FORD TRANSIT questions and answers

FORD Transit

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD TRANSIT models. Help and advice on everything FORD TRANSIT. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD TRANSIT questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Neill Mitchell, Devon

Can someone tell me how to get at the Reversing Light Switch on the gearbox of my RWD 2007 Duratorq 140 BHP Diesel manual Ford Transit? Can I replace it without taking the gearbox out? It appears to be on the top of the gearbox from what I can see from underneath the vehicle but is not accessible from there.

Submitted: 19/03/2015 14:30:11 | ID: 113546

Liam connolly, Fife

Just had breakpads and discs changed on front of 2002 transit,but on left wheel its heating up very hot with burning metal smell and only this wheel that does this,can you please help me solve my problem ??

Submitted: 18/03/2015 12:00:30 | ID: 113479

tony, City of Glasgow

Hi, my Transit van 280 2005 starts up but won`t rev up. Any help out there?

Submitted: 16/03/2015 19:14:45 | ID: 113417

CHRIS DUTCH, Surrey

Would the water pump be classed as part of the engine

Submitted: 13/03/2015 16:49:51 | ID: 113268

Peter Torode, Cambodia

Hi, what is the torque setting for the headbolts on a 2005 2.0 Duratorque fwd SWB? Many thanks

Submitted: 13/03/2015 13:38:56 | ID: 113258

gary, Hampshire

My Transit suddenly got noisy then went quiet then got noisy again. I`ve been told it was my diesel pump, is that possible?

Submitted: 12/03/2015 22:32:40 | ID: 113238

Jim, Greater London

Recently been having several attempts to get reverse gear. Sometimes goes in 1st go but increasingly 3-4 attempts. Sometimes just hear cogs spinning as I try but eventually it goes in after several tries with the clutch. Is this a clutch problem as it doesn't happen on any forward gears or something more serious ? Some advice would be helpful before I try Fords & hear the inevitable " sorry it's bad news".

Submitted: 12/03/2015 17:01:59 | ID: 113220

Patrick Edgar, County Londonderry

I have a 1993 diesel ford transit crew bus, dashboard display not working, nothing showing at all ,wires are all live. anyone no were I can buy a replacement or how to fix it

Submitted: 12/03/2015 11:20:05 | ID: 113197

tony, City of Glasgow

hi I have transit 280 05 the van starts up but wont rev did this before turned it off and back on it was fine but not now its diesel any one no whats going on with it

Submitted: 11/03/2015 00:11:18 | ID: 113127

Mark, East Riding of Yorkshire

Van loses power in wet weather, still runs but accelerates slowly and won't rev over 3000. Definitely connected to wet weather and smokes a lot on starting the next morning (diesel smoke).

Submitted: 10/03/2015 08:10:32 | ID: 113076

paultibble88&gmail.com, South Yorkshire

Losing power at high revs?

Submitted: 09/03/2015 07:38:47 | ID: 113023

brian, Lancashire

hi need help! I have ford duetto 2.5 diesel campervan having problem selecting 1st gear when stopped any ideas?

Submitted: 04/03/2015 14:40:48 | ID: 112738

alex, Surrey

FORD TRANSIT T350 OPENBACKED POWER FAILURE & WHEN I HAVE TRIED TOO START THE ENGINE IT MAKES A TICKING NOISE AND ALL THE DASHBOARD GAUGES TICK BACK AND REVERSE. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?

Submitted: 28/02/2015 19:31:52 | ID: 112506

frank mc farlane, Fife

van stops running on tick over k

Submitted: 28/02/2015 11:55:35 | ID: 112478

paul galley, Lancashire

hello, last month I called out breakdown services. when they came out my van would not start so they put breakleaner or something flammable into the air intake . it still would not start and I was told I was going to be relayed . when the relay guy turned up he also wanted to persist on using this substance ,they did this a lot. the van eventually started but was smoking and didn't sound right. can you tell me if spraying this stuff into my diesel engine could crack the cam carrier

Submitted: 24/02/2015 18:10:33 | ID: 112263

daniel jones, Cardiff

Hi, I`ve got 85psi Transit van, the lights blew on me the other day so did the miles clock, interior lights. I changed the bulbs and fuse and all working apart from the miles not showing on the clock?

Submitted: 23/02/2015 20:58:45 | ID: 112211

tony, Ireland

I have green dot injectors and 70 psi in my 1997 Transit. Can I put in red dot injectors and would thay give me more power?

Submitted: 19/02/2015 02:38:06 | ID: 111857

tony, Ireland

I just changed my gear box oil or transmission oil and now I can`t change from third to second, it gets better when it heats up. The gear change works fine if it is not moving. Can you help please?

Submitted: 19/02/2015 02:34:09 | ID: 111856

akira, Singapore

I have a Ford Transit 2000-2006 year 300 LWB diesel. The engine is running well and all is normal but the engine will automatically stop anytime when I`m driving. After the engine automatically stops the glow plugs signal comes on, I restart again and all comes normal again, but it always happens. Can anyone help?

Hi I have an 06 swb transit and mine did the same had to get a new fuel pump Mark from Lancashire

Submitted: 16/02/2015 14:11:21 | ID: 111653

Charles Brown, Fife and Kinross Shires

I have a Transit Tipper 90 lwb 2006. When I put my tipping unit up it works with no ease at all but on its way down it stops within 12 beeps, then I have to reset and so on all the way down. Any ideas? I wasn't sure what model on your graph so picked any, sorry.

Submitted: 15/02/2015 23:17:26 | ID: 111619

mike, Cheshire

Hi. I have a 08 transit tourneo. Should the cooling fans kick in as soon as i start the engine or only when its up to temperature. The problem i am having is its getting back pressure in the header tank. When i start the van the fans dont kick in but if i unplug them and then plug back in they come on.

Submitted: 09/02/2015 19:02:19 | ID: 111214

Fabio valenza, Shropshire

Hi I have a ford transit tipper on a 07 plate Problem I am having is when driving on the motorway she suddenly looses power but when I switch it on and off again she is fine Can u help

Submitted: 09/02/2015 16:48:51 | ID: 111207

Masom84, Cornwall

I have a Ford Transit 03-2003 plate tipper lwb. The gearstick really vibrates, you can hear it's off the radio. I was wondering if you could answer my question and tell me why it does this and what I can do to stop it happening? If anyone can answer my question or let me know how to solve/fix the problem? Thanks.

Submitted: 08/02/2015 22:39:31 | ID: 111159

helen sewell, Durham

Hi, my van was in 4th gear and just cut out. Now wont restart - any ideas as to what the problem is? Thanks, Helen

Submitted: 23/01/2015 17:09:28 | ID: 110185

john, East Dunbartonshire

I put about 3 litres of 5/30 diesel engine oil in my van instead of 10/30 oil. I ran the van down to Chester and back and now after I started the van a bad noise came from the engine and it cut out. Now it won`t start. Would putting this oil in cause damage?

If it is a mk6 you should use 5w30 semi synthetic, if it is a mk7 (2006 on) you should use 5w30 fully synthetic you shouldn't be using 10w30 oil at all. Nick from Highland

Submitted: 20/01/2015 12:27:49 | ID: 109923

Steve, Kent

Won't start on cold mornings, have to jump start then it fires up straightaway with a cloud of white smoke for 30 seconds. Once I`ve got it running and turn it off it will start first time all day long until the following frosty morning?

Submitted: 19/01/2015 14:40:21 | ID: 109861

Dave, New Zealand

Hi there. Driving along at 60mph in 5th gear up a slight incline, the van felt like either the clutch was slipping or we were running over something on the road (neither was happening), then up the next slight hill something went crack and I lost 5th gear completely. Motor revs out. . . The other gears are fine. This is an import from the UK 2.2 diesel with 17,500 miles on it?

Mine was doing the same thing, only in 5th gear. Ford Australia are saying "it never happens" and look like they're gonna try pinning it on me. If you want or need another case to present to Ford NZ then contact me frasers at iinet dot net dot au. Leigh from Australia

Submitted: 18/01/2015 04:20:21 | ID: 109755

adam, Hampshire

my 2007 fotd transit truck will only go in 3rd and 4th gear what is the problem

Could be selector bearing in the turret on top of gearbox seized, may free off with WD 40 but will need replacing if it is the problem. Nick from Highland

Submitted: 17/01/2015 19:39:53 | ID: 109743

Anthony, Cheshire

my 08 transit runs lumpy on tick over and when cold it takes abit to fire up

May require a new SCV and PCM update at fords, PRV may have popped too. Nick from Highland

Submitted: 17/01/2015 09:37:22 | ID: 109706

Anthony, Cheshire

Hi my transit is lumpy on tick over and when cold take abit to start up with some smoke coming out but when it's starts up the smoke gos plz help

Submitted: 17/01/2015 09:35:14 | ID: 109705

paul galley, Lancashire

Two weeks ago my van would not start so I called out recovery. The first person used easy start to try to get my van going but couldn't start it. I was then told a second recovery person was being sent and to be relayed to the nearest garage. When the second man turned up he also persisted to use easy start until my van started. When my van did start it had grey smoke coming out. I have since been relayed to a garage where they have changed the fuel pump and found two cracks in the cylinder head. Can anyone tell me if easy start and the recovery person are at fault?

Submitted: 15/01/2015 22:29:10 | ID: 109638

aaron, West Midlands

Where exactly is the earth strap from engine to body? I have looked hard so a really good description would be most appreciated thank you

From Gearbox/starter to chassis leg. Nick from Highland

Submitted: 15/01/2015 19:47:32 | ID: 109620

wayne, Essex

Evry time i put my breaks on my headlights are coming on please help

Submitted: 13/01/2015 12:24:58 | ID: 109459

Chris, Bridgend

Ford transit 2.5di changed my engin and pump and put my old pump back with the New engin coil light don't work and engin don't start eny idea plz checked fuse but don't no where the fuse for the coil light is engin will turn tho no firein idea plz

Submitted: 12/01/2015 19:03:23 | ID: 109429

Norman Alden, Norfolk

The clutch pedal travel has got down to the last inch from the floor on my 1985 2.5 diesel Transit. I have fitted a new cable and pedal cam adjuster. Any ideas what to do next?

Submitted: 11/01/2015 13:38:02 | ID: 109357

lynn, Lincolnshire

I have a Transit automatic campervan 1990 and the van will not go into any gear, the engine is fine but unable to drive. Please help if possible, thank you

Submitted: 11/01/2015 10:56:29 | ID: 109350

peter, Cambridgeshire

Hi I have a 2003 transit tipper when I first got it I had no dash lights I rep last the fuse and after 5 minutes it blow again and again then the side light fuse blow I put a new fuse in for side lights and it didn't blow but still got no side light and now there's no live coming from that fuse can any one help plz thanks peter

Submitted: 10/01/2015 00:12:51 | ID: 109255

Beverly, Angus

My back door buzzer is not working and the handbrake light is not coming on and it was not looking from outside or inside?

Submitted: 05/01/2015 17:56:28 | ID: 108967

pat, Armagh

Hi could someone please help me? My water heater is leaking, it's not holding the water at all. Is there a way I could disconnect the pipes from the heater or would it be too complicated to do myself? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanking you.

Submitted: 04/01/2015 22:33:19 | ID: 108917

debbie kaye, South Yorkshire

I recently changed thermostat and coolant but cannot get air out of the system?

Submitted: 04/01/2015 12:38:31 | ID: 108874