HYUNDAI TERRACAN questions and answers

HYUNDAI Terracan

Ask and answer questions on a variety of HYUNDAI TERRACAN models. Help and advice on everything HYUNDAI TERRACAN. Feel free to ask and answer as many HYUNDAI-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest HYUNDAI TERRACAN questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

alan morrlle, Cheshire

Hyundai Terracan

My car goes into safe mode I have had new sensors to the camshaft and the air flow it's ok for about a week then goes into safe mode again help

Submitted: 23/08/2014 14:06:37 | ID: 101981

STEVEN, Wiltshire

Hyundai Terracan

Hi guys, A friend just bought a Terracan 2.9CRTD manual for me but the 4x4 isn't working. It drives fine in 2 wheel drive but when you switch it to 4x4L it drives fine until you stop, then when you pull away it revs but doesn't pull away, it kind of makes a tiny effort but there's nothing there... A mechanic friend thinks it could just be a hole in the pipe that ensures a vacuum to the diaphragm.. least I think that's what he said. Any ideas gratefully received, save up for the car and straight away its bust.

Submitted: 14/08/2014 09:13:07 | ID: 101457

chris meredith, Australia

Hyundai Terracan

I have a 2005 Terracan V6 auto petrol. When taking off slowly or reversing sometimes, intermittently, it feels like the car starts to shudder. Any idea why?

Submitted: 18/07/2014 06:43:37 | ID: 99905

Daniel, Netherlands

Hyundai Terracan

How do I clean the throttle body Hyundai Terracan 2.9? Does the 2.9 have spark plugs?

Submitted: 02/07/2014 23:26:52 | ID: 98876

mick, Australia

Hyundai Terracan

do terricans have electric brake harness at the back of the dash to suit a electric brake controller

Submitted: 22/06/2014 02:25:29 | ID: 98207

Herbert, Ghana

Hyundai Terracan

How many belts does one need on this vehicle. Auto 2.5 intercooler with air-con.

Submitted: 17/06/2014 18:31:28 | ID: 97912

Randall Sandy, Costa Rica

Hyundai Terracan

I have a 2007 Terracan 2.5 tdi, and when cold it does not spill oil by the oil measure pipe, but once it get hot start spilling oil drops out of it. Why is that? Is it normal?

engine internal parts expands when get hot, specially piston rings ang cylinder liners.... as it expand engine compression scape from cylinde to oil pan and carried out oil spill to the oil stick level measurement... elvin garonita from Philippines

Submitted: 12/06/2014 13:41:16 | ID: 97527

bushra, India

Hyundai Terracan

the timing belt has been broken and my car injectors are locked and they are not opening with sliding tool....my car is not starting tell me urgently...how to open injectors

Submitted: 07/06/2014 07:55:20 | ID: 97086

ross turner, Dorset

Hyundai Terracan

I have purchased this 05 terracan and it had some "missing " after invstigation we noticed it has had an extra fuel filter fitted could anyone tell me if this is a common fix for something.

Submitted: 05/06/2014 11:34:44 | ID: 96964

Barry, South Africa

Hyundai Terracan

Hi guys, my Terracan 2.9CRDI will not start. It cranks fine but will not start. There are now error messages on the diagnostics test. Tested the injectors and high pressure fuel pump and they are fine. The fuses and relays are fine. My question is this, can the crankshaft sensor and camshaft position sensor be the issue here and is there a way to test them? Thank you.

Hi Barry, if you have access to a diagnostic tool then check the following in live data, 1- RPM signal while cranking, should be over 200RPM. 2-fuel pressure, over 350Bar is ok. If the above checks out ok then spray some quickstart into the intake, if it starts then it is possibly your cam sensor. Regards Tariq Tariq from South Africa

Submitted: 29/05/2014 08:00:59 | ID: 96405

GUIGMA Charles, Burkina Faso

Hyundai Terracan

Charles, Please could someone advise me where to buy the Hyundai terracan 2002 electrical injectors. My mechanic said that i had injectors problem. Here its what happen when i'm turning the ignition on... the car will sound like i'm out of gaz. I will have to push the car down the road to get it start it... So i can't find the injectors locally in my area. Please help me.

Submitted: 26/05/2014 17:05:12 | ID: 96199

Irene Prowse, Bedfordshire

Hyundai Terracan

Do you have to clamp piston liners before turning the engine over?

Submitted: 24/05/2014 22:00:24 | ID: 96088

Andrew Laing, Bridgend

Hyundai Terracan

I would like to know what are the pins for on a fog light switch. Cheers

Submitted: 14/05/2014 12:23:16 | ID: 95503

Rune Viken, Norway

Hyundai Terracan

I have a Hyundai Terracan 2.9 diesel. When I start the engine it starts and operates as normal. If the car has been parked for 24 hours or so the engine still starts as normal but nothing happens. When I push the gas pedal for about 5 or 10 seconds. After this the engine operates as normal. It's just right after IT has been started if the car has been parked for a while. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Submitted: 04/05/2014 19:50:54 | ID: 95090

John Hinton, Hampshire

Hyundai Terracan

Heater stuck on hot no matter what I do, on, off, AC on, AC off, all positions, hot cold, auto, manual - any ideas?

Submitted: 25/04/2014 18:25:02 | ID: 94718

Mark Hawkins, Australia

Hyundai Terracan

I have a 2003 terracan, v6 petrol, my indicators started to flash fast and slow, and now they do not work at all, hazzards also do not work, and flashers do not flash when car is locked and unlocked. Any ideas what it could be. Thanks Mark

Submitted: 22/04/2014 08:21:41 | ID: 94543

john thompson, Australia

Hyundai Terracan

why do my 4wd high and low range lights come on and stop it going into 4wd. I have replaced the axle 4wd actuator and solenoid. is there a fuse or relay spmewhere causing the problem thanks johnt T

Submitted: 22/04/2014 06:51:53 | ID: 94539

Craig Lamshed, United Arab Emirates

Hyundai Terracan 2005

I have a Hyundai Terracan V6 and of late have been experiencing some issues regarding the transfer case/diffs. When driving it seems to do a change down which lurches the car forward, especially when stopping or slowing down. It`s escalated to the point where, when doing hard turns right or left, it shudders. The mechanic said it was locking the rear wheels and seemed to be coming from the transfer case locking up. So I disengaged the transfer case by removing the fuse and this effectively has allowed me to run the car as ’rear’ wheel drive. 1.) What are the effects of removing the fuse for the Transfer case? 2.) What else could be the cause of the issue? Thank you in advance for any assistance. (Petrol)

Submitted: 04/04/2014 09:45:32 | ID: 93808

Frank Roberts, England

Hyundai Terracan 2004

Can I take the box cover over the diesel tank of my Hyundai Terracan off? Will the diesel tank still be supported on its own? Many thanks.

Submitted: 03/04/2014 09:13:06 | ID: 93755

Nigel, New Zealand

Hyundai Terracan 2004

Hi there. The glow plug light on my Hyundai Terracan flashes continually at times after start up. It stops after a while but generally after that happens the battery dies and has to be jump-started. It will go just fine again for days/weeks then the same thing will happen. I have had the battery tested and they say it is fine. Any thoughts? Thanks so much.

Submitted: 20/03/2014 14:16:15 | ID: 63089

Tim Page, Surrey

Hyundai Terracan 2005

On checking fluid levels in my Hyundai Terracan before a journey I found there was engine oil in the coolant header tank - a layer on the coolant. There is no indication of coolant in the engine oil (ie a frothy emulsion). I spoke with my local Hyundia garage and they inidcated it could be due to either a faulty head gasket or due to a failed oil seal on the engine oil cooler. My local garage (all makes) have had a look/see around the engine area and are unable to find the location of an oil cooler. The question is, does the Terracan have an engine oil cooler and where is it located? The gearbox is manual - not automatic. Any knowledge on this problem? Thanks.

Submitted: 20/03/2014 12:11:32 | ID: 63026

Tony Kelsall, England

Hyundai Terracan 2004

Could anyone tell please advise me what does diagnostic report P1119 mean? I have a Hyundai Terracan 2004 2.9 diesel automatic. I am having difficulties getting it started but eventually it will start and it tends to smoke. I had a diagnostic report done on the car and it showed P1119. Does anyone know what P1119 means in term of repair? Some suggested I should fit a non return valve on the fuel pipe between the fuel pump and the last injector and that should solve the starting problem. As for smoking I have no idea. Any advice will be much appreciated.

I had this problem too. It was the injectors, so I took my Terracan for a refurb. What a difference! I also blanked the egr valve to stop the smoking. Paul Soper from Kent

Have you done a test on injectors as mine had that code and required the injectors to be refurbed. Paul Soper from England

Submitted: 28/02/2014 09:18:36 | ID: 60010

Sue Johnson, Costa Rica

Hyundai Terracan 2004

I have to have my Hyundai Terracan`s transmission fluid changed and I need to know what weight and how many quarts I need to do the job please? Thanks.

Submitted: 25/02/2014 15:19:08 | ID: 60718

John Watkins, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2006

My Hyundai Terracan will not start at first when the ignition is turned on, it just goes click, click and after several tries it then starts. I have replaced the relays in the fuse box and installed a new battery and I can’t find anything on the starter motor. I guess that`s the only thing left. Any ideas or advice please? (Terracan 4x4 diesel)

Had a similar event with my 2005 Terracan 2.9 TDI, was told to check the air lines to and from the fuel filter, replace the clips with worm drive clips for a better seal to prevent any air from being sucked in. Check and see if the lines are loose. Denis O’Brien from Australia

Submitted: 06/02/2014 12:16:28 | ID: 61777

Grant Myburgh, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2004

I have a Hyundai Terracan V6 3.5L and of late have been experiencing some issues regarding the transfer case/diffs. When driving it seems to do a change down which lurches the car forward, especially when stopping or slowing down. It`s escalated to the point where, when doing hard turns right or left, it shudders. The mechanic said it was locking the rear wheels and seemed to be coming from the transfer case locking up. So I disengaged the transfer case by removing the fuse and this effectively has allowed me to run the car as ’rear’ wheel drive. 1.) What are the effects of removing the fuse for the Transfer case? 2.) If I have checked and changed the transfer case, gearbox, front diff and rear diff oil, what else could be the cause of the issue? Thank you in advance for any assistance. (Highlander 3.5L V6)

Had the same problem that Hyundai could not resolve until the A/T light started flashing. They then placed on the diagnostic machine and it was a throttle sensor that needed to be replaced. Cost $250 for a $2 part but stopped all the luurching and shuddering at low speed turning. nev from Australia

Submitted: 30/01/2014 12:23:47 | ID: 61529

Jannie Nel, South Africa

Hyundai Terracan 2005

Where does the gearbox oil pump sit on the Hyundai Terracan 2.9 CRDI and is it possible to lose oil pressure? I have found the gearbox overheating in extreme temperatures.

Submitted: 21/01/2014 16:07:56 | ID: 89115

Juan Ortiz, Costa Rica

Hyundai Terracan 2005

I am the owner of a Hyundai Terracan automatic CRDI 2.9. It turns on low wheel drive and high wheel drive at the same time. Does anybody know why?

Submitted: 07/01/2014 10:51:54 | ID: 60340

Bob Stibbard, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2005

Hi, I am looking to buy a service manual for my Hyundai Terracan. I am new to this type of car and need all the help I can get. Can anyone help? Thanks. (awd auto diesel)

Hi, try -Hyundai-autoclub http://doc.hyundai-autoclub.ru/terracan/ it is in English! Use translate for the menu Tom from Australia

Hi try - Hyundai-autoclub doc.hyundai-autoclub.ru/terracan/ it is in english! use translate for the menu Tom from Australia

Submitted: 30/12/2013 14:21:56 | ID: 59762

Serigne Fall, Gambia

Hyundai Terracan 2002

My 02 Hyundai Terracan shows me ecu relay intermeten p1640. Can anyone help please?

Hi, p1640 refers to a problem with the PCM (powertrain control module) or related circuitry. Not the easiest to diagnose without a checking procedure. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 24/12/2013 10:25:12 | ID: 59616

Nathan Johnson, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2004

On my Hyundai Terracan`s instrument cluster I have lost my backing lights. Does anyone have any info on this problem? (petrol)

Submitted: 23/12/2013 10:43:47 | ID: 59598

Bob Stibbard, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2005

Hi, at low speed and turning a corner my Hyundai Terracan momentarily loses power. No dash lights come on and after pumping the throttle pedal a couple of times it starts going again as if nothing has happened. Any ideas? (auto diesel)

Submitted: 20/12/2013 12:42:04 | ID: 56093

Hugh Dunlop, Scotland

Hyundai Terracan 2003

Hi there. My Hyundai Terracan will not start without a sniff of easy start, it will then run fine but won’t start after, even when warm. I have fitted 2 cam sensors, changed crank sensor, fuel pump and primer and fitted a new battery. No codes are coming up and it ran fine for a week after I fitted the first cam sensor. Now I have run out of ideas. Can anyone help please? Any ideas are welcome.

I have the same problem but one technician told me that my Terracan is losing fuel pressure at fuel tank where the fuel pump sealer is placed. For me this is a convincing idea since the O ring around the fuel pump is damaged since I have more than twice changed the fuel pump because of the quality of the fuel available here. Hoshyar Hoshyar from Iraq

Submitted: 19/12/2013 14:17:05 | ID: 59510

Garry Felini, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2005

Where can I find the fuse for the 4WD on my Hyundai Terracan?

Submitted: 21/11/2013 12:20:12 | ID: 57203

Dee, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2005

I have a Hyundai Terrracan 05. My brakes are very hard and I don`t know what caused it to happen? Can anybody help?

Suggest you may have lost your vacuum since brake master cylinder requires a vacuum to assist brake effort Rob Ward from Australia

Submitted: 19/11/2013 11:12:09 | ID: 58036

Kelvin, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2006

I have a 2006 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 turbo diesel. When it warms up the engine light comes on and it loses power and cuts out. I can start it straight away and it will run for a minute but then cuts out again. I can leave it idling as long as it wants and it will not stall. I cleaned the tank, the lines and replaced the filter. I did 400kms on the highway and then it started to do the same thing again. Can someone help me please? (turbo diesel)

Try to clean the Mass Airflow Sensor with a contact cleaner, when it gets clogged up, it causes the car loss power. Hope it helps Ismail from Brunei Darussalam

Hi, I have worked out that it does it when under quarter of a tank and there is still diesel in it and after priming 3 to 4 times. It will not go anymore, but then when you fill it up it stops. Kelvin from Australia

Get an O ring that can fit to the screw thread of the hand primer before fixing the fuel filter. Hope it helps. Philip Agbeshie from Ghana

Submitted: 18/11/2013 14:11:36 | ID: 58032

Greg Webster, South Africa

Hyundai Terracan 2006

I am really interested in buying a 2.9 crdi Hyunda Terracan I have my eye on at the moment, It has 183,000 km on the clock with fsh and has been well looked after. Are there any things that I should look for that may cause future problems? I have driven the car and it goes very well, although the 4x4 low and 4x4 high lights on the dash were staying on for a while, but I played with the selector switch while stopped and they then went off. Does anyone think this may be a problem now or later? (2.9 crdi)

Submitted: 18/11/2013 10:58:42 | ID: 57995

Thorz Thor, Brunei Darussalam

Hyundai Terracan 2005

I have a problem with my Hyundai Terracan 2.5L auto. The problem is when the engine is cold, if I go shift gear R my car won’t move until the temperature is normal position?

Submitted: 07/11/2013 10:38:37 | ID: 57474

John Filon, Ecuador

Hyundai Terracan 2006

Is it necessary to remove the rear tyres to adjust the emergency brake on my Hyundai Terracan? About how long should the adjustment take?

Submitted: 04/11/2013 15:52:49 | ID: 57246

Bruce Lester, Australia

Hyundai Terracan 2002

I have a 2002 V6 Hyundai Terracan and, under load towing a caravan, the car seems to split overdrive when the load is too great on the vehicle, but as the load increases going up a hill it will change out of overdrive. Is this normal or is there a problem with the auto transmission? (3.5 litre V6)

Submitted: 29/10/2013 08:56:09 | ID: 56892

Amy Mba, England

Hyundai Terracan 2006

I bought my Hyundai Terracan from a company and parked it for 2 years or so. It was less than 50,000 km when I got it in August 2012. Between then and now I must have experienced clutch failure for more than seven times, the last one happened within one month of the previous. What could be responsible and how can I resolve this once and for all? (diesel engine, manual driven)

Submitted: 28/10/2013 14:42:42 | ID: 56762