PEUGEOT 308 questions and answers

PEUGEOT 308

Ask and answer questions on a variety of PEUGEOT 308 models. Help and advice on everything PEUGEOT 308. Feel free to ask and answer as many PEUGEOT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest PEUGEOT 308 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

DANIEL, South Yorkshire

on my 308 the power steering works when i turn left but dosnt work turning right ive change the electric steering with a second hand pump would it need programming cause it still does the same

Submitted: 23/07/2014 16:54:32 | ID: 100219

Gauson, Fife

Has anyone experienced similar problem? I have a Peugeot 308 57 Reg (31,000 miles). My rear window wiper/washer activates intermittently on it`s own accord and the lights also turn on independently (whilst the light switch is in the "off" position). Car`s performance also is sluggish and lacks power (particularly negotiating steep climbs). Peugeot garage has updated software and is in the process of renewing fuse box on a process of elimination. I`d appreciate any response. Very many thanks!

Hi, I was reading the users manual yesterday and noticed it said that this car has an automatic setting for wipers and lights maybe yours is switched on. There is a users manual online if you dint have one that tells you how to deactivate it. But when you switch the ignition on look in the dashboard for info relating to it. As for the sluggish up the hill mine is exactly that same! Heather from Brighton & Hove

Submitted: 17/07/2014 18:40:14 | ID: 99875

Michael, Kent

Hi. I need to remove the front passenger seat. Do you just unscrew 4 alan bolts? There seem to be some electrical wires under the seat, I`m not sure if these are connected to the seat? My car is an Alure but I did not have the package which gave you electrical adjustment for the seat. Kind regards, Michael

Submitted: 17/07/2014 06:24:58 | ID: 99832

moustafa ak, Egypt

I have a 308 SW 2012. I found the side mirror separated from its basal part attached to the door, but the connecting wire is intact and the internal motor is okay. Can I investigate and repair by myself? I need to dislodge the inner cover of the door and I want to know if there is an illustrative video how to repair this mirror?

Submitted: 14/07/2014 01:07:55 | ID: 99628

derrick, East Riding of Yorkshire

hi had cluth stick down when depressed garage came and took it away said it was the slave and changed it. now they claiming the 3 rd gear pops out and must have done for ages ass its a gear box fault. This has never happend before it the clucth got stuck, Is it possible the garage has moved or moved the gear cables to cause this as i dont see how a gearbox can go with only 40k on clock and was working perfect before clutch repaired thanks for any advice.

Submitted: 08/07/2014 21:12:36 | ID: 99269

Linda, South Africa

My Peugeot 308cc went for service 2 months ago. It isn't due for service yet but the following warning lights go on: "Engine management system faulty" "Check engine level oil" "Risk of ice" "Check coolant level". My car has a full service history so i'm a bit baffled??

Submitted: 08/07/2014 17:59:43 | ID: 99248

john, Cheshire

Hi. I have a 308 1.6 vi see. It's done 50.000 miles and has started burning oil, only a bit but when it's hot it blows blue smoke out when I've been at idle at lights and in traffic. I've been told there is a crankcase breather valve on the inlet manifold that may be letting oil in, causing the smoke. Can anyone advise on this please? Regards John.

Submitted: 04/07/2014 09:17:23 | ID: 98938

Sue Hamblin, Suffolk

I have a Peugeot 308 1.6L petrol estate. I have only had the car a couple of months. A short time ago whilst driving along I suddenly heard a noise which suggested that something was dragging on the ground. I was close to my destination so when I got there I looked underneath the car and a box type thing was hanging down. There didn't seem to be anywhere to put a screw in that would hold it in place. A cable tie was used which did the job. I contacted the place I had bought the car from and they said to bring it in and they would look at it. The man there told me it was a breather box?? and they would get a replacement one for me, whilst stating that this never happens and he couldn't understand it. Anyway it was fitted and less than 2 weeks later it has fallen off yet again. Can anyone help and shed any light as to what it actually is, how it should be held in place and why it keeps falling down?

Submitted: 01/07/2014 21:03:07 | ID: 98821

Ryan, South Yorkshire

Hi my Peugeot 308 has only 3,500 miles clocked and I got the car in November 2013. Since March the car has been juddering every so often when in 4th and 5th gears. (Feels like I'm about to stall). I've taken the car into a Peugeot garage 3 times and each time they say there isn't anything wrong and that I just need to be going on a longer drive ie. motorway for an hour or so. I keep doing this but the car is still juddering. I'm at the end of my tether with it. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Hi - got the same problem with my 2012 Peugeot 308 (22,000 on the clock). I use the motorway everyday. Haven't taken it in yet, but think I will have to soon. Waiting to see if you get any answers! Karen O'Hara from Kent

Submitted: 30/06/2014 21:37:45 | ID: 98760

Claire, Tyne and Wear

I need to replace part of a wing mirror. I have a 2013 308. I have been told that any 308 wing mirror will fit from the last few years as they are all the same? Is this correct, as I can`t find a mirror from a 2013 model on salvage websites?

Submitted: 30/06/2014 14:03:55 | ID: 98730

Gary miller, North Lanarkshire

Hi my little screen says engine management system faulty could u explain what this means

Submitted: 28/06/2014 17:20:49 | ID: 98623

Jon, Hampshire

I think I have an earth problem with the rear light cluster and need to fit an earth and I can't see which bit that is. When I took the cluster apart the bulb holders are all one part to the base of the bulb and the other to the top or side of the bulb. I think they are all positive as the 308 is a negative earth. So where is this earth rod "common to all" as, as far as I am concerned, the positives are common to all bulbs and the earth is no where to be seen except on the loom connector. Can someone be specific as to where it is. Kind Regards Jon

Submitted: 17/06/2014 16:30:33 | ID: 97900

Malcolm Anderson, North Yorkshire

2012 model 18000 miles,drove from work 2 miles,when I turned off the engine cooling fan continued to run for c3/4 minutes,never noticed this before,air temp c20c,coolant level fine and temp gauge shows normal?any ideas?

Hi, this is normal. Remember your engine is still very hot and the fan will cool it down even when you switch off the engine. Andy retired mechanic. Andrew from City of Glasgow

Submitted: 16/06/2014 16:10:15 | ID: 97809

Colette, Greater Manchester

My rear passenger side door was slammed closed on Friday while the window was down. When I went to put the window up after that it wouldn't go up and after trying to pull it up it now just drops down every time as though it has come off the runner. Can someone advise on how to fix this? Thanks

Submitted: 16/06/2014 10:17:31 | ID: 97781

Pat O Donovan, Cork

I have a Peugeot 308 1.6 Diesel. When you use your indicators I don't hear and sound to let me know that they have been selected, is this normal. I normally drive Fords and you hear a sound when the indicators are flashing. Thanks.

It sounds like the indicator switch is not working properly. Andy retired mechanic. Andrew from City of Glasgow

Submitted: 08/06/2014 21:15:12 | ID: 97239

al-balushi, Oman

Hi should I have to change transmition oil after done 80.000km?

Submitted: 04/06/2014 16:01:05 | ID: 96899

john lynch, City of Glasgow

drivers window wont drop from outside doo handle but ok from inside handle

Submitted: 30/05/2014 09:41:28 | ID: 96495

Bashar, Oxfordshire

Hi , i hear air noise inside the car and it disappears when i push on the brake pedal , is this from servo or something else , and is this danger ? Thank you .

Hi, it sounds like your calliper is sticking or your brake pads need replacing. Andy retired mechanic. Andrew from City of Glasgow

Submitted: 21/05/2014 21:36:53 | ID: 95890

geoff knight, Suffolk

My Peugeot 308 1.6 HDi (2010) has had two (different) injectors fail in the past year. These were diagnosed as being due to electrical failures in the injectors. On both occasions I experienced a sudden loss of power and was barely able to drive more than a couple of miles; the car was juddering along between 5 and 10 mph. I was fortunate that on the first occasion Iwas able to pull off the road and the RAC were able to tow me to a garage. The second time I was within a couple of miles of home. Whilst I may have been just unlucky for 2 injectors to fail in a short period, my real worry is the complete loss of power that occurs immediately after the ESP warning light comes on. Is this a typical experience or is it something peculiar to this make/type of vehicle? I would have hoped that The Engine Management System could at least go into a "limp home " mode so that I could reach a place of safety to call for help. Ant advice would we appreciated.

Submitted: 20/05/2014 07:56:54 | ID: 95754

p short, Darlington

Can you drain water from a diesel filter?

Submitted: 18/05/2014 15:04:08 | ID: 95670

Bren Summers, West Midlands

How do I re-attach the spare wheel to the underside of my vehicle? It involves a cable and a tool box but I am unsure which order they go in and I have no manual to refer to. Many thanks.

Submitted: 10/05/2014 11:55:20 | ID: 95334

jim thomson, Midlothian

I had ODI meter on the car, it read cruise control open, but it's switched off all of the time. Does anyone know the cause?

Submitted: 05/05/2014 14:30:39 | ID: 95114

DAVE, Hull

I cannot physically find the USB power socket. Is anyone able to help?

have a look in the compartment under centre armrest stuart from South Yorkshire

have a look in the compartment under centre armrest stuart from South Yorkshire

Submitted: 05/05/2014 12:23:20 | ID: 95105

Bella, South Africa

I am driving the 308 cc 2013 model it's hardly a year it's giving me the message top up the coolant level I took. It to Total they top up the coolant but the message keeps on coming up and have Avery funny noise when's driving

Submitted: 22/04/2014 20:13:55 | ID: 94571

Craig Woods, Berkshire

I have a 2008 308sw 1.6 vti, I've had it nearly 2 years, it's done 82,000 miles. Firstly It has failed it's first mot's 2 years running due to emissions, passes second time ofter a run on motorway and fuel system cleaner. Not able to get a straight answer on supermarket fuels, to use or not! Mot chap, friend of friend says it's a myth that there are less additives compared to bp, shell etc, other's say don't use it. No real difference in price here anyway. Have changed oil and filter, air filter, plugs and dosed fuel with highly recommended BG44K all running ok depollution fault came on during the first few miles on treated tank of fuel then went out. Been ok for a week or so but have had a little hesitation under acceleration and a bit less power when cold. Now today the depollution fault back on again but no real loss of power. I have read here about the fuel filter needing to be changed, my local garage said that it is housed in the tank on my car,so not able to change it!?! I have had a noise from front end, only when cold, for first 5 miles or so, from behind dash area (back of engine) sounds like baffles rattling in exhaust. Had it looked at and told system is ok not blowing etc. Does the catt rattle when it's old or when it's on the way out? And could this be the reason for the depollution problems. The car is used across town every day enough to get car to normal running temp. It does get a hard 1000 mile drive 3 times a year. I'm no mechanic, so not sure if I just live with the issue as a quirk of the car, as it looks like there are no real fixes, and main dealers appear here to just keep fitting new parts at great cost without sorting the problem. Any ideas?

I have the same car and have had the same problem. I have recently had it serviced and MOT'd and it resulted in having the catalytic converter, oil pump and electro valve replaced. My car now runs like a dream. I know spending money on it is not what you want to hear (believe me, I didn't either) but I have a healthy happy car now. Abby Abby from Surrey

Submitted: 20/04/2014 15:21:48 | ID: 94471

dave, Stoke-on-Trent

I have a 308 that the rear passenger door wont open from inside or out how do I get the door panel off with out the door open or how can I get the door to open????????

Submitted: 19/04/2014 09:52:22 | ID: 94433

Indira ram, West Midlands

Hi I bought Peugeot 308 recently , but recently it has started to make a very loud what I can only describe as a vacuum noise. Can any one tell me what this could be?

Submitted: 15/04/2014 17:38:29 | ID: 94262

Katie T, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot 308 2009

Hi. I have just purchased a Peugeot 308vti petrol. Could anyone tell me if this car has a clutch cable or hydraulic clutch? (1.6 vti petrol)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 14:51:04 | ID: 93937

Colin Fisher, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot 308 2009

If I do a constant speed in my Peugeot 308, even 70 mph, the gearbox drops a few hundred revs then goes straight back to normal revs. The change can be felt like a gear change. Any ideas anyone? (SE)

Submitted: 03/04/2014 09:52:44 | ID: 93823

Graeme Hollyhead, England

Peugeot 308 2008

I have noticed a swishing sound coming from my Peugeot 308`s n/side back door. I have found a screw on the underside of the door so I took it out of the door panel and around 5 pints of water came out of my door. Has anyone got any thoughts on how it`s getting in the door?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 09:05:30 | ID: 93688

Elizabeth Bright, England

Peugeot 308 2010

I have a Peugeot 308. When more than one passenger is in the car the inside windows mist up and visibility is poor all round. What can I do about this please?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 11:21:33 | ID: 93632

Sharon Holloway, Derbyshire

Peugeot 308 2008

My Peugeot 308 suddenly won’t turn over to start and a message shows up saying electronic anti-theft faulty. Does anyone have any idea what this means and how to rectify this? Thanks in advance. (SE 120 4C5FWC)

It might be a problem with the key’s electronic chip. Ahmed Refaat from Egypt

Submitted: 14/03/2014 12:48:17 | ID: 62822

David George, France

Peugeot 308 2007

I have a used Peugeot 308 November 2007 model premium pack thp 150. On the display screen I can`t see the bluetooth icon, it might be because it`s not provided in this model, aux input for music. I found 2 jack sockets in the glovebox whick are working fine with my iphone but I haven`t found the usb input anywhere for music? Can anyone tell me is there usb input provided in this model, where is its location and in the glovebox there is round moving plastic which looks like bottom back of a speaker. I don`t understand what that is?

I have a Peugeot 407 and I have a USB connection in the centre consol storage bin. The round thing you describe in the glove box is a disc to allow cold air to enter the glove box to make it like a chiller Douglas Cunningham from Renfrewshire

Submitted: 13/03/2014 14:55:10 | ID: 62800

Trudi Ludlow, Bedfordshire

Peugeot 308 2008

I have a Peugeot 308 and the engine fan is still on at least 5 minutes after switching the engine off. I ran out of petrol and called green flag, I don’t know what he did but the fan problem started after he had looked at it. I recalled them and someone came out and re-set something, he turned the engine on and off and it seemed to clear it. About an hour later I drove home only 5 miles and when I got home the fan kicked in and stayed on at least 5 minutes. The same happened this morning. Any ideas please?

My partner bought one of these cars for her daughter her fan was a problem and fuel consumption was terrible so I arranged to have it checked on diagnostic equipment. It came up there was a timing problem and was advised to return the car to where it was purchased because to get this sorted could cost a vast amount of cash. Because the timing was out the fuel was being inputted into the engine at the wrong time and some was simply being pushed out the exhaust vernon legg from Bournemouth

Submitted: 13/03/2014 10:05:36 | ID: 62730

Nick Lee, Malaysia

Peugeot 308 2010

Hi guys, my Peugeot 308 turbo seems like it`s running out of battery very fast. Every 6 months the battery is nearly dead. It`s really annoying. Is anybody facing the same problem? (1.6 turbo)

Submitted: 07/03/2014 08:53:42 | ID: 62618

Theo Powell, England

Peugeot 308 2012

Hi. I have jut brought a Peugeot 308 HDI (2013) but whenever I put in a usb (because it has no disc slot ) and all the music is synced onto the memory stick (usb), all`s fine and it goes through the music but halfway through the last album it pops up saying "Error, disc unreadable". Any ideas how to sort out this problem please?

Submitted: 03/03/2014 12:35:29 | ID: 66974

Clive Noakes, Lancashire

Peugeot 308 2009

My Peugeot 308`s doors lock as soon as you close the driver`s door. The key lock works okay to open and lock. What should I do?

There is a feature on the 308 where it automatically puts the central locking on when the car exceeds approx 5mph, check out your hand book on how to turn it off. Mick from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 24/02/2014 12:39:49 | ID: 62324

John Forbes, Cheshire

Peugeot 308 2010

What is the name of the type of gear box on a Peugeot 308 automatic, which adjusts the timing of gear changes to the driver’s style of driving and how does it operate?

The 6 speed Electronic Gear Change (EGC). Mick Toms from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 24/02/2014 11:55:37 | ID: 62130

Steve Davies, Swansea

Peugeot 308 2011

My Peugeot 308 is pinking when cold and today I had loss of power but the engine management light did not come on. Any suggestions please?

I had the same issue twice. I took it back to the dealer as it was still under warranty and they did what they called a forced regeneration on it. It’s all good now. No issues. Dan from England

Submitted: 18/02/2014 14:35:31 | ID: 62147

Kelly Thompson, Leicestershire

Peugeot 308 2008

My beloved Peugeot 308 has a very irritating fault! The gearbox warning light almost always comes on after about one km from a cold start. I stop the motor and restart and the light does not come on again that day. If I rev the car for 2-3 minutes before setting off, I can almost always avoid the warning. Clearly there is not actually anything wrong with the gearbox. I have Googled around and found blogs with similar complaints but no-one can say what the problem is or how to fix it. It’s done about 40K and I was hoping this would go away with a major service, but it hasn’t. Can anyone give me some advice please? (Auto)

Submitted: 14/02/2014 10:14:57 | ID: 62072