PEUGEOT 407 SW questions and answers

PEUGEOT 407 SW

Ask and answer questions on a variety of PEUGEOT 407 SW models. Help and advice on everything PEUGEOT 407 SW. Feel free to ask and answer as many PEUGEOT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest PEUGEOT 407 SW questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Dennis Mitchell, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2007

Could anybody please tell me the correct ref for power steering fluid for Peugeot 407 SW sport 2.2 ltr? Regards.

Submitted: 07/04/2014 11:09:53 | ID: 93992

Martin Pallister, Lincolnshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2007

I`ve just had the temp/radio LCD display unit changed on my Peugeot 407 SW at main dealer (£265!) and now I have lost the Bluetooth connection. It is the RC4 unit and I can`t find anything on the menu relating to Bluetooth. Any ideas? (2.0 hdi)

Submitted: 03/04/2014 11:35:17 | ID: 93845

Leigh Davis, Cheshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

Hi there. I have a Peugeot 407 SW estate diesel. It continuously has warning lights beeping on it, bulbs faulty, esp light, tells me I have a puncture when I don’t etc etc. Can anyone help or tell me how to disconnect these warnings? Lady driver so I haven’t a clue! Many thanks.

Submitted: 03/04/2014 10:02:20 | ID: 93830

Thomas Parkinson, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2007

I’m having trouble with my Peugeot 407 SW`s charging system so I’m having to disconnect the battery overnight, but now all of the doors and fuel lid will not open. How do I reset or reactivate the central locking system?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 15:13:53 | ID: 93702

Kevin Phillips, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

I have a Peugeot 407 SW diesel engine 2005. The starter was changed about 6 months ago, it had just worn out, but I had no trouble whatsoever with start up. However on three occasions I have driven the car and parked up for a few minutes, then when I try to start up again there was a click click, as if the battery is flat, but I know the battery is fine. After abut 15 minutes or so the car fires up with ease. It`s almost as if the coil has overheated and you have to wait until it cools off. However I understand these cars do not have coils, so could it be the case there is a start up relay at fault if there is one? If it`s the start it would just pack up and not go off and on? Please help.

Submitted: 21/03/2014 10:03:04 | ID: 63118

Brian Stones, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

My Peugeot 407 SW`s heater has stopped working and the temperature gauge rises more than usual. Any ideas? (diesel)

Most likely this is caused by thermostate (cooling water temperature regulator) failure Arne from Norway

Submitted: 20/03/2014 11:25:05 | ID: 63012

Douglas Cunningham, Renfrewshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2009

Can anyone tell me where the Earth bond lead for the offside headlight is on this Peugeot 407 SW? I am experiencing a 10v voltage drop between the nearside and the faulty offside. The dipped beam headlight on the nearside doesn’t work although the side and main beam lights do.

Submitted: 20/03/2014 11:22:00 | ID: 62995

Keith Evans, Northern Ireland

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

My Peugeot 407 SW has a bad intermittent misfire, spluttering and running rough when starting from cold, which improves as the day goes on, but there is no engine light. I have hooked up a code scanner, but there are no codes, not even one for misfire? I have an intermittent ESP light but I fail to see how this might cause a misfire, it may be that the misfire is causing this light to come on even. I’ve changed the spark plugs, which sorted the problem for one day but now it’s back. I don’t want to get into replacing injectors, coil etc. unnecessarily. It must be something relatively simple if there are no codes thrown up. Does anybody know why there isn’t even a misfire code or has had a similar problem? Thanks for listening. (1.8 Petrol)

This might be due to a mistuned automatic choke Arne from Norway

Submitted: 18/03/2014 09:02:35 | ID: 62957

Douglas Cunningham, Renfrewshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2009

Does anybody know where the front offside headlight earth bond is located on my Peugeot 407 SW? I am experiencing a 10 volt voltage drop on this side. Thanks. (Diesel)

Submitted: 17/03/2014 12:29:53 | ID: 62901

Paul Peacock, Monmouthshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2008

My Peugeot 407 SW`s engine management light comes on often. It`s nearly always in the same area of the UK, ie same spot. The car may or may not go into limp mode. It has been on a number of scanners, main dealer and other. Though I am told they clear random entries, nothing is replaced. It normally resets itself within a short time, but if it does not, I can park it in a particular place, switch the engine off and on, it will always then reset and the light goes out. What could be causing this please? (Estate)

Submitted: 07/03/2014 09:38:11 | ID: 62644

Peter Sherlock, Wiltshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

My Peugeot 407 SW`s outside air temperature is reading 10 degrees too low and this affects the accuracy of the aircon. If I hold my finger firmly on the wing mirror sensor the reading alters from my body heat. Is there a reset procedure that I can do myself? This reading and the time reading are flashing all of the time and will not reset. I would appreciate an answer as I find it rather frustrating. Thank you.

Submitted: 04/03/2014 09:45:39 | ID: 62513

Jean Edwards, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2008

My Peugeot 407 SW cpu kept shutting down saying it is turning off the communication system to prevent the unit from overheating and then shutting the system down. Has anyone else experienced this problem? How can I rectify it?

Submitted: 27/02/2014 09:12:31 | ID: 62378

Colin James, Buckinghamshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

Recently I had a flat battery which set my Peugeot 407 SW`s alarm off. I disconnected the battery but the alarm still screamed at me. Can someone tell me where the master cut off is located? Thanks.

Submitted: 25/02/2014 15:54:50 | ID: 62366

Charles Colefax, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

My Peugeot 407 SW`s radio goes okay for 30 minutes, then it starts to buzz and I cannot turn the radio off, even if I turn the engine off, until it goes into shut down mode. Has anyone had this happen to them and if so what was it?

Submitted: 25/02/2014 15:52:53 | ID: 62350

Alan Risker, Worcestershire

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

My Peugeot 407 SWs warning display shows ABS and ESP but the car drives as normal, even under heavy braking. Should I notice a difference or maybe could it be a computer glitch?

I have had this problem quite a few times. Usually, there is nothing wrong with the ABS / ESP system except for a faulty sensor on one of the wheels. Once the sensor is replaced, the warning lights go out. My recent problem cost around £100 including the sensor. The garage connected their computer, identified which sensor had failed and replaced it for me. Ray Mitchell from England

Try changing the break light switch under the passanger side footwell. A very quick (cheap) fix and it sorted out my car. Stefan Trzoska from Leicestershire

Submitted: 14/02/2014 11:01:29 | ID: 68204

George Barnes, Norfolk

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

My Peugeot 407 SW has a water in diesel alarm appearing fairly often now, usually on second start from cold, not the first start. I have had the fuel filter replaced but this alarm still shows. On some trips the engine appears to stagger for a second or so then runs normally. On the last occasion the engine actually cut out at about 40mph and the auto box faulty alarm came on! I switched off, switched on and restarted and the car ran fine. I only use premium fuel (not supermarket) and the problem never occurs when the engine is warm. I have had this car nearly six and a half years now with very few problems and it`s a cracker. It`s done 58k now so not much work and I would appreciate any help to solve this dilemma? Many thanks. (2.0 litre HDI Auto)

Submitted: 11/02/2014 14:38:18 | ID: 62033

Peter Root, Spain

Peugeot 407 SW 2007

My Peugeot 407 SW`s display screen for the radio etc degrades after 15 minutes and info is unreadable. Is this a common fault?

Submitted: 11/02/2014 09:35:50 | ID: 93348

David Giles, Surrey

Peugeot 407 SW 2007

I have a Peugeot 407 SW diesel which in between gears sometimes will rev high then clunk into the next gear. My dealer said it’s either the gearbox or hydraulic block but could not say which. It seems some other people have had this problem. Can anyone suggest which is more likely, as the hydraulic block is cheaper than the gearbox and I`’d rather go down that route first? Thanks for any replies. (diesel)

Submitted: 28/01/2014 11:46:57 | ID: 61418

Paul, Lincolnshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2008

I recently bought a Peugeot 407 SW with only 32k on the clock. It has been back to the dealer twice already for the following problems. I will be driving along and without warning the depollution light pops up, followed by ESP faulty and then the engine cuts out. This has happened in town, in the country and there is no real pattern to it. It’s been plugged into a laptop and there are no fault codes in the ECU. Has anyone else experienced this out there?

I have a diesel 407 sw that did the same thing and it was the diesel particulate filter that would not regenerate as it was badly clogged from town driving.I had to eventually have the dpf changed, although my 2008 car has done 94,000. Try a long run at high revs to see if the dpf will clear or put in your fuel diesel particulate filter cleaner that makes the dpf regenerate at a lower temperature. It maybe also the dpf fluid has all gone out the tank underneath the car in front of the driver’s side rear wheel underside of the car. Hope this helps. Simon Oakley from Staffordshire

Submitted: 14/01/2014 11:05:05 | ID: 60728

Mick Duffy, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2007

The back window on my 07 Peugeot 407 SW station wagon keeps popping open for no reason. I have to keep shutting the window every time the car is opened! Could it be disconnected?

Had same problem. I found with the back window open was to turn the wiper the opposite way leave it there and close. Problem solved. When you turn wipers on it clicks back into its proper position. Don’t know why it works. but it seemed to solve it. Hope this helps. Adi Smith from England

Had the same problem every time I hit a pothole and assumed fault was with rear window/tailgate. I needed remote key repairing due to falling apart and sent away for complete overhaul, when I got key back did not have any more issues with rear window opening. Chris Evans from Warwickshire

Submitted: 09/01/2014 09:45:48 | ID: 60439

Stuart Thomas, Carmarthenshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2009

Hi, can anyone tell me how to solve my problem with my Peugeot 407 SW? The driver`s side is not opening properly sometimes from the inside only. All other doors are fine and all will open from the outside. Please help?

Submitted: 31/12/2013 11:54:24 | ID: 59815

Stuart Thomas, Carmarthenshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2009

My Peugeot 407 SW`s driver side door will not open from the inside at times, but opens from the outside. I`ve tried using the key. Can anybody please help?

Submitted: 30/12/2013 14:15:58 | ID: 59753

Steve Mcdowell, County Londonderry

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

What could be wrong with my Peugeot 407 SW? I heard something snap below but I can’t see anything. When I drive the car it still rattles and jingles below?

Submitted: 16/12/2013 12:39:01 | ID: 59191

Brian Stones, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

I have a Peugeot 407 SW. How do you reset the ecu unit after filling particulate filter with fluid? The computer still shows fluid is low. (estate diesel)

I have the same issue and I was told by a few mechanic friends, as a cabdriver I know a few, that only the dealer can reset it because of the software. It will cost about £50 pounds for a 5 min job. I was advised to leave it till when next service or MoT is due as some garages might have the software and do it during the mot/full service process without charging any extras, as they have to hand it over with all fault codes cleared. Petros from England

Submitted: 03/12/2013 16:23:48 | ID: 58767

Valerio Luongo, Norfolk

Peugeot 407 SW 2004

Why does my Peugeot 407 SW 6 have no glow plug switch on my dashboard light configuration when I turn the ignition on? I thought all diesels had this light to let you know that when the light went out you could start the car?

Because on these newer models there is no need for it. In theory you can drive it straight away cold, personally I still run the engine for a couple of minutes before driving off especially when it drops below 10C. Petros from England

Some 407 engines do not have glow plugs so do not have dashbord lights. Maybe yours is the latter will i am shores from Yorkshire

Submitted: 14/11/2013 15:20:51 | ID: 57874

Doug Rodgers, Cornwall

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

My Peugeot 407 SW keeps jumping in and out of sport mode. What should I do?

Take it to a garage,it shouldnt do that, if you’re still under warranty go to the dealer first. Petros from England

Submitted: 12/11/2013 15:48:22 | ID: 90981

Brian Stones, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

Hi. I have a problem with my Peugeot 407 SW`s fuel flap. The computer shows it`s unlocked when I drive off bringing up a red warning triangle, but the lock is working okay. Any ideas? (estate diesel)

Check the wiring switch that goes to the lock on a test meter and see if thats working Grant Webb from Kent

Submitted: 08/11/2013 15:04:00 | ID: 57530

Colin Davies, Kent

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

The odometer display on my Peugeot 407 SW fades shortly after setting out on a journey. Has anyone had a similar problem and if so, could they give me a clue as to how this problem can be resolved, as my local dealer doesn’t seem to know?

Possibly the related fuse does not have much life left in it. Petros from England

Submitted: 05/11/2013 11:19:01 | ID: 57370

Rob Gage, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

I have an intermittent issue with the remote unlocking not working on my Peugeot 407 SW. Most of the time it`s fine, but usually when I am in a rush the car does not respond to either of the keys. The previous owners have obviously never used the key in the door as the barrel is ceased so I can`t get in. I have seen several posts on forums about resetting the system by playing with the lights when the battery has been reconnected etc, but this appears to be a short term fix. Can anyone help me with either a way to fix this, or disable the automatic locking when the car is left alone as it is secure overnight anyway? Cheers. (SE)

Submitted: 31/10/2013 15:36:48 | ID: 57084

Michael Broomfield, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2009

I have a Peugeot 407 SW 09 reg and I want to play my ipod through the radio. Can anybody tell me what`s needed? Can something be connected to the rear of radio etc?

Hi, can’t you use the auxillary in the glove box? Rob Caughey from Hampshire

Submitted: 31/10/2013 14:34:57 | ID: 57047

Ben Steel, Essex

Peugeot 407 SW 2008

My Peugeot 407 SW got broken into last night. I came to it hazard lights on and unlocked. Now it won’t start or lock itself and the boot won’t open, even off the key. I think it`s an anti theft system. Please help?

Submitted: 22/10/2013 15:07:54 | ID: 56621

Shaun Maycock, Ireland

Peugeot 407 SW 2007

My Peugeot 407 SW`s battery was dead for about 2 weeks. It has since been recharged. The engine is starting no problem and the doors are locking manually but not with my remote key fob. I have put a new battery in the key fob. A message has appeared on the dash board electronic anti theft faulty. Please can anyone help me reprogramme the key fob? Thanks.

I think it needs a reset and not many independent garages have the right software, your best and most expensive bet would be the dealers. Petros from England

Submitted: 22/10/2013 12:47:29 | ID: 56573

Martin Hamill, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

I have a Peugeot 407 SW and on changing n/s rear and o/s front abs sensors on advice my warning lights are still on. What should I do?

Check brake light switch, they cause the same problem Grant Webb from Kent

Submitted: 18/10/2013 16:17:35 | ID: 54377

Wayne Collett, Monmouthshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2007

Hi. I filled my Peugeot 407 SW`s power steering with the wrong oil and drove two hundred miles with no problems. I started the car this morning and there`s no steering with the display panel saying power steering fault. After draining the pump and rack and replacing with the correct oil it`s still reading the same on the panel? What do I need to do? (estate)

If it drives fine now and the actual steering is working as it should than is just a case of clearing the fault code. Anyone with a diagnostic would do it in minutes for a tenner. If the steering is malfunctioning it’s a garage job; some clear the fault codes by unplugging the battery for an hour or so, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Petros from England

Submitted: 07/10/2013 16:07:09 | ID: 55914

Joe Harris, London

Peugeot 407 SW 2007

Hi, I have a Peugeot 407 SW auto and when I accelerate it is slow to pick up and the revs are too high. Can anyone help me out on this matter?

Hello, same problem here. Service said EGR, so I changed it, but no result. They then said it was the throttle pedal ’something’ at a cost of £450. Saving some money for that. K from Estonia

The throttle body will need a clean, they fill up with grease and cause these problems Grant Webb from Kent

Submitted: 01/10/2013 15:38:12 | ID: 55148

Amanda Davis, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

Hi, I have a Peugeot 407 SW and have two questions. How do I operate the heated wing mirrors, is there a button/switch for this? Secondly can I replace my Rd4 unit for a much better one, as I`m really missing being able to use my Iphone and music via USB as the rd4 unit in my car only has radio and CD player? I want something with built in Bluetooth to use my phone hands free and to be able to use an SD card and or UBS. My friend has the parrot mki9200 installed in theirs but you can’t control it via the rd4 unit, you have a seperate device to control the parrot. Can anyone give me any advice on these questions please?

The heated wing mirrors are operated when rear window demister is turned on. Paul from England

Submitted: 20/09/2013 10:01:41 | ID: 53104

Kevin Phillips, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

I have a Peugeot 407 SW and the braking bulb keeps coming up as a fault, the right hand turning signal keeps flashing up and some other fault keeps flashing to do with bulbs. I have checked and all lights are in perfect working order. The beeping is driving me up the wall. My mechanic tried to clear the codes and a few miles down the road the warning kept flashing up so I am at a loss. Can anyone help please?

I had the same problem few years ago, however at that time managed to find on the web the step-by step description how to solve, and it was a complete success. Having it done by the dealer is very expensive (£250 at least), however the DIY job that I did was a 100% safe and it was only few pounds. Actually the problem is caused by a short circuit from the car wiring harness (earth) to the rear light cluster. The wire that Peugeot used is very thin and possibly not up to the job. The earth pin on the plug seems to burn up causing a continuity problem to the cluster causing the car to have an intermittent connection to the cluster. This throws the faults as the car self diagnostics thinks the bulbs are blown. I have a complete PDF file with the description, however this site does not allow the attachment. Actually what you need to do is to remove the side panel inside the car boot by turning the plastic screws to the vertical position and pull the cover away. You will now see the light cluster, wiring harness with plug (into the light) and if you look down between the rear storage basket and rear panel, you will see the current earth wire attached to the back panel of the car (factory earth point). I kept my original earth point connected onto this point and just added a new Earth wire between the original wire and the car chassis. It worked. Barney from Surrey

I had the same problem plus with the added bonus of the esp/asr warning too. I replaced the brake light switch and have had no problems since. James Blackmore from England

Submitted: 19/09/2013 15:05:10 | ID: 63287

Carl Lucas, Finland

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

Hi. One of my Peugeot 407 SW`s parking sensors is cracked and in reverse gear my car beeps constantly which is annoying, but now it makes the same noise when in all gears. What could the problem be please? (2L)

Submitted: 17/09/2013 16:27:10 | ID: 54539

Steven Mimmack, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2004

I recently MOT`d my Peugeot 407 SW and the brakes are fine but the abs esp warning light keeps coming on. I don`t think there is any problem with the brakes. How can I get rid of this light or does it really indicate a problem? (diesel 2 litre estate)

Whenever ABS light comes on, there could be a mulfunction, ie d pump itself,wiring or sensors Keith Sithole from South Africa

Just had similar problem ... Rear brake sensor needed replacing. Ed Fry from England

I had the same problem, caused by a malfunction in the main computer, incredibly expensive to fix Simon Rival from Australia

I had same problem, I changed the brake light switch and the problem was sorted. James Blackmore from England

Submitted: 10/09/2013 16:33:03 | ID: 54257

Amanda Davis, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

Hi. I`m looking to purchase a Peugeot 407 2.0 SW diesel Estate year 2006 with 134K miles on the clock but it all Peugeot dealer services and has had the fly wheel and clutch replaced last year at 114,000 miles. However the MOT shows a couple of advisories. One is the power steering warning light indicating possible failure. Two is the nearside front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint. Three is the nearside rear brake shows signs of overheating. Is this something I should be worried about before purchasing from a garage? The asking price is £2765, the bodywork is in great condition and everything else seems okay. Thanks.

Please do not go near a 407. I have 5 customers with them and they are all rubbish and are constantly causing problems and breaking down Jay Pater from England

Don’t buy a 407 unless you are very rich! Stefan Trzoska from Leicestershire