PEUGEOT 308 questions and answers

PEUGEOT 308

Ask and answer questions on a variety of PEUGEOT 308 models. Help and advice on everything PEUGEOT 308. Feel free to ask and answer as many PEUGEOT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest PEUGEOT 308 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Harry Loughran, Buckinghamshire

Have been quoted £1500 to replace a defective fuel injector ( Engine still running on 3 cylinders) Is this a reasonable charge for what seems to be a minor repair?

Had same problem with a 1.6hdi ...... was quoted over £2000 by a Peugeot Dealer to replace all 4 !!!!! so I purchased a used injector (low mileage) from Ebay for £89 then got a local mechanic to diagnose which one was faulty and change it..... cost £50, then lastly you have to take it to a Peugeot main Dealer to reprogram the BSI and Injectors , this cost £95. Car now runs like a dream, total cost £234 Mick from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 28/08/2014 19:29:48 | ID: 102292

mike dennerley, Cheshire

my offside door mirror has come apart .how do I refit it ?

Submitted: 26/08/2014 17:01:31 | ID: 102159

A Basic, Derbyshire

2010, Peugeot 308 1.6 S AUTO five door, I cannot change into fifth gear. I'm not sure what could be the problem? No problems to change gears from 1-4...

Submitted: 26/08/2014 16:23:39 | ID: 102158

bari, Australia

Is the Peugeot 2013 wagon`s tail light the same size as that of the Peugeot 2008 wagon?

Submitted: 21/08/2014 20:22:28 | ID: 101901

Paul, Greater London

I recently had an oil seal repaired on my vehicle and in the process the garage have disconnected the battery. When I received my car back the centre clock/date etc display is flashing. I tried to press the menu button on the stereo and nothing happens. Any ideas?

Submitted: 21/08/2014 17:55:37 | ID: 101887

Paul, Greater London

I recently had an oil seal repaired on my vehicle and in the process the garage have disconnected the battery. When i rec'd my car back the centre clock/date etc display is flashing. I tried to press the menu button on the stereo and nothing happens. Any ideas?

Submitted: 21/08/2014 17:54:56 | ID: 101886

Minarmm, Australia

Hi I have just purchase this car and I'm trying to run the CD MP3 but not running . I'm getting all the content read on the multifunction screen but does not play any. I can play only the audio CD but not the MP3 one ( any idea for how to run this ) and also I'm thinking to upgrade the GPS Nave with a reverse parking camera any idea form Peugeot or aftermarket as I've seen many reverse camera but it will be combatable with the original multifunctional screen already their

Submitted: 14/08/2014 02:04:18 | ID: 101451

Alan Munro, Suffolk

I have a 308SR from about 2000 which has a strange impromptu problem. While driving at almost speed the gearbox changes down and the engine revs rise to around 4500. With my foot off the gas the car continues to move and the only way that I can resolve this situation is to stop, wait for a few minutes and then restart. The Gearbox Fault message is no longer displayed on the in car display. The problem happens infrequently and at varying speeds and traffic conditions. I am concerned that this might happen while in a remote area or at night. My local dealer says there is no fault but has updated the gearbox ECU software. Any ideas?

Submitted: 11/08/2014 19:59:28 | ID: 101348

rob brownhills, West Midlands

I have a Peugeot 308 2009 and the electronic child lock for the back doors and windows keep deactivating, sometimes it will stay on for weeks then it starts playing up. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 08/08/2014 12:48:30 | ID: 101149

Dave, Cheshire

Peugeot 308 the central locking key is starting to fade so we started using the second key. Unlocked the car to drive somewhere, parked up and locked it. On return to the car it now won't start or even turn over, the dashboard says "automatic lock on", is this an immobiliser issue. And does any one know how to fix this issue please?

Submitted: 08/08/2014 10:31:58 | ID: 101123

john conroy, Dorset

What is the address for an e-mail to Peugeot? I put in Peugeot.co.uk but it dosen`t work

Submitted: 06/08/2014 15:08:53 | ID: 101022

stephen, Suffolk

Where do I locate the mp3 socket?

Try the centre console between the driver and passenger seat, mine is in there. The aux sockets are in the glovebox. Seb from West Sussex

Submitted: 04/08/2014 22:08:58 | ID: 100915

Dejan, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Please let me know how much gas fit in air conditioning in the Peugeot 308 2011 year.

Submitted: 04/08/2014 15:17:44 | ID: 100897

Bernard, Lincolnshire

I've just replaced my fuel, air and oil filters, I took it for a run, on the way home after about 20 miles the brake pedal went spongy, on arriving home I checked underneath for any signs of leaks, but there were non. I tried the pedal with the engine off and parked, the pedal felt solid, switched on the engine and the pedal would creep down under the weight of my foot. While changing the air and fuel filters I removed the battery, and undid the fluid header tank as instructed, and tied off together with the battery lead cluster, to be clear of movement while removing trunking etc, to get at the air filter housing. Everything went back together in reverse dismantle, no hitches.. Thanks for looking. Any ideas please folks ?

Submitted: 03/08/2014 21:45:32 | ID: 100856

noel, County Down

Where do I find the passenger compartment filter?

Submitted: 03/08/2014 19:58:36 | ID: 100851

william bennett, Cheshire

After fitting a turbo on to a 2008 peugeot hdi engine could a faulty dpf filter or a faulty inter cooler cause the new turbo to fail after 10 mile

Submitted: 03/08/2014 19:49:18 | ID: 100850

DANIEL, South Yorkshire

on my 308 the power steering works when i turn left but dosnt work turning right ive change the electric steering with a second hand pump would it need programming cause it still does the same

Submitted: 23/07/2014 16:54:32 | ID: 100219

Gauson, Fife

Has anyone experienced similar problem? I have a Peugeot 308 57 Reg (31,000 miles). My rear window wiper/washer activates intermittently on it`s own accord and the lights also turn on independently (whilst the light switch is in the "off" position). Car`s performance also is sluggish and lacks power (particularly negotiating steep climbs). Peugeot garage has updated software and is in the process of renewing fuse box on a process of elimination. I`d appreciate any response. Very many thanks!

Hi, I was reading the users manual yesterday and noticed it said that this car has an automatic setting for wipers and lights maybe yours is switched on. There is a users manual online if you dint have one that tells you how to deactivate it. But when you switch the ignition on look in the dashboard for info relating to it. As for the sluggish up the hill mine is exactly that same! Heather from Brighton & Hove

Submitted: 17/07/2014 18:40:14 | ID: 99875

Michael, Kent

Hi. I need to remove the front passenger seat. Do you just unscrew 4 alan bolts? There seem to be some electrical wires under the seat, I`m not sure if these are connected to the seat? My car is an Alure but I did not have the package which gave you electrical adjustment for the seat. Kind regards, Michael

Submitted: 17/07/2014 06:24:58 | ID: 99832

moustafa ak, Egypt

I have a 308 SW 2012. I found the side mirror separated from its basal part attached to the door, but the connecting wire is intact and the internal motor is okay. Can I investigate and repair by myself? I need to dislodge the inner cover of the door and I want to know if there is an illustrative video how to repair this mirror?

Submitted: 14/07/2014 01:07:55 | ID: 99628

derrick, East Riding of Yorkshire

hi had cluth stick down when depressed garage came and took it away said it was the slave and changed it. now they claiming the 3 rd gear pops out and must have done for ages ass its a gear box fault. This has never happend before it the clucth got stuck, Is it possible the garage has moved or moved the gear cables to cause this as i dont see how a gearbox can go with only 40k on clock and was working perfect before clutch repaired thanks for any advice.

On my 2012 308 to get to the slave cylinder meant removal of the gearbox, changing the cylinder and then gearbox replacement. I'd put money on the garage not refitting the gearbox correctly causing a problem with the gear selector linkage. Seb from West Sussex

Submitted: 08/07/2014 21:12:36 | ID: 99269

Linda, South Africa

My Peugeot 308cc went for service 2 months ago. It isn't due for service yet but the following warning lights go on: "Engine management system faulty" "Check engine level oil" "Risk of ice" "Check coolant level". My car has a full service history so i'm a bit baffled??

Submitted: 08/07/2014 17:59:43 | ID: 99248

john, Cheshire

Hi. I have a 308 1.6 vi see. It's done 50.000 miles and has started burning oil, only a bit but when it's hot it blows blue smoke out when I've been at idle at lights and in traffic. I've been told there is a crankcase breather valve on the inlet manifold that may be letting oil in, causing the smoke. Can anyone advise on this please? Regards John.

Submitted: 04/07/2014 09:17:23 | ID: 98938

Sue Hamblin, Suffolk

I have a Peugeot 308 1.6L petrol estate. I have only had the car a couple of months. A short time ago whilst driving along I suddenly heard a noise which suggested that something was dragging on the ground. I was close to my destination so when I got there I looked underneath the car and a box type thing was hanging down. There didn't seem to be anywhere to put a screw in that would hold it in place. A cable tie was used which did the job. I contacted the place I had bought the car from and they said to bring it in and they would look at it. The man there told me it was a breather box?? and they would get a replacement one for me, whilst stating that this never happens and he couldn't understand it. Anyway it was fitted and less than 2 weeks later it has fallen off yet again. Can anyone help and shed any light as to what it actually is, how it should be held in place and why it keeps falling down?

Submitted: 01/07/2014 21:03:07 | ID: 98821

Ryan, South Yorkshire

Hi my Peugeot 308 has only 3,500 miles clocked and I got the car in November 2013. Since March the car has been juddering every so often when in 4th and 5th gears. (Feels like I'm about to stall). I've taken the car into a Peugeot garage 3 times and each time they say there isn't anything wrong and that I just need to be going on a longer drive ie. motorway for an hour or so. I keep doing this but the car is still juddering. I'm at the end of my tether with it. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Hi - got the same problem with my 2012 Peugeot 308 (22,000 on the clock). I use the motorway everyday. Haven't taken it in yet, but think I will have to soon. Waiting to see if you get any answers! Karen O'Hara from Kent

Submitted: 30/06/2014 21:37:45 | ID: 98760

Claire, Tyne and Wear

I need to replace part of a wing mirror. I have a 2013 308. I have been told that any 308 wing mirror will fit from the last few years as they are all the same? Is this correct, as I can`t find a mirror from a 2013 model on salvage websites?

Submitted: 30/06/2014 14:03:55 | ID: 98730

Gary miller, North Lanarkshire

Hi my little screen says engine management system faulty could u explain what this means

Submitted: 28/06/2014 17:20:49 | ID: 98623

Jon, Hampshire

I think I have an earth problem with the rear light cluster and need to fit an earth and I can't see which bit that is. When I took the cluster apart the bulb holders are all one part to the base of the bulb and the other to the top or side of the bulb. I think they are all positive as the 308 is a negative earth. So where is this earth rod "common to all" as, as far as I am concerned, the positives are common to all bulbs and the earth is no where to be seen except on the loom connector. Can someone be specific as to where it is. Kind Regards Jon

Submitted: 17/06/2014 16:30:33 | ID: 97900

Malcolm Anderson, North Yorkshire

2012 model 18000 miles,drove from work 2 miles,when I turned off the engine cooling fan continued to run for c3/4 minutes,never noticed this before,air temp c20c,coolant level fine and temp gauge shows normal?any ideas?

Hi, this is normal. Remember your engine is still very hot and the fan will cool it down even when you switch off the engine. Andy retired mechanic. Andrew from City of Glasgow

Submitted: 16/06/2014 16:10:15 | ID: 97809

Colette, Greater Manchester

My rear passenger side door was slammed closed on Friday while the window was down. When I went to put the window up after that it wouldn't go up and after trying to pull it up it now just drops down every time as though it has come off the runner. Can someone advise on how to fix this? Thanks

Had a problem with rear door not opening. Solved by turning kn ignition and pressing down the child lock button on the drivers door a few times. This sprung the lock for me. nick from Merseyside

Submitted: 16/06/2014 10:17:31 | ID: 97781

Pat O Donovan, Cork

I have a Peugeot 308 1.6 Diesel. When you use your indicators I don't hear and sound to let me know that they have been selected, is this normal. I normally drive Fords and you hear a sound when the indicators are flashing. Thanks.

It sounds like the indicator switch is not working properly. Andy retired mechanic. Andrew from City of Glasgow

Submitted: 08/06/2014 21:15:12 | ID: 97239

al-balushi, Oman

Hi should I have to change transmition oil after done 80.000km?

Submitted: 04/06/2014 16:01:05 | ID: 96899

john lynch, City of Glasgow

drivers window wont drop from outside doo handle but ok from inside handle

Submitted: 30/05/2014 09:41:28 | ID: 96495

Bashar, Oxfordshire

Hi , i hear air noise inside the car and it disappears when i push on the brake pedal , is this from servo or something else , and is this danger ? Thank you .

Hi, it sounds like your calliper is sticking or your brake pads need replacing. Andy retired mechanic. Andrew from City of Glasgow

Submitted: 21/05/2014 21:36:53 | ID: 95890

geoff knight, Suffolk

My Peugeot 308 1.6 HDi (2010) has had two (different) injectors fail in the past year. These were diagnosed as being due to electrical failures in the injectors. On both occasions I experienced a sudden loss of power and was barely able to drive more than a couple of miles; the car was juddering along between 5 and 10 mph. I was fortunate that on the first occasion Iwas able to pull off the road and the RAC were able to tow me to a garage. The second time I was within a couple of miles of home. Whilst I may have been just unlucky for 2 injectors to fail in a short period, my real worry is the complete loss of power that occurs immediately after the ESP warning light comes on. Is this a typical experience or is it something peculiar to this make/type of vehicle? I would have hoped that The Engine Management System could at least go into a "limp home " mode so that I could reach a place of safety to call for help. Ant advice would we appreciated.

Submitted: 20/05/2014 07:56:54 | ID: 95754

p short, Darlington

Can you drain water from a diesel filter?

Submitted: 18/05/2014 15:04:08 | ID: 95670

Bren Summers, West Midlands

How do I re-attach the spare wheel to the underside of my vehicle? It involves a cable and a tool box but I am unsure which order they go in and I have no manual to refer to. Many thanks.

Submitted: 10/05/2014 11:55:20 | ID: 95334

jim thomson, Midlothian

I had ODI meter on the car, it read cruise control open, but it's switched off all of the time. Does anyone know the cause?

Submitted: 05/05/2014 14:30:39 | ID: 95114

DAVE, Hull

I cannot physically find the USB power socket. Is anyone able to help?

have a look in the compartment under centre armrest stuart from South Yorkshire

have a look in the compartment under centre armrest stuart from South Yorkshire

Submitted: 05/05/2014 12:23:20 | ID: 95105

Bella, South Africa

I am driving the 308 cc 2013 model it's hardly a year it's giving me the message top up the coolant level I took. It to Total they top up the coolant but the message keeps on coming up and have Avery funny noise when's driving

Submitted: 22/04/2014 20:13:55 | ID: 94571