KIA CARENS questions and answers

KIA Carens

Ask and answer questions on a variety of KIA CARENS models. Help and advice on everything KIA CARENS. Feel free to ask and answer as many KIA-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest KIA CARENS questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Mike, Aberdeenshire

Kia Carens

Hello & Help. I just bought a Kia Carens crdi 2006 without a manual book and struggling to find out How to fold them back seats??? Am I missing some pulley or something...where is this trigger?

Submitted: 17/04/2014 17:50:22 | ID: 94372

Andy Hale, England

Kia Carens 2005

What is the correct way in which to check the oil level on this Kia Carens and what should I be seeing? (Petrol)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 11:25:06 | ID: 93993

Sarah Horton, Warwickshire

Kia Carens 2009

Hi, we are experiencing an intermittent problem of not being able to get our Kia Carens out of gear when going to change gear and then being unable to get it into another gear and having to stop, wait and then try again. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Many thanks. (Carens (59 plate).

Submitted: 31/03/2014 15:29:06 | ID: 93668

Russell Seex, Kent

Kia Carens 2007

My Kia Carens` indicators and hazard warning lights have stopped working. The lights all flash when centrally locking so the bulbs are okay. I can’t find the fuse to check. Can anybody help please? (CRDi)

Submitted: 17/03/2014 12:34:38 | ID: 62942

Godwin Ihagh, Nigeria

Kia Carens 2005

How much does an old or new Kia Carens driving shaft cost? Mine has to be replaced.

Submitted: 10/03/2014 10:27:04 | ID: 62496

Brannock Shepherd, Derbyshire

Kia Carens 2006

My Kia Carens` check engine light is flashing permanently. The car is driving lovely and the mechanic has done a check for fault codes and nothing came up. I`m at a loss to what it could be. Any ideas please? (diesel)

Submitted: 10/03/2014 09:47:10 | ID: 66507

Jackie Langridge, Buckinghamshire

Kia Carens 2006

When I first unlock my Kia Carens using the remote key it unlocks but I then get a sound which sounds like the car is trying to lock itself. The noise carries on for quite a while, even when I am driving. It stops after a while but it is happening every time that I unlock it. What could the problem be?

Submitted: 07/03/2014 16:36:16 | ID: 62668

Hayley Sharpe, Leicestershire

Kia Carens 2005

Hi, I`m hoping someone can help. My Kia Carens` parking sensors have started making a different constant beep rather than the usual beep beep as you approach something. Is it on a fuse in the fuse box or somewhere under the bonnet? It’s not working even with the constant beep. Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 14/02/2014 09:22:02 | ID: 56713

Bob Smith, England

Kia Carens 2006

I have a 2006 Kia Carens auto and diesel. When turning left at about 20 mph upwards I get a fretting noise and sometimes light knocking at the same time. I can hear the noise from the left hand front. I have replaced the suspension arm, ball joint and complete strut, roll bar link but still have this noise. The noise does sound like the suspension or driving a train. Has anyone come across this problem?

Submitted: 10/02/2014 11:46:14 | ID: 61869

Kev Smith, England

Kia Carens 2005

How do I facilitate the removal of the factory radio from my 2005 Kia Carens, so that I can connect an aux cable?

Submitted: 13/01/2014 11:18:53 | ID: 66152

Myles McC, Yorkshire

Kia Carens 2008

My Kia Carens GS has stalled a number of times whilst depressing the clutch and whilst being in fifth gear as I have approached a junction. The engine has stalled even though the clutch has been depressed. Also my engine check light has been illuminated since the first occurrence. Any ideas? (GS)

Submitted: 03/01/2014 09:41:53 | ID: 60062

John Kele, Cheshire

Kia Carens 2006

Hi, can anyone help with this problem I have with my Kia Carens diesel? When starting up it struggles to rev up, when driving it struggles to take off. I just had the injectors tested and they are okay. The engine light is on flashing, has always been on. Any ideas? Thanks.

You may check out the EGR valve. Good luck Wadelnaim from County Antrim

Submitted: 17/12/2013 15:50:59 | ID: 58267

Richard Lambra, Lincolnshire

Kia Carens 2004

The gearbox on my Kia Carens is struggling to select third gear and grates going into fourth. I have sourced another gearbox and wondered what problems I am likely to come across trying to change it myself? (Diesel CRDi)

Submitted: 06/12/2013 11:55:58 | ID: 58879

Janette Morris, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Kia Carens 2005

Please does anyone know the location of the crank shaft sensor on my Kia Carens 2 ltr diesel?

Submitted: 07/11/2013 14:18:09 | ID: 57383

Rina Mar, England

Kia Carens 2007

After installing a fuel filter my Kia Carens won`t restart. Why?

Submitted: 28/10/2013 16:08:00 | ID: 56743

Michael, Kent

Kia Carens 2005

My diesel Kia Carens will sometimes turn over but not start. I will try several times then if I leave it for a few minutes it will start. The fuel pump has been changed. What is wrong with it? (diesel)

How many engine supports in a Kia Carens 2007 model? Edurdo Canayon Tom from Qatar

Submitted: 07/10/2013 09:36:52 | ID: 63744

Nyevs Nyevere, Zimbabwe

Kia Carens 2001

Hi. Have my Kia Carens 2001, very reliable. Air flow sensor was recorded as problem plus redundancy. Changed air flow sensor and check light went off when we remove the terminals, but came back on after a several kilometers again. What do l do, replace the sensor or what to get rid of the check light?

Submitted: 17/09/2013 11:06:15 | ID: 54395

Tracey Wright, England

Kia Carens 2004

Hi, we have a Kia Carens 2004. I need to get the next stage car seat (9mth - 4yrs) but I’ve been told that I can’t get one that fits safely enough in this car. Apparently the catches on the seat belts are too long so if we were to have a serious collision the seat belt would just snap. It wasn’t even that they wanted to sell me a more expensive seat as they reckon no seat will fit safely. Is this right?

As far as I know it has isofix fittings - so you just need to buy an isofix seat. Tim Sims from Berkshire

Submitted: 06/09/2013 15:11:55 | ID: 54071

Adrian Round, Derbyshire

Kia Carens 2008

My Kia Carens` blowers have stopped working. They were working fine and then just stopped. The A/C head unit works fine. I tried to change the fuse but couldn’t find one for the blowers. Can anyone help? (2ltr diesel LS)

Submitted: 05/08/2013 15:00:18 | ID: 53261

Matt Hellam, Nottinghamshire

Kia Carens 2005

Hi, please can anybody help? I can see drops of diesel coming from underneath the fuel filter of my Kia Carens where the black breather pipe is. Does that mean I need to change the filter?

Submitted: 25/07/2013 10:04:30 | ID: 52942

Antoine Abdayem, Lebanon

Kia Carens 2009

I want to change the automatic oil of my Kia Carens` triptronic transmission. Should I do it when the engine is cold or doesn’t it matter and which is the best oil I can use? Thanks.

Submitted: 07/06/2013 09:59:11 | ID: 55721

Audrey Goodliffe, Lincolnshire

Kia Carens 2006

My car is a Kia Carens 2L Le Crdi. I have a clicking sound when driving and braking but not all of the time. The car has been into the garage but they are unable to find out what it is. I`ve been told to check the strut nose on the driver`s side. It sounds as if it`s coming from the door area. Any help would be appreciated. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 03/05/2013 16:01:17 | ID: 55681

Rol Punt, Monmouthshire

Kia Carens 2007

I have a 2007 Kia Carens 2.0 crdi. When driving along the motorway for a while all`s going great but then the engine gets louder for a short time, whether speeding up or slowing down and then returns to normal. There are no lights or gauges on when this noise occurs. Please can anybody help?

Submitted: 23/04/2013 10:52:13 | ID: 90323

John, Aberdeenshire

Kia Carens 2005

My Kia Carens has a problem with it`s central locking, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn`t. When I`m driving you can hear the clicking noise from the doors but I haven`t pressed the button on the key. I got the battery changed but it`s still the same. Does anybody have any ideas?

Hello, This is water getting into the lock mechanism, causing it to short or active during the wet or just after. The rubber door seal actually directs the water into the mechanism. If you take the door card off you can bend the rubber up on itself to prevent the water dripping directly on the lock mechaism then WD40 the lock on the inside. It’s quite am easy job with basic tools. Paul Gerard from Yorkshire

Submitted: 15/04/2013 15:24:48 | ID: 92184

Steve, Sussex

Kia Carens 2003

Penny was good enough to answer my problem with the weak air blowers on my Kia Carens, but could someone tell me whereabouts I find the filters and how to change them? I am a real novice at working on cars but with costs nowadays I would rather try and attempt it then just put it in a garage.

Usually behind the glove compartment. Robin from Hampshire

Submitted: 08/01/2013 12:11:14 | ID: 67460

David Roberts, Kent

Kia Carens 2004

My 04 Kia Carens` front wipers have stopped working. I suspected a relay, but on looking inside the relay box under the bonnet nothing seems labeled as front wipers? Any ideas please guys? (Crdi)

Submitted: 31/12/2012 15:21:53 | ID: 66183

Pennypooch, Derbyshire

Kia Carens 2005

Our 56 plate 2L diesel Kia Carens does not appear to like city driving, stop, start, first gear and second gear. The clutch appears to stop working eventually and seems to be stuck in the depressed position. There is no clutch slip, over revving or excess travel on the pedal. Hubby found the clutch pedal to be partially depressed after being parked up for a while so he pulled it back to it``s normal position and it seems okay now. I never have a problem with normal driving. Has anyone else had this problem and any ideas as to a solution please?

Submitted: 17/12/2012 10:41:47 | ID: 93045

Steve, Sussex

Kia Carens 2003

Although the blowers on my Kia Carens do work they are very weak. You can hear the fan increase in speed okay and sound quite strong but the amount of air actually coming out has got weaker over the last couple of years. Any idea what needs doing?

There are filters in the air vents, we replaced ours because of the same problem and the blowers are fine now Penny Pooch from Derbyshire

Submitted: 03/12/2012 14:55:34 | ID: 64213

Noel Chidwick, England

Kia Carens 2006

Our Kia Carens has only done 46,000 miles, yet I am told that it needs a full service as for 60,000 miles. First off, I am being asked to pay £660 - is that reasonable? Also, do I need to have the timing belt replaced? If I don’t, what are the consequences if there are any problems? (2L diesel)

I have a full service every time I have my MOT done. It costs me a little over 200 quid. It depends on where you go. I live in Nottingham and go to an independent garage. Sounds like you are going to a main KIA dealer - am I right? My advice is to shop around... Simon Frost from England

Submitted: 26/11/2012 11:22:45 | ID: 63349

Hallgrimur Jonasson, Iceland

Kia Carens 2004

Will I have to have the waterpump on my Kia Carens replaced at the time the timing belt is changed and where is a good place to order a complete kit for the job? I have a mechanic to do the job.

Submitted: 26/11/2012 10:30:08 | ID: 63341

Agnel Ferrao, United Arab Emirates

Kia Carens 2012

My Kia Carens` engine has a particular humming sound at high RPM when driving in D or when in N at close to 3000RPM. It is a new vehicle and the dealer has changed the AC compressor, belt tensioner and idler pulley close to the alternator, but the sound is still there. Please can anyone advise?

Submitted: 15/10/2012 11:56:33 | ID: 63714

Donney Ramdial, Trinidad and Tobago

Kia Carens 2003

What is the initial timing on the Kia Carens? How do I set the marker on the crank? I think I have the cams but what is the recommended position for the crank - Is it the two marks on the crank pulley line up with the marks on the belt shield? (10-T)

Submitted: 03/09/2012 16:51:01 | ID: 88071

Nigel Lindley, England

Kia Carens 2009

How do we remove the panel above the radio on a 2009 Kia Carens?

Submitted: 03/09/2012 14:32:18 | ID: 87709

Ian Farrington, Shropshire

Kia Carens 2007

Why does my Kia Carens` windscreen wipe wash not spray when the pump is still working and the bottle is full?

Hi Ian, I had a similar problem and it was the filter in the bottom of the reservoir. Can be fiddly. I found removing drivers side wheel and loosening the screw clips that secure the plastic casings gave me better access to pump. Lift top clip and pump should pull clear (mind you don’t get soaked). I did this 3 times and it still clogged up (only started after began using screen wash) so last time I took the filter out (small disk) and it has worked perfectly well since. Hope this helps Tony Carey from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 28/08/2012 15:12:48 | ID: 88236

Sue, Kent

Kia Carens 2009

Just bought a 2-litre S Kia Carens manual petrol with 18000 mileage. Am only getting 23 miles to gallon and it sounds like its over revving when I’m driving even when in 5th gear. Tacho shows just over 4 when doing 70 mph which seems a bit high. Recommended mpg is 34. Any ideas what may be cause? Never had this problem with my 2004 Kia Carens, mpg were lot better.

Submitted: 14/08/2012 16:37:25 | ID: 75541

Tony Carey, Lincolnshire

Kia Carens 2002

My Caren’s gearbox will not go into second when moving. It will select first and second when stationary but when slowing down at a junction will not go into second. Occasionally will go in second when stopped but reluctant to go into first unless I go into reverse and back again. Can anyone help or advise?

Hi Tony. Not sure if you managed to sort your gearbox problem, I have similar issue, won’t go into second from third, ok when going up but not when coming down, I had the gearbox refurbished about 18 months ago, and replaced clutch, not sure if you have any answers yet John Leivers from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 08/08/2012 09:03:23 | ID: 72839

Kevin O’Sullivan, Ireland

Kia Carens 2007

Can anyone give me instructions on how to do the timing belt on the Kia Carens or where to find the said instructions? It currently has 153,000 Kms on the clock and the belt is due at 160,000 Kms. Access is a bit restricted but it should be do-able. I am just looking to avoid any unforeseen problems. Thanks. (2.0 CRDI)

Submitted: 31/07/2012 11:24:19 | ID: 88785

John Winnard, Lancashire

Kia Carens 2004

What is the Kia Carens` pump connected to the back of the alternator?

Submitted: 12/07/2012 14:07:21 | ID: 80249

John Leivers, Nottinghamshire

Kia Carens 2004

Does anyone know the easiest way to change the oil and air filters on a Kia Carens? It would be appreciated if anyone has any info. Many thanks.

The air filter is easy to change, just unclip the 4 clips, take out the old and replace with new. It`s the big black box behind the battery. The oil filter is a little bit tricky, it`s at the back of the engine under the brake master cylinder so room is tight. I presume it`s a diesel as I did mine 3 weeks ago. First remove 4 nuts holding the inter cooler in place, undo the small breather hoses, they just pull off,  then the large black hose on the bottom of inter coolers Julie clip and just move it to the right. Then remove the 4 bolts on the plastic engine cover and lift off. Now remove the 3 bolts that hold the expansion bottle on. There is a pipe under the expansion bottle, undo the nut that holds it in place just so you can move that pipe a bit when pulling out the filter. To the left of the master cylinder there is a wire earth, just undo that to give more room. Now you should have room to get your hand in and unscrew the oil filter, it should only be hand tight, if not then you need a filter strap remover to untighten it. Place a drip pan under it`s location under the car as it will spill out, Then it`s a matter of working the filter up and out. When putting a new oil filter in smear some new oil on the rubber seal. Then it`s the reversal of how you got it off and put everything back the way you undid it. Hope this helps, good luck. Richard Whelan from Ireland

Easier way: drive onto ramps. Lie underneath and locate where filter is and wriggle left arm up until you can get hold of it then turn, wearing a latex glove helps grip. Think carefully about which way you turn especially if you have trouble seeing things in reverse. You can then wiggle it down and wiggle the new one up. By the way I’m 18 stones and have quite thick arms but managed it OK. To avoid any drips I just turned the engine over a co from Cumberland

Submitted: 05/07/2012 11:08:39 | ID: 85275

Pete, England

Kia Carens 2005

Hi. I have an 05 Kia Carens diesel. It drives great, but when in low revs in second and third gear there is a lot of vibration through the body, until the revs get higher and it then disappears. Can anyone help please? (diesel)

Check the engine supports... Jerome Madriaga from Philippines

Possible that it may be the duel mass flywheel Matt Bonnar from England

Sounds like the notorious flywheel is giving up the ghost. You will know for sure as it will only get worse untill it can’t be driven. Just had mine done at 40,000 miles Stuart Chinery from England

Submitted: 07/06/2012 16:03:31 | ID: 86747