HYUNDAI TERRACAN questions and answers

HYUNDAI Terracan

Ask and answer questions on a variety of HYUNDAI TERRACAN models. Help and advice on everything HYUNDAI TERRACAN. Feel free to ask and answer as many HYUNDAI-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest HYUNDAI TERRACAN questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Craig Lamshed, United Arab Emirates

Hyundai Terracan 2005

I have a Hyundai Terracan V6 and of late have been experiencing some issues regarding the transfer case/diffs. When driving it seems to do a change down which lurches the car forward, especially when stopping or slowing down. It`s escalated to the point where, when doing hard turns right or left, it shudders. The mechanic said it was locking the rear wheels and seemed to be coming from the transfer case locking up. So I disengaged the transfer case by removing the fuse and this effectively has allowed me to run the car as ’rear’ wheel drive. 1.) What are the effects of removing the fuse for the Transfer case? 2.) What else could be the cause of the issue? Thank you in advance for any assistance. (Petrol)

Submitted: 04/04/2014 09:45:32 | ID: 93808

Frank Roberts, England

Hyundai Terracan 2004

Can I take the box cover over the diesel tank of my Hyundai Terracan off? Will the diesel tank still be supported on its own? Many thanks.

Submitted: 03/04/2014 09:13:06 | ID: 93755

Nigel, New Zealand

Hyundai Terracan 2004

Hi there. The glow plug light on my Hyundai Terracan flashes continually at times after start up. It stops after a while but generally after that happens the battery dies and has to be jump-started. It will go just fine again for days/weeks then the same thing will happen. I have had the battery tested and they say it is fine. Any thoughts? Thanks so much.

Submitted: 20/03/2014 14:16:15 | ID: 63089

Tim Page, Surrey

Hyundai Terracan 2005

On checking fluid levels in my Hyundai Terracan before a journey I found there was engine oil in the coolant header tank - a layer on the coolant. There is no indication of coolant in the engine oil (ie a frothy emulsion). I spoke with my local Hyundia garage and they inidcated it could be due to either a faulty head gasket or due to a failed oil seal on the engine oil cooler. My local garage (all makes) have had a look/see around the engine area and are unable to find the location of an oil cooler. The question is, does the Terracan have an engine oil cooler and where is it located? The gearbox is manual - not automatic. Any knowledge on this problem? Thanks.

Submitted: 20/03/2014 12:11:32 | ID: 63026

Tony Kelsall, England

Hyundai Terracan 2004

Could anyone tell please advise me what does diagnostic report P1119 mean? I have a Hyundai Terracan 2004 2.9 diesel automatic. I am having difficulties getting it started but eventually it will start and it tends to smoke. I had a diagnostic report done on the car and it showed P1119. Does anyone know what P1119 means in term of repair? Some suggested I should fit a non return valve on the fuel pipe between the fuel pump and the last injector and that should solve the starting problem. As for smoking I have no idea. Any advice will be much appreciated.

I had this problem too. It was the injectors, so I took my Terracan for a refurb. What a difference! I also blanked the egr valve to stop the smoking. Paul Soper from Kent

Have you done a test on injectors as mine had that code and required the injectors to be refurbed. Paul Soper from England

Submitted: 28/02/2014 09:18:36 | ID: 60010

Sue Johnson, Costa Rica

Hyundai Terracan 2004

I have to have my Hyundai Terracan`s transmission fluid changed and I need to know what weight and how many quarts I need to do the job please? Thanks.

Submitted: 25/02/2014 15:19:08 | ID: 60718

John Watkins, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2006

My Hyundai Terracan will not start at first when the ignition is turned on, it just goes click, click and after several tries it then starts. I have replaced the relays in the fuse box and installed a new battery and I can’t find anything on the starter motor. I guess that`s the only thing left. Any ideas or advice please? (Terracan 4x4 diesel)

Had a similar event with my 2005 Terracan 2.9 TDI, was told to check the air lines to and from the fuel filter, replace the clips with worm drive clips for a better seal to prevent any air from being sucked in. Check and see if the lines are loose. Denis O’Brien from Australia

Submitted: 06/02/2014 12:16:28 | ID: 61777

Grant Myburgh, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2004

I have a Hyundai Terracan V6 3.5L and of late have been experiencing some issues regarding the transfer case/diffs. When driving it seems to do a change down which lurches the car forward, especially when stopping or slowing down. It`s escalated to the point where, when doing hard turns right or left, it shudders. The mechanic said it was locking the rear wheels and seemed to be coming from the transfer case locking up. So I disengaged the transfer case by removing the fuse and this effectively has allowed me to run the car as ’rear’ wheel drive. 1.) What are the effects of removing the fuse for the Transfer case? 2.) If I have checked and changed the transfer case, gearbox, front diff and rear diff oil, what else could be the cause of the issue? Thank you in advance for any assistance. (Highlander 3.5L V6)

Submitted: 30/01/2014 12:23:47 | ID: 61529

Jannie Nel, South Africa

Hyundai Terracan 2005

Where does the gearbox oil pump sit on the Hyundai Terracan 2.9 CRDI and is it possible to lose oil pressure? I have found the gearbox overheating in extreme temperatures.

Submitted: 21/01/2014 16:07:56 | ID: 89115

Juan Ortiz, Costa Rica

Hyundai Terracan 2005

I am the owner of a Hyundai Terracan automatic CRDI 2.9. It turns on low wheel drive and high wheel drive at the same time. Does anybody know why?

Submitted: 07/01/2014 10:51:54 | ID: 60340

Bob Stibbard, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2005

Hi, I am looking to buy a service manual for my Hyundai Terracan. I am new to this type of car and need all the help I can get. Can anyone help? Thanks. (awd auto diesel)

Submitted: 30/12/2013 14:21:56 | ID: 59762

Serigne Fall, Gambia

Hyundai Terracan 2002

My 02 Hyundai Terracan shows me ecu relay intermeten p1640. Can anyone help please?

Hi, p1640 refers to a problem with the PCM (powertrain control module) or related circuitry. Not the easiest to diagnose without a checking procedure. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 24/12/2013 10:25:12 | ID: 59616

Nathan Johnson, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2004

On my Hyundai Terracan`s instrument cluster I have lost my backing lights. Does anyone have any info on this problem? (petrol)

Submitted: 23/12/2013 10:43:47 | ID: 59598

Bob Stibbard, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2005

Hi, at low speed and turning a corner my Hyundai Terracan momentarily loses power. No dash lights come on and after pumping the throttle pedal a couple of times it starts going again as if nothing has happened. Any ideas? (auto diesel)

Submitted: 20/12/2013 12:42:04 | ID: 56093

Hugh Dunlop, Scotland

Hyundai Terracan 2003

Hi there. My Hyundai Terracan will not start without a sniff of easy start, it will then run fine but won’t start after, even when warm. I have fitted 2 cam sensors, changed crank sensor, fuel pump and primer and fitted a new battery. No codes are coming up and it ran fine for a week after I fitted the first cam sensor. Now I have run out of ideas. Can anyone help please? Any ideas are welcome.

I have the same problem but one technician told me that my Terracan is losing fuel pressure at fuel tank where the fuel pump sealer is placed. For me this is a convincing idea since the O ring around the fuel pump is damaged since I have more than twice changed the fuel pump because of the quality of the fuel available here. Hoshyar Hoshyar from Iraq

Submitted: 19/12/2013 14:17:05 | ID: 59510

Garry Felini, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2005

Where can I find the fuse for the 4WD on my Hyundai Terracan?

Submitted: 21/11/2013 12:20:12 | ID: 57203

Dee, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2005

I have a Hyundai Terrracan 05. My brakes are very hard and I don`t know what caused it to happen? Can anybody help?

Suggest you may have lost your vacuum since brake master cylinder requires a vacuum to assist brake effort Rob Ward from Australia

Submitted: 19/11/2013 11:12:09 | ID: 58036

Kelvin, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2006

I have a 2006 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 turbo diesel. When it warms up the engine light comes on and it loses power and cuts out. I can start it straight away and it will run for a minute but then cuts out again. I can leave it idling as long as it wants and it will not stall. I cleaned the tank, the lines and replaced the filter. I did 400kms on the highway and then it started to do the same thing again. Can someone help me please? (turbo diesel)

Try to clean the Mass Airflow Sensor with a contact cleaner, when it gets clogged up, it causes the car loss power. Hope it helps Ismail from Brunei Darussalam

Hi, I have worked out that it does it when under quarter of a tank and there is still diesel in it and after priming 3 to 4 times. It will not go anymore, but then when you fill it up it stops. Kelvin from Australia

Get an O ring that can fit to the screw thread of the hand primer before fixing the fuel filter. Hope it helps. Philip Agbeshie from Ghana

Submitted: 18/11/2013 14:11:36 | ID: 58032

Greg Webster, South Africa

Hyundai Terracan 2006

I am really interested in buying a 2.9 crdi Hyunda Terracan I have my eye on at the moment, It has 183,000 km on the clock with fsh and has been well looked after. Are there any things that I should look for that may cause future problems? I have driven the car and it goes very well, although the 4x4 low and 4x4 high lights on the dash were staying on for a while, but I played with the selector switch while stopped and they then went off. Does anyone think this may be a problem now or later? (2.9 crdi)

Submitted: 18/11/2013 10:58:42 | ID: 57995

Thorz Thor, Brunei Darussalam

Hyundai Terracan 2005

I have a problem with my Hyundai Terracan 2.5L auto. The problem is when the engine is cold, if I go shift gear R my car won’t move until the temperature is normal position?

Submitted: 07/11/2013 10:38:37 | ID: 57474

John Filon, Ecuador

Hyundai Terracan 2006

Is it necessary to remove the rear tyres to adjust the emergency brake on my Hyundai Terracan? About how long should the adjustment take?

Submitted: 04/11/2013 15:52:49 | ID: 57246

Bruce Lester, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2002

I have a 2002 V6 Hyundai Terracan and, under load towing a caravan, the car seems to split overdrive when the load is too great on the vehicle, but as the load increases going up a hill it will change out of overdrive. Is this normal or is there a problem with the auto transmission? (3.5 litre V6)

Submitted: 29/10/2013 08:56:09 | ID: 56892

Amy Mba, England

Hyundai Terracan 2006

I bought my Hyundai Terracan from a company and parked it for 2 years or so. It was less than 50,000 km when I got it in August 2012. Between then and now I must have experienced clutch failure for more than seven times, the last one happened within one month of the previous. What could be responsible and how can I resolve this once and for all? (diesel engine, manual driven)

Submitted: 28/10/2013 14:42:42 | ID: 56762

Johnny, England

Hyundai Terracan 2003

Hi. I have a 2003 Hyundai Terracan which seems slow at the moment. I can only make it go fast by hard acceleration. I have been to the main dealer but no fault codes were found. Any suggestions on what to do?

Try to clean up the mass airflow sensor with a contact cleaner Ismail from Brunei Darussalam

Submitted: 24/10/2013 11:00:30 | ID: 56482

Nizar, Saudi Arabia

Hyundai Terracan 2002

I have a Hyundai Terracan and the body valve transmission does not work property in R. Any ideas?

Submitted: 07/10/2013 15:54:46 | ID: 83580

James van den Berg, South Africa

Hyundai Terracan 2007

I have just bought a used 2008 Hyundai Terracan Crdi A/t. with 200000 km on the clock. After travelling about 1200 km with it the vehicle started one morning but died after about a minute. I tried to start it but it did not want to start. The starter spinned but it sounded like the diesel did not get to the engine. I waited approximately 45 minutes and the vehicle started and I used it for about two weeks. One morning the same thing happened and although it started again it only idled for a couple of minutes before it died off again. Can anyone assist me identifying the problem? (Crdi A/T)

Diesel lift pump playing up. When it happens again hand prime it with the rubber bulb next to the fuel filter, it will start. The lift pump is built into the injection pump and its costly to overhaul, you dont need to do this, use a good auto electrician to wire in an electric lift pump with a fuse and relay, it’s just fitted in line to your fuel filter, a good garage will know how when you explain this to them. Regards Gary O’Brien from Kent

Hi Gary, thank you for the advice. I replaced the pump with a electric one as suggested. Since I did this two weeks ago two pumps burnt out - reason unknown. Suddenly now he engine light also comes on (sometimes immediately other times only after a few hundred Km’s). I took it to a auto electrician who checked the fuel pump and injectors and suggested I replace the number 2 injector because of leakage. The engine runs like a dream, but as soon as the engine light comes on then the revs go down and the vehicle loses power. I really don’t know what to do next! James van den Berg from South Africa

When the engine light comes out and the vehicle loss power, I suggest to clean up the mass airflow sensor with a contact cleaner. I have encountered this in my Grand Vitara, the engine lights comes out and turn out to be the mass airflow sensor is dirty Ismail from Brunei Darussalam

Are you using a quality fuel? Do not use Bio fuels, they are too thick and will ruin your injector pump and lift pump. Gary O’Brien from Kent

Hi guys, thank you for your responses. I was quite busy the past two months. Ismail - can you perhaps guide me in doing this? Gary - I use 50 PPM diesel. It seems if all else fails than I will have to get someone to check the lift pump. Regards James van den Berg from South Africa

Submitted: 03/10/2013 11:11:52 | ID: 55762

Keith Jenkins, England

Hyundai Terracan 2007

My Hyundai Terracan is overheating when I turn the air conditioning on. Does anyone know what could be causing this? (Diesel)

Is it really overheating - if not there is a earth fault located behind the dash - the indicated overheating only occurs under a specific set of circumstances they are 1 - the thermostat temperature has to be above 98 degrees 2 - the air con has to be turned on 3 - gets worse when the headlights on Hyundai has a fix in a technical bulletin. Basically the problem is the earth common in the dash becomes a poor connect and as the earth currents increase a excessively high voltage across the earth causing the in dash gauge to go ballistic. Turn off both headlights and A/C and gauge will read correctly Ross from Australia

Submitted: 23/09/2013 14:11:49 | ID: 92101

Karun Chhabra, Costa Rica

Hyundai Terracan 2003

The A/T indicator light for automatic transmission began blinking while driving my Hyundai Terracan. Level checks showed that the transmission fluid was low. This was replenished to the required level but the light continues to blink. The engine starts and drives normally with no noise or vibration from the transmission. The gears change smoothly and nothing is inhibited. Cold booted (battery disconnected) the computer but no joy. Does anyone know what the problem could be please? (2.9 ltr diesel CRDI)

This issue is addressed in the Owner’s Manual - mine is a petrol - it says if it stays on it should be stopped immediately and left idling until the light goes out - keeping driving can cause irreparable damage. I do this when the light flashes too, I have bouts of it doing this trick especially after a drive then a short stop. I suspects it’s a false reading but I always stop and let it idle, after a few minutes it goes out. I have noticed that if it is just switched off and left, even over night, the flashing is still there until the engine is started and left to idle for a few minutes, I suspect a false reading in the computer control unit. Eric Butcher from Barbados

Submitted: 06/08/2013 14:39:27 | ID: 53343

Beryl Parker, Devon

Hyundai Terracan 2005

Having travelled on the motorway in my Hyundai Terracan, I stopped at an exit. I then went into first gear and pulled away, then into second, but as I went to go into third gear I seemed to lose power. Once I got into fourth it was okay. It`s not always happening. Please can anyone help?

Submitted: 05/08/2013 15:59:06 | ID: 52831

Tina Wever, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2006

My Hyundai Terracan loses all gears when the car temperature is warm. It drives fine when cold. The computer reads no faults at all. The car lost drive while sitting at a red light, no drive, first, second, reverse-nothing. I was able to turn the ignition off and back on straight away and drove the car for one minute down the road to a safe parking area. Does anyone know what could be wrong? (Diesel automatic)

Submitted: 11/07/2013 09:51:26 | ID: 65271

Nick Thwaites, England

Hyundai Terracan 2005

Hi, according to the manual the amount of transmission oil required for a Diesel auto Hyundai Terracan 2.9 is 11.8 litres, however after draining the sump (which is where the dip stick goes into ) via the drain bolt it would seem that only about 5.6 litres comes out and about that amount is required to re fill and bring up to the correct level when filling. It seems odd, where is the outstanding amount ie 6 litres? Are there two sumps for the automatic gear box transmission, if so where can I find it? Thanks. (Diesel auto 2.9)

It is not possible to drain the torque converter, you have to run the engine to pump it out. First, drain the gearbox sump. You should get 5 to 5 1/2 ltr out. Replenish the sump with the same amount of fresh ATF. Remove engine undershield and locate the lowest pipe that runs from the gearbox to the oil cooler, that is the return feed to the gearbox. Pull it off from the oil cooler stub and fit a length of clear pipe to the stub. Lead the pipe into a large container of at least 4ltr. capacity. Chock wheels and apply handbrake, then, start engine and engage D. Rush around to the front and observe dirty oil pumping out. Stop engine when you have 4 ltrs. Replenish gearbox with fresh ATF,the same amount that you have just pumped out. Repeat process pumping another 3 or 4 ltrs until the oil runs clear. Check oil level in the normal way, once it has all been re- fitted and on level ground. Roy Stephens from France

Submitted: 05/07/2013 16:42:19 | ID: 53814

Ansari Ahmad, Saudi Arabia

Hyundai Terracan 2004

My Hyundai Terracan has some electronic problem or the sensors may not be working, The automatic gears do not go above second gear, even on full throttle and the engine get`s heated running in second gear. I have checked it on the computer and transmission shows okay, gear box is okay and the engine is okay but the throttle sensor shows faulty, I`ve already changed it for a new sensor which made no difference. We checked the continuity of all selector switch below the clutch knob and feel some electronic components are not working. It`s been suggested it may have an electronic circuit board problem which may not be giving a signal to the automatic gear selector sensor. Where is it located? Can anyone help me please?

Submitted: 24/06/2013 10:58:33 | ID: 91897

Geoff Davis, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2005

Hi guys. I have the ignition key stuck in the ignition of my Hyundai Terracan. I made sure it is in park and it`s been wiggled. It could be either the switch for ’park’ or the ignition solenoid. Before I pull stuff apart I wonder if anyone has any thoughts out there? The car has been great, has done 150K without any issues and has great fuel economy as it`s been used as a bit of a work horse. Any ideas please? (CRDI Auto)

Submitted: 17/06/2013 12:25:10 | ID: 58310

Harinder Singh, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2005

The 4X4 of my Hyundai Terracan remains on all of the time and it displays on the instrument panel. The 4X4 selector switch is not able to switch it off., but if we go for a long drive it disengages after driving 30-40 kms but then comes back on when we start off next time. Does anyone know what I can do about this? (3.5 V6 Petrol)

Submitted: 26/04/2013 10:24:07 | ID: 93389

Steve Hemsley, Hertfordshire

Hyundai Terracan 2006

When my Hyundai Terracan stops at junctions, unless my foot is on the brakes the vehicle pulls forward. It`s just started happening. It has 54,000 on the clock. I have changed the fuel filter and air filter, is it the fuel injectors? Any clues?

Automatic or manual? Gary O’Brien from Kent

Submitted: 15/04/2013 15:08:06 | ID: 93079

Kelvin Towt, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2005

My Hyundai Terracan 4x4 has an electrical or computer problem with the indicating lights on the dash staying on all of the time when not engaged. Could this also affect my o/drive as I do the same revs 3000 at 100km, engaged or not?

Submitted: 11/04/2013 11:07:10 | ID: 92838

Norman, Portugal

Hyundai Terracan 2004

Where can I get a new differential- part No.H51300H1601 for my Hyundai Terracan? This is the second time I’ve needed a replacement. The last one was fitted in May 2012 in the UK and is, I’m told, under warranty. Hyundai in Portugal have apparently said the part is no longer made - after less than 10 years! Can anyone help me please? (2.9 CRDi 4x4 automatic)

Submitted: 22/03/2013 14:05:21 | ID: 65562

Ray Russell, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2005

Hi, I have a 2005 crdi. Under load, like towing caravan up a steep hill I hear a click type of noise from under the bonnet, then the check engine light comes on and the car seems to lose power. Once the engine is stopped and restarted the problem goes away. I have pulled the egr valve off and cleaned it but the problem is still there. (crdi manual trans)

I too would like to know what the problem is on my 2005 model. My egr valve was blocked and the MAF sensor cleaned, but the problem still there. In a Terracan workshop manual I found that an sticky dump valve can also cause that the engine management cuts and causes the power loss. If anybody knows please let us know Bertie Roux from South Africa

Submitted: 12/03/2013 08:46:06 | ID: 91559

Ilya Jeorovg, Lithuania

Hyundai Terracan 2005

I have a problem with the full-wheel drive system on my Hyundai Terracan 2.9 CRDI Diesel. The front wheels do not spin when I switch to 4H. Same problem with 4L - (low range gear box works okay, but again, the front wheels are not spinning. Could this be an electrical problem? Because once I was stuck off-road and ABS/Hand Break/Check engine lights went on, but disappeared when I was towed back onto the road. I assume that this is a major defect and I should run a diagnostic in the Hyundai service, but still keep my fingers crossed that this might me a minor issue so that I might even fix it myself. Anyway, any help/advice is highly appreciated. Thanks! (CRDi)

On your front axle there will be a vacuum valve with 2 rubber pipes on it and a concertinaed rubber hose, this is located about the middle of axle facing front. This has seized or the diaphragm has perished, with the car over a pit or on ramps and wheels chocked, pull back the concertinaed rubber hose (it’s just a dust cover). Underneath is a rod that goes to the axle. Have someone sit in the car and engage the 4X4 high/low back to 2X4 - this rod should move back and forth engaging 4X4 and back to 2X4. If it doesn’t move back and forth it’s seized and that’s your problem. Take care when uncoupling the rod, it has a hidden pin under a spring cap. Pull the spring cap back and push the pin out with a watch screw driver, then undo the 2 bolts and pull off the 2 pipes, replace and your 4X4 is back. Gary O’Brien from Kent

Submitted: 24/12/2012 09:03:12 | ID: 65986

Bob Powers, Anguilla

Hyundai Terracan 2005

I`m driving a friend’s Hyundai Terracan with no owner’s manual. How do I change from a 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel high or low? Also the A/T light on the dash blinks intermittently, what does this mean and what should I do to resolve it? (automatic)

Stop car, put in neutral, then change to low range Paul from Australia

Submitted: 11/12/2012 12:15:41 | ID: 92962