FORD TRANSIT questions and answers: Page 5

FORD Transit

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD TRANSIT models. Help and advice on everything FORD TRANSIT. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD TRANSIT questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

John Atkinson, Northumberland

Ford Transit 2003

Our Ford Transit van belongs to my son and has been standing for about 8 to 9 weeks, but even when connected with the jump leads there is nothing, no lights on the dash or anything. Also the key fob that opens the front as well as the back and side doors isn`t working, but again I don`t know if this is because of a problem with the battery or some other problem because it`s been standing so long. Any ideas please? (85t260)

Submitted: 14/02/2013 09:02:44 | ID: 65675

David Beal, Essex

I have a P reg Ford Transit van and I have to keep jump starting it, it works first time when I do that. I bought a new battery but that didn’t keep it`s power for very long, so I cut the thick negative cable just beside the battery and installed an isolation switch. I switch it off every time I stop somewhere. I did this because I thought that the battery could be draining, but it still did the same thing, insufficient battery power, so I took the battery back and it was renewed. The following morning I thought this could be my lucky day, but alas there was insufficient power. I found that the boy who changed the battery over hadn’t tightened the positive up properly, so I did that today 12th Feb. It was turning the engine over but not with gusto and I thought for a moment that it wouldn’t be able to do it. I was told that it could be the air filter. I`m clutching at straws now but to me it doesn’t look as though it has been taken off for some time. Now I am a bit surprised that the power steering bottle appears to be attached to that. Is it supposed to slide up off the metal and do you think that this could be my problem, as it runs fine in the warmer weather? Any suggesions please?

I had the same problem, new battery in winter would just start it in the morning, once it got going all day it would be fine, summer time no problem, next winter trouble, over a few years a few battery changes and countless RAC guys one told me it was the starter motor, it gets full of dust and crap and when cold the dust gets pretty solid and restricts the turning of the motor a change of motor problem solved. Hope this helps Ray Clark from England

Take off all the leads, and clean them with emery cloth, then reattach same, if it works, then great, but if not check the starter motor leads for wear and chafing. Clean and reattach. Check the earth strap for same. I feel this could be damp realated. Also if it works better in warmer weather, check the oil viscosity. It may be that someone has put in the wrong oil, and in the cold it is harder to pump around and the battery needs more whoomph to turn it over Paul Wigginton from Nottinghamshire

I`ve had the same problem on my smiley. Try renewing the battery terminals, mine had corroded in the soldered terminals, no problems now – Maurice Eilbeck from Essex

Submitted: 12/02/2013 16:18:11 | ID: 90566

William Craddock, Lancashire

Ford Transit 2005

When driving my Ford Transit it suddenly loses power and goes into tickover. I can`t rev it, but if you switch off then back on it will run again. This is happening more and more now. What could it be?

I had a similar thing happen with my tdci Mondeo, which I understand has a similar engine. Try the map sensor to see if it’s working properly. On my Mondeo this was getting damp and shorting out, so I changed the map sensor and wd40’d all round and she runs like a good ’un. It sounds like it’s going into limp mode to me, then resetting when you turn it back on. If not this, then follow the handbook, or of course consult your local diagnostic chap! He’ll tell you straight away! Paul Wigginton from Nottinghamshire

Many thanks for that, but it turned out to be the accelarator pedal William Craddock from Lancashire

Submitted: 11/02/2013 14:05:25 | ID: 63358

Steve Benett, Lancashire

Ford Transit 2000

I am looking to buy a Ford Transit van but it`s being sold as a none runner. Apparently a black box dropped down from the dashboard on the passenger side, then it only ran for 50 yards. Is this simply an immobiliser fault or something more serious?

Submitted: 05/02/2013 10:30:35 | ID: 90228

James Chandler, Essex

Ford Transit 2006

Hi. I’ve been having problems with my 56 plate Ford Transit accelerating. It`s the 2.2 duratorq turbo engine and is showing symptoms of fuel starvation. I recently fitted a new egr valve after problems with idling and that`s when the problems occurred. I have changed the fuel filter but there doesn’t seem to be much fuel getting to the filter to me, looking at the clear bulb at the top of the filter. It won`t accelerate at high revs and sometimes just completely loses power! There`s no smoke or temperature changes, I`m desperate for some advice! Any ideas?

Hi, our Ford Transit 2 litre van is currently in a garage at the moment undergoing repairs with the SAME symptoms as yours! Our van is an 06 plate T350, last model made in Germany. Do you have the glow plug showing when it loses power? So far we have been told either HIGH PRESSURE PUMP FAILURE or FUEL INJECTORS. But advised to test fuel injectors first as the code for high pressure pump reads the same as injectors! Hope this helps Rachel Castle from Wiltshire

Submitted: 31/01/2013 14:17:06 | ID: 90054

Andy T, Lancashire

Ford Transit 2005

I have an immobiliser problem with my 2 litre Ford Transit 125 psi. The red spanner came on and the van will not start not or even turn over. When the ignition is off there is a glow from the fuel gauge which you can only see when it’s dark. I`ve been told it may be a key problem and I will need to take it to Ford. Does anyone have any advice please?

Submitted: 31/01/2013 11:52:36 | ID: 65667

Paul Searle, England

Ford Transit 2001

Hi, my Ford Transit`s ignition key was worn, it dropped out so I was turning the ignition with a screwdriver and holding the key to black rnd immobilser decoder. This was fine and I was too busy to take it to the main dealer. Then wires came out of the green plug that goes into the decoder. An electrical guy said the wires can’t be put back into the green plug, so I cut one off another Transit at the scrapyard and joined them but the immobilser`s still not working. Any ideas please? (2 turbo swb)

Submitted: 24/01/2013 08:59:31 | ID: 89296

Nathan Bates, Wales

Ford Transit 2001

I have a problem with my Ford Transit. Some mornings I start it and it drives fine all day, other mornings I start it, drive to the end of the road and it goes into limp mode and the engine fan comes on. I turn the ignition on and off and it works fine. Other days it keeps happening all day. When it`s running at it`s running temperature it goes into limp mode and the temp is reading cold but the fan still comes on and feels like it`s losing power, when other days it feels fine. What could it be? Thanks.

Submitted: 21/01/2013 09:21:18 | ID: 68095

Richard, County Londonderry

Ford Transit 2003

I bought an 03 Ford Transit 125 t280. When I first start it in the morning it runs rough and is smoky until it warms up. It seems also to be losing power between 2000/3000 revs, the rev counter, temp hand and speedo drop to zero and go on and off quite a bit. If I push the miles reset pin it comes on as wel. Can anyone help me out? Cheers (280t 125)

Submitted: 18/01/2013 12:11:16 | ID: 68016

Elliott Rayner, Australia

Ford Transit 2003

Hi, I`m wanting to know if it is possible to put another engine in my Ford Transit? I have a diesel and a petrol with no working engines. I know I could put a Holden V6 in, but is there another engine that would suit? I read somewhere a Mondeo would fit, if so, would I need to get a conversion kit or would it fit straight in? I plan on towing with it, so want something with a bit of guts behind it. Thanks! (LWB Hight Roof.)

There is a conversion kit for the Holden V6 which many people in Australia use to replace the Transit engines with. Sorry, but I am not sure where you need to go to get this Rob Colligan from Australia

You may find a kit at The Castlemain Rod Shop, They do a lot of conversion kits. Lee Goldring from Australia

Submitted: 14/01/2013 11:14:54 | ID: 59851

Phil Bratt, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 2003

After servicing my diesel Ford Transit it turned over then stopped and I could not get it to run. I called my breakdown who spent 1 hour using 2 cans of wd/easy start sprayed into the air filter, bled the injectors and finally he tried the starter motor great! I fitted a reconditioned starter (3 pin) but it`s still not firing and the immobilisor light on the dash is flashing very fast. I had a diagnostic done which cleared all faults but it`s still not starting. He said it`s gone into hibernation, the key does not recognise the engine and vica versa. Please can anyone help with any suggestions as it has now been 5 weeks off road and I desperately need my Transit? (125 T280)

Submitted: 14/01/2013 10:08:55 | ID: 67748

Charlotte Land, England

Ford Transit 2005

Hi, I recently bought a Ford Transit 100 T280. I am losing power constantly and each time I lose power the engine stalls. It starts again fine every time. The temperature gauge shoots through the roof just before it stalls, I therefore assumed to check the water levels which are fine. It is now blowing a mixture of white and blue smoke and it is quite heavy! Any ideas will be most welcome. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I got t350 lwb. I just had same... fuel pump bosch vp30 or vp44, mines the 30, depends if it your pump or ecu on the top of it. I won’t go in to money, not cheap Steve Donohue from Yorkshire

Had same problem, went to local specialist Patterson Diesel in Cowdenbeath. It was the suction contol valve on diesel pump, under £150.00, fantastic Rosco from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 10/01/2013 12:25:52 | ID: 67588

Neil Schofield, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 1999

My Ford Transit van won’t start and there’s a light that comes on the dash that looks like a diesel pump with three dots round it. My friend says it means there is water in my diesel? Is this true and what can I do to get my van working?

Submitted: 10/01/2013 09:21:46 | ID: 64353

Lloyd Kitchen, Australia

Ford Transit 2002

Hi all. I`m looking at buying a Ford Transit van that is not going. He says that it is because of the injector pump. I need to know worst case scenario, what would a rebuild of the engine cost approximately? Any ideas? (Mid roof MWB)

How about 700 for a pump, rebuild new 1300 Steve Donohue from Yorkshire

Sorry buddy, I just had my Ford Transit van lose power and it was the bearings in my fan first then it was my diesel injector pump which cost $9000 brand new to replace as they are rare in Australia and $2000 for a recondition one and on once doing this the the engine went into limp mode and when tested at Ford it came up saying nearly 40 things wrong with it. It would have to be the worst vehicle I have bought, but when it was going it was a dream to drive but when something goes wrong make sure you have a big wallet full of cash as Ford Transit parts are not cheap in Australia. If you need parts buy online from England, they are heaps cheaper. I didn’t have the time for that as I run a mobile business and I have since bought a Mercedes Sprinter van which hasn’t missed a beat... Yet... Have a think before you buy one Natalie from Australia

Submitted: 08/01/2013 11:42:46 | ID: 67454

Steve Watson, Surrey

Ford Transit 2008

When l open my Ford Transit`s back doors in winter there is so much condensation, it looks like it has been raining. Does anybody have any ideas what l can do?

You need to line it with carpet and ply it out Darren Brewin from England

Submitted: 08/01/2013 10:18:37 | ID: 67364

Duncan Carrick, Australia

Ford Transit 1997

I have a 1997 turbo diesel automatic transmission long wheel base Ford Transit van. My problem is the van won’t change up into top gear on the highway so the engine revs high. Can anyone shed some light on what may be wrong? Thankyou.

My 1999 van is doing exactly the same. Did you ever find an answer to your problem? Bernard Harries from Australia

Submitted: 07/01/2013 15:07:55 | ID: 67156

Dave Traxler, Essex

Ford Transit 2002

I was driving my Ford Transit when all of a sudden I had no clutch. I pulled over to the side of the road to have a look and fluid was coming from the housing by the gearbox. I put the van into the garage and had a new clutch plate, bearing, new dmf, new slave. They put it all back together but I have no drive. It’s all been bled, there is clutch pressure, it goes into gear fine but won`t pull away. It feels like it`s not engaging and is driving me mad as I don’t know what to try next?

There’s a pump connected to the peddle that goes through the bulk head. Try replacing this; 10 quid from the breakers. They’re common for o-rings going, it’s just like a plunger Ryan from Stirlingshire

Submitted: 07/01/2013 11:47:34 | ID: 67069

Dave, England

Ford Transit 2003

My mechanic snapped the glow plugs on my Ford Transit trying to remove them, so he took the cylinder head off and drilled the plugs out. But after refitting the head he found that he had drilled it incorrectly as there was a lack of pressure and the tappets were knocking, so he had to fit a brand new cylinder head. Is this common or is it his fault for not drilling the old plugs out? Or is it down to me to pay for the new head? Thanks.

It’s the mechanic’s fault, he snapped it, he drilled it incorrectly. Some of the cost is down to him Kev Millard from Hertfordshire

The head should be very hot when trying to remove h/plugs; if cold they will snap ja from Derbyshire

Submitted: 04/01/2013 11:48:19 | ID: 65708

Jiten Mehta, England

Ford Transit 2005

My 2005 model Ford Transit minibus 2.4 runs well when cold but as soon the engine gets warm it starts labouring and struggling for power. I`ve been told it may be the electronics on the fuel pump. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

Hi, most likley the egr valve and inlet manifold. Replace the valve and take inlet of and give it a good clean. Try this cold, save you loads of money Craig from England

Submitted: 04/01/2013 11:01:57 | ID: 66924

Darren Furey, Ayrshire

Ford Transit 2000

Hi all, I have a 2000 swb Ford Transit van and my power steering is gone. When it’s lifted on a jack it turns fine but otherwise it’s like turning a tank! I was running low of PS fluid and it was starting to become difficult to turn so I topped it up and it got worse! Does the wrong fluid affect it?

Absolutely the wrong type fluid will destroy the seals, you will have to at least change the power steering pump. And at worst also may have to change the rack, be sure to completely flush all contaminated steering fluid before replacing parts. Your van uses standard ATF fluid to purge the system with pipes removed turn steering left to right several times whilst jacked up Trev from Dorset

Submitted: 24/12/2012 14:21:36 | ID: 66159

Lee Robinson, Australia

Ford Transit 1999

My Ford Transit won`t start off the key but you can clutch it. The batteries are good. I just parked it at night and in the morning it wouldn`t start off the key. What should I do?

Mine is doing the same. Do u have any lights come on on the dash? i have na on at tall someone told me the igneation switch change that and still wont start can u help me Jake Coy from England

Submitted: 24/12/2012 12:16:39 | ID: 66033

Scott Crockatt, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Ford Transit 2004

Hi, I`ve got a 2004 Ford Transit jumbo and the brakes are sticking on but when you open the bleed nipple they release. I`ve changed the front flexi hoses and the master cylinder. Does anybody know what it my be? (jumbo)

Submitted: 17/12/2012 10:46:11 | ID: 65603

Sue, Isle of Anglesey

My Ford Transit starts perfectly every morning, but if you go back to it after a few hours, nothing. If it`s towed or jump started I can get home, leave it for 12 hours and then it will start perfectly again. What’s draining the battery when it’s running? (2010)

Mine did the same as that where the bat cables are. It has little black box on it it will cut power to everthing. Check this and the starter motor drains power too as I had to fix mine. Power started going first then starter I had one starter for to days and it drained power. Try anyway mate, I did, my van runs good now Phill from New Zealand

Submitted: 17/12/2012 09:12:18 | ID: 65566

Len Peirce, Wiltshire

Ford Transit 2004

Hi. My Ford Transit 85 T280 starts on the button but runs roughly and smokes a lot which smells of diesel, I have tried swapping the injectors but still the same. I have since had a diagnostic check done which brought up 2 faults, P1665 ( Injection Pump Control Module Communications) and P1664 ( Injection Pump Control malfunction). Could anyone please tell me what I need to do to remedy these faults ie is a new fuel pump needed? Regards. (85 T280)

I would hazard a guess that it is either the control module on the rear of the fuel pump (its a solenoid valve that I think can be replaced) or most likely it will be one or all of the injectors that has seized or is sticky and the fuel pressure is leaking back down the return which will give a fault of "low fuel pressure". I would get the injectors flow tested in situ and see if its them, should take 30 mins and will not cost a lot. Usually you can just replace the injector, if they are the Delphi ones they can be anything from £180 for recon ones or £250+ for new!! Then they have to be "coded" to the ECU. I had to have 4 delphi injectors replaced and coded and it cost me just under a grand!! Jeremy Scott from Northamptonshire

Expensive Christopher Lee from England

Submitted: 11/12/2012 16:16:01 | ID: 64994

Afthab Sharafudeen, Australia

Ford Transit 2007

I want to fix my Ford Transit`s reverse sensor, but I don’t know the reverse light supply wire. Can anyone help me with a Ford Transit van circuit diagram?

Hi there, I saw on another site that the reversing sensor may be the problem. It is on the gearbox and by the look of the pictures it appears to be on the extention housing at the back. Have a look on www.motorhomefun.co.uk/attachments/ford9532d1314521545-transit-reverse-lam... Roger Peyton-Smth from Australia

Submitted: 11/12/2012 15:31:18 | ID: 64934

Stephen Carroll, Cheshire

Ford Transit 1997

I have a 1997 2.5 ltr Ford Transit and the engine runs at normal temperature and the blower works well but no heat is entering the cab. Any suggestions?

Submitted: 06/12/2012 11:52:33 | ID: 64517

Lee Robinson, Durham

Ford Transit 2009

Hi guys. I have a Ford Transit 09 mwb hr. When I reverse it makes a low whistling noise. This also happens when I turn a corner, but it doesn`t happen all the time, I would say about 50% of the time. The van has 19,000 miles on it. It`s as if something sounds dry, if that makes any sense? Any ideas?

U all right mate, it sound as your gear box is on the way out or one of your drive shafts Jake Coy from England

Submitted: 06/12/2012 09:04:41 | ID: 64445

Steve, England

Ford Transit 2000

Hi, I need some help with a mk6 Ford Transit front crankshaft oil seal. How do I fit it? Do I need to take off the timing chain cover? I tried to put it on but it would not sit flush to lock in place. Suggestions please?

Submitted: 03/12/2012 14:24:54 | ID: 64212

Mark Nugent, Northumberland

Ford Transit 2004

My Ford Transit won`t start in cold weather. I have to take my van to charge the battery, but if it`s left standing a day or so it won`t start. Any help please?

Submitted: 03/12/2012 14:08:06 | ID: 64190

Louise Cuthbertson, England

Ford Transit 2003

I have a Ford Transit 2003 model 280. When I put my foot on the brake the dash lights come on, with no keys in the ignition. When I brake my brake lights don’t come on anymore. What`s wrong?

I had a similar problem, check the bulbs in the rear, making sure they are correctly fitted. Look closely Mike Rickman from Hampshire

Submitted: 29/11/2012 11:44:02 | ID: 63623

Derek, Essex

Ford Transit 2008

Hi. I have a whistly sort of noise that appears to be coming from the heater fan in my 08 2.2 Ford Transit. If I turn right, it stops until I straighten up again. Before I attempt to get at the motor, does anyone know if the cure is likely to be a new motor, or could there just be something that needs tightening up? Thanks.

Submitted: 29/11/2012 09:30:10 | ID: 63584

Tom Murphy, Northumberland

Ford Transit 2003

Hi. I have a Ford Transit long wheel base motorhome. It`s immobiliser light on the dash is flashing after switching on. The engine`s turning well and fuel to the injectors looks good but it will not fire up on it`s own without any easy start. Could this be a fault on the key fob? There`s fuel to the top of the injector but it appears not to be going through the injectors and attomising Als. Could glow plugs be at fault as, when the ignition`s switched on, the glow plug light goes out immediately? Thanks.

Hello, I have the same problem, have you fixed it, if so would you please let me know? garethrobinson1989@gmail.com Gareth Robinson from Yorkshire

Submitted: 27/11/2012 10:19:38 | ID: 63527

Michael Scriven, Leicestershire

Ford Transit 2005

I had a new fuel pump fitted to my Ford Transit and the mechanic did not use a new chain kit so could it be possible to lift the engine head and what could it do to the tension on it? Is there any knock-on effect of not fitting the fuel pump right? (lwb 2.4cc)

Submitted: 26/11/2012 09:49:29 | ID: 61954

Vincent Hancock, Durham

Ford Transit 1991

What does it mean when my Ford Transit`s headlights go dim whenever I turn another electrical device on inside the van such as the heater or radio?

It means the hidro confabulator is on its way out, usually caused by the prefix deligator on the stand alone fuel management system. Either replace the confabulator with a remit triple gague perpitisor or take it to fords for a total ecu programme remap Straight talkin Shaun from England

You probably just have a bad earth or the headlight relay is weak. Slaash from England

Submitted: 22/11/2012 09:16:10 | ID: 59854

Steve Bevan, Neath Port Talbot

Ford Transit 2001

steve bevan from Neath Port Talbot has sent in a question on the Ford Transit. I am replacing the passenger side rear bulb holder on my 2001 Ford Transit panel van because of corrosion of the circuit board. However, the connector block that supplies the power to the lights is also the same as the new holder. I want to replace that connector but have no idea what it`s called or where I can get one. Can anyone help? (panel van)

Submitted: 20/11/2012 08:39:06 | ID: 55301

Nigel Carey, Cambridgeshire

Ford Transit 2005

Why does my Ford Transit 2005 2.4 diesel only start on the third or fourth time if it is left for a few hours/overnight? The glow plug light flashes when cranking over. Last year I replaced the fuel pump/fuel lines/leak off pipes/filter housing/battery/glow plugs/crank sensor/cylinder head temperature sensor/starter motor/ timing chain and tensioners. The van has done 170,000 miles. Garages can`t seem to agree, even with diagnostic scans. Also the van is noisy when first started, like an old diesel, but runs quietly when warm. Any ideas please? (2.4 diesel)

Timing chain tensioner is knackered and is relaxing when the van is left which in turn is altering pump timing when trying to start until oil pressure rises and refills chain tensioner taking up any slack in the chain Colin from England

Submitted: 05/11/2012 09:03:25 | ID: 65259

David Bell, England

Ford Transit 2002

My Ford Transit van has lost power and is getting hard to start. There is a little bit of black smoke from the exhaust but not excessive. What should I do? (100 t280 2ltr duratorq)

That sounds like blown turbo but I’m no expert Steve from Neath Port Talbot

Egr knackered Colin from England

Try checking for split vacuum pipes first as this will make it blow black smoke bad and lose power Wayne MCC from Merthyr Tydfil

Submitted: 01/11/2012 12:44:50 | ID: 89428

Anthony Cameron, Dorset

Ford Transit 1995

How do I remove the heater/fan control on the dashboard of my Ford Transit in order to replace the night illumination lights, as it appears the lights have blown? Thank you. (80 SWB)

Submitted: 30/10/2012 16:33:51 | ID: 89279

Ray, Kent

Ford Transit 2004

My Ford Transit van suddenly stops. It can start but cuts out when revved. It runs okay then suddenly cuts out again. I`ve checked all fuses, fuel - is there a diagnostic plug in on these vehicles? Thanks. (2.0 litre turbo diesel)

Submitted: 30/10/2012 12:57:47 | ID: 89183

Stephen Kelly, Cheshire

Ford Transit 2007

Hi. I`m fitting a fan belt on my Ford Transit T280 57 reg and wanted to know does anyone know how to do it? I`ve got the old one off but can`t seem to get the new one to go on. Can anyone help?

Hi. To the bottom left of where your belt goes there is a pulley that is the tensioner, it’s the one without the grooves, you need a socket and ratchet. Turn either way to take slack up or release Steve Deam from England

Submitted: 26/10/2012 12:01:11 | ID: 66845