MITSUBISHI SHOGUN questions and answers

MITSUBISHI Shogun

Ask and answer questions on a variety of MITSUBISHI SHOGUN models. Help and advice on everything MITSUBISHI SHOGUN. Feel free to ask and answer as many MITSUBISHI-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest MITSUBISHI SHOGUN questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

allan, Merseyside

Mitsubishi Shogun

hello, iam having a problem with my car ,,runs great ,but sometimes when i turn it of it rev,s up before the engine stops ,,,???

Submitted: 23/04/2014 12:55:04 | ID: 94591

andy, West Midlands

Mitsubishi Shogun

Hi I have a 1996 shogun with no owners manual, how do I change the rear lights between the top & bottom set also where is the the best place to get a owners manual thanks Andy

Submitted: 22/04/2014 21:56:23 | ID: 94577

chris, Cornwall

Mitsubishi Shogun

Hi i,am having trouble finding my indicator relay how big is it and where it is and how big cos i have looked under the dash there are some relays there so what would be on it,. Cos mine is a j reg shogun 3.0 v6

Submitted: 21/04/2014 19:40:56 | ID: 94518

kirsty, South Yorkshire

Mitsubishi Shogun

hi i just bought a mitshubisi shogun pinin and engine control light keeps comming on what happens is the light comes on and then there is no revs it crawls .i have taken it to mitshubisi deales to do a diagnostic test but it would not read it as there soft wear is 2004 on wards dont no where to go to get this done as a normal garage one will not pick it up any help please. after i turn engine off and restart its fine again untill light comes back on many thanks

Submitted: 18/04/2014 23:21:12 | ID: 94417

Alan Sharpe, Essex

Mitsubishi Shogun

When I was towing my caravan to the top of a hill the ABS light and the anti skid light comes on and then puts the car into limp mode. I have taken the car to the dealer who say that no fault codes are present. have checked the caravan for brake bind but this is fine. the tyre pressures on the car are correct for towing any one help please.

Submitted: 18/04/2014 07:45:44 | ID: 94390

Jesse walrond, Somerset

Mitsubishi Shogun

I have a high pitched vibration under the vehicle Could this be in one of the exhaust sections and if so which one

Submitted: 14/04/2014 11:07:11 | ID: 94200

Francis Matthews, Hampshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 2001

My Mitsubishi Shogun drives perfectly but if you don`t keep your foot on the rev it will cut out, if you touch it just a bit it`s alright. What could it be?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 12:34:48 | ID: 93902

Terry Day, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 2009

My Mitsubishi Shogun makes a whining noise on inclines sometimes and then settles down. Any suggestions? (elegance)

Submitted: 01/04/2014 11:06:56 | ID: 93752

Julie Wagstaff, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 1994

Where is the fuse for the fuel gauge located on the 2800 turbo diesel?

Submitted: 26/03/2014 14:26:36 | ID: 93592

Karen Kesterton, Oxfordshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 1998

Hi. I have a Mitsubishi Shogun R reg and 2 weeks ago the handbrake light came on and stayed on. I topped up the brake fluid and it seemed okay, but now the light is staying on again. Does this mean I have a leak and if so can you give me an idea where to start?

Could just be that the brake pads need to be changed if they are low then this will cause the fluid to drop as the pistons are out when new pads are fitted then the pistons are pushed back pushing the fluid back into the reservoir. G Q from Merthyr Tydfil

Submitted: 24/03/2014 08:57:27 | ID: 63196

Asif Farid, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 1998

Hi, I`ve just bought my first Mitsubishi Shogun 2.8 lwb and just wanted to know if there is a diesel light when I am coming towards empty? It`s a 98 reg R, thanks.

Submitted: 18/03/2014 08:59:29 | ID: 62905

Kevin Shaw, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 2005

I have a Mitsubishi Shogun and my abs and anti skid dashboard warning lights are staying on. I have topped up the brake fluid reservoir but this has not resolved the problem. Any ideas on what the problem might be please? (3.2 diesel)

Submitted: 27/02/2014 10:10:35 | ID: 62393

Charles, Oxfordshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 2002

When travelling I get an intermittent vibration on my Mitsubishi Shogun. Some journeys it may not occur at all but when it does it can be at different speeds and quite violent. I have had the wheels balanced and tracking checked, so no problem there. Could it be a fuel problem? I would be glad of any ideas as I don’t like using it while it`s like this. (3.2 diesel elegance auto)

I had the same problem needed temperature censor cost £65 from the dealer. Steve Burns from England

Submitted: 06/02/2014 14:37:37 | ID: 61770

Eduardo Chico, Ecuador

Mitsubishi Shogun 2006

What is the proper sequence for the vacuum lines on a 2006 Montero 3.2 diesel? Thanks for your help. (3.2 diesel)

Submitted: 04/02/2014 14:09:58 | ID: 61737

Gary Hutchings, Kent

Mitsubishi Shogun 1996

My Mitsubishi Shogun is having issues where the battery is running flat as soon as I try to start it. Sometimes it will start and be fine and other days the battery will be completely flat. The battery is new and a Halfords specialist has tested the battery and stated it is fine. I have tried to jump start the car today and the battery would not charge. I have checked all the connecting wires and all oil and water levels are good. What could be causing the problem? It tends to be worse in colder weather although the weather today is average.

Are you sure the battery is flat when you try and start, have you checked the voltage (12.4 volt or higher with no engine running when measured across the terminals) - if the symptom is something like you turn the key, the dash lights come ON but there is no "click" of the solenoid and no starter motor spinning up it could well be a defective starter, another symptom of this starter fault is a slow and laboured start (just like having a flat battery) - slower than normal spinning of the starter motor. Occasionally the vehicle will starter even though the starter motor is worn but there are symptoms of impending starter failure and do initially appear just like a flat battery. Just an idea John Smith from England

Submitted: 27/01/2014 12:29:39 | ID: 61357

K Jackson, Sussex

Mitsubishi Shogun 1991

Hello, I have a 91 Mitsubishi Shogun 3.0 V6 that will not start. The problem started last week when it cut out without warning at Tescos. It started a couple of times but cut out instantly after running for 2 or 3 minutes. I managed to get it going long enough to get it home but now there is nothing. It turns over but will not fire up. I checked a plug and there is no spark. Trouble is I cant get it to a garage to get it plugged in to see if the fault can be found. Has anyone got any ideas? All input is appreciated. (3.0 V6 LWB)

Hi there have you checked the coil because I have the 92 shogun v6 3.0, but check the coil and I think that should sort it. Christopher Parry from Cornwall

Submitted: 24/01/2014 16:17:05 | ID: 61335

John Bradford, Suffolk

Mitsubishi Shogun 2002

Hi. I have diesel fuel leaking onto the tyre when I fill up my Mitsubishi Shogun. Can anyone tell me if this is the filler pipe what sort of a job is this? My engine is 3.2 did. Many thanks. (3.2 did)

Submitted: 21/01/2014 10:14:47 | ID: 60888

Liz Gartshore, Scotland

Mitsubishi Shogun 1999

I`m looking for a fuse diagram for my Mitsubishi Shogun`s interior and engine fuse box. If anyone can help? Thanks in advance. (2.8 TD)

Submitted: 16/01/2014 10:10:54 | ID: 72737

Andy Wilson, Scotland

Mitsubishi Shogun 2004

Hi, my Mitsubishi Shogun has done 126k and all was okay until last week when the abs/traction warning lights came on. The garage replaced the abs sensor after diagnostics and all seemed okay for a day, but then the oil pressure warning light came on below 1200 revs. It goes off and stays off above this. There is plenty of oil in the sump as it was serviced just before Xmas but I wondered if diagnostics have done something to the ECU, or has anybody any other ideas or seen similar? Thanks. (3.2did lwb)

Submitted: 14/01/2014 10:50:30 | ID: 60719

Charlie Littlewood, Herefordshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 1999

My Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 will not start when hot. I have replaced all the diesel lines, a new filter, put an inline fuel pump in, changed the temptress sensor and cleaned the tank out. Can anybody help me please?

Submitted: 14/01/2014 08:47:32 | ID: 60684

Simon Matthews, Dorset

Mitsubishi Shogun 1996

Hi. My Mitsubishi Shogun 2.8 td runs roughly when the handbrake is released but fine when it is on and it is smoky. It`s had a new pump seal, glow plugs and injectors. It is a bit strange why the handbrake affects it. Can anyone explain why please? (2.8)

I had similar problem bud and it was my fuel lines corroded and was pulling air into the fuel pump. I put a rubber hose straight through and it runs like a dream now. John Twist from England

Submitted: 10/01/2014 11:58:59 | ID: 55130

Guy Metcalfe, Devon

Mitsubishi Shogun 2002

Hi, I hope somebody can help me. I have a Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 did Auto. Fault was diagnosed as throttle body sensor, so I have replaced the complete unit and had the code reset, but the fault still comes up after starting up again. The main problem is the car is in limp mode with the engine management light on, so I have just had the exhaust manifold completely cleaned, turbo checked and fuel pump checked and all are okay. The EGR valve was also replaced less than 5,000 miles ago. Any ideas? (3.2 did auto)

Submitted: 09/01/2014 12:42:29 | ID: 60457

Ernest Nhamo, Zimbabwe

Mitsubishi Shogun 2002

I have a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport 2002 model diesel turbo with 4d56 engine. It has travelled 221,000 miles but l am worried that it is giving me a consumption rate of 1 litre : 8.7kms. Apparantly a friend of mine who has the same car is getting between 12km to 13km, a difference of 340km per every full tank l fill up. Please can anybody help?

Submitted: 09/01/2014 12:39:29 | ID: 60472

Brian Leth, Suffolk

Mitsubishi Shogun 2002

After my Mitsubishi Shogun has been sitting for a couple of days I have noticed it won’t pull away straightaway when I accelerate. It feels like the brakes have not released. Is this normal?

Submitted: 02/01/2014 12:10:38 | ID: 60043

Diane Zammit, Worcestershire

Mitsubishi Shogun 1998

Hiya, I have a lwb 1998 Mitsubishi Shogun and I`m having problems with the ignition. It only started when I recently had the starter motor replaced. When I picked my car up from the garage and was driving home she cut out. I thought nothing of it at that point and carried on home but when I next came to use her she wouldn`t start. I thought she had a flat battery as that`s what it was like but I tried again and she just started. When I got home I spoke to a mechanic who told me to wriggle the key about a bit, so that`s what I did and she started. So if she doesn`t start now I wriggle the key around and if I get it in the right position she will start. It`s a bit hit and miss, is this a loose wire or the coil or does she need a new ignition barrel? I hope you can help me, thanks.

Hi there, sounds like ignition barrel and worn key. Hope this helps you. Glenn Keen from England

Had same problem on my 2000 pinin you need the botom round electric switch at the bottom of barrel i replaced mine with better one from breakers £24 works ok now there is a barrel rod comes down and where it goes into electric switch it wears easy to fix Martin Ellison from Yorkshire

Submitted: 31/12/2013 11:44:06 | ID: 59935

Angie, Australia

Mitsubishi Shogun 1992

I have a 1992 Mitsubishi Shogun pajero and I need to know which fuse is for the rev counter? I know where both fuse boxes are but one under the bonnet doesn’t say what they are each for? Please help?

Submitted: 20/12/2013 12:46:35 | ID: 59590

Kevin Browning, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 2002

I have a problem with the fuel gauge on my Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 equipe. The gauge is all over the place, going from half a tank to nil. I`ve just had a new fuel sender replaced but the gauge is still showing empty to half a tank. It seems to be a wiring problem somewhere from the tank to the gauge in the dash. Any help on this please?

Submitted: 13/12/2013 10:12:38 | ID: 59152

Richard Pickles, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 2008

Hi. I have had our Mitsubishi Shogun remapped and the cat and the dpf removed. All was fine until today when it threw out masses of white smoke. It has stopped now, but why? Oil and water levels are all okay. (3.2)

Submitted: 10/12/2013 11:20:10 | ID: 56702

Shelley, Carmarthenshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 1996

My Mitsubishi Shogun starts just fine, it can run for 20 miles or just 1 mile and when it just stops running it loses all power. I have noticed 3 or 4 times that the engine management light flickers right before all power is lost. I pull over and restart the engine. When it happens all dash lights go and I have no indicators but I do appear to have headlights, it`s really rather strange! Any ideas? (3.0v6 Auto LWB)

Submitted: 10/12/2013 10:48:31 | ID: 59002

Charles Farquharson, Jamaica

Mitsubishi Shogun 2003

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB GLS with the 3.0L V6 and there’s a very strong smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin when driving with the windows down. However once the windows are up and the A/C is turned on I can no longer smell them. It is extremely bad in the rear seat area. I have changed the left side exhaust manifold as it had a crack and had the exhaust system thoroughly checked for leaks but none were found.. I also had the rear door readjusted and checked for the proper seal and all’s well there too.. Does anyone have the slightest idea what else could be causing this and a fix for it? I went ahead and blocked off the EGR valve just in case because I noticed that there was a bit of white smoke from the tailpipe on start up and after a hard run. Also when I was changing the left side manifold there seemed to be more soot in the exhaust port of the LH rear cylinder from which the EGRV is fed. The smell is still there after all that. Any ideas anyone? (GLS)

Submitted: 25/11/2013 11:03:28 | ID: 58537

Andrew Baldam, Yorkshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 2000

I have black smoke from my Mitsubishi Shogun on start up just for a minute or so, then I drive at 30mph for 10 minutes then kick down and it puffs smoke again. Can anyone explain why?

Submitted: 25/11/2013 10:51:16 | ID: 55879

Simon Peter Munaba, Uganda

Mitsubishi Shogun 1995

I have a Mitsubishi Shogun Pajero model 1994 chassis number CHNV-340-SJ000291 and engine number 4D56-GD7914. Please can anybody help me confirm the above detals so that I can have a clear history of my car?

Submitted: 22/11/2013 11:21:00 | ID: 58448

Anthony Gordon, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 1993

My Mitsubishi Shogun`s headlghts don`t work from the light stalk, no heads and no main beam. I have tried the bulbs and they`re okay. It seems to be a fault between the switch and lights? All fuses are okay but it may be the relay, but I dont know where it is? Can anyone help? Thanks.

Submitted: 21/11/2013 10:34:31 | ID: 58182

Jake, London

Mitsubishi Shogun 2003

My Mitsubishi Shogun Elegance has a problem only when it hasn’t been used for a few days. Starting from cold, when put into drive it`s non responsive, then it jolts and starts moving and is fine after that. Has anybody experienced this problem or know what is causing this? (Elegance)

Submitted: 18/11/2013 10:50:08 | ID: 57971

Greg Nutter, Japan

Mitsubishi Shogun 1995

I just bought a 1995 Mitsubishi Shogun Mini Pajaro turbo with automatic transmission. When I put the transmission selector in DRIVE it stays in third gear. I can manually shift it into first okay, up shifting to second the transmission binds up and feels like the brake was applied. When shifting from first I have to shift quickly over second into third gear. After the enginge runs 20-30 minutes the transmission shifts perfectly. I just changed the filter and fluid which did not help. Could it be the ECU or a shift solenoid?

Submitted: 14/11/2013 14:37:05 | ID: 57825

Paul Grech, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 2005

My Mitsubishi Shogun revs high in fifth gear. What should I do?

Submitted: 14/11/2013 12:52:35 | ID: 89752

Michael Petruk, Kent

Mitsubishi Shogun 2002

When cold my 3.5 litre petrol automatic Mitsubishi Shogun starts without trouble, but when the engine is warm, for instance if I have stopped the engine and then tried to restart it twenty or thirty minutes later, it tries to start but only on one or two cylinders it seems. It will struggle to keep going for a few seconds and then cut out. After about thirty to forty tries starting it will start, but it is getting worse and there is the worry that the battery will run flat before it starts. Any ideas would be much appreciated please? (3.5 petrol

Hi, I came across your problem whilst trying to diagnose another issue and thought I might be able to help if you have not solved this issue already. The 3.5 engine is direct injection with a high pressure pump on the engine. On the inlet side of this pump is a micro filter. This blocks up over time causing all kinds of running problems. The cure is unfortunately not common knowledge. What I do is replace the micro filter, it is available from Mitsubishi for cents. I also put in a high quality fuel injection type filter inline. I mount this onto the fuel inlet pipe on the bulkhead between the metal pipe and the rubber pipe. I normally have an adapter made for the one side. The high pressure pump is awkward to get to as it is in the middle of the V at the back of the engine. I usually remove a few bolts and undo a couple of electrical connections as well as remove a couple of breather pipes to give me good access. The micro filter is under the the pipe on the right hand side towards the front. You will know what I mean when you get there. You remove a size ten bolt then gently pull the pipe up. There is an O ring seal that you can check and replace if necessary. To remove the micro filter you will need a suitable self tapping screw (you can estimate the size when you look at the new micro filter) that you screw through a suitable strap (a motorcycle tie down will work), then screw a couple of turns into the micro filter. Using jerking movements the filter should pull out. Tap in the new filter using a suitable tool, then put it all back together again. It is very important that no dirt or dust get into the pump. I hope this helps. Brendan Wright from Zimbabwe

Submitted: 11/11/2013 11:12:41 | ID: 57236

Andy Thorpe, Leicestershire

Mitsubishi Shogun 2007

Hi, my Mitsubishi Shogun elegance 07 plate has started cutting out at junctions. Some days it’s fine, then others it’s bad. If I’m idling the car revs blip and you can see the needle twitching as well as feel the engine change revs. Then it will either get to the point of stall and recover or will just cut out. It starts again fine, but I have the same problem when I go to stop. It only really had the problem when stationary in Drive or Reverse, but it is now doing it in Park too. The first garage I took it to said there were no fault codes and to be honest didn’t really dig any further than that. Please can someone shed some light on this? Thanks. (3.2 elegance automatic)

Hi, it sounds like the fuel pump. I had the same problem on the later model and ended up replacing it. Marcus Porthouse from Herefordshire

I have the same problem, cannot understand it. Driving in slow moving traffic and I lose the revs as if fuel starvation. I stop and restart the Jeep and it acts as if nothing is wrong. Could it be the brain/ecu? Michael Browne from Ireland

Submitted: 08/11/2013 11:44:39 | ID: 57561

John Reed, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 1994

Where is the headlight fuse on my Mitsubishi Shogun?

Submitted: 08/11/2013 11:40:49 | ID: 66151

Chris Rooney, Northamptonshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 2011

Hi. I had a new alternator fitted by Mitsubishi to my Mitsubishi Shogun under warranty because if I leave the car for a couple of weeks without starting it the battery is totally dead. Mitsubishi are now looking to change the battery. My concern is that the battery fitted is too small for this car as it`s a 80D26L and on the L200 and the Outlander it`s a 90D31L. Can anyone explain why this is?

Submitted: 05/11/2013 12:47:51 | ID: 57408