NISSAN PRIMASTAR questions and answers

NISSAN Primastar

Ask and answer questions on a variety of NISSAN PRIMASTAR models. Help and advice on everything NISSAN PRIMASTAR. Feel free to ask and answer as many NISSAN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest NISSAN PRIMASTAR questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Denis, Ireland

Nissan Primastar

Hi there, I've a 2004 Nissan Primastar and the internal lights in the cab and in the back loading area will not come on when I open any door. They will turn on manually however. Any tips would be appreciated & welcomed. Cheers...

Submitted: 24/07/2014 15:40:03 | ID: 100285

CHRIS HENDY, Hampshire

Nissan Primastar

HI I HAVE A NISSAN PRIMSTAR 1995CC 2009 DCI 115SE VAN IT HAS 34000 MILES ON CLOCK ,SUFFERING FROM LACK OF POWER. WILL NOT REV ABOVE 2700RPM .THE EGR VALVE SEEMS FAIRLY CLEAN .HAVE TACKEN INJECTORS FOR TESTING AND BEEN TOLD,THAT IF FAULTY,WILL COST £185 +VAT EACH. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A CHEAPER ALTERNATIVE MANY THANKS CHRIS HENDY.WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED

Submitted: 22/07/2014 20:04:46 | ID: 100175

mike, South Africa

Nissan Primastar

Fan motor will not come on and is causing van to over heat

Submitted: 22/07/2014 20:02:19 | ID: 100174

James Sunderland, Tyne and Wear

Nissan Primastar

Hi, my nissan primastar 57reg has a squeal when ignitions turned on & off coming from cab heater ? behind radio. Any help would be appreciated .rhodg43

Submitted: 08/07/2014 23:05:28 | ID: 99279

james, Tyne and Wear

Nissan Primastar

When my ignition is switched on and off a squealing noise comes from the cab heater. What can it be?

Submitted: 07/07/2014 23:15:07 | ID: 99197

Thomas, Dublin

Nissan Primastar

How much oil does Nissin primestar take when you service it

Check out http://cararac.com/engine_oil/nissan/primastar.htmlJohn Smith from New Zealand

If you buy a 5 litre container of oil it will take all of it when doing an oil change. Glyn from Bristol

Submitted: 31/05/2014 12:58:42 | ID: 96582

annieweb200301@msn.com, Swansea

Nissan Primastar

HI I've recently bought van what's the problem when glow plug light comes on and engine cuts out?Also the door light on dash stays on when all doors are shut.Finally how do I get a new remote button? Many thanks Tony Webster

The glowplug light problem is the boost pressure sensor. Get a new one on ebay about £20. william murphy from Antrim

Submitted: 24/05/2014 19:49:36 | ID: 96082

humphreys, Nottinghamshire

Nissan Primastar

hi i just brought a 2004 nissam primastar the battery has gone flat and the drivers door barrel is missing i guess a temted breakin how do i unlock the drivers door without the key and a flat battery many thanks in advance dave

Submitted: 17/05/2014 15:48:26 | ID: 95616

sean mc intyre, Ireland

Nissan Primastar

my 1.9 primestar van [2005] the speedo will not work at times it may work for 4 or 5 miles then it flutters and stops also heater plug light comes on regards sean

Submitted: 25/04/2014 12:15:26 | ID: 94707

Simon, Northamptonshire

Nissan Primastar

My nissan primastar 2002 cdi100se van starts first turn and runs for about 10 minuets but then the engine light comes on and it dies,after about 2 hours when it is completely cold it will start again and do the same? Any help would be well received,thanks.

Submitted: 15/04/2014 18:03:27 | ID: 94265

Phil Tidd, England

Nissan Primastar 2007

Why are my Nissan Primastar`s wipers on intermittent all of the time? As soon as I turn the key on they come. I changed the motor because I was told it was the parking fingers inside. Any ideas? (115 SE)

Submitted: 14/03/2014 12:40:02 | ID: 62787

Trevor, Ireland

Nissan Primastar 2007

Hi all, recently all of a sudden the steering on my Nissan Primastar has developed slight stiffness when turning, i.e. if I turn the steering wheel left to right it doesn’t turn smoothly, it feels that at certain points there is stiffness like notches. The alternator belt is okay and there is no sign of a leak from the power steering fluid. Has anyone ever had this problem or share an idea? (dci 115)

2nd reply check lower half of steering column. Separate shaft under dash at knee level and wiggle bottom section. You will find it stiff. Go to Vauxhall for replacement . £25 cheaper than Renault/Nissan jon davis from Somerset

Submitted: 06/03/2014 08:43:05 | ID: 62571

Shay Kennedy, Ireland

Nissan Primastar 2007

I have a 2007 Nissan Primastar and the foam in the driver`s seat bottom and back has gone soft and flat. As the newer Primastars I believe have an armrest built into them, will the driver`s seat out of a 2007 Interstar which came with an armrest on the driver`s seat fit the Primastar?

Submitted: 27/02/2014 14:49:42 | ID: 62402

Paul Netticadan, India

Nissan Primastar 2012

We have a Nissan Primastar van chassis no: VSKF4B1DTUY636930 and the vehicle’s electrical gear lever is not functioning properly. There is no power supply in the gear lever and gears are not engaging or moving. There is no movement manually or automatically. Please does anybody know what the problem could be? Is this an electrical problem or mechanical? (PRIMASTAR AUTOMATIC SE 2.0 DCI 115)

Submitted: 25/02/2014 08:44:48 | ID: 62330

David Livingstone, Yorkshire

Nissan Primastar 2004

Hi. My problem is the ABS and service light on my Nissan Primastar come on from time to time. After switching off the ignition and then restarting the van the lights go off at about 5mph, but then come on again sometimes after just a few miles, sometimes quite a lot of miles. Does anyone know what`s causing this please? (Primastar 1.9 diesel)

You have an ABS sensor failed on one of the brakes (one to each brake caliper) take to a garage where they can diagnose which sensor it is. Glyn from Bristol

Submitted: 11/02/2014 11:12:54 | ID: 61995

Steve Russell, Kent

Nissan Primastar 2007

My Nissan Primastar`s factory fitted alarm appears not to work. Any ideas? (Dci 115)

Submitted: 04/02/2014 12:08:22 | ID: 60500

Ramas Martusevicius, Ireland

Nissan Primastar 2007

Hi. The wipers on my Nissan Primastar van work for about 5 minutes then stop. The front don`t work until I turn off the engine and wait 10-15 minutes when they`ll works again for 5 minutes. I have changed the motor, switch, relay but I don’t know what else it could be? Any ideas please?

Submitted: 27/01/2014 12:02:36 | ID: 61340

Ram Odedra, England

Nissan Primastar 2009

Hi. I’ve got a Nissan Primastar 115 dci which is smoking and consumes more fuel. Can anyone give me any advice please?

Submitted: 24/01/2014 12:46:04 | ID: 59024

Brett, Derbyshire

Nissan Primastar 2004

How do I reset the service light on a 2004 Nissan Primastar?

Switch on the ignition but do not start the engine. Within 10 seconds of switching on. Floor the accelerator and hold it down. With accelerator still held down dab the footbrake six times. All to be done within 10 seconds of switching on the ignition. This works on my 2010 115SE Steve from Lancashire

Submitted: 20/01/2014 12:03:33 | ID: 60425

Dave Noble, Yorkshire

Nissan Primastar 2007

My Nissan Primastar’s glow plug / coil light comes on randomly and it starts to lose power, but if I turn the engine off and restart it drives normally again. Please can anyone help?

Can’t help, but I have a similar problem with my ’06 100dci, if anyone can help? Mine started doing that intermittently. Now the light comes on pretty much as soon as it’s started and stays on. Engine runs ok-ish but with flat spots and on full throttle feels like someone keeps dabbing a foot on the brake. Already had one diagnostic check that said it was the lambda sensor, but when I tried to buy one was told this van doesn’t have one! Hence I’m a bit unwilling to pay £45+ for another "diagnosis". Chris Foxwell from Cornwall

Mass airflow sensor. Leon M from Suffolk

If this is not too late, the turbo wastgate solenoid. It’s mounted on near side, under the master cylinder wiring and two vac pipes go to it. If it doesn’t rattle when shaken it’s had it! Dipstick from Devon

Its the breather pipe between the boost presure sensor and the intake body . theres a little nipple behinde the egr valve and it gets blocked with carbon try taking the top intercooler pipe offand the breather pipe and try pushing small through the hole i think u will find its blocked . Craig from Tyne and Wear

Submitted: 06/01/2014 11:03:47 | ID: 53397

Gerard Sauvage, Shropshire

Nissan Primastar 2002

My Nissan Primastar has had a service and the airbag light has been on since buying the van a year ago. Recently the door open light is on and beeps when you lock but it still locks. I ran out of diesel recently and since then the engine management light has been flashing fast and the stop light is on all of the time. I was towed to a garage and charged £120 for them to say there is no fault on the OBD scanner. I have driven a long distance and it`s normal and always a good runner. How can I reset the warning lights? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Submitted: 02/01/2014 11:52:09 | ID: 60042

Wayne, England

Nissan Primastar 2006

My Nissan Primastar van 56 plate was leaking water and I was told it was the water pump. On my way to the garage to have this repaired a stop light came on the dash. As I pulled over all the power went and now it won`t tick over. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

I had the same problem. I changed the air flow meter and fuel filter plus seal and it’s like a new van. Roy Mills from England

Submitted: 10/12/2013 15:04:51 | ID: 59051

Kenny Dalton, Ireland

Nissan Primastar 2011

I have a 2011 Nissan Primastar. Recently the glow plug warning light has come on and the the engine warning lamp. Anyone any ideas on what this might be? Many thanks. (DCI115)

Submitted: 06/12/2013 11:51:50 | ID: 58843

Dave Moore, Lincolnshire

Nissan Primastar 2006

My Nissan Primastar`s interior lights don’t come on when opening the sliding door. Does anybody know if they are meant to or not? If not any idea on how to add some? (Dci 100)

Mine’s come on OK. Is the roof light switch in the correct position? Does it even work when you switch it on manually? Kenny Dalton from Ireland

Submitted: 14/11/2013 09:50:12 | ID: 57799

Jacqui Coleman, County Armagh

Nissan Primastar 2009

I am having a problem with the back doors of my Nissan Primastar van. They either won’t unlock themselves or the handle is stuck. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had same problem. Rear door hinges can get strained very easily. Often had doors that wouldn’t close. I stuck a crow bar between the side of the van and the hinge, coaxing the doors until they met more evenly. Did the job. Kenny Dalton from Ireland

Submitted: 07/11/2013 09:39:36 | ID: 57441

Aaron Evans, England

Nissan Primastar 2007

My Nissan Primastar`s trip computer keeps resetting when starting up. What should I do?

Submitted: 25/10/2013 15:13:04 | ID: 56665

David Clarke, Sussex

Nissan Primastar 2004

My Nissan Primastar`s cooling fan will not stop unless the engine is off and the temperature gauge on the dash will not work. The gauge will rise to normal temperature when the ignition is turned on but then drops to cold after about 3 seconds. If I turn the key and start the engine straight away when warm the needle does not move at all. I have replaced the thermostat and fan switch and changed the coolant and bled the system but to no avail. Has anyone any ideas please? Thanks. (dci 100)

Sounds like the temperature sensor, replaced mine and fine. Glyn from Bristol

Submitted: 03/10/2013 10:30:34 | ID: 55759

Wayne Higgins, England

Nissan Primastar 2006

Could anyone please tell me where the speed sensor is located on my Nissan Primastar 06 please? It`s not working and my abs light is also on and I`ve been told the two problems may be connected?

There’s a little multi plug under the passenger seat, if it comes undone the abs light will come on, worthwhile checking Tommy from Sussex

Submitted: 19/09/2013 15:58:45 | ID: 54605

Khalid Nadeem, England

Nissan Primastar 2009

I have a Nissan Primastar minibus automatic and my problem is once a week my minibus breaks down because of it`s gearbox. I am not sure what`s going on with the gears. I come to first gear and the minibus stops. I have to turn it off and start it again and then it drives fine, but it`s happening once or twice a week now and I`m not sure if the problem is with the gears or sensor. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 19/09/2013 15:12:57 | ID: 54611

Amit Parekh, London

Nissan Primastar 2012

The problem we have is that the vehicle’s electrical gear leaver is not functioning properly. There is no power supply in the gear lever. The vehicles gear are not engaging and moving. There is no movement manually or automatically. Please let us know what would be the problem. The indication shoes check gear box. Is there an electrical problem or mechanical, please advise. Chassis no-VSKF4B1DTUY636930. Year Manf-2012. Nissan PRIMASTAR AUTOMATIC SE 2.0 DCI 115.

Hi, I’m looking to the same answer. I got 2009 Primastar with the same problem. I took to Nissan many times but still have the same problem. If you find the answer can you share with me please my email is ndmir@hotmail.com Khalid Nadeem from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 17/09/2013 11:46:57 | ID: 54310

Jonathan Douglin, Barbados

Nissan Primastar 2001

Where on this Nissan Primastar is the thermostat position? A diagram would be useful. The water pump was changed and it`s overheating and I believe the thermostat needs changing. Can anyone help please?

The Thermostat is located as you look in the engine bay to the right, just below the air intake. The housing holds the temp sender unit as well it also has 4 pipes going to and from it and 3 wires going to the unit that are brown and violet. Hope this helps. David Clarke from Sussex

Submitted: 02/09/2013 09:24:21 | ID: 53872

Rob, England

Nissan Primastar 2007

Hi, my Nissan Primastar`s alarm keeps going off when I start the engine. It only happens after the doors have been locked, the hazard lights do not flash and I can drive it. The alarm goes through 11 cycles then stops. Also does anyone know where the siren is so I can block it up while I work on it, or does it have an override? I can`t see anything in the manual Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Submitted: 29/08/2013 14:49:43 | ID: 93205

Michelle, Ireland

Nissan Primastar 2011

Hi, my 2011 Nissan Primastar van was overheating, I had to put coolant and water in as it was empty, but it should not have been. I now have to put 2-3 litres of water a day into it. There is no leak, so where is the water going or what is going on please?

The water, she’s just evaporating. Don’t worry, when it rains you get it back Tony from Essex

Cracked eng block, water out of the exhaust. Brett Pete from England

Submitted: 22/08/2013 15:59:29 | ID: 53511

Mark Wildgoose, England

Nissan Primastar 2004

Can anyone tell me if there is a low pressure fuel pump in the tank on a 2004 Nissan Primastar? Also any advice on how to bleed air from the fuel system would be appreciated, thanks. (panel van)

Hi, I have got the exact 2004 van as yours, which has just developed a fuel problem. Anyway, the first thing I checked was the lift pump in the tank, but after a couple hours removing the tank i found it does not have one in there’ only the fuel gauge sender unit, so my problem is finding out where (if any) it is! Good luck with yours and hope this helps. Simon Quigley from England

Submitted: 06/08/2013 15:18:13 | ID: 53355

Johan Fourie, South Africa

Nissan Primastar 2011

Please can anybody send me a lay-out of the Nissan Primastar 1.9 Dci fuel pump wiring and where does the pump sit in the tank? I can feel two thin wires on top of the tank but I am sure they are the level sensor wires. Is it an electrical pump or a mechanical one? Thank you.

Submitted: 30/07/2013 09:45:14 | ID: 53125

Martin Corrigan, Ireland

Nissan Primastar 2004

The alternator is gone in my Nissan Primastar. I would be grateful if anyone could tell me what I need to strip off to get at it and replace it etc? How do I go about it in general, whether from the front or underneath etc? Also what price are they secondhand or reconditioned?

Submitted: 25/06/2013 15:17:24 | ID: 91922

John Hunt, Essex

Nissan Primastar 2008

Hi. My Nissan Primastar van loses power. It will drive fine then will stop at lights and if I put my foot down to drive on there`s nothing. It takes about 10 seconds for it to pick up. It`s not doing it all of the time but it`s getting worse. Can anyone help? Thanks. (auto)

Submitted: 20/06/2013 10:26:06 | ID: 91855

Neil Lumsden, Spain

Nissan Primastar 2005

I have had problems with my 2005 1.9dci Nissan Primastar. It was having trouble revving and getting going of a morning. It pulls away but very flat then it kicks in and away it goes. Went to a garage today who cleared all faults and put a new fuel filter in for me. Now it won’t go over 40 kmh. It’s totally flat and won’t go anywhere. Please help!!!

I had the same problem, and it was tracked down to a faulty EGR valve. Changed it and no probs since! Steve from England

Submitted: 29/05/2013 08:40:24 | ID: 55456

Jim MaCleod, England

Nissan Primastar 2007

Hi guys. I am having problems with my Nissan Primastar`s factory fitted alarm which keeps going off randomly at night when everyone is sleeping. I have checked all door sensors and the cab lights go off when the doors are closed and all windows are shut. When setting the alarm it used to lock without any problem, but now I always get one bleep from the vehicle when locked. If I hold the locking button for more than 2 seconds I get another bleep to say the volumetric protection is disabled. Can anyone advise me please? Thanks.

Hi, if it beeps once it means a door has not broken courtesy light switch circuit properly. Best way to check is lock van and then pull handles on each door firmly you will then find out which switch it is. Normally it’s drivers door, another tell tale sign is interior light will come on and go off randomly when driving. Hope this helps Ian Sleeman from England

You need to replace the hazard light switch common fault. It's easy to change costs about £15.00. Ed from Ireland

Submitted: 26/04/2013 11:14:41 | ID: 93395

Steve, Ireland

Nissan Primastar 2007

My Nissan Primastar van is hard to start in the mornings. When it does start it is smoky (grey) for maybe 10 seconds or so but seems to drive 100% apart from this. A brand new fully serviced engine was fitted 50,000 kms ago. It has had a pinking type rattle between 1750 and 2250 revs since the new engine was fitted. What can I do about this? (115hp)

Submitted: 28/03/2013 12:46:54 | ID: 63973