FORD TRANSIT questions and answers: Page 5

FORD Transit

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD TRANSIT models. Help and advice on everything FORD TRANSIT. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD TRANSIT questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Brendan Mahoney, England

Ford Transit 2005

I`ve just inherited an 05 Ford Transit jumbo t350. When I drove it home I had to go up a long hill and it barely managed 16mph, it was empty too. I thought I could smell diesel fumes but this could`ve been exhaust coming in back doors. I can see a bit of daylight. Are these engines turbo’d or have I got a non turbo variant or has the turbo gone? The van`s only got 71,000 on the clock. Thanks for any help. (115t350)

Submitted: 04/10/2013 11:42:49 | ID: 55803

Richard, England

Ford Transit 2001

My Ford Transit (front wheel drive) makes a whining noise from the front end when I’m on the motorway between 55-65mph. It sounded at first like maybe a wheel bearing but only coming on and then going so maybe it isn’t. I have had new tyres fitted and the noise which seemed to be more on the n/s front end has moved more to the middle which seems strange. The noise is there if I’m in fourth or fifth gear, so hopefully it is not a problem with fifth gear and transmission oil levels. The discs and pads are good and nothing seems wrong there. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I’m hoping a wheel bearing but it`s coming and going at higher speed, plus it seems to move now the tyres have been changed which seems odd? (SWB 280 TD)

Submitted: 03/10/2013 14:47:08 | ID: 55743

Luisa Jordan, England

Ford Transit 2009

I was driving a Ford Transit T280 which broke down after a short distance. It completely stopped without warning and then the dash lights came on. When it was checked it was found that there was no oil left and the oil cap is cracked. Does anybody know what this could be due to? Thanks very much.

Submitted: 24/09/2013 08:51:41 | ID: 54886

Marios Kleomenous, Cyprus

Ford Transit 2002

We isolated the oil cooler on my Ford Transit but there is still oil in the water tank. Does anybody know why?

There is a possibility of damage to the head gasket. Charlieo from Uganda

Submitted: 23/09/2013 14:16:37 | ID: 54684

Gabriel Duggan, Ireland

Ford Transit 2005

My van in work is a 2005 Ford Transit van. I have a digital mileage reader and a clock type rev counter and speedometer. When the van has been running for approximately an hour the mileage goes blank with dashes, the speedo fails and the rev counter fails. It comes off and on through the day`s work. Can anyone suggest why it`s doing this please?

I had the same problem on my 2004 Transit. The problem exists in the connector that connects to the back of the instrument panel. If the problem can be fixed by giving the top of the dashboard a good thump then this is where the problem is likely to be. I found just reseating the connector and making sure it was pushed fully home seemed to fix it Richard Burgess from Fife and Kinross Shires

Hi. I had the same thing. It took hours for me to find out what it was and in the end I took the clock/cluster out and took it apart. You will see the curcit board get a clean rag and spray some wd40 on the rag and clean the curcit board, making sure you clean it all. Then get a new rag and do it again to get most of the wd40 off and try to plug in it in and it should be ok. Let me now how you get on. Thanks. Hope this helps. Richard angel from Caerphilly

Submitted: 19/09/2013 12:45:55 | ID: 54590

James Law, Wiltshire

Ford Transit 2004

My friend has brought me a problem on his Ford Transit 2L diesel. He was driving it normally and it decided to cut out on him. At a guess I`m thinking it was the diesel pump but it was pumping fuel fine. I’ve checked all fuses and relays and all engine connections and my code reader shows no error codes. It turns over all day long but does not fire. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Can anyone help?

It’s possible the crank sensor may be at fault. Have had them play up before without leaving an error code on the PCM Aaron Powell from England

It’s the fuel pump. Frank Garcia from England

Submitted: 05/09/2013 16:12:16 | ID: 54016

Alan Hunter, County Tyrone

Ford Transit 2003

I have lost the key to my Ford Transit and the van is unlocked. I have another 2003 Transit in my yard which was crashed but all keys, locks and ignition are intact. What do I need to swap over to get my van going or is this possible?

ECU and injector pump would need to be changed from the donor car aswell with the key, as the fob is programmed to work with them. Jamie Hodges from London

If you swap the ECU fuel pump start barrell and key/switch dashclocks you need to still reprogram the system to start the pats system. The new codes need entering to clear the rim of the old codes by Ford IDs. Just get an auto lock smith to deal with the lost key, a good auto smith will also recode the key at same time, which is cheaper all round. A fuel pump swap is a four hour job and another couple of hours for the rest, then you still need to tell the system to work by ford IDs. And if the ECU is a newer one or replacement, all the injector code stored info may not run the other engine correcly anyway. Also the keep alive memory will need to be reset by, you got it, Ford IDs, as only Ford IDs can input these to the ECU. Truble monkeyboy from Dorset

Submitted: 05/09/2013 14:51:03 | ID: 53904

Peter, Oxfordshire

Ford Transit 2007

I have a Ford Transit Connect 07 1.8 diesel which overheats slightly until I put on the heater which brings it back down. It`s losing water but there`s no sign of leaks anywhere. Nothing in the oil dipstick, it`s just a mystery where the water is going. Can anyone help? (1.8 diesel)

Submitted: 03/09/2013 15:57:52 | ID: 53916

Colin Stewart, Essex

Ford Transit 1997

I have a very small spray of diesel oil on top of the engine of my Ford Transit, very near to one of the injectors. I put a spanner on the injector nuts and found no movement at all. Can I continue to drive the van while keeping an eye on the leak?

Submitted: 06/08/2013 15:46:00 | ID: 53384

Fahad, England

Ford Transit 2007

Hi. I have a Ford Transit 07 reg. I pulled the handbrake and was turning it over in fourth gear but it wasn`t going forward and I held the keys. A click sounded and that was it. Now it won`t start and when I turn the keys it makes a clicking sound from the front passenger side for about 5 seconds. There are no warning lights on the rpm meter and the speedometer is okay. What should I do?

Submitted: 25/07/2013 12:23:29 | ID: 92170

Ivan Woodward, England

Ford Transit 2003

My Ford Transit starts but won’t rev and when you are trying to rev loads of white smoke comes out the exhaust. Also on tickover it sounds like it is blowing at the manifold. What is wrong? (SWB Diesel)

If it’s turbo, check that any pipes haven’t come off as that will make that sort of noise. Plus will smoke if pipes come off Darron Hayward from England

Submitted: 18/07/2013 16:22:29 | ID: 66090

Paul Manchester, Nottinghamshire

Ford Transit 2005

Hi. I have a Ford Transit van 2.4di. It had a new clutch last year, we got a kit and did away with the duel mass fly wheel. Over the last few days I`ve noticed a slight whisp or whistle when driving, but when I just lightly press the pedal it goes. Would a slight adjustment on the cable be okay to stop it doing this? It`s only very slight. A couple of turns on the adjuster would do it. What do you think? Thanks a lot.

Submitted: 05/07/2013 11:59:23 | ID: 65097

Pierre Le tissier, England

Ford Transit 2006

My Ford Transit was taken into a garage and lots of work was undertaken, but when they put the van back together the injector and seal were not fitted correctly. The van was returned to me with oil being forced out of the injector seals, smoke coming from the exhaust and compression in the engine as the oil cap would fire off if you took it off with the engine running. The van was not showing any of these signs before it was stripped and worked on. The van is now burning oil and smoking and the engine has compression. If the injector and seal were leaking what damage could it do to the engine? Would you replace the injector seals with new when you remove the injectors? If a compression test was undertaken and the injector seal were leaking would the compression test give a fault reading?

Submitted: 27/06/2013 11:12:46 | ID: 63272

Peter van der Kamp, Netherlands

Ford Transit 2004

I have a Ford Transit 260S FD DC 125 LR and during the last few weeks the horn system has not been working, together with the right hand seat heater, the mirror heater and the rear window heater. I checked the fuses and found all are okay. I interchanged the relays without result. I did not yet check the availability of 12 volt at the plug at the horn, mirrors, seat and rear window heater. I wondered if there is anyone with the same experiences and whether a problem/solution is known? (125hp cool edition)

Submitted: 20/06/2013 11:47:32 | ID: 68211

Tony Hayes-Ward, England

Ford Transit 2003

Hi, when I engage reverse gear in my Ford Transit the engine revs become very flat and unresponsive, but only in reverse gear. It`s been in the garage where they tried changing the reverse sensor on the gearbox, but it`s still the same. However when the reverse switch is unplugged from loom the revs return to normal! The garage has no idea. Maybe something is shorting somewhere? Any ideas? Cheers. (280 swb)

Sounds daft but isn’t, mine did the same and cut out when you slowly turned a tight corner. It was the fuel pump relay in fuse box under bonnet on right, small black one 1 inch x 1/2 inch, swap it with one next to it Malcolm Courtley from Durham

Submitted: 11/06/2013 11:22:34 | ID: 92762

Garry Jones, England

Ford Transit 2008

My Ford Transit Lwb has started making a knocking sound which seems to be in the front end. The engine smells hot but the temperature gauge is normal. I`ve parked it up at a friend`s yard and am a bit scared to drive it as it seems to be getting louder. Can anyone suggest what I should do please?

Take your fan belt off and start engine. If you have no noise it is very possible it’s your fan jc from Kent

Loose roll bar bushes? - from England

Submitted: 11/06/2013 10:57:35 | ID: 59363

Dve, Kent

Ford Transit 2006

Hi. Our Ford Transit van starts fine every time, but for the last few months when accelerating through all heard is misfires/kangaroos. We have had a full service done, flushed the fuel system through and added redex on several full tanks. The problem showed no faults when diagnostics were run. We then had it back in the garage and they sent the van to an injector test company, they also could not find any fault. However they supposedly reported saying it could be the turbo starting to go. We have now taken it to another derv fitter who also put it on diagnostics and he said that it seems to have a fault with the air flow sensor. He has fitted a new one as well as a fuel filter. He says it seems better but is still missing. Can anyone help as we are at a loss to what it could be and it’s now starting to get expensive? (LWB T350 diesel)

To me this sounds like a turbo pipe could be split check the turbo pipes for any splits or areas that have perished Mark Price from Cheshire

Submitted: 10/06/2013 09:23:55 | ID: 66468

Kevin Harris, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Ford Transit 2005

I used my Ford Transit today and it sounded a bit rough. I started it up again, it cut out ,started up again and it kept going but there was lots of white smoke. I haven`t had any trouble before. Please can anyone help?

When I had white smoke and cutting out it was the head gaskett. I noticed a sweet smell also where the anti freeze was cooking in the engine. Dean Jordan from Neath Port Talbot

Sounds like your handbrake cable has come adrift. Yes handbrake operates on the front Paul Fitzgerald from Somerset

Submitted: 10/06/2013 08:53:56 | ID: 66452

Chris Lomas, England

Ford Transit 1999

Why is my water flowing straight into my engine on my Ford Transit. It’s not the oil cooler as I’ve joined the water pipes together and I can’t see it being the head gasket as its flowing in as fast as it goes in and sounds like its entering behind the timing belt casing. Is there a core plug in there that could of popped.

Submitted: 30/05/2013 08:07:39 | ID: 93220

Martin Dougan, Hampshire

Ford Transit 2009

When travelling on the motorway my Ford Transit van seems to miss a beat a few times and then all of the power goes from the engine. The engine stays on but there`s no power at all, a warning light comes on the dashboard with a round dashed circle with an exclamation mark in the middle. If I turn the engine off it normally clears and I’m away again. Does anyone know what could be causing this please?

I had similar thing with a Holden turned out to be faulty muffler with part of the internals of the muffler blowing up against the outlet partially blocking the exhaust Yarram Yarram from Burundi

Mine used to stop when under load but if I turned the key off then back on, away it went. The issue turned out to be the injectors. I had them over-hauled no more problems (mk 6 transi from Kent.

Submitted: 20/05/2013 15:37:48 | ID: 58396

Monica Barrell, Suffolk

Ford Transit 2010

I am changing the driver`s wing mirror on my Ford Transit. It only has 1 x 10mm bolt and the other 2 seem to be sheer bolts. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to remove the old mirror please or do you need to cut off the sheer bolts?

They are shear bolts. U need to break plastic around mirror arm then use a small chizzle and tap around anti clock wise Colin Peak from England

Submitted: 10/05/2013 08:35:06 | ID: 59327

Bridgette, Australia

Ford Transit 2007

Hi, I have a Ford Transit VM 2007 model. It has recently been giving me trouble. I have taken it twice to a Ford service centre. They managed to reprogram the faults which were causing the power train light to constantly stay on, but this did not fix the problem. The symptoms are very intermittent. One hour the car works fine, the next I am struggling to get up to 40kms in second gear. The van is losing power and even cutting out whilst slowing down at a red light. I have however noticed that the problem mainly shows itself when the car has warmed up. Has anyone had or have heard of this problem? I have had suggestions that it could be the egr valve, air flow meter or crank meter?

Submitted: 07/05/2013 11:22:47 | ID: 58367

David Hodgson, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 1998

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help? My Ford Transit van runs okay and after I stop when the van is hot and I go to start it it will start okay. The problem is the engine monitoring light goes out and comes back on and stays on. If I turn the engine off and restart it it will not fire first time, then it starts but I may have to repeat this several times to rectify it and then I can drive as normal. Does anyone know of a product or solution that can cure the problem? Thanks.

Check your timing Colin Peak from England

Get the starter motor checked, mine did same type of thing and a Ford dealer fitted a new starter motor. All ok now.- Trev Smith from Kent.

Submitted: 02/05/2013 14:58:55 | ID: 54740

Michael Barrot, Lancashire

Ford Transit 2002

Every so often when I start up my Ford Transit it squeals when turning the key a few times before starting. I had it in the garage today who said it was the starter motor and changed it but it`s still doing it. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Submitted: 26/04/2013 10:16:54 | ID: 93424

Robert Mcelwee, Perthshire

Ford Transit 2005

I have a Ford Transit Tipper 2005. When driving along it loses power on the accelerator. When it`s stopped, it restarts with no problem. This is occuring every day. Can anyone suggest what is causing this please?

Check the fuel filter, it might be starved of fuel. I had the same problem on my mk6.- TBS Smith from Kent.

Submitted: 25/04/2013 12:05:52 | ID: 84825

C Price, England

Ford Transit 2007

My Ford Transit`s side and rear doors are locked shut and won`t open. Neither key or manual lock on the driver`s door will help. Is there any way to free them up and get in?

I had the same problem but found it was due to someone manually locking the passangers door. As soon as I unlocked it from the inside everything worked properly again Lee Goldring from Australia

Submitted: 25/04/2013 11:09:25 | ID: 84823

Bob Malcolm, England

Ford Transit 2004

I have just bought a T260 04 model Ford Transit. The engine seems fine and it pulls through the gears well, but I get a vibration through the van when going up to 50mph. There’s also a noise of metal coming from the back wheel area somewhere as though something is rattling against another piece of metal. It`s not a loud noise but annoying. Any suggestions please? (T260)

Get your back brakes checked, could be rear wheel bearing or abs ring and get the back wheels checked for balance weights Frank Buuttt from Zambia

Submitted: 25/04/2013 10:36:51 | ID: 67910

Mike Smith, Staffordshire

Ford Transit 2001

I have a Ford Transit 2.4 di. When my son was driving it stopped and he said the glow plug light came on. It stopped never to run again, wel not yet anyway. I`ve checked the obvious, fuel filter, fuel at the injectors (yes) and fuel in the tank is half full. It seems it will run a little with a sniff but not continue. I`ve been told it could be a crank sensor but will need a better code reader than the one I have got to pull any codes. I`m at a bit of a loss and any suggestions would be gratefully received. Can anyone help me please? Kind regards.

Fit a new crank sensor and see what happens Sam from Wales

Submitted: 18/04/2013 09:54:11 | ID: 92515

Andrew Nelson, Warwickshire

Ford Transit 2007

I have a Ford Transit 2007 petrol with gas conversion, lwb high top. I`ve only had it two weeks now and in the morning it starts fine but backfires. It sounds like it`s backfiring in the engine and not the exhaust, the engine warning light comes on but if I turn it off and start it again the light won’t be on. On the motorway both gas and petrol it seems to be down on power. On a flat run it will go about 70 or 80 if going downhill, but if I hit an incline the speed will slow to about 50. Also on gas and petrol there seems to be a lot of moisture coming from the exhaust. Please can anyone help? (145 t350 petrol)

Have your tappets checked as the valves go tight when run on gas – Mike Scott from Yorkshire Anonymous from

I do a lot of work on these and evey time one has low pulling power it has been cam timing out due to worn camchain and guides Robert Murray from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 05/04/2013 10:54:34 | ID: 91021

Paul David's, Dorset

Ford Transit 2012

I have just been given a new Ford Transit van that has a 70mph speed limiter restriction on it. This is very annoying and I would like to know how you get this removed, or can a chip be fitted to give me more power without the limiter being removed?

Get the vehicle put on IDS and have the limiter removed Diesel Doctor from Warwickshire

Hi. I also have this problem. 2010 Transit 280. I’ve had it switched off by Ford, that done nothing plus I had the ecu remapped and still it has 70 limiter. Please help me its driving me nuts ;-( Darron Hayward from England

Submitted: 05/04/2013 09:26:40 | ID: 90557

Mike Lunn, Hampshire

Ford Transit 2002

I have a Ford Transit 2.4 DI Duratorq diesel. The head cracked so I bought a second hand one, had it skimmed and pressure tested. When re-building I inserted both cams and as soon as I tighten the cam casing both camshafts lock solid. I’ve tried all I know. I’ve cleaned and cleaned every journal but to no avail. Any ideas? Could this replacement head have warped journals from overheating on the previous engine? Cheers.

Did you use your own camshafts in replacement head. If you did this, is the problem as head camshafts and cam carrier come as matched pairs. Check lazered numbers on cams and cam carrier against your own Tom Ryan from Ireland

Submitted: 02/04/2013 11:23:52 | ID: 92271

Sof Traore, London

Ford Transit 2005

I can hear a soft bell ringing from time to time while I’m driving my Ford Transit. I really don`t know what could cause it. I thought it`s my radio but it`s definitely not. Can anyone offer any help or suggestions?

Sounds like your seat belt is not being used after you have driven off Robert Dey from Scotland

Submitted: 25/03/2013 09:42:29 | ID: 77146

Paul, Caerphilly

Ford Transit 2011

Has anyone been having problems with their Ford Transit`s fuel light coming on whether it has a full tank, half a tank, or no set amount of fuel in it? Plus the engine backfires too. They are Diesel engines and have only done 20,000 miles, we have a number of them and we are having problems with 4 in question. We are being told it’s dirty fuel from the supermarkets that our drivers use? However, our drivers are based in Kent, Portsmouth, Bristol and Southampton. Can anyone advise me? (280 model)

My 2005 Yaris’ ABS light came on by itself out of the blue about 3 years after I bought the car. Discovered it was the front left sensor and changed it myself, but it shows that these things do give up the ghost just like that Les from Surrey

Submitted: 21/03/2013 15:48:28 | ID: 92136

Gaffa Tino, Northamptonshire

Ford Transit 2002

Hi, my Ford Transit 2.0 tdi started off with my throttle over revving, now the engine runs unevenly. After putting it on the dianostic machine it said to change the EGR valve, but there`s still no difference. Can anyone help?

Hi, I’ve done loads of these, it’s the throttle pedal, got a sensor on it. 100 pound from Ford, complete pedal Gary Leithead from England

Submitted: 21/03/2013 10:32:37 | ID: 64479

Tim, County Londonderry

Ford Transit 2002

Hey, I’ve got a 2002 swb t260/100 Transit with a blown turbo. I have a recon turbo to replace it with but have been told to pull manifold off to check for fillings, is this necessary? As it looks like a real big job. Thanks.

Submitted: 11/03/2013 16:56:24 | ID: 91533

Chris Hill, England

Ford Transit 1999

When accelerating my Ford Transit van is sluggish and then picks up, it`s almost like a v tech. An orange light sometimes flickers on and off. The other day it wouldn`t pick up and was very sluggish, then it cut out. Now I can`t start it. I changed the fuel filter but it still won`t start. Any ideas? (2.5 di)

Hi, I have been experiencing the same problems and now it has gone all together and had to be towed into a Ford garage! It seems like it’s a thermostat problem! I won’t know till the garage gets back to me but I suggest you get it booked in! It’s better to be safe than sorry! Andrew from England

I don’t know the technical terms. Mine did this, and the bit where the spark plugs are was full of water. Draining it made it better Sue Hale from England

Submitted: 06/03/2013 08:53:44 | ID: 91341

Jas Singh, Suffolk

Ford Transit 2005

My Ford Transit was not starting although the computer showed all was fine, so I replaced the starter. When I stopped the car everything went to zero, which turned out to be battery fuse was blown and the starter had gone. So I replaced it but now the car is not starting. Any suggestions what to do please?

Submitted: 05/03/2013 12:05:46 | ID: 91182

Simon Wright, Nottinghamshire

Ford Transit 2009

I have just purchased a 59 reg lwb Ford Transit and at low revs I get vibration through the steering wheel and vibration throughout the van. Once speed is increased it goes away. Any answers please?

Diesel pump has a leak air getting sucked in Transvans from England

Submitted: 05/03/2013 10:03:15 | ID: 61030

Ray Phillips, Cumberland

Ford Transit 1999

My 1999 Ford Transit Diesel Motor Home gives off clouds of black smoke for about half a mile after a 4-6 week lay up at winter time. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 19/02/2013 09:33:33 | ID: 90761

Roy Dodd, Cheshire

Ford Transit 2000

I went out in my Ford Transit van and the fuel light came on so I put diesel in and drove for a quarter of a mile and it cut out. I got it towed home. I was sure I had put diesel in, checked the fuel tank and it smelt like petrol. The mechanic said if it lights it`s petrol so I did that and it lit. I drained the tank and fitted a new filter but it would not start. I used Easystart and it`s trying to start but firing. Any suggestions what to do now please? Thanks.

Submitted: 14/02/2013 12:16:00 | ID: 90551