RENAULT CLIO questions and answers

RENAULT Clio

Ask and answer questions on a variety of RENAULT CLIO models. Help and advice on everything RENAULT CLIO. Feel free to ask and answer as many RENAULT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest RENAULT CLIO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

laura, Greater Manchester

Renault Clio

I recently got the new 14 reg Dynamique Media Nav- 1.2. I filled my car up with petrol on Friday - Its now Wednesday, and since have made numerous trips to and from work which is approx. 15miles per day. Yet my fuel tank is still showing at full and, but my mileage has gone up. Is this because its a new car and a full tank of petrol wouldn't of been put in the car before. Should I take this to a garage to be looked at? Thanks

Submitted: 16/04/2014 08:20:36 | ID: 94299

tjay, Cardiff

Renault Clio

hi....... i have a 1.2 renault clio 1.2 campus sport and i heard a click like the fuse had blown but i carnt seem to find the fuse anywhere, its a 55 plate edition, but i read some answers on yahoo and they recon that if the fuse has gone if the radio and back window demister isnt working but on mine they are but the radio is working but it beeps and turns itself off after about 15 minutes of use?? thanks in adavnce and hope to here back off you tjay

Submitted: 13/04/2014 12:06:40 | ID: 94172

martin, Cardiff

Renault Clio

My renault clio road wheel won't spin after I had a new clutch fitted. At first it was but now it won't. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Submitted: 11/04/2014 12:51:13 | ID: 94095

Senate Nkuebe, Lesotho

Renault Clio 2001

While changing gears my Renault Clio makes a huge sound, so may I ask what might be the cause?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 09:22:32 | ID: 93714

Susie Wylie, Kent

Renault Clio 2007

I have misplaced my security screwdriver to take off the wheel trim and have a flat tyre. Can i easily get a replacement?

Submitted: 26/03/2014 15:36:08 | ID: 93560

Kirsty Young, England

Renault Clio 2001

Hiya. I just bought my Renault Clio 1.2 and the central locking isn`t working by the key, even when I put the key in the door it doesn’t lock my boot or passenger door, but if I press the button in the car it locks them. I am going to try a new battery and hopefully it will work. I have another problem in that the mileage doesn’t work, but the bit above it that tells the full miles for the car works. Can anyone help me please?

Submitted: 25/03/2014 11:32:39 | ID: 63224

Joseph, Dumfriesshire

Renault Clio 2011

For about a week now, the Tomtom Sat Nav on my Renault Clio is displaying the exterior temperature of 59 degrees celsius. It then goes down to about 56C, but rises again back to 59. This is Scotland in winter, not the Sahara desert. What is going on? Help. (1.2 tomtom dynamique)

Submitted: 25/03/2014 11:25:25 | ID: 63217

Lesley Wing, England

Renault Clio 2011

I have just changed the high beam bulb on my Renault Clio and now there is a buzzing noise when I turn my lights on?

Submitted: 20/03/2014 15:10:59 | ID: 63079

Ken Richards, Merthyr Tydfil

Renault Clio 2006

Hi. I have a 2006 Renault Clio mk3 1.5 hdi and the headlights are staying permanently on. I`m unable to put high beam on or flash them and the wipers aren’t working. Please has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.

Submitted: 20/03/2014 11:54:08 | ID: 63013

Phillip Cree, England

Renault Clio 2000

My Renault Clio cuts out when I’m lifting the clutch up to the biting point. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks.

Submitted: 10/03/2014 11:53:42 | ID: 62687

Abby, England

Renault Clio 2007

I have just bought my Renault Clio and I cannot adjust the seat up or down or adjust the seat incline, however I can slide the chair backwards and forwards. What should I do? (ExtremeI)

Submitted: 04/03/2014 14:21:19 | ID: 62537

Richard, Wales

Renault Clio 2009

Hi all, recently the full beam lights have failed to come on in my Renault Clio, even the blue light on the dashboard does not appear. I took the car for a service and asked them to look at the lights and they thought it was the bulbs, but when I went to get the car they said that they were fine and the fuses were good. They put it on their electronic system and that did not show any fault so they said they did not know why they were not coming on. Has anyone else had this sort of problem and is there something that is easily missed? Thanks for your time.

Submitted: 18/02/2014 14:29:07 | ID: 62220

Craig Strout, Wiltshire

Renault Clio 2003

Hi, I am having trouble starting my Renault Clio when cold. I`ve had new injectors, glow plugs and replaced all sensors and cleaned out the pipe to the egr valve. I had it reset on the computer twice now but the problem still comes back a day after reset. Could anyone shed any light on the situation, it`s really doing my head in now? (1.5)

I had the same problem with my Daewoo Tacuma I loved the car but had to let it go last week. I was told that it was water mixing with the oil, it broke my heart that car I spent over six hundred pound on repairs for it and wasn’t prepared to spend any more on it it might be time to let go and go for a Kia with seven years warranty Dee Mills from Northern Ireland

Submitted: 11/02/2014 15:07:08 | ID: 62012

Kat Phillips, Yorkshire

Renault Clio 2002

I have a Renault Clio 1.2 16v sport 2002 which has started making a really high pitched squeal on start up in damp weather. When I put it into first gear it gets worse but then goes away and it sometimes stops if I put the clutch in. It goes away after a while as if when it`s warmed up it doesn`t seem to affect how it drives. I have also noticed if I put my heating on it doesn`t do it, so if I leave the heating off and then put it on after 10 minutes it does squeal but if I leave it off all of the time it doesn`t do it. I have had the belt tightened so I don`t think it`s that and it does it just by starting the engine in rain or icy weather, but it sounded a bit rough today and sometimes the heating smells a bit like burning but only for a while. I would be grateful for any help please? Thanks. (1.2 16v sport 2002)

Submitted: 06/02/2014 11:02:02 | ID: 61773

Tony C, England

Renault Clio 2005

When I indicate left or right in my Renault Clio I have noticed that the rear light fog light icon on the dashboard flickers with the blinking of the indicator icon. Does anyone know what I can do about this please?

I had the exact same same problem a few weeks back, you can either do it yourself or take it to the garage. On the rear lights the bulb holder cluster and wire cluster gets corroded over time, it needs to be cleaned up with a brush and liquid. I gave it to my garage and he charged me a couple of quid. If that doesn’t work and it’s heavily corroded you have to replace it, you can find the parts on eBay. King from England

Submitted: 04/02/2014 10:22:20 | ID: 61686

Audrey Caughey, Scotland

Renault Clio 1999

Hi. I`ve recently just had my timing belt done on my Renault Clio and a new clutch part fitted to do with the thrust bearn as it was making a squealing noise. I`ve had them all renewed and replaced but my temperature gauge is at the top. I can`t turn the heater on as the temperature gauge sits at the top bar. It`s an X reg Clio le Grande. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Submitted: 03/02/2014 15:14:29 | ID: 56176

Tebogo Golele, South Africa

Renault Clio 2002

I have a 2002 Renault Clio 1.2 16v and it`s gear stick is seriously shaking non stop and the engine is shaking also. The oil is leaking into the oil filter. Please can anyone help me?

Submitted: 31/01/2014 12:38:07 | ID: 61585

Chris Ryan, Middlesex

Renault Clio 2002

My daughter’s 2002 1.5 diesel Renault Clio with 105,000 miles had been standing for months. We jump started it and took it out but I stalled it and it would not start so we got some passers-by to help try to bump it. The car would not start immediately but we kept pushing it. It then made a horrible noise and, even though it was in gear, it rolled as if in neutral with a horrible crunchy/grinding noise - as if all of the teeth on a gear had been stripped. We called roadside assistance who used a starter to get it going. It clearly needs a new battery. When we put the car into gear and let out the clutch it made a grinding noise but then the gears started to work again. The mechanic tested the car and said there was some gearbox noise which would need attention, which could cost £800 - but he then offered to buy it! My daughter drove the car home and said the gearbox seemed fine. What could have happened and should I sell it for effectively scrap value which would be the case if it needs a new box? (diesel)

Submitted: 24/01/2014 10:33:15 | ID: 61333

Gary Brechin, England

Renault Clio 2008

Hello, I have a Renault Clio 1.5 dci and it has an erratic idle. I use the car for driving lessons and when going slowly backwards the car jerks. The car jerks forward too, it seems to get a rush of revs every now and then. I have had it to 3 mechanics and they all couldn’t diagnose the fault and all are saying different things. No codes came up. I had a new egr valve fitted. The engine has been terra cleaned twice which did help with the car`s running for a few weeks. I use fuel additive to clean the injectors regularly. Servicing is up to date and the fuel filter has been changed. Can anyone help please? I saw someone on youtube with the same fault but they had no comments. Please help as I`m going to get rid if I can’t solve it? Thank you. (1.5dci Dynamique)

Submitted: 16/01/2014 14:51:49 | ID: 60785

Maimie Ireland, Northern Ireland

Renault Clio 2007

Is the cigarette lighter plug on the Renault Clio isolated when the engine is off? I want to use CIG plug to trickle from a Solar charger.

Submitted: 16/01/2014 14:19:06 | ID: 72738

Michael Bower, Lancashire

Renault Clio 2001

Has anyone any idea how to release the rear seat belt on my Renault Clio? My child let it go and now it won`t pull back out. I have left it for a few days but it`s not released. Any ideas?

Submitted: 14/01/2014 09:16:13 | ID: 60688

M, London

Renault Clio 2010

I seem to be having a lot of tyre problems with my Renault Clio. I had all 4 replaced at Kwikfit last month only to get a flat today. Kwikfit could not find anything wrong with the tyre, but because I drove with the flat too far it was too damaged so I ended up buying a new tyre. Should the driver`s side front tyre have a lower pressure than the others?

Tyre pressures are always equal on both sides, your Clio will be 2.2 bar on both fronts and 2.0 bar on both rears. Ideally check or adjust when cold (ie not after a long run) If you persistently lose pressure on one wheel and you have alloy wheels, it could be a rim leak. - Martin (Master technician 20+ years) Anonymous from

Submitted: 13/01/2014 11:24:42 | ID: 60648

Pete, Warwickshire

Renault Clio 2001

How do you change the rear brake light bulb on my Renault Clio? I can`t see a way into it at all. Do you have to remove the light?

Yes the whole light has to be removed and requires a torque screwdriver to remove the screw. I take my car to our local garage and they replace the bulb for me without difficulty. Margaret Smith from Derbyshire

Submitted: 09/01/2014 15:15:07 | ID: 60509

Melissa, South Africa

Renault Clio 2012

My husband bought a second hand Renault Clio recently and we have been experiencing problems with the alarm going off while driving. We read somewhere to hold in the door lock button until it beeps, but this doesn`t seem to help. All we have noticed is that when we get out and lock the car sometimes it beeps to let us know the alarm is set and sometimes the indicators just flash and there is no beep. Also when starting the car, sometimes the indicators flash rapidly and then it starts and sometimes it doesn`t. We have recently taken it for a service and mentioned the problem, but we were told that there is nothing wrong with the electronics. Please can someone help urgently, as this is getting very annoying?

Submitted: 07/01/2014 09:34:45 | ID: 65407

Wes Fox, Sussex

Renault Clio 2002

I have a 52 plate Renault Clio and my speedometer reads higher mph than what I’m actually doing, it tells me I’m doing 80mph when I’m actually doing 50mph, Any idea why this could be? (Expression)

Incorrect or faulty speed sensor or speedo head or incorrect wheels or tyre size. Martin (Master technician 20 + years) from Durham

Submitted: 06/01/2014 12:51:27 | ID: 60351

Emma Wilson, England

Renault Clio 2001

I have a Renault Clio. I figured out that the problem I had with my passenger side headlight not working was down to a loose wire on the black box that holds the bulb. Now my indicatior on the same side has blown and neither of my headlights want to work. Could it be a fuse blown from the indicator going, or they just decided they would all blow in one go? Also I have no idea where my fuse box is please? Thanks. (Grande 1.2)

Submitted: 06/01/2014 10:38:15 | ID: 60267

Allan Dunnill, England

Renault Clio 2002

Can anybody please help? I have a Renault Clio 1.5 dci Privilege on a 52 plate. When I am driving I can hear a drumming noise coming from underneath the car. Also sometimes it starts to wobble. Does anyone have this same problem or can help me please? Thank you.

Sounds like a wheel bearing. Jack each wheel up in turn and spin by hand as fast as you can, if one is worn it will grumble and most likely sound different to the others, it may also have movement if you rock the wheel side to side by pushing on the tyre at opposite sides. Martin (Master technician 20 + years) from Durham

Submitted: 02/01/2014 14:55:17 | ID: 60067

Peter Costello, Cheshire

Renault Clio 2001

My Renault Clio`s front-end makes a grinding noise only when braking, even very gently. I`ve had new discs and pads fitted but still have the problem. As soon as the brake is released the noise stops. It definitely sounds wheel related but as I said the grinding noise starts even when the brake pedal is depressed very gently. Seemed it must be the front brake(s) but was not fixed when both discs and pads were replaced. Does anyone know what`s wrong? (1.6l Elize)

Submitted: 23/12/2013 11:13:00 | ID: 59653

Harry Bowmer, Kent

Renault Clio 2007

The passenger door of my Renault Clio will not unlock when pressing the button on my key but it will lock using this button. It will also lock and unlock using the button on the dashboard. Any ideas? (Dynamique)

Submitted: 17/12/2013 08:59:23 | ID: 58721

Sarah, England

Renault Clio 2001

Hi, I bought a secondhand 1.2 Renault Clio back in April and many things have gone wrong/been replaced (it was a bad buy, I’ll hold my hands up), rear bearings, lights, tyres. Anyway, it’s done 113,400 miles ish and up until the last couple of weeks the rpm seems to have increased a lot. It was always on the 30 when I was going at 70mph, but now it is on the 30 when I’m driving at 60mph. I’m not just relying on the tach gauge, it sounds like it’s straining a lot more too. I am getting it looked at next week but if anyone can give me a vague idea/cost of repair then I’d be very grateful? (1.2 engine)

Submitted: 16/12/2013 13:00:24 | ID: 92108

Ricky Cocko, England

Renault Clio 2002

Hi. I have a Renault Clio extreme 1.2 16v. When I get in my car and start up my headlights flash like crazy and the clock stops, lights go off, I can`t wind down my windows or lock my doors and the hazzards don`t work. When it`s doing it I can hear a clicking noise from my relay box on the passenger side under the dash. What could it be? Plus my gear earth cable is snapped. Could it have something to do with that? Thank you.

Submitted: 10/12/2013 15:02:18 | ID: 91137

Frank Hodder, Sussex

Renault Clio 2005

The fuse for the rear lights and rear number plate lights on my Renault Clio blows for no apparent reason. Changing the fuse solves the problem but it blows again sometimes after a few hours and other times it will last for days. There appears to be no logic as to why and a automobile electrical shop have not been able to solve the problem. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 06/12/2013 15:31:39 | ID: 58923

Ernest Maurice, South Africa

Renault Clio 2003

Hi. I have a 2003 Renault Clio 1, 2 16v. Yesterday I tried to get rid of the oil that accumulates in the intake manifold and air filter box using a hand pump which I normally use to suck oil from the dipstick pipe, so as not to remove the drain plug when doing an oil change. I moved the pipe deep inside the intake manifold to make sure I suck as much oil as possible. This morning I tried starting the car but it`s not revving, no matter how much I press the accelerator pedal and it`s also smoking. Could I have knocked something inside the inlet manifold or what? I disconnected the battery and fitted it back again and the car was now cutting out each time I tried to press the accelerator pedal. What could be going on here?

Submitted: 06/12/2013 10:17:25 | ID: 58846

Dirk Labuschagne, South Africa

Renault Clio 2001

My Renault Clio doesn’t want to start and there is no spark. What can it be?

Submitted: 06/12/2013 09:49:56 | ID: 63746

John Price, Lancashire

Renault Clio 2003

I have a Renault Clio. Why, when I start the engine, does the engine related fuse box make a crackling sound for about 3 minutes and then it is allright? This box is located against the n/s wing near the battery. (1.6 petrol)

Submitted: 06/12/2013 09:02:16 | ID: 56827

Iona Mcauley, Ross and Cromarty Shires

Renault Clio 2002

I put a secondhand cat on my Renault Clio. Now it`s running roughly, black smoke`s coming out of the exhaust and it won`t take throttle, plus the engine management light is on. What should I do?

Submitted: 03/12/2013 14:40:52 | ID: 58757

Chris Halewood, Lancashire

Renault Clio 2006

When I park and lock my Renault Clio, after a while the headlights come on and the engine cooling fan comes on and if I don’t disconnect the battery of a night the battery will be flat. Has anyone had this problem? (initiale)

Submitted: 28/11/2013 10:40:37 | ID: 58710

Gordon Harvey Stephenson, England

Renault Clio 2002

I have a 2002 Renault Clio 1.2 16 valve dynamique with 30,000 miles. When slowing down at roundabouts if I slip into neutral gear there is a revolving noise which slows down as the car is slowing down. This also happens when moving through neutral when changing gear. This problem only occurs when the car has warmed up and the noise does not occur when the car is cold. The car has passed it`s MOT and apart from this problem the car is running perfectly. While slowing down at lights or roundabouts and slipping into neutral gear could this damage the car?

Sounds like a noisy thrust bearing to me, that.s if it is mainly when you dip your clutch. Paul from England

Submitted: 28/11/2013 10:35:51 | ID: 58688

Jose Goncalves, Sussex

Renault Clio 2001

My Renault Clio keeps cutting out every time it is idling or comes to a give-way/traffic lights etc. Any ideas?

Submitted: 26/11/2013 16:14:38 | ID: 58629

Vin Patel, England

Renault Clio 2006

It takes six / seven ignition to start my Renault Clio. Could it be the fuel injectors? If it is an expensive job can you guide me how to solve it and save money?

Submitted: 26/11/2013 14:37:59 | ID: 58662