FORD TRANSIT CONNECT questions and answers

FORD Transit Connect

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD TRANSIT CONNECT models. Help and advice on everything FORD TRANSIT CONNECT. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD TRANSIT CONNECT questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Jon Beardsley, Nottinghamshire

Ford Transit Connect 2003

Hi, I have a problem with the instrument cluster on my Ford Transit Connect. Randomly the i.c will stop functioning, apart from the back light flashing at about two flashes per second in unison with flashes. Is the sound of a relay clicking from behind the glove-box. Any ideas? Thanks.

Submitted: 31/03/2014 14:15:00 | ID: 93647

Jon Beardsley, Nottinghamshire

Ford Transit Connect 2003

I have recently bought a Transit Connect 03-plate, 154k mileage. Every alright except for the clocks randomly failing, at various times whilst driving, stationary and parked & locked the clock cluster back-light will flash about twice second and needles will freeze or not function at all. At the same time and in unison a relay clicking noise can be heard coming from behind the glove-box. It’s got me stumped!

Submitted: 26/03/2014 15:52:40 | ID: 93602

Paul Young, England

Ford Transit Connect 2003

Can anyone help with the settings for the timing belt on Ford Transit Connect 1.8 turbo diesel?

Submitted: 26/03/2014 14:28:42 | ID: 93990

Rob, England

Ford Transit Connect 2003

Hello, I bought a Ford Transit Connect and the radio won`t come on. Sometimes it will ask for a code, sometimes it seems dead. Now I have got a code but it is permanently dead so I can`t input it, although the red light is flashing when the ignition is off and the green light behind the starter switch comes on when the headlights are on. I am baffled to whether it is the radio itself or the wiring or fuse? Can anyone help? Thanks.

Submitted: 24/03/2014 09:39:27 | ID: 62945

Gail Perry, Cheshire

Ford Transit Connect 2008

I have had a valve replaced on my Ford Transit Connect. I am still hearing a loud rattle when the engine is cold and this goes on for about 10 minutes. The van has done 87,000 miles and had a new clutch and cambelt change before I had a problem with the valve. The van runs fine once it’s warmed up. Could I have a problem with my oil pump now?

Submitted: 21/03/2014 14:24:12 | ID: 63188

Archie Paterson, Scotland

Ford Transit Connect 2005

When I start my Ford Transit Connect van my battery light goes out for a second and then comes back on and stays on until I switch it off? Why does it do this?

I am told this is the diodes going in the alternator. Apparently it will run like this for a good while before failing. Also - when it does a garage with the right tools needs to do the job as there is a special tool required to replace the belt as it should be replaced at the same time (they'll just cut the old one off to save time). Dollar Bill from West Yorkshire

Submitted: 21/03/2014 12:01:41 | ID: 63173

Barbara Coleman, United States of America

Ford Transit Connect 2010

What needs to be done to repair the (passenger side) electric cargo door lock for my Ford Transit Connect that stops or intermittently works?

Submitted: 20/03/2014 14:22:34 | ID: 63092

Darren Smith, England

Ford Transit Connect 2005

Hi, my Ford Transit Connect van`s engine fan does not switch on. I have tested the fan and it works fine and all the fuses are okay. I changed the relays. The water in the water tank is cold. I think that`s the pump. Has anybody any idea?

Submitted: 20/03/2014 12:51:36 | ID: 63036

Mark Revill, England

Ford Transit Connect 2004

Hi. My Ford Transit Connect 1.8 tdci l230 d won`t start from cold. I have changed the glow plugs and the battery is okay. What could it be?

Submitted: 07/03/2014 10:08:55 | ID: 62649

Ibrahim, United States of America

Ford Transit Connect 2012

What should I do if my Ford Transit Connect`s windows are not going down please?

Submitted: 04/03/2014 14:04:45 | ID: 62532

Jason Parsons, England

Ford Transit Connect 2003

Hi there. I’ve got a 2003 Ford Transit Connect and the battery sometimes goes flat overnight. I’ve checked the alternator and that’s charging the battery okay and I’ve had the battery tested and that’s okay, but I’ve noticed the digital clock, mileage and trip mileage are staying on. Is this normal with the key removed from the ignition?

Submitted: 27/02/2014 10:12:58 | ID: 62377

Lee Cumpston, Caerphilly

Ford Transit Connect 2006

I have a 56 plate Ford Transit Connect and the fuel gauge, speedo, rev counter and interior light are not working. Does anybody know which fuse/fuses I need to change? Cheers.

Submitted: 27/02/2014 09:24:02 | ID: 62371

Sam Godfrey, England

Ford Transit Connect 2006

I have a Ford Transit Connect 2006 plate. The display dash flickers, no speedo reading, no fuel gauge reading, no rev counter reading and no temp gauge reading. The internal light flickers and relays behind the glove compartment clicks. Everything runs as normal when this happens. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Had the same problem, dash flickers, no gauges work. I took it to Ford, new speedo fitted and programmed into van memory costing £900. Ford recognised this fault on the Focus and will repair them cheap, but sorry not on the Connect. Peter Fotheringham from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 25/02/2014 08:56:06 | ID: 62069

Dale Boardman, England

Ford Transit Connect 2005

Hi, I have a Ford Transit Connect and in the mornings or if it`s been standing all day, when I come to start it up it starts first time but I hear a rattle. Smoke comes out of the exhaust for a few seconds and then clears and the rattle goes and then it`s fine and runs okay with no smoke at all. Does anyone know what causes this to happen? Thank you. (Transit Connect)

Submitted: 24/02/2014 12:03:52 | ID: 62314

Jamie Williams, Essex

Ford Transit Connect 2005

Hi. I have a Ford Transit Connect 54 plate and I drive it along for a while then the engine just dies. If I turn the engine off and on again it runs for a while longer then does the same again. Any ideas please? Thanks.

Submitted: 14/02/2014 16:05:11 | ID: 62120

Anthony Brown, Caerphilly

Ford Transit Connect 2010

Hi there, I have just bought a Ford Transit Connect t200 75 ps tdci 1.8. The van is a one owner full service vehicle and I`ve had it about a week now. On my way home from work warning lights came up on the dashboard saying esp malfunction and hill start not working, then about 20 minutes later all of the warning lights went off. Could this be a bad sensor? I`ve rung the dealer informing him of the problem but I would like to try and get some information on this. Can anybody help please?

Did you find a solution as I have the same problem? Cheers. Ashley Mount from England

Submitted: 06/02/2014 14:27:22 | ID: 61784

Charlie Syrett, Essex

Ford Transit Connect 2004

Hi. My Ford Transit Connect van has started to make a noise like a boiling kettle. The dipstick has a coating of oil on it but the oil light hasn`t come on. What could this be?

Submitted: 31/01/2014 11:42:48 | ID: 61566

Gareth Harries, Sussex

Ford Transit Connect 2007

I am getting a constant whining noise from the engine of my Ford Transit Connect in all gears at high or low speed. The noise continues when stopped with the engine running and out of gear. What could this be?

Hey buddy. I had the same problem on my 07 Connect, it’s the bearing on your alternator I would think. The alternator is under the driver’s wheel. Remove wheel, slip off belt and spin the alternator and you will hear the bearing. Liam Carmody from Ireland

Submitted: 28/01/2014 12:49:25 | ID: 61384

James, England

Ford Transit Connect 2004

I am buying a Ford Transit Connect which looks good but the heater inside does not work. It has no power at all. Does anybody know what could be wrong and how to fix it? Thanks.

I had the same problem, but mine only worked on number 4. It’s the resister, I changed mine and it works spot on. You can get them off eBay for about £7, if you look in the passenger footwell in the back and remove the carpet you will see a cable and the resister is held in place by one screw. Just undo the screw and it pops out, put new one in and the cable on and job done, takes 5 mins. Darren Lawrence from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 28/01/2014 12:01:41 | ID: 57223

James Holt, Yorkshire

Ford Transit Connect 2011

Six months ago, the fault light (amber) came on in my Ford and the text advised that I should take my van to a Ford agent asap. My mechanic plugged into the diagnostics and it advised that it was a problem with the foot pedal switch. When I arrived at the Ford agent they said that there was no recorded fault on the van (cannot be the case as it had registered and had been investigated but not cancelled by my mechanic). A month or so later when the cold weather came, the Low Temperature Warning Light and visual words would come on and immediately cancel itself - normally this would stay on until manually cancelled by me (the driver) or the temperature went above 4 deg C. Again the Ford agent advised that they could not find a problem. Just today, the washer fluid reservoir went empty without the warning alarm coming on. I am again going to visit my local Ford agent, but as you may have guessed, I have little faith in their technical ability or Ford`s willingness to fix faults whilst the van is still under warranty. Any ideas? Thank you for your help.

Submitted: 27/01/2014 11:48:44 | ID: 61356

Peter Warren, England

Ford Transit Connect 2004

My Ford Transits clocks will not shut down at night and drain the battery in the morning. When running the abs light and another light stays on. I tried reprogramming, but that will not work. Does anyone know what I can do?

Had the same problem with my Connect. It was the alternator that was draining the battery. Danny Sharkey from Ireland

Submitted: 21/01/2014 11:13:39 | ID: 89104

Martin Dymond, England

Ford Transit Connect 2002

I was driving along in my Ford Transit Connect and the heater plug light came on and the engine died. I had to turn the ignition off and then on again in order to bump it and now it won`t start. I put a new fuel filter in and heater plugs. I had it on diagnostics and it came up with low fuel pressure. I`m absolutely gutted. It`s the most I`ve paid out for a van only to see it on my drive taxed, mot and insured and going absolutely nowhere. Can anyone shine any light on this please? I`d really appreciate it. (1.8 tdi)

Fuel pump needs changing, just had the same with mine. Tried every thing else. You’ll find it’s the pump over or under pressure, that shuts the injectors down. Del from Devon

Submitted: 16/01/2014 14:42:13 | ID: 59664

Michael Horan, Ireland

Ford Transit Connect 2006

I have an 06 Ford Transit Connect tdi. It has had a recon injector pump fitted, injectors checked and the timing is perfect, but when the van is ticking over it revs too low and runs lumpy. When the accelerator is pressed slightly the van runs perfectly and is driving perfectly as well. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Submitted: 13/01/2014 11:34:29 | ID: 60652

Jason Thomas, England

Ford Transit Connect 2004

I have just bought a Ford Transit Connect 220 L 1.8 TDI but he said thrush bearing needs replacing. When I start it in the morning I get a funny tapping noise but this disappears when warmed up. The clutch feels a bit strange in first gear and sometimes changing into second it makes a clonk sound. Does anybody have any ideas and know the cost of thrush bearing to be fitted please? Please help, thanks. (220L)

Hi, this sounds like your thrush bearing inside your gearbox that connects with your clutch pressure plate, the most common problem with these vans. The tapping noise you have I also had the same problem on the same van and all I did was gave it a good engine flush and changed the engine oil and oil filter. If this does not solve your issue then you may have a problem with one or two of your hydraulic tappets. The clonk noise you have when changing in to second gear will be your bottom gearbox mount, also a most common problem with the Transit Connect van. Hope this helps you with your trouble. Regards. Wayne Hudson from Northamptonshire

Submitted: 10/01/2014 09:13:27 | ID: 60516

Belinda, United States of America

Ford Transit Connect 2012

Does anyone else have problems with the tyres on their Ford Transit Connect? We have only had our 2013 for a year now, it has 25,000 miles on it and we`ve spent $100 on flats. It is only driven on the pavement. We are now having to buy new tyres and the ones on the van are seperating. I`m wondering if anyone else has problems, or if we just got a bad set on the van when we bought it? The dealer for the tyres always says we did something wrong to the tyres so that they are not under warranty. Any suggestions?

Submitted: 09/01/2014 15:13:29 | ID: 60507

Dave Kinnen, Lancashire

Ford Transit Connect 2008

My Ford Transit Connect`s interior lights don’t go off at all. I`ve tried locking it all ways but it’s got me puzzled. Any ideas? Thanks.

Mine had a similar problem once (04 plate) - disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes and reconnected it again - solved the problem and it hasn’t happened again since Dave from England

Submitted: 07/01/2014 10:37:35 | ID: 60361

Mick Turner, England

Ford Transit Connect 2004

My Ford Transit Connect I’ve just bought has dash problems, no rev counter, speedo, oil or fuel and no rear lights. Could you help? (Lab)

Submitted: 06/01/2014 10:55:35 | ID: 60295

Richard Dunn, Sussex

Ford Transit Connect 2007

Hi, the air blower on my Ford Transit Connect only works in the footwell on all options. I can`t get air from the dash or window screen vents. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 02/01/2014 09:56:56 | ID: 58804

Peter Stevens, Powys

Ford Transit Connect 2004

My Ford Transit Connect’s intermittent wipers’ interior light does not work when the door is opened. The lights on warning does not sound if the door is opened. Any ideas?

Hi, most likely a drivers door latch fault which incorporates the door ’open’ switch, also could be broken wires or bad connection where the wires go from the a pillar to the door. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 30/12/2013 12:27:24 | ID: 91112

Phil Ritchie, Cheshire

Ford Transit Connect 1993

Hi, I have a 53 plate Ford Transit Connect T200 TDDI SWB 1.8 diesel. I had my first problem a month ago, just a click when I tried to start the van but after 3 attempts it started. I do have to charge the battery after it standing for a week or so, but battery replaced, same problem. Yesterday I did a couple of short trips, tried to start and got a click. It sounded like the starter motor wasn`t working. I pushed the van to get it going, got home and switched off, tried to restart it and got the loud click noise. I took off the starter, looked okay, squirted some wd40 on to bendix and refitted, but still the click on trying to start. After numerous attempts to start I checked/wiggled battery terminals and tried again - now I have no ignition lights, no wipers/indicators or headlamps working but side lights and hazards are okay. There is a flashing red light (led) on the dash which I assume is the immobiliser? I have replaced the corroded battery terminal but still have no power at the ignition switch or ignition lights. Any suggestions please?

Submitted: 10/12/2013 15:33:13 | ID: 59070

David Urquhart, Dumbartonshire

Ford Transit Connect 2005

My Ford Transit Connect`s blower heater cuts out but comes back on to then cut out again and there`s an electrical burning smell when it blows. What should I do?

Submitted: 05/12/2013 10:39:26 | ID: 57067

Simon Wright, Dorset

Ford Transit Connect 2005

Hi. I have a Ford Transit Connect 2005. A few days ago the heater temperature control knob became very stiff to turn up. This morning it suddenly turned very easily - no resistance at all. Now the heater only blows out cold air and I can’t turn it to hot at all - the knob just turns but nothing’s happening behind it. What has happened please? Also, I’m assuming that I’m going to have to take the centre console off to fix the problem - can you instruct me on how to do so? Thanks in advance for any help. (LWB)

Submitted: 26/11/2013 14:22:20 | ID: 58193

Daniel Davies, England

Ford Transit Connect 2004

Hi. I`ve got a Ford Transit Connect 1.8 diesel 04. In the morning I put the key in and turn it over then it keeps turning over. I do that for a couple of times and then it starts. Why is this? Thanks.

Could be glow plugs Steve from England

Submitted: 22/11/2013 11:59:32 | ID: 58501

Ron Crighton, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Ford Transit Connect 2003

I have a Ford Transit Connect 1.8 t200 tddi 2003 swb model. Does this model have a dual mass flywheel? (t200 tddi)

Submitted: 19/11/2013 11:59:08 | ID: 58044

Darren Wiper, Yorkshire

Ford Transit Connect 2008

Will a 2004 Ford Transit Connect front panel fit a 2008 Ford Transit Connect?

Submitted: 18/11/2013 16:07:49 | ID: 57977

James Fielding, Surrey

Ford Transit Connect 2006

I have a Ford Transit Connect Aug 2006 Registration Model L230 D 1753 cc. It’s done 49,000 miles. When do I need to change the timing belt? Thanks. (Transit Connect L230 D 1800 cc)

150,000 miles or 10 yrs Paul J from Essex

Submitted: 04/11/2013 14:14:59 | ID: 57291

Philip Owen, Warwickshire

Ford Transit Connect 2003

I have a 2003 tdci lwb Ford Transit Connect. I was driving on the motorway and then the speed just dropped. Now it will start but will not accelerate at all. The RAC told me that it would be the accelerator pedal but this has been changed and it`s still the same. Can anyone help? (tdci)

Just had to fit new throttle peddle on my van was doing the same thing, you can grease and clean contacts, but it is better to change it Graham Tench from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 01/11/2013 12:42:37 | ID: 57088

Stuart Brock, England

Ford Transit Connect

Every time I fill up my Ford Transit Connect with diesel, no matter how much fuel I have, the pump will click as soon as it starts filling. It will overspill if you keep trying. The fuel seems to sit at the top of the filling pipe and will start bubbling up and overflowing, then disappear back down the pipe. Any ideas? (T220L)

I had the same problem with mine and at just 3 weeks old, it was very annoying. Some fancy thing Ford have fitted, not sure what for mind you! I have found that if you put the fuel nozzle in at a very low angle it does actually fill - look on the inside of the flap and there is a picture! Hope this helps. Alan Bartlett from Nottinghamshire

There is an evap canister attached to the fuel tank, the pull hose off and if the tank fills ok then the evap tank needs to be replaced. Glen Wray from Canada

Submitted: 28/10/2013 10:07:11 | ID: 66626

Shane Taylor, Derbyshire

Ford Transit Connect 2007

Hi there. I`ve recently bought a 2007 Ford Transit Connect 230 lwb 110. The guy who I bought it off put a 59 reg engine but I`m having problems. The van doesn’t seem to be pulling 110 bhp and it`s very sluggish in every gear. I`m basically struggling and having to drop my gears down so the engine can handle the speed I`m doing. I`ve recently changed the mass air flow meter but this doesn’t seem to have made much difference and there is no kick, specially on the motorway. Does anyone have any idea what the reason for this could be?

Submitted: 22/10/2013 16:39:08 | ID: 56624

Hobbo, Denbighshire

Ford Transit Connect 2003

My Ford Transit Connect is 1.8 turbo diesel. I want to put oil in it but not sure which one to use?

5w30 part symthetic Paul J from Essex