NISSAN TERRANO questions and answers: Page 4

NISSAN Terrano

Ask and answer questions on a variety of NISSAN TERRANO models. Help and advice on everything NISSAN TERRANO. Feel free to ask and answer as many NISSAN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest NISSAN TERRANO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Vladya Ellis, Yorkshire

Nissan Terrano 2003

My Nissan Terrano drives fine until an hour or two of motorway driving and then the engine violently judders, especially during accelerating or going uphill. When analysed on the computer, there is no fault found. Has anyone any idea what is causing this? (diesel 2953 CC)

I would check the MAF sensor. Also the injectors, and the injector filters (micro filters). And the banjo micro filter. Drain the fuel filter, or better still replace it. My last answer is the most likely the cause of your problems Brian Clark from England

Submitted: 23/10/2012 08:22:52 | ID: 66367

Paul Kulata, Uganda

Nissan Terrano 1999

I have a Nissan Terrano 1999 with a ZD 30 Engine. The Engine fault light doesn`t go off. The diagonistic computer returned error code ECM 2 time 10. What`s this related to? Please help.

Submitted: 22/10/2012 15:12:51 | ID: 66335

David, Hong Kong

Nissan Terrano 2004

What should I pay for a Nissan Terrano 3.0 Diesel "Elegance" Automatic 2005MY registered in Dec 2004 142,000 kms (88,000 miles) on the clock with a full Nissan service history? Is this a good reliable vehicle and is that mileage excessive? (Automatic)

Submitted: 11/10/2012 15:28:41 | ID: 60956

Mark Jones, England

Nissan Terrano 1999

I have a 99 2.7 tdi Nissan Terrano. It’s started playing up by failing to start at all after being run. It was low on fuel so it may have taken in air but has run for several hours after, but is now struggling to start once switched off. It just turns over without firing, almost as if it`s out of fuel. My only way of starting is bump starting it. Any ideas?

There is a small gauze filter in the banjo bolt on the injector pump inlet fuel pipe which gets choked, this causes a lot of starting and running problems. This might be the fault Chris from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 11/10/2012 12:05:51 | ID: 87113

Jam Bam, New Zealand

Nissan Terrano 1992

Hey, I just got a Nissan Terrano 92 turbo diesel B3M and the dash instrument panel (speedo, rev limiter, fuel gauge) isn’t working. Also my main beam doesn’t work. Does anyone know how much it would cost and how to fix these problems? Thanks.

I had the same problem and what I did was to replace the whole system in the dashboard Nigel Martins from Uganda

Submitted: 01/10/2012 10:29:05 | ID: 81268

Mark Wood, Gloucestershire

Nissan Terrano 2000

My Nissan Terrano`s speedo cluster has stopped working. I have stripped it down and can`t find a problem and the button`s gone on the key so the remote won`t work. You can buy a kit on ebay very cheaply, I had mine repaired and that works fine now. Any ideas?

Submitted: 01/10/2012 09:00:34 | ID: 73109

Jo Jeffries, Torfaen

Nissan Terrano 2004

We have a Nissan Terrano sve 3.0 manual diesel 04 plate and we have just had a full service and the oil light stays on, even though we had a new oil pressure switch fitted. The engine oil is reaching the top of the rocker box under pressure. Is there anything we can do or do you think it could be the loom? Any suggestions would be gratefully received, thanks. (diesel)

Hi, just had the same problem with mine and there is another oil pressure switch just above the the starter motor which you can get to through the driver side wheel arch Matthew Cowley from Cambridgeshire

Hi, I have a 55 3.0 se di commercial and changing the oil pressure switch just behind the starter motor stopped the oil pressure light coming on ... first I change the one near the engine oil filter and that didn`t work... thank god I came on here... Thanks  Jim Haigh from Nottinghamshire

Firstly the Terrano 3.0 has two oil pressure switches, both are bit prone to getting gummed up and putting the oil light on. The one on the nearside (adjacent to oil filter) is a low pressure switch (0.25 bar) and is stamped P15. The one the offside (adjacent to starter) is a high pressure switch (2.5 bar)and is stamped P25, it also has a yellow painted ring around the chamber. This switch works via the ECM and only come into play from 3600rpm (according to Nissan), they are otherwise identical and can easily be inadvertently interchanged. I would recommend changing the two for genuine Nissan replacements. Take care not to loose the paired washer on the oil filter side as the switch is screwed into a union which then goes into a banjo fitting for the turbo oil supply pipe. The offside is best accessed via the rubber shielding behind the offside front wheel. Good luck! Marty Wright from Dorset

Submitted: 01/10/2012 08:57:53 | ID: 73105

Peter MacLeod, New Zealand

Nissan Terrano 1997

Hi. I have a Nissan Mistral Terrano that has displayed code p0340. I recently had problems starting it hot or cold and when I rev it it pours out smoke at 2000 revs. I took to the local Nissan dealer and they did a diagnostic and said it was the crankshaft position sensor which I replaced with no change. So I researched how to get and translate codes and now it says 0340 which is cam shaft sensor.The problem is I can`t find it? Can anyone help? Thanks. (Mistral td27t eti. )

Turns out it’s code 34, needle lift sensor Peter MacLeod from New Zealand

Submitted: 25/09/2012 14:23:11 | ID: 87122

Dia Deis, Israel

Nissan Terrano 2003

Hi. My Nissan Terrano`s remote key has stopped working, I have to lock and unlock the car manually using the key. The car`s alarm sounds too if I don`t enter the code. This is the original key. How can I fix the key to go back to normal? (2.7 Diesel)

Google is your friend. You can recode your key. And if I am right you have to insert the key and then press the throttle several timed times. Google will give you all the details Brian Clark from England

You can re-programme your key, see link: http://www.programyourkeys.com/Nissan_Terano_Key_Remote_Control_Fob_Transponder_Programming.html - if it is actually broken you can get it repaired see link: http://www.pots-of-gold.co.uk/products.php?cat=12 - it will cost £34.99 plus P & P. All the best Ray Aldworth from England

Submitted: 18/09/2012 16:28:01 | ID: 85821

Les, Oxfordshire

Nissan Terrano 2000

My Nissan Terrano`s abs pulses at 30mph and below but it`s okay at higher speeds. The abs light is off. Can anyone advise me? (2.7 tdi)

Have your ABS sensor checked (I bet it is the right sensor that is at fault) Brian Clark from Yorkshire

Submitted: 18/09/2012 11:33:34 | ID: 79625

Malcolm Davies, England

Nissan Terrano 1998

Could anyone explain the procedure to fit the front exhaust pipe on the Nissan Terrano 2? (lwb)

Submitted: 13/09/2012 10:57:49 | ID: 71417

Jason East, Yorkshire

Nissan Terrano 1997

How do I get my Nissan Terrano`s front bumper off?

Take too many risks on roundabouts! No, sorry about that, I have not done that yet Paul Moss from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 10/09/2012 12:15:13 | ID: 82636

Sarah Cronin, Sussex

Nissan Terrano 1996

I’m looking to buy new wheels for my 1996 Nissan Terrano. They come with 15" as standard, but was wondering if 16" will fit as they are more readily available? Please can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Terrano has 235/75/15 standard. 235/70/16 tyres & 16 inch wheels will work well. (compensate for bigger wheel with lower profile) Here is a calculator to check other tyre sizes http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm Alex C from Hampshire

Submitted: 07/09/2012 17:01:40 | ID: 88602

Jonny Jarvis, London

Nissan Terrano 2004

At present my 54 plate 2.7 diesel Nissan Terrano has 64k on and am wondering when I should have a new cam belt?

2.7 diesel engine does not have a timing belt Les Ashby from Oxfordshire

Timing chain I think Egesford Eff from England

We used to have a 2.7 Terrano and we now have the 3.0 and both models do have the chain not a belt Jo Jeffries from Wales

Unwin is right! They are cam gears, that is why I use Terranos Paul Moss from Cambridgeshire

2.7tdi engine has gears, no cambelt no chain Unwin from Lancashire

Submitted: 06/09/2012 12:59:58 | ID: 88551

Bernd, West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Nissan Terrano 1998

Does my 5 door manual Nissan Terrano have a throttle cable or is it a wireless connection?

Electronic sender unit on the throttle peddle Paul Moss from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 06/09/2012 09:50:48 | ID: 88098

Will Riley, Bedfordshire

Nissan Terrano 1995

After a few months of slow movement the cable on my Nissan Terrano`s n/s/r window regulator snapped. A non gen regulator has been fitted but which of the 2 cables to the electric motor is the live, blue or green? Also both of the feed cables are not showing any voltage. Any ideas please? (IMPORT RD20 2.7TDi)

Submitted: 31/08/2012 16:39:19 | ID: 87629

Martin Nichols, England

Nissan Terrano 2003

Could anyone tell me if my 2003 Nissan Terrano 2.7td has a cambelt or chain? (2.7tdi)

It’s a chain drive mate Phil Hurman from England

Neither. The camshaft is gear driven, so zero maintenance Paul from England

No belt or chain no worrys on that score Engine good for 1000000 miles Mel Churchill from Wales

Submitted: 31/08/2012 09:19:58 | ID: 85935

Craig Cusdin, New Zealand

Nissan Terrano 1992

I have to replace the light switch on my left hand drive Nissan Terrano but the parts available in New Zealand are for right hand drive. Can a right hand switch fit into a left hand Terrano? (Left hand drive)

Submitted: 28/08/2012 11:02:28 | ID: 86479

Bill Scott, New Zealand

Nissan Terrano 1992

Why is my Nissan Terrano`s trans slipping in second? (td27t)

Submitted: 28/08/2012 10:50:28 | ID: 86477

Robert, Cayman Islands

Nissan Terrano 1996

Hi. My Nissan Terrano 2.7 td 1996, r3m japanese import, with 2 batteries, starts very well but as soon as I put it into reverse or drive (automatic transmission) the engine stalls. After a couple of seconds the engine starts again and if I put it into reverse it is fine. Sometimes if I drive at slow speed, mostly when I’m about to turn right, the engine will stop running, then I switch on the ignition and the engine starts with no problem. I checked the filter in the fuel pump but I could not find one in there. I would like to mention that it has happened maybe 30 times in one year and it does not show on scanner. Can anyone help? Thank you. (R3m)

Hello, I had the same problem, was in garage for 3-4 days and could not find a fault. I took it to a different garage and they changed the fuel line - they noticed some kinks / joints in it - these were causing air to get through. When it next happens, go to your fuel filter and pump / prime it (push the black button in on the top). If it’s easy to do and then gets harder, the car should start 1st time. It’s air in the pipes and 1 little bubble causes it to stop. Worth a try! Larisa Hoe from England

Submitted: 23/08/2012 17:10:35 | ID: 86003

Stacey, England

Nissan Terrano 1997

Hi. I have a Swb Nissan Terrano 2. The last owner disabled the alarm sound because it keeps activating itself when parked, which is draining the battery. Any suggestions please?

Submitted: 20/08/2012 11:44:41 | ID: 85332

Brian Chatterley, England

Nissan Terrano 1997

I have a problem with my Nissan Terrano when driving away, 1st to 4th gears. The engine seems to rev correctly but there`s no acceleration for about 10 seconds, then it picks up as if normal. It is worse when towing a caravan. Fifth gear is great and working normally. I have replaced the injectors but there`s little difference. Can anyone help? (SWB 2.7 TDI)

Sounds like your clutch is slipping Jake from New Zealand

Submitted: 26/07/2012 11:15:11 | ID: 88344

Lee Ellis, Wales

Nissan Terrano 1999

My Nissan Terrano`s engine light is on. I replaced the instrument injector but still the same problem. It will not do more than 30 mph. Do you have to have the ecu reset to clear the fault?

Submitted: 24/07/2012 16:22:48 | ID: 88288

Jeanette Hazelton, England

Nissan Terrano 2000

Can anyone give me a bit of advice? My key has stopped working so I am unable to lock my Nissan Terrano with the key. I am able to lock it manually but when I go to unlock it it sets the alarm off. I will be looking at getting a new key soon, I`m supposing that they are expensive. I have managed, through messing around with the alarm button on the dashboard and the crappy key, to turn the alarm off but I`m not sure how, is there a secret method? I don`t lock it all of the time as I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, but I visit family in Manchester sometimes and really would like to be able to lock and unlock my car without setting off the alarm, or at least know how to turn the alarm off when it does go off. Can anyone help me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I hope someone answers your questions as I am having the exact same problem! I often leave it unlocked as when I try to unlock it with the key the the alarms blare out! I have heard that a whole new key could cost over £100, but wondered about some of the replacement kits Sarah L from Lincolnshire

Try the battery in the key as it sounds like you need a new one. If you leave it too long you will have to reset the the key to the car sender. Instructions on how to do this is available on the internet. If you have fitted a new battery make sure it is making contact with the key contacts. Hope this helps Charlie Doherty from Yorkshire

If you just want a key to lock your Terrano don’t go to main dealer’s who charge over £200. I phoned a mobile auto locksmith who cut me 2 new keys, chipped one and programmed both so I have 2 keys that open and lock doors and both start the car. Cost was £55 Peter Franklin from Wiltshire

Submitted: 16/07/2012 11:25:43 | ID: 86569

Jacky, Lincolnshire

Nissan Terrano 2003

Hello. My Nissan Terrano has developed a rattling sound from under the front end. It sounds like ball bearings in a jar. We have tried everything to locate and fix it such as new belts, regrease, tensioner, checked front wheel bearings etc We`re going to try changing the exhaust gasket. It seems to be blowing between the elbow and downpipe. It’s driving me mad. Has anyone got any ideas please? Thanks. (Off road Se tdi)

Is it manual or automatic? Could be throw out bearing on the clutch, does it change pitch or sound different when the clutch is depressed? If it does it’s probably the TOB Rich from England

It is most likely a partly broken clutch plate, it happened to me, it is because the clutch is very worn and needs replacing! Paul Moss from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 09/07/2012 15:48:23 | ID: 85597

Robert Percy, County Armagh

Nissan Terrano 2003

What could cause a rattle in the rear door of my Nissan Terrano? (1.1)

Number plate? Andrew Richardson from Australia

Check that the nuts on the spare wheel are tight Dave Harbutt from England

Submitted: 09/07/2012 10:56:46 | ID: 85474

Jim Bowler, Australia

Nissan Terrano 1991

My 91 Nissan Terrano has all the dashboard lights on when I shut it down and a little Japanese "bing" noise. I can’t work out what it`s trying to tell me. All of the fuses are fine. I’ve had an intermediate problem with what seems to be the battery terminal, that means if I jiggle it before I start it up it runs. Any help? (R3M Turbo Diesel)

Submitted: 02/07/2012 10:48:27 | ID: 88881

Pete Ranson, New Zealand

Nissan Terrano 1996

My 1996 Nissan Terrano 2.7 R3m-R will start okay but the rev counter will cut out, the engine light will flash, and 4x4 will engage. The engine will still run but if I put my foot down it will hesitate and puff a bit of smoke. Sometimes if you rev it up it will clear itself for a while. I have checked the fault code with a bit of wire in the diagnostic socket and come up with the code 11. I want to check if it could be something other than the injection pump before I remove it. The 4x4 engaging has me stumped. Any suggestions? (R3m-R TD27 [ETi)

Submitted: 02/07/2012 10:32:12 | ID: 88837

Colin Meikle, Argyllshire

Nissan Terrano 2001

Hi. Yesterday I started my Nissan Terrano 2.7td and nothing on the dashboard was working except the clock, there is no speedometer, no temperature gauge and no fuel gauge. Can anybody suggest why this may be?

Dashboard failure, it’s quite common in the Terrano Stephen Fitzpatrick from County Down

Submitted: 28/06/2012 16:49:20 | ID: 87181

Rob, Warwickshire

Nissan Terrano 2004

My Nissan Terrano`s speedometer / temperature gauge / rev counter have stopped working and if I disconnect the battery and reconnect it they work again for a period of time. What does anyone think the problem is?

Submitted: 28/06/2012 09:39:20 | ID: 88614

Roy Boardman, Lancashire

Nissan Terrano 1997

My Nissan Terrano has diesel to the injector pump but none to the injectors. The pump soleniod seems to click on then off when turned over, but it doesn`t seem to stay open when cranking. Any ideas? (SE)

I have had exactly the same problem (Terrano 2 Bosch 026) pump and Bosch ECU. I had no fault codes on the ECU. Consulting software gave me a hint that there was a shutdown of the pump, because the ECU picked up a wrong cranking speed. Spinning on starter reading was 25,000 rpm! Pump was not at fault, so it`s likely to be either wiring loom or crank sensor. Initial voltage on solenoid dropped to less than 1v within one second Bob O’Neill from Berkshire

Submitted: 25/06/2012 10:20:01 | ID: 88152

Anthony, Australia

Nissan Terrano 1998

I have had my Nissan Terrano II TDi 2.7 for a number of years now. I replaced the MAF a couple of years ago after a big trip when it failed. The same symptoms of sluggish take-off have picked up again recently so I tried to replace the sensor again but it continued. I pulled out and cleaned the injectors, replaced the glowplugs and the fuel filter and it`s still sluggish. It will only max at 3,000rpm and has slow pickup through the gears. I am thinking it`s the EGR or the throttle control valve but the manuals don’t have all right hand drive setups and part locations. I need some suggestions or fixes please as I need to get it back on the tracks soon. Can anybody help me? (Terrano II TDi 2.7)

Hi, have you found out the problem as my Terrano is doing the same? Sharon Turner from Renfrewshire

Have you checked the fuel pump? Brian Clark from England

Submitted: 19/06/2012 17:20:30 | ID: 87876

Mike O`Connor, Caerphilly

Nissan Terrano 2001

I have a 2001 Nissan Terrano. I can select gears but the gearstick has become very sloppy. Can anyone suggest why?

On the bottom of the gearstick there’s a nylon delrin ball/bush that goes into the selector, a little wear on this makes it all feel loose. It’s a listed Nissan part (can’t remember the part number but if you can get a dealer to show you the workshop manual it’s obvious which part it is). To fit it you just remove the centre console (screws in cd box and a couple on gearbox tunnel), remove the gearstick (4x 12mm bolts I think) and pull the stick out. The old ball should pull off easy enough. If the new one won’t snap on then put it in the microwave for 20 sec to warm it up without distorting it and it should go on easy enough. The hardest bit I found was explaining to the chimp in the first dealership I tried what the part was and why I wanted to change it, but Lookers Chester came up with the goods. It was about £7 Alan Smith from Gwynedd

Submitted: 07/06/2012 16:40:49 | ID: 86730

Greg, New Zealand

Nissan Terrano 1994

Hi. I drove my Nissan Terrano to work and when I went to leave ii it had no drive in second. I engaged forward and the car drove. Does anybody have any idea what might be the problem? Cheers.

Submitted: 31/05/2012 09:58:09 | ID: 85912

Brian Clark, England

Nissan Terrano 2001

Hi. My Nissan Terrano`s engine management light is on and stays on. I have had three scanners on it and none of them show the light to be on. The light has been on for one year now. Please can anyone help?

Hi, my car some time has white smoke in the back, I do not know why; I use some oil when I fill the car with diesel to clean it. I change the oil filter, and then comes the same problem and when I drive more than 90 miles the diesel don’t come like is stop but if i drive with 85 mile all is ok. I go to check in diesel center in Northampton and they told me that all is ok with my car and he say try to drive again and if is stop take the tank down and clean it. You think that is correct or not? I never had this problem before just when I use this small botle with oil in the diseel I get this problem. Thanks Radu Lucescu from London

Submitted: 25/05/2012 09:44:33 | ID: 85400

Steve Day, Staffordshire

Nissan Terrano 1999

Having had my Nissan Terrano`s clutch replaced twice as well as the slave cylinder, my clutch has started slipping again. Any ideas? (2.7 TDI)

Hi, it is possible that your bell housing bolts are incorrectly tightened, or some were missed out, they are not the easiest job getting at, and a back yard mechanic needs some grit and determination to get the job done right!!! Paul Moss from Cambridgeshire

Hi, maybe try and adjust the clutch peddle should have a bit of play in peddle then a bite of clutch Tom Fergie from New Zealand

Submitted: 24/05/2012 10:14:39 | ID: 84974

Meundju Mujoro, Namibia

Nissan Terrano 1999

My Nissan Terrano`s engine is turning over but it doesn`t want to catch or idle. Any ideas please?

Hi! Yes it could well be the crankshaft sensor at fault if this is breaking down it will send a message to the fuel pump - no pump fuel, hence engine wont start, worth having diagnostics check, costs around £40 and it will show up straight away. I fitted one of these a while back, I remember it cost me around the £100 mark - not cheap for a little sensor. These are a known fault, hope this helps. Best of luck Alan Tucker from Torfaen

Check for a NATS connection on the back of the Fuel Pump... it cuts the fuel if disconnect (Via the NATS system) Contact me @ mark_wootton@hotmail.com if you need more specifics Mark Wootton from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 18/05/2012 15:35:44 | ID: 82967

Alan Tucker, Wales

Nissan Terrano 2000

Does anyone know how to change the timer relay (at least that`s what I think it`s called) for the interior light on my W reg Nissan Terrano? It won`t work on the auto switch for example when you open the door. There doesn`t seem to be a lot of information on this. When on auto mode it just seems to glow and won`t go out. Can anyone help? Cheers. (2.7 TDI intercooler)

Submitted: 15/05/2012 15:48:11 | ID: 69851

Kerry Adamson, London

Nissan Terrano 2000

My Nissan Terrano is starting to overheat and I have no hot air. Can anyone please help?

It’s a water leak! Top up with water then run engine and look where it’s leaking from. Most common places are the radiator, or Water pump. But don’t run the engine for too long when HOT, it will cause damage Alan Tucker from Torfaen

Thermostat Tone from Essex

Submitted: 14/05/2012 09:33:59 | ID: 80260

Graham Swaby, Lincolnshire

Nissan Terrano 1999

After heavy rain what is the solution when my Nissan Terrano`s dashboard lights for the battery, a/t oil temperature and the coolant lights do not go out, even though the vehicle still drives okay? I have checked the fuses in the driver`s side. Any suggestions? (2.7td)

Was soon discovered upon further.inspection that one of the auxiliary belts had split and required changing Graham Swaby from England

Submitted: 01/05/2012 09:57:37 | ID: 71104