RENAULT SCENIC questions and answers

RENAULT Scenic

Ask and answer questions on a variety of RENAULT SCENIC models. Help and advice on everything RENAULT SCENIC. Feel free to ask and answer as many RENAULT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest RENAULT SCENIC questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Prasad, Australia

Renault Scenic 2001

My car is a Renault Scenic 2001/2002 and it has a gear box problem, it comes in the morning or after long hours parking. After it`s run first 2-3 km the gear box problem comes and I cannot change gear properly. The dashboard indicates gear box symbol and coil symbol blows. After the engine is turned off I wait a couple of minutes and turn it on and then it works, but sometimes I have to do the same thing two or three times. I notice that when the engine`s temperature is halfway the problem never comes. I`ve had it repaired a couple of times by a Renault agent but it`s never solved. They erase the memory from the car, but it comes back after one or two months. Please help me?

You evm sensor problem.must be change Adam Ozzie from Malaysia

Submitted: 07/04/2014 11:47:30 | ID: 93923

Mike Rogerson, Hampshire

Renault Scenic 2002

I have a Renault Scenic and I need positive identification of the camshafts. Reg: NV52 FHD. In the centre section one shaft has a double groove about 10mm apart and the other has the grooves about 20 mm apart. There are no letters. Which is which? [Inlet v Exhaust] Thanks. (Expression)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 09:37:37 | ID: 93865

Keith Hubble, Devon

Renault Scenic 1999

Hi, can anyone help? My Renault Scenic has a problem. I fitted a rear wiper motor and now the indicators and wipers don`t work and the stop light and oil light are lighting up very dimly?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 08:58:01 | ID: 93885

Desigan Padi, Orkney Islands

Renault Scenic 2003

I have a Renault Scenic and have changed the battery. Is there a reset switch?

Submitted: 28/03/2014 15:48:22 | ID: 93578

Abi Croft, Surrey

Renault Scenic 2000

Hi. I`ve just bought a Renault Megane Scenic Alize Sport W reg automatic. Can anyone please tell me why, when I indicate to go round a corner, the indicator does not turn off automatically and I have to turn it off myself? Many thanks.

Submitted: 24/03/2014 08:51:16 | ID: 62407

Vic Powell, Hampshire

Renault Scenic 2002

My Renault Scenic has an annoying squeak / rattle from the rear interior fittings. I thought it was the roof seatbelt at fault but I have replaced it with no joy on the noise issue. Has anyone got any ideas as it drives me mad? (fidji)

Submitted: 03/03/2014 14:45:25 | ID: 62481

Leonard Lawton, England

Renault Scenic 2003

My Renault Scenic will not start, there are no lights on the dashboard and the key card is not working, but it will start with a jump start. Is it an electrical fault?

Submitted: 18/02/2014 09:51:42 | ID: 62185

John, England

Renault Scenic 2003

What causes liquid to appear in the passenger footwell of my Renault Scenic when the air conditioning is running please? (dci.)

Submitted: 10/02/2014 11:01:54 | ID: 60915

Christiana Samuel, Kent

Renault Scenic 2003

My Renault Scenic has been parked on my drive for about two months and my key will not allow me to get into my car. What can I do to get in?

Hi Christiana, I guess you managed to get into your car by now? Otherwise you have a manual key on your card. Just open your card as if you would change the battery and remove a little plastic cover on the passenger handle. Just open the car using the key. The battery on your card or car might be flat. Regards. Nicolas Le Gall from Ireland

Submitted: 03/02/2014 11:41:44 | ID: 61608

Alison Block, Berkshire

Renault Scenic 1999

Hi, can you please let me know why my Renault Scenic was reading the right temperature when I got in the car today and it was reading 28 degrees c but a bit later in the day I got in it and it was reading 32 degrees c. I can’t understand it this is the first time it has done it. Also my second question is it seems really sluggish to go up even the smallest hills. Would there be a reason for this? Thanks.

Submitted: 31/01/2014 09:27:07 | ID: 61541

Eddy Bradbury, England

Renault Scenic 2001

All lights on my Renault Scenic are going dull while the engine is running. Why would it do this please?

Submitted: 30/01/2014 12:00:00 | ID: 60235

Dean Smith, Cardiff

Renault Scenic 2006

My Renault Scenic has a braking fault on the dashboard. It’s just passed it`s MOT and had a service so brake fluid and brake pads are okay. Any other suggestions please?

Submitted: 28/01/2014 15:04:20 | ID: 61391

Beth du Plessis, South Africa

Renault Scenic 2000

Hi. My Renault Scenic has been standing for a few months as I have had to undertake some major repairs. Now that it has been sorted out it is giving all sorts of error codes. Could this be from standing as it never had any prior to this? I basically had to replace the head, all of the valves and the cam belt etc. This was all due to a garage incorrectly fitting the new cam kit when I had it replaced Please advise as I have spent so much on the car already I really can’t afford more major issues? The error codes are as follows: DF002, DF045, DF044, DF057, DF062, DF055, DF018, DF014, DF060. Thank you. (1.6 RXE 16 Valve)

Submitted: 24/01/2014 16:24:45 | ID: 59027

Edgar Lipskis, London

Renault Scenic 2001

Hi, my Renault Scenics automatic dashboard is not working at all, no speed, no fuel, no lights -nothing. The car still starts and drives good. What could be causing this?

Sounds like the ECU. I had the same problem with mine. If you Google Renault Scenic ECU known fault it gives you a wealth of info. Nick Stubbs from Leicestershire

Submitted: 21/01/2014 16:29:39 | ID: 61190

Kelly Bash, England

Renault Scenic 2004

Hi, I recently paid for a new heat resistor and loom on my Renault Scenic and now it has stopped working again. Does anybody have any ideas as nothing is blowing and I`m really fed up?

Submitted: 21/01/2014 12:29:07 | ID: 61220

Steve Neal, England

Renault Scenic 2001

Hi. I own a Renault Scenic 1.9 dci 2001 and I need some info please. At the bulk head there are 3 solenoid valves and I need to know what they are? I know 1 is a glow plug relay. I think 2 is boost control solenoid. I don’t know what the third is and it says nothing in the Haynes about these. I have a problem of no boost so if anyone out there knows what these are please can you tell me? Many thanks.

Sorted. It is a map sensor. I changed all 3 sensors; map sensor, glow plug relay and boost solenoid, but still the same. I have found I have a problem with my car, when I’m driving the electrical fault light/glow plug light comes on now and again. I realised that if I took my foot off the throttle the light would go out, happens more if I hit a slight hill or just coasting at 40/50 or 60 mph, any speed really. It turned out to be pressure loss in the inter cooler system. On mine the pressure is leaking out of the egr housing, there is a pipe that recycles the hot exhaust gas. I noticed that there is oil around the pipe, this is where the pressure is losing an o ring break down. Because the map sensor and the boost valve talk to each other and when pressure is lost the ecu is saying to boost, but there’s not enough pressure to operate the air switch inside the map sensor. The pressure inside the inter cooler for the map sensor is too low, so they are not singing from the same sheet. I thought I’d post this because I know it is a very common fault with 1.9 dci F9Q engines. My Renault is a 1.9 Dci 2001 dynamic+, so just like to say a big thanks to my self "lol" for a lot of research into the system and yes if you are experiencing the same systems then I would say look at pressure loss from the turbo inter cooler, egr housing, split pipes, o-ring split etc. Good luck people. If you need any help contact me on stephenpneal@gmail.com Stephen Neal from Shropshire

Submitted: 16/01/2014 11:04:52 | ID: 60531

Robert Burke, County Tyrone

Renault Scenic 2001

I have a 1.6 16v Renault Scenic and the heater stopped working in it. When you turn it on there is a clicking noise but it won’t turn the blower and the blower`s moving freely. What could be wrong with it? Could anyone help me?

Submitted: 10/01/2014 10:51:09 | ID: 60553

Fiona, England

Renault Scenic 2003

I recently had my exhaust replaced on my 2003 Renault Megane Scenic. Afterwards I noticed the orange engine light on the dashboard was displayed, so I took my car back to the garage and was told the emission sensor needed to be replaced. I agreed to have this work done and this seemed to cure the problem... for about half an hour before the light was displayed again. The mechanic does not seem to know why the orange light is displayed. The car seems to be driving perfectly well but I cannot relax knowing this light is still lit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sounds to me like lamber sensor, this is fitted to the exhaust in the catalytic convertor. It could be a damaged wire or faulty lamber sensor, these aren’t cheap if a garage has fitted it it might be wrong type or a second hand one or just be a faulty one. Try changing it for a new one. Good luck. Steve Neal from England

Submitted: 09/01/2014 09:21:13 | ID: 60412

Tony Perrett, England

Renault Scenic 2001

My Renault Scenic auto suddenly stopped working in drive but is okay in reverse. What`s wrong please? (auto)

Submitted: 07/01/2014 11:57:41 | ID: 60376

Craig Young, England

Renault Scenic 2002

My wife has an 02 Renault Scenic sport. During the summer the car runs perfectly fine, however over the last 2 weeks or so we have had severe rain and wind and now the car refuses to start. She starts first time every time with a push start. At first I thought it was due to cold, but now I’m thinking something is getting rather wet. (When I changed 2 of the coils earlier this year one of them was pretty badly corroded). Any ideas where the water might be getting in? (For now we are covering the car with a car blanket to keep the water out, but that`s not practical all of the time). Any ideas? (Sport)

Submitted: 07/01/2014 10:40:42 | ID: 60384

Paul Chapman, Cheshire

Renault Scenic 2004

My Renault Scenic`s power steering failed so I bought a secondhand column and fitted it but now the car won`t start, no indicators and the steering lock won`t disengage. Will it have to be reprogrammed? Thank you. (mpv)

Submitted: 06/01/2014 09:49:24 | ID: 60281

James White, South Africa

Renault Scenic 2005

I have a Renault Scenic and I drove home from town then parked up and next morning I struggled to start the vehicle. It turns over okay but will not start. The battery power is okay. What can it be?

Submitted: 02/01/2014 15:19:12 | ID: 60075

Lea-Anne Waterston, Angus (Forfarshire)

Renault Scenic 2003

My Renault Scenic`s headlight was out so I changed the bulb but now my car won`t start. There is a clicking noise and there is power as the lights and radio will work but the car won`t start. Does anyone have any ideas?

Submitted: 31/12/2013 09:37:07 | ID: 59757

Carol, London

Renault Scenic 2003

The dashboard computer on my Renault Scenic goes on and off while driving. When on shows then everything is normal ie speed, fuel etc. What is wrong? It seems like a loose connection?

My Scenic 1.5 2004 was the same months ago. The dashboard in left side near the big connector, you will find a small resistor, which if you press will see that when all the dashboard lights are on gets very hot. This means this part needs re welding. E Pilartys from Nottinghamshire

I think there was a recall on some scenic dashboards around this time. Might be worth a check. Tech Nician from Essex

Submitted: 23/12/2013 14:29:29 | ID: 59692

Tracy Cornwall, Yorkshire

Renault Scenic 2005

Hi there. I recently ran my Renault Scenic with no oil for a few weeks. I have now put some oil in and it`s still saying low oil pressure and I have hardly any power in first and second gear. Please help?

Submitted: 23/12/2013 11:36:57 | ID: 59630

Mandy Davies, Berkshire

Renault Scenic 2000

My Renault Scenic Elize sport 1.6 keeps jerking causing the engine to shake when on low revs and causing her to lose power. Please can anyone help as I love my car?

Submitted: 17/12/2013 11:29:43 | ID: 59403

Gerhardt van Nieuwenhuizen, South Africa

Renault Scenic 2003

My Renault Scenic is driving nicely until you get to 100km and then the engine light comes on. Then I have no power and can`t go faster then 80km. What can the problem be? Can you please help me? (1.9 dci)

Submitted: 17/12/2013 10:11:31 | ID: 56026

Darren Speller, Dorset

Renault Scenic 2004

Hi, I have a 1.4 Renault Megan Scenic and it has developed a squealing noise and whirring grindy noise which comes and goes but is louder when driving. When stationary it stops and starts and sounds a bit like r2 d2 if you konw what I mean at intervals. Any answers please?

Submitted: 16/12/2013 14:25:04 | ID: 53988

David, Surrey

Renault Scenic 2002

How easy is it to change the key fob battery on a Renault Scenic 2002 and do I need to re-program the key fob for the immobiliser?

Submitted: 09/12/2013 16:14:36 | ID: 58953

Mrs Kerr, Cornwall

Renault Scenic 2006

Hi. In the last two weeks my Renault Scenic went into the dealers to have regulator and loom change for a window problem. After that my fan made loud noises as if something was caught in it for about a week, then it suddenly stopped and was okay. Now I’ve been told by the garage that the pulley connected to the cam belt has gone and will cost me a fair amount of money. I need to know if and when doing this window work could the dealer have caused this pulley problem when doing the wiring etc, as it all seems very coincidental to me that all this happened at the same time? Thanks, I would appreciate a response.

Submitted: 09/12/2013 16:12:51 | ID: 58972

Sharon Amphlett, Buckinghamshire

Renault Scenic 2010

I have had my Renault Scenic for two months and it has been okay, but yesterday morning it accelerated on it`s own. I took my foot off the accelerator and it continued to accelerate, the revs went up and the car continued to speed up. At first I thought I must have got the car mat stuck or a sticky pedal but the same thing happened on the way home from work in the evening- this time followed by the red engine failure light. I called for roadside assistance as I didn’t feel I should continue to drive the car, but it had appeared to reset? So no fault was apparent. When I took it to the garage (still under warranty) they rang and have just said they can`t find anything wrong. I`m terrified, I will find myself out of warranty in a month`s time with a hefty bill, not to mention having to drive a car that is unsafe! Any ideas? (i music)

Submitted: 09/12/2013 12:34:35 | ID: 58979

Crystal Snow, England

Renault Scenic 2005

Hi there. On Sunday we were running low on fuel and our Renault Scenic started jerking, so we went to a garage as you do to fill up and even after we filled it up it was still jerking. Then it flashed up on the dashboard to check emissions and was smelling of egg. What could this possibly be and is it expensive to get fixed? Look forward to your answer, thanks.

Submitted: 09/12/2013 12:27:07 | ID: 58956

Gerhardt van Nieuwenhuizen, South Africa

Renault Scenic 2003

I can`t seem to find an engine for my Renault Scenic 1.9 dci . Can I use an alternative engine and if so what can I use?

Submitted: 25/11/2013 16:27:42 | ID: 92707

Mpho Magabane, South Africa

Renault Scenic 2003

I have a Renault Scenic 2003 model. We are trying to insert the key in the key slot but the key doesn’t go in fully, only half of it. Seems like there`s something inside the slot but when we look inside we can’t see what’s inside. Is it locked? What must we do to get to the bottom of this problem?

Submitted: 21/11/2013 12:33:06 | ID: 58204

Ron Meakin, England

Renault Scenic 2004

How much antifreeze is required for this Renault Scenic? (1.9 Diesel)

Submitted: 15/11/2013 10:26:35 | ID: 89706

Leonard Banks, Kent

Renault Scenic 2004

Heat does not come out of the footwell on my Renault Scenic, but the heater motor still works and the heat comes out of the vents and the dash. Can anyone help me please as winter is creeping in?

I’ve got the same problem, been told by the garage that a flap in the heatercore is broken and they need to replace the whole thing, which will come to nearly £1000. Ouch! Would be nice to have an independent confirmation of this. EuroTyke from England

Submitted: 15/11/2013 10:23:27 | ID: 57888

Andrew, Hampshire

Renault Scenic 2002

Hi. My Renault Scenic struggles to fire up on cold mornings, especially frosty mornings. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

Submitted: 14/11/2013 15:15:35 | ID: 57848

Phlemin Adams, Nottinghamshire

Renault Scenic 2002

Where is the alarm situated on my 2002 Renault Scenic 1900 dci dynamique? I cannot seem to locate it. (dynamique)

Try looking at the glow plugs first, pull them out and test them from a live feed from the +12 battery. If they glow red you know they are good. If all are good go for glow plug relay located at the bulkhead, it’s silver and has a wiring loom coming from it. I changed mine, £40 eBay Steve Neal from Shropshire

Submitted: 14/11/2013 09:54:38 | ID: 57804

Michael C, England

Renault Scenic 2000

I am having problems with my Renault Scenic. When accelerating the car seems to shudder from the back end where the exhaust box is. It does not sound like it is blowing and only does this intermittently. I just wonder what could be causing this problem?

Submitted: 12/11/2013 16:22:14 | ID: 57791

Mervern, South Africa

Renault Scenic 2002

I’m about to buy a 2002 Renault Scenic 1.4 with mileage 166,000. Can anyone please tell me the common faults and is it a costly car to maintain?

Electrics - windows and worse. I won’t be buying another Dominic from England

Don’t bother, my son has had a lot of problems. Not worth it, buy a Ford Rose Letter from England

Run away from the Scenic as far as possible. My car’s defaser pulley bearing failed, the car’s hand brake would not release and the car was totally immobile, it had to be dragged onto the brake down truck. Took it to a main dealer in Dunstable. The pulley should have been replaced on a free recall, the dealer was rubbish and the car wasn’t looked at for four weeks. They then had the nerve to say more important brakedowns had came in. After six weeks the car was ready. On picking it up the driver’s side was badly scratched and they wanted £1000, on phoning Renault UK I was told the time had run out for the recall. I had to pay, but I will never buy another Renault. Robin Richardson from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 12/11/2013 14:22:06 | ID: 57756