LDV

Questions and answers

LDV CONVOY questions and answers

LDV Convoy

Ask and answer questions on a variety of LDV CONVOY models. Help and advice on everything LDV CONVOY. Feel free to ask and answer as many LDV-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest LDV CONVOY questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Mike Bassett, England

LDV Convoy 2004

I have an LDV Convoy and the glow plug comes on intermittently after starting. No change in performance and it seems to go off over bumps. An expensive computer check zapped it out but it comes back. Also a new battery was fitted but is not holding charge, it seems to drain down as it stands out. Is this an alternator problem? Any clues? (convoy hi top)

Submitted: 08/04/2014 15:32:30 | ID: 93970

Mark Evans, England

LDV Convoy 2003

Hi. I have a 2.4 turbo LDV Convoy and the battery went flat so I fitted a new one and now it won`t start, just a rapid clicking. I thought it was the starter and had it checked but all was okay although it still won`t start. The immobilizer light goes out and flashes at the same rate as the clicking sound when turning the key. Will this be an ecu fault, if so can the immobilizer be bypassed? (mini bus)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 12:27:32 | ID: 93930

Stuart Marriott, Nottinghamshire

LDV Convoy 2002

I have an LDV Convoy 52 plate which has started black smoking when pulling away from junctions and the engine sounds different to what it was before. Does anyone know what`s wrong please?

Submitted: 04/04/2014 10:03:38 | ID: 93810

Rowley Livock, Fife and Kinross Shires

LDV Convoy 2003

I have a problem with lack of mid range power from the 2.4 Ford ’banana’ diesel (non turbo) Convoy 400 (swb). Every hill or gradient requires a shift down to gear 3 or lower, even when unloaded, but when the engine is able to rev it will peak out to max revs no problem. (According to satnav it will spin to 84 mph on a downhill stretch no problem). Any suggestions please on how to regain lost mid-range torque and power?

Submitted: 24/03/2014 09:41:03 | ID: 62946

Josh, Newport

LDV Convoy 2003

Hi. I`m looking for some help with regards to a fault with the rear braking on an LDV Convoy. The van has front brakes which work but no rear. The front brakes have been bled and are working and the rear brakes have been bled but there is no brake fluid coming through. Can someone help with this problem?

Submitted: 20/03/2014 12:35:45 | ID: 63050

Tony Smith, Nottinghamshire

LDV Convoy 2000

How can I increase the power of my LDV Convoy van when towing my trailer? (swb city van)

Submitted: 03/02/2014 14:38:03 | ID: 59550

Craig Graham, England

LDV Convoy 1996

My LDV Convoy`s alternator belt snapped. It`s been replaced but the van won`t start now and I can`t understand why. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 28/01/2014 10:27:28 | ID: 61271

Jack Beresford, Lincolnshire

LDV Convoy 1999

I have just bought this old LDV Convoy which is very underpowered. It packed up the other day. I checked under the bonnet and found the fuel filter had come off, refitted it and bled it. It ran okay for a couple of days and then exactly the same thing happened again. I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem? (2.5 Transit engine)

It has happened to me. When fitting the filter there is a notch in it that locates into the filter housing, but when you tighten the collar the filter spins out of the notch because there is a spring in the filter housing. You have to hold the filter still and push it upwards whilst tightening the collar. Tony Smith from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 07/01/2014 14:22:58 | ID: 60403

Marc Hudson, Yorkshire

LDV Convoy 1999

I have replaced my engine in my LDV Convoy. It is a Transit banana engine and it will turn over but not fire. I have put my old fuel pump on so the immobilisor wasn`t affected. Why won`t it start? Have I done something wrong? Any help will be gratefully received thanks.

Is the pump the same type? If not you may need to change the injectors. Have you got the timing correct, i.e. the belt is not a tooth out, have you got power to the pump selanoid? Tony Smith from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 31/12/2013 14:52:52 | ID: 59962

Bryan Brown, Shropshire

LDV Convoy 2001

Hi. I have a LDV Convoy 400 swb. It has recently started juddering when going uphill. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 17/12/2013 14:53:38 | ID: 58899

Peter Marriott, Essex

LDV Convoy 2003

Hi there. My LDV Convoy is losing power from the battery after sitting for two days. I have fitted a new alternator and it is charging fine and runs fine when the battery is charged. I am stumped. Please can anybody help?

You must have a short somewhere in the wiring loom, you may need an auto electrician to find this Tony Smith from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 16/12/2013 12:36:45 | ID: 59198

James Dunlop, England

LDV Convoy 2004

My 2004 LDV Convoy makes a blowing noise or air leak noise at high revs when accelerating! The noise seems to be coming from behind the passenger’s glove box. What could it be?

The noise sounds like your turbo is faulty, but it is not behind the passenger glove box, the heater blower is. Tony Smith from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 09/12/2013 14:11:38 | ID: 58961

Glynn Clarke, England

LDV Convoy 2003

I need to drain the water from my LDV Convoy 400 Luton. Can anyone tell me where the drainage tap is? Thanks. (400 TDI)

There isn’t one, take the bottom hose off. Tony Smith from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 09/12/2013 12:32:01 | ID: 58615

Roberto Beto, London

LDV Convoy 2000

Hi. I am having an issue with my 2000 LDV Convoy (Banana engine 2.5Lt). It`s hard to shift into second gear from first gear, seems like it does not want to go in. I have to try 2-3 times to shift into second gear, most of the time when I try to shift from first to second gear it goes into neutral, but all the other gears shift perfectly fine. I thought first I would like to try to change the transmission fluid and see if the problem would go? I know where the transmission drain plug is, but the problem is I can’t find the Dipstick and Refill point / location. Can anyone tell me please? Thanks in advance.

There should be a big bolt on the side of the gear box, you fill through the hole till the oil runs back out. It should hold 1.3litres(2.29pints) of m2c 186-a oil. Tony Smith from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 07/11/2013 11:30:29 | ID: 57468

Ben Mama, Hampshire

LDV Convoy 2002

I just bought the LDV convoy 17 seater minibus with chassis number SEYZMVSYGDN, how do I tell if its turbo charged?

Submitted: 14/09/2013 16:54:50 | ID: 53938

David Hunter, Nottinghamshire

LDV Convoy 1996

I have a great truck here. I converted my LDV Convoy to a camper van a couple of years ago and have travelled all around France, towing a trailer. It has started surging occasionally on tickover and starting off. I also noticed that the brake servo doesn’t always seem to be making full vac. Could there be a connection? Thank you. It has the Peugeot turbo engine. (16 seater)

Submitted: 06/09/2013 14:41:55 | ID: 54031

Linda Sutton, London

LDV Convoy 2003

Is it possible to find a Certificate of Conformity for nLDV which is registered as a bus? I am considering putting this vehicle onto an Operator`s License and will need either a CoC or Coif. Many thanks.

Submitted: 06/06/2013 10:00:28 | ID: 58331

Vicky Sherman, Devon

LDV Convoy 1996

Some of my LDV Convoy`s dash bulbs are out. I`m having problems tracking them down as my local motorfactors don`t supply the correct fit. The main taco light and also the warning light bulb has gone. What type of bulbs are they and where`s the best place to get them from? Thanks.

Submitted: 09/05/2013 09:25:39 | ID: 58434

Kevin Whittle, Lancashire

LDV Convoy 2003

I have a 2003 LDV Convoy 2.4 diesel which only blows cold air and the temperature gauge reads below half, although the engine runs great. It also turns over very slowly but starts first time every time. I have already got a new battery. Can anyone suggest what I can do to sort this problem please? (minibus)

There probably is two separate faults here. The heater fault is probably the cable behind the heater switch is not operating properly. The valve the cable opens and closes is located behind the coweling below the heater controls at the left-hand side near the floor, try to spray with wd40 Tony Smith from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 29/04/2013 12:01:43 | ID: 90444

Asa, Buckinghamshire

LDV Convoy 2003

I have got no headlights or full beam on my LDV Convoy but I do have side lights. I`ve done all of the obvious, checked the fuses, bulbs, power supply to the wiring, put on replacement light stem and changed the black relay box. Is there more than one relay for the headlights and full beam? Can anyone help?

Submitted: 25/04/2013 11:49:36 | ID: 93246

Hugh Franklin, Warwickshire

LDV Convoy 2005

I’ve recently bought an ex GPO post LDV Convoy bus with the 2.4 duratorque engine on low mileage of 65,000 which was fine until the weekend. On an incline, moderately loaded, it began to smell of hot oil! On inspection some oil had passed the oil filler cap, although it appears to be in excellent condition. I checked the diaphragm on the breather in the rocker cover look-alike, all seems fine. I’ve degreased the top of the engine but notice a fine film of oil around the injectors after a run and that hot oil smell again. I run a 52 reg convoy with the same engine on the same fully synthetic oil with 3 times the mileage and never have any such problems. Is there a breather filter somewhere? The engine runs very sweetly and there are no leaks anywhere, so I’m both anxious and disappointed. Any ideas? (Minibus)

Submitted: 28/03/2013 08:58:41 | ID: 92269

Mark Higgins, England

LDV Convoy 1997

I have an LDV Convoy 2.5l diesel that starts first time. After half an hour I will park and turn it off and the engine will not restart until it has cooled down. It will crank perfectly but not start. Any ideas?

Hiya, I have had the same problem before with my car in the past (Fiat Multipla, it was found to be the rpm sensor). I replaced it myself and the car worked perfectly afterwards. On speaking to a couple of mechanics they said that it was quite a common problem with many vehicles Mark Palmer from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 01/10/2012 11:25:48 | ID: 81302

Martin Haines, Oxfordshire

LDV Convoy 2003

I am thinking of getting a 2003 LDV Convoy minibus. Can anybody tell me what I should look out for? Cheers. (minibus)

Submitted: 17/09/2012 12:23:01 | ID: 75240

Upali Abeysekera, Sri Lanka

LDV Convoy 2002

Can anyone tell me where the chassis number is stamped on the chassis of my LDV Convoy?

On lefthand drive models - driver’s side. Remove the plastic step cover. On the rise of the step is the chassis number. It is painted over so you will need to sand over it to reveal the number J Smith from England

Submitted: 30/07/2012 12:29:52 | ID: 73188

Robert Clements, Scotland

LDV Convoy 2001

I have an LDV Convoy van in France. How do I get a Certificate of Conformity from old LDV records? (Flat bed van)

I have been told you may find it in the original owners handbook, if it’s a 2001 onwards. I’m after one too so if you have any luck let me know -  apsherwood@hotmail.com. Regards Ant Sherwood from France

I also have an LDV van in France. Did you get the headlights changed for the CT? Mick Barley from France

Submitted: 18/05/2012 11:10:10 | ID: 80434

Tony Roe, Nottinghamshire

LDV Convoy 2003

I’ve got an LDV Convoy minibus problem. Start her up running then glow plug light starts flashing and cuts out, won’t restart. I had the AA out and he said there was no diesel in the filter, it would not re-prime... So I had new filter housing on with the primer on top. The next day same thing happened again. Can anybody shed any light on this issue, thanks.

Submitted: 14/02/2012 08:31:27 | ID: 78558

Keith Palmer, Hampshire

LDV Convoy 2002

On a LDV Convoy, what is the plastic part on top of the fuel filter housing that turns a 1/4 turn either way and what does it do... or is meant to do?

Submitted: 23/11/2011 11:55:43 | ID: 74498

Richard Cooper, Devon

LDV Convoy 2003

Where is the paint code printed ? (luton)

Submitted: 12/09/2011 09:28:15 | ID: 78023