PEUGEOT 308 questions and answers

PEUGEOT 308

Ask and answer questions on a variety of PEUGEOT 308 models. Help and advice on everything PEUGEOT 308. Feel free to ask and answer as many PEUGEOT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest PEUGEOT 308 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Katie T, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot 308 2009

Hi. I have just purchased a Peugeot 308vti petrol. Could anyone tell me if this car has a clutch cable or hydraulic clutch? (1.6 vti petrol)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 14:51:04 | ID: 93937

Colin Fisher, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot 308 2009

If I do a constant speed in my Peugeot 308, even 70 mph, the gearbox drops a few hundred revs then goes straight back to normal revs. The change can be felt like a gear change. Any ideas anyone? (SE)

Submitted: 03/04/2014 09:52:44 | ID: 93823

Graeme Hollyhead, England

Peugeot 308 2008

I have noticed a swishing sound coming from my Peugeot 308`s n/side back door. I have found a screw on the underside of the door so I took it out of the door panel and around 5 pints of water came out of my door. Has anyone got any thoughts on how it`s getting in the door?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 09:05:30 | ID: 93688

Elizabeth Bright, England

Peugeot 308 2010

I have a Peugeot 308. When more than one passenger is in the car the inside windows mist up and visibility is poor all round. What can I do about this please?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 11:21:33 | ID: 93632

Sharon Holloway, Derbyshire

Peugeot 308 2008

My Peugeot 308 suddenly won’t turn over to start and a message shows up saying electronic anti-theft faulty. Does anyone have any idea what this means and how to rectify this? Thanks in advance. (SE 120 4C5FWC)

It might be a problem with the key’s electronic chip. Ahmed Refaat from Egypt

Submitted: 14/03/2014 12:48:17 | ID: 62822

David George, France

Peugeot 308 2007

I have a used Peugeot 308 November 2007 model premium pack thp 150. On the display screen I can`t see the bluetooth icon, it might be because it`s not provided in this model, aux input for music. I found 2 jack sockets in the glovebox whick are working fine with my iphone but I haven`t found the usb input anywhere for music? Can anyone tell me is there usb input provided in this model, where is its location and in the glovebox there is round moving plastic which looks like bottom back of a speaker. I don`t understand what that is?

I have a Peugeot 407 and I have a USB connection in the centre consol storage bin. The round thing you describe in the glove box is a disc to allow cold air to enter the glove box to make it like a chiller Douglas Cunningham from Renfrewshire

Submitted: 13/03/2014 14:55:10 | ID: 62800

Trudi Ludlow, Bedfordshire

Peugeot 308 2008

I have a Peugeot 308 and the engine fan is still on at least 5 minutes after switching the engine off. I ran out of petrol and called green flag, I don’t know what he did but the fan problem started after he had looked at it. I recalled them and someone came out and re-set something, he turned the engine on and off and it seemed to clear it. About an hour later I drove home only 5 miles and when I got home the fan kicked in and stayed on at least 5 minutes. The same happened this morning. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 13/03/2014 10:05:36 | ID: 62730

Nick Lee, Malaysia

Peugeot 308 2010

Hi guys, my Peugeot 308 turbo seems like it`s running out of battery very fast. Every 6 months the battery is nearly dead. It`s really annoying. Is anybody facing the same problem? (1.6 turbo)

Submitted: 07/03/2014 08:53:42 | ID: 62618

Theo Powell, England

Peugeot 308 2012

Hi. I have jut brought a Peugeot 308 HDI (2013) but whenever I put in a usb (because it has no disc slot ) and all the music is synced onto the memory stick (usb), all`s fine and it goes through the music but halfway through the last album it pops up saying "Error, disc unreadable". Any ideas how to sort out this problem please?

Submitted: 03/03/2014 12:35:29 | ID: 66974

Clive Noakes, Lancashire

Peugeot 308 2009

My Peugeot 308`s doors lock as soon as you close the driver`s door. The key lock works okay to open and lock. What should I do?

Submitted: 24/02/2014 12:39:49 | ID: 62324

John Forbes, Cheshire

Peugeot 308 2010

What is the name of the type of gear box on a Peugeot 308 automatic, which adjusts the timing of gear changes to the driver’s style of driving and how does it operate?

The 6 speed Electronic Gear Change (EGC). Mick Toms from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 24/02/2014 11:55:37 | ID: 62130

Steve Davies, Swansea

Peugeot 308 2011

My Peugeot 308 is pinking when cold and today I had loss of power but the engine management light did not come on. Any suggestions please?

I had the same issue twice. I took it back to the dealer as it was still under warranty and they did what they called a forced regeneration on it. It’s all good now. No issues. Dan from England

Submitted: 18/02/2014 14:35:31 | ID: 62147

Kelly Thompson, Leicestershire

Peugeot 308 2008

My beloved Peugeot 308 has a very irritating fault! The gearbox warning light almost always comes on after about one km from a cold start. I stop the motor and restart and the light does not come on again that day. If I rev the car for 2-3 minutes before setting off, I can almost always avoid the warning. Clearly there is not actually anything wrong with the gearbox. I have Googled around and found blogs with similar complaints but no-one can say what the problem is or how to fix it. It’s done about 40K and I was hoping this would go away with a major service, but it hasn’t. Can anyone give me some advice please? (Auto)

Submitted: 14/02/2014 10:14:57 | ID: 62072

George Bates, England

Peugeot 308 2011

Hello. On my Peugeot 308 I can connect my phone to the Bluetooth which shows successful on both, in the phone and the car. It confirms calls are being made / received / answered on both, but no sound comes from the speakers. I have tried toggling through the options with the source button but that doesn`t seem to want to switch between anything. I am just stuck on the radio. Any ideas? (Envy)

Submitted: 14/02/2014 10:07:05 | ID: 60773

Lisa Nichols, England

Peugeot 308 2008

A recurring intermittent fault light on my Peugeot 308 keeps telling me that my Depollution system is faulty. The car loses power and seems to have no injection of pace, whereas it’s usually quite nippy. The fault light goes away after a few days and the car runs as normal, but there is no rhyme or obvious reason for this. It runs okay for a few weeks and then the fault reappears. I think I know the answer but is a diagnostics check the best thing to get done?

I had the same problem. It turned out to be a major fault with the timing chain. They replaced the chain and most of the timing components under warranty. I have since read about quite a lot of timing chain issues with the Peugeot 308. I think mine is a 2010 model. The guy said that the "depollution system faulty" message can mean quite a lot of different faults. But if your timing chain goes, you'll be up for huge repair costs. So definitely go and get it looked at. Jane from Australia

Submitted: 10/02/2014 12:00:23 | ID: 61870

Simon Smith, Yorkshire

Peugeot 308 2007

Hi, I bought my Peugeot 308 GT a year ago and when I bought it the mirror lights and cigarette charger were not working. The other day the central locking stopped working altogether as well as the interior light, but now the mirror lights and cigarette charger are working! Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Submitted: 06/02/2014 15:39:29 | ID: 61799

Victoria Robinson, Staffordshire

Peugeot 308 2007

Hi. First my Peugeot 308`s front lights went, then the back lights, then the battery died. When we recharged it the window wipers stopped working, I have checked the fuse box but that is okay. Any ideas? (Turbo diesel)

Submitted: 03/02/2014 15:45:50 | ID: 61429

Rachael, Lancashire

Peugeot 308 2008

I just turned my Peugeot 308 on and heard a small popping sound. A few seconds later my car began to really fill with the smell of petrol. I drove home and the fans were on but no warning lights on. Any ideas what this could be?

Submitted: 28/01/2014 12:33:07 | ID: 61422

Armin Hazrie, Malaysia

Peugeot 308 2010

I`m going to service my Peugeot 308 and need to know how many litres of engine oil do I need for this?

Submitted: 28/01/2014 09:47:53 | ID: 58122

John Jacobs, United States of America

Peugeot 308 2010

How many reverse lights does a 2010 Peugeot 308 THP GTI have please? One or two?

Only one! On your right hand side Armin Hazrie from Malaysia

Submitted: 21/01/2014 09:27:55 | ID: 60014

Sue Smith, England

Peugeot 308 2012

Should the speedo and rev counter dial be lit up on my Peugeot 308 when the headlights are not switched on? If yes, how?

Submitted: 14/01/2014 11:13:17 | ID: 60720

Andrew Hutchinson, Scotland

Peugeot 308 2011

My Peugeot 308`s heater is not blowing out any hot or cold air. Lights are on at the air con button, I`ve changed the fuse but it`s still not working. Any suggestions please?

I’m having exactly the same problem, I even changed the maxi fuse and still nothing. Mine’s a 2010 and I don’t expect to have this problem with a car that’s only 4 years old. Daniel Jordan from Norfolk

Submitted: 09/01/2014 12:50:44 | ID: 60458

Brian Cubley, Berwickshire

Peugeot 308 2010

My Peugeot 308 is taking a long time to warm up and is not even reaching the normal running temperature of 90 degrees. I have also noticed that the fan has stopped coming on when I’ve parked. Can anyone tell me what to do please?

Submitted: 09/01/2014 09:43:52 | ID: 60451

Mary, Ireland

Peugeot 308 2010

Does anyone know how to switch off the automatic door lock on my Peugeot 308? It comes on when you start to move off? (1.6 hdi)

If it has a large display screen on the dash, it may be in the options there. Sometimes if you press and hold the interior door lock button for 5 seconds. That toggles it off and on.  Martin (Master technician 20 + years) from Durham

Submitted: 03/01/2014 12:39:44 | ID: 60240

Dennis Peel, England

Peugeot 308 2009

What are the 2 little round lights at the bottom of the headlights on my Peugeot 308 for and how do you switch them on? Are they day lights?

They are day lights, you can switch them on and off by using the menu button on your radio. Simply press menu and scroll up or down until it reads vehicle configuration, press ok then scroll back or forwards until it reads day time lamps active or inactive. Fezekile from South Africa

Submitted: 03/01/2014 09:29:29 | ID: 60160

Micjael Breslin, Yemen

Peugeot 308 2010

My Peugeot 308 hdi automatic keeps sticking in first gear. I can change gear using the paddles. I have to stop and switch off and restart a few times before the gears operate correctly. Any ideas? Thanks.

Submitted: 31/12/2013 09:40:07 | ID: 87092

Jiunn Lam Ho, Malaysia

Peugeot 308 2010

Hi, my Peugeot 308 turbo has a problem that hasn`t been fixed even though it`s been in to the service centre 8 times. The problem is when the "engine fault needed repair" signal pops up my cooling fan will stop working and a/c will blow hot air. After I`ve driven for a while the signal disappears and it becomes normal, but sometimes this will take a long time. The service centre have already changed many things like fan control, water pump and fuse box. Has anyone had the same problem please and can give me some suggestions? Thanks.

Submitted: 20/12/2013 11:50:34 | ID: 59532

Dave Terry, England

Peugeot 308 2008

I have got a Peugeot 308 hdi. How do I trip the mileage? I need to see what mpg I`m doing?

Submitted: 16/12/2013 10:54:36 | ID: 59242

Foo Alvin, Singapore

Peugeot 308 2008

Hi, I`m unable to control the air con temperature at all in my Peugeot 308 after changing a new compressor. What could be the possible cause please?

Hi Foo Alvin. Did you find a solution for your problem? I am facing the same issue. I took my car to a service station and they don’t know what to do. I would appreciate your advice. Christopher Gintner from United Arab Emirates

Submitted: 03/12/2013 16:16:20 | ID: 58717

Keith Richardson, Dorset

Peugeot 308 2009

I cannot for the life of me see how to remove the battery cover on my Peugeot 308? According to the manual it says:- Remove battery cover, then unclip fuse cover to remove battery, but I cannot see how this is done? (diesel 1.6)

Submitted: 25/11/2013 12:29:03 | ID: 58584

Matt, Cheshire

Peugeot 308 2008

When I put my windscreen frost protector on my Peugeot 308 water has leaked in and down the door during heavy rain. (I am expecting the ice to hit imminently but so far I have just had rain). I`m not sure why this is happening as the door doesn’t appear to leak without it? Can a cover such as this cause the door seal to fault so easily? (HDI 3 door)

Submitted: 21/11/2013 12:43:48 | ID: 58221

Kevin Marjoram, Berkshire

Peugeot 308 2008

My Peugeot 308 has no audio sound when I leave the lights on or when leaving the keys in the ignition. Could this be a fuse? (1.6 diesel)

It is activated by the door mechanism, try flicking the interior door handle when you open the door. You will have to take the door panel off and lubricate the mechanism. Aubrey Sharman from England

Submitted: 19/11/2013 12:01:30 | ID: 58046

N Knight, Kent

Peugeot 308 2008

I was driving my Peugeot 308 normally, no problem, when the engine management light came on, followed by ’depollution system fault’. The car lost power. It restarted but the same problem continues to happen. It`s a 58 plate, done 42k miles, during the last 18 months it`s done 10k miles. Could this simply be a filter problem? (1.6 HDi FAP Sport)

Hi, did you find out what the problem was as the same thing is happening to mine? Allan A from England

I had the same problem with a 308, 08 plate. I took it to the Peugeot dealer and they removed the cam cover to check the camshaft dephaser caps. They found the caps to be badly scored and so required a complete cylinder head assembly. It cost me £240 to be told this and £2,900 to replace. I spoke to a friend who has a garage and he spoke to a Peugeot technician who he knows. The technician told him it is alledgedly a manufacturing fault, but Peugeot will not admit liabiliy. Steve from Lancashire

This seems to be a common problem and after doing research, seems no-one appears to know the right answer. Very annoying though. Mine is the same as yours. Have had diagnostic tests and been to garage, but it still appears! My 3rd and last Peugeot. Tracy Johnson from England

Submitted: 18/11/2013 16:11:03 | ID: 58052

Carl Johnson, South Africa

Peugeot 308 2008

I just got my Peugeot 308 today from the dealership. I drove it off the floor at the dealership and immediately got depolluting system faulty on the onboard computer. The car feels sluggish and when switching it off, the fan runs for 5 minutes. Also the engine light is permanently on. Any help please? (1.6 XT turbo)

This means one of a load of sensors has detected something out of normal limits and (can) put it into restricted power mode. I had this with my 207 and 308. The dealer needs to investigate, it could be anything. In my 308 it turned out to be a kinked vacuum hose! Dave Plumb from England

I had the same problem and I changed the filters and nothing happened, so I changed the spark plugs and all was ok no more light. Andy Charman from England

Submitted: 18/11/2013 10:27:01 | ID: 57991

Sharon Tyner, Cardiff

Peugeot 308 2007

When I was driving my Peugeot 308 home last night it cut out as I approached a junction. It restarted with no problem at all but then the anti pollution faulty warning came on. I got the rest of the way home but when I turned the ignition off the cooling fan came on and stayed on for about 10 minutes, although the temperature was normal. When I started the car this morning the cooling fan came on immediately and again stayed on for about 15 minutes after I turned the engine off. Any ideas please?

I have just had the same thing happen to me and I have to say I was quite scared! Faulty anti pollution came up as I got home, turned the engine off but the fan kept running for about 10 mins... Low oil message also came up so I’m going to check the oil Shafaath Zeb from Lancashire

Did you find an answer? If so what was the solution please? Andy Chcrman from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 11/11/2013 14:07:04 | ID: 57620

Mark Gamberini, Buckinghamshire

Peugeot 308 2008

My Peugeot 308 has an AUX port in the glove box. However, when I connect my mp3 device nothing happens. I’ve pressed the source button as well but still get nothing. Am I missing something? Any ideas please?

Select AUX on the instument stalk (bottom right stalk for me on my 308 GT 57 plate). As MP3 is condensed format you’ll likely need full volume on the MP3 device and 20+ on the car stereo settings to hear anything. That should fix it. Greg White from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 11/11/2013 14:05:00 | ID: 57637

Philip, England

Peugeot 308 2010

On the computer screen my Peugeot 308 shows the temperature ,time and date. I`m having a problem with the mileage for fuel as it stays on 9999 miles till the fuel runs out. Somehow that’s not right? Does anyone know how to change it back to normal settings?

Submitted: 11/11/2013 10:34:42 | ID: 57609

Teresa O`Donovan, Ireland

Peugeot 308 2010

Hi. Just recently I purchased a Peugeot 308 hdi 1.6 diesel and a rotten egg smell was coming out of the air duct once the fan was turned on. It doesn’t always happen but now every time I turn on the window washer the foul smell comes into the car through the duct. I had it back to the garage for the original issue when I thought it may have been a cat’ converter issue and they said that was okay and put a cleaning agent into the a/c system. I just wondered if anyone has any ideas before I go back to the garage, as they tried to tell me it was more than likely bacteria in the ducting system previously? Thanks.

Hi, just thought I’d let you know the outcome of this issue. They removed the water washer container & found a build up of windscreen cleaning blocks at the bottom of it. Apparently the smell was so bad when they opened it up it cleared the garage. They removed the contents & put a liquid cleaning agent in it and flushed the lines. This appears to have sorted the issue. Hope this may be of some help for someone in the future if not just a starting point. Thanks Teresa O’Donovan from Ireland

Submitted: 07/11/2013 11:21:30 | ID: 57480

Pete Chambers, Derbyshire

Peugeot 308 2010

My Peugeot 308`s Usb and bluetooth are not working. They both worked up until last week. I checked the fuses but no joy. It won`t find phones and the usb seems dead, there`s no light on the stick. Any ideas? (sport)

Submitted: 05/11/2013 12:40:37 | ID: 57406

Dan, Hampshire

Peugeot 308 2008

My Peugeot 308 is not an import so it is a right hand drive but I’ve noticed that the front wipers are set up for a left hand drive, so I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to change them round? Thanks. (2.0 Hdi SE)

Submitted: 04/11/2013 09:25:24 | ID: 53249