FORD TRANSIT questions and answers: Page 5

FORD Transit

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD TRANSIT models. Help and advice on everything FORD TRANSIT. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD TRANSIT questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Steve Bevan, Neath Port Talbot

Ford Transit 2001

steve bevan from Neath Port Talbot has sent in a question on the Ford Transit. I am replacing the passenger side rear bulb holder on my 2001 Ford Transit panel van because of corrosion of the circuit board. However, the connector block that supplies the power to the lights is also the same as the new holder. I want to replace that connector but have no idea what it`s called or where I can get one. Can anyone help? (panel van)

Submitted: 20/11/2012 08:39:06 | ID: 55301

Nigel Carey, Cambridgeshire

Ford Transit 2005

Why does my Ford Transit 2005 2.4 diesel only start on the third or fourth time if it is left for a few hours/overnight? The glow plug light flashes when cranking over. Last year I replaced the fuel pump/fuel lines/leak off pipes/filter housing/battery/glow plugs/crank sensor/cylinder head temperature sensor/starter motor/ timing chain and tensioners. The van has done 170,000 miles. Garages can`t seem to agree, even with diagnostic scans. Also the van is noisy when first started, like an old diesel, but runs quietly when warm. Any ideas please? (2.4 diesel)

Timing chain tensioner is knackered and is relaxing when the van is left which in turn is altering pump timing when trying to start until oil pressure rises and refills chain tensioner taking up any slack in the chain Colin from England

Submitted: 05/11/2012 09:03:25 | ID: 65259

David Bell, England

Ford Transit 2002

My Ford Transit van has lost power and is getting hard to start. There is a little bit of black smoke from the exhaust but not excessive. What should I do? (100 t280 2ltr duratorq)

That sounds like blown turbo but I’m no expert Steve from Neath Port Talbot

Egr knackered Colin from England

Try checking for split vacuum pipes first as this will make it blow black smoke bad and lose power Wayne MCC from Merthyr Tydfil

Submitted: 01/11/2012 12:44:50 | ID: 89428

Anthony Cameron, Dorset

Ford Transit 1995

How do I remove the heater/fan control on the dashboard of my Ford Transit in order to replace the night illumination lights, as it appears the lights have blown? Thank you. (80 SWB)

Submitted: 30/10/2012 16:33:51 | ID: 89279

Ray, Kent

Ford Transit 2004

My Ford Transit van suddenly stops. It can start but cuts out when revved. It runs okay then suddenly cuts out again. I`ve checked all fuses, fuel - is there a diagnostic plug in on these vehicles? Thanks. (2.0 litre turbo diesel)

Submitted: 30/10/2012 12:57:47 | ID: 89183

Stephen Kelly, Cheshire

Ford Transit 2007

Hi. I`m fitting a fan belt on my Ford Transit T280 57 reg and wanted to know does anyone know how to do it? I`ve got the old one off but can`t seem to get the new one to go on. Can anyone help?

Hi. To the bottom left of where your belt goes there is a pulley that is the tensioner, it’s the one without the grooves, you need a socket and ratchet. Turn either way to take slack up or release Steve Deam from England

Submitted: 26/10/2012 12:01:11 | ID: 66845

Mark Reid, England

Ford Transit 2004

My Ford Transit has a sudden loss of power and the engine`s noisier. It will run fine up to 3000 rpm but will not accelerate above that. The engine is a 2.4 duratorq 125 ps tdi ht lwb. Does anyone know what`s wrong?

Hi. Mine has the same trouble. Just been to electro diesel. It’s very bad news. It is the diesel injection pump or should I say the solonoid. I had a long talk with the main man there and I have also had a diagnostic done. The faults will be the same as mine - "ignition timing fault injection control module requesting under fuelling" you can take it to Ford who have the kits for the solonoid repair and they will do it in situe but if your vehicle has never had a new injection pump and has done more than 120,000 then it is wiser to buy a new/refurb pump. A new pump will set you back £1300 but you will get £300 back on your old one or you can go online and get a refurb for around a grand but again you will get £300 back for your old one. I would advise you to replace the pump rather than having the kit if you want to be sure you have no more problems! The labour to fit differs as to where you go i.e. Ford charge £75 an hour and most reputable garages charge £50. It should be no more than £480 (a bit cheaper say 400 if they don’t have to cut the pipes off) for labour. I’m gutted too! Mike Corcoran from Dorset

Split turbo hose, it’s a comon fault Rob Steven from Essex

Just fit a new timing solenoid about 120 quid they are and from a reputable garage about 100 quid to fit done loads of them Colin from England

I have the same symptoms as above. Only thing is I had a brand new pump fitted in late 2011! Tension chain and all the trimmings. Can’t believe it’s gone again, I’ve only done 18k since. Bobby Howard from Dorset since

Submitted: 23/10/2012 08:25:17 | ID: 66336

Jules St Clair, England

Ford Transit 2003

My diesel pump went on my Ford Transit. I got a second replacement which was put on and programmed but I cannot get it to work. Could anyone tell me why and what I need to do?

Tow it for a bit with all the injectors open then shut them all and it should start Norman Hughson from Hebrides

Submitted: 22/10/2012 11:03:53 | ID: 66217

Paul, England

Ford Transit 2005

My Ford Transit 2005 on 55 plate all of a sudden lost power when driving drown the road. No lights came on the dash, then the power comes back again for a while, then it loses power again. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Submitted: 22/10/2012 11:01:15 | ID: 66216

Martin, Essex

Ford Transit 2001

Does anyone have any info on a Ford Transit 2.0, 2.2 Duratorq Diesel Fuel Pump Timing Solenoid please, regarding the removal and purchase in Essex?

Starter motor out and remove bracket that holds pump to block. The timing valve is at the bottom rear of pump. Cut wires and replace, reassemble. I did mine in about 2.5 hours. I went to 3 Ford dealers and 3 out of 3 said I need to change full pump. Parts fitters only I see. Just be sure it runs ok but sounds like timing is too far advanced Kevin Weldon from Yorkshire

Submitted: 22/10/2012 08:44:20 | ID: 65204

Peter Curran, Northern Ireland

Ford Transit 2001

When my Ford Transit 2001 330 rwd is sitting idling the mileage indicator keeps on clocking miles, even though I am not moving and the needle idles up and down on the speed gauge. There is no rev counter on this van. Has anybody seen this happening before or know how to fix it? I changed the speedometer and it`s still doing it. (330 swb)

Submitted: 18/10/2012 10:37:12 | ID: 64706

Norm Lawson, Australia

Ford Transit 2002

My Ford Transit has got a coolant leak which sprays up on the right side in the thermostat coolant hose area. It appears to be from under the plastic cover on the front of the the engine. Is there anything under there which is coolant related? Recently I had the head re surfaced and a new head gasket fitted. It runs fine, it`s just using coolant. Can anyone advise? (2.3 efi)

Sounds like it’s the small by pass hose under the plastic cover. This will only leak when you rev the engine. Easy fix though Terry Banks from Berkshire

Had same problem. Was water pump, about $150 Nick from Australia

Submitted: 15/10/2012 15:32:38 | ID: 88629

Kevin Langley, London

Ford Transit 1984

Can anybody tell me why, when the weather is very cold, I can’t get my Ford Transit van into gear? I had a new selector box two years ago and it’s reasonably okay when the weather is good but not when the weather is cold. Many Thanks. (SWB 2.0litre)

Hi, sounds like you need to bleed the clutch. It’s on the left side of the gearbox Craig from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 15/10/2012 14:42:17 | ID: 64076

Paul Tomney, Ireland

Ford Transit 2008

Hi. My Ford Transit t280 makes a strange noise when I press my foot on the clutch. It’s more noticeable when I drop down from 3rd to 2nd or if I’m stopped and I put it into reverse, it’s more of a whining noise. The mechanic thinks it`s a release bearing but is not 100% sure. Any ideas? Cheers.

Hi there I recently bought my second Ford Transit, it’s a mk7 2012. Had it 3 weeks, done 11,000km and same thing when clutching get this horrid like metal on metal dlllrrrrrrr noise and if sitting in neutral and rev upto say 2500 rpm and put clutch in same noise rings out. Now I haven’t got to the bottom of it yet but I know Toyota Hiaces do the same and on them its because the fingers on the pressure plate have bent causing the release bearing to skim the affected area. Now at the start it’s no emergency but left unfixed can wear through the fingers till they snap and that causes a few bad moments... Easy way to tell us to check fingers if it’s been happening there will be uneven wear on the affected area like a deeper grove from were the release bearing has retained contact over time not sure if this is the Trans-shits problem but is very similar in feel between the two Ethan French from New Zealand

You need a new thrust bearing/throwout bearing- Daza from Australia Anonymous from

The grinding rattling noise is the dualmass flywheel, expensive to replace and the metal and dust floating around in the bell housing will knacker your starter eventually. You can get a conversion kit to change to a solid flywheel. Some people will tell you a solid flywheel will cause extra eest on other components but its total crap... Jason from Ireland

Submitted: 15/10/2012 14:11:41 | ID: 63727

Jonathan Williams, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Ford Transit 2006

Hi. I have a 2006 Ford Transit fwd 85 t280, it won`t start when parked uphill but if revved it will start. I`ve just had a new battery, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, oil change and new fuel line that leads to the top of the injectors in the last week and a new EGR valve last year. Has anyone had the same problem, if so please help? Thanks.

Submitted: 12/10/2012 16:33:11 | ID: 89959

David Walton, England

Ford Transit 2006

Just bought a Ford Transit Jumbo and when changing gears it makes a whooshing sound. Is this due to the vacuum pump and why is this happening? Doesn’t seem to be any umph going through gear change.

Submitted: 10/10/2012 11:51:58 | ID: 92739

John McLaughlin, County Down

Ford Transit 2001

What would cause my Ford Transit to vibrate when I am lifting off in first gear. I had the clutch and flywheel replaced last year?

Did you change the spigot bearing? Paul from Durham

See if it does it in reverse as well, if so the most likely cause is oil contaminated clutch plate /rear main seal or gearbox input shaft seal Daza from Australia

Submitted: 10/10/2012 09:27:29 | ID: 85174

Ollie, Ireland

Ford Transit 2007

I have a 2007 Ford Transit T350 that turns over at least four times before it will start. Any ideas what could be wrong? (T350)

We just had the timing chain changed on ours for the same problem Tim from England

Submitted: 04/10/2012 11:08:55 | ID: 52800

David Beal, Essex

My Ford Transit van keeps running when I turn it off and take the key out. I then have to stall it to stop it running and I am wondering if that will also damage the engine etc. What should I do please? Thank you.

Sounds like your injectors are knackered! Overun like this is normally caused by injectors still letting fuel though after ignition is switched off Ash from England

Submitted: 04/10/2012 11:06:58 | ID: 89936

Stephen Moore, Essex

Ford Transit 2007

I have a 2007 fwd Ford Transit and I have just started to notice some excessive road noise from the front wheels. I have had some tie bars to the anti rollbar changed but it still does not sound right on the road. The van has done 61,000 miles. Any thoughts please? (fwd t 300 Lwb)

Had same noise problem, fixed by changing wheel bearings Rod Cameron from Australia

I had the same noise, had the front wheel bearings replaced and now all is quiet Neil Larter from England

Submitted: 01/10/2012 09:33:47 | ID: 81232

Steve Roe, England

Ford Transit 2006

What speed should this model Ford Transit be doing at 3000rpm in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears? The gear box has just been changed (no other work was done) and the MPG over 1000mls has gone from 20mpg down to 13mpg! Ford themselves have been unable to answer this. Does anyone know the answer? (350 LWB 2402 CC)

Submitted: 24/09/2012 11:33:46 | ID: 79571

Ron Fairbank, Australia

Ford Transit 1996

Hi. I`m having trouble with a 1996 Ford Transit I bought it recently. It starts to shudder at 96 kph. I took it to the mechanic who said crook turbo, as even in park as soon as it reaches about 2500 rpm this shudder starts. I had a new turbo fitted and a new fuel pump fitted. It is a 2.5 litre turbo diesel and I`ve been advised to unblock the erg valve? Also I noticed as the turbo hoses were removed the butterfly on turbo output to intake manifold is set wide open? This is controlled by a vacuum actuator and fluctuates at idle. Can anyone help? It would be much appreciated, Cheers. (camper van)

Submitted: 24/09/2012 11:26:09 | ID: 86384

Mike Snow, England

Ford Transit 2002

How do I adjust the gear rods on a front wheel drive Ford Transit? It crunches when it goes into 2nd and reverse.

Ye cannae adjust them syncromesh in box gone but try changing the rods Ste MacDuff from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 21/09/2012 13:38:32 | ID: 70052

Nigel, England

Ford Transit 1998

I’ve just noticed that my Ford Transit has no anti roll bars. What problems would this cause? (Smiley)

Submitted: 21/09/2012 08:23:54 | ID: 86219

Frazer Richardson, Devon

Ford Transit 2007

My Ford Transit van won`t go above 70mph in fifth gear (revs around 2.5 at this speed) but revs fine through all the other gears. Why is this and is it a cheap fix? (85t 280)

It’s got a speed limiter on it, cuts in at 70 mph Regi from England

Where is the speed limiter located and how will I remove it? Nick from Ireland

Hi, I had mine done, it’s on the ecu, you need a auto electriction to remove it with their computer; cost me 40 pound Lee Johnson from England

Submitted: 20/09/2012 12:49:12 | ID: 86109

Mick O’Shea, Ireland

Ford Transit 2002

When I start the engine of my Ford Transit there’s a rattling sound coming from it. Also the speedometer goes crazy going back and forwards. I`ve just put new brakes in the van today. Can anyone suggest what the problem is?

Submitted: 20/09/2012 12:35:11 | ID: 86108

David Jolly, Devon

Ford Transit 2000

My Ford Transit was driving well with a slight diesel leak. I think it may be the seals on the pump. I stopped to buy a drink and ten minutes later it would not start. Can anyone help?

Diesels leaked out the pump directly onto the starter motor and knackered it (common problem) Colin from England

Submitted: 20/09/2012 12:16:56 | ID: 86117

Robert Hudson, Lancashire

Ford Transit 2003

Is there a service warning light on the Ford Transit t260? (Transit t260)

Yes, there is a yellow light on your dash which will light up in the shape of a spanner, you can get it to go out by pressing down on the brake. Press down the brake and hold it down, then turn on the ignition whilst still holding down the brake and after 15 seconds the light should go out, but I do strongly recommend you get it serviced as I didn’t and it ended up costing me over £3,000! Ouch Alan Sheehan from England

Submitted: 18/09/2012 15:48:14 | ID: 82216

Bill, Australia

Ford Transit 2003

My Ford Transit`s transmission operates erratically after about an hour of highway driving and locks into fifth gear. After stopping the engine and restarting it will drive again but not for long and then the same happens. There is a shuddering and a noise when it starts to do it. It is okay when cold. It has 153,000 kms on an analogue odometer. Any suggestions? (90 T350 AMS Transmission)

Submitted: 18/09/2012 09:19:18 | ID: 84956

Sam Fry, Lanarkshire

Ford Transit 2001

The brake servo pump failed on my Ford Transit which overheated and melted the vacuum pipe which supplies the brake servo unit. After replacing the vacuum pump and pipe we had the engine turning over for about 15 minutes. The vacuum was overheating and melted the supply pipe to the servo unit! We removed the vacuum pipe and found the outlet on the water pump was blocked with something hard. I’ve tried to hammer it out but it needs a bit more persuasion. This blockage is preventing oil from passing through and I think we may have to replace the water pump. I’ve no idea why this obstruction may have occurred. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Submitted: 14/09/2012 10:49:51 | ID: 84884

Michael, Australia

Ford Transit 2005

My Ford Transit`s diesel engine starts but only runs for 5 seconds, hot or cold. Could this have something to do with the pats system?

Submitted: 13/09/2012 16:42:08 | ID: 73250

John Black, Scotland

Ford Transit 2006

My Ford Transit` s engine is hunting on idle. Any ideas?(2.4 diesel)

Submitted: 13/09/2012 15:32:11 | ID: 73688

Brian, England

Ford Transit 2005

Hi. I have a Ford Transit 2.0 dura torg and when the van is running it runs a 100 percent, but once I stop the van it won`t start unless I use an easy start. Then it will start straight away and run perfectly and the fuel filter is only half full of fuel when it is stopped. Any ideas anyone?

It’s your fuel filter housing 100% Mike from Denbighshire

Submitted: 13/09/2012 10:43:46 | ID: 73702

Paul Hooton, England

Ford Transit 2004

Why are my Ford Transit`s service and coil light flashing when my van is running and non of the speedo/rev counter/ fuel or temperature gauges are working?

Submitted: 11/09/2012 12:09:59 | ID: 71545

Paul Lingard, England

Ford Transit 2006

Just on the way home and a mile from home I heard a rattling noise which was coming from my Ford Transit van. I got home then noticed the back doors were covered in oil specs and at the front underneath of the engine was covered in oil but I cannot see where it has come from. Doesn’t look too good but I have no idea. Any suggestions? (Ford Transit new generation)

Check turbo pipe, mine in getting fixed now Mike Thompson from County Antrim

Submitted: 10/09/2012 15:43:12 | ID: 71486

Nick Allcock, Hertfordshire

Ford Transit 2003

My 03 Ford Transit 260t swb has it`s oil light staying on even though it doesn’t need oil. Is this a message that something is up with the engine or does it mean that a sensor is failing? The light goes off when it’s being driven and comes back on when ticking over. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 10/09/2012 12:46:08 | ID: 88610

Mario, County Londonderry

Ford Transit 2003

Hi. I have a Ford Transit 03. Today I did about 200 miles trip , everything was okay until I turned off the engine(duratorq di ). Now I can`t start it and when I keep turning the engine it`s shaking. Has anybody had this problem before please? Also I find that there is very low engine oil which may have something to do with it? Cheers. (90 T350)

Same thing happened with me, it was the fuel pump Garry Scott from Durham

Submitted: 07/09/2012 09:20:47 | ID: 69841

Amjad, England

Ford Transit 2004

Currently my Ford Transit is giving me 390 miles per tank. Yes I carry over 1000kg every day but so do the people that work with me using Sprinters who get 450+ miles. I was wondering why this is? The second thing is the level of torque. Once loaded it takes off like a snail and it just about gets to 50mph and stays there. The only parts that have been changed on the van since I’ve had it are the clutch, bushes and the prop shaft recently (issues existed before prop shaft change as well). I used to get 420 - 430 miles before the clutch change but even then I`ve been told that`s no good for a Transit. Is anyone able to help? (2.4 duratorq di lwb - rwd)

<span style="font-size: 10.0pt; color: windowtext;">I had this problem with my 07 Transit. I got it re-mapped and now it does around 400 mile per tank. I got an extra 16ft of pulling power but I have now got 147 bh Alan Sheehan from England</span>

Submitted: 06/09/2012 12:37:14 | ID: 88477

Darren, France

Ford Transit 1998

Hi. I have an LDV with a 2.5TD Ford motor. When I turn the ignition off it won’t stop, when I return the key to the start position the motor stops. The engine light also stays on and the motor seems to be in limp mode. Does anybody know what is wrong?

Submitted: 04/09/2012 12:36:55 | ID: 88131

Chris Benn, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 2007

I have had the offside rear bulb out of my Ford Transit and the offside front side replaced but they are still not working. Where is the fuse located please?

The fuse board you need to get to in located behind the one behind the glovebox. The front one drops down and then you will see the second fuse board behind. Good luck Alan Sheehan from England

Submitted: 03/09/2012 09:58:43 | ID: 87630