PEUGEOT 407 questions and answers

PEUGEOT 407

Ask and answer questions on a variety of PEUGEOT 407 models. Help and advice on everything PEUGEOT 407. Feel free to ask and answer as many PEUGEOT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest PEUGEOT 407 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Athony Moses, Trinidad and Tobago

My abs, esp and speed sensor warning light came on, a diagnostic check show the abs module to be dead, where can i get it repair or replaced cheaper than the firm?

Submitted: 23/07/2014 19:38:00 | ID: 100239

Athony Moses, Trinidad and Tobago

My abs, esp and speed sensor warning light came on, a diagnostic check show the abs module to be dead, no signal going out to control the transmission to change gears; where can i get it repair or replaced cheaper than the firm?

Submitted: 23/07/2014 19:29:53 | ID: 100236

Anthony, Leitrim

I have a peugeot 407,1.6L diesel,2007. The computer screen in blanc,it does,nt show anything. What could be the problem? I was told is the glass,but i think there is more to it,could you please help. Again,when CD player is playing,it frequently interfere with the radio,the radio station would just come on, What could be the problem please? Thanks and hoping to hear from you shortly. Anthony

Submitted: 11/07/2014 22:08:31 | ID: 99485

Bret, Cambridgeshire

Does the water coolant expansion bottle senor connect to anything? It appears the is a cable missing on my engine but I am not sure if there should be one from the water expansion bottle level senor to ???

Submitted: 07/07/2014 17:29:12 | ID: 99154

A. MacDonald, Highland

Hi, I have a 407 2;0L GT HDI on a 57 plate. It is a nice car with all the toys built in. I had a problem with the individual climate control flaps not working. I had them fixed last year, it's quite a big job and they now work well. The problem I have now is I can`t get the air con. to blow ice cold air. I have had the gases done and it worked fine for that day. I also had it checked to make sure it wasn't leaking the gas and was told if it was leaking they would not have re gassed it. Long story short, can anyone tell me why it won't blow ice cold all of the time? Thanks in advance, A. MacDonald

Submitted: 01/07/2014 17:27:47 | ID: 98810

Steven, Hungary

What is the idle rev on this car? Thank you. Steven

Submitted: 01/07/2014 08:14:23 | ID: 98781

Mahamood K.O, Nigeria

Please my peugeot 407 with EW10A engine is not picking once when accelerate but it does when double tap the pedal

Submitted: 21/06/2014 08:30:02 | ID: 98169

Ronald, Spain

How can I remove the front headlights to replace with new lights on my Peugeot 407 SW 2007

Submitted: 19/06/2014 11:58:29 | ID: 98018

Carlene, Lancashire

Hiya, I have recently purchased a 407 KG05 EHW though a private sale and have had problems already. on the day of purchase, I lost all power steering and it went very heavy. my local garage ran a computer test on it and it was showing faults with 2 speed sensors which have been replaced. However the steering fault is still there and they are now saying it could be the power steering pump. He has advised that my car (KG05 EHW) is on the cusp of the pump needing to be coded and calibrated by a Peugeot dealer but he is not sure, as the year before, he describes as 'plug and play'. Can you advise on the pump please as to whether it needs to be programmed or can we have (possibly a reconditioned) one fitted? faults showing still on the computer read out are as follows ESP / ASR disarming switch (inactive) Status of handbrake (inactive) but the handbrake is working mechanically status of steering wheel angle sensor (not operational) steering wheel angle status (not calibrated) Status of gearbox torque converter (not available) faults showing are names as C1135 and C1388...... I am really at the end of my tether now and need a safe car to drive, can you help. Already Tried: my local garage but i'm afraid to go ahead with their advice as they are unsure, (see message)

Submitted: 11/06/2014 13:02:49 | ID: 97420

Carlene, Lancashire

Submitted: 11/06/2014 13:01:09 | ID: 97419

srikqantha, Sri Lanka

my car is petrol and sound like a diesel car.is there any timing chain replacement warning comes or when it should?please answer.

Submitted: 08/06/2014 04:39:01 | ID: 97175

Mario, Croatia

Hello, I have problem with the tire pressure valves, they were working normaly, and now i switched to summer tires and sudenly they began to report tire pressure to low. Anybody have any clue what could be the problem?

Maybe you have problems with the valves, go to a garage and change them. charlie from Berkshire

Submitted: 07/06/2014 14:20:26 | ID: 97120

peter walker, East Riding of Yorkshire

My engine light has come on and stays on prior to this when I drove off in 1st and 2nd gear it ran sluggish like it was running out of fuel . Any ideas Regards Pete

Red light coming on and off, very sluggish when in 1st and 2nd gear. Can you help to understand what happening Thank you Damien Cronin Damien Cronin from Kildare

Submitted: 01/06/2014 21:05:47 | ID: 96674

John Petersen, Australia

How does one remove the rear tail light assembly in a 407 Station Wagon (Estate)?

Remove the luggage space side panels and undo the large nut holding the rear light cluster in place. The whole unit then comes out to gain access to the rear lights. Ronald from Spain

Just an update on my previous email and a response to the person from Buckinghamshire. I have had the most appaling service from Peugeot concerning the radio's lack of TA from the BBC and no Traffic Information. I had to raise hell on earth to get them to admit the Traffic Info was not working (the screen was blank!) having been told 'that was it, Peugeot technical do not want to know'! Eventually after 4 visits to the dealership a software update cured the Traffic Info problem but the radio still does not work with TA when on a national BBC station. A letter to the UK MD was not even acknowledged, more phone calls made with promises that they are dealing with it it and 3 months down the line again nothing from Peugeot. This is a brand new car. Peugeot customer service is pathetic and a disgrace. Touch wood I have not had the problem with the car veering to left (yet) and I dread any further problems. You have my full sympathy over your problems as I doubt if they will want to do anything under the warranty without a full scale battle. If you wish to contact me direct for any support please say so if you respond. I will forward my email address etc. so we can chat. Bob Bob from Surrey

Submitted: 31/05/2014 10:33:44 | ID: 96571

roliks, South Yorkshire

Can anyone tell me where the fuse for the indicators is located?

Submitted: 29/05/2014 19:43:53 | ID: 96451

helen didier, Surrey

The dashboard says gas tank is open (it isn't) the radio console tells me the rear glass is open (it keeps popping open) the radio stations keep changing, the console flashes that the rear brake light is faulty, the speed control is faulty, the fog lamp is faulty - there is nothing wrong with these items as the car has just ben checked. Any ideas ????

Hi, I had several of the same issues with my 407 (no cruise, lights not auto adjust, esp, abs etc). I ended up changing the brake switch (£6 from euro car parts) fitted by myself in 2 minutes very easily. Sorted nearly all my issues. cliffo from Kent

Submitted: 28/05/2014 18:41:37 | ID: 96356

Tina, Ireland

Have a 08 Peugeot went to start this morning and it wouldn't start just swinging over, on the 4th attempt it started but it was lacking in power and the engine management light came on ,recently serviced so can't understand what the problem is ????

Submitted: 27/05/2014 20:58:05 | ID: 96277

joseph jibo, Nigeria

My daughter pressed a button that raised an alarm,after I stopped the alaram,the car wouldn't start ,what do I do please

Submitted: 25/05/2014 21:27:51 | ID: 96157

John Clark, Hertfordshire

I have just brought a peugoet 407 estate xline and the fault control pression comes up when it's running through engin check and then goes out wondered what that ment

It`s the tyre pressure check, the valves may have been changed but not programmed out cliffo from Kent

Submitted: 19/05/2014 20:08:17 | ID: 95739

Lot, Nigeria

Wen driving it will show a triangle with PRND and the engine will switch off, wen I restart after for some time it will repeat the same thing

Atf fluid level should be checked Chris kalamula from Malawi

Submitted: 15/05/2014 09:36:11 | ID: 95538

colin spears, Middlesex

its twice now i am driving along and the center display shut off,screen goes blank, press the on button and the system comes back on.Is this a problem or is it the system loosing its signal be greatfull for some information.

Submitted: 11/05/2014 08:52:54 | ID: 95373

muso, Somerset

The fuel filler flap flap is stuck. Any ideas how to get it open?

Submitted: 26/04/2014 20:29:04 | ID: 94773

john uwah, Nigeria

my Peugeot 407 display oil OK and a triangle sign on the dash board and as soon as it display this the car will stop moving what happen

Submitted: 26/04/2014 18:39:28 | ID: 94769

Guy Peled, Finland

I got a 2.0 petrol engine on a 2005 car. All normal checks were done regularly. When I start the engine, it gives white burned plastic smell from the exhaust system and the engine must be revved to 2000rpm so it won't Stall. Any thoughts?

Submitted: 25/04/2014 09:11:16 | ID: 94681

oisin, Dublin

I have a 407 car and their is water coming into the filler tank and injust want to now why thank you

Submitted: 16/04/2014 12:32:28 | ID: 94312

Ousama Dabbagh, Syria

Peugeot 407 2007

I have a problem with my Peugeot 407. If I select a gear and start to drive the car doesn’t have any power but the engine is still working. It has no gears on the flat and the car shows P R N T on the screen. Can someone please explain what is wrong?

Submitted: 03/04/2014 10:47:06 | ID: 93833

Bill Redfern, England

Peugeot 407 2006

My Peugeot 407 suddenly stopped, the engine runs fine and it selects all gears (no crunching) but no drive. When I put it in gear (first or reverse) and release the clutch it bites and rocks (about 1cm). Can someone help? Regards.

The dual mass flywheel had collapsed and damaged the clutch. Was charged £540 for the parts and £340 for labour. Bill Redfern from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 01/04/2014 12:14:40 | ID: 93757

Dennis Carson, County Antrim

Peugeot 407 2006

My Peugeot 407`s tyre pressures are switched off but now I`m getting a tyre symbol with tyre pressure low message. How come? (saloon)

Submitted: 31/03/2014 14:39:44 | ID: 93680

James Fowler, England

Peugeot 407 2004

Hi, I have a Peugeot 407 SW 2.0 diesel. I want to change the cd player to a dvd player but the menu button on the cd player brings up the menu for the air con, so what can I do?

Submitted: 25/03/2014 11:09:48 | ID: 62633

Paul Itodo, Nigeria

Peugeot 407 2004

My Peugeot 407 accelerates slowly and movement is not as sharp as it is supposed to be. The brainbox malfunctioned and since then it`s been as described. What should I do please?

Replace your original spark plugs to DENSO spark plugs and change your air filter to K&N air filter. You will love your car after that. All can be ordered online. Kheng Yuen from Malaysia

Submitted: 24/02/2014 12:29:13 | ID: 93360

Ray Mitchell, England

Peugeot 407 2006

I may be worng here but I remember that when I unlocked my Peugeot 407 with the remote, the courtesy light and the centre console would light up before I got into the car and show (on cold mornings) the ’risk of ice’ message. Two days ago, after refuelling, I noticed the courtesy light lights up but the centre console display no longer does. Is my memory failing or have I pressed something inadvertently? (Zenith)

Submitted: 18/02/2014 15:48:33 | ID: 62226

Anumo Andre, Essex

Peugeot 407 2005

Why would the power steering pump on the Peugeot 407 SE HDi stay on when the ignition is off? (SE Hdi)

Submitted: 14/02/2014 10:12:39 | ID: 61854

Stewart Hunter, Northern Ireland

Peugeot 407 2007

My Peugeot 407`s power steering has gone light and very sensitive at high speed, it is very noticeable. The car has had new front discs front of side wheel bearing and near side track rod end fitted in the last few 4 weeks. Any idea what the problem might be? (2.0L 136)

Submitted: 03/02/2014 09:21:03 | ID: 59060

Sharend, England

Peugeot 407 2006

My Peugeot 407 starts and runs fine until you get to a steep hill when all of a sudden the engine loses power, even changing down a gear does not help. It feels like the old diesels when the govener slows the engine down. The engine management light does not come on when this happens or any other light. You switch the engine off and re start it and then it is fine until you get to another hill and there are plenty here. In short the engine loses power when the inlet manifold has more pressure in it when pulling hard, as if a pressure sensor might be faulty. I will change the filter next week just in case anyway. The previous owner has fitted a new turbo a few monthe ago. On a flat road the car runs like magic. Any ideas please? (2.0 hdi)

Submitted: 30/01/2014 09:51:12 | ID: 61486

Michael Hyde, England

Peugeot 407 2004

My Peugeot 407 2.0 ltr tdi loses power when climbing slightest hills even on motorways. It also has particulate fluid level low reading and anti pollution warning lights coming up on the dashboard. Are these faults related? The car doesn’t seem to be in limp mode as some suggested as the car will still do upwards of 70 mph and all gears are working and revs higher than 2000 rpm. Any ideas please?.

Sounds like the particulate filter is to blame. Ivor Mac from Devon

Hi there, I’m also having the same issue. My agent told me to change the throttle body, which I did change spending almost 500 USD, but the problem is continuing to occur. When I switch off the engine and then switch on it goes off. Intially I got the same error on the display and the engine light on the dash board, but still my Peugeot agent wasn’t able to identify the problem. Now their next target is to change my petrol filter, which will be another 300 USD. I have changed all the filters including the petrol filters. Please someone help me. Zahran Ziyawudeen from Sri Lanka

Replace your inlet pressure sensor at the inlet manifold. Then use PPS to clear fault. This is solve your problem. Kheng Yuen from Malaysia

Submitted: 28/01/2014 14:16:15 | ID: 61414

Stephen McKeever, England

Peugeot 407 2005

I can`t get a radio in my Peugeot 407 estate. Can anyone help?

Add Earth wires to both of your tailamps. Both of them do not have enough earthing which makes the warning light bulb came on. By adding a wire from your tailamps to the body of the car, you should solve the problem. Kheng Yuen from Malaysia

Submitted: 28/01/2014 10:33:35 | ID: 61379

Lisa Sunley, Essex

Peugeot 407 2006

I have a problem with my Peugeot 407. When I brake I have a warning light come on about direction indicators faulty and when I indicate it`s warning of a faulty left handbrake light, but that still works and the beeping noise is annoying. Can anyone help?

Could be a dodgy earth connection on the lights. Steve Mason from Neath Port Talbot

407’s suffer from earth wiring on rear lamps burning in the terminal Jamie from England

Submitted: 13/01/2014 09:28:41 | ID: 60632

Paul Newman, Essex

Peugeot 407 2006

I have a problem with my Peugeot 407. When I touch the brake pedal a warning light comes on for indicator failure, but they still work. I indicate to go left and it warns me of brake light not working but it is. Can anyone help?

Add an earth wire to each side of the tailamps. An earth wire from your tailamp to the body of the car should solve your problem. You need to do it for both sides. Kheng Yuen from Malaysia

Submitted: 10/01/2014 10:10:36 | ID: 60546

Babs Ola, Kent

Peugeot 407 2004

My Peugeot 407`s doors won’t open using the remote control or using the key. Does anyone know how to unlock the car as I`ve not been able to get any headway with it? Please help?

Submitted: 02/01/2014 14:40:26 | ID: 60122

Maj Hakim, South Africa

Peugeot 407 2006

My Peugeot 407 was driving perfectly until it started switching off while driving. It starts after a while and then drives perfectly again without a single misfire. The switching off has now become more regular (at least 5 times a day) and at times it takes a while to restart and drive normally. My mechanic had it diagnosed and it showed that my coil pack needed replacing. I had it replaced and it worked for a day or 2 until back to normal. Diagnostics now show that I need another ECU (engine control unit). My mechanic said that the ecu feeds spark to the coil pack and that`s the fault. Can anyone kindly let me know if it`s really the case before I go ahead and replace the ecu? Many thanks.

Whenever you replace the ignition coil, you must replace the spark plugs too. They go as a set cause the coil will short circuit the plugs. After that, ask them to clean your throttle body. This should solve your problem. Kheng Yuen from Malaysia

Submitted: 20/12/2013 10:44:20 | ID: 59537