PEUGEOT 306 questions and answers: Page 3

PEUGEOT 306

Ask and answer questions on a variety of PEUGEOT 306 models. Help and advice on everything PEUGEOT 306. Feel free to ask and answer as many PEUGEOT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest PEUGEOT 306 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Dawn, Yorkshire

Peugeot 306 2003

I have started my Peugeot 306 HDI today and there is a rattling noise coming from the engine I think it may be the fan belt. Any ideas?

Submitted: 12/04/2012 16:25:00 | ID: 80300

George Augustine, Oman

Peugeot 306 2002

My Peugeot 306 2002 model 1.6. petrol Automatic cuts off while I am driving. I have noticed that the speedometer is not working whenever the car cuts off. All of the lights in the instrument panel light up at this time, (the yellow and red lights and the stop light). If I switch off and restart the car it starts running as if nothing had ever happened .I travel 100 kilometers every day and this problem does not occur every day. The speedometer is inconsistent and sometimes rests on the zero while the car is running and wakes up to work all of a sudden. Every time the engine cuts off the speedometer is found to be not working. Any suggestions please?

Hey, have you sorted this yet? My car does exactly the same - it’s driving me wild! I am going to get the vehicle speed sensor changed to see if it is that as no mechanic seems to want to help. I just wondered if you could help me as the symptoms are identical Gemma from Somerset

I had the vss replaced and so far it has been fine, fingers crossed Gemma Thomas from England

I’ve had similar issues with my car cutting out and the lights doing the same thing, then it starts working as if nothing has happened. It has been doing it at any speed and any temperature and started a few weeks ago. My garage  are stumped at the problem and are just as frustrated as I am. I have looked at lots of forums for all makes of car and the "fuel pump relay" seems to crop up quite a lot as a possible solution to this type of problem at a low cost. (My dizzy unit and coil pack were replaced last year and checked and ruled out) I have just ordered a replacement relay for my car so I’m hoping this will sort the problem Grant Taylor from Wiltshire

As an update to my previous reply. My car cut out & totally died last week, then had to be towed to local garage. Anyway, they found the problem to be the crank sensor. Even with the car totally dead, it still didn’t send any message to the management system as a possible cause & this is where most garages leave it to scratch their heads. Crank sensor was replaced & the car fired right up with no problem & has been all good since Grant Taylor from Wiltshire

I had the same problem with my 306. It’s definitely the speed sensor kb from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 10/04/2012 16:31:52 | ID: 78985

George Augustine, Oman

Peugeot 306 2002

Help please. My Peugeot 306 (2002 model, 1.6. petrol, automatic) cuts off while I am driving. I have noticed that the speedometer is not working when ever the car cuts off. All the lights in the instrument panel light up at this time (the yellow, red lights and the stop light). If I switch off and restarts the car starts running as if nothing ever happened. I travel 100 kilometers every day and this problem does not occur everyday. The speedometer is inconsistent and sometimes rests on the zero while the car is running and wakes up to work all of a sudden. Every time the engine cuts off, the speedometer is found to be not working. Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 04/04/2012 09:16:21 | ID: 78759

Janet, Lanarkshire

Peugeot 306 1997

My d turbo will start no problem first time but after I have driven around and parked it wont start again until the engine is cold, it just clicks and doesn’t even try to start. Why?

I have also a Tigra TwinTop, and had the same problem. The problem is the drainage below the wipers. The compartment which includes the batteries (and some electronics), has a poor drainage. If you keep the drains open, the problem is solved. :) Errie from Netherlands

Submitted: 02/04/2012 09:51:22 | ID: 78663

Steve, England

Peugeot 306 1999

Any idea what makes the Peugeot 306 rear suspension low, and what I need to do to sort it out? Do I need to replace the whole rear axle? It’s a Peugeot 306 1.4L on a R-plate.

Submitted: 09/03/2012 14:41:52 | ID: 83168

John Taylor, England

Peugeot 306 2001

My Peugeot 306’s speedometer goes down to zero sometimes, with a slight loss of power. It lasts about a minute then goes back to normal. Also the revs seem a little out. Has anyone else experienced this? (hdi)

Can you please tell me the Kuwait authorized dealership for the Peugeot 206? Xav Vin from Kuwait

Change the diesel filter, possible there is water Choukri Kayal from France

I have had the same problem for the last year. The rev counter will continue to register, but the speedometer will drop and stay at zero, sometimes for up to 30 seconds, sometimes just briefly. Yes, and the power dips at the same time, but still drives. I regularly remove the water from the fuel filter housing but this does not cure it. I’ll try a new fuel filter sometime. Please let us know if you cure the problem Steve from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 08/03/2012 09:05:56 | ID: 83037

Jamea, Lanarkshire

Peugeot 306 1998

The windscreen wipers on my Peugeot 306 have stopped working, so I checked the fuse. It was blown, so I changed the fuse only for it to blow again. Any help would be great.

Possibly a faulty wiper motor Choukri Kayal from France

Put a bigger fuse in Mark from England

Hi, may be the wiper motor gone or wiring problem. Don’t replace the fuse by a bigger one, not ok. I can solve it for you, I’m an electrician, thanks Eric Labour from England

Submitted: 06/03/2012 15:33:04 | ID: 82381

Colin, England

Peugeot 306 2002

Hi there, I’d appreciate any help please. Okay, here goes. I have a 306 diesel estate, since I’ve owned the car, when I turn the key it makes a clicking noise for about 10 seconds or so, then starts. But today it won’t start, even though it is still clicking, the central locking key fob doesn’t work so I have to lock/unlock by key. I’m thinking it’s a relay switch? Does anybody know where it is or can I change fuse etc... Many thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Submitted: 06/03/2012 08:42:39 | ID: 82306

Daren Parsley, England

Peugeot 306 2002

I have just bought a 306 estate, 02 plate. I am hearing knocking from front passenger side and a squeak. I checked the steering and all seems OK. I thought it might be brake calliper sticking. It’s been sitting around for ages, can anyone help please? Thanks.

One hour ago I just finished lubricating the stabilizers of my son’s 306, and the result was fine, just a little hole in the rubber cover of the balljoint (balljoint of the stabilizer) and put some oil in each ball... both sides Choukri Kayal from France

Submitted: 05/03/2012 17:31:00 | ID: 82300

Mohammed Al-Ani, Iraq

Peugeot 306 2001

Hi, I have a Peugeot 306 and the temperature gauge is always above 90 degrees. Everything is fine: coolant level, water pump, radiator, pipes and coolant fans. I need to lower this high temperature to 70 degrees. Can I have a coolant temperature sensor that works at 70 degrees instead of 100 degrees? Please help me...

What you need is to change your thermostat with a new one where you can read on it 75degrees [a small 0 on the top of 75 Choukri Kayal from France

I forget to tell you that in case changing the thermo. Did not work as good as you want, then you need to change the electric sensor which gives order to the electric fan to work Choukrik Kayal from France

Submitted: 21/02/2012 14:54:45 | ID: 79907

Samantha, Suffolk

Peugeot 306 1996

Just found a lovely 306 in my price range. The only problem I have is that I have 3 children. Would you be able to fit 3 car seats in the back? Thanks in advance for your help.

Submitted: 20/02/2012 14:09:50 | ID: 79072

Ash Hunter, Surrey

Peugeot 306 1999

My Peugeot 306 has stood idle for over a year. I had to jump start the vehicle. Once it had started, I took it for a 2.6 mile spin. I came back, switched off and had to jump it again? When I got home 2.6 miles from pick up, switched off, and again, was dead? I swapped the battery with a "smaller" Vauxhall battery, it started. When I switched off, it was dead. The Vauxhall battery was in perfect working order. Peugeot battery in Vauxhall was completely flat, not even dash lights or slight turn in engine. I put Vauxhall battery into Vauxhall, after tightening terminals it started with slight encouragement. What is the issue here... is there a dead short? Or is the alternator faulty? Or do I need a new same size battery for Peugeot?

Did you clean the battery terminals? Choukri Kayal from France

Submitted: 17/02/2012 15:58:11 | ID: 79023

James Steele, Scotland

Peugeot 306 2000

I have a W reg 306 Meridian and only 2 of the wheel nuts tighten on the nearside rear wheel. What part do I require to solve this problem? Thanks.

Try using tape die set to rethread bolts. Failing that, new back hub, it has four bolts holding it on at back hub Rab from Scotland

Submitted: 16/02/2012 11:08:08 | ID: 78796

Iain Taylor, Herefordshire

Peugeot 306 2001

The fuel gauge, oil level gauge on start-up, clock and central locking are not working and the vehicle will not start. Fuse No 6, 5 amp, keeps blowing. Is it a short or is there another reason why it won’t start etc..? (cc petrol 2-litre)

Hi, fuse 6 controls fuel, oil, RPMs and central locking. Had the same problem. You need to check the wiring, there is faulty grounding somewhere Kester Stephen from Trinidad and Tobago

Submitted: 14/02/2012 08:00:20 | ID: 78498

Kirsty, Essex

Peugeot 306 1999

Hi, can anyone help? I have a Peugeot 306 but it broke down the other day. I called the RAC and was told it could be the fuel pump. Does anyone know how much this will cost or if I could fix it myself. I’m considering selling it as I can’t get to garage for them to check the problem. Can anyone give any help or advice, thanks.

Submitted: 13/02/2012 08:16:22 | ID: 75830

Chris Watson, England

Peugeot 306 1997

When I indicate, my indicators flash at double time. I have changed all bulbs but this seems not to have cured the problem. Any solutions? Many thanks.

Just had that on our 306 and turns out to be the connections at the indicator stalk Richie and Corrina and Codey from England

Submitted: 08/02/2012 08:53:10 | ID: 75358

Ricky Copper, England

Peugeot 306 2001

At a stand still the oil gauge on my Peugeot 306 gets very hot, very quickly? It’s rather worrying. Does anyone know why this might be? Is my fan not kicking in do you think?

Submitted: 01/02/2012 13:43:45 | ID: 74313

Alastair Barnie, Cornwall

Peugeot 306 1999

My Peugeot 306’s starter frequently sticks and I have to push or tow start it. Jump leads do not work but it starts first bump on a push or tow. Do I need a new starter motor or can you suggest a fix? Also I have an intermittent fast idle problem. When I lift the throttle to slow or change gear, the engine does not idle and just stops. I have checked and cleaned throttle body but it still cuts out. What do you suggest? (1.8 petrol)

Almost certainly the Idle Control Valve stuck. This is held onto the throttle body by two small bolts, removing the throttle cable allows better access. Remove the Idle Control Valve and clean or soak in WD40. This fixed mine but if it doesn’t work fit a replacement Idle Control Valve Chris Egleton from Sussex

Submitted: 31/01/2012 11:32:13 | ID: 73194

Jamie Ball, England

Peugeot 306 1993

I am having problems with my Peugeot 306 holding back and occasionally surging forward. It is a diesel 306 1.9d on a ’L’ plate. Also, if I have gone round a big roundabout it has cut out but restarted. What could be the problem?

Get the oxygen sensor cleaned and have the ECU reset. Should be no more than £150 Gary Clarke from England

These don’t have ECUs to ’reset’! Tom Parker from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 30/01/2012 20:17:39 | ID: 74904

George Davis, England

Peugeot 306 1999

How easy is it to change a starter motor on a Peugeot 306 1.4? (xl)

Submitted: 30/01/2012 20:10:04 | ID: 71782

Derek Kattah, Kent

Peugeot 306 1999

My brake fluid is using up fast and when it does the car does not brake as it should. In the last 10 days I have filled it twice. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem?

If you have drums on the back, it’s possibly a wheel cylinder leaking Mike from Bedfordshire

Could be many things, but most likely to be rear wheel brake cylinders (assuming you have drums on rear?). These cars are legendary for this failure and you won’t know what to buy until you take the drums off. There are two different suppliers of components, Bendix and Girling. If this is the case, you will need brake shoes too. Judging by fluid lost the inside of the rear wheel/s will be oily. Visually check flexible hoses too. If you have allowed the fluid level in the reservoir to get too low, there will be air in the system which makes for very poor braking! Hope this helps Dave from Hampshire

Submitted: 30/01/2012 19:59:20 | ID: 74908

James Walton, Shropshire

Peugeot 306 2000

Good evening, slight issue with my 306 hdi. Drove the car to do a shop, everything was working perfectly (no warning lights present, nor strange/unusual issues), finished the shop around 20mins later and the car wouldn’t fire up. Battery is fine, it does turn over and splutter but just wont start and idle, checked all the fuses and connection. Undid the no.3 cylinder fuel rail a little bit and cranked it over to see if I was getting fuel pressure - must admit it was pretty weak. I’m kinda thinking its a fuel pressure related problem as it’s been working 100% since I’ve had it. Any comments/feedback are very welcome! Thanks. (HDI Lx)

The hdi is prone for the in tank fuel pump to just die. They tend to destruct and usually fill the high pressure pump with debris. Disconnect the fuel line going into the high pressure pump (engine) and turn on the ignition. If you don’t get a good squirt of diesel that’s most likely your problem. Check the filter also as if there’s metal fragments in it chances are you will need both pumps. A good engine let down by the components. Typically french! Horatio McBlythe from Derbyshire

Submitted: 22/01/2012 10:42:03 | ID: 72935

Kevin, Sussex

Peugeot 306 1995

Hi. My Peugeot 306 is not starting after charging battery. New starter motor fitted. All I’m getting is clicking from a relay? Any ideas. Thanks.

Is the clicking noise a quick click click when turning the key? If so, check the earth connections on the gearbox that go to the battery as this happened on a previous 306 Craig Webber from Swansea

Hi, check if the power from ign switch to relay, relay to startor is okay, otherwise contact me. Im an electrician, thanks Eric from Sussex

Submitted: 22/01/2012 10:12:04 | ID: 72513

Dan Morrison, Lincolnshire

Peugeot 306 1997

My mother has a Peugeot 306 1.9d (non turbo). For whatever reason she had the immobiliser removed/switched off but ever since then the car seems to be in some kind of safe mode!! I have driven it myself, in 1st and 2nd gear it just wont pull as it should to the point it’s dangerous at junctions and it wont go over 59mph (OK, not an issue but not right). Some people are saying it;s the fuel pump and must of been knocked or something but nobody can give any real clue as to what the problem is... Can anybody give any clues as to what it could be? Any replies would be appreciated, thanks in advance. (1.9d)

Submitted: 21/01/2012 23:18:35 | ID: 72565

Ben McMonagle, Hampshire

Peugeot 306 1992

Hi. My Peugeot 306’s immobiliser has come on and I’m unable to turn it off. My key fob is no longer working so I can’t turn it off this way. Are they any other ways of doing it? Cheers!

Submitted: 16/01/2012 09:04:22 | ID: 83353

Satbir Badden, Bedfordshire

Peugeot 306 1995

My Peugeot 306’s heater is blowing out warm air and when moving it gets warmer and at stand still it gets cooler. It is warmer on the number 1 setting and as I switch it higher I get cold air coming out. Can anyone help explain what the problem might be?

Submitted: 11/01/2012 09:05:09 | ID: 70335

Susan, Essex

Peugeot 306 1999

My Peugeot 306 is automatic but the gear lights for s and * keep flashing. I can’t find an answer anywhere. What’s happening to my car?

Faulty transmission Kester Stephen from Trinidad and Tobago

Submitted: 22/12/2011 08:36:38 | ID: 73427

Matthew Pery, Somerset

Peugeot 306 1996

I was driving my Peugeot 306 when the oil light came on after about 2 miles. Then it just stopped and it won’t start again and sounds different when turned over and is leaking oil badly. Can anyone please help or advise?

Firstly, you should never drive with the oil light on. You should stop the engine immediately and find the problem. The light means no/low oil pressure. If you have driven it for 2 miles with the light on and you now have oil leaking when cranking, it sounds like you have seized it and possibly thrown a rod. Sounds like your engine is scrap Col Ryan from Berkshire

Submitted: 20/12/2011 15:50:16 | ID: 80974

John Folliott, Wales

Peugeot 306 2006

My Peugeot 306’s dipped lights come on but very very weakly. The full beam is a-OK and so are all the other lights. The dip/full change registers on dashboard. I have no idea what it could be, as bulbs seem to be OK but dim. Has anyone any ideas? Thanks in advance. (HD)

Submitted: 20/12/2011 11:34:55 | ID: 80749

Hasan, Isle of Anglesey

Peugeot 306 2001

What is fault code 130 for a Peugeot 306 2001 nft automatic transmission?

If the code is 0130, it means o2 sensor circuit mulfunction Choukri Kayal from France

Submitted: 19/12/2011 14:45:03 | ID: 80764

Gill, England

Peugeot 306 1999

I changed the key casing for a new one and since pressing deadlock button the car won’t start, please help.

Submitted: 12/12/2011 13:24:24 | ID: 79609

Michael Cull, Dorset

Peugeot 306 1997

What relay controls the low beam on a Peugeot 306? I read that the relay has a resistor. Well, I have 3 relays and they all have a resistor inside, but the all have different colour covers: Black, orange and white. Is it one of these or is it one of the green relays or the brown? All fuses are OK and full beam is OK. Since low beam has stopped working I have noticed that the horn stopped as well. I hope someone can help.

Submitted: 09/12/2011 11:38:14 | ID: 79393

Ruskin Hollingsworth, Trinidad and Tobago

Peugeot 306 1995

I recently drove my Peugeot 306 to the car wash and after washing it the car wouldn’t drive. Has anybody else experienced this? (SR)

Submitted: 23/11/2011 09:02:06 | ID: 73926

Mark Colmer, England

Peugeot 306 1998

The petrol gauge on my Peugeot 306 is not working. How can I fix it my self?

Get a new set of clocks of ebay etc as they are a well known fault across all of the 90s Peugeot range Horatio McBlythe from Derbyshire

Submitted: 22/11/2011 10:42:14 | ID: 84580

Ellen Ryles, Leicestershire

Peugeot 306 2001

Just changed the battery in my key fob and followed instructions to re programme but can’t seem to get it working. It’s the key fob with two buttons and no infra red bulb on it. I tried the same with spare - any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Submitted: 18/11/2011 08:33:37 | ID: 73303

Jane Mason, Leicestershire

Peugeot 306 1998

Hi. I just passed my test and have a Peugeot 306 as my first car. I’m having some serious issues getting used to manoeuvring it, especially parking, as I can’t really see the floor in my wing mirrors when they’re set up to see the road behind. Does anyone have any pointers on reference points I could use to help me? Thanks.

Submitted: 16/11/2011 15:52:11 | ID: 72267

Julie Coles, Gloucestershire

Peugeot 306 1997

Where can I get details of relay switches? I have checked fuses but all are OK. No fuel, rev counter or speedo, cigarette lighter... Please help as need to know which relay needs changing. Thank you.

Pull the main fuse, its under the dash and looks out of place compared to the others. Wait a minute or so and replace it. It’s usually static that causes this Robbie from England

Submitted: 31/10/2011 14:38:00 | ID: 84143

Phillip Thickett, Swansea

Peugeot 306 2000

On my Peugeot 306, the fan is still running even after being turned off. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Submitted: 27/10/2011 08:08:13 | ID: 83851

Dean Bartley, England

Peugeot 306 2000

The key fob on my Peugeot 306 has stopped working all of a sudden. I’ve changed the battery but it is still not working. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 26/10/2011 10:16:06 | ID: 83290

Rashid, London

Peugeot 306 2000

Hi, I have a Peugeot 306 1.6-litre automatic and when I drive the car on the motorway, at over 70 miles and hour, it is prone to over-heating. What should I do? Thank you.

Don’t worry about it, the speed limit is 70mph so you should not be driving any faster Michael from Northamptonshire

Submitted: 26/10/2011 09:31:40 | ID: 83936