FORD TRANSIT questions and answers: Page 5

FORD Transit

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD TRANSIT models. Help and advice on everything FORD TRANSIT. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD TRANSIT questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Sharon Smith, England

Ford Transit 2005

My Ford Transit van started fine, I went up the road and it cut out on me. I tried a few times to start it but nothing, then it started. Does anyone know what it couid be as it`s never done this before? Many thanks.

Submitted: 07/01/2014 10:12:38 | ID: 60368

Kevin Linehan, Essex

Ford Transit 2008

What gearbox oil does a Ford Transit mk 7 2008 use please? (Mk 7)

EP75W90 Semi synthetic. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 31/12/2013 14:23:22 | ID: 59789

Tan Shah, London

Ford Transit 2005

I have had issues with my Ford Transit for the last couple of months. About 2 months ago I changed the gearbox and from that time I`ve had a problem with it losing power. If my van is loaded and goes uphill it loses power, if on 60 mps it drops to 35-40mps, then I need to change gear on 3rd. When I drive on the normal road it picks up power again. Is there anybody who can tell me what the problem is? (lwb 120 ps)

Submitted: 30/12/2013 11:09:51 | ID: 58855

Matty Stead, England

Ford Transit 2002

Hi, I`m hoping someone can shed some light on this. I have a 2002 Ford Transit lwb, 90psi van. I`ll be driving it and suddenly you can feel it slump in speed. I flick the ignition key and it flies nicely again. Sometimes this happens quite often during a drive, sometimes it`s gone all nightshift without doing it once. There are no tell tale signs of anything going in the engine and I`ve had it checked out by several mechanics who seem to stand there, scratching their heads! It basically feels like it`s going into limp mode but there isn`t a warning light flashing!! Please help as it`s a good van other then this annoying problem?

I had the same prob in mine. Try disconnecting the vacuum hoses off the EGR valve and plugging it aswell as the similar valve next to it that blocks off your intake. Regan from New Zealand

Submitted: 20/12/2013 10:47:38 | ID: 59539

Steve Kelly, Cheshire

Ford Transit 1989

I have a Ford Transit 100. What is the measure for automatic transmission fluid In a C3 automatic transmission? (Automatic)

Submitted: 10/12/2013 09:46:00 | ID: 56403

Steve Rouhan, Essex

Ford Transit 2006

Hi, I have an 06 Ford Transit lwb 90 350 h top and my fan does not work in any position. I’ve looked at fuses and they look okay. Is it the heater fan switch?

Submitted: 26/11/2013 11:51:16 | ID: 58637

Alan Lewis, England

Ford Transit 2001

Hi. My Ford Transit died on me on the way to work so I got it recovered to a garage who told me the air filter has got wet, broken up and gone into the engine. They stripped down the turbo and inlet manifold and outlet and got most of it out but now it won’t start on the key. It will start on a tow but won’t rev up. They say bits are trapped in the engine and they cannot do anymore, so it`s been recovered to another garage who say it`s an electric problem, it`s my fuel pump. Would it start at all if the pump was gone or are they trying to pull a fast one? Has anyone had this problem?

Submitted: 21/11/2013 10:58:16 | ID: 58112

Barry Powell, Devon

Ford Transit 2005

Can I repair my Ford Transit`s starting ring without removing the gearbox?

Submitted: 18/11/2013 14:22:54 | ID: 57974

Garry Brookes, England

Ford Transit 2003

Where is the start charge relay on my Ford Transit van?

Submitted: 12/11/2013 12:44:04 | ID: 57688

Michael Glenn, Nottinghamshire

Ford Transit 1993

How much antifreeze do you put in a 1993 2.5 Ford Transit diesel?

Submitted: 12/11/2013 12:42:44 | ID: 53253

Phil Crowther, Gloucestershire

Ford Transit 1999

I think I have blown the main fuse in my Ford Transit. Where is it? (2,5 diesel)

Submitted: 07/11/2013 12:20:05 | ID: 74450

Carl Weir, Bedfordshire

Ford Transit 2004

My 2004 Ford Transit t280 won`t go over 3000 revs, loses power and blows out white smoke, but not all of the time mainly on dual carriageways and up hills. Please can anyone help?

4 clutches? I’ve got the same problem and just had a quote for over £600. I can’t work it out, some days it’s ok and others it’s juddering in first all day. I’ve been told it could be the engine mounts, who knows? Stephen Kane from England

Seems like you are running too lean. Try changing fuel filter. If engine light is on you will be running in limp mode. Max from Australia

Submitted: 05/11/2013 16:14:16 | ID: 57425

David, London

Ford Transit 2003

My Ford Transit has an engine where the oil is not pumping around to the various parts. Oil pump has been changed but there`s no oil pumping to the turbo or rockers from what we can gather. Any ideas would be much appreciated as we have exhausted all our options or ideas. Any suggestions please?

Submitted: 01/11/2013 10:52:20 | ID: 57021

Michael Young, England

Ford Transit 2008

Hi. I have a Ford Transit 2008 280 van and it keeps jumping out of fifth gear. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Submitted: 29/10/2013 12:48:22 | ID: 56912

Mark Appleton, Berkshire

Ford Transit 2009

Hello, my Ford Transit turns over too long before starting, it will always start but takes way too long. It’s a 2009 115 engine. Can anybody help?

Sounds like your up lift is leaking, so your engine needs to pump it back up. Simon from England

Submitted: 25/10/2013 14:24:11 | ID: 56669

Mike Andrews, Hampshire

Ford Transit 1998

My Ford Transit will start okay but then sometimes won`t start. It will turn over but won`t fire up. What should I do?

Submitted: 25/10/2013 11:57:38 | ID: 56365

Nav Bashir, Berkshire

Ford Transit 2007

My Ford Transit T280 works fine, butt I am struggling to get up to 40kms in second gear. The van is losing power and even cutting out whilst slowing down at a red light. Has anyone had or have heard of this problem? (T280)

Submitted: 22/10/2013 15:37:07 | ID: 56477

William Ord, Essex

Ford Transit 2004

Does the Ford Transit. swb td have a cambelt or chain?

Submitted: 22/10/2013 08:42:58 | ID: 56426

Kent Hislop, Lancashire

Ford Transit 1998

After stopping at shops for 2 minutes my mk4 Ford Transit will get ignition lights but will not turn or fire. Has a relay gone down?

Submitted: 17/10/2013 15:10:02 | ID: 56185

Brendan Mahoney, England

Ford Transit 2005

I`ve just inherited an 05 Ford Transit jumbo t350. When I drove it home I had to go up a long hill and it barely managed 16mph, it was empty too. I thought I could smell diesel fumes but this could`ve been exhaust coming in back doors. I can see a bit of daylight. Are these engines turbo’d or have I got a non turbo variant or has the turbo gone? The van`s only got 71,000 on the clock. Thanks for any help. (115t350)

Submitted: 04/10/2013 11:42:49 | ID: 55803

Richard, England

Ford Transit 2001

My Ford Transit (front wheel drive) makes a whining noise from the front end when I’m on the motorway between 55-65mph. It sounded at first like maybe a wheel bearing but only coming on and then going so maybe it isn’t. I have had new tyres fitted and the noise which seemed to be more on the n/s front end has moved more to the middle which seems strange. The noise is there if I’m in fourth or fifth gear, so hopefully it is not a problem with fifth gear and transmission oil levels. The discs and pads are good and nothing seems wrong there. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I’m hoping a wheel bearing but it`s coming and going at higher speed, plus it seems to move now the tyres have been changed which seems odd? (SWB 280 TD)

Submitted: 03/10/2013 14:47:08 | ID: 55743

Luisa Jordan, England

Ford Transit 2009

I was driving a Ford Transit T280 which broke down after a short distance. It completely stopped without warning and then the dash lights came on. When it was checked it was found that there was no oil left and the oil cap is cracked. Does anybody know what this could be due to? Thanks very much.

Submitted: 24/09/2013 08:51:41 | ID: 54886

Marios Kleomenous, Cyprus

Ford Transit 2002

We isolated the oil cooler on my Ford Transit but there is still oil in the water tank. Does anybody know why?

There is a possibility of damage to the head gasket. Charlieo from Uganda

Submitted: 23/09/2013 14:16:37 | ID: 54684

Gabriel Duggan, Ireland

Ford Transit 2005

My van in work is a 2005 Ford Transit van. I have a digital mileage reader and a clock type rev counter and speedometer. When the van has been running for approximately an hour the mileage goes blank with dashes, the speedo fails and the rev counter fails. It comes off and on through the day`s work. Can anyone suggest why it`s doing this please?

I had the same problem on my 2004 Transit. The problem exists in the connector that connects to the back of the instrument panel. If the problem can be fixed by giving the top of the dashboard a good thump then this is where the problem is likely to be. I found just reseating the connector and making sure it was pushed fully home seemed to fix it Richard Burgess from Fife and Kinross Shires

Hi. I had the same thing. It took hours for me to find out what it was and in the end I took the clock/cluster out and took it apart. You will see the curcit board get a clean rag and spray some wd40 on the rag and clean the curcit board, making sure you clean it all. Then get a new rag and do it again to get most of the wd40 off and try to plug in it in and it should be ok. Let me now how you get on. Thanks. Hope this helps. Richard angel from Caerphilly

Submitted: 19/09/2013 12:45:55 | ID: 54590

James Law, Wiltshire

Ford Transit 2004

My friend has brought me a problem on his Ford Transit 2L diesel. He was driving it normally and it decided to cut out on him. At a guess I`m thinking it was the diesel pump but it was pumping fuel fine. I’ve checked all fuses and relays and all engine connections and my code reader shows no error codes. It turns over all day long but does not fire. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Can anyone help?

It’s possible the crank sensor may be at fault. Have had them play up before without leaving an error code on the PCM Aaron Powell from England

It’s the fuel pump. Frank Garcia from England

Submitted: 05/09/2013 16:12:16 | ID: 54016

Alan Hunter, County Tyrone

Ford Transit 2003

I have lost the key to my Ford Transit and the van is unlocked. I have another 2003 Transit in my yard which was crashed but all keys, locks and ignition are intact. What do I need to swap over to get my van going or is this possible?

ECU and injector pump would need to be changed from the donor car aswell with the key, as the fob is programmed to work with them. Jamie Hodges from London

If you swap the ECU fuel pump start barrell and key/switch dashclocks you need to still reprogram the system to start the pats system. The new codes need entering to clear the rim of the old codes by Ford IDs. Just get an auto lock smith to deal with the lost key, a good auto smith will also recode the key at same time, which is cheaper all round. A fuel pump swap is a four hour job and another couple of hours for the rest, then you still need to tell the system to work by ford IDs. And if the ECU is a newer one or replacement, all the injector code stored info may not run the other engine correcly anyway. Also the keep alive memory will need to be reset by, you got it, Ford IDs, as only Ford IDs can input these to the ECU. Truble monkeyboy from Dorset

Submitted: 05/09/2013 14:51:03 | ID: 53904

Peter, Oxfordshire

Ford Transit 2007

I have a Ford Transit Connect 07 1.8 diesel which overheats slightly until I put on the heater which brings it back down. It`s losing water but there`s no sign of leaks anywhere. Nothing in the oil dipstick, it`s just a mystery where the water is going. Can anyone help? (1.8 diesel)

Submitted: 03/09/2013 15:57:52 | ID: 53916

Colin Stewart, Essex

Ford Transit 1997

I have a very small spray of diesel oil on top of the engine of my Ford Transit, very near to one of the injectors. I put a spanner on the injector nuts and found no movement at all. Can I continue to drive the van while keeping an eye on the leak?

Submitted: 06/08/2013 15:46:00 | ID: 53384

Fahad, England

Ford Transit 2007

Hi. I have a Ford Transit 07 reg. I pulled the handbrake and was turning it over in fourth gear but it wasn`t going forward and I held the keys. A click sounded and that was it. Now it won`t start and when I turn the keys it makes a clicking sound from the front passenger side for about 5 seconds. There are no warning lights on the rpm meter and the speedometer is okay. What should I do?

Submitted: 25/07/2013 12:23:29 | ID: 92170

Ivan Woodward, England

Ford Transit 2003

My Ford Transit starts but won’t rev and when you are trying to rev loads of white smoke comes out the exhaust. Also on tickover it sounds like it is blowing at the manifold. What is wrong? (SWB Diesel)

If it’s turbo, check that any pipes haven’t come off as that will make that sort of noise. Plus will smoke if pipes come off Darron Hayward from England

Submitted: 18/07/2013 16:22:29 | ID: 66090

Paul Manchester, Nottinghamshire

Ford Transit 2005

Hi. I have a Ford Transit van 2.4di. It had a new clutch last year, we got a kit and did away with the duel mass fly wheel. Over the last few days I`ve noticed a slight whisp or whistle when driving, but when I just lightly press the pedal it goes. Would a slight adjustment on the cable be okay to stop it doing this? It`s only very slight. A couple of turns on the adjuster would do it. What do you think? Thanks a lot.

Submitted: 05/07/2013 11:59:23 | ID: 65097

Pierre Le tissier, England

Ford Transit 2006

My Ford Transit was taken into a garage and lots of work was undertaken, but when they put the van back together the injector and seal were not fitted correctly. The van was returned to me with oil being forced out of the injector seals, smoke coming from the exhaust and compression in the engine as the oil cap would fire off if you took it off with the engine running. The van was not showing any of these signs before it was stripped and worked on. The van is now burning oil and smoking and the engine has compression. If the injector and seal were leaking what damage could it do to the engine? Would you replace the injector seals with new when you remove the injectors? If a compression test was undertaken and the injector seal were leaking would the compression test give a fault reading?

Submitted: 27/06/2013 11:12:46 | ID: 63272

Peter van der Kamp, Netherlands

Ford Transit 2004

I have a Ford Transit 260S FD DC 125 LR and during the last few weeks the horn system has not been working, together with the right hand seat heater, the mirror heater and the rear window heater. I checked the fuses and found all are okay. I interchanged the relays without result. I did not yet check the availability of 12 volt at the plug at the horn, mirrors, seat and rear window heater. I wondered if there is anyone with the same experiences and whether a problem/solution is known? (125hp cool edition)

Submitted: 20/06/2013 11:47:32 | ID: 68211

Tony Hayes-Ward, England

Ford Transit 2003

Hi, when I engage reverse gear in my Ford Transit the engine revs become very flat and unresponsive, but only in reverse gear. It`s been in the garage where they tried changing the reverse sensor on the gearbox, but it`s still the same. However when the reverse switch is unplugged from loom the revs return to normal! The garage has no idea. Maybe something is shorting somewhere? Any ideas? Cheers. (280 swb)

Sounds daft but isn’t, mine did the same and cut out when you slowly turned a tight corner. It was the fuel pump relay in fuse box under bonnet on right, small black one 1 inch x 1/2 inch, swap it with one next to it Malcolm Courtley from Durham

Submitted: 11/06/2013 11:22:34 | ID: 92762

Garry Jones, England

Ford Transit 2008

My Ford Transit Lwb has started making a knocking sound which seems to be in the front end. The engine smells hot but the temperature gauge is normal. I`ve parked it up at a friend`s yard and am a bit scared to drive it as it seems to be getting louder. Can anyone suggest what I should do please?

Take your fan belt off and start engine. If you have no noise it is very possible it’s your fan jc from Kent

Loose roll bar bushes? - from England

Submitted: 11/06/2013 10:57:35 | ID: 59363

Dve, Kent

Ford Transit 2006

Hi. Our Ford Transit van starts fine every time, but for the last few months when accelerating through all heard is misfires/kangaroos. We have had a full service done, flushed the fuel system through and added redex on several full tanks. The problem showed no faults when diagnostics were run. We then had it back in the garage and they sent the van to an injector test company, they also could not find any fault. However they supposedly reported saying it could be the turbo starting to go. We have now taken it to another derv fitter who also put it on diagnostics and he said that it seems to have a fault with the air flow sensor. He has fitted a new one as well as a fuel filter. He says it seems better but is still missing. Can anyone help as we are at a loss to what it could be and it’s now starting to get expensive? (LWB T350 diesel)

To me this sounds like a turbo pipe could be split check the turbo pipes for any splits or areas that have perished Mark Price from Cheshire

Submitted: 10/06/2013 09:23:55 | ID: 66468

Kevin Harris, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Ford Transit 2005

I used my Ford Transit today and it sounded a bit rough. I started it up again, it cut out ,started up again and it kept going but there was lots of white smoke. I haven`t had any trouble before. Please can anyone help?

When I had white smoke and cutting out it was the head gaskett. I noticed a sweet smell also where the anti freeze was cooking in the engine. Dean Jordan from Neath Port Talbot

Sounds like your handbrake cable has come adrift. Yes handbrake operates on the front Paul Fitzgerald from Somerset

Submitted: 10/06/2013 08:53:56 | ID: 66452

Chris Lomas, England

Ford Transit 1999

Why is my water flowing straight into my engine on my Ford Transit. It’s not the oil cooler as I’ve joined the water pipes together and I can’t see it being the head gasket as its flowing in as fast as it goes in and sounds like its entering behind the timing belt casing. Is there a core plug in there that could of popped.

Submitted: 30/05/2013 08:07:39 | ID: 93220

Martin Dougan, Hampshire

Ford Transit 2009

When travelling on the motorway my Ford Transit van seems to miss a beat a few times and then all of the power goes from the engine. The engine stays on but there`s no power at all, a warning light comes on the dashboard with a round dashed circle with an exclamation mark in the middle. If I turn the engine off it normally clears and I’m away again. Does anyone know what could be causing this please?

I had similar thing with a Holden turned out to be faulty muffler with part of the internals of the muffler blowing up against the outlet partially blocking the exhaust Yarram Yarram from Burundi

Mine used to stop when under load but if I turned the key off then back on, away it went. The issue turned out to be the injectors. I had them over-hauled no more problems (mk 6 transi from Kent.

Submitted: 20/05/2013 15:37:48 | ID: 58396

Monica Barrell, Suffolk

Ford Transit 2010

I am changing the driver`s wing mirror on my Ford Transit. It only has 1 x 10mm bolt and the other 2 seem to be sheer bolts. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to remove the old mirror please or do you need to cut off the sheer bolts?

They are shear bolts. U need to break plastic around mirror arm then use a small chizzle and tap around anti clock wise Colin Peak from England

Submitted: 10/05/2013 08:35:06 | ID: 59327