PEUGEOT 306 questions and answers: Page 3

PEUGEOT 306

Ask and answer questions on a variety of PEUGEOT 306 models. Help and advice on everything PEUGEOT 306. Feel free to ask and answer as many PEUGEOT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest PEUGEOT 306 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

James Steele, Scotland

Peugeot 306 2000

I have a W reg 306 Meridian and only 2 of the wheel nuts tighten on the nearside rear wheel. What part do I require to solve this problem? Thanks.

Try using tape die set to rethread bolts. Failing that, new back hub, it has four bolts holding it on at back hub Rab from Scotland

Submitted: 16/02/2012 11:08:08 | ID: 78796

Iain Taylor, Herefordshire

Peugeot 306 2001

The fuel gauge, oil level gauge on start-up, clock and central locking are not working and the vehicle will not start. Fuse No 6, 5 amp, keeps blowing. Is it a short or is there another reason why it won’t start etc..? (cc petrol 2-litre)

Hi, fuse 6 controls fuel, oil, RPMs and central locking. Had the same problem. You need to check the wiring, there is faulty grounding somewhere Kester Stephen from Trinidad and Tobago

Submitted: 14/02/2012 08:00:20 | ID: 78498

Kirsty, Essex

Peugeot 306 1999

Hi, can anyone help? I have a Peugeot 306 but it broke down the other day. I called the RAC and was told it could be the fuel pump. Does anyone know how much this will cost or if I could fix it myself. I’m considering selling it as I can’t get to garage for them to check the problem. Can anyone give any help or advice, thanks.

Submitted: 13/02/2012 08:16:22 | ID: 75830

Chris Watson, England

Peugeot 306 1997

When I indicate, my indicators flash at double time. I have changed all bulbs but this seems not to have cured the problem. Any solutions? Many thanks.

Just had that on our 306 and turns out to be the connections at the indicator stalk Richie and Corrina and Codey from England

Submitted: 08/02/2012 08:53:10 | ID: 75358

Ricky Copper, England

Peugeot 306 2001

At a stand still the oil gauge on my Peugeot 306 gets very hot, very quickly? It’s rather worrying. Does anyone know why this might be? Is my fan not kicking in do you think?

Submitted: 01/02/2012 13:43:45 | ID: 74313

Alastair Barnie, Cornwall

Peugeot 306 1999

My Peugeot 306’s starter frequently sticks and I have to push or tow start it. Jump leads do not work but it starts first bump on a push or tow. Do I need a new starter motor or can you suggest a fix? Also I have an intermittent fast idle problem. When I lift the throttle to slow or change gear, the engine does not idle and just stops. I have checked and cleaned throttle body but it still cuts out. What do you suggest? (1.8 petrol)

Almost certainly the Idle Control Valve stuck. This is held onto the throttle body by two small bolts, removing the throttle cable allows better access. Remove the Idle Control Valve and clean or soak in WD40. This fixed mine but if it doesn’t work fit a replacement Idle Control Valve Chris Egleton from Sussex

Submitted: 31/01/2012 11:32:13 | ID: 73194

Jamie Ball, England

Peugeot 306 1993

I am having problems with my Peugeot 306 holding back and occasionally surging forward. It is a diesel 306 1.9d on a ’L’ plate. Also, if I have gone round a big roundabout it has cut out but restarted. What could be the problem?

Get the oxygen sensor cleaned and have the ECU reset. Should be no more than £150 Gary Clarke from England

These don’t have ECUs to ’reset’! Tom Parker from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 30/01/2012 20:17:39 | ID: 74904

George Davis, England

Peugeot 306 1999

How easy is it to change a starter motor on a Peugeot 306 1.4? (xl)

Submitted: 30/01/2012 20:10:04 | ID: 71782

Derek Kattah, Kent

Peugeot 306 1999

My brake fluid is using up fast and when it does the car does not brake as it should. In the last 10 days I have filled it twice. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem?

If you have drums on the back, it’s possibly a wheel cylinder leaking Mike from Bedfordshire

Could be many things, but most likely to be rear wheel brake cylinders (assuming you have drums on rear?). These cars are legendary for this failure and you won’t know what to buy until you take the drums off. There are two different suppliers of components, Bendix and Girling. If this is the case, you will need brake shoes too. Judging by fluid lost the inside of the rear wheel/s will be oily. Visually check flexible hoses too. If you have allowed the fluid level in the reservoir to get too low, there will be air in the system which makes for very poor braking! Hope this helps Dave from Hampshire

Submitted: 30/01/2012 19:59:20 | ID: 74908

James Walton, Shropshire

Peugeot 306 2000

Good evening, slight issue with my 306 hdi. Drove the car to do a shop, everything was working perfectly (no warning lights present, nor strange/unusual issues), finished the shop around 20mins later and the car wouldn’t fire up. Battery is fine, it does turn over and splutter but just wont start and idle, checked all the fuses and connection. Undid the no.3 cylinder fuel rail a little bit and cranked it over to see if I was getting fuel pressure - must admit it was pretty weak. I’m kinda thinking its a fuel pressure related problem as it’s been working 100% since I’ve had it. Any comments/feedback are very welcome! Thanks. (HDI Lx)

The hdi is prone for the in tank fuel pump to just die. They tend to destruct and usually fill the high pressure pump with debris. Disconnect the fuel line going into the high pressure pump (engine) and turn on the ignition. If you don’t get a good squirt of diesel that’s most likely your problem. Check the filter also as if there’s metal fragments in it chances are you will need both pumps. A good engine let down by the components. Typically french! Horatio McBlythe from Derbyshire

Submitted: 22/01/2012 10:42:03 | ID: 72935

Kevin, Sussex

Peugeot 306 1995

Hi. My Peugeot 306 is not starting after charging battery. New starter motor fitted. All I’m getting is clicking from a relay? Any ideas. Thanks.

Is the clicking noise a quick click click when turning the key? If so, check the earth connections on the gearbox that go to the battery as this happened on a previous 306 Craig Webber from Swansea

Hi, check if the power from ign switch to relay, relay to startor is okay, otherwise contact me. Im an electrician, thanks Eric from Sussex

Submitted: 22/01/2012 10:12:04 | ID: 72513

Dan Morrison, Lincolnshire

Peugeot 306 1997

My mother has a Peugeot 306 1.9d (non turbo). For whatever reason she had the immobiliser removed/switched off but ever since then the car seems to be in some kind of safe mode!! I have driven it myself, in 1st and 2nd gear it just wont pull as it should to the point it’s dangerous at junctions and it wont go over 59mph (OK, not an issue but not right). Some people are saying it;s the fuel pump and must of been knocked or something but nobody can give any real clue as to what the problem is... Can anybody give any clues as to what it could be? Any replies would be appreciated, thanks in advance. (1.9d)

Submitted: 21/01/2012 23:18:35 | ID: 72565

Ben McMonagle, Hampshire

Peugeot 306 1992

Hi. My Peugeot 306’s immobiliser has come on and I’m unable to turn it off. My key fob is no longer working so I can’t turn it off this way. Are they any other ways of doing it? Cheers!

Submitted: 16/01/2012 09:04:22 | ID: 83353

Satbir Badden, Bedfordshire

Peugeot 306 1995

My Peugeot 306’s heater is blowing out warm air and when moving it gets warmer and at stand still it gets cooler. It is warmer on the number 1 setting and as I switch it higher I get cold air coming out. Can anyone help explain what the problem might be?

Submitted: 11/01/2012 09:05:09 | ID: 70335

Susan, Essex

Peugeot 306 1999

My Peugeot 306 is automatic but the gear lights for s and * keep flashing. I can’t find an answer anywhere. What’s happening to my car?

Faulty transmission Kester Stephen from Trinidad and Tobago

Submitted: 22/12/2011 08:36:38 | ID: 73427

Matthew Pery, Somerset

Peugeot 306 1996

I was driving my Peugeot 306 when the oil light came on after about 2 miles. Then it just stopped and it won’t start again and sounds different when turned over and is leaking oil badly. Can anyone please help or advise?

Firstly, you should never drive with the oil light on. You should stop the engine immediately and find the problem. The light means no/low oil pressure. If you have driven it for 2 miles with the light on and you now have oil leaking when cranking, it sounds like you have seized it and possibly thrown a rod. Sounds like your engine is scrap Col Ryan from Berkshire

Submitted: 20/12/2011 15:50:16 | ID: 80974

John Folliott, Wales

Peugeot 306 2006

My Peugeot 306’s dipped lights come on but very very weakly. The full beam is a-OK and so are all the other lights. The dip/full change registers on dashboard. I have no idea what it could be, as bulbs seem to be OK but dim. Has anyone any ideas? Thanks in advance. (HD)

Submitted: 20/12/2011 11:34:55 | ID: 80749

Hasan, Isle of Anglesey

Peugeot 306 2001

What is fault code 130 for a Peugeot 306 2001 nft automatic transmission?

If the code is 0130, it means o2 sensor circuit mulfunction Choukri Kayal from France

Submitted: 19/12/2011 14:45:03 | ID: 80764

Gill, England

Peugeot 306 1999

I changed the key casing for a new one and since pressing deadlock button the car won’t start, please help.

Submitted: 12/12/2011 13:24:24 | ID: 79609

Michael Cull, Dorset

Peugeot 306 1997

What relay controls the low beam on a Peugeot 306? I read that the relay has a resistor. Well, I have 3 relays and they all have a resistor inside, but the all have different colour covers: Black, orange and white. Is it one of these or is it one of the green relays or the brown? All fuses are OK and full beam is OK. Since low beam has stopped working I have noticed that the horn stopped as well. I hope someone can help.

Submitted: 09/12/2011 11:38:14 | ID: 79393

Ruskin Hollingsworth, Trinidad and Tobago

Peugeot 306 1995

I recently drove my Peugeot 306 to the car wash and after washing it the car wouldn’t drive. Has anybody else experienced this? (SR)

Submitted: 23/11/2011 09:02:06 | ID: 73926

Mark Colmer, England

Peugeot 306 1998

The petrol gauge on my Peugeot 306 is not working. How can I fix it my self?

Get a new set of clocks of ebay etc as they are a well known fault across all of the 90s Peugeot range Horatio McBlythe from Derbyshire

Submitted: 22/11/2011 10:42:14 | ID: 84580

Ellen Ryles, Leicestershire

Peugeot 306 2001

Just changed the battery in my key fob and followed instructions to re programme but can’t seem to get it working. It’s the key fob with two buttons and no infra red bulb on it. I tried the same with spare - any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Submitted: 18/11/2011 08:33:37 | ID: 73303

Jane Mason, Leicestershire

Peugeot 306 1998

Hi. I just passed my test and have a Peugeot 306 as my first car. I’m having some serious issues getting used to manoeuvring it, especially parking, as I can’t really see the floor in my wing mirrors when they’re set up to see the road behind. Does anyone have any pointers on reference points I could use to help me? Thanks.

Submitted: 16/11/2011 15:52:11 | ID: 72267

Julie Coles, Gloucestershire

Peugeot 306 1997

Where can I get details of relay switches? I have checked fuses but all are OK. No fuel, rev counter or speedo, cigarette lighter... Please help as need to know which relay needs changing. Thank you.

Pull the main fuse, its under the dash and looks out of place compared to the others. Wait a minute or so and replace it. It’s usually static that causes this Robbie from England

Submitted: 31/10/2011 14:38:00 | ID: 84143

Phillip Thickett, Swansea

Peugeot 306 2000

On my Peugeot 306, the fan is still running even after being turned off. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Submitted: 27/10/2011 08:08:13 | ID: 83851

Dean Bartley, England

Peugeot 306 2000

The key fob on my Peugeot 306 has stopped working all of a sudden. I’ve changed the battery but it is still not working. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 26/10/2011 10:16:06 | ID: 83290

Rashid, London

Peugeot 306 2000

Hi, I have a Peugeot 306 1.6-litre automatic and when I drive the car on the motorway, at over 70 miles and hour, it is prone to over-heating. What should I do? Thank you.

Don’t worry about it, the speed limit is 70mph so you should not be driving any faster Michael from Northamptonshire

Submitted: 26/10/2011 09:31:40 | ID: 83936

Debbie Jones, Devon

Peugeot 306 2000

My airbag light keeps flashing and now there is a strange noise coming from the passenger air bag compartment. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Thanks.

Submitted: 20/10/2011 09:53:10 | ID: 82784

Steven Ward, Yorkshire

Peugeot 306 1998

Hi. Does anyone know where the fuse for the hazard warning light on a 1998 Peugeot 306 is located as I cannot find it. Thank you.

Submitted: 19/10/2011 14:56:56 | ID: 72617

Richard, Surrey

Peugeot 306 1999

Hi, I have a Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel not turbo. I had my cambelt changed the other week and since then when the car is cold, it hunts and judders. I have triple-checked the timing and it is spot on. I have replaced the fuel leak off pipes and rebleed the diesel system but it still happens and there is white smoke. Does anybody have any ideas on what this could be? (1.9d non turbo)

Submitted: 10/10/2011 11:55:32 | ID: 81775

Don Smith, Lancashire

Peugeot 306 2000

I own a 2000 phase 3, 2.0 306 cab and have bought a hard top roof off a 97 Roadster that was being broken. I have a basic removal and fitting guide but I am trying to get hold of the technicians manual which gives instructions on fine tuning and adjustment. Can you help or advise? Thanks. (cabriolet)

Don, I have the same model. If you log on to the Peugeot 306 Cabriolet Club, there are lots of ’User/How To’ guides there. One of which is fitting and removing the Hart Top. Any problems, email stuart.alderson@btinternet.com Stuart Alderson from London

Submitted: 06/10/2011 12:32:35 | ID: 81641

Sharon Teefy, County Antrim

Peugeot 306 2000

My 2000 Peugeot 2L hdi had stalled while I went to overtake a car, does anyone know what this means?

It’s probably not that your car is stalling, there is a limiter on each gear and you have probably put the car in too low a gear for the speed you are doing :) Hope this helps Nicola from County Antrim

It could be a fault with the rear fuel pump. After a good life, they can struggle pumping fuel on hills and/or under pressure. If you notice it again, or it starts to feels juddery occasionally, it probably is Alex Rouse from Devon

Submitted: 21/09/2011 08:49:26 | ID: 84301

Zebe, New Zealand

Peugeot 306 1998

What is the fuel consumption for a 1800cc motor? Thanks.

Submitted: 20/09/2011 09:12:54 | ID: 75128

Connor McCarthy, Hampshire

Peugeot 306 1995

Hi, how do I open the outer fuel flap to fill up?

There is a lever on the floor by the driver’s door, just pull the lever up Linda from Leicestershire

Submitted: 07/09/2011 09:44:37 | ID: 77965

Myles, Suffolk

Peugeot 306 1998

I have damaged the sump and need to remove it to check for further damage to engine etc. I just cannot get the sump off, I have removed all the screws I can find and tried to prise off but no luck. Help!

As long as they are all out including the ones hidden up the side of the bell housing, it’s a case of big pry bar. They use very strong sealant which takes a lot to prise. Start in the rear drivers corner as once it starts to seperate, it will come off quite easily Horatio McBlythe from Derbyshire

Submitted: 22/08/2011 08:58:38 | ID: 77675

Geoffrey Wardill, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Peugeot 306 1999

Just changed ignition barrel but can’t disarm immobiliser. Can anyone help? (5 door hatchback)

If you have changed ignition barrel, I assume you have a different ignition key to go with the barrel. If so, you have to take out transponder out of old key housing and fit into new key housing, it’s a tiny little black thing. You need this as it is programmed to your immobiliser, I also changed one on my girlfriend’s car and had to do this. It WILL work Darren Beamish from Lancashire

Submitted: 28/07/2011 15:38:56 | ID: 69012

Jennie Cooper, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot 306 1996

Hi, my mum has a Peugeot 306. When she went to the petrol station and turned the engine off, the car juddered and white smoke came from the exhaust, then when she got home it happened again. She tried to start it and it wouldn’t, it just set the immobilizer off. She has recently had a head gasket swap and flush out to get rid of the excess rubbish that came from swapping it. Can you let us know if this new problem is serious or if it’s something easy to fix as she is worried about driving the car? Jen x x

Submitted: 16/05/2011 09:52:10 | ID: 79635

Darren, England

Peugeot 306 1999

I have a Peugeot 1999 HDI. When I accelerate the car almost stalls and the handbrake warning light and the abs light both come on but then once my foot is off the pedal it comes back into life. Any ideas?

Check the diesel filter Choukri Kayal from France

Submitted: 11/02/2011 11:46:46 | ID: 79717

Mike Rackley, Berkshire

Peugeot 306 1994

Please can someone help? I had to fit a new battery to my car. I have tried to recode the radio (I have the code number) but after 3 attemps it blocked out on me. I have been told if I leave it on for 2 or 3 hrs it will ask for code again but after 8 hrs it will still not ask for code. Can any one tell me what to do next please?

Submitted: 11/02/2011 10:01:21 | ID: 69770