RENAULT MASTER questions and answers

RENAULT Master

Ask and answer questions on a variety of RENAULT MASTER models. Help and advice on everything RENAULT MASTER. Feel free to ask and answer as many RENAULT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest RENAULT MASTER questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Frankland, South Yorkshire

Renault Master

I have just bought Renault Master 2005 SL33 DCI 100 SWB 2463cc Panel van (ex Gas Board) could not find a manual for it anywhere so purchased 4 DVD set of ebay, only problem is I don't know what vehicle type it is, I need to select from a long list like EV0A, FV0A, HV0A etc. before I can get to anything meaning full. I know this will sound daft but I have not even found the battery yet, any information would be gratefully received even if its an alternative to Haynes publications.

Submitted: 17/04/2014 22:48:13 | ID: 94381

Les, Surrey

Renault Master

I have water in the oil. If I fill up the water tank it disappears. I have checked the oil level and this has increased. I have now removed the cylinder head and can see no problems with the head gasket. Before I removed the head gasket I tried a head gasket repair solution but this had no effect. The water is going straight into the oil. Any ideas. The cylinder head also looks on good condition no signs of cracks. Thanks

what engine size is it? Lex from Cardiff

Submitted: 16/04/2014 15:32:14 | ID: 94320

philip, Antrim

Renault Master

Hi, The check injection light has come on dash . The van is going fine . what does this mean . I get my fuel from the same garage ( reputable ) every fill as I have an account there . Any help .

Submitted: 13/04/2014 11:14:38 | ID: 94170

John, France

Renault Master

Hi trying to buy a master 2.5 129 DCI however its been stood for 12 months and had to free of one brake and repalace a part on the air supension all this is fine. I then took it for a test drive and it blew a 'disk' of the side of the engine covering the crank bolt I guess. The engine has dumped most of its oil over the road and underside of the van but was still running when we switched it off. It has only covered 120K miles 2002 model ex transport ambulance. It sort of suits my needs and the price is ok but what is the likely cause of the disk blowing off and what is the likely damage thanks in advance

Submitted: 12/04/2014 19:49:08 | ID: 94145

Roger Power, Surrey

Renault Master 2002

My Renault Master van 2.2 dci has an issue with the power steering belt, it keeps shredding after about 200 miles. It has been replaced twice now, once by Renault. This time it has shredded whilst idle on my driveway and there appears to be an oil leak. I`m not certain yet if it is power steering oil. The van drives beautifully other than this issue. Have you any ideas what the problem could be? (2.2 dci)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 14:03:40 | ID: 93904

Chris Rodgers, Shropshire

Renault Master 2001

Will the engine and box from a 2004 Fiat Ducato 2.8 tdi fit into a Renault Master t35 2.8 tdi?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 12:17:35 | ID: 93927

Darren Hill, England

Renault Master 2002

I`ve been told that a Renault Master 2002 is the same as a Vauxhall Movano, is this true? I`ve been looking for a manual for my van but just cannot seem to find one for it. Thanks. (Renault Master 2002)

Submitted: 01/04/2014 09:37:51 | ID: 93692

Dennis Smith, Dumfriesshire

Renault Master 2005

Where is the oil filter situated in my Renault Master 2005 van? I can`t find it and I want to change the filter when I change the oil. Please help. (2.5 dci 100)

Submitted: 10/03/2014 11:13:22 | ID: 62674

Ray Waterman, England

Renault Master 2006

I have a Renault Master. I put the key in and turn on and the preheating indicator comes on as it should, then goes out. I can start the engine with no trouble but the only thing is as soon as the engine starts the preheating light comes on and stays on. The engine runs fine. Why is it coming back on and staying on?

You need new glow plugs mine’s the same. Shaun from Oxfordshire

EGR valve maybe slightly open. Bill Car from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 25/02/2014 16:19:41 | ID: 62352

Terence, Derbyshire

Renault Master 2011

I have a 2011 Renault Master that has been in an accident and the airbag has gone off. I have repaired the van and the only thing I haven`t done yet is the airbag. Will this stop it from starting or is there a fuel cut out switch?

Hi, I got the same problem with a 62 reg Movano. Had an accident and an air bag blew. Now it won’t start. It’s been shut off by Ecu, so I have been told. Regards. Matthew Elvidge from Essex

Hi, I had Laguna and same problem. It wouldn’t start until I took the fuse from the airbag off. Stan from England

Hiya, my Movano had a fuel pressure shut down switch in the Ecu. It needed clip 2014 to sort it and it runs fine now. Good luck Matthew Elvidge from Essex

Submitted: 10/02/2014 11:50:36 | ID: 68141

John Gummer, England

Renault Master 2006

My Renault Master has just had 4 new injectors fitted and the egr valve has been checked, but now I have low power when going up hills. It seems like a slight missing when the accelerator is pressed and there`s black smoke from the exhaust. I was told it`s unburnt fuel. Do you need to set up injectors when fitting? I was told no, is that correct? My engine is 2.5. Please can anybody help as I`m not sure what to do next?

Got similar problem with mine. I cleaned the connections on the connectors to the switches on the foot pedals, which seems to have improved things. Sean from Kent

If it has a turbo it could be that the turbo’s on the way out or one of the air flow pipes coming from the turbo is split or not sealed and therefore it lets air out and loses power. Wayne Edwards from Wales

Submitted: 04/02/2014 15:27:04 | ID: 61716

Tommy Day, Durham

Renault Master 2000

Hi. I have a Renault Master 2.8 turbo diesel. Last week the gear box started to make a noise when pulling away in first gear, it sounds as if something is spinning. I started to just use second gear to pull away and now that is starting to make the same noise and it`s starting to jump out of gear sometimes. I`m getting all of the gears okay. I`ve drained the oil out of the gear box today and it looks okay. Will I need a new gear box or will an oil change help? Thanks.

New gearbox needed D Allan from Ayrshire

Submitted: 23/01/2014 09:20:42 | ID: 61288

Shane Wollacott, Hampshire

Renault Master 1999

Hi, I`m just wondering if you can help me? My Renault Master seems to have developed a loud knocking noise when the van is steering left or right. I have checked cv joints and wheel bearings but the noise is still there, it is very loud too. I would appreciate any offers of advice please? Thank you.

Hi. More than likely it is power steering problem. It could be power steering fluid leaking. It may need the power steering pipes to be replaced. VJ Transport VJ from Ireland

Submitted: 20/12/2013 11:39:29 | ID: 59529

Antony Clifton, Essex

Renault Master 1998

The speedometer on my Renault Master 1998 model is not working at all but everything else on the instrument panel is. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I`m not sure if it is run by cable or a fuse either?

Submitted: 13/12/2013 09:57:16 | ID: 59092

Guy McCallan, Bedfordshire

Renault Master 2006

My Renault Masters stop and battery light are illuminated. Fan belt, battery connections and fuses are all fine. Any clues what to check please?

Hi Guy, I just got the same issue today, same van , same year. I wonder if you had yours resolved yet? I think it may be an alternator, but my car has 38k on it:/ my email is mariuszek67@wp.pl regards Mariusz from London

Submitted: 10/12/2013 15:18:11 | ID: 59067

Ian Stoker, England

Renault Master 2002

My Renault Master van will only start with easystart or a bump. Two injectors were down so I replaced them but it is still the same? Any ideas?

If your van only starts with easi start or a bump start it shouldn’t be anything to do with injectors. I would be looking at the glo plugs on the engine or the glo plug relay. If its not starting off the key it because the glo plugs aren’t working so there is no heat in the cylinders for the initial combustion stroke. Mike from England

Submitted: 03/12/2013 16:14:28 | ID: 58752

David, Ireland

Renault Master 2005

A belt came off my Renault Master and snapped, I drove it home without power steering and now it will not turn over. I just want to know the belt`s name and is it easy enough to put a new one on because I know where it is located?

The power steering belt drives the alternator. When you drove home it will be running off the battery hence not starting. Check ebay for p steer belt Mark Nicholson from Scotland

Submitted: 25/11/2013 16:31:22 | ID: 92709

Graham, England

Renault Master 1990

I have a Renault Master 1990 motorhome. Can you tell me how much anti freeze I require please? Thank you.

Submitted: 25/11/2013 14:34:33 | ID: 58479

Per Pokosta, Sweden

Renault Master 2000

My Renault Master`s side panel light and sign light are not working. Both fuses were broken and I fitted new ones but there is no power at either lamp. Where is the connection point after the fuses? Are there more fuses then those under the steering? (citybus)

Submitted: 12/11/2013 12:58:55 | ID: 57752

Simon Smith, England

Renault Master 2007

I’m getting a grinding noise when my Renault Master brakes. The brakes have been checked and are sound. The noise sounds like the gearbox or drive shafts but the van went straight through it`s MOT. Any pointers?

I know this may sound stupid but check on the roof. I had a similar problem grinding when braking it turned out to be a bolt rolling around on the roof. Also check round inside for stuff that can roll about. Good luck Mark Nic from Lancashire

It’s probably your steering column and steering ECU. When I used to brake it had that feel, as though I was breaking on gravel, yet it was normal tarred road or concrete surface! When the steering ECU packed up all of a sudden when breaking hard/light that shuddering feeling was gone! Good luck. Khalil Ebrahim from South Africa

Submitted: 04/11/2013 14:36:58 | ID: 57294

Lee Buttress, England

Renault Master 2010

Does anybody know the recommended engine service of a Renault Master?

Submitted: 10/10/2013 10:08:36 | ID: 56021

Jim Gately, County Tyrone

Renault Master 2011

Does anyone know where the oil filter is situated on my Renault Master please? (van)

Submitted: 07/10/2013 14:10:54 | ID: 55930

Colin Brady, County Antrim

Renault Master 2010

The alarm on the dash of my Renault Master shows that the side door is open and the alarm keeps bleeping, even though the door is closed. Can anybody suggest a cure please?

Submitted: 24/09/2013 14:10:48 | ID: 54913

Paul Rust, England

Renault Master 2000

How do I replace the clutch on my Renault Master van please?

Submitted: 24/09/2013 09:37:55 | ID: 54853

Anthony Patterson, England

Renault Master 2002

The central locking has not worked on my van for at least 2 year now. I bought 2 new keys & fobs & had them set up to work on my van but they still would not work. I was advised to go to a Renault dealer to sort it out but because of the high prices they charge I never went!! I took my van into an auto repairers in my town after an attempted break in they tell me the side door & back doors require a couple of parts to get the central locking working but when I asked him if the van alarm would be then in working order he said I should contact Renault to see if it would work the alarm as well as the immobilizer. So my question is once the central locking is repaired will the van alarm work if some one breaks into the van & does it work in conjunction with the van’s horn?

Submitted: 17/09/2013 10:53:21 | ID: 54410

Tracey Robb, Northamptonshire

Renault Master 2003

Hi. My Renault Master has started cutting out mid drive when it`s warm - after 20-30 minutes driving. If I`m quick and turn the key on off and it`s still rolling it will bump, otherwise it`s really hard to get started again. AA said the fuel cut off had tripped - had I hit a pothole but definitely not that now. It`s doing this more regularly and without warning now. It`s as if there is no power to kick the engine up again when I try to restart. Can anyone offer any advice? (lwb hightop)

Hi. Have you visually checked the fuel line from filter to engine for any air bubbles? If it is a clear transparent line like on my 07 Master air bubbles were present and I found that the assembly on the top of the filter where the bulb is, was taking in air. It kept on cutting out when it was warm and going up hills. Ran ok when I bypassed the filter altogether, however, I did this to test it only. If there is air in the clear fuel line before the filter there will be a fuel line/tank leak etc. Check whole line from tank to engine. It’s worth a try anyway Sue Conlon from Derbyshire

It’s one of your injectors. When one fails the engine’s ECM (electronic computer managment) shuts down the engine and puts the van in safe mode, before any major damage ocurs. Chris Musselle from Cardiff

Submitted: 11/07/2013 09:02:31 | ID: 65152

Trevor Bruce, Kent

Renault Master 2005

My Renault Master’s internal fan will only operate on the highest setting, the other three settings are not working. Does anyone know if this is a common fault and what is causing this problem please? (Dci 140)

Sounds like your resistor in your fan motor assembly has blown or it could be your Rheostat (if fitted). The fan switch has a resistor to allow for the voltage change when operating in low speed. Mike from England

Submitted: 09/07/2013 09:20:12 | ID: 65133

Joe, Lothians

Renault Master 2004

Hi, I have a Renault Master sl28 dci 100 and I have had the head gasket done last year and all seemed fine, but now there is an oily/grey mayo liquid in the water tank. I have heard that it could be the oil cooler but I don`t know if my van has one. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be please?

Submitted: 10/06/2013 15:37:52 | ID: 58409

Rasme Nakornsuwan, England

Renault Master 2002

Renault Master: I have replaced the head gasket. It started up but stays on for 3-5 seconds and cuts off it will start again but does the same things. The engine was find before only have oil in water. Any idea what wrong? (2.5dci)

Submitted: 30/05/2013 14:53:04 | ID: 54702

Eva Kowalczyk, England

Renault Master 2012

Every time there is a vehicle in front of me I can smell their exhaust fumes in my Renault Master`s cabin, even with the vents closed. The only time I can’t smell them is if I turn on the recirculating air button. Does anyone know why?

Submitted: 24/05/2013 09:10:25 | ID: 55718

Bob Olive, Lincolnshire

Renault Master 2001

My Renault Master`s engine management light has come on and I don’t seem to be getting full revs. The van hasn’t had a run out since January, it`s only started and been shunted around my drive. Does anyone have any ideas please? (ex ambulance)

Submitted: 15/05/2013 12:49:11 | ID: 55490

Mark Goldsborough, England

Renault Master 2006

Hi, does anybody know how to disable the "side door open" buzzing noise on my Renault Master when the engine is switched on? I use the vehicle as a taxi and it is really annoying when somebody opens the side door and the buzzer starts.

Submitted: 02/05/2013 12:38:59 | ID: 90792

Craig Searstone, England

Renault Master 2001

Hi, when I start my Renault Master van up it has two red lights on, on the dashboard. One says "STOP" and the other is an engine symbol. What do they mean? I don`t drive the van anymore but I want to MOT it and sell it. Does anybody know what the problem is please? Thanks.

Had this on mine, it’s probably the injectors faulty or a build up of carbons Pete from England

Submitted: 25/04/2013 14:10:27 | ID: 93218

Clive Leyland, Devon

Renault Master 2005

The rear door on the driver`s side of my Renault Master got caught by a gust of wind and it blew open, but not back on itself. It looks as though the door has moved slightly as there is no gap between the door and the body of the van. Is there a way of re-aligning the door?

Submitted: 19/04/2013 09:40:03 | ID: 93155

Deva O’Neill, England

Renault Master 1988

Hi, I am having to replace a water pipe in my Renault Master`s engine which I know how to do. However, I don’t know how to bleed my radiator in order to get the air out afterwards and can`t seem to find anything on the internet that could help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Can anyone help me please? Thanks. (2.0 litre engine)

Submitted: 16/04/2013 09:11:01 | ID: 92875

Anthony Hibbert, Flintshire

Renault Master

My Renault Master`s remote key fob has stopped locking and unlocking the side door although all other doors lock. The side door can still be locked with the key. Has anybody got any ideas? (90 dci swb)

If you clean the contacts where the door closes against the door pillar, the central locking will work – Hector from Somerset

Submitted: 05/04/2013 09:06:06 | ID: 68429

Ian Wilkie, Sussex

Renault Master 2005

Hello. Some kind person has levered off the side door handle of my Renault Master van. I have now got a new one but can’t work out where the link arm connects to. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 04/04/2013 10:43:30 | ID: 92604

Roland Fort, England

Renault Master 2006

My Renault Master tiptronic is stuck in first gear where I parked. The next day it wouldn`t engage with the key and wouldn`t change out of first gear to neutral as it always does to start. I know what is not causing the problem as I had a new battery 6 months ago, as well as new keys and locks 3 months ago. Can anyone suggest what the problem is?

Hi. I have a fully working tiptronic unit from my 06 van. My mechanic replaced in error ??? yes in error... but at his expense. Replacement is £2000.00 will sell very cheap call 07595265062 John Walker from Stirlingshire

Submitted: 02/04/2013 10:12:34 | ID: 92036

Rodney Connor, England

Renault Master 1999

My Renault Master van won`t start. The central locking light is on but not flashing. Could it be the ecu but I can`t find it on my van? Can I override the immobiliser light and will it start?

Put the key in the ignition, let the glow-plug light go out then press the button on the fob down as you start it. This will override the immobiliser and it should start. Dave from London

Submitted: 28/03/2013 12:24:42 | ID: 92206

Tommy Day, Durham

Renault Master 2000

I have a Renault Master 2.8 turbo diesel and the fuel line melted. I`ve put a new pipe on but have got air in the fuel line. Can anyone please tel me how to bleed the fuel? Thanks. (2.8 turbo diesel)

Submitted: 25/03/2013 09:20:29 | ID: 92180