NISSAN PRIMERA questions and answers

NISSAN Primera

Ask and answer questions on a variety of NISSAN PRIMERA models. Help and advice on everything NISSAN PRIMERA. Feel free to ask and answer as many NISSAN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest NISSAN PRIMERA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Kevin, Nigeria

Nissan Primera

When I start up my engine in the morning .. And I switch on my CD player ... I get this whizzing sound when I rev up or when am on motion this sounds seems to come from my speakers .. Any way to help out ??

Submitted: 25/02/2015 15:34:43 | ID: 112315

Kevin, Nigeria

Nissan Primera

Hello .. I've got this nissan primera 1999 estate of am right .. With the cvt transmission .. It developed and issue when in semi-manual transmission .. Its always on d1 and when I shift upwards it doesn't shift also when I shift back to auto - drive .. It still doesn't shift up and keeps reving high up .. After a restart of the engine it gives a very low rev and takes lots of time to pick up .. Hardly enough power to climb over a speed bump .. Any help please ??

Submitted: 25/02/2015 15:21:58 | ID: 112312

Jennifer Wright, New Zealand

Nissan Primera

Hi, My orange light , like an engine has come up, and now my car won't start?

Submitted: 25/02/2015 04:45:47 | ID: 112291

abiola tunde, Nigeria

Nissan Primera

What causes hotness of the wheels?

Submitted: 23/02/2015 19:06:33 | ID: 112200

Egnes, Zimbabwe

Nissan Primera

I bought a Nissan Primera hatchback 2002 model and when you engage a gear it produces a rattling sound from the engine and also at times the rev count goes up, yet you are travelling at a slow speed. What can the problem be?

Submitted: 23/02/2015 13:46:26 | ID: 112186

Evans Kunda, Zambia

Nissan Primera

Hi all. My P12 2002 model is displaying the 'Engine Check' icon on the dashboard and screen display. It is also taking a couple of seconds to start the engine. What could be the problem with it? Please help guys

Submitted: 23/02/2015 11:30:14 | ID: 112174

Abdi Ali, Blackpool

Nissan Primera

Hello, I have a Nissan Primera p12 without nav. I want to know if I can put in an aftermarket dvd mp3 player with nav and have everything displayed on the original monitor without affecting reverse cam and all the regular features? Please help.

Submitted: 19/02/2015 21:54:50 | ID: 111929

kevin, Bahamas, The

Nissan Primera

My Navi and A/C on my 2002 primers doesn't work. The buttons don't work, the air condition is constantly on (I cannot turn it off as the buttons don't work), the Navi screen is blank. The radio does not work. However, I. Oticrd that it everything would come on a d work perfectly for about until I switch off the car, then that's it. This occasionally happens only perhaps once per month. Any ideas guys, I have no control of the dash board, it has a mind of its own.

Submitted: 18/02/2015 01:36:55 | ID: 111769

louise, Suffolk

Nissan Primera

I am unsure why the power steering fluid bottle is black all over the lid and up to about an inch down the top of the bottle? As the car heats when driving even after few minutes I get this overheating/ burning smell. The accelerator pedal rattles when maintaining a speed, but not when I apply pressure, but then again when easing off. I know I need brake pads. Initially I was thinking clutch, but now not so sure. As I thought it was the clutch I didn`t look under the car, so when I did there is a black substance covering under the car, but not dripping, seems to be covering large area. Put in oil a few weeks ago as was very low, probably just missed permanent damage. Not sure if oil or power steering fluid due to the mysterious blacking of bottle. The steering wheel vibrates and so does the gearbox, although I am hoping this is tracking and balancing. Seems to oversteer easily even while being careful. Has anyone had the same issues and has an easy inexpensive fix or do I prepare for the worst. ThanksLouise

Submitted: 13/02/2015 01:09:04 | ID: 111426

Neil, Hertfordshire

Nissan Primera

Periodically the engine on my Nissan Primera won't start. It turns over and sounds incredibly close to catching but doesn't quite. Occasionally when this has happened it has started but only for a few seconds where it is got up to 500rpm then died again. This problem usually manifests itself when the car is parked on a slope (facing either up or down) or if the fuel level drops to around half a tank or below. It 'heals' itself so whenever I have had anyone out to look at it, or if I go back to it a few hours later, it starts perfectly first time. Which means no-one can diagnose the issue. At my wit's end so any helpful hints or ideas would be useful.

Submitted: 11/02/2015 08:13:17 | ID: 111310

Michelle miskelly , Lincolnshire

Nissan Primera

Hi, i have just purchased my Nissan and the screen display is very dull, i have followed all instructions within manual but can't seem to fix the problem, it doesn't help that i can hardly see it, plus i cant get the blowers to blow nor can i get the front window to de-fog, the back window clears within seconds, again i have followed all instructions, i can alter temperature inside car ect, i can feel a gentle heat but nothing else Please any info or help would be very appreciated. Thanks Michelle

Submitted: 10/02/2015 18:52:05 | ID: 111293

Tony, New Zealand

Nissan Primera

Hi, Can someone please help? My mechanic has replaced 2 sensors and the stepper motor of my 2001 P12 Primera Station Wagon. During colder weather, and sometimes during summer, the car needs to be warmed up first, then turned of for about 20 seconds maybe 30 seconds, so as the limp mode disengages. As you can imagine this is very frustrating, I am very close to taking my car to a transmission specialist. Also John Smith mentions about putting the positive terminal to the earth of the car for about 2 minutes in a lot of the posts. I am guessing doing that is safe as I am tempted to do that myself to my car? Please help super frustrated owner, otherwise car goes like a dream. Thanks in advance

Submitted: 10/02/2015 09:22:12 | ID: 111247

jason, New Zealand

Nissan Primera

Where is the oil filter for the gearbox on a 1999 Nissan Primera or isn`t there one? I need to know before I start working on it

Submitted: 09/02/2015 08:21:21 | ID: 111165

Ade Balogun, Greater London

Nissan Primera

My car came up with a check engine warning sign on the dashboard. What could be the issue please..

Submitted: 05/02/2015 11:58:32 | ID: 110933

Feston Banda, Malawi

Nissan Primera

My nissan primera hard starts and stops just after 3 seconds but theres more than half tank gas, what can be the cause for this?

Submitted: 02/02/2015 05:29:10 | ID: 110706

chris, New Zealand

Nissan Primera

My 94 primera automatic gearbox won't shift into drive. Works fine in 1st and 2nd tho. What is my problem? Is it Easily fixed or do i need to replace the gearbox?

Submitted: 29/01/2015 15:52:50 | ID: 110498

Jan Sayring, New Zealand

Nissan Primera

We have had a 2002 Nissan Primera Japanese import. Over the last year we have had surging problems during long distance travel and when the car stopped it sounded like it was in a low gear, revving and only travelling at about 10 kms/hr when continuing on. We were told it was a sensor in automatic and it was replaced, several months later an engine light appeared on dashboard and we were told it was a crankshaft sensor which was replaced. Just recently we were travelling long distance and surging happened again Nissan said our battery was leaking and the acid was leaking on gearbox sensor. We replaced battery and they said sensor was ok. This week I travelled over steep windy highway and surging occurred again not as bad this time, weather was quite hot. Took to garage and mechanic suggested we replace coils and spark plugs. Car travelled over hilly road ok, but still minor surging. Help - what can it be??

Submitted: 28/01/2015 10:09:10 | ID: 110408

adejorin adebunmi, Nigeria

Nissan Primera

Why is it that my Nissan Primera delays in starting the engine in the morning and also goes off immediately? Even if the car starts you need to put your foot on the accelerator for some time before it will be stable, and lastly when you are driving the car it will start jerking terribly and right now is not even starting again. What do I do please?

Submitted: 21/01/2015 18:22:41 | ID: 110040

Bola, Nigeria

Nissan Primera

The radio set is not coming up,it was displaying a code,I initailly thought it the fuse because some lights were not coming up too but after the fuse were changed. The radio is still not coming up. Pls I need your help,I just got the car. Thanks

Submitted: 20/01/2015 20:30:04 | ID: 109978

ajo xavier, New Zealand

Nissan Primera

I have purchased a 2001 Nissan Primera and the previous owner told me that the mechanic had suggested to change starter motor as soon as possible. It`s a cvt transmission. When it had been changed and I go on the motorway with air conditioning the engine loses power and gears don`t work properly, suddenly the gear goes to 1st or 2nd gear. What could be the problem? Please reply to me

Submitted: 18/01/2015 10:29:20 | ID: 109763

uwana francis , South Yorkshire

Nissan Primera

Every time I put the head light or trafficator on the car slows down very bad, but as soon as i turn the lights off the car will pick up. What is the problem with it and what can I do to help the car. I have only just have it for 3 weeks. Cheers

Submitted: 17/01/2015 15:19:22 | ID: 109724

Sokman, Sweden

Nissan Primera

This is scary. My car drives for over 20 minutes on the highway at a constant speed and suddenly slows down or gets very heavy for about 2 seconds and then takes off again to the previous speed (engine stalls to a stop for a split second and then carries on driving, it's like its going to stop). I don't really know what to do. Please can someone help me?

It could be scv suction control valve on the back of the engine, it happened to mine and my car is a 54 plate p12 engine, changed it then had to reset the computer and it picked up the part. It's complicated but if you Google it it will appear martyn from Caerphilly

Submitted: 16/01/2015 13:45:56 | ID: 109667

Emo, Germany

Nissan Primera

Hello, my Nissan Primera was packed for 3 months when I didn't start it. I wanted to use the car a few days ago and it`s showing me on the dashboard - check engine. What should I do?

Submitted: 16/01/2015 00:27:14 | ID: 109644

Joseph Palmer, Durham

Nissan Primera

Hello, Could you please advise me how I can get fault codes and definition information for my Nissan Primier SE to use with a fault code reader. Many thanks, Joe

Submitted: 15/01/2015 15:26:51 | ID: 109601

Alan, Aberdeenshire

Nissan Primera

My engine warning light has appeared again. This has happened before and my mechanic said it was an o2 sensor, he said I have cleared it now and wait to see if it comes back on. This originally happened about 4 weeks ago and this morning the engine light has reappeared. My question is, is this something that needs to be fixed ASAP or would I be able to still drive it for a couple of weeks till I get paid?

Submitted: 15/01/2015 09:26:02 | ID: 109585

David, Bedfordshire

Nissan Primera

While driving my car engine stalls to a stop for a split second and then carries on driving, it's quite scary when it happens it's like its going to stop and sometimes it's at speed Anybody please know what my problem could be.

Submitted: 09/01/2015 23:57:26 | ID: 109254

Edward, Kenya

Nissan Primera

I have a 2005 Nissan Primera 2.0L petrol SVT. It keeps on losing power sometimes and it idles as if it wants to go off. The idling is not smooth. The problem started when the exhaust broke off at the silencer bit, and I got it fixed but the problem still persists. I have changed the oxygen sensor in the exhaust and also did reset the computer but I can't seem to get the cure for the problem. Could someone please give suggestions of what I can/need to do. I was also thinking of changing its computer with one from a Nissan X-Trail to see if it will fix the problem since X-Trails` power is not affected by the oxygen sensor in the exhaust. Will this work?

Try to check the ignition coils smat from New Zealand

my question is did the fault for your shudder end up being the coils, i have the same problem and not even a Nissan auto service can resolve the problem. Ron from New Zealand

Submitted: 07/01/2015 06:58:37 | ID: 109072

apoola supreme., Nigeria

Nissan Primera

my car security which used to be sound and hazard light flahes is just sound now, no flashes agiain, and this occur immediately after washing the engine with water and soap. why?

Submitted: 28/12/2014 13:37:31 | ID: 108526

apoola supreme., Nigeria

Nissan Primera

my car security which used to be sound and hazard light flahes is just sound now, no flashes agiain, why?

Submitted: 28/12/2014 13:35:08 | ID: 108525

Emal, Sweden

Nissan Primera

Hi friends! I am having starting problem with my car while snow has been started last night and the temperature becomes around -4 c. I was trying to start the car but the only switch lights comes ON on the dashboard but the ignition does not getting sulf. My car has been starting perfectly all the way before when the temperature was normal. Is there any suitable solution to fix it.thank you

Go for a new battery of standard voltage with respect to the car model. EX. A 64 Ampere battery will solve it. Sokman from Sweden

Submitted: 28/12/2014 09:12:13 | ID: 108516

gerry, Latvia

Nissan Primera

Hi,the problem i have with my primera is when the sound alert for a temperature drop sounds off it doesn't stop until i turn off the ignition.It can last for anything up to 30 minutes.Please help me if you can.Thank you.

Submitted: 27/12/2014 20:28:32 | ID: 108501

jo', New Zealand

Nissan Primera

I was driving my car (automatic) 50km when suddenly my car started to speed up even when I took foot of accelerator, I tried to brake but that didn't help, only thing that stopped me was by using the hand brake. I managed to drive safely home after a while and car seems to be driving ok on the way home but now I'm too scared to drive my car out incase it happens again. What could the problem be?

Submitted: 19/12/2014 23:54:37 | ID: 108160

Xarina, Greater London

Nissan Primera

Hi I have a Nissan Primera bought in 2002 brand new. I recently changed the tyres and now find that at times when I brake and come to a stop the car jerks and the engine revs. Could my gator be split?

Submitted: 17/12/2014 20:49:04 | ID: 108066

David WhIttaker, Rhondda Cynon Taf

Nissan Primera

Forgot to add, tried all things like reset ecu by turning ignition on then off after so many seconds and pressing the accelerator reset etc, none any good, just starts and revs up and down then settles back at 1,400 revs. Also no faults showing on diagnostic even after 500 miles of my driving, so even if deleted when I had this car would reshow by now

Submitted: 17/12/2014 18:45:01 | ID: 108057

David WhIttaker, Rhondda Cynon Taf

Nissan Primera

Can anyone help? I am new to this forum and need advice. My Nissan Primera sve cvt year 2005 2,000 petrol tickover speed is too fast when warm at 1,400 revs and as it is automatic sometimes the automatic seems to change down and try to pull even when brakes are applied if I have to stop fast, although alright most of the time. It will not give me enough slowing power when my foot is off the accelerator as revs should be around 700 not 1,400. I have checked no air leak, car has covered 100,000 miles, all services done in book stamped by garages by previous owner. Can anyone tell me how to slow it down 2,000 revs cold, soon warms as said tickover 1,400 revs? Answers much appreciated  Thank you

Submitted: 17/12/2014 18:17:23 | ID: 108054

Tunde Emmanuel Adenigbo, Nigeria

Nissan Primera

My Nissan Primera won't turn on properly and when it eventually comes up the car, especially the engine compartment, will be shaking. This will however stop after about ten to twenty seconds?

Submitted: 17/12/2014 05:20:28 | ID: 108028

Andrew Baldwin, Greater Manchester

Nissan Primera

Hi, my CD player has stopped working and won't eject the CDs that are stored in it. It's a 6 CD player and radio built into the central console of the dashboard. The radio still works however and all the play and eject buttons still light up and flash as they're supposed to but nothing happens. Can you help please? Thanks, Andrew

Submitted: 16/12/2014 16:27:38 | ID: 108002

matildah, Zimbabwe

Nissan Primera

My Nissan Primera judders. What may be the problem?

Submitted: 12/12/2014 07:32:48 | ID: 107754

James, Ireland

Nissan Primera

Hi there, my radio is playing up, my left hand speakers work when the radio is on but my right hand ones don't and when I put a cd in to play just my front right hand speaker works but very poorly. When I put my volume up to the max you would think it was only up about 2 or 3 levels. How can I fix this problem?

Submitted: 11/12/2014 10:04:16 | ID: 107715

tano449@gmail.com, Berkshire

Nissan Primera

The air cond is not working. How can i raise the hight of the.. car ?thanks

Submitted: 10/12/2014 04:48:41 | ID: 107657