FORD TRANSIT questions and answers

FORD Transit

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD TRANSIT models. Help and advice on everything FORD TRANSIT. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD TRANSIT questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Paul Davies, England

Ford Transit 2008

My Ford Transit has a clicking noise coming from the front wheel. Can anybody help please?

CV joint on the drive shaft. leigh bennett from Cardiff

Submitted: 07/04/2014 09:48:57 | ID: 93565

Theo Todorov, Australia

Ford Transit 1997

I have a Ford Transit and I had one battery replaced on the right side by a local battery supplier. After replacement the engine management light came on and now stays on and the car is in limp mode. Is it possible that, after testing with the old battery still connected and checking the dump current of the battery, that the engine management unit has been damaged? How can I check this please?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 12:03:20 | ID: 94015

Gordon Ganley, England

Ford Transit 2006

I had a rear shunt and got pushed into a car causing damage to the front, now I seem to be filling water tank up all the time any ideas?

Submitted: 26/03/2014 15:21:59 | ID: 93610

Ian Mcdonnell, Cheshire

Ford Transit 2003

My Ford Transit`s speedo and rev counter keep stopping. I`ve seen two fuses under the dash which are okay. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 24/03/2014 09:33:09 | ID: 60054

James Hyams, England

Ford Transit 2004

Hello there. How do I refill my Ford Transit 54 plate battery. Does anyone out there know?

Submitted: 20/03/2014 14:12:50 | ID: 63086

Robert Clements, Dumfriesshire

Ford Transit 2002

The indicators on my 02 Ford Transit keep coming on intermittently, even when stationary and with the ignition switched off. Sometimes they start flashing in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. Any ideas?

Submitted: 14/03/2014 16:24:11 | ID: 62863

Graham Papworth, Huntingdonshire

Ford Transit 2006

My Ford Transit`s engine races when running after 20minutes. If I stop at a junction it still races up to 1500 rpm, I can switch off and then start again and it`s normal. Then 20 to 30 minutes later it races again. All filters have been changed. Any ideas please? ( jumbo)

Submitted: 14/03/2014 14:34:22 | ID: 62854

Robert Rowsell, West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Ford Transit 1998

My Ford Transit starts and drives okay for a short time then loses power, then after 3/4 minutes picks up again. I have put injector cleaner in a few times when filling up but it still does the same thing. Can anyone give me an idea as to what could be the problem?

Submitted: 07/03/2014 15:55:49 | ID: 62626

Wez, Worcestershire

Ford Transit 2004

Hi. I have got a 2.4 Ford Transit crewcab pickup. I was driving down the motorway at 60mph and it died on me. I pulled up and tried to start it again and it would not start. I have towed it trying to get it to start but it will not start. I had it plugged in and it said relay mechanical fault. What does this mean, please help?

Submitted: 27/02/2014 10:35:39 | ID: 62390

Gary White, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 2005

I had the diesel filter changed on my Ford Transit but it still cuts out when I accelerate. I was told to put injector cleaner in but it won’t start at all now. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks.

Submitted: 27/02/2014 09:48:05 | ID: 62333

Dougie Craig, Argyllshire

Ford Transit 2006

My Ford Transit takes a while to start and is smoky when first started but seems okay after 5 minutes. I also seem to lose power at 3000 revs in every gear. I`ve changed the air and fuel filters. Does anybody know what`s wrong?

Not an answer, but mine has same problem, taking a while to start and white smoke, but fine once it’s warm with no loss of power. If there is a loss of power it must be minimal because haven’t noticed, so let me know if you get answer. Kay from England

Submitted: 18/02/2014 10:37:26 | ID: 62138

Matt Hollis, Bedfordshire

Ford Transit 2006

I have an 06 Ford Transit lwb and sometimes the accelerator slowly rises to 1200 rpm on its own and stays there, running on high revs in neutral. It corrects itself once I’ve turned the engine off and on again. What is the matter with it and what do I need to do to fix it? Please help!

Go to your Ford dealer and get them to put it on the computer. Sometimes the throttle pedal can be at fault. Bob from Northern Ireland

Submitted: 18/02/2014 10:22:37 | ID: 62136

Anthony Cameron, Dorset

Ford Transit 2002

My Ford Transit van has developed a jerking motion when accelerating and cruising which seems almost like a fuel starvation or misfire. It started after I had refuelled and then I used a solution of Redex fuel cleaner which resolved it. Since I have added more fuel and used Redex again the problem has started again. The engine does not seem to lack power but just causes the van to jerk. Is this a fuel injector problem or is it something more sinister? The engine has no problems starting and idling. I would be grateful for any assistance/suggestions? Thank you. (T260)

Hello. This is not an answer but I have the same problem in mine since yesterday after refuelling, there is loss of power and white smoke, please can you let me know when you find the answer. Daniel Garwe from England

Remove and clean EGR valve or replace. Martin Jones from Essex

Submitted: 14/02/2014 11:16:38 | ID: 62103

Sharon Smith, England

Ford Transit 2005

Hi. My Ford Transit van’s been driving fine without any problems. I went out today and on the way back with no warning the temperature gauge went into the red and the van stopped. I started it straight back up and drove it back home fine. What could have caused this?

The splines are worn in the water pump so it’s only partially efficient. Rosie from Herefordshire

Submitted: 11/02/2014 14:48:13 | ID: 62016

Dan North, England

Ford Transit 2011

I have a Ford Transit 85 t260 swb. After I fully locked the van the speedo pod light for the mileage fuel consumption stays on for at least 10 or 20 minutes longer than I can wait. Any ideas people?

It’s meant to mate, I’m a mechanic and own the same van. Karl Parfitt from Berkshire

Submitted: 06/02/2014 11:50:16 | ID: 61775

Sid, England

Ford Transit 2008

Hi. I have a 2008 Ford Transit van which will not start up on the key. It will turn over sometimes but sometimes the dash lights will flash on and off. The van will start with a tow but after started and ticking over for about 10 minutes it just turns off. Has this happened to anyone?

Same fault on an 07 with 175000 miles on it. Cured problem by changing timing chain and guides. Fiveways Garage from Lancashire

Submitted: 03/02/2014 14:24:08 | ID: 61642

Declan Maquire, Ireland

Ford Transit 2002

I need help, mine won’t start and it just passed the NCT test so what could it be?

Submitted: 01/02/2014 23:18:03 | ID: 56131

Peter Walker, New Zealand

Ford Transit 2005

My Ford Transit auto is a campervan and my question relates to the changing down behaviour when the engine is under load when going down hill. At some point of load the box changes down and a short blip of engine rev increase happens when there is no load on the accelerator pedal. It sounds just like the double-de-clutch process on a manual change box on a heavy truck. Can anyone tell me how this happens and is it normal for the Transit auto to do this? Many thanks.

Submitted: 24/01/2014 10:08:42 | ID: 61320

Luke Cross, England

Ford Transit 2004

Hi, when I put my Ford Transit van in gear and go to start off it starts moving but then sounds like something pops out and starts rattling, but it still drives and is fine in reverse. It’s a 2.0 100bhp front wheel drive. Any ideas?

Submitted: 21/01/2014 14:56:07 | ID: 61228

George Barrow, England

Ford Transit 2001

Hi. I was driving down the road when I heard a whining noise from the front of my Ford Transit van. I jacked up both sides and I span the wheels, when I did it slowly no noise but when I did it fast it made a clicking noise. What do you think it could be please? (2.0)

Submitted: 21/01/2014 10:02:17 | ID: 60887

Edward Moore, County Antrim

Ford Transit 2004

I`m getting engine oil in my Ford Transit`s brake servo which is destroying the servo when the servo pump causes a vacuum. Why is this happening? (short wheel base front wheel drive)

Submitted: 17/01/2014 15:29:16 | ID: 60872

Leslie Mitchell, Norfolk

Ford Transit 2007

My Ford Transit has had another engine fitted. How do you transfer the mileage to the dashboard?

You don’t normally. The car/van has done the mileage and not just the engine. Normally a note is made in the vehicles service book that engine was replaced at x miles. The only people that can do it is mileage correction companies although not strictly a legal practice and will raise questions if sold and mileage on van and mot dont tally. - Martin (Master technician 20+ years) Anonymous from

Submitted: 17/01/2014 10:18:25 | ID: 60831

White, Scotland

Ford Transit 2006

Hi. I have an 06 mk6 Ford Transit. I have just had a new clutch kit put in and the gearbox tower selector serviced and a new grey gear cable and master cylinder. My problem is when I start the engine I get all gears fine but when I start to drive the gears are really hard to select, especially second. When the van has warmed up the gears are a lot better. When I drive very slowly in first gear and then push the clutch down and try and pull it out of gear it`s like it doesn`t want to come out, I have got to tug it, but if it`s stationary it`s easy. I don`t know what the problem is. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Possibly not a genuine Ford clutch fitted or friction plate fitted the wrong way round? Clutch slave cylinder needs bleeding? Also, it could be the wrong type of oil put in the gearbox if it was drained. Gordon Streeter from Kent

Submitted: 14/01/2014 10:17:59 | ID: 60710

Peter Davy, Gloucestershire

Ford Transit 2004

I have just aquired a 2004 Ford Transit 260 swb panel van. I cannot work out how to adjust the clock that is set up in the rev counter face. I can alter it to 24 or 12 hr but cannot put the time right. Does anyone know how?

There are two buttons, press and hold the one on the left for few seconds then the minutes will start flashing and use the button on the right to change the minutes. When finished press the button on left again and it will start to flash again, then used the one on the right to change the hours. When finished just leave it alone and will go back to normal. Andy Nellie from Middlesex

Submitted: 10/01/2014 12:31:37 | ID: 60578

Steve Rolfe, Bedfordshire

Ford Transit 2007

I have a water in fuel detected warning come up on the dash of my Ford Transit. Can anyone help with an answer please?

The diesel filter needs the water draining out which is normal, there is a small tap under the filter and you drain it until you just get diesel coming out. Be careful though as you can induce an air lock and they can be a bitch to start up unless bled through. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 10/01/2014 11:42:01 | ID: 60561

Ian Foster, Durham

Ford Transit 2002

Hi there. On my Ford Transit the noise when you open the door when the lights are left on stopped working a while ago. Now all of a sudden that noise comes on really loud when I put my lights on, but stays on constantly while driving. Please can anybody help?

Submitted: 10/01/2014 11:39:58 | ID: 60560

Bill Poland, Cheshire

Ford Transit 2003

Still having problems with misfiring on the LPG side. It went in to the garage and got a new plug coil, but it’s still misfiring. It runs fine on petrol. I wanted the plugs changed, but the garage said they may snap and then the head would have to come off? Is there any advice out there? Thanks.

Submitted: 09/01/2014 17:47:29 | ID: 60513

Gareth Horton, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 2003

My 2003 Ford Transit`s headlight switch makes a beeping noise when I turn on the headlights, it`s not the noise when you open doors it`s a different one. I put a different switch on but after around 15 minutes of using the lights the beeping started again. It`s driving me crazy, please can anyone help? (swb 2.0 duratorq)

Submitted: 09/01/2014 10:54:35 | ID: 60477

Finn Mays, Hertfordshire

Ford Transit 2007

Hi. I`ve just had a new egr valve fitted to my 2007 Ford Transit 3 days ago. It was running lumpy yesterday, now I`m getting the yellow engine warning lamp on the dash and it`s running in limp mode! Can anyone advise please before I take it back to the garage?

Submitted: 07/01/2014 11:36:41 | ID: 60370

Sharon Smith, England

Ford Transit 2005

My Ford Transit van started fine, I went up the road and it cut out on me. I tried a few times to start it but nothing, then it started. Does anyone know what it couid be as it`s never done this before? Many thanks.

Submitted: 07/01/2014 10:12:38 | ID: 60368

Kevin Linehan, Essex

Ford Transit 2008

What gearbox oil does a Ford Transit mk 7 2008 use please? (Mk 7)

EP75W90 Semi synthetic. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 31/12/2013 14:23:22 | ID: 59789

Tan Shah, London

Ford Transit 2005

I have had issues with my Ford Transit for the last couple of months. About 2 months ago I changed the gearbox and from that time I`ve had a problem with it losing power. If my van is loaded and goes uphill it loses power, if on 60 mps it drops to 35-40mps, then I need to change gear on 3rd. When I drive on the normal road it picks up power again. Is there anybody who can tell me what the problem is? (lwb 120 ps)

Submitted: 30/12/2013 11:09:51 | ID: 58855

Matty Stead, England

Ford Transit 2002

Hi, I`m hoping someone can shed some light on this. I have a 2002 Ford Transit lwb, 90psi van. I`ll be driving it and suddenly you can feel it slump in speed. I flick the ignition key and it flies nicely again. Sometimes this happens quite often during a drive, sometimes it`s gone all nightshift without doing it once. There are no tell tale signs of anything going in the engine and I`ve had it checked out by several mechanics who seem to stand there, scratching their heads! It basically feels like it`s going into limp mode but there isn`t a warning light flashing!! Please help as it`s a good van other then this annoying problem?

I had the same prob in mine. Try disconnecting the vacuum hoses off the EGR valve and plugging it aswell as the similar valve next to it that blocks off your intake. Regan from New Zealand

Submitted: 20/12/2013 10:47:38 | ID: 59539

Steve Kelly, Cheshire

Ford Transit 1989

I have a Ford Transit 100. What is the measure for automatic transmission fluid In a C3 automatic transmission? (Automatic)

Submitted: 10/12/2013 09:46:00 | ID: 56403

Steve Rouhan, Essex

Ford Transit 2006

Hi, I have an 06 Ford Transit lwb 90 350 h top and my fan does not work in any position. I’ve looked at fuses and they look okay. Is it the heater fan switch?

Submitted: 26/11/2013 11:51:16 | ID: 58637

Alan Lewis, England

Ford Transit 2001

Hi. My Ford Transit died on me on the way to work so I got it recovered to a garage who told me the air filter has got wet, broken up and gone into the engine. They stripped down the turbo and inlet manifold and outlet and got most of it out but now it won’t start on the key. It will start on a tow but won’t rev up. They say bits are trapped in the engine and they cannot do anymore, so it`s been recovered to another garage who say it`s an electric problem, it`s my fuel pump. Would it start at all if the pump was gone or are they trying to pull a fast one? Has anyone had this problem?

Submitted: 21/11/2013 10:58:16 | ID: 58112

Barry Powell, Devon

Ford Transit 2005

Can I repair my Ford Transit`s starting ring without removing the gearbox?

Submitted: 18/11/2013 14:22:54 | ID: 57974

Garry Brookes, England

Ford Transit 2003

Where is the start charge relay on my Ford Transit van?

Submitted: 12/11/2013 12:44:04 | ID: 57688

Michael Glenn, Nottinghamshire

Ford Transit 1993

How much antifreeze do you put in a 1993 2.5 Ford Transit diesel?

Submitted: 12/11/2013 12:42:44 | ID: 53253

Phil Crowther, Gloucestershire

Ford Transit 1999

I think I have blown the main fuse in my Ford Transit. Where is it? (2,5 diesel)

Submitted: 07/11/2013 12:20:05 | ID: 74450