FORD TRANSIT questions and answers: Page 5

FORD Transit

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD TRANSIT models. Help and advice on everything FORD TRANSIT. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD TRANSIT questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Neil Schofield, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 1999

My Ford Transit van won’t start and there’s a light that comes on the dash that looks like a diesel pump with three dots round it. My friend says it means there is water in my diesel? Is this true and what can I do to get my van working?

Submitted: 10/01/2013 09:21:46 | ID: 64353

Lloyd Kitchen, Australia

Ford Transit 2002

Hi all. I`m looking at buying a Ford Transit van that is not going. He says that it is because of the injector pump. I need to know worst case scenario, what would a rebuild of the engine cost approximately? Any ideas? (Mid roof MWB)

How about 700 for a pump, rebuild new 1300 Steve Donohue from Yorkshire

Sorry buddy, I just had my Ford Transit van lose power and it was the bearings in my fan first then it was my diesel injector pump which cost $9000 brand new to replace as they are rare in Australia and $2000 for a recondition one and on once doing this the the engine went into limp mode and when tested at Ford it came up saying nearly 40 things wrong with it. It would have to be the worst vehicle I have bought, but when it was going it was a dream to drive but when something goes wrong make sure you have a big wallet full of cash as Ford Transit parts are not cheap in Australia. If you need parts buy online from England, they are heaps cheaper. I didn’t have the time for that as I run a mobile business and I have since bought a Mercedes Sprinter van which hasn’t missed a beat... Yet... Have a think before you buy one Natalie from Australia

Submitted: 08/01/2013 11:42:46 | ID: 67454

Steve Watson, Surrey

Ford Transit 2008

When l open my Ford Transit`s back doors in winter there is so much condensation, it looks like it has been raining. Does anybody have any ideas what l can do?

You need to line it with carpet and ply it out Darren Brewin from England

Submitted: 08/01/2013 10:18:37 | ID: 67364

Duncan Carrick, Australia

Ford Transit 1997

I have a 1997 turbo diesel automatic transmission long wheel base Ford Transit van. My problem is the van won’t change up into top gear on the highway so the engine revs high. Can anyone shed some light on what may be wrong? Thankyou.

My 1999 van is doing exactly the same. Did you ever find an answer to your problem? Bernard Harries from Australia

Submitted: 07/01/2013 15:07:55 | ID: 67156

Dave Traxler, Essex

Ford Transit 2002

I was driving my Ford Transit when all of a sudden I had no clutch. I pulled over to the side of the road to have a look and fluid was coming from the housing by the gearbox. I put the van into the garage and had a new clutch plate, bearing, new dmf, new slave. They put it all back together but I have no drive. It’s all been bled, there is clutch pressure, it goes into gear fine but won`t pull away. It feels like it`s not engaging and is driving me mad as I don’t know what to try next?

There’s a pump connected to the peddle that goes through the bulk head. Try replacing this; 10 quid from the breakers. They’re common for o-rings going, it’s just like a plunger Ryan from Stirlingshire

Submitted: 07/01/2013 11:47:34 | ID: 67069

Dave, England

Ford Transit 2003

My mechanic snapped the glow plugs on my Ford Transit trying to remove them, so he took the cylinder head off and drilled the plugs out. But after refitting the head he found that he had drilled it incorrectly as there was a lack of pressure and the tappets were knocking, so he had to fit a brand new cylinder head. Is this common or is it his fault for not drilling the old plugs out? Or is it down to me to pay for the new head? Thanks.

It’s the mechanic’s fault, he snapped it, he drilled it incorrectly. Some of the cost is down to him Kev Millard from Hertfordshire

The head should be very hot when trying to remove h/plugs; if cold they will snap ja from Derbyshire

Submitted: 04/01/2013 11:48:19 | ID: 65708

Jiten Mehta, England

Ford Transit 2005

My 2005 model Ford Transit minibus 2.4 runs well when cold but as soon the engine gets warm it starts labouring and struggling for power. I`ve been told it may be the electronics on the fuel pump. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

Hi, most likley the egr valve and inlet manifold. Replace the valve and take inlet of and give it a good clean. Try this cold, save you loads of money Craig from England

Submitted: 04/01/2013 11:01:57 | ID: 66924

Darren Furey, Ayrshire

Ford Transit 2000

Hi all, I have a 2000 swb Ford Transit van and my power steering is gone. When it’s lifted on a jack it turns fine but otherwise it’s like turning a tank! I was running low of PS fluid and it was starting to become difficult to turn so I topped it up and it got worse! Does the wrong fluid affect it?

Absolutely the wrong type fluid will destroy the seals, you will have to at least change the power steering pump. And at worst also may have to change the rack, be sure to completely flush all contaminated steering fluid before replacing parts. Your van uses standard ATF fluid to purge the system with pipes removed turn steering left to right several times whilst jacked up Trev from Dorset

Submitted: 24/12/2012 14:21:36 | ID: 66159

Lee Robinson, Australia

Ford Transit 1999

My Ford Transit won`t start off the key but you can clutch it. The batteries are good. I just parked it at night and in the morning it wouldn`t start off the key. What should I do?

Mine is doing the same. Do u have any lights come on on the dash? i have na on at tall someone told me the igneation switch change that and still wont start can u help me Jake Coy from England

Submitted: 24/12/2012 12:16:39 | ID: 66033

Scott Crockatt, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Ford Transit 2004

Hi, I`ve got a 2004 Ford Transit jumbo and the brakes are sticking on but when you open the bleed nipple they release. I`ve changed the front flexi hoses and the master cylinder. Does anybody know what it my be? (jumbo)

Submitted: 17/12/2012 10:46:11 | ID: 65603

Sue, Isle of Anglesey

My Ford Transit starts perfectly every morning, but if you go back to it after a few hours, nothing. If it`s towed or jump started I can get home, leave it for 12 hours and then it will start perfectly again. What’s draining the battery when it’s running? (2010)

Mine did the same as that where the bat cables are. It has little black box on it it will cut power to everthing. Check this and the starter motor drains power too as I had to fix mine. Power started going first then starter I had one starter for to days and it drained power. Try anyway mate, I did, my van runs good now Phill from New Zealand

Submitted: 17/12/2012 09:12:18 | ID: 65566

Len Peirce, Wiltshire

Ford Transit 2004

Hi. My Ford Transit 85 T280 starts on the button but runs roughly and smokes a lot which smells of diesel, I have tried swapping the injectors but still the same. I have since had a diagnostic check done which brought up 2 faults, P1665 ( Injection Pump Control Module Communications) and P1664 ( Injection Pump Control malfunction). Could anyone please tell me what I need to do to remedy these faults ie is a new fuel pump needed? Regards. (85 T280)

I would hazard a guess that it is either the control module on the rear of the fuel pump (its a solenoid valve that I think can be replaced) or most likely it will be one or all of the injectors that has seized or is sticky and the fuel pressure is leaking back down the return which will give a fault of "low fuel pressure". I would get the injectors flow tested in situ and see if its them, should take 30 mins and will not cost a lot. Usually you can just replace the injector, if they are the Delphi ones they can be anything from £180 for recon ones or £250+ for new!! Then they have to be "coded" to the ECU. I had to have 4 delphi injectors replaced and coded and it cost me just under a grand!! Jeremy Scott from Northamptonshire

Expensive Christopher Lee from England

Submitted: 11/12/2012 16:16:01 | ID: 64994

Afthab Sharafudeen, Australia

Ford Transit 2007

I want to fix my Ford Transit`s reverse sensor, but I don’t know the reverse light supply wire. Can anyone help me with a Ford Transit van circuit diagram?

Hi there, I saw on another site that the reversing sensor may be the problem. It is on the gearbox and by the look of the pictures it appears to be on the extention housing at the back. Have a look on www.motorhomefun.co.uk/attachments/ford9532d1314521545-transit-reverse-lam... Roger Peyton-Smth from Australia

Submitted: 11/12/2012 15:31:18 | ID: 64934

Stephen Carroll, Cheshire

Ford Transit 1997

I have a 1997 2.5 ltr Ford Transit and the engine runs at normal temperature and the blower works well but no heat is entering the cab. Any suggestions?

Submitted: 06/12/2012 11:52:33 | ID: 64517

Lee Robinson, Durham

Ford Transit 2009

Hi guys. I have a Ford Transit 09 mwb hr. When I reverse it makes a low whistling noise. This also happens when I turn a corner, but it doesn`t happen all the time, I would say about 50% of the time. The van has 19,000 miles on it. It`s as if something sounds dry, if that makes any sense? Any ideas?

U all right mate, it sound as your gear box is on the way out or one of your drive shafts Jake Coy from England

Submitted: 06/12/2012 09:04:41 | ID: 64445

Steve, England

Ford Transit 2000

Hi, I need some help with a mk6 Ford Transit front crankshaft oil seal. How do I fit it? Do I need to take off the timing chain cover? I tried to put it on but it would not sit flush to lock in place. Suggestions please?

Submitted: 03/12/2012 14:24:54 | ID: 64212

Mark Nugent, Northumberland

Ford Transit 2004

My Ford Transit won`t start in cold weather. I have to take my van to charge the battery, but if it`s left standing a day or so it won`t start. Any help please?

Submitted: 03/12/2012 14:08:06 | ID: 64190

Louise Cuthbertson, England

Ford Transit 2003

I have a Ford Transit 2003 model 280. When I put my foot on the brake the dash lights come on, with no keys in the ignition. When I brake my brake lights don’t come on anymore. What`s wrong?

I had a similar problem, check the bulbs in the rear, making sure they are correctly fitted. Look closely Mike Rickman from Hampshire

Submitted: 29/11/2012 11:44:02 | ID: 63623

Derek, Essex

Ford Transit 2008

Hi. I have a whistly sort of noise that appears to be coming from the heater fan in my 08 2.2 Ford Transit. If I turn right, it stops until I straighten up again. Before I attempt to get at the motor, does anyone know if the cure is likely to be a new motor, or could there just be something that needs tightening up? Thanks.

Submitted: 29/11/2012 09:30:10 | ID: 63584

Tom Murphy, Northumberland

Ford Transit 2003

Hi. I have a Ford Transit long wheel base motorhome. It`s immobiliser light on the dash is flashing after switching on. The engine`s turning well and fuel to the injectors looks good but it will not fire up on it`s own without any easy start. Could this be a fault on the key fob? There`s fuel to the top of the injector but it appears not to be going through the injectors and attomising Als. Could glow plugs be at fault as, when the ignition`s switched on, the glow plug light goes out immediately? Thanks.

Hello, I have the same problem, have you fixed it, if so would you please let me know? garethrobinson1989@gmail.com Gareth Robinson from Yorkshire

Submitted: 27/11/2012 10:19:38 | ID: 63527

Michael Scriven, Leicestershire

Ford Transit 2005

I had a new fuel pump fitted to my Ford Transit and the mechanic did not use a new chain kit so could it be possible to lift the engine head and what could it do to the tension on it? Is there any knock-on effect of not fitting the fuel pump right? (lwb 2.4cc)

Submitted: 26/11/2012 09:49:29 | ID: 61954

Vincent Hancock, Durham

Ford Transit 1991

What does it mean when my Ford Transit`s headlights go dim whenever I turn another electrical device on inside the van such as the heater or radio?

It means the hidro confabulator is on its way out, usually caused by the prefix deligator on the stand alone fuel management system. Either replace the confabulator with a remit triple gague perpitisor or take it to fords for a total ecu programme remap Straight talkin Shaun from England

You probably just have a bad earth or the headlight relay is weak. Slaash from England

Submitted: 22/11/2012 09:16:10 | ID: 59854

Steve Bevan, Neath Port Talbot

Ford Transit 2001

steve bevan from Neath Port Talbot has sent in a question on the Ford Transit. I am replacing the passenger side rear bulb holder on my 2001 Ford Transit panel van because of corrosion of the circuit board. However, the connector block that supplies the power to the lights is also the same as the new holder. I want to replace that connector but have no idea what it`s called or where I can get one. Can anyone help? (panel van)

Submitted: 20/11/2012 08:39:06 | ID: 55301

Nigel Carey, Cambridgeshire

Ford Transit 2005

Why does my Ford Transit 2005 2.4 diesel only start on the third or fourth time if it is left for a few hours/overnight? The glow plug light flashes when cranking over. Last year I replaced the fuel pump/fuel lines/leak off pipes/filter housing/battery/glow plugs/crank sensor/cylinder head temperature sensor/starter motor/ timing chain and tensioners. The van has done 170,000 miles. Garages can`t seem to agree, even with diagnostic scans. Also the van is noisy when first started, like an old diesel, but runs quietly when warm. Any ideas please? (2.4 diesel)

Timing chain tensioner is knackered and is relaxing when the van is left which in turn is altering pump timing when trying to start until oil pressure rises and refills chain tensioner taking up any slack in the chain Colin from England

Submitted: 05/11/2012 09:03:25 | ID: 65259

David Bell, England

Ford Transit 2002

My Ford Transit van has lost power and is getting hard to start. There is a little bit of black smoke from the exhaust but not excessive. What should I do? (100 t280 2ltr duratorq)

That sounds like blown turbo but I’m no expert Steve from Neath Port Talbot

Egr knackered Colin from England

Try checking for split vacuum pipes first as this will make it blow black smoke bad and lose power Wayne MCC from Merthyr Tydfil

Submitted: 01/11/2012 12:44:50 | ID: 89428

Anthony Cameron, Dorset

Ford Transit 1995

How do I remove the heater/fan control on the dashboard of my Ford Transit in order to replace the night illumination lights, as it appears the lights have blown? Thank you. (80 SWB)

Submitted: 30/10/2012 16:33:51 | ID: 89279

Ray, Kent

Ford Transit 2004

My Ford Transit van suddenly stops. It can start but cuts out when revved. It runs okay then suddenly cuts out again. I`ve checked all fuses, fuel - is there a diagnostic plug in on these vehicles? Thanks. (2.0 litre turbo diesel)

Submitted: 30/10/2012 12:57:47 | ID: 89183

Stephen Kelly, Cheshire

Ford Transit 2007

Hi. I`m fitting a fan belt on my Ford Transit T280 57 reg and wanted to know does anyone know how to do it? I`ve got the old one off but can`t seem to get the new one to go on. Can anyone help?

Hi. To the bottom left of where your belt goes there is a pulley that is the tensioner, it’s the one without the grooves, you need a socket and ratchet. Turn either way to take slack up or release Steve Deam from England

Submitted: 26/10/2012 12:01:11 | ID: 66845

Mark Reid, England

Ford Transit 2004

My Ford Transit has a sudden loss of power and the engine`s noisier. It will run fine up to 3000 rpm but will not accelerate above that. The engine is a 2.4 duratorq 125 ps tdi ht lwb. Does anyone know what`s wrong?

Hi. Mine has the same trouble. Just been to electro diesel. It’s very bad news. It is the diesel injection pump or should I say the solonoid. I had a long talk with the main man there and I have also had a diagnostic done. The faults will be the same as mine - "ignition timing fault injection control module requesting under fuelling" you can take it to Ford who have the kits for the solonoid repair and they will do it in situe but if your vehicle has never had a new injection pump and has done more than 120,000 then it is wiser to buy a new/refurb pump. A new pump will set you back £1300 but you will get £300 back on your old one or you can go online and get a refurb for around a grand but again you will get £300 back for your old one. I would advise you to replace the pump rather than having the kit if you want to be sure you have no more problems! The labour to fit differs as to where you go i.e. Ford charge £75 an hour and most reputable garages charge £50. It should be no more than £480 (a bit cheaper say 400 if they don’t have to cut the pipes off) for labour. I’m gutted too! Mike Corcoran from Dorset

Split turbo hose, it’s a comon fault Rob Steven from Essex

Just fit a new timing solenoid about 120 quid they are and from a reputable garage about 100 quid to fit done loads of them Colin from England

I have the same symptoms as above. Only thing is I had a brand new pump fitted in late 2011! Tension chain and all the trimmings. Can’t believe it’s gone again, I’ve only done 18k since. Bobby Howard from Dorset since

Submitted: 23/10/2012 08:25:17 | ID: 66336

Jules St Clair, England

Ford Transit 2003

My diesel pump went on my Ford Transit. I got a second replacement which was put on and programmed but I cannot get it to work. Could anyone tell me why and what I need to do?

Tow it for a bit with all the injectors open then shut them all and it should start Norman Hughson from Hebrides

Submitted: 22/10/2012 11:03:53 | ID: 66217

Paul, England

Ford Transit 2005

My Ford Transit 2005 on 55 plate all of a sudden lost power when driving drown the road. No lights came on the dash, then the power comes back again for a while, then it loses power again. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Submitted: 22/10/2012 11:01:15 | ID: 66216

Martin, Essex

Ford Transit 2001

Does anyone have any info on a Ford Transit 2.0, 2.2 Duratorq Diesel Fuel Pump Timing Solenoid please, regarding the removal and purchase in Essex?

Starter motor out and remove bracket that holds pump to block. The timing valve is at the bottom rear of pump. Cut wires and replace, reassemble. I did mine in about 2.5 hours. I went to 3 Ford dealers and 3 out of 3 said I need to change full pump. Parts fitters only I see. Just be sure it runs ok but sounds like timing is too far advanced Kevin Weldon from Yorkshire

Submitted: 22/10/2012 08:44:20 | ID: 65204

Peter Curran, Northern Ireland

Ford Transit 2001

When my Ford Transit 2001 330 rwd is sitting idling the mileage indicator keeps on clocking miles, even though I am not moving and the needle idles up and down on the speed gauge. There is no rev counter on this van. Has anybody seen this happening before or know how to fix it? I changed the speedometer and it`s still doing it. (330 swb)

Submitted: 18/10/2012 10:37:12 | ID: 64706

Norm Lawson, Australia

Ford Transit 2002

My Ford Transit has got a coolant leak which sprays up on the right side in the thermostat coolant hose area. It appears to be from under the plastic cover on the front of the the engine. Is there anything under there which is coolant related? Recently I had the head re surfaced and a new head gasket fitted. It runs fine, it`s just using coolant. Can anyone advise? (2.3 efi)

Sounds like it’s the small by pass hose under the plastic cover. This will only leak when you rev the engine. Easy fix though Terry Banks from Berkshire

Had same problem. Was water pump, about $150 Nick from Australia

Submitted: 15/10/2012 15:32:38 | ID: 88629

Kevin Langley, London

Ford Transit 1984

Can anybody tell me why, when the weather is very cold, I can’t get my Ford Transit van into gear? I had a new selector box two years ago and it’s reasonably okay when the weather is good but not when the weather is cold. Many Thanks. (SWB 2.0litre)

Hi, sounds like you need to bleed the clutch. It’s on the left side of the gearbox Craig from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 15/10/2012 14:42:17 | ID: 64076

Paul Tomney, Ireland

Ford Transit 2008

Hi. My Ford Transit t280 makes a strange noise when I press my foot on the clutch. It’s more noticeable when I drop down from 3rd to 2nd or if I’m stopped and I put it into reverse, it’s more of a whining noise. The mechanic thinks it`s a release bearing but is not 100% sure. Any ideas? Cheers.

Hi there I recently bought my second Ford Transit, it’s a mk7 2012. Had it 3 weeks, done 11,000km and same thing when clutching get this horrid like metal on metal dlllrrrrrrr noise and if sitting in neutral and rev upto say 2500 rpm and put clutch in same noise rings out. Now I haven’t got to the bottom of it yet but I know Toyota Hiaces do the same and on them its because the fingers on the pressure plate have bent causing the release bearing to skim the affected area. Now at the start it’s no emergency but left unfixed can wear through the fingers till they snap and that causes a few bad moments... Easy way to tell us to check fingers if it’s been happening there will be uneven wear on the affected area like a deeper grove from were the release bearing has retained contact over time not sure if this is the Trans-shits problem but is very similar in feel between the two Ethan French from New Zealand

You need a new thrust bearing/throwout bearing- Daza from Australia Anonymous from

The grinding rattling noise is the dualmass flywheel, expensive to replace and the metal and dust floating around in the bell housing will knacker your starter eventually. You can get a conversion kit to change to a solid flywheel. Some people will tell you a solid flywheel will cause extra eest on other components but its total crap... Jason from Ireland

Submitted: 15/10/2012 14:11:41 | ID: 63727

Jonathan Williams, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Ford Transit 2006

Hi. I have a 2006 Ford Transit fwd 85 t280, it won`t start when parked uphill but if revved it will start. I`ve just had a new battery, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, oil change and new fuel line that leads to the top of the injectors in the last week and a new EGR valve last year. Has anyone had the same problem, if so please help? Thanks.

Submitted: 12/10/2012 16:33:11 | ID: 89959

David Walton, England

Ford Transit 2006

Just bought a Ford Transit Jumbo and when changing gears it makes a whooshing sound. Is this due to the vacuum pump and why is this happening? Doesn’t seem to be any umph going through gear change.

Submitted: 10/10/2012 11:51:58 | ID: 92739

John McLaughlin, County Down

Ford Transit 2001

What would cause my Ford Transit to vibrate when I am lifting off in first gear. I had the clutch and flywheel replaced last year?

Did you change the spigot bearing? Paul from Durham

See if it does it in reverse as well, if so the most likely cause is oil contaminated clutch plate /rear main seal or gearbox input shaft seal Daza from Australia

Submitted: 10/10/2012 09:27:29 | ID: 85174

Ollie, Ireland

Ford Transit 2007

I have a 2007 Ford Transit T350 that turns over at least four times before it will start. Any ideas what could be wrong? (T350)

We just had the timing chain changed on ours for the same problem Tim from England

Submitted: 04/10/2012 11:08:55 | ID: 52800