NISSAN PRIMERA questions and answers

NISSAN Primera

Ask and answer questions on a variety of NISSAN PRIMERA models. Help and advice on everything NISSAN PRIMERA. Feel free to ask and answer as many NISSAN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest NISSAN PRIMERA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

ABRAM, Botswana

Nissan Primera

Hello can some one explain to me the meaning of PIT with a spanner that appears when I switch my Nissan primera QR20 P12 on. My car has a check engine code p1110 intake valve B1.Please can some explain to me the meaning the two and any suggestion as to how I can resolve the problem.When I drive revs will go up while the car stall and when I make emergency brake the engine switches off at stops Thank you in advance Abram Botswana

Submitted: 20/04/2014 11:32:53 | ID: 94462

sipho, South Africa

I need a engine loom/harness on my primera 2.0 1999 model

Submitted: 13/04/2014 20:55:08 | ID: 94188

daren, Trinidad and Tobago

Nissan Primera

Hi my engine check light come on after about 10mins drive but every time i switch off it goes off and come back on after about five minutes but the car pull very good even if the check light is on.can you help me please!

Submitted: 13/04/2014 05:21:52 | ID: 94160

Sonya, New Zealand

Nissan Primera 1997

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find an English translation of the fuse box of my Nissan Primera? I am wanting to figure out which one is for the front window squirters but can’t seem to find it on Google etc? Thanks.

Submitted: 07/04/2014 09:42:58 | ID: 93564

John Hatton, Somerset

Nissan Primera 1999

Is the handbrake cable adjustable on my Nissan Primera and if so where is the adjuster located? Many thanks. (2ltr SE Hatch)

Submitted: 17/03/2014 12:05:58 | ID: 62894

Michael Andrews, Gloucestershire

Nissan Primera 1998

How do I remove the driver`s side inner door panel on my Nissan Primera to get at the electric window motor? (Turbo Diesel)

Submitted: 14/03/2014 15:52:42 | ID: 62836

Desmond Hagarty, England

Nissan Primera 2005

Hello. Can you please advise what are the tune up details for the Nissan Primera? Thank you. (QR 20Lt wagon)

Submitted: 07/03/2014 09:54:57 | ID: 62474

Desmond Hagarty, England

Nissan Primera 2004

Hello, can you please tell me how to reset the ECU on my Nissan Primera so it goes into learning mode? (QR 20Lt wagon)

Submitted: 07/03/2014 09:12:55 | ID: 62593

Shaquille Findlay, Montserrat

Nissan Primera 1999

Hey. My Nissan Primera (P11) had a problem that when I drive up a hill or slope my car loses power and it won’t go over 2K RPM. I told a friend about the problem and he told me to unplug my battery and then reconnect it. That worked but then two weeks later I decided to do a burn out in my car and then I flip it in first gear and it suddenly lost power and was just creeping, although I’m flooring the car. Can someone please tell me what’s wrong with it?

Submitted: 04/03/2014 10:51:20 | ID: 62554

Marcus, Nigeria

Nissan Primera 2000

I have a Nissan Primera 2.0 2000 model. The car loses power and tends to be sluggish on motion and jerks sometimes. I have changed the fuel pump, air flow meter and even have my gear (CVT) replaced yet the problem persists. Can somebody help me?

Submitted: 28/02/2014 15:34:31 | ID: 68161

Dex Stevic, Serbia

Nissan Primera 1991

How much oil is needed in the gearbox of a Nissan Primera p 10? Thanks. (p10)

Submitted: 14/02/2014 08:48:48 | ID: 62062

Pedrouis Rodium, Zimbabwe

Nissan Primera 2001

Where is the vehicle speed sensor AT output located on a 2001 Nissan Primera QR20?

Submitted: 11/02/2014 12:34:38 | ID: 93358

Staurt Pepper, Lancashire

Nissan Primera 2003

Hi, my Nissan Primera has a surging problem which usually manifests itself when motorway driving or it can happen above 40 mph. It happens when trying to accelerate (say usually when overtaking), where the car is trying to accelerate but is doing so by fluctuating speed. Pardon the pun when referring to learner drivers but the term kangaroo petrol is probably the best description, but it`s a bit more subtle at these speeds. I find the easiest way to get round the problem is to ease off with the accelerator till the problem clears and then try and accelerate at a lower rate. The trouble is sometimes you need quick acceleration to get out of potentially hazardous driving situations. Can anybody give me any help with this please? (1.8 petrol hatchback)

Hi, the problem you have is believe it or not is your indicators. You say it happens when you indicate right? I would be tempted to check your rear indicator for corroded contacts. Try over taking without indicating then you will see. Saj Khan from England

It may be a faulty ignition coil (or coils!). I had a similar problem with my Nissan Primera (1.8 petrol hatchback) when accelerating/overtaking - just as you describe. The garage did a diagnostic check which showed a fault on one of the ignition coils on the spark plugs. A new coil was fitted and the fault disappeared, in fact I felt a big improvement in the acceleration. The ignition coil cost around £90 plus fitting. Ken from Sussex

Submitted: 11/02/2014 09:43:29 | ID: 93350

Ramesh Dharamdeo, Trinidad and Tobago

Nissan Primera 2005

I have a Nissan Primera and the drive gear will not engage immediately on mornings when the engine is cold, it takes about 5 seconds to do so but after that there are no problems. I did change the oil which was in a bad condition but with no positive results. Any other advice please?

Submitted: 11/02/2014 08:57:27 | ID: 61983

Old Moses, England

Nissan Primera 2005

Please I need your urgent help. I actually bought my Nissan Primera from auction, it came with a single key without the car remote. I have tried a series of locksmiths to programme the car`s remote purchased on ebay but they could not programme it because the car did not come with the manual. Where can I get the engine security code? Thanks for any help. (2.2)

Submitted: 10/02/2014 16:02:01 | ID: 61875

Jeff Atkinson, England

Nissan Primera 2005

After doing a journey changing up and down through the gearbox of my Nissan Primera with ease, upon reaching my destination I found I could not select reverse gear. I ended up switching off the engine, then selecting reverse and re-starting to be able to back up! Going forwards the gears change smoothly with no signs of clutch slipping. Any ideas please? Thanks. (1.8)

Submitted: 07/02/2014 14:56:20 | ID: 61830

Sam Patel, England

Nissan Primera 2007

When I drive my diesel Nissan Primera suddenly all of the windows get misty and I can not see anything. It takes a long time to warm up as well. What do you think is wrong? Thanks.

Look for wet patches on the carpet in the footwell, probably a leaking heater matrix. Will cost an arm and a leg to fix unless you by pass it and do without a heater. Coo Lectro from Northumberland

Submitted: 04/02/2014 10:19:47 | ID: 61666

Godfrey Zulu, Zambia

Nissan Primera 2002

I have a Nissan Primera wagon engine Qr20.054024a, chassis Wtp12.008211. The revs sometimes go high while driving. What can cause this please?

The speed sensors are the main cause of this problem. Buy new speed sensors and check if your stepper motor is okay. Austin ngoma from Zambia

Submitted: 23/01/2014 09:37:39 | ID: 61238

Fred Johnson, Worcestershire

Nissan Primera 2001

Hi, I need to find out if the gear box for the Nissan Primera 1.6 active is the same as the Almera 1.6 or Tino? I am looking for a gear box for my Primera 1.6 2001, active. The model gearbox I have does not fit it because of the column hole next to the point where the propellar shaft fits. Please can you suggest where I can get a gear box to fit my 2001 Nissan Primera 1.6 active? (1.6 Active)

Submitted: 17/01/2014 11:42:27 | ID: 60845

Bangaly Ansu, Netherlands

Nissan Primera 2002

Hi. I would like to know if it’s possible to replace the cd player in my Nissan Primera with a navigation system? If so what kind of navigator can it be replaced with? Your help would be highly appreciated.

Submitted: 09/01/2014 11:56:22 | ID: 60482

Paul Morgan, Northern Ireland

Nissan Primera 2001

My Nissan Primera 2.0 d broke it`s timing belt so I changed the engine, used own injector pump and injectors but now the new engine idles too fast. What could be wrong? Thanks. (2.0d)

Submitted: 09/01/2014 11:21:27 | ID: 60432

Roy, England

Nissan Primera 2002

When turning the ignition on in my Nissan Primera a miles sign comes on with a symbol of a key underneath. What does this mean?

Submitted: 06/01/2014 09:04:37 | ID: 59466

Darren, London

Nissan Primera 2002

Can anyone tell me why my Nissan Primera 52 plate petrol 1.8 SVE bunny hops when I indicate left and why the engine goes into safe mode and slows down when I put my headlights on? I can only get 30 mph when it`s in safe mode but when the lights are off the engine runs normally. Any ideas anyone? (p12 1.8 sve petrol)

You need to have you lights fixed at the rear of the car. It sounds like the wires are burning out due to them touching each other, that’s a fail safe on the car telling you it needs changing now! It happened to mine last year, well that’s what the mechanic told me anyway. I hope this helps. Donna-Maria Williams from England

I had exactly the same problem and discovered that water had entered the connector block on the left rear light cluster and corroded the connectors. A simple change of this light cluster and a bit of a spray with wd40 or water repellent effected an instant cure. Can’t offer any advice on the safe mode prob Alan McMahon from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 03/01/2014 09:48:52 | ID: 60173

Jo Hoff, England

Nissan Primera 2003

Hi. I have a Nissan Primera but the rear back door is not locking when pressing the fob and I can`t close it manually as there is no such option. Please can anyone help? I will really appreciate any help.

Submitted: 03/01/2014 08:37:47 | ID: 60079

Ian, Ireland

Nissan Primera 2006

Are the window reg clips on the Nissan Primera Estate the same as on the standard Nissan Primera? (WP12 Estate 1.6)

Submitted: 02/01/2014 12:21:27 | ID: 64772

Bill McHugh, Lancashire

Nissan Primera 2003

Please, how do I remove the mirror and backing plate from a Nissan Primera? Is it easy to do? (saloon)

Submitted: 31/12/2013 14:21:56 | ID: 59948

Chris, Cheshire

Nissan Primera 2003

Where is the pcv valve on a 2003 Nissan Primera petrol engine and how do you change it?

Submitted: 23/12/2013 10:58:33 | ID: 64404

Andrew Summers, Worcestershire

Nissan Primera 2002

I have had two new timing chain kits fitted to my Nissan Primera and the second time round had an oil pressure test 3bar @ 2000rpm, All of this has been done over two weeks. The problem is the timing chain rattle that is hitting the case. It`s okay when you start the car from cold and as soon as it gets to temperature there it is - chain rattle again. Can anyone please help as I feel like giving up? (2.2 dci)

Hello, I had a Chrysler Valiant years ago and the timing chain developed a rattle. The timing chain was changed, but it did not last long before it started rattling again. I made enquiries and found that the chain sprockets were worn, which was wearing out the chain. The chain tensioner could be worn, broken or missing, which would give you a rattle. Another option is that they are not fitting the right chain to suit your engine. I hope this helps. Have a great day, all the best. Desmond Hagarty from New Zealand

Submitted: 17/12/2013 11:03:00 | ID: 59435

Robert Nyikadzino, Zimbabwe

Nissan Primera 2001

My Nissan Primera is flashing an airbag/seatbelt sign on the dashboard. On the same note a Japanese message is being said. The only words I hear is the airbag system then Japanese words. Can anyone tell me how I can get a translation into English?

Submitted: 16/12/2013 14:48:19 | ID: 59394

Darren Conway, Ireland

Nissan Primera 2001

I’m trying to locate the brake light switch on my Nissan Primera, as I had the boot changed and all other lights are working but I have no brake lights. New bulbs are in. Can anybody help?

Submitted: 10/12/2013 12:34:50 | ID: 59035

Andy Parsonage, Cheshire

Nissan Primera 2004

When I change up a gear in my Nissan Primera there is a loss in drive and the car slows. When I bring the car to a stop and switch off the engine and restart it the fault seems to rectify itself. Can anyone suggest what`s wrong? (2.2 dci)

Submitted: 10/12/2013 11:01:52 | ID: 56404

Trina, New Zealand

Nissan Primera 2002

Our Nissan Primeras engine malfunction light is on. We have checked the oil and have installed a new battery hoping this would fix the problem but unfortunately not. This light only came on after we jump started our car. Any ideas before I haul it into the dealer?

Turn off your engine. Remove the terminals on both sides of the battery. Turn on the head light switch. Light will not turn on coz there is no battery, but this will drain all the power used for memory in your ECU. Leave the car like in that state for 12 hours. Plug in your terminals, start the cars and the light should come off. If the light still shows up, there is most likely another electronic problem which needs computer diagnosis. Luke Mutuwawira from Malawi

Submitted: 10/12/2013 10:43:37 | ID: 58999

Roger Atkins, England

Nissan Primera 2003

I want to disconnect and remove the phone kit and holder in my Nissan Primera. How do I proceed and can I damage the electrics? (sve)

Submitted: 19/11/2013 16:00:05 | ID: 58095

Chris Pashis, England

Nissan Primera 2001

I cannot find the obd ll connector on my Nissan Primera Activ 1.8 16v 2001. Please help?

Submitted: 07/11/2013 11:25:14 | ID: 89295

William Kehoe, England

Nissan Primera 2006

When I start my Nissan Primera lately I have been feeling vibration and my display is now showing secure in orange with a car in red on the dash and what appears to be a key inside it. Also sometimes when I`m driving at high gears the engine revs up. Can anybody explain please?

Submitted: 07/11/2013 10:43:51 | ID: 57466

George Hanna, Sweden

Nissan Primera 2005

My 2005 Nissan Primera 1.8 P12 hatchback has it`s yellow engine management light coming on after long journeys. Nissan service said I must change the motor, but another said there is no problem with the motor. I am feeling disappointed and don`t know what to do? Others have said I have to change all of the sensors in the car? Any suggestions please? Thank you.

Submitted: 05/11/2013 12:10:05 | ID: 57396

Malak Khan, England

Nissan Primera 2004

I want to ask about a fuel problem with my Nissan Primera. It`s showing 23 miles per gallon but normally it should be 47 miles on a city drive and 56 on motorways, which is written in the Nissan Primera handbook. If I change the fuel filter can it help give me more mileage? I`ve changed the air filter and engine oil and filter but I have not changed the fuel filter. Please does anyone have any idea about what to do to give me more miles? The car has good pick up and is running well but it`s using more diesel than the normal rate. (2.2 diesel dci)

Hi, I have the same car which was doing the same about a year ago. Now goes into limp mode often. Currently in the garage getting injectors tested... Michael Robinson from Yorkshire

Submitted: 05/11/2013 11:31:14 | ID: 57372

Lisa Walsh, Ireland

Nissan Primera 2004

My Nissan Primera keeps coming up with a warning saying overheating. What does this mean please? .

Submitted: 04/11/2013 16:01:21 | ID: 57283

Scramander Banda, Malawi

Nissan Primera 2001

My Nissan Primera`s radiator gets very hot after travelling even a short distance. What should I do?

Submitted: 04/11/2013 14:35:02 | ID: 57293

Eric Donaldson, England

Nissan Primera 2005

I recently bought my Nissan Primera but the CD player would not operate. The radio was okay. The dealer fitted a replacement but now the radio AND the CD player will not function. Plus the main consul has gone haywire. Any help would be appreciated please?

Submitted: 29/10/2013 14:51:49 | ID: 56960