JAGUAR

Questions and answers

JAGUAR X-TYPE questions and answers

JAGUAR X-Type

Ask and answer questions on a variety of JAGUAR X-TYPE models. Help and advice on everything JAGUAR X-TYPE. Feel free to ask and answer as many JAGUAR-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest JAGUAR X-TYPE questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

colin nightingale, Lancashire

Jaguar X-Type

I'm looking at replacing a front wing and want to know if any x type wing will do or am I restricted to a certain age or type

Submitted: 10/04/2014 13:16:50 | ID: 94075

Esteban, United States of America

Jaguar X-Type

My car instrumentation cluster started to beep constantly and all my lights where displayed. It did it constantly on the way home. Just when I had parked my car, it happened again, so I turned off the car and tried to turn it on again and nothing happened. The gauges don't mark anything and the check engine light turned on. I tried disconnecting the battery, and several fuses

Submitted: 10/04/2014 08:17:44 | ID: 94063

Dilip Patel, Essex

Jaguar X-Type 2008

My Jaguar X-Type is showing passenger door open warning. The internal lights do not switch off, even after taking the keys out of the ignition. I can manually lock the driver`s door. What could the problem be, can it be a blown fuse? (2.2 diesel Auto)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 14:47:22 | ID: 93906

Ray Nash, County Londonderry

Jaguar X-Type 2003

My Jaguar X-Type won`t start sometimes, it just clicks. I have fitted a new starter and battery. Is it the immobiliser or the alarm?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 11:32:01 | ID: 93633

Lydford White, Bridgend

Jaguar X-Type 2004

When cold the engine of my Jaguar X-Type is fine, but when it warms up it starts to miss and blows black smoke which clears eventually and it goes okay for a while but then starts again. What`s wrong with it please?

Submitted: 25/03/2014 11:28:25 | ID: 63206

Alan Rowley, England

Jaguar X-Type 2003

The steering judders when I brake on my 2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.1 ltr. Why does it do this?

Submitted: 07/03/2014 09:32:41 | ID: 62472

Ray, United States of America

Jaguar X-Type 2002

I have a few issues. First, when my 2002 Jaguar X-Type Sport is cold and braking it emits a loud whining sound. Also, when cold and braking, the brakes will pulse. Occasionally the ABS light on the control panel will light after the pulsing, but goes off eventually or upon restart. Also, there is a loud click from the gear selector when the brake is depressed and released. I`m not sure if these are interconnected or not? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

sounds like the dreaded turbo boost control valve. :( to locate look at back of engine above turbo is a electrical box with a arm the goes to the exhaust manifold. this arms has a tendency to stick or the electrical box fails. martin from Leicestershire

Submitted: 04/03/2014 15:12:22 | ID: 62568

Carlo Caracciolo, Italy

Jaguar X-Type 2009

I have a Jaguar X-Type 2.2 diesel 5 years old. After 1 hour and half of highway driving the coil warning light began flashing on my display. There were no other warning lights but I did notice a loss of power (no turbo) when I accelerated. I turned off the engine and then started again and everything returned to normal. After 1 hour again the same problem, it happened 4 times and everytime I switched off and started again and the problem disappeared. I changed the battery a few months ago. Even if it was not cheap I suppose it’s not a high quality battery. Could it be the cause of the problem? Thanks.

Submitted: 03/03/2014 15:55:32 | ID: 62509

Brian Dale, England

Jaguar X-Type 2003

I have a rattle under the dashboard of my Jaguar X-Type on the passenger side. Any ideas?

Submitted: 25/02/2014 16:35:25 | ID: 62359

Michael Joseph, Cheshire

Jaguar X-Type 2002

I parked my Jaguar X-Type and when I came to start it the engine management, oil and battery lights were on. I put it into gear and let the clutch out but the car would not move. I switched it off and back on and everything was okay. Is there a problem waiting to happen? (2.1 sport manual)

Submitted: 18/02/2014 14:17:47 | ID: 62200

David Malin, Warwickshire

Jaguar X-Type 2009

Hi. I have a Jaguar X-Type 2009 Diesel. When travelling the engine revs up and then drops down again. The car has only done just over 30,000 miles. Is this normal as I think it is wasting fuel? Thanks.

Submitted: 14/02/2014 12:05:06 | ID: 62073

David Comrie, Fife and Kinross Shires

Jaguar X-Type 2005

I have fitted new spark plugs to my 2005 Jaguar X-Type, but am still getting a smell of exhaust fumes. What should I do?

Fitted new spark plugs to my Jaguar X-Type 2005, still miss on my engine. David Comrie from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 11/02/2014 12:30:16 | ID: 62005

Imran Ali, England

Jaguar X-Type 2009

Hi. I parked my Jaguar X-Type up a week ago all fine and a week later I started the car and my heater panel, reverse parking sensor and light and headlight would not work. The engine management light and aabs light are on. I checked and all fuses are okay. I can’t seem to find the problem. Any ideas?

Submitted: 16/01/2014 14:15:26 | ID: 60781

Clay Andrew, Surrey

Jaguar X-Type 2002

I have a Jaguar X-Type and the alarm keeps going off and will only stop when I disconnect the battery. Does anyone know why?

Under the n/s wheel arch there is a sounder unit, which can be got at without removing the liner, but it is not easy. Disconnect this unit and try for a few days. Mike from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 16/01/2014 10:33:59 | ID: 53889

Leslie Swain, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Jaguar X-Type 2002

When I start my Jaguar X-Type all lights will go off, but after a minute or so they come back on and won`t go off again. Also one of the lights is the handbrake light and it feels as if I am driving with the handbrake on. Any clues as to what is wrong? Thank you.

Submitted: 02/01/2014 16:08:03 | ID: 60109

Mal Swart, South Africa

Jaguar X-Type 2005

I have a Jaguar X-Type. When travelling the engine revs drop to idle. If I switch off and restart it then it runs okay for a short distance like 1km before it then cuts off again. Why would it do this?

Submitted: 02/01/2014 15:51:11 | ID: 60143

Thomas Elliott, United States of America

Jaguar X-Type 2002

I have a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 gas (petrol) automatic. I bought it second-hand seven years ago and it has been flawless. I only drive it to work on Fridays for the most part. I tried to start it and it only clicked, the engine starter engages and my turn over one little "ruuuhr" but no more. It`s not the immobliser. It`s had a new battery and new battery cables but still won’t turn over, or if it does a little it won’t keep turning over. The battery is good, I tried it in my Ford Ranger and that started up without a problem. I’m thinking the start may be bad, an engine accessory is mostly bound up making it almost impossible for the engine to turn, or a head gasket leak has allowed coolant to get into the cylinders causing hydro-lock? Has anyone had this same issue and if so what was the fix? (USA 2.5 gas (petrol) engine)

I had the same problem with my 02 X-Type 2.5 after awhile I pulled into my shop and all it would do was turnover, overall the problem was the crank position sensor. Cost like 35 bucks from O’Riley’s. After I changed that starts like a brand new car Ryan Vinarski from United States of America

Submitted: 17/12/2013 11:54:18 | ID: 59470

Harry Turnbull, Durham

Jaguar X-Type 2007

My Jaguar X-Type runs roughly and cuts out around 50 mph but then starts immediately. Any ideas?

Hi. I have an X-Type 2.0 diesel estate, mine did the same thing but when I lost power to 50mph the heater plug light flashed on and off. Got me baffled as I restarted it and it went about 3 weeks before doing it again I eventually found a thin rubber pipe under the air filter housing had come off so I replaced it and its never happened again up to now touch wood. Good luck Gary Lemmon from Durham

Submitted: 12/12/2013 14:25:14 | ID: 55085

Kevin Hodgson, England

Jaguar X-Type

When accelerating I lose power and my Jaguar X-Type 2.1 petrol judders. Why is this?

Perhaps your clutch is slipping. Jim Williamson from Scotland

Submitted: 10/12/2013 15:11:42 | ID: 59062

Barry Castle, Hertfordshire

Jaguar X-Type

I can`t remove the cap from my Jaguar X-Type.`s coolant tank, it unscrews but I can`t pull it off? (3.0 ltr)

They all do this after a while, just unscrew all the way and give it a good tug and it will come off. To refit give it a firm push down and then tighten Tony Smith from England

Submitted: 10/12/2013 11:07:46 | ID: 55361

Jessica, England

Jaguar X-Type 2004

How much is a before market front bumper for my Jaguar X-Type?

Submitted: 06/12/2013 09:03:43 | ID: 63668

Peter Sims, Derbyshire

Jaguar X-Type 2004

Hello, my Jaguar X-Type has done 92k miles. When I accelerate I get a lot of black smoke from the exhaust. Could this be the injectors and if so are these difficult to remove to get refurbished? Could I do this myself? (2 litre diesel)

Submitted: 05/12/2013 12:12:00 | ID: 58788

Nigel Richards, Gloucestershire

Jaguar X-Type 2002

When my Jaguar X-Type would not start I called out the AA man who said I had a flat battery which he replaced. Since then the car horn has been sounding intermittently (I don’t think it’s the alarm as the lights don’t flash?) This problem didn’t exist before! Any ideas as to a solution please? (2.5 litre petrol)

Submitted: 22/11/2013 10:54:28 | ID: 58446

Feryy Nadel, England

Jaguar X-Type 2006

Hi. I`ve got a Jaguar X-Type from a dealer. Everything was okay till today, 2 weeks after I got the car. I fitted new discs back and front, new brake pads, filters and an oil change. The problem is now when I press the accelerator I’m losing power and also have black smoke and a light like diesel glow plug. The mechanic said to me the problem could be the turbo charger but is not sure. Also the cost of replacing the turbo with labour is £780 which is a lot of money and he`s not sure so I`m not going to gve him nearly £800 just for fun. Any ideas please? Thanks.

Submitted: 19/11/2013 10:18:22 | ID: 58078

Shanu, United States of America

Jaguar X-Type 2003

The horn on my Jaguar X-Type will not shut off unless I pull the relay. I have tried replacing the relay and all associated fuses. I have checked that all doors, hood and trunk are shut and no indicator lights are on the dash. I also checked for any moisture around any of the electrical and in the trunk, etc and none found. Using the FOB to lock/unlock the car will not get it to shut off either. I notice that with the horn disconnected, any relay I plug into the horn slot will click when first inserted (activating). The car starts and drives fine. I`m not sure where to go from here as I have read the issue could be anything from the horns themselves to the backup battery for the alarm, to the horn switch. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated! Any ideas please?

I’ve seen this on two cars previously, a ’77 Chevy Nova and a 90-something Ford Escort. In both cases the horn contacts into he steering wheel where shorted together. In both cases it was due to the owner driving most of the time with their hands resting across the top of the horn section on the wheel. This eventually misshaped the horn pad and created the short circuit, just like you were pressing the horn button all the time. Thomas Elliott from United States of America

Submitted: 12/11/2013 14:36:41 | ID: 57766

F K, Scotland

Jaguar X-Type 2002

Where is the battery backup sounder located on my Jaguar X-Type? (2.1 petrol)

Submitted: 05/11/2013 16:22:38 | ID: 57348

Mark, England

Jaguar X-Type 2004

I have a Jaguar X-Type and when I am driving it the clutch pedal goes soft and goes to the floor. After about 20 minutes it comes back and everything is okay. This has happened a few times now. Any ideas? (diesel)

Your clutch is on it’s way out mate. It happened to mine then it just broke lol it cost around £900 to fix. Mitch Brown from England

Submitted: 04/11/2013 09:52:45 | ID: 66649

Martin, Essex

Jaguar X-Type 2003

When the outside temperature goes over 25 degrees the electrical system in my Jaguar X-Type fails completely. Either the car won’t start at all, completely dead or the dash goes crazy with dials all up and down. I open the bonnet, leave to cool down or park in the shade and it all works fine. Jaguar garage couldn’t diagnose the problem and said I probably needed a new whole dashboard panel and accompanying circuit boards (approx cost £2.000) Also they said I have a leaking water pump. It’s winter now so I am driving the car with it`s engine warning light on and hoping we have a cool summer next year. Any ideas? (2.5)

Crank shaft sensor or split cable in the loom. Try getting a code when it has gotten warm in the engine to give yourself a better idea Dazza Oby from England

Submitted: 29/10/2013 16:09:39 | ID: 56984

Scott Walker, England

Jaguar X-Type

Hi. I have a 2002 Jaguar X-Type and noticed the front dome lights insde were not working so I took the dome off and it was unplugged. I plugged it back in but now the lights in the car inc footwell, front dome and centre dome will not go out once the door is closed. I unplugged the front dome and now the rest of the lights now go out. Can anybody help me please?

Submitted: 29/10/2013 15:45:08 | ID: 56965

Harry Kelly, United States of America

Jaguar X-Type 2003

Is it easier to remove a 2.5 engine from the top or bottom of a Jaguar X-Type?

Submitted: 25/10/2013 14:46:28 | ID: 56369

Gareth, England

Jaguar X-Type 2003

Hi. Why is my Jaguar X-Type`s air con on all of the time? If the fan speed control is on minimum and the a/c is off, if I turn it up it comes on. I`m thinking of taking the fuse out if I can`t turn it off manually? Thanks. (saloon)

Submitted: 25/10/2013 12:31:34 | ID: 56504

Ralph Rafa, England

Jaguar X-Type 2002

My Jaguar X-Type started with the red circle like gear type on the dash. I used to turn off the car then turn it back on and it will work again. I did that for like a week and the red light came back on and if I try the same thing now it doesn`t turn off. So the problem with that is that when the light comes on the car doesn`t go over ten miles mph, it won`t go faster than that. What can the problem be? Some guy told me it can be the throttle or gas pedal?

Submitted: 10/10/2013 16:17:07 | ID: 56161

David Scotcher, Fife and Kinross Shires

Jaguar X-Type 2005

My 2L V6 Jaguar X-Type has been parked on the driveway for 2 weeks. I`ve just taken it out for a drive and it seems to be misfiring. Any ideas please? (2L V6 Petrol)

Submitted: 08/10/2013 12:43:37 | ID: 54501

Andrea, United States of America

Jaguar X-Type 1992

The bearings were changed on my Jaguar X-Type`s back tyre driver`s side and the wheel is leaning inwards towards the trunk. What is causing this problem? Someone said it needed to be balanced but I wasn’t sure about that and didn’t want to spend the money doing that if that wasn’t the problem. Any suggestions?

Submitted: 01/10/2013 11:53:46 | ID: 55386

Shaun, England

Jaguar X-Type 2003

I’ve just purchased a Jaguar X-Type 2.0L petrol manual which was driving superbly for the first few days, but recently it has developed some sort of misfire. Within the first few minutes of the journey, the engine randomly cuts out for a second and then continues normally. It usually happens around 3000rpm and no more than 3 times. It idles and accelerates fine so I’m wondering if anyone might know of this fault? Thanks. (2.0 Petrol)

Submitted: 30/09/2013 10:21:33 | ID: 66069

Tony Blunsden, England

Jaguar X-Type 2005

My Jaguar X-Type has no power on the red and brown cable to the rear wiper. What number fuse controls this? (sd diesel)

Submitted: 27/09/2013 09:26:00 | ID: 54434

Peter Slater, Australia

Jaguar X-Type 2002

Hi, my Jaguar X-Type 2.5 V6 petrol engine seems very harsh and noisy (like a diesel) when engine revs rise, ie when the auto trans kicks down to overtake or climb a hill. Also it seems to be a bit lacking in power as it kicks down at the slightest sniff of a hill. It runs smoothly and quietly as you would expect when cruising on the flat at lower RPM. It has recently had both oil and filter replaced. I have read elsewhere that it could possibly be caused by the engine mount transferring engine vibration through the car? Is there a revised engine mount that can resolve this? (2.5 V6 Petrol)

Submitted: 09/09/2013 15:10:21 | ID: 54128

Damian Chester, England

Jaguar X-Type 2002

I have recently bought a Jaguar X-Type. It drives fine until you want to soeed up a bit. Gentle acceleration is fine, but when you push hard the car feels like it is holding back, then suddenly picks up and goes for it after a bit of a judder. ODB11 readings have given 4 codes that could all be achieved through fuel starvation ie mixture too lean and air flow voltage high. I am hoping that this is a fuel filter problem but could it be something else? (2.5 v6 petrol)

Submitted: 06/08/2013 15:24:28 | ID: 53381

Alex Ferguson, Ayrshire

Jaguar X-Type 2003

I have an intermittent fault with a message on the dashboard of my Jaguar X-Type saying rear passenger door open, even though the door is closed properly. I find the error message happens on colder temperature days but there is no error message on warm sunny days. Can anyone suggest what could be causing this please?

Submitted: 20/06/2013 14:11:21 | ID: 55503

Bob, United States of America

Jaguar X-Type 2002

Jaguar X-Type: Trouble with my gearbox on my 2002 Jaguar. Won’t start in park plus it jumps out of park. Also won’t shift in drive need to start out in lower gear than put in drive to move forward. Please can you help?

Submitted: 31/05/2013 15:22:16 | ID: 54173