo van, the ABS light has come on after a short time of driving, brakes appear okay though. Also this model is the one with the "leak" into the driver`s footwell. Does anyone know how much this will cost to fix? I’m told it’s the seal round the clutch pedal master cylinder?

I’ve got a Corsa C CDTi 1.3 2005, I had water coming in the driver footwell tried everything! Found the fault, the water was getting thought the window plastic moulding so I used clear silocone along the window. Now dry as a bone, heard it is a common fault so i hope that helps you Corsa lovers out! Bert Lucas from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 28/02/2014 09:57:43 | ID: 62080

Musty, Cyprus

Vauxhall Combo 2002

My Vauxhall Combo has started a problem today which is kind of rough idle. It seems to start but stays above 1.5k-2k rpm for a few minutes, then rpms drop back to 1k rpm. Everytime I turn the ignition to second position the glow plugs indicator comes on, also the water temperature gauge has stopped working at the same time. What could this be? Cheers.

Submitted: 28/02/2014 09:36:27 | ID: 58413

Steve Johnson, Cambridgeshire

Vauxhall Combo 2003

Hi, I have a 16 duel fuel Vauxhall Combo on an 03 plate. Is there a fuse for the thermostat as mine is not working and the engine light has come on. Please help?

Submitted: 27/02/2014 10:04:20 | ID: 62388

Syeve Devois, Swansea

Vauxhall Combo 2005

I have just purchased a Vauxhall Combo 1700 cdti which drives well but stalls when cold, it also has intermittent revving. Any ideas please?

I had this problem and in my case it was the fuel pump, been in the garage twice for this, and i think its quite an involved job and a bit expensive to do as well, i had to take mine to a diesel specialist to work out the problem. I was told it was the fuel pump that's not keeping up the pressure so the revving keeps going up and down so to speak, it sounds like its going to stall when your foot is not on the accelerator etc. Hope you get the problem sorted out, although remember in your case it might be a different fault. David J from West Midlands

Submitted: 25/02/2014 16:08:00 | ID: 60740

Alex Howarth, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Combo 2008

I’m experiencing a knocking noise when I’m braking and accelerating (at low speeds) in my Vauxhall Combo. Any ideas and how much to fix? Also the interior light doesn’t work. I don’t see any switches or how I get into it? Cheers.

Submitted: 25/02/2014 15:48:08 | ID: 60279

Scott Evans, England

Vauxhall Combo 2006

Hi there. I have a 1.7cdti Vauxhall Combo on an 06 plate with the Isuzu engine and whenever it’s wet out it goes into limp mode and I am stuck on 1500 revs. When it drys out it is fine. Any ideas?

Submitted: 21/02/2014 10:51:36 | ID: 62240

Mike O'Neill, Leicestershire

Vauxhall Combo 2002

I was driving my Vauxhall Combo van home today, I was approaching a roundabout, hit the brake pedal and it was stuck hard. I had to change to a lower gear and put the handbrake on to stop! Then I had to turn the engine off and back on again and the brakes were okay! Any ideas what is wrong please?

You may have a problem with your exhauster mounted on the end of the cam cover, adjacent to the high pressure diesel pump or the tube from it to brake servo. Peter Lynn from Essex

Submitted: 03/02/2014 16:34:59 | ID: 61617

Darren Jones, England

Vauxhall Combo 2002

I’ve got a Vauxhall Combo van 1800 diesel with a dead battery. Is there any particular battery I can replace it with?

Submitted: 24/01/2014 16:20:59 | ID: 59026

Andy Daker, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Combo 2004

My Vauxhall Combo`s airbag warning light stays on all of the time. How do I fix this please? (diesel)

First thing to check is under the seats - there is a plug, check it is clean and in the connector. There are like colored tabs you pull them forwards towards the windscreen that disengages the plug for inspection and as you reinsert the plug the tab pushes back you will see what I mean. WD40 or another form will do no harm also you can check the carpet for hidden floods! Good luck John from Leicestershire

Submitted: 24/01/2014 16:18:53 | ID: 57981

Steve Ellis, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Combo 2012

How do I turn on the headlights on my Vauxhall Combo? I can get side lights on no problem but I just cannot find how to get my main headlights on? Maybe it`s me just a bit thick. It`s a 2013 crew van.

Can you be more specific I.E headlights or main beam? Main beam is on the indicator stalk pull towards you to engage and disengage indicated by the blue lamp on the dash. The headlights are on the control switch on the right hand side of the dashboard below the wiper stalk and has the fog light switch in the middle indicated by the green headlight indicator on the dash you turn this clock wise John from Leicestershire

Submitted: 21/01/2014 12:47:57 | ID: 61224

Clare Fufford, England

Vauxhall Combo 1999

My Vauxhall Combo van was overheating on the motorway so I stopped and waited for it to cool down. I checked the water which was fine but now it is overheating on small journeys and when I have looked at the water there is oil in it. I have been told if it’s creamy like salad cream it’s the head gasket, if it`s dark it could be the cooler that has gone. Please could someone help me? Many thanks.

An off white creamy paste like salad cream in the oil cap is a tell tale sign of head gasket as it is the oil mixing with the water. Also, you might find oil in the header tank you may find a lot of water coming out of your tail pipe and or water globules on your dip stick, but that is not so common. John from Leicestershire

Submitted: 16/01/2014 10:54:56 | ID: 59499

Robert Price, England

Vauxhall Combo 2003

Could somebody please tell me why my 2003 Vauxhall Combo 1.7di has started shaking when I accelerate but this goes away if I dip the clutch or lower the revs? I would really appreciate your help, thanks.

You more than likely have lost a wheel weight, which is causing the tyre to be out of balance. John from Leicestershire

Submitted: 14/01/2014 10:23:26 | ID: 60669

Gary Owens, Durham

Vauxhall Combo 2012

Hi. I put my Vauxhall Combo van in for its 12,000 miles service three months ago at my local garage. Recently the oil light has started flashing. I checked the oil before taking it to Bristol Street Motors as it is still under warranty and they said the wrong oil was used and I need to take it into them for a service. Is there any way I can turn the flashing oil light out without taking it into the garage?

I think you may find that the service light wasn’t re-set at the service. To do this you need a OBD reader or get those who did your service to do the re-set. I would also point out if the wrong oil has been used it can scrap your warranty, but here is the question - how did they check the viscosity of the oil used have they a viscosity testing machine? John from Leicestershire

Submitted: 03/01/2014 12:02:46 | ID: 60223

Fraser McKay, Angus (Forfarshire)

Vauxhall Combo 2004

I have a Vauxhall Combo and the engine water temperature is slow to heat up, so when using the heater the water temperature drops and the van is cold. I`ve had a new thermostat fitted, which made no difference. Does anyone know the cause please? (di)

Try changing the cabin filter, it’s quite easy to do. I had the same problem with mine and this seemed to work for me, the filter is probably clogged up with dirt. They only cost about £10 from a good motor factor. Lee Mcgregor from England

Submitted: 03/01/2014 11:38:43 | ID: 60184

Brian Boothman, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Combo 2006

My Vauxhall Combo van is a 2006 model and I lose power when doing a steady 60 to 70mph. The engine still idles but has no power. The code it gives says it is the accelerator pedal sensor. I changed the sensor and full pedal but this made the problem worse. I put the old pedal back on but still got the same problem. I`ve had it on a computer 3 times and get the same code saying it is the accelerator pedal sensor every time. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 02/01/2014 10:25:23 | ID: 58806

Martin Devlin, East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Vauxhall Combo 2002

My 2002 Vauxhall Combo`s linkage has popped out. I have pushed it back in. Will it be okay to find gears?

These link rods pop off as the ball socket wears, if it’s popped off once it will do it again. They are not that expensive so I would replace it, no adjustment is needed, simply pop off and push the new one on. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 31/12/2013 14:54:26 | ID: 59791

Sonu Singh, England

Vauxhall Combo 2005

Hi, I have a problem with my Vauxhall Combo 1.3 cdti which is producing white smoke. I have changed the turbo and ejector and air sensor but still getting white smoke which smells nasty. Please can anybody help me urgently? Thank you. (cdti)

Hi, white smoke symbolises coolant entering the combustion chamber usually as a result off head gasket failure which also produces the nasty smell. Cheers. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from England

Submitted: 24/12/2013 09:51:20 | ID: 59712

Ross Hall, England

Vauxhall Combo 2003

Hi. I have a Vauxhall Combo 1.7di combo and it stopped one day so I changed the top ecu etc. Then it stopped again so I changed the diesel ecu and all was good. Now it won`t even turn over and my spanner warning light is flashing the same as the oil light. All ecu have been tested and all are good. Any ideas?

Submitted: 19/12/2013 12:25:29 | ID: 59473

Andrew Sheldon, England

Vauxhall Combo 2012

Hi. I have just been informed by my main dealer that at only 27,000 miles on the clock my Vauxhall Combos front brake discs are lipped and need replacing, at my expense even though the van is under warranty! I was expecting to pay for new pads, but discs? Surely discs normally last 80 -100,000 before needing to be changed? The garage says it`s now common for discs to be changed at such low mileage. Has anyone out there had a similar experience? (1.3 90bhp LWB)

Yes I have had to have discs and pads at about the 15,000 miles mark as the newer non-asbestos pads are a lot more abrasive than the older pads, so they eat in to the disc. However, the price of discs have lowered compared to the older prices, so from say A Euro Car parts Apec (Good Quality) discs and pads are not as expensive as a garage will quote, but then you have to fit them yourself. John from Leicestershire

Submitted: 02/12/2013 15:38:22 | ID: 58736

Nigel Roberts, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Combo 2003

How do I stop a loud noise coming from the fan heater of my Vauxhall Combo?

Submitted: 18/11/2013 16:03:10 | ID: 58010

Raymond Mcmackin, England

Vauxhall Combo 2003

I have water in my Vauxhall Combo`s footwell. What can it be because the carpet is very wet?

I have the same problem if I park facing uphill, but not when parked on the flat/facing downhill. Think it’s due to the drain hole position in the bottom of doors. Matthew Bourne from England

More than likely a hole in the heater matrix. Alan from England

It is the servo plate and the drain holes under the wipers, they block with rubbish and then the seal (foam) rots and water fills the foot well. The master cylinder needs to be unbolted from the servo, moved forwards then the servo unbolted from the black back plate - 2 nuts on the inside of van roughly in the same position as master cylinder bolts. Disconnect the brake peddle and remove the servo finding the foam seal. Also seal and put something like roof and guttering sealant on both sides. Scrape as much of the plate to bulkhead seal as is possible and again re seal with roof and guttering sealant then re fit and top up brake fluid. John B from England

My van done this it was the brake servo gasket was gone Joe from Essex

Submitted: 18/11/2013 10:19:34 | ID: 57690

John Smith, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Combo 2005

Why does my 1.3 Vauxhall Combo van go into slow mode? I`ve already put a new map sensor on but this made no difference?

Mine did the same, accelerating at 50mph ish. The cause was a sticking wastegate valve on the turbo. I sprayed a load of WD40 on to it (when the engine was cold!) and it solved it. It’s deep down at the front of the engine. Google it and there was a post with pictures showing where to spray. Matthew Bourne from England

Submitted: 14/11/2013 11:42:13 | ID: 57826

Philip Pratt, Dorset

Vauxhall Combo 2010

Hi, will the old Vauxhall Combo take the 6 speed Astravan gearbox? Thanks.

Submitted: 14/11/2013 10:46:03 | ID: 91096

Paul Milner, England

Vauxhall Combo 2005

My Vauxhall Combo 1.3 smokes for 2 minutes then smells rich but runs okay. Does anybody know why?

Submitted: 12/11/2013 16:07:08 | ID: 57689

Andy Simons, England

Vauxhall Combo 2005

Can anyone help? I’ve got to change my Vauxhall Combo`s door locks and I’ve taken lots of parts out to get to the lock on a breakers yard. Is there an easier way to just change the locks? I am dreading it. Thanks.

Submitted: 07/11/2013 12:38:29 | ID: 57514

Ray Draper, Cheshire

Vauxhall Combo 2003

How do you remove the handle on the rear door of a Vauxhall Combo van? There don’t seem to be any screws holding it in place. I don`t want to just lever it off in case I break it?

Ray, the inner handle is held on by a metal clip which can be pulled out by using a small strong hook. It’s positioned right on the metal shaft between the back of the handle and the plastic door trim. Not much space in there to pull it out so you have to prize the handle and trim apart Mark Southgate from Ireland

Submitted: 07/11/2013 09:55:14 | ID: 57443

Tom Gelder, Lancashire

Vauxhall Combo 2007

I have just put a new battery on my Vauxhall Combo 1.3 that has not had one on for a while and the alarm goes off and I am unable to stop it. What can I do?

Put the cables on the right poles. Wayne McArdle from Ireland

Submitted: 29/10/2013 16:32:25 | ID: 56995

Lee Frodsham, England

Vauxhall Combo 2005

My Vauxhall Combo van started making a wheezing noise when accelerating and decelerating and juddering. Next day I went to start the van but now it won’t start at all. The fuel pump pumps fuel out, also the glow plugs all glow. Please help?

Submitted: 29/10/2013 12:46:38 | ID: 56881

Chris Panayiotou, England

Vauxhall Combo 2004

When I put the key in the ignition of my Vauxhall Combo the management light and oil light keep on flashing and the engine does not turn over when turning the key. Why is this?

I have the same problem did u find anything out? Ross Hall from Sussex

Submitted: 29/10/2013 11:47:01 | ID: 56929

Keith Halhead, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Combo 2006

Does anyone know how to take off the headlamp unit on the passenger side of my Vauxhall Combo? I can undo the two bolts at the top but how do you get to the others?

Submitted: 28/10/2013 14:24:30 | ID: 56179