NISSAN MICRA questions and answers: Page 4

NISSAN Micra

Ask and answer questions on a variety of NISSAN MICRA models. Help and advice on everything NISSAN MICRA. Feel free to ask and answer as many NISSAN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest NISSAN MICRA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Sue Way, Hampshire

Nissan Micra 2005

My Nissan Micra`s driver`s door rubber button has stopped working so I have to use the fob. Is it a fuse or how can I fix it? Also the intermittent windscreen wipers do not work or the automatic sensor. What should I do?

Submitted: 15/03/2013 09:48:14 | ID: 91650

Mark Whitaker, England

Nissan Micra 2002

Hi. My Nissan Micra 02 plate auto trans has been cutting out on hills and when I do an emergency stop. I have just had the fuel punp replaced but that hasn`t solved the problem. My brother-in law is a mechanic and has plugged the car in to diagnostics but no problems have occurred, but he did mention that the revs were ’searching’ (a mechanical term I think). Any help would be much appreciated as I need the car for work purposes. Does anyone have any suggestions please? Thank you. (automatic)

Submitted: 13/03/2013 11:40:14 | ID: 91611

Sarah Bateman, England

Nissan Micra 2006

I`m getting confused. I like the Nissan Micra but what is the difference between the 1.2 Spirita and the 1.2 Initia? I have been looking at the 1.2 XS as it has a little more than the standards but have no idea about the other two variations. Can anyone advise me please?

Submitted: 06/03/2013 09:38:45 | ID: 53049

Dave, Cheshire

Nissan Micra 2008

My Nissan Micra`s front passenger seat won’t release easily to let passengers get into the back. I sense that the seat is not sitting squarely on the runners so the release mechanism is jamming. What can I do?

Submitted: 01/03/2013 10:50:06 | ID: 91043

Fraser Crosby, England

Nissan Micra 2003

My Nissan Micra`s windscreen wipers seem to turn on randomly and will not turn off. They do stop eventually, but for no apparent reason and they also seem to stop temporarily when I am stationary in traffic. Presumably this is an electrical issue? I am reluctant to take it to the Nissan dealer who want to charge me £65 just to diagnose the problem. Can anyone advise me what to do? Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

I had the same problem with mine after going to numerous garages, I eventuaaly replaced my windscreen washer pump motor, problem solved Terry Atherton from England

Submitted: 22/02/2013 12:53:51 | ID: 90929

Mazhar Imran, Scotland

Nissan Micra 2004

Hi. I have a problem with my 2004 Nissan Micra`s power steering light on the dashboard. I took it to the garage who said change the whole power steering column. I changed it with a used power steering column but two days later the light has come back again. I don’t know what`s going on or what I can do now. Please can anybody advise me?

It is your Power Steering Motor. You could either have the fault code cleared and see if the problem returns. If so then you need to replace power steering motor. Cost around £70 - £100 from scrapyard Jav from Yorkshire

Submitted: 21/02/2013 10:20:14 | ID: 90837

Neil Marsden, Lancashire

Nissan Micra 2007

When I try to start my Nissan Micra first time, it won`t turn over and there is just a clicking sound, but after trying several times and waiting it finally starts. Could this be the starter motor? (Spirita)

I had that problem intermittently for no apparent reason. I changed the Battery to a High Powered one and so far is working fine. Look for a Battery with the HIGHEST "Cold Crank" number you can find!! Mike from Surrey

Could be a bad earth, corrosion likely. Check battery leads are tight and secure Afi Aslam from England

Submitted: 14/02/2013 09:43:31 | ID: 90608

Gra Jones, Kent

Nissan Micra 2004

I bought a 2004 Nissan Micra and the battery goes flat overnight for no reason. I called a mechanic, changed the battery for brand new and it happened again three weeks later. I called a mechanic again, he charged it and could find no reason for the battery to drain. Is there a fault with my immobiliser or radio which may be doing this? I know some cars have faults which only happen to that model. Does the Micra have one?

I had the same problem and turned out to be the light in my boot. AA man removed it and hey presto, end of problem. It could be this Jan Nayler from England

I had the same problem from time to time as well. I then looked for a New Battery with the Highest "Cold Crank" number I could find and that, so far, has fixed the problem. That was 3 months ago and not even once has it NOT started. Time will tell if that is "the" fix Mike from Surrey

I had this problem and believe it or not it was the car stereo that was draining the battery. I changed the stereo and never had this problem since Sarah Connolly from Essex

Submitted: 11/02/2013 14:02:44 | ID: 90440

Hannah Miller, Lanarkshire

Nissan Micra 2005

I bought my Nissan Micra in October 2012. It has done 30,000 miles. Twice in the past 6 weeks the engine has been completely empty of oil and black smoke is coming out. I bought it from a garage and it had 2 previous owners. Does anyone think it has been clocked by the previous owners?

Did you find out what was wrong with your car? I have the same problem my car, has only done 44 thousand miles and is drinking oil Zoe England from England

Black smoke is rich mixture too much petrol or is it diesel? White smoke is oil burning if a sensor is giving wrong reading it will not do it any good. Get someone to scan it and check for coolant temp and air intake temp. If they are miles out change the sensors Anthony Ward from England

Submitted: 07/02/2013 14:12:22 | ID: 90291

Mike, Surrey

Nissan Micra 1993

My Nissan Micra has a headlights problem. I was driving during the daytime and thought I heard a slight "sizzling" sound, but thought nothing more of it (it may be nothing to do with problem). Later when I came to drive home in the evening I found that only one headlight worked, (driver`s side) and neither of the parking lights (first notch on the stalk). I changed the bulbs and still find I have the same problem. I checked the fuses under the bonnet but all seems okay. Are there any other fuses it could be? I couldn`t quite work out if maybe there are some fuses that are relevant in the box under the steering wheel to the right side? So in short I only have one main beam on the driver`s side and the rest don`t work. Can anyone help me? (1.0 16v)

Sounds like light swich gone wrong, common fault Anthony Ward from England

@Anthony Ward Here’s what happened to me, so people can learn from my "mistakes". All of sudden I found that I ONLY had 1 main beam and NO dip beams. All other lights worked fine. So, I assumed, wrongly, it was the bulbs and went got 2 bulbs and replaced them. Was quite fiddly job. That did NOT fix problem. I then found the FUSE BOX near to the battery and under the bonnet!!!. 1 of the 2 connectors, on 1 of the fuses, in that fuse box was half length other one was. So I replaced that fuse with new one. Still did NOT fix problem. So I bought a column switch (the one on the steering wheel switches lights on) . Fitted it but that did NOT work. THEN I checked the way I had REconnected the socket at the back of one of the headlights after I changed the bulb. I THEN found I had NOT fitted it back correctly and it FIXED (yippee) the problem! So long and short, all along the problem had been the FUSE in the Fuse Box that is near to the Battery Under the Bonnet!! I now have the Column Switch listed on Ebay in case anyone needs one!! Mike from Surrey

Submitted: 04/02/2013 12:08:55 | ID: 90221

Marvin, Suriname

Nissan Micra 2004

My Nissan Micra keeps sticking in third gear when starting cold. After half an hour I have to switch the engine off and restart, then it will drive normally. If I drive in third gear it will stay in this gear unless the car is warmed up and I have to switch off and then restart. Is this an electrical problem? Any suggestions?

Submitted: 22/01/2013 09:38:06 | ID: 89121

Darren Rutland, England

Nissan Micra 2004

My 2004 Nissan Micra 1.2 automatic`s abs light has come on and the speedo has stopped working. I have had it plugged in to a diagnostic machine and the fault was can bus comms error? All the wheel speed sensors were tested and working as they should. Any ideas? (1.2 auto)

Submitted: 21/01/2013 15:21:04 | ID: 89014

Charles Bruce, Ireland

Nissan Micra 1996

I have been driving a 1996 Nissan March for the past 16 months and it`s due for a National Car Test (roadworthiness test). Any time I press the brake, even when the engine is off, the front and back lights come on. I thought it was not an issue as the car still drives great. A mechanic pointed this out to me and said I should either have it checked out by an auto electrician or just send it for the test and see how it goes. Does anyone think it might fail the test if I do nothing about it? (Nissan March Automatic)

Hi, on a Micra, brake lights work with ignition on or off, in other words all the time your foot is on the brake pedal. The second part of the question, front lights come on when pressing brake pedal is caused by the wrong lamp (bulb) being fitted as a brake lamp. A single type lamp has been fitted eg 21 watt. A stop and tail lamp should be fitted, eg,5w / 21 watt lamp. This lamp also has offset location pins on the side of the lamp, thanks Phil Inge from England

I would say the problem could be an earthing fault. The brake lights are "live" on most Nissans when the ignition is switched off. Hope you get the problem sorted Keith Derham from County Tyrone

Submitted: 14/01/2013 08:54:09 | ID: 67726

Ian, England

Nissan Micra 2003

Hi there, I have a 1.2 Nissan Micra S and it`s seats are horribly uncomfortable. I do 500+ miles a week and am fed up of having continual backache. Are there any comfier seats that are a straight swop from other models? I know the facelift models have different seats but can’t find any information about what was actually changed and if they`re any better? (1.2 S)

Submitted: 10/01/2013 09:16:31 | ID: 67652

James Milroy, Lancashire

Nissan Micra 2004

My Micra cranks but doesn’t start. Upon diagnostic being done it shows P0340: Camshaft Position Senso "A" Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor). I put in genuine Nissan camshaft position sensor in it but no help. A mechanic also tried changing Crankshaft sensor, but that also went in vain. I press full gas pedal to start the car, but this is not usual or good way. I will really appreciate if you could tell what could be the reason for problem. Thanks. (1.2)

My sister in law has a Nissan March that had same problem and she almost spent a grand with mechanics trying to fix and clear the check engine light. Upon further diagnosing we managed to rewire the engine coolant sensor and bingo... it starts in a single half crank... I mean tip start Rukshar Khan from Fiji

I’m afraid it is the timing chain; it stretches over time causing the timing to go out. Not a easy fix, common problem on k12 Micras Afi Aslam from England

Submitted: 08/01/2013 09:49:26 | ID: 67271

Sam, Australia

Nissan Micra 2007

My Nissan Micra`s handbrake warning sound stays on all the time except when the car is not moving. This continual beeping is driving me crazy. I was wondering if anyone knows why this is happening?

Submitted: 08/01/2013 08:43:50 | ID: 67211

Christian Concepcion, Middlesex

Nissan Micra 2003

My Nissan Micra drives perfectly if my headlights are not on. If I turn them on there is a sudden change of speed. It feels like the engine is struggling to pick up. I need help to figure it out what is causing the this problem. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried checking the fuses? Or even changing the lamps? Gilbert Osei from Italy

This problem sounds like an earthing problem, similar to the question below. Hope you get it sorted Keith Derham from Northern Ireland

Submitted: 07/01/2013 14:06:40 | ID: 64426

Andrew Lynch, Renfrewshire

Nissan Micra 2002

How do I get it to open up my Nissan Micra`s underbonnet fuse box for the head lights.? Do I have to take the whole thing off? I can`t get into fuses and am frightened in case I break it.

Yes, headlights and front bumper lol Andy Hornyak from England

Left headlamp completely off, also take the grille off the left hand side and remove the indicator. If you have hands/arms that aren’t too big, and you have a decent socket, you won’t have to take the whole bumper off, just reach up around to the other side of the headlight and find the bolt with your fingers, then remove it Jay from New Zealand

Submitted: 07/01/2013 12:12:38 | ID: 66964

Emily Hooper, Berkshire

Nissan Micra 2009

I have a great little Nissan Micra that I have owned for six months. Today I went to put down the 60/40 split rear seats and whilst the 40 went down easily the 60 lever is jammed and will not budge. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a simple solution that will avoid a visit to a dealer? (1.2 Acenta)

Submitted: 07/01/2013 11:53:10 | ID: 67076

Jess Squires, England

Nissan Micra 2000

I have just bought this Nissan Micra and driven it home. The engine temperature is normal and outer fans blow hot air when the heater is on, but the middle fans are blowing cold air only. I have read that they are designed this way but am worried in case it`s a head gasket problem. Any advice? (celebration)

Submitted: 04/01/2013 12:39:35 | ID: 73235

Afzal Khair, England

Nissan Micra 1994

My car is a Nissan Micra 1.3 Auto 1994 5 Doors. It has started to leak just under the dash board, above the foot well, on both sides. I`ve changed the windscreen seal and sealed the sunroof. All the door seals are in good order. It’s doing my head in. Every time it rains the foot wells are full of water. Any ideas?

Hi if it’s like my 1996 k11 Micra, if you open the bonnet you will find each side by where the hinges are there are water drainage passage ways. It has not happend to me but I have read about these getting blocked with leaves and soaking the footwells so I would have a look and see if these are clear Eric from England

My son had the same problem with his Daewoo Matiz, it turned out it was the heating matrix and the fluid that was seeping through was coolant. Has it got a sweet smell? If so that’s coolant. My son’s car is 10 year old the garage reckons it’s gonna cost about £400 pound to fix, or they could have sealed off the hoses, but he would have had no heat. I took the next option, they put some kind of fluid in the radiator that seals up little holes etc, and problem sorted, although I have to say that that just a temp fix, but could last for ages. My son got his done November ’13 and it’s still running great. Good luck :) Barbara T from Scotland

Submitted: 03/01/2013 15:24:18 | ID: 66536

Chris Davies, Cheshire

Nissan Micra 2005

My Nissan Micra is in a local garage having had the steering column and motor replaced (a common problem I understand). The garage have just phoned me to say the car is ready for collection apart from the rev counter not working correctly! I told them I’d never previously had a problem with it, they told me they don’t believe it’s anything they could have done as they didn’t work anywhere near the rev counter. Any suggestions as to what it could be? Cheers. (1.2 5 door)

Submitted: 14/12/2012 09:32:50 | ID: 65502

Richard Milone, England

Nissan Micra 2005

My Nissan Micra`s fan is stuck on. I think I need a new air con rad? What is an up rated intercooler? Is this expensive to fix? (CDi)

Submitted: 06/12/2012 09:56:41 | ID: 63871

Dee Briston, Dorset

Nissan Micra

Last night my husband started up my Nissan Micra and put some anti freeze in and let the car run for a while. When I went out to start the car, absolutely nothing! It won’t turn over. Nothing was left on last night so I don`t think it is the battery. My little car always used to start whenever I got in but now it won’t so what could have happened by putting anti freeze in? Any help/guidance gratefully received! Thank you.

Check for corroded fuses connected to the battery positive terminal. Very common issue Drew from England

Two possible issues: Do dashboard lights turn on? Flat Battery: Don’t try a jump start, better from other car’s battery. Flooded Engine: Caused by a broken HEAD GASKET: it leaks inside the engine, when you add Antifreeze. remove all spark plugs and try turning the engine; Indeed it wont start; but will turn and spray Water from the flooded cylinder. My 2 pence.- Javier Ruperez from Spain.

Submitted: 30/11/2012 12:50:10 | ID: 63637

Jennifer Lea, England

Nissan Micra 2004

I have a problem where my Nissan Micra`s fan belt keeps snapping. I took it to the garage and they have replaced it 4 times in a month.. They cannot see why it keeps happening, they had another Micra at the garage so looked at that one and it was exactly the same as mine. They thought it might have been the tensioner but that looks fine! Before it snaps it starts making a ticking noise for a bit then it snaps and the battery light comes on. Can anyone think of anything that might be causing this?

Possible bent pulley, hard to spot. Change it and you will be happy again Afi Aslam from England

Sounds like your alternator bearing(s) are seizing/shot causing the belt to snap K D from Lancashire

Submitted: 29/11/2012 15:52:22 | ID: 63881

Garnet Britton, England

Nissan Micra 1996

I fitted a new clutch plate and cover plus bearing to my Nissan Micra, put it all back together but now cannot engage the gears. What`s wrong?

You may not have not aligned the clutch plates properly (most likely) jlo jluyh from England

Submitted: 26/11/2012 12:31:04 | ID: 63369

Noreen Doherty, Ireland

Nissan Micra 2007

We bought a secondhand Nissan Micrain in April 2012 and to date the boot has been playing up with clicking noises, even when I am driving the boot opens and unlocks itself. Just today when I opened the boot it would not close again, therefore we have it unlocked in the driveway. The other doors are locked when you try to lock it with the key. Any suggestions on what we can do to fix this problem please.? (1.2)

The cause of your problem is ingress of water into the rear lock switch. If you have any practical skills the lock assy can be removed, the switch dismantled and carefully dried with a hair drier. When you reasembleuse a sealer, bath sealer will do providing it’s the waterproof variety Bob Maple from England

Submitted: 26/11/2012 10:15:35 | ID: 63335

Josephine Houghton, England

Nissan Micra 2005

My Nissan Micra`s ps light came on the other day and the steering went stiff but it corrected itself. It has done the same again today but the ps light has stayed on and the steering has remained stiff. Any ideas? Thanks. (Auto)

The same problem happened to my Micra (2003 3 door), one day it went off then another day it came on and didn’t go off, had to get a new steering column, luckily the car was still under warranty. Common problem apparently Sophie from England

Submitted: 19/11/2012 10:39:30 | ID: 93288

Geoff Hall, Cheshire

Nissan Micra 2009

I’ve just changed the headlamp bulbs on my wife`s Nissan Micra and now the headlamp alignment is miles out! I don’t know how I’ve managed to do this by just replacing bulbs with the headlamps in situ. Can anyone help please?

Hi, you have got the bulb in the wrong way or not seated correctly, this will ruin the alignment Rob Brown from England

Submitted: 19/11/2012 10:22:06 | ID: 93056

Nagula, London

Nissan Micra 2000

My Nissan Micra (2000) does not go up hills on cold early mornings, just after I have started the engine. It does go up hills fine at any other time of the day. Does anyone know why?

Submitted: 19/11/2012 10:12:02 | ID: 66597

Dave Gilchrist, Essex

Nissan Micra 1998

My Nissan Micra has started to lose oil, but it only does it occassionally. It will leave a large oil stain then nothing for a a week or so, then it’ll drop another large stain. Why does it leak sometimes?

Submitted: 19/11/2012 09:27:47 | ID: 93262

Jamila Begum, Hertfordshire

Nissan Micra 2007

My Nissan Micra`s engine is making a slight rattly noise when the engine is turned on and the car is stationary, is this something to worry about? (SR 1.6)

It could be your heat deflector on the front box of your exaust system? Cause that sounds like the problem I had so I fixed it by using 2 jubilee clips... problem solved... hope that is some help? Simon from England

Timing chain slack. They are tensioned I believe by the engine oil. Check oil level and top up if necessary. This is the cheapest option if noise still persists it may need a new chain which with labour your talking hundreds of pounds from Nissan Nicola Conroy from Rhondda Cynon Taff

Submitted: 16/11/2012 14:03:06 | ID: 93058

Gabriela Briazu, England

Nissan Micra 2001

My Nissan Micra`s engine management light came on and stays lit at all times. Is this an urgent thing to address to a garage? It seems that the fuel consumption is quite high (about 38 miles/gallon ) and it`s losing power when going uphill. What could be the cause of this? I`ve had this car since last September and only started driving it about a month ago. How much should I worry about this management light? I have no clue about mechanics. Can anyone please help? Thank you. (automatic)

I have exactly the same problem with my Micra. My fuel consumption is very high too and the power is low. I feel like there is no oomph to the engine. I have had another one before and it was nothing like this!! I also hope it is not a massive problem too! Sara Billows from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 15/11/2012 12:55:14 | ID: 92953

Luke, Gloucestershire

Nissan Micra 2005

I have an 05 Nissan Micra. Urbis. I have had it now for 5 months and it`s my first car. Does anyone know how many brake lights should come on the back left with the headlights on? Thanks. (Urbis)

Submitted: 15/11/2012 11:05:29 | ID: 92946

Tammy, Huntingdonshire

Nissan Micra 2000

What is a reasonable labour time and price to fit an alternator belt, radiator and water pump with new belt to my Nissan Micra? I’ve been quoted a total of £297 inc. vat for the whole job. (Celebration)

Submitted: 12/11/2012 16:23:11 | ID: 92425

Omo Osayi, Nigeria

Nissan Micra 1999

I have a Nissan Micra and I had to change the engine, but the engine I bought won`t start because the mechanic said that the brainbox of my car had entered a code that is making it not start. I remembered I entered a pool of water sometime ago and they said that is the cause of the brainbox problem. They have changed the brainbox with different ones but it still won`t start. Please what should I do?

Submitted: 06/11/2012 12:02:13 | ID: 91305

Tracey Shepherd, Buckinghamshire

Nissan Micra 1994

I have a problem with my Nissan Micra. For the past 3/4 weeks it started with the car just cutting out, now it`s not only cutting out but the car pulls back and the rev fluctuates a great deal. Also when I put my foot on the clutch there`s nothing, when I take my foot off the clutch it rattles like mad. Mine is an M reg 16 value twin cam. We have put new sparks in and used redx to clean the system. My other half has tried everything and now we don’t know what else to do. Can anyone help?

My Micra is an 02 and also does this. I took it to the garage last year when it first started doing this and they couldn’t find anything wrong with it so they just reset something or other and it was fine up until the weather got colder and now it’s started doing it again! I’d appreciate some help on this too! Lindsey Brown from England

I think the cutting out problem on junctions in early k11 Micra is more than likely the throttle body which is a common issue on these models. A second hand throttle body would cost about 40-50. However I would suggest getting it checked by someone who knows about Nissan A Baba from England

Submitted: 05/11/2012 10:16:48 | ID: 68687

Margaret Tripovic, Lanarkshire

Nissan Micra 2010

How do I know if the passenger air bag in my Nissan Micra is on? I have never touched it but would like to know if it is on or off when you first buy the car?

The passenger airbag is on unless you turn it off with the key, at the switch located on the passenger side dash. There is a light on the instrument cluster that indicates that the airbag has been turned off Alexander Van Wyk from South Africa

Submitted: 02/11/2012 15:48:45 | ID: 89765

Georgina Foord, Dorset

Nissan Micra 2011

My Nissan Micra has 2 digital clocks, one on the r/h side of the driver, the other on the l/h side showing on the media screen. When it’s time to adjust the clocks, I can follow the instructions to change the one on the r/h side via the "menu", but I have no idea how to adjust the one on the media screen in front of the passenger seat. Any ideas?

Submitted: 01/11/2012 09:19:45 | ID: 89374

Mary Dee, Ireland

Nissan Micra 1993

I own a Nissan Micra March 1993 petrol and need to drain all fuel from the tank. How is this achieved? Thanks. (March)

Submitted: 30/10/2012 14:51:41 | ID: 89222