FORD MONDEO questions and answers

FORD Mondeo

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD MONDEO models. Help and advice on everything FORD MONDEO. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD MONDEO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Richard, Antrim

Ford Mondeo

When driving if not enough pressure or im in the wrong gear there is a chugging or loud clicks coming through accelerator pedal has anyone else had this problem

Submitted: 19/07/2014 01:53:40 | ID: 99958

brian leonardi, Nottinghamshire

Ford Mondeo

My 53 plate Mondeo's mileage meter that tells me how far I have left keeps changing when I get to about a 1/4 of a tank of diesel. One minute there`s 120 miles left and 10 minutes or so later it could be 76 miles and I don`t know why? Also the mileage return is down to about 38 miles a gallon. Could you please help as it`s doing my box in?

Submitted: 18/07/2014 13:46:15 | ID: 99915

Karl, West Midlands

Ford Mondeo

I have recently purchased a 52 plate mondeo ghia x 52 plate, automatic, it is not displaying on the dashboard when I am selecting park, drive etc, what could be the problem ?

Submitted: 16/07/2014 14:02:17 | ID: 99779

dave norman, North Yorkshire

Ford Mondeo

my engine revs its guts out when first started and then calms down but then does it again when driving and when you pull up at a junction why

Submitted: 14/07/2014 20:01:09 | ID: 99664

Barry, Dumfries and Galloway

Ford Mondeo

Oil round engin and makes a whisling noise when excelerate

Submitted: 11/07/2014 19:53:17 | ID: 99472

Adrian Fairley, Dumfries and Galloway

Ford Mondeo

my ford mondeo edge 2006 has now started to have the temperature gauge drop below the needle and has a loss of power. since this has happened the engine management light has illuminated an is staying on permanently. When this happens i stop the car,switch off the engine and wait 5- 10 mins. This is when the engine cooling fan runs for a few mins. When i restart the engine again, the needle goes back to normal position and i could drive for 20 miles and nothing happens then all of a sudden the problem returns again.Please help as this is really really annoying and i'm afraid of damaging the engine

Submitted: 11/07/2014 18:22:45 | ID: 99468

gary, Berkshire

Ford Mondeo

i have a 1.8 duratec and she dumps oil into chambers and rattles on deceleration im thinking oil rings or does anyone know of something else it could be

Submitted: 05/07/2014 15:39:30 | ID: 99027

Hillary, Nigeria

Ford Mondeo

Chassis number WFOWXXGBBWYS71620 Ford mondeo 2001 model the problem with it is that the car will start and move after10to 15 minutes the Car will stop even on speed lane but when restart it start. some time but move a little and stop moving i have change four fuel pump the. Problem stil remain please what do i do i need help and my. 6000CD keycode. has been misplaced I also need your help thanks

Submitted: 28/06/2014 13:36:49 | ID: 98605

michael emmerson, Hampshire

Ford Mondeo

Cant open my bonnet, keys turn but no lift, kind regards

Submitted: 27/06/2014 12:52:37 | ID: 98550

wayne, Bedfordshire

Ford Mondeo

I'm driving my Mondeo down the road when i lose power in the engine to gain power and lose it again before the car dies i leave it for an hour or so and it will start again but only runs a while before problem happens again. I've been told to change the diesel filter which i have and the problem still occurs

Submitted: 21/06/2014 13:16:43 | ID: 98181

karen, Suffolk

Ford Mondeo

I have a 56 reg petrol Mondeo and the fan stays on we've changed the fan and the relay but it still won't turn off any ideas please.

My Mondeo 1.8 petrol had the same problem. I changed the coolant temperature sensor located on the cy head by the ignition coil. Yours might not be in the same place. I got mine from a Ford dealer £12.. Michael cramer from Norfolk

Hi, thank you, I will try it, let`s hope it works. karen from Suffolk

Has it got air on ? If so if the dial is set to the windscreen symbol your air on will be running even without your air con light being illuminated, set the dial for the air to come out the vents or feet and the aircon disables and so should your fan worked for me hope it works foryou too ! john from Warwickshire

Submitted: 19/06/2014 19:01:27 | ID: 98057

paul norris, West Midlands

Ford Mondeo

I have installed full leather seats on my car and all the electrics work on both front seats. My problem is that the cooling/heating does not work. I have checked the fuse in the engine bay, the two in the passenger side and I am sure there is a relay behind the passenger side fusebox. Any ideas anyone?

Submitted: 16/06/2014 13:50:22 | ID: 97797

terry, Merseyside

Ford Mondeo

Have connected a brand new flat battery then bump started down a big hill got the car running but running very poor put old battery back on no revs reading or speedo no computer no heater but fan running through vents indicator bulbs gone running poor smell of burning .

damaged cells on the old battery, fit the new battery and allow ecu to gather and reset does run crappy for a while also clean and check all earth connections gary from Berkshire

Submitted: 14/06/2014 18:44:37 | ID: 97683

ALLAN, Falkirk

Ford Mondeo

Hi there just got my mondeo when i put my foot down for power there's nothing for about 5 seconds whats wrong with it thanks

Submitted: 14/06/2014 16:53:14 | ID: 97679

Go, Merseyside

When I lock my car THe windows sometimes come down

Submitted: 14/06/2014 16:29:46 | ID: 97677

Brian, Australia

Ford Mondeo

Last year had a problem where the Mondeo (2009 TDC1 Titanium) would suddenly cut out while driving. Fortunately the couple of times it happened I was slowing down. Ford could not find the problem. It didn't happen again till last week when it cut out just as I was going round a corner in to a side street. Then over the next 2 days it was doing it intermittently. Took it to mechanic who has been servicing the car and he tested it for a few hours but could not fault it. The only error code on the computer he could find as well was P02E1 - Diesel intake air flow control performance. He cleared the code and since then no more problems . Just wondering has anybody else had this problem and if so what was the fix? I do consider it to be dangerous particularly if I was to be in high speed traffic.

Submitted: 13/06/2014 09:39:30 | ID: 97590

Craig Sewell, Hull

Ford Mondeo

I bought this car 3 weeks ago and seemed ok at 1st but now when I start it after been sat for a few hours it stalls unless I rev it up a lot and sounds juddery , it's just been on a diagnostics and says there's no fault ?

Submitted: 11/06/2014 19:00:48 | ID: 97435

Tom, Kildare

Ford Mondeo

I have a ford mondeo 2006 platinum. It has a remote control double locking system. If I click once on my rc all doors lock. If I click twice to activate the full alarm and locking system, the front passenger door remains open. I have tried lubricating the lock, but no luck. Any easy solution?

Submitted: 11/06/2014 17:08:55 | ID: 97429

chris, West Midlands

Ford Mondeo

Hi I have just bought a mondeo estate 1.8 lx petrol and on the drive home the engine light came on no flashing but its constantly on, I spoke to the bloke I bought it off he said its had a new egr valve fitted but as he's done it on the cheap the codes don't match against ford parts he says this is the cause of the problem, I've been told to reset the car as I've just gone from an old mondeo estate diesel with no problems to a new one I don't know how to do this, could u tell me what ud reccommend and how I'd find codes etc for this car.

Submitted: 11/06/2014 10:12:51 | ID: 97408

peter cooper, Berkshire

Ford Mondeo

I have a 02 mondeo diesel tdci, recently I had a new bottom pulley fitted in a garage and since then it has been clicking when turning the key to start, on occasions 8 or 9 attempts on the key before it starts. Ive been told it sounds like the starter motor but could this be related.

Submitted: 11/06/2014 01:59:41 | ID: 97390

andrea, County Londonderry

Ford Mondeo

Hi, I bought a 2002 1.8 LX 2 weeks ago. I test drove it and it was driving perfectly. I brought it home and the oil light came on, checked and it was dirty so usual service was done. So the lights are still flickering on and fading off. Car drives 100% but now the engine lights are on so I`ve done diagnostics and it came up with p0400 code, which led me to changing the egr valve. The engine lights are now off but the oil light`s on still. If that all isn't stressful enough the air vents are lacking power, blowing hard on the windscreen alone and now the fuel gauge on the dash is reading empty even though there is £40 of petrol in it. The car is making a knocking noise from the engine still. Has anyone had problems like this on these cars or any advice on what on earth`s up with this car?

Hi, I too have bought the 1.8 2001 and that problem with the engine is the same as mine. My engine light too has come on and I`ve only had the car 3 weeks. Did you manage to find your problem as it may help me? harry from Stoke-on-Trent

Submitted: 08/06/2014 19:34:16 | ID: 97231

jake tait-bryan, Greater Manchester

Ford Mondeo

Hi my car is making a loud noise, and when i looked under the bonnet the engine place covering the left hand side has a small hole in it just underneath the screw and oil is sputtering out onto the other parts of the engine and causing it to burn any ideas?

Submitted: 06/06/2014 20:03:31 | ID: 97063

Peter Brennan, Lancashire

Ford Mondeo

Diesel is finding its way into the sump. What should I do?

Submitted: 05/06/2014 18:00:07 | ID: 96993

Julia, Sweden

Ford Mondeo

Hello, I have a Ford mondeo from 2004 and it has started whining and popping from the left front side. The sound stops when I turn left and it appears and disappears all the time. We checked the breaks but they where alright. What's wrong with my car?

Submitted: 27/05/2014 15:33:20 | ID: 96259

Michael cramer, Norfolk

Ford Mondeo

Mondeo mk3 2004 1.8 petrol. Has a tendency to hesitate ie slight pull back when cruising ,, no lights on, spark plugs / leads / fuel filter / air filter / renewed,, starts ok from cold or hot, but revs at 2500 on initial start.. Could it be the ignition coil?..

After some research took off the EGR valve,not the best job, need a 1/4 drive socket with a wobbly end to get the angle, take of the air filter housing to get more room..take off the water hose in front of it, be prepaired for knuckle grazing !!!! EGR had some muck inside, scraped the worst off then soaked it in brake an clutch cleaner (twice). Moved the value up an down until it had a nice clicking noise, then WD it, road tested an all good... Michael cramer from Norfolk

Submitted: 24/05/2014 16:51:32 | ID: 96075

MURDO, Aberdeenshire

Ford Mondeo

what are the dualmas flywheel and pressure plate torque settings

Submitted: 23/05/2014 17:02:49 | ID: 96005

Sarah, South Yorkshire

Ford Mondeo

Hi, I have an automatic ford mondeo 2001 petrol saloon, the engine management light is on constant, but flashes uphill!, now and again when I've stopped at lights it hesitates for a couple of seconds before kicking in properly, other than that the car runs and changes up & down without issue, the engine isn't noisy (in fact can't hardly hear it), could you advise, as I was thinking possible spark plugs and maybe new coils needed?

Submitted: 22/05/2014 16:12:03 | ID: 95933

Sarah, South Yorkshire

Ford Mondeo

Engine management on constantly and flashes when going uphill, sometimes for about 2 secs it hesitates to kick in properly if I've had to stop at lights, other than that it drives smoothly and you can't hardly hear the engine, anyone know is it a simple case of replacing sparks do you reckon?, thanks in advance ??

Submitted: 22/05/2014 14:50:42 | ID: 95928

robert, Portugal

Ford Mondeo

how to remove front bolts from exhaust to manifold

Submitted: 20/05/2014 21:11:13 | ID: 95806

Gordon troy, West Yorkshire

Ford Mondeo

Hi , I have 2002, 2ltr petrol mondeo,and I seem to have miss fire,changed plugs and leads,but still happening any ideas,would be very gratefull

Submitted: 20/05/2014 20:03:04 | ID: 95802

Tony Galang, Greater London

Ford Mondeo

Hi, I need a little help pls. I have a Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2005 2.0 Duratec HE engine running on petrol. For the second time I noticed my temp gauge went red after doing a non-traffic run for 40 mins. I noticed, it only happens when I was using the air-conditioning. Anyway, after stopping for 30 mins and topping up the radiator water for at least 3/4 of a litre. All ok after that. I appreciate any answer. Thanks.

Submitted: 20/05/2014 19:00:02 | ID: 95796

paul, Essex

Ford Mondeo

What is causing my diesel return pipe to keep coming loose from no4 injector I've refitted it several times

Submitted: 03/05/2014 18:32:37 | ID: 95042

Tracie, Lincolnshire

Ford Mondeo

I recently purchased a 51 plate ford mondeo 1.8 lx, about 3 weeks ago my car alarm started going off at random times, now it is going off at approximately every 2 to 3 days but it is both day or night. Why is this happening? What can I do to prevent the alarm going off again?

I had the identical problem, needle in red zone but engine at normal temperature. First garage didn't have a clue except to change thermostat and flush the system. Second garage recognised fault straight away it was a faulty temperature sender unit. he tested it first by disconnecting the wire and earthing it out (which made the temp gauge needle move). Seemingly there are two items that need to be changed sender and sensor units I think) but it was a quick fix and relatively cheap. Terence brown from Cambridgeshire

hi i dont know if you sorted it but sometimes a faulty battery(loosing charge) sometimes causes alarms to go of gary from Berkshire

Submitted: 20/04/2014 18:19:20 | ID: 94475

terry hughes, Cornwall

Ford Mondeo

Got in car this morning runnin fine when i parked it up last nite. Took it about a mile down the rd and temp gauge went right up on red . Not losein water checked for oil and water mix but all clear . Put new thermostat in and still doin the same drive it for not even a mile and temp up on red . Fan kicks in but engine dnt seem hot

Submitted: 18/04/2014 12:58:23 | ID: 94396

MR POLLITT, Greater Manchester

Ford Mondeo

the intermittent rear wiper doesn't do a full cycle on my mk3 2004 (54) mondeo I have tried a new relay and a new auto wiper switch and I have checked the fuses, no matter what I have tried I still have the same problem. can you help?

Submitted: 17/04/2014 15:56:17 | ID: 94369

Mick Short, Yorkshire

Ford Mondeo 2008

My Ford Mondeo can be fine for a month or two and then it starts mis-firing, then pick,s up. It`s been tested at different garages who found nothing. Any suggestions please? (1.8 titanium x tdi)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 09:33:02 | ID: 93907

Andy Lunn, Yorkshire

Ford Mondeo 2002

Sometimes when I`m driving my Ford Mondeo it suddenly feels like it speeds up. The only way to describe it is if you had one foot on the accelerator and one foot on the clutch and when you lift off the clutch the car motion seems to get a slight increase in power. I’ve noticed it a few times, especially if I’ve been stationary with the handbrake on (like at traffic lights) but it`s not immediate, it`s usually about 30 seconds after setting off. Does anyone know what might be causing it?

I had same problem on mine, mine was surging slightly, its the coil pack m8 dean from Lancashire

Submitted: 31/03/2014 12:06:53 | ID: 93634

Jen Yates, England

Ford Mondeo 2009

I have a seat belt warning light intermittently occurring even when passenger is belted up. Does anybody know why or how to stop this?

Submitted: 26/03/2014 15:29:40 | ID: 93617

Achidi Abanda, South Africa

Ford Mondeo 2004

My Ford Mondeo 2004 has high throttle on idle. What could the problem be? (Sedan)

Submitted: 21/03/2014 12:57:34 | ID: 63181

Brian Scully, Ireland

Ford Mondeo 2008

My Ford Mondeo`s alarm keeps going off. It will shut off when locked only to start 5 minutes later. How can I disarm the alarm?

Submitted: 21/03/2014 10:40:02 | ID: 63152