VAUXHALL ASTRAVAN questions and answers

VAUXHALL Astravan

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL ASTRAVAN models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL ASTRAVAN. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL ASTRAVAN questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Noel, Essex

Vauxhall Astravan

Can any tell me what colour is the reversing wire on a astra van 08

Submitted: 20/04/2014 22:51:47 | ID: 94488

nicola stubley, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Astravan

the indicator light on left handside stays on even when the engine is off and key is removed. Have tried taking main bulb out but the side light stayed on ??? Have removed fuse as it was only way to make it go out. Any ideas please

Submitted: 12/04/2014 08:17:15 | ID: 94118

Richard Branigan, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2008

I have a Vauxhall Astravan 1.3cdti club. When pulling away in first gear (it sounds like the turbo) there’s a whine and it stops and starts, the faster you go the faster the whine. This only happens in first gear, no others. Any help would be appreciated?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 15:09:18 | ID: 93701

Graham Wilkinson, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2001

My Vauxhall Astravan drives well most of the time but sometimes it will lose power and become really sluggish. Also it`s pumping out a bit of smoke. It will work fine the next day though? I had it in for a full service and they can’t find a fault. Any ideas?

Submitted: 14/03/2014 16:33:30 | ID: 62850

Simon Avery, England

Vauxhall Astravan 1999

I am having problems starting my Vauxhall Astravan, when hot it just turns over but will bump start. Also I have a weird noise coming from the front nearside tyre is wearing badly on the inside. Any help? (2.0 dti)

Submitted: 13/03/2014 12:11:53 | ID: 62794

Mark Dellow, Hertfordshire

Vauxhall Astravan 2008

I have a problem with my Vauxhall Astravan 2008. It started when turning corners, the radio and headlights would go off for a second or two then come back on. It got worse and would cut out (radio and lights) when driving along straight, then to a point where the fuel gauge and miles left went off for minutes and then the windscreen wipers stopped working. My mechanic used the diagnostics machine and it came up with a list of problems that filled an A4 piece of paper. He got rid of most of them and updated the software yesterday. I came out this morning and the the central locking doesn’t work and when I put the key in the ignition the engine management light flashed, when the key is turned to start the engine nothing happens. The engine management light has been on and off for quite a while, the mechanic could not get rid of it and said there was nothing wrong with the van. The interior lights have been pulsating for a number of months and have got progressively worse. Any ideas please? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. (Sportive)

Submitted: 04/03/2014 09:06:06 | ID: 62551

Lee Blake, Swansea

Vauxhall Astravan 2006

My Vauxhall Astravan won`t start unless I use easy start. When I push the throttle down to rev it up it cuts out. Can anyone help me?

Submitted: 24/02/2014 12:09:30 | ID: 66544

Andy Vaux, Herefordshire

Vauxhall Astravan 2006

Hi, my Vauxhall Astravan loses electrical power while driving and the ABS light comes on, but if I give it a good rev it rights itself. This does not happen all of the time, mainly when the lights are on, but after about four or five times it`s okay and there`s no problem. Any ideas please? Many thanks.

Submitted: 16/01/2014 11:37:13 | ID: 60777

Tony Hawker, Somerset

Vauxhall Astravan 2011

I have a control stick on the left side behind the steering wheel in my Vauxhall Astravan Sportive. It has two clock symbols on the end but I don’t know what it is for? Can anybody tell me?

Cruise control. Martin ( Master technician 20 + years ) from Durham

Submitted: 14/01/2014 09:53:46 | ID: 60702

Steve Hopkins, Kent

Vauxhall Astravan 2000

I was driving my Vauxhall Astravan 1.7 tdi and it just cut out on me. It will now start for about 30 seconds then cut out again. Two months prior I had the oil cooler changed as there was oil in the water header tank. Does anyone know if these vans have an inline fuel cut out switch?

Submitted: 10/12/2013 15:59:35 | ID: 58947

Steve Cucurnia, Bedfordshire

Vauxhall Astravan 2006

When I turn my Vauxhall Astravans steering wheel vigorously or to full lock my lights and radio go off for 2 seconds then come back on. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Steve. I can’t really help, but I had been having the same problem with my Vauxhall Astra van 2008. It got worse and would cut out (radio and lights) when driving along straight the to a point where the fuel gauge and miles went off for minutes, then the windscreens wipers stopped working. My mechanics used the diagnostics machine and it came up with a list of problems that filled an A4 piece of paper. He got rid of most of these and updated the software yesterday. I came out this morning and the the central locking doesn’t work and when I put the key in the ignition the engine management light flashed and when the key is turned to start the engine, nothing happens. I’ll keep you posted of any further developments, hopefully someone on here knows the answer. Mark Dellow from England

Submitted: 03/12/2013 15:29:52 | ID: 58763

Arwyn Williams, Wales

Vauxhall Astravan 2007

Hi. I have a Vauxhall Astravan 1.3 2007. I had oil in the header tank and it was using water. I have done the head gasket but still the water seems to be going down. The water was never going to the oil and not leaking so where could it go? Also the intercooler is covered in oil. How can this be? Thanks.

If you’ve not already sorted it, I’ve read something about these symptoms being related to the oil cooler. I think it said something about bypassing the cooler would solve it. Gareth from Wales

Submitted: 15/11/2013 15:02:21 | ID: 57958

Ben, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2007

My Vauxhall Astravan`s fan is not working. I’ve replaced the resistor. Is there any way of checking the fan without removing it?

Submitted: 07/11/2013 15:03:38 | ID: 57544

Wayne Kilner, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Astravan 2007

Hi there. My Vauxhall Astravan 1.3 cdit on a 2007 plate is struggling to start and won`t go over 70 mph and is really sluggish. I`m looking for where I can get a vacuum pipe diagram for the pipes from turbo etc as I don`t think the guy who worked on my van has connected them back up right. I can`t remember the pieces being in the vacuum pipes before so please help me or could you send me the diagram? Many thanks. (cdti 1.3)

Submitted: 28/10/2013 14:39:05 | ID: 56761

Terry, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2002

I have changed the battery in my Vauxhall Astravan van and now the control indicator for engine electronics(van and spanner sign) stays on. Why is this happening?

Submitted: 24/10/2013 16:34:04 | ID: 56657

Sue Reeder, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Astravan 2007

Hi. I`ve got a Vauxhall Astravan 1.7 tdci sportive and cannot get my interoir light to come on. It luminates manualy but not automatically when I open the door. Any ideas please?

May be the switch located on the upright section of the front door pillar, open the drivers/passenger door and check them both, make sure you have interior switch above the interior mirror set in correct position Richard from West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Submitted: 17/10/2013 15:40:13 | ID: 56192

Carl Hann, Dorset

Vauxhall Astravan 2000

Hi, I bought a Vauxhall Astravan 3 weeks ago and it`s been driving fine but today I went to start it and it struggled to start I managed to get it going but it ran really lumpy like it was running on 3 cylinders, but when I drove it it seems fine although it won’t go over 50mph. Then when I stop and leave it on idle it’s lumpy again. It’s got plenty of water and oil but the water is bit murky. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Submitted: 10/10/2013 11:33:53 | ID: 56059

Scot D, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2003

I think I may have run out of fuel last week, there must have been a lot less in the tank than I thought. I had my Vauxhall Astravan parked with two wheels on the kerb and when I got back in and turned the ignition it just kept turning over. I put some more fuel in and it got me just around the corner and cut out. I left it for a couple of hours and tried again and it got me round a couple more corners but then cut out again. I left it parked up overnight and the next morning it started up no problem and I managed to get it home, but it wouldn’t start again the next day. I had a diagnostics check at a garage but they could not find any faults. I had it running again yesterday and when I turned off the ignition and tried to restart it just kept turning over again. Now I’ve just had it running again and it’s starting every time like there was nothing wrong. I’m well confused. Any ideas? (1.7 Dti)</p> <p> </p> <p>I had my Vauxhall Astravan parked with two wheels on the kerb and when I got back in and turned the ignition it just kept turning over. I put some more fuel in and it got me just around the corner and cut out. I had a diagnostics check at a garage but they could not find any faults. Any ideas?

Hi Scot, I think we have the same problem. Our van stopped last night, it has restarted a couple of times, but will not run. I have removed the filter and that’s OK, but I did take off the feed to the fuel filter and could not get any diesel to pump out of it whilst turning the engine over. I sucked the pipe and got a nice mouth full of diesel. I’m not sure if the fuel pump sucks the diesel from the tank or there is a secondary pump in the tank? If you have any luck let me know and I will do the same Regards. Ian Beachgood from Somerset

Submitted: 01/10/2013 09:25:59 | ID: 55379

Hanna Ball, Flintshire

Vauxhall Astravan 2002

I have oil in the header tank of my Vauxhall Astravan. How should I deal with this?

Submitted: 20/09/2013 09:43:38 | ID: 65081

Bob Hounslow, Hertfordshire

Vauxhall Astravan 2008

Intermittent electric problems which last for a few minutes then clear then a few minutes then clear - also clears when ignition is turned off then on. Petrol gauge drops to zero. Windows will not operate. Heater fan stops. Windscreen wipers stop. Any ideas to solve problem? Many thanks. (Sportive 1.7TDI)

Submitted: 17/09/2013 10:15:06 | ID: 54457

Adam Ajulo, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2001

I have a real frustrating problem here with my Vauxhall Astravan. I had my clutch redone November 2012, concenctric slave cylinder changed etc. When I drive my veichle on short journeys, say not exceeding 30 miles approx, all seems fine. However I had to make some 110 miles plus return journeys to Kent and when I did a good 80 miles and had to slow down and change gear I lost pressure on the clutch and couldn`t engage any gear. I`ve had to sit by the roadside for 30 minutes plus and then try again before the pressure returns. Could this be something to do with the viscosity of the fluid becoming too thin under a high temperature? I am very baffled. When I called for breakdown they tried it and there was no problem by the time they arrived say 45 minutes later. Does anyone know what`s wrong? (Envoy 1.7 dti)

Submitted: 29/08/2013 14:35:41 | ID: 53730

Jake Connor, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2000

My Vauxhall Astravan`s window wipers have just stopped working and when I turn them on I get a buzzing sound? I pulled a few fuses out and put them back in and now 2 lights are lit up on my dash. One shows a car/spanner and the other shows a square box with a star shape in it? Can anyone explain what these mean please and what I should do?

The spanner symbol is an electrical fault. The other symbol is a cooling system fault. Lee Nichols from Warwickshire

Submitted: 24/06/2013 11:34:52 | ID: 91902

Luke Graver, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2005

Hi, my Vauxhall Astravan 2005 has started to stall/cut out after driving for a while and it appears to be as the engine reaches temperature. If I let it cool for 10 minutes it starts again with no problems. I started it and let it idle and after a while it cut out, this is all before the fan comes on. Does anybody have any idea of what the cause could be? Thanks. (Envoy)

Faulty crank sensor. Stuart Pollard from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 24/06/2013 10:49:34 | ID: 91887

Adam, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2003

I wonder if anyone can help? My Vauxhall Astravan`s boot catch keeps slipping. It shuts and opens normally but when it’s shut and I drive to my destination the boot lid is slightly open, as if it`s not been fully closed. How can I fix this please? Any help would be appreciated.

Submitted: 20/06/2013 12:34:27 | ID: 54179

Peter Tranthem, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2002

How do I drain the fuel out of my Vauxhall Astravan? I have rear seats bolted on. Do I have to remove the seats? Any help is appreciated as I have a full tank and have to scrap the van.

Submitted: 23/05/2013 09:24:43 | ID: 59304

Michael Crossling, Durham

Vauxhall Astravan 2003

My Vauxhall Astravan has been struggling to start for the past few weeks, even with jump leads. I`ve had to bump start it. It`s not the battery and there is plenty of compression. The garage say the glow plugs are okay and that it`s the injectors that are the problem. Could this be true and if so how much should I expect to pay to sort the problem? Thankyou.

Submitted: 28/03/2013 10:53:03 | ID: 67881

Karl Napoli, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2002

Hi. I was driving my Vauxhall Astravan on the motorway when it suddenly lost power at about 70mph. I put my foot on the gas and the revs were working but there was no power. I pulled up on the hard shoulder and it just stopped and took 4 times until it turned over again. Then it drove fine for about 15 minutes, turned off in the middle of traffic and restarted again. There are no warning lights on, nothing. I can`t understand it. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

I had the same problem with my Astra sri, would only happen in my father’s driveway. An expert told me it was electrical interferance affecting the ecu. Solution, told my father to move house Richard from Middlesex

Submitted: 28/03/2013 10:46:51 | ID: 92232

Scott Young, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2004

Hi, can anyone help? I have a Vauxhall Astravan G cdti mk4 van which keeps over revving on the slightest touch. If it`s ticking over and I touch the accelerator it will send the revs sky high, but if I press the clutch in and rev it it doesn’t do that, it works perfectly. Sometimes it`s fine, then other times it`s not. There`s no fault code light. I don`t know where to start. Someone said that it could be an 02 sensor but I`m not spending £120 for it in case it`s not that. Please can anyone help as it`s doing my head in?

Submitted: 25/03/2013 09:31:40 | ID: 66533

Mick, Essex

Vauxhall Astravan 2005

I have a Vauxhall Astravan 1.7 dti 54 engine which cuts out while driving after approx 45 minutes. It restarts after 5 minutes and runs again for 15 minutes, then cuts out again. If left overnight it will run again for 45 minutes and so on. Bosch ECU under the nearside wing is not attached to the engine as earlier version. I have changed the ECU with one from a breaker`s yard but the same fault condition again. Does anyone have any ideas of what to check out? (H)

I had this problem with my 1.7 dti Isuzu engine Astra Envoy. it was dry joints inside ecu. The ecu on the rear of engine left hand side as you lean over top. Cut back off ecu, it’s siliconed on have look for bad solder joints. Hope this helps Stephen Worrall from England

Submitted: 21/03/2013 10:00:27 | ID: 64477

Donna Smith, Sussex

Vauxhall Astravan 2007

Hi, my partner`s Vauxhall Astravan had a water leak last night. He has replaced a pipe but it won’t start. The battery`s not dead, nor will the van jump start. He has had problems with starting the van before the leak. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Submitted: 21/03/2013 09:23:54 | ID: 66519

Tean, Cornwall

Vauxhall Astravan 2000

Hi, my partner has a Vauxhall G Astravan 2 litre 2000. I was driving it when it suddenly lost power and the engine management light came on. It is now restricted to 50mph and loses speed uphill, even though your foot is to the floor. Everytime you start the engine the light isn’t on but it comes on after a few minutes of driving. I plugged it in and it said boost pressure, deviation, or something like that. I just wondered if anyone can help with what this could actually be? Thank you.

If you’ve plugged it in for diagnosis, then you need to pay attention to the EXACT wording for the codes concerned. If it’s to do with boost pressure, it means a fault with the turbo or it’s associated components: It may just be a loose or squashed turbo hose, or a split vacuum pipe, but there’s no way of telling any more without actually seeing the van. A decent mechanic should be able to diagnose & quote for repair very quickly John Greenslade from Powys

Submitted: 19/03/2013 09:29:04 | ID: 92002

Steve Smith, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Astravan 2000

I have a Vauxhall Astravan 2.0 dti. I changed the glow plugs and put a new battery on but get a good cloud of smoke on first start up in the morning. Any idea what is causing this and how to solve it?

Submitted: 22/02/2013 08:58:09 | ID: 90947

Ian Johnston, England

Vauxhall Astravan 1999

I have a 1999 Vauxhall Astravan derived van petrol manuel. The clutch pedal has become loose and I cannot put it in gear, although the pedal is still up very slack. No one can tell me if this is a clutch cable or hydraulic. If so where can I find the above?

Submitted: 21/02/2013 15:31:46 | ID: 90864

Martin O`Donnell, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Astravan 2008

Hi. I have a Vauxhall Astravan 2008 model 1.3cdti. I had no heat coming from the heater in the cab, so I then checked the engine and there was no water or coolant left in the expansion tank. I filled it up again and drove for a few miles and checked it and it was empty. I again filled it up and drove about 20 miles and checked it again and it had only lost a small amount of water. I then drove another 40 miles and checked it and it was empty again. I now have heat coming from the heater inside and the engine doesn`t seem to be overheating. What could be causing this please?

Submitted: 08/02/2013 08:50:57 | ID: 88387

Chris Waters, Kent

Vauxhall Astravan 2004

I have a Vauxhall Astra 1700cc 16v CDTi sportive van. We have removed the head to the eye but after cleaning couldn’t see any damage.We put back the head with new thicker Ali gasket and of course the rocker cover and manifold gaskets. We have also replaced the thermostat (new) and the thermostat housing (second hand). It starts up first time and ticks over as smoothly and sweetly as you like. The heater now works beautifully when stationary as well of course when moving, (as long as the container feeding the radiator has water in it), which is why I’m asking for help! I checked the water which was empty before a trip to Canterbury from Ramsgate, approx 20miles. I got there, parked and left the engine running. The heater ran cold, I checked the water container,(again empty) and refilled. Back in Ramsgate I checked water, the heater was still working as stationary. I could not see the level due to poor light, put my finger into the water container but could not feel the water level. Where could the water be going? I have run it stationary on dry area at night with no sign of a leak, no steam from under the bonnet and nothing from the exhaust. Please can anyone help?

Submitted: 31/01/2013 14:14:42 | ID: 90100

Bob Bell, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2003

How do you test for faults on a non working fan, water will boil over if left to run too long, fan runs when a power source is applied. Water sensor, ohms increases and decreases when put in hot and cold water. Ordered new sensor anyway. Many thanks.

Submitted: 08/01/2013 10:38:40 | ID: 67370

Mitchell, England

Vauxhall Astravan 1999

I can`t find how to turn on the internal light above the rear view mirror in my Vauxhall Astravan .It automatically turns off when the door is closed like most vehicles but I can`t see any internal switch. Can anyone help please? (diesel)

The switch that does headlamps pulls out. This turns on interior light Doug Livingstone from Sussex

Submitted: 08/01/2013 09:50:04 | ID: 67274

Lee Mathews, Berkshire

Vauxhall Astravan 2008

My Vauxhall Astravan has water in my driver`s side rear panel. I cannot locate any holes and when I drive the water just whooshes back and forward. It is causing bad condensation in the front and back and ruining my work materials. The left side is fine. Any ideas? (1.9 diesel)

Hi, my Astravan has the same problem. If you look under the back wheel arch you will see a rubber gromit. Pull it out. This should let the water out but doesn’t solve the problem of how it is getting in there Paul White from England

Regarding your body panels filling with water. I had a similar problem and it was caused by rain water entering by getting past the rear n/s lens. There was a gap between bodywork and the lens. Clear silicone does the trick Vic Marriott from Berkshire

Submitted: 07/01/2013 12:05:05 | ID: 67079

Alan Shaw, Newport

Vauxhall Astravan 1999

Can I change my mile/odometer bulb in my Vauxhall Astravan 1700 diesel van? Thanks.

Hi, remove the 2 screws at the side of the steering top cover and remove cover. You need to turn the steering wheel to locate them, should be facing you. Locate the 2 torx screw there in the oval part of the dials at the top 1 either side remove the black plastic cover. The whole clock section comes out, bit tricky so watch taking it out. At the top of the clock there’s a white lever. Slide that across to remove the clock, unclip the wiring harness and you will see the bulbs at the back Garry Aberdein from Scotland

Submitted: 03/01/2013 12:50:11 | ID: 65984

Vince Gumbs, England

Vauxhall Astravan 2004

When my Vauxhall Astravan`s rear washer is initiated water comes into the rear of the van, but I can`t seem to get access to the water feed to see where it`s split. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 14/12/2012 12:42:55 | ID: 65555