FORD TRANSIT questions and answers: Page 5

FORD Transit

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD TRANSIT models. Help and advice on everything FORD TRANSIT. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD TRANSIT questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

David Hodgson, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 1998

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help? My Ford Transit van runs okay and after I stop when the van is hot and I go to start it it will start okay. The problem is the engine monitoring light goes out and comes back on and stays on. If I turn the engine off and restart it it will not fire first time, then it starts but I may have to repeat this several times to rectify it and then I can drive as normal. Does anyone know of a product or solution that can cure the problem? Thanks.

Check your timing Colin Peak from England

Get the starter motor checked, mine did same type of thing and a Ford dealer fitted a new starter motor. All ok now.- Trev Smith from Kent.

Submitted: 02/05/2013 14:58:55 | ID: 54740

Michael Barrot, Lancashire

Ford Transit 2002

Every so often when I start up my Ford Transit it squeals when turning the key a few times before starting. I had it in the garage today who said it was the starter motor and changed it but it`s still doing it. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Submitted: 26/04/2013 10:16:54 | ID: 93424

Robert Mcelwee, Perthshire

Ford Transit 2005

I have a Ford Transit Tipper 2005. When driving along it loses power on the accelerator. When it`s stopped, it restarts with no problem. This is occuring every day. Can anyone suggest what is causing this please?

Check the fuel filter, it might be starved of fuel. I had the same problem on my mk6.- TBS Smith from Kent.

Submitted: 25/04/2013 12:05:52 | ID: 84825

C Price, England

Ford Transit 2007

My Ford Transit`s side and rear doors are locked shut and won`t open. Neither key or manual lock on the driver`s door will help. Is there any way to free them up and get in?

I had the same problem but found it was due to someone manually locking the passangers door. As soon as I unlocked it from the inside everything worked properly again Lee Goldring from Australia

Submitted: 25/04/2013 11:09:25 | ID: 84823

Bob Malcolm, England

Ford Transit 2004

I have just bought a T260 04 model Ford Transit. The engine seems fine and it pulls through the gears well, but I get a vibration through the van when going up to 50mph. There’s also a noise of metal coming from the back wheel area somewhere as though something is rattling against another piece of metal. It`s not a loud noise but annoying. Any suggestions please? (T260)

Get your back brakes checked, could be rear wheel bearing or abs ring and get the back wheels checked for balance weights Frank Buuttt from Zambia

Submitted: 25/04/2013 10:36:51 | ID: 67910

Mike Smith, Staffordshire

Ford Transit 2001

I have a Ford Transit 2.4 di. When my son was driving it stopped and he said the glow plug light came on. It stopped never to run again, wel not yet anyway. I`ve checked the obvious, fuel filter, fuel at the injectors (yes) and fuel in the tank is half full. It seems it will run a little with a sniff but not continue. I`ve been told it could be a crank sensor but will need a better code reader than the one I have got to pull any codes. I`m at a bit of a loss and any suggestions would be gratefully received. Can anyone help me please? Kind regards.

Fit a new crank sensor and see what happens Sam from Wales

Submitted: 18/04/2013 09:54:11 | ID: 92515

Andrew Nelson, Warwickshire

Ford Transit 2007

I have a Ford Transit 2007 petrol with gas conversion, lwb high top. I`ve only had it two weeks now and in the morning it starts fine but backfires. It sounds like it`s backfiring in the engine and not the exhaust, the engine warning light comes on but if I turn it off and start it again the light won’t be on. On the motorway both gas and petrol it seems to be down on power. On a flat run it will go about 70 or 80 if going downhill, but if I hit an incline the speed will slow to about 50. Also on gas and petrol there seems to be a lot of moisture coming from the exhaust. Please can anyone help? (145 t350 petrol)

Have your tappets checked as the valves go tight when run on gas – Mike Scott from Yorkshire Anonymous from

I do a lot of work on these and evey time one has low pulling power it has been cam timing out due to worn camchain and guides Robert Murray from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 05/04/2013 10:54:34 | ID: 91021

Paul David's, Dorset

Ford Transit 2012

I have just been given a new Ford Transit van that has a 70mph speed limiter restriction on it. This is very annoying and I would like to know how you get this removed, or can a chip be fitted to give me more power without the limiter being removed?

Get the vehicle put on IDS and have the limiter removed Diesel Doctor from Warwickshire

Hi. I also have this problem. 2010 Transit 280. I’ve had it switched off by Ford, that done nothing plus I had the ecu remapped and still it has 70 limiter. Please help me its driving me nuts ;-( Darron Hayward from England

Submitted: 05/04/2013 09:26:40 | ID: 90557

Mike Lunn, Hampshire

Ford Transit 2002

I have a Ford Transit 2.4 DI Duratorq diesel. The head cracked so I bought a second hand one, had it skimmed and pressure tested. When re-building I inserted both cams and as soon as I tighten the cam casing both camshafts lock solid. I’ve tried all I know. I’ve cleaned and cleaned every journal but to no avail. Any ideas? Could this replacement head have warped journals from overheating on the previous engine? Cheers.

Did you use your own camshafts in replacement head. If you did this, is the problem as head camshafts and cam carrier come as matched pairs. Check lazered numbers on cams and cam carrier against your own Tom Ryan from Ireland

Submitted: 02/04/2013 11:23:52 | ID: 92271

Sof Traore, London

Ford Transit 2005

I can hear a soft bell ringing from time to time while I’m driving my Ford Transit. I really don`t know what could cause it. I thought it`s my radio but it`s definitely not. Can anyone offer any help or suggestions?

Sounds like your seat belt is not being used after you have driven off Robert Dey from Scotland

Submitted: 25/03/2013 09:42:29 | ID: 77146

Paul, Caerphilly

Ford Transit 2011

Has anyone been having problems with their Ford Transit`s fuel light coming on whether it has a full tank, half a tank, or no set amount of fuel in it? Plus the engine backfires too. They are Diesel engines and have only done 20,000 miles, we have a number of them and we are having problems with 4 in question. We are being told it’s dirty fuel from the supermarkets that our drivers use? However, our drivers are based in Kent, Portsmouth, Bristol and Southampton. Can anyone advise me? (280 model)

My 2005 Yaris’ ABS light came on by itself out of the blue about 3 years after I bought the car. Discovered it was the front left sensor and changed it myself, but it shows that these things do give up the ghost just like that Les from Surrey

Submitted: 21/03/2013 15:48:28 | ID: 92136

Gaffa Tino, Northamptonshire

Ford Transit 2002

Hi, my Ford Transit 2.0 tdi started off with my throttle over revving, now the engine runs unevenly. After putting it on the dianostic machine it said to change the EGR valve, but there`s still no difference. Can anyone help?

Hi, I’ve done loads of these, it’s the throttle pedal, got a sensor on it. 100 pound from Ford, complete pedal Gary Leithead from England

Submitted: 21/03/2013 10:32:37 | ID: 64479

Tim, County Londonderry

Ford Transit 2002

Hey, I’ve got a 2002 swb t260/100 Transit with a blown turbo. I have a recon turbo to replace it with but have been told to pull manifold off to check for fillings, is this necessary? As it looks like a real big job. Thanks.

Submitted: 11/03/2013 16:56:24 | ID: 91533

Chris Hill, England

Ford Transit 1999

When accelerating my Ford Transit van is sluggish and then picks up, it`s almost like a v tech. An orange light sometimes flickers on and off. The other day it wouldn`t pick up and was very sluggish, then it cut out. Now I can`t start it. I changed the fuel filter but it still won`t start. Any ideas? (2.5 di)

Hi, I have been experiencing the same problems and now it has gone all together and had to be towed into a Ford garage! It seems like it’s a thermostat problem! I won’t know till the garage gets back to me but I suggest you get it booked in! It’s better to be safe than sorry! Andrew from England

I don’t know the technical terms. Mine did this, and the bit where the spark plugs are was full of water. Draining it made it better Sue Hale from England

Submitted: 06/03/2013 08:53:44 | ID: 91341

Jas Singh, Suffolk

Ford Transit 2005

My Ford Transit was not starting although the computer showed all was fine, so I replaced the starter. When I stopped the car everything went to zero, which turned out to be battery fuse was blown and the starter had gone. So I replaced it but now the car is not starting. Any suggestions what to do please?

Submitted: 05/03/2013 12:05:46 | ID: 91182

Simon Wright, Nottinghamshire

Ford Transit 2009

I have just purchased a 59 reg lwb Ford Transit and at low revs I get vibration through the steering wheel and vibration throughout the van. Once speed is increased it goes away. Any answers please?

Diesel pump has a leak air getting sucked in Transvans from England

Submitted: 05/03/2013 10:03:15 | ID: 61030

Ray Phillips, Cumberland

Ford Transit 1999

My 1999 Ford Transit Diesel Motor Home gives off clouds of black smoke for about half a mile after a 4-6 week lay up at winter time. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 19/02/2013 09:33:33 | ID: 90761

Roy Dodd, Cheshire

Ford Transit 2000

I went out in my Ford Transit van and the fuel light came on so I put diesel in and drove for a quarter of a mile and it cut out. I got it towed home. I was sure I had put diesel in, checked the fuel tank and it smelt like petrol. The mechanic said if it lights it`s petrol so I did that and it lit. I drained the tank and fitted a new filter but it would not start. I used Easystart and it`s trying to start but firing. Any suggestions what to do now please? Thanks.

Submitted: 14/02/2013 12:16:00 | ID: 90551

Alan Crombie, West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Ford Transit 1998

I have just purchased a Ford Transit lwb van 2.5 di engine (smiley face model). It had been a good runner until one day it died, a complete loss of power to the engine. I don`t think it`s electrical as all electrics work that I know of. A new fuel filter was fitted and filled several times over to bleed and the van started and ran perfectly. After trying to start it over a week later it ran great for 3-4 minutes then the loss of power occured again. It needed full throttle to tick over then cut out and wouldn`t tick over. I don`t want to strip the fuel lines from tank to filter and filter to injectors if there may be a simple answer that I have missed. Any help will be very much appreciated. Any ideas please? (100 lwb)

I had a similar problem a few years ago on a 2.5 di. First remove the filter and see if it`s full of diesel, mine was only half full. If I manually filled it, it ran straight away but as soon as the filter ran low it stopped. After weeks of trying to get the fuel up to no avail I bought a second hand Cavalier long reach electric fuel pump and fitted that between the tank and fuel filter and wired it to the ignition and hey presto no more problems. Worth a try as electric pumps are cheap but it must be long reach Tony Jacobs from Essex

Submitted: 14/02/2013 12:06:57 | ID: 90658

John Atkinson, Northumberland

Ford Transit 2003

Our Ford Transit van belongs to my son and has been standing for about 8 to 9 weeks, but even when connected with the jump leads there is nothing, no lights on the dash or anything. Also the key fob that opens the front as well as the back and side doors isn`t working, but again I don`t know if this is because of a problem with the battery or some other problem because it`s been standing so long. Any ideas please? (85t260)

Submitted: 14/02/2013 09:02:44 | ID: 65675

David Beal, Essex

I have a P reg Ford Transit van and I have to keep jump starting it, it works first time when I do that. I bought a new battery but that didn’t keep it`s power for very long, so I cut the thick negative cable just beside the battery and installed an isolation switch. I switch it off every time I stop somewhere. I did this because I thought that the battery could be draining, but it still did the same thing, insufficient battery power, so I took the battery back and it was renewed. The following morning I thought this could be my lucky day, but alas there was insufficient power. I found that the boy who changed the battery over hadn’t tightened the positive up properly, so I did that today 12th Feb. It was turning the engine over but not with gusto and I thought for a moment that it wouldn’t be able to do it. I was told that it could be the air filter. I`m clutching at straws now but to me it doesn’t look as though it has been taken off for some time. Now I am a bit surprised that the power steering bottle appears to be attached to that. Is it supposed to slide up off the metal and do you think that this could be my problem, as it runs fine in the warmer weather? Any suggesions please?

I had the same problem, new battery in winter would just start it in the morning, once it got going all day it would be fine, summer time no problem, next winter trouble, over a few years a few battery changes and countless RAC guys one told me it was the starter motor, it gets full of dust and crap and when cold the dust gets pretty solid and restricts the turning of the motor a change of motor problem solved. Hope this helps Ray Clark from England

Take off all the leads, and clean them with emery cloth, then reattach same, if it works, then great, but if not check the starter motor leads for wear and chafing. Clean and reattach. Check the earth strap for same. I feel this could be damp realated. Also if it works better in warmer weather, check the oil viscosity. It may be that someone has put in the wrong oil, and in the cold it is harder to pump around and the battery needs more whoomph to turn it over Paul Wigginton from Nottinghamshire

I`ve had the same problem on my smiley. Try renewing the battery terminals, mine had corroded in the soldered terminals, no problems now – Maurice Eilbeck from Essex

Submitted: 12/02/2013 16:18:11 | ID: 90566

William Craddock, Lancashire

Ford Transit 2005

When driving my Ford Transit it suddenly loses power and goes into tickover. I can`t rev it, but if you switch off then back on it will run again. This is happening more and more now. What could it be?

I had a similar thing happen with my tdci Mondeo, which I understand has a similar engine. Try the map sensor to see if it’s working properly. On my Mondeo this was getting damp and shorting out, so I changed the map sensor and wd40’d all round and she runs like a good ’un. It sounds like it’s going into limp mode to me, then resetting when you turn it back on. If not this, then follow the handbook, or of course consult your local diagnostic chap! He’ll tell you straight away! Paul Wigginton from Nottinghamshire

Many thanks for that, but it turned out to be the accelarator pedal William Craddock from Lancashire

Submitted: 11/02/2013 14:05:25 | ID: 63358

Steve Benett, Lancashire

Ford Transit 2000

I am looking to buy a Ford Transit van but it`s being sold as a none runner. Apparently a black box dropped down from the dashboard on the passenger side, then it only ran for 50 yards. Is this simply an immobiliser fault or something more serious?

Submitted: 05/02/2013 10:30:35 | ID: 90228

James Chandler, Essex

Ford Transit 2006

Hi. I’ve been having problems with my 56 plate Ford Transit accelerating. It`s the 2.2 duratorq turbo engine and is showing symptoms of fuel starvation. I recently fitted a new egr valve after problems with idling and that`s when the problems occurred. I have changed the fuel filter but there doesn’t seem to be much fuel getting to the filter to me, looking at the clear bulb at the top of the filter. It won`t accelerate at high revs and sometimes just completely loses power! There`s no smoke or temperature changes, I`m desperate for some advice! Any ideas?

Hi, our Ford Transit 2 litre van is currently in a garage at the moment undergoing repairs with the SAME symptoms as yours! Our van is an 06 plate T350, last model made in Germany. Do you have the glow plug showing when it loses power? So far we have been told either HIGH PRESSURE PUMP FAILURE or FUEL INJECTORS. But advised to test fuel injectors first as the code for high pressure pump reads the same as injectors! Hope this helps Rachel Castle from Wiltshire

Submitted: 31/01/2013 14:17:06 | ID: 90054

Andy T, Lancashire

Ford Transit 2005

I have an immobiliser problem with my 2 litre Ford Transit 125 psi. The red spanner came on and the van will not start not or even turn over. When the ignition is off there is a glow from the fuel gauge which you can only see when it’s dark. I`ve been told it may be a key problem and I will need to take it to Ford. Does anyone have any advice please?

Submitted: 31/01/2013 11:52:36 | ID: 65667

Paul Searle, England

Ford Transit 2001

Hi, my Ford Transit`s ignition key was worn, it dropped out so I was turning the ignition with a screwdriver and holding the key to black rnd immobilser decoder. This was fine and I was too busy to take it to the main dealer. Then wires came out of the green plug that goes into the decoder. An electrical guy said the wires can’t be put back into the green plug, so I cut one off another Transit at the scrapyard and joined them but the immobilser`s still not working. Any ideas please? (2 turbo swb)

Submitted: 24/01/2013 08:59:31 | ID: 89296

Nathan Bates, Wales

Ford Transit 2001

I have a problem with my Ford Transit. Some mornings I start it and it drives fine all day, other mornings I start it, drive to the end of the road and it goes into limp mode and the engine fan comes on. I turn the ignition on and off and it works fine. Other days it keeps happening all day. When it`s running at it`s running temperature it goes into limp mode and the temp is reading cold but the fan still comes on and feels like it`s losing power, when other days it feels fine. What could it be? Thanks.

Submitted: 21/01/2013 09:21:18 | ID: 68095

Richard, County Londonderry

Ford Transit 2003

I bought an 03 Ford Transit 125 t280. When I first start it in the morning it runs rough and is smoky until it warms up. It seems also to be losing power between 2000/3000 revs, the rev counter, temp hand and speedo drop to zero and go on and off quite a bit. If I push the miles reset pin it comes on as wel. Can anyone help me out? Cheers (280t 125)

Submitted: 18/01/2013 12:11:16 | ID: 68016

Elliott Rayner, Australia

Ford Transit 2003

Hi, I`m wanting to know if it is possible to put another engine in my Ford Transit? I have a diesel and a petrol with no working engines. I know I could put a Holden V6 in, but is there another engine that would suit? I read somewhere a Mondeo would fit, if so, would I need to get a conversion kit or would it fit straight in? I plan on towing with it, so want something with a bit of guts behind it. Thanks! (LWB Hight Roof.)

There is a conversion kit for the Holden V6 which many people in Australia use to replace the Transit engines with. Sorry, but I am not sure where you need to go to get this Rob Colligan from Australia

You may find a kit at The Castlemain Rod Shop, They do a lot of conversion kits. Lee Goldring from Australia

Submitted: 14/01/2013 11:14:54 | ID: 59851

Phil Bratt, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 2003

After servicing my diesel Ford Transit it turned over then stopped and I could not get it to run. I called my breakdown who spent 1 hour using 2 cans of wd/easy start sprayed into the air filter, bled the injectors and finally he tried the starter motor great! I fitted a reconditioned starter (3 pin) but it`s still not firing and the immobilisor light on the dash is flashing very fast. I had a diagnostic done which cleared all faults but it`s still not starting. He said it`s gone into hibernation, the key does not recognise the engine and vica versa. Please can anyone help with any suggestions as it has now been 5 weeks off road and I desperately need my Transit? (125 T280)

Submitted: 14/01/2013 10:08:55 | ID: 67748

Charlotte Land, England

Ford Transit 2005

Hi, I recently bought a Ford Transit 100 T280. I am losing power constantly and each time I lose power the engine stalls. It starts again fine every time. The temperature gauge shoots through the roof just before it stalls, I therefore assumed to check the water levels which are fine. It is now blowing a mixture of white and blue smoke and it is quite heavy! Any ideas will be most welcome. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I got t350 lwb. I just had same... fuel pump bosch vp30 or vp44, mines the 30, depends if it your pump or ecu on the top of it. I won’t go in to money, not cheap Steve Donohue from Yorkshire

Had same problem, went to local specialist Patterson Diesel in Cowdenbeath. It was the suction contol valve on diesel pump, under £150.00, fantastic Rosco from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 10/01/2013 12:25:52 | ID: 67588

Neil Schofield, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 1999

My Ford Transit van won’t start and there’s a light that comes on the dash that looks like a diesel pump with three dots round it. My friend says it means there is water in my diesel? Is this true and what can I do to get my van working?

Submitted: 10/01/2013 09:21:46 | ID: 64353

Lloyd Kitchen, Australia

Ford Transit 2002

Hi all. I`m looking at buying a Ford Transit van that is not going. He says that it is because of the injector pump. I need to know worst case scenario, what would a rebuild of the engine cost approximately? Any ideas? (Mid roof MWB)

How about 700 for a pump, rebuild new 1300 Steve Donohue from Yorkshire

Sorry buddy, I just had my Ford Transit van lose power and it was the bearings in my fan first then it was my diesel injector pump which cost $9000 brand new to replace as they are rare in Australia and $2000 for a recondition one and on once doing this the the engine went into limp mode and when tested at Ford it came up saying nearly 40 things wrong with it. It would have to be the worst vehicle I have bought, but when it was going it was a dream to drive but when something goes wrong make sure you have a big wallet full of cash as Ford Transit parts are not cheap in Australia. If you need parts buy online from England, they are heaps cheaper. I didn’t have the time for that as I run a mobile business and I have since bought a Mercedes Sprinter van which hasn’t missed a beat... Yet... Have a think before you buy one Natalie from Australia

Submitted: 08/01/2013 11:42:46 | ID: 67454

Steve Watson, Surrey

Ford Transit 2008

When l open my Ford Transit`s back doors in winter there is so much condensation, it looks like it has been raining. Does anybody have any ideas what l can do?

You need to line it with carpet and ply it out Darren Brewin from England

Submitted: 08/01/2013 10:18:37 | ID: 67364

Duncan Carrick, Australia

Ford Transit 1997

I have a 1997 turbo diesel automatic transmission long wheel base Ford Transit van. My problem is the van won’t change up into top gear on the highway so the engine revs high. Can anyone shed some light on what may be wrong? Thankyou.

My 1999 van is doing exactly the same. Did you ever find an answer to your problem? Bernard Harries from Australia

Submitted: 07/01/2013 15:07:55 | ID: 67156

Dave Traxler, Essex

Ford Transit 2002

I was driving my Ford Transit when all of a sudden I had no clutch. I pulled over to the side of the road to have a look and fluid was coming from the housing by the gearbox. I put the van into the garage and had a new clutch plate, bearing, new dmf, new slave. They put it all back together but I have no drive. It’s all been bled, there is clutch pressure, it goes into gear fine but won`t pull away. It feels like it`s not engaging and is driving me mad as I don’t know what to try next?

There’s a pump connected to the peddle that goes through the bulk head. Try replacing this; 10 quid from the breakers. They’re common for o-rings going, it’s just like a plunger Ryan from Stirlingshire

Submitted: 07/01/2013 11:47:34 | ID: 67069

Dave, England

Ford Transit 2003

My mechanic snapped the glow plugs on my Ford Transit trying to remove them, so he took the cylinder head off and drilled the plugs out. But after refitting the head he found that he had drilled it incorrectly as there was a lack of pressure and the tappets were knocking, so he had to fit a brand new cylinder head. Is this common or is it his fault for not drilling the old plugs out? Or is it down to me to pay for the new head? Thanks.

It’s the mechanic’s fault, he snapped it, he drilled it incorrectly. Some of the cost is down to him Kev Millard from Hertfordshire

The head should be very hot when trying to remove h/plugs; if cold they will snap ja from Derbyshire

Submitted: 04/01/2013 11:48:19 | ID: 65708

Jiten Mehta, England

Ford Transit 2005

My 2005 model Ford Transit minibus 2.4 runs well when cold but as soon the engine gets warm it starts labouring and struggling for power. I`ve been told it may be the electronics on the fuel pump. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

Hi, most likley the egr valve and inlet manifold. Replace the valve and take inlet of and give it a good clean. Try this cold, save you loads of money Craig from England

Submitted: 04/01/2013 11:01:57 | ID: 66924

Darren Furey, Ayrshire

Ford Transit 2000

Hi all, I have a 2000 swb Ford Transit van and my power steering is gone. When it’s lifted on a jack it turns fine but otherwise it’s like turning a tank! I was running low of PS fluid and it was starting to become difficult to turn so I topped it up and it got worse! Does the wrong fluid affect it?

Absolutely the wrong type fluid will destroy the seals, you will have to at least change the power steering pump. And at worst also may have to change the rack, be sure to completely flush all contaminated steering fluid before replacing parts. Your van uses standard ATF fluid to purge the system with pipes removed turn steering left to right several times whilst jacked up Trev from Dorset

Submitted: 24/12/2012 14:21:36 | ID: 66159

Lee Robinson, Australia

Ford Transit 1999

My Ford Transit won`t start off the key but you can clutch it. The batteries are good. I just parked it at night and in the morning it wouldn`t start off the key. What should I do?

Mine is doing the same. Do u have any lights come on on the dash? i have na on at tall someone told me the igneation switch change that and still wont start can u help me Jake Coy from England

Submitted: 24/12/2012 12:16:39 | ID: 66033