MITSUBISHI SPACE STAR questions and answers

MITSUBISHI Space Star

Ask and answer questions on a variety of MITSUBISHI SPACE STAR models. Help and advice on everything MITSUBISHI SPACE STAR. Feel free to ask and answer as many MITSUBISHI-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest MITSUBISHI SPACE STAR questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Norman, Cornwall

Mitsubishi Space Star

Hi the fuel level reading on the computer doesn't always reset when fuel is put in. I`m not sure if it`s the amount of fuel that goes or not, sometimes it resets after a while but normally I get the warning sound driving me nuts. Then at next refuel it can work as it should. Help please

Hi, Im assuming you have the dashboard HUD unit that shows some very limited information on its green display which can be changed by the button on the factory head unit? Well if so, I solved that very annoying fuel reset problem by first setting the display to average mpg and then, secondly, removing and replacing the standard Mitsubishi radio with an aftermarket stereo. Its not difficult to do and you will ultimately have a slightly superior sound coming from the basic door speakers. Kris from Bournemouth

Submitted: 09/10/2014 14:43:56 | ID: 104331

joan cooper, Essex

Mitsubishi Space Star

The turbo went in my car. I have had it fixed, also had a new seal put in, the problem is that oil has got into the engine and exhaust system, so when I rev the car past 2 the engine runs away with itself and black smoke pours out of the exhaust. How do I clean this out? Can I do it by keeping the car running as long as possible, hoping it will eventually clean itself?

Submitted: 28/09/2014 12:52:44 | ID: 103751

ali, Perth and Kinross

Mitsubishi Space Star

got a problem with gears bit stiff to get in gear 5th getting a nightmare at high speed any help is it the gear box or just nylon bushes

Submitted: 12/09/2014 20:53:30 | ID: 103019

Jennifer, City of Glasgow

Mitsubishi Space Star

My space star keeps losing revs and cut out as i slow down it started just after I put new head lights in

Submitted: 24/08/2014 22:15:09 | ID: 102052

Adrian, Norfolk

Mitsubishi Space Star

Hi I have a problem with my space star just after starting it starts fine every time but when you start to drive it holds back on light throttle its got new spark plugs ,two new coil packs and new leads management light is on heated sensor bank one sensor one and two have put NGK aftermarket one's on but light is still on can any one help before I pull what little hair I have left out thanks

Submitted: 12/08/2014 21:14:01 | ID: 101394

Dave kimmins, Kent

Mitsubishi Space Star

Can you tell me where the fuse is for turning signal. Not hazard warning lights I've found that. The manual doesn't seem to tell me. Thanks.

It may be inside passenger fuse box on driver side. Bob from Tyne and Wear

It may be inside passenger fuse box on driver side. Bob from Tyne and Wear

Submitted: 09/07/2014 17:02:44 | ID: 99331

Robert, Essex

Mitsubishi Space Star

When refuelling it`s slow to put in and the pump continually keeps cutting out. Why does it do this?

Submitted: 02/07/2014 13:27:07 | ID: 98840

Fisani, Suffolk

Mitsubishi Space Star

What could be wrong when the amber warning light come on a dashboard looks like a resevoiur sign have checked water and oil all ok. How can l fix this as l bought this car a week ago .

Submitted: 18/06/2014 10:23:41 | ID: 97953

bryan, Leicestershire

Mitsubishi Space Star

hi need some help please I have no lights on dash I have to keep removing the 40 amp ignition fuse to reset it any help will be greatly received

Submitted: 12/06/2014 23:48:22 | ID: 97580

Noel, Sligo

Mitsubishi Space Star

I have a 1999 1.3 petrol space star, driving home this evening my brakes failed as in the pedal went straight to the floor, I managed somewhat to get home in one piece, however I noticed afterwards that the clutch pedal does not work (goes down to the floor without engaging) and there is fluid of some kind now sitting under the back wheel. Help!!!

Submitted: 12/06/2014 22:17:30 | ID: 97573

Paul Browne, Ireland

Mitsubishi Space Star

Engine management light come on left car in to garage and they put in on machine and knocked it off and after some weeks light comes back on /off,any ideas what problem could be?

I had the same problem, the garage could not find any problems after a diagnostics test. Noel from Sligo

Submitted: 07/06/2014 14:45:01 | ID: 97121

terry kench, West Yorkshire

Mitsubishi Space Star

How do you replace a near-side rear light cluster?

Submitted: 06/05/2014 13:42:27 | ID: 95157

Markwin, Netherlands

Mitsubishi Space Star

Hi there, I've been trying to sort this problem for some weeks now, but can't find an answer anywhere. Who can tell me where I can find the wire inside my Space Star that carries the speed signal (VSS = Vehicle Speed Signal)? I need to connect this wire to my satnav system. Where is this wire located inside the car and what colour is it? thanks ! Markwin

Submitted: 17/04/2014 13:04:46 | ID: 94364

Arthur Harrow, England

Mitsubishi Space Star 2002

I have a problem with the battery indicator of my Mitsubishi Space Star. When the engine is starting the battery indicator doesn’t turn off. What can I do?

Submitted: 21/03/2014 10:38:37 | ID: 63151

Christine Payne, Somerset

Mitsubishi Space Star 2005

My Mitsubishi Space Star`s engine management light has come on. I have noticed that the revs are high on idle and I can go along in first gear without putting my foot on the accelerator. Is there any way I can turn the revs down, or is it a garage job?

Submitted: 11/03/2014 09:59:52 | ID: 62748

C Duncan, England

Mitsubishi Space Star 2002

The rear nearside wheel on my Mitsubishi Space Star has started making a clunking noise which changes tone when braking. What is this and is it easy to fix?

Submitted: 18/02/2014 11:09:56 | ID: 62151

Keith Adcock, Sweden

Mitsubishi Space Star 2001

I’m having problems with my Mitsubishi Space Star. It starts perfectly, no matter how cold and then it runs fairly well but as the engine warms up it starts losing power. Eventually I have to be extremely light on the accelerator otherwise it literally cuts out, almost as if it’s not getting any fuel. When it gets to this stage it won’t go above 2500 rpm. Can anyone explain what`s wrong please?

Submitted: 17/01/2014 10:44:38 | ID: 60837

Kevin Baker, Australia

Mitsubishi Space Star 2007

I have a Mitsubishi Space Star380 SX and the engine manegement light is on. It won`t go off but the car still drives like there`s no problem? Why is it on?

Mine is the same. My garage told me it’s one of the sensors which controls the injection which has either failed or is faulty, but only needs replacing if petrol consumption starts to rise. My engine light has been on for months but so far nothing else has changed Janet T from Hampshire

Ours is the same - it`s been on since July (now October) and no obvious issues with it. I shall monitor fuel consumption though - thanks for the tip. Tim from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 03/01/2014 08:35:58 | ID: 60077

Julia White, Wiltshire

Mitsubishi Space Star 1996

On my Mitsubishi Space Star where does the translucent pipe from the water tank connect to? I`ve no heating in the car and the water temperature goes on red.

Could it be coolant? check the coolant bottle and see if it is full. Noel from Sligo

Submitted: 02/01/2014 14:38:41 | ID: 60102

Soney Jose, Oxfordshire

Mitsubishi Space Star 2004

I bought this Mitsubishi Space Star two days ago. Now when I start the car in the morning or in damp weather it will start to make a noise (like whining), but when I start accelerating it will stop. Also whenever the sound comes on the lights will go very dim just like it`s using power from the battery. Everything will be settled after running the car for 5 minutes. I think the sound is coming from the belt side of the engine . Please help me if you have any ideas about the problem?

It sounds like the fan belt. If the battery is low (not fully charged) the altenator tries to recharge the battery as soon as the engine runs, this in turn puts too much load on the belt and it slips. Two options: take it to a garage or Halfords to get the battery checked, and ajust or replace the belt. Hope this helps. Mike Foskett from Oxfordshire

Submitted: 10/12/2013 10:41:54 | ID: 55358

Dave, Hampshire

Mitsubishi Space Star 1999

I have no audible warning when I leave my Mitsubishi Space Star`s lights on at all. Is this normal on a Space Star or has some fuse relay or link become broken?

Has happened to me before and I found the button at the bottom of the inside of the drivers door to be dirty, take off the rubber surround and clean it, test the button when the rubber is off by leaving your lights on and pressing the button in and out. if this does not work check the fuse. Noel from Sligo

Submitted: 25/11/2013 14:23:37 | ID: 58541

Marion Syer, Fife and Kinross Shires

Mitsubishi Space Star 2004

There’s a faint electrical sounding buzzing noise behind the dashboard of my Mitsubishi Space Star. The traffic indicators do not automatically return after turning a corner and there is no warning buzzer when parking the car with the lights on. Is it something to do with these?

Submitted: 27/08/2013 10:07:56 | ID: 67601

Colin Hall, Surrey

Mitsubishi Space Star 2005

I fitted a new battery to my Mitsubishi Space Star and initially the central locking worked, but now it only works very occasionally. Any ideas? (1.6 petrol Equippe)

Submitted: 06/07/2012 15:32:09 | ID: 85520

Martin, Hampshire

Mitsubishi Space Star 2001

My Mitsubishi Space Star`s battery light stays on all of the time. Please advise why this should be?

Sounds like your alternator, if it hasn't stranded you on the side of the road already I suggest you take it to your mechanic asap. Noel from Sligo

Submitted: 07/06/2012 16:04:51 | ID: 82661

Jon Venklemann, Yorkshire

Mitsubishi Space Star 2005

Can anyone please tell me where do I add water for my radiator on my 2005 Mitsubishi Space Star?

Submitted: 16/03/2012 15:41:37 | ID: 69406

Tracy Downes, Berkshire

Mitsubishi Space Star 2002

How do you replace the gear bush?

Submitted: 26/09/2011 09:30:22 | ID: 78255

Randall, Essex

Mitsubishi Space Star 2004

Just bought this used car to get to and from work. I have looked everywhere in the owner’s manual and in the car. Is it just me or is there just no way to adjust the illumination of the control panel? The diagrams in the book point out the rheostat control on the left-hand drive model, but doesn’t mention at all for RH drive. Please respond here or email me at randall_cole[at]hotmail[dot]com. Thanks very much! (Equippe)

Submitted: 22/02/2011 10:12:07 | ID: 82040

Jacqui, Hampshire

Mitsubishi Space Star 2001

Problem selecting gears on the left i.e. reverse, 1st and 2nd - so all bushes replaced and after many many frustrated adjustments have been left with no 5th gear. Every time it’s adjusted we either get a choice of reverse or 5th but not both. There are some fittings attached to the end of the gear box, rod with ball and circlip which haven’t been touched yet - what are we missing here? Help please! Thanks

Submitted: 26/08/2010 14:49:01 | ID: 82051

Terry Moore, Devon

Mitsubishi Space Star 2004

I bought the car new and have a rear suspension problem. The driver side very low. I had new shock absorbers but it made no difference and it is still about inch and half lower than the passenger side. Has anybody got any suggestions? The Mitsubishi dealer has not been helpful. If anybody can help please reply to terry.moore1@hotmail.co.uk. Thank you.

Submitted: 12/08/2010 15:07:08 | ID: 83419