VAUXHALL ASTRA COUPE questions and answers

VAUXHALL Astra Coupe

Ask and answer questions on a variety of VAUXHALL ASTRA COUPE models. Help and advice on everything VAUXHALL ASTRA COUPE. Feel free to ask and answer as many VAUXHALL-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest VAUXHALL ASTRA COUPE questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Martin Kane, Ireland

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2002

Hi. I have a Vauxhall Astra Coupe Opel Bertone. The driver`s door electric window is slipping down at an angle when I’m pressing the button down and same on the way up. It’s at a bad angle. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?

Submitted: 12/12/2013 15:38:32 | ID: 59136

Paul Llewwllyn, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2002

My mk4 Vauxhall Astra turbo Coupe failed it`s MOT with emissions too high so I replaced the cat but emissions were double what they were before at the garage. I`m at a loss why. Can anybody help? (T888)

Submitted: 04/10/2013 12:44:33 | ID: 55797

Liam Gillespie, County Londonderry

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2007

In my 2007 Vauxhall Astra Coupe I have a built in DAB radio. It`s due an update and I’m unsure how to do it but I know I`ve lost some of my favourite stations (kiss fm). Does anybody know how it`s done?

Submitted: 24/09/2013 12:34:07 | ID: 54882

Andy Tompkins, Warwickshire

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2003

Hi, I have just bought an Astra Bertone Coupe 1.8i - does it have a trip computer? And I can’t get the date to stay on the panel, I get it to come on for about 5 secs but then it disappears. Any ideas? Thanks.

Submitted: 30/05/2013 08:04:57 | ID: 55579

David Cook, Buckinghamshire

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2001

I went to a garage with my Vauxhall Astra Coupe and was told my mass air flow meter needed changing. I changed it but now it won`t go out of safe mode. Does it have to go and be reset or could it be that something else needs to be changed? (1.8 Sri)

Submitted: 16/05/2013 10:43:08 | ID: 55693

Gary Buckle, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2002

My Vauxhall Astra Coupe`s car seats will not recline forward and my friend has the same problem with his car seat. He also has a Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2 doo. Is this a common problem?

Submitted: 24/01/2013 10:59:27 | ID: 89314

John Murphy, Ireland

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 1998

A crack was repaired with pliable solder on the sump of my Opel Vauxhall Astra Coupe 1998 1.4. No problem there but two days ago a one inch hairline crack appeared on the repair. It’s leaking oil. Can I repair it again or would it be advisable to replace the sump?

Submitted: 11/01/2013 08:36:31 | ID: 67697

Michael Tallon, England

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2005

My Vauxhall Astra Coupe has lots of condensation on my front screen. Does the heater intake have a drain tube that may be blocked with leaves or debris etc? (3 door sxi)

Submitted: 20/12/2012 10:44:15 | ID: 65557

George Petts, England

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 1996

Is there anyway to get a USB Connection into the stereo of my Vauxhall Astra Coupe? It has the DAB and 6-CD changer options. (SXI)

Submitted: 31/08/2012 16:25:17 | ID: 86762

Michael Baker, Kent

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2005

I have a 2005 mk5 Vauxhall Astra sxi. I want to fit the xenon lights from an Astra mk5 sri. Does anyone know if they will be a straight swap? Thanks

Submitted: 08/08/2012 14:11:51 | ID: 72884

Gary Millar, Renfrewshire

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 1999

I need to know if I can replace my Vauxhall Astra Coupe`s ecu unit with an exact replica from another car with different serial numbers though? I don’t want to buy it if there`s something else I need to do. I am replacing all parts, keys, ignition barrell, (everything).

Submitted: 26/07/2012 14:18:51 | ID: 87934

Harj Bhoohe, England

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2001

My Vauxhall Astra Coupe`s right indicator light stays on. It won’t turn off even when the engine is off. My left indicator works fine. How do I fix this?

Hi, have you made sure you have the correct bulbs in indicator? I put wrong bulb in brake light before and when I pushed the brake the ignition turned on without keys and could take keys out while started and still ran if pushing brakes lol Andrew Lee from Berkshire

Submitted: 22/05/2012 10:50:26 | ID: 78685

Stephanie, Ireland

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2010

Hi. The reversing light isn`t working on my Vauxhall Astra Coupe. It has been plugged in at a main dealer because changing the switch underneath the gearbox didn’t work. They also said that they tried a different ECU but that didn`t work either and they think that it’s the wiring. Does anyone know anything at all about this? Thanks so much.

Submitted: 23/04/2012 09:29:07 | ID: 82122

Thomas Reid, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2012

I have just bought a new Vauxhall Astra Coupe GTC Sport which has no front fog lights. Are these pre-wired at the factory and is it easy to just buy and install them? Thanks. (GTC)

Submitted: 19/03/2012 12:03:59 | ID: 70499

Tim Ford, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2001

Every time I start my Astra the alarm goes off. Is there a way to reset this..? It’s not the horn alarm, I think its the power sounder. It has only happened since I had new battery, if that helps?

Submitted: 09/03/2012 11:15:14 | ID: 83157

Danielle Butler, Lancashire

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2000

I have an Astra Bertone 2.2-litre, 2000. I have a slight power steering fluid leak. I was checking my car round the Xmas period and topping up various fluids, including the power steering fluid, as it was was only half full. I filled it up to the top and when I came to drive it in the morning it had leaked back down to half way. I couldn’t see where the leak had come from. On checking it again, it’s still at the half way line and hasn’t leaked anymore although over the last few weeks I have noticed my steering being a bit heather than normal and today I heard a squeaking noise whilst reverse turning. Could anyone please give me any suggestions as to what it may be?

Submitted: 29/02/2012 11:21:42 | ID: 81482

Scott Evans, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2001

Hi there, I’ve been having a problem with coolant leaking onto the spark plug of pot 4, which is causing a miss fire. When I drain the fluid off the car runs fine until it fills up again once warm. It’s not over heating and is filling up from above the spark plug. Any ideas would be great, thanks.

Unfortunately it would seem your head has cracked. The Astra 2.2 is prone to this within port 1 and 4 as the alloy is so thin.I would make the assumption that you have not long changed the plugs yourself or had a garage do it. Because the plugs are tapered it is usually caused if they are slightly over torqued when putting them in. Even worse news is because of the pressure the engine runs at. You`re looking at a replacement head to resolve it Craig Keating from Devon.

Submitted: 22/02/2012 11:09:36 | ID: 79981

Steve Whitlock, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2003

The illumination behind the speedo panel on my Vauxhall Astra is not working at all. It has been failing for 3 months now and only half lit at best. Could somebody please help me with regards to whether the illumination is by fitted bulbs and the location of these and how to go about replacing them? Or if the illumination is by some other means? Could you please let me know. Many thanks and best regards. (BERTONE)

Just make sure you’ve not turned them down. There’s a dial next to where you lift your driving lights up and down. I’ve knocked mine a few times and bapped myself when they didn’t come on, worth a look pal Karl Staves from England

Submitted: 13/02/2012 15:15:11 | ID: 78509

Chris Bevington, Blaenau Gwent

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2000

The interior fans have just stopped working on my Vauxhall Astra. What could the problem be?

Mine was the carbon brushes depositing thick powder on the copper windings. Remove motor and one of the brushes - push wire wool in brush housing and turn fan (keep wire wool in place with screwdriver). Some models require cutting of elecrical wire to remove the motor - also a really firm pull is required after undoing the bolts to remove Chris from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 08/02/2012 08:18:00 | ID: 74398

Graham Hadley, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2005

I want to add a traction control switch to my Astra G coupe 2005. I have found instructions on how to do it but the pins (and plug) on my ABS module are not the same as the one shown in the instructions. Does anyone know which pin (usually 25 or 31 on other abs modules) is the correct pin on my abs module, to connect the traction control switch wire to, so that I will be able to turn the traction control off? (G Mk4 Bertone)

Submitted: 31/01/2012 20:29:48 | ID: 73217

Gary Bruce, Surrey

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2000

When I start my Vauxhall Astra the abs and traction control warning lights come on and stay on. If I turn the car off and start the car again the lights go out and do not come back on. When I finish using the car the next time I switch it on Ii get the same problem. It has been put on the computer and it shows up as a brake fault. If you turn the car off while on the computer, then restart it, the car fault has gone and shows nothing on the computer. Can anyone please help? (Bertone)

Your abs tc n speedo are all in the left hand side hub, have it tested and see if it’s that. I changed mine and it’s fine now Mick from Yorkshire

Submitted: 31/01/2012 11:28:50 | ID: 73192

Kuven, South Africa

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2002

I removed the battery from my 2002 Astra and when I put it back the car wouldn’t start. The ignition lights come on even without the key and when we do put the key in the key just turns. Please help.

Submitted: 30/01/2012 19:01:36 | ID: 74132

Phil Jackson, England

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2004

Where is the water pump located on a 2004 Vauxhall Astra. It is chain driven, 2.2-litre.

Submitted: 06/01/2012 08:58:52 | ID: 84592

Ash, Surrey

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2006

My central locking doesn’t work on my Vauxhall Astra anymore. It won’t lock or unlock. Any ideas?

Submitted: 24/12/2011 06:49:28 | ID: 81432

Jamie Butler, Hertfordshire

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2004

I have a Astra coupe turbo that has 40,000 on the clock. It drives and boosts fine but sometimes, when in traffic, the exhaust starts to emit blue smoke. It fills the whole street. I took the inlet to intercooler pipe off and it was full of engine oil. What is causing this? Please help me some one.

Head gasket maybe? Nicky Allen from England

Turbo oil seals Jay from England

Submitted: 25/11/2011 08:16:08 | ID: 81791

Sabelo Mabila, Swaziland

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2001

Can a xenon light burnt bulb cause a Vauxhall Astra to pop up the engine light?

Submitted: 23/11/2011 14:00:45 | ID: 74503

Phil Allen, England

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2003

My passenger release lever for the seat won’t release the seat. How do I take off the garnish around the lever to reattach the cable?

Submitted: 14/11/2011 15:59:25 | ID: 71971

Craig Connolly, Leicestershire

Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2005

Sometimes my car won’t start and theres a orange picture of a car with a spanner on it. What does this mean? It only does it now and then. Cheers.

You need to get your car hooked up to a diagnostic machine. You’ll get a code then put it into Google with the car model and it will tell you what it means. I did it with my Vectra sri 150. Hope this helps Henry Harris from Dumfriesshire

Sit in the car with the ignition off. Press the accelerater and brake together then turn the key 2 clicks. On the dash the EML will flash a number of times giving you a code i.e. 3 flashes, 1 flash, 2 flashes, 4 flashes = 3124. Jason from Swansea

Submitted: 06/05/2011 08:26:34 | ID: 76290