PEUGEOT BOXER questions and answers: Page 3

PEUGEOT Boxer

Ask and answer questions on a variety of PEUGEOT BOXER models. Help and advice on everything PEUGEOT BOXER. Feel free to ask and answer as many PEUGEOT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest PEUGEOT BOXER questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Simon Sanderson, England

Peugeot Boxer 2000

I have a 2000 1.9d Peugeot Boxer, non turbo. Does anyone know if the Partner van from the same year uses the same gearbox?

Submitted: 29/10/2013 15:59:36 | ID: 56971

Shane Greaves, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot Boxer 2004

I recently fixed an oil leak on my Peugeot Boxer motorhome. Whilst doing this I had to remove the starter motor. I fixed the leak and refitted the starter motor but when I recorded it the motorhome wouldn’t start. I found that the main cable in the motorhome had become loose so I tightened it back up and it started fine. Since then I have noticed that my central locking doesn’t work and neither do my electric windows. Are these two problems linked and does anyone have a solution? Many thanks in advance. N.B. I’ve already checked every fuse and found nothing. (Motorhome)

Submitted: 29/10/2013 15:03:47 | ID: 56944

Ken Beck, Lancashire

Peugeot Boxer 2011

What is the location of the fusebox on the passenger side of my Peugeot Boxer`s dashboard?

If it’s anything like the 2005 boxer it’s just below and to the left of the glove box. The same access as the one by the drivers door. Rick from Hampshire

Submitted: 29/10/2013 12:59:58 | ID: 56913

David Evans, Somerset

Peugeot Boxer 2006

My Peugeot Boxer has done 25K and this is it`s second alternator. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Submitted: 24/10/2013 15:45:52 | ID: 56466

Richard Thomson, England

Peugeot Boxer 2003

How do you remove the top half of the plastic cam cover next to the rocker cover on my Peugeot Boxer? I suspect a leak and.have removed the two bolts and would prefer not to break it. Thanks in advance. It’s a petrol 2.2 symphony campervan.

Submitted: 22/10/2013 11:48:36 | ID: 56544

Todwell Gobvu, South Africa

Peugeot Boxer 2012

I have a Peugeot Boxer which has been converted to a staff bus. The problem is the bus has had front brake pads changed at 16,000km / 25,000km / and now needs changing at 45,000km. Is this normal and if not what might the cause be?

Submitted: 10/10/2013 12:52:47 | ID: 56024

Vincent Caira, Yorkshire

Peugeot Boxer 2000

I have a Peugeot Boxer 1.9 Petrol 2000. Driving from a standing start the engine has a tendency to misfire which makes it hesitate for around 30 seconds or so. It will then go back to normal driving, but I am aware of a slight hesitation which I can hear now and again with a slight loss of power. Hope all this makes sense. Does anyone know why it`s doing this?

Submitted: 07/10/2013 14:20:04 | ID: 55892

Ade Sho, England

Peugeot Boxer 2004

I am based in Wandsworth, south London. Where can I find a service wash for a Peugeot Boxer van with tarpaulin back covers? Where can I find a garage to fit new fastenings or belt clips to hold the tarpaulin onto the van base as the belts on the van have mostly cut up and are not holding down the tarpaulin? Thanks. (tarpaulin back)

Submitted: 04/10/2013 15:35:38 | ID: 55048

John Bristo, England

Peugeot Boxer 1999

My Peugeot Boxer 1.9 engine runs fine and has done 47,000 miles. I had not envisiged towing when I purchased it this year but would like to tow my trike. The 1.9 engine would be a bit stressed to do this job. Is it possible to fit a larger engine say a 2.5 and would this involve major modifications to fit it or other alternative engines? How practical is this idea as otherwise this is a great little motorhome which I am very happy with? (Motorhome Autocruise Starfire)

Submitted: 04/10/2013 14:57:47 | ID: 54852

Yvette Kenyon, England

Peugeot Boxer 1998

Where can I find my 1998 Peugeot Boxer`s engine number and decode to find out what year the engine was manufactured?

Submitted: 26/09/2013 11:24:20 | ID: 54609

Peter Kinge, Hampshire

Peugeot Boxer 1995

l have just bought a 95 Peugeot Boxer and on the long drive home l found the idle very erratic when static. Has anyone else had the same and what should l do?

I had this problem with my Peugeot Boxer autotrail Cheyenne motorhome. I sent the ecu off, and the injectors tested along with a complete service and sent it to a good garage was a little expensive but they found that one of the pipes had a leak allowing too much oxygen, I also found on a site to find out where the leak is spray lighter gas on each pipe and if engine revs high there’s your leak. Hope this helps Sam Lane from England

Submitted: 26/09/2013 11:15:58 | ID: 53624

David Anderson, England

Peugeot Boxer 2001

Hi, can anyone help with my Peugeot Boxer 2.8 Hdi? My fuel injector light came on while driving so I switched the engine off, but since then it hasn`t started since. My Peugeot dealer can`t fix it. I replaced the fuel filter, all injectors have been checked, a new transponder and aerial have been fitted and both sensors have been changed. Peugeot say it doesn`t have a key code and diesel is getting to the fuel pump. I sprayed some easy start into the air intake and it started but only for seconds. If power is put to each jet it will fire that jet. Peugeot say it is a Fiat engine 2.8.Hdi. Any suggestions please?

Submitted: 26/09/2013 09:42:51 | ID: 54906

Terry Jenner, Lincolnshire

Peugeot Boxer 2004

Hello, I have a Peugeot Boxer motorhome 2004 2.0 hdi. The speedo has started to move backwards and forwards and sometimes stops. Is the speedo run by cable or electronic and is it a job I can do myself or will I have to take it to a garage? Thank you. (2.0 HDI)

Submitted: 24/09/2013 14:39:30 | ID: 54860

Jill Hall, England

Peugeot Boxer 2010

Our Peugeot Boxer Neuvo motorhome has developed a water ingress at the drivers side. Does anyone know where this rain water may be coming in please? We have recently had a new windscreen fitted but don’t think this is the problem...

Submitted: 17/09/2013 16:12:24 | ID: 54499

Geoff Hand, Lincolnshire

Peugeot Boxer 2005

Hi, the fuel gauge stuck on just below half full, I had a sender unit/pump fitted and the gauge is still not working, do I need a new instrument cluster?

Submitted: 17/09/2013 15:52:05 | ID: 54562

John Goring, Somerset

Peugeot Boxer 1999

Hi there. Can anyone help me in finding out how I can sort out a speedo cable, screw in type, for my Peugeot Boxer? I think I have located one but it is for a Peugeot Boxer J5. If you need any more details please contact me. Thank you in advance. (camper van)

Submitted: 12/09/2013 09:53:46 | ID: 54270

Gerry O`Brien, Ireland

Peugeot Boxer 2003

Since 2009 I have had a problem with my Peugeot Boxer. It has been into the main dealers, you name it, but no-one seems able to help. This fault has got gradually worse as time has gone on. When accelerating ever so slightly "harshly" the engine management light comes on and the engine cuts out. If I then turn it off fully, take the key out, wait 10 seconds and turn it back on it resets itself and starts perfectly and the light goes out. The van can also cut out when coming down through the gears. I learnt how to drive it by coaxing the speed up and managed to drive many hundreds of miles this way. As I said it`s now getting worse and really is a pain as it could cut out every few yards. I have had mechanics bypass the tank which didn’t work, alll filters etc changed with no difference. I had a part replaced on the fuel line (sensor) but it did absolutely nothing. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? Obviously it has to be something computerised / electrical as it completely resets itself once the key is taken out etc? In 2009 I had the engine completely rebuilt following the timing belt going. I`m based in Ireland and just wonder if anyone knows someone who can assist at all? Can anyone help please? (330 2.2 HDI)

I have the same problem with my diesel Boxer 2.2 hdi. The Peugeot garage in Aldershot have just quoted me £5,054 for all the parts to replace the entire fuel filtration system including fuel injectors, high pressure fuel pump and a new tank. They reckon it is 13 hours work. As the fuel is getting to the engine for hours at a time and the problem only occurs when under rapid acceleration at speeds of over 40mph, I can’t see how the van would run at all if the fuel filtration system is as bad as they think. If anyone has any good ideas of what else I could to do to fix it please let me know. Grahame Stoner from Surrey

I had exactly the same symptoms. The answer was 1 injector with an internal crack Under heavy load, more diesel leaks back to the tank, which trips out the ECU. My local Bosch specialist stripped and rebuilt the injectors replaceing the cracked one all for £460. The cheapest option might be to get a new injector and try it in each cylinder. Roger Styan from Worcestershire

Submitted: 10/09/2013 15:16:20 | ID: 54245

Val Brice, Essex

Peugeot Boxer 2008

I need to replace the driver`s door lock (with key) on my Peugeot Boxer but it seems I have to buy a full set of door locks, driver, passenger and rear door. Also can I buy a part called Fiat Ducato or Citroen Relay? Do these parts also fit a Peugeot Boxer?

Submitted: 06/09/2013 10:49:41 | ID: 54026

Gilbert McHarg, Wigtownshire

Peugeot Boxer 1998

My Peugeot Boxer`s engine won’t idle when I connect the intake pipe to the manifold. I have been told it could be the sensor. Could anyone please advise any help or somewhere I can get an engine manual? Thanks.

Submitted: 05/09/2013 15:26:33 | ID: 54001

Brian Holden, England

Peugeot Boxer

Hi. The speedo on my Peugeot Boxer is not working, but my problem is when I fuel it up it`s guesswork. If I put £30 fuel in everything is okay but then after a couple of minutes the fuel starts running out from underneath. Can anyone tell me what I should do about this? Cheers. (starfire campervan)

The speedo on my Peugeot Boxer is not working Anonymous from

I recently bought a 2002 autosleeper 2.8 hdi. Before I took it on its first run out I filled it up with 60 litres. It ran fine and everything seemed OK. After it had been parked on some hardstanding for about an hour I noticed a large pool of diesel underneath, I looked underneath and saw diesel dripping down but I could not tell where it was coming from. I took it back to the dealer who found that the metal seam around the centre of the tank had split. He tried numerous Peugot dealers for a new tank but none had one in stock he was told there would be a shipment into the UK in about 3 months time and the retail cost was £900. Luckily for me he was able to find a pattern tank for £400. What happens is if you fill up with just less than half a tank no leak is apparent. Hope this is of some use John from Leicestershire

Submitted: 03/09/2013 08:48:16 | ID: 53921

Teresa Saurin, Chile

Peugeot Boxer 1998

Hi, my Peugeot Boxer has trouble with the electrics. The ventilators are working but after a few seconds operating they stop. The water in the tank boils and the fuse burns totally. This happens with fuse numbers 5, 7,5, 25 and 30. The repairman tells me that he needs the engine manual for the vehicle. Can anyone send me the manual or a link to download this please?

Submitted: 02/09/2013 11:45:08 | ID: 64085

Charles O`Connor, Northern Ireland

Peugeot Boxer 2002

My 2002 Peugeot Boxer 2.8 hdi will start on a 2 metre tow but will not start on the key at any time. I have checked all of the usual things but cannot find the problem. I had it machine checked at a small garage which cost £20 and was told there was a pressure leak at 1 injector. I have been told this should not prevent it from starting. Has anyone out there encountered this problem and if so I would be obliged if you could advise me how you solved it please?

Is your starter slow? Just had same problem, fixed by running some new earth straps from chassie to engine. Worth a try. -Ivor Fairhurst from Lancashire

Put a new starter on it even if you think the old one is ok as it takes oniy a small decrease in crankiung rpm to cause non start. Tom Clark from England

Submitted: 30/08/2013 10:00:57 | ID: 53831

Sandra King, Wiltshire

Peugeot Boxer 2005

We have an Autocruise Starlet 2 motorhome fitted on a Peugeot Boxer 330 LX cab (2005 model) and would like to fit armrests to the left hand side for the passenger and right hand side for the driver. Can this be done and what armrests would we need to buy to match the existing ones?

Submitted: 29/08/2013 12:01:41 | ID: 85026

Robert Napier, England

Peugeot Boxer 1996

I recently replaced the gearbox of my Peugeot Boxer with one taken from a scrap "runner". When in fifth gear if I brake to come to a halt without disengaging gear, as soon as I start to brake it is impossible to disengage gear after halting. The only solution is to wait a considerable length of time or to start off again, still in fifth gear and revving the engine hard and slipping the clutch. Once moving, I can then get out of fifth gear. (I did also experience this as one of the problems in the gearbox that I removed). Does anybody have any advice as to the likely cause and possible cure please? (2.5 TD 5-speed manual)

Submitted: 29/08/2013 10:24:30 | ID: 53707

Linz Shaw, Yorkshire

Peugeot Boxer 2004

My Peugeot Boxer`s reversing sensor sometimes works as it should, but sometimes emits a continuous scream when I engage reverse gear - often after rain or a wash. I assume the three black ’buttons’ on the rear bumper are the sensors, so I have tried wiping them. However now the black surface of one of them has crumbled, exposing dull grey beneath. Could this be the cause of the problem? Is there a repair/remedy? Any suggestions or explanations would be very welcome. (Autosleeper)

Submitted: 23/08/2013 11:08:38 | ID: 53491

Jan Guyan, Aberdeenshire

Peugeot Boxer 2009

The handbrake on my Peugeot Boxer van has stuck on. It is making a squealing noise when backing up and there`s a burning smell. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how can it be fixed please?

Submitted: 01/08/2013 10:50:38 | ID: 89067

Gudail Hayre, England

Peugeot Boxer 2004

I have a Peugeot Boxer 350LX lwd hdi 2004 model. There is a lack of power from the engine when driving and it cuts out sometimes when going uphill. Then it will not start and I have to leave it for 3 minutes before the engine starts again. Has anyone had a similar problem and what could be causing the fault? Does anyone know where I can download a workshop manual or some diagrams of the fuel system please?

Try the fuel filter in case it’s blocked, or it could just be a blocked fuel tank breather, as for either once it’s been running for a while it is starved of fuel. I have also seen debris in the tank block and the fuel line/pick up filter, but it doesn’t sound like that to me. Unfortunately it could be a number of other things, but if it starts again fine after a short wait then you can rule out an air leak into the fuel system. It’s unlikely to be an electrical fault caused by heat as it would need more than a few minutes to cool down. So on balance it sounds like a fuel problem. You have probably already thought of these, but I hope this helps. Good luck. William from Kent.

Thanks for the help. Where are the filters location and can I get a layout diagram for the fuel system? Gurdial Hayre from England.

I have had the exact same problem on my van and found it’s the filter located in the fuel tank itself. It can be reached via the inspection hatch in the foot well of the cab near the passenger seats. I took it out, gave it a clean and it’s been running like a dream since. A regular dose of tank cleaner should keep the tank sediment at bay. Jamie Ash from England

Submitted: 29/07/2013 10:12:26 | ID: 53114

Robert Jones, England

Peugeot Boxer 2003

The heater on my Peugeot Boxer continues to pump out hot air. I had the dash out and repaired the cable so the lever rotates but still hot air comes out. Will be good in France this year! Any ideas please? (lwb)

Submitted: 18/06/2013 14:22:57 | ID: 68150

Scott Stevens, England

Peugeot Boxer 1996

Hi. My Boxer van would not run as been sitting there for some time, no fuel from the pump to injectors. Changed pump, cam belt and re-timed it back up fuel lines are clear also new fuel filter all clean. The problem is it starts up on the buttom (nice and clean) so timing OK but only runs for 30 seconds and then dies. Turn key, fires up and runs for 30 seconds etc. It’s like no fuel but the pre pump on the bulkhead is full of fuel, checked fuel cut off, 12V, OK, any ideas? (2.5dt)

Submitted: 29/05/2013 10:00:52 | ID: 55584

Michael Garstang, England

Peugeot Boxer 2011

Hi, the USB plug which is located in the glove box of my Peugeot Boxer has never worked. Is there an easy way for me to check the connection without taking the whole dashboard out?

Submitted: 09/05/2013 08:55:02 | ID: 59182

Frank Whitmore, Warwickshire

Peugeot Boxer 2007

I wonder if anybody can help me? I have got condensation in my Peugeot Boxer`s front headlights. I believe it`s an MOT failure. Is there any way to remedy this without replacing the headlights? Also how easy is it to replace them if I need to? Thanks. (motorhome)

Take off the back cover for a few days it will dry out, the one you use when you change a blown bulb.- Terry L from Surrey

Submitted: 07/05/2013 10:17:18 | ID: 58311

Pete Farley, Bedfordshire

Peugeot Boxer 1999

Over the winter it seems the scuttle drain filled the gearbox in my Peugeot Boxer with water. It (allegedly) froze, expanded and split the gearbox casing. Anyway therre was gearbox oil all over the floor. It might be just a broken casing, but will need a lift (pick up/towtruck) to somewhere they can look at it and once there will they say no problem? I expected hundreds of thousands of miles from a commercial Peugeot vehicle. It seems like, as a motorhome, 32k miles is pretty good going and scrapping it is not unreasonable. Is this the way it is? Thoughts would be much appreciated. I really thought a motorhome based on such a vehicle would last "forever". Any comments please? (Motorhome - Autosleeper)

That’s really unfortunate re the freezing bit, but I have a 1988 ’campavan’ 2.5l and it’s now done 84k miles, I have had it a year and expect it to do at least another 50k. (it’ll probably pack up tomorrow now!) So 32k is far to early to scrap, and is most unreasonable. I added 10k last year. ’Autosleepers’ are much better known than my ’Campa’ and would probably retain their value because of that. I expect mine to last ’forever’! Would have thought you could probably find a second hand g/box and see if there is a mobile mechanic near you. We do have them down here! Nick Wilder from Cornwall

Submitted: 02/05/2013 15:36:01 | ID: 54723

Richard Holden, Lancashire

Peugeot Boxer 2005

My Peugeot Boxer`s clutch pedal sticks after about 40 miles of driving. It tends to squeak first and then as the pedal is pushed to the floor it doesn’t release. Could it be the release spring or is it something else?

Mine does exactly the same thing. It happens when the plastic !!!! pedal box gets warm. I have tested this by using a blow heater behind the pedal and this reproduces the clutch pedal squeak and sticking. I have almost cured this by spraying white PTFE grease up the pedal onto the pivot and also onto the mechanism behind the pedal and the clutch master cylinder, which I believe is meant to help to return the pedal to the up position. This has very nearly cured the problem and the pedal has not again stuck at the bottom although it does sometimes stick in the last couple of centimeters and I always check that it’s fully released with my toe!! David Root from Yorkshire

Submitted: 30/04/2013 14:52:44 | ID: 53797

Roger Knox, Shropshire

Peugeot Boxer 1998

Our Peugeot Boxer`s key code light is on and the engine will not start. We do not want to replace the diesel pump on so old a van but we need to move it though. Is there any way of bypassing the immobiliser? (350 LWB)

The immobiliser has gone into default mode. Find a garage who can rectify it with an electronic fault finder which can also rectify the problem. Just had my Boxer key problem sorted this way Rob from Suffolk

We had this issue in France - assumed that it was the horror of an immobilser code key issue. Starter motor was turning over but not firing. However! Local mechanic found that it was a slightly faulty connector that entered the fuel pump (I belive a loine from the ECU into fuel pump) and we managed to get the code light to go out by sticking a screw driver in and wiggling at this juncture it appears to be an intermittent fault and I am told from Renfrewshire

I had the same problem last year with my 1999 Boxer. All I did was change evert fuse in the fuse box inside glove compartment(inside cab) had no probs since. Peter McNamara from Yorkshire

Submitted: 30/04/2013 14:40:54 | ID: 85022

Vic Adams, Isle of Anglesey

Peugeot Boxer 2007

Help! I have broken the catch on the centre glovebox of my Peugeot Boxer. I am trying to source a replacement at a reasonable price. It doesn’t matter if it’s got a lock barrel included or if it’s just an open/close version (usually found on the passenger side glove box). Apparently the Citroen Relay and Fiat Ducato versions are identical. Any suggestions please? (M/home)

Submitted: 26/04/2013 08:54:41 | ID: 93367

Gary Stephan, England

Peugeot Boxer 2005

I cannot reset the service counter to zero on my Peugeot Boxer as there are no numbers on the display, hence I cannot get rid of the spanner service display and it`s only done 2,000 miles since I serviced it. Can anyone help me with this please? (2.0 hdi)

Submitted: 22/04/2013 09:50:06 | ID: 93240

Brriann Wood, Oxfordshire

Peugeot Boxer 2010

I started my Peugeot Boxer motorhome for the first time in four weeks and the engine management system warning light stays on. I have not driven it for three months but started it up every month and ran it for 30 minutes to circulate fluids etc. Any ideas? (motorhome)

Hi, this happened to me as well. I hadn’t started our Motorhome in a while and the Engine Management Light stayed on. Re-started engine and light still stayed on. Tried a third time and all ok. Since then I have taken it on a run (we had to get it MOT’d) and no problems Rob Hedges from England

Submitted: 02/04/2013 12:46:17 | ID: 88978

Brian Swainston, Durham

Peugeot Boxer 2004

We are looking for engine output/bhp figures for this Peugeot Boxer. Nothing is listed on our reg’document. We are getting ’confused’ when seeking parts as there seems to be a wide range/variants. The engine number is 22203826229. Can anyone help? Thanks. (330 LX mwb 2800 hdi)

Any Peugeot dealer should tell you what info you need, this is how they can supply spare parts. i.e. engine number/ registration number/ vin number Doggo from Norfolk

Submitted: 02/04/2013 11:38:51 | ID: 88976

Sam Steenkamp, South Africa

Peugeot Boxer 2002

My Peugeot Boxer`s roof brakelight does not work and I can’t find what`s causing the problem. Also the inside roof light at the back of the van does not work and I don`t know why. Can anyone help me please?

Submitted: 14/03/2013 14:12:25 | ID: 91686

William Watson, West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Peugeot Boxer 1998

Hi, I am thinking about buying a Peugeot Boxer 320 mwb. It`s a 1998 model with 50,000 on the clock and the asking price is £8000. Firstly are these motorhomes any good and secondly do you think the dealer is asking too much? It has had 7 owners which makes me think the way I do. Cheers. (Motorhome)

Do not under any circumstances buy a Peugeot Boxer van. Look at the forum... they are shiitte. I know, I have one. You will always be in your wallet. The French can’t make a good apple never mind a vehicle Tel Downes from Staffordshire

Submitted: 01/03/2013 10:19:22 | ID: 90410