FORD MONDEO questions and answers

FORD Mondeo

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD MONDEO models. Help and advice on everything FORD MONDEO. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD MONDEO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

james, Highland

Ford Mondeo

When i start car some time Rev's erratic and seems to be a whistle from turbo as soon as you rev it any ideas thanks

Submitted: 02/07/2015 18:51:02 | ID: 117955

sean hargreaves, Lincolnshire

Ford Mondeo

Hello, I have a 54 plate mondeo st220, I have had the car for 2 weeks now. Yesterday I wired a sub and amp to the car which works fine. 30 minutes later my engine management light came on and the idle revs now fluctuates from 600 rpm upto a 1000 rpm. It was sitting nicely at 750 rpm before I fitted the sub and amp. I have now taken the sub and amp out and the car now idles at 750 rpm again but engine management light is still on. Does anyone think the sub and amp caused the engine management light to come on? Also how can I reset engine management light without taking it to a garage. Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 25/06/2015 10:48:02 | ID: 117686

Steve, Plymouth

Ford Mondeo

My car Judders at low revs but once apply more on accelerater car pulls with no juddering. Also fuel cosumption is poor I feel, full tank bout 250 miles around town and also Have a whining sound underneath cassis... Is this a hole in a pipe or a wheel bearing? Car has done 89K and 22 k over last 5 yrs and last dec2014 had full service and new HT leads, juddering issue was there before fitted and still is now.

Submitted: 16/06/2015 22:19:12 | ID: 117304

keith, Greater Manchester

Hi I am having to replace the alternator every 12 months - why? Regards Keith

Submitted: 14/06/2015 23:20:23 | ID: 117213

kenny, Kent

Ford Mondeo

my electronic automatic tempature control stopped working after i replaced the cigar lighter fuse. is their a fuse for the heater control, if so is it in the main fuse box or in the auxillary box. if not the fuse what could the problem be ???. thanks, hope you can help me. yours kenny.

Submitted: 08/06/2015 15:25:34 | ID: 116965

Pat, Ireland

Ford Mondeo

Hi all. I have a Mondeo 1.8LX petrol 2005. I stopped outside a shop and came back in a few minutes and the car wouldn't start. I checked Fuel pressure at Rail and there was plenty of fuel there. I found no Spark at output from coil pack. It.s only two month's since I had to replace it one Saturday morning so I hope it's not gone faulty on me. The indication that morning was the Engine light kept flashing with very juddering movement diving away from traffic lights. I went into a motor factor shop and bought a new coil for €35. I would like to know how to test a coil pack . Many thanks.

Submitted: 02/06/2015 13:32:13 | ID: 116719

diane green, Merseyside

Ford Mondeo

Hi, I have a light flashing on my dashboard and the car won't start and when I try to start it blows smoke out? Thanks

Submitted: 10/05/2015 08:49:34 | ID: 115829

harry, Somerset

Ford Mondeo

Hi, my Ford Mondeo 2 litre automatic has lost all gears, it drove on to a ramp and had checks done for MOT then the garage went to drive it off and there were no gears/drive but the engine runs fine?

Submitted: 09/05/2015 23:49:07 | ID: 115820

Colin Murphy, Buckinghamshire

Ford Mondeo

After a short run my car suffers from juddering under load. Back off slightly on the throttle and it stops, only to start again under load. The juddering is not constant but judders 3 or 4 times then there is a pause then 3 or 4 judders then a pause etc. This will continue for as long as I maintain a constant speed. The judder becomes more noticeable the longer the journey. I had a new torque converter and a complete gearbox rebuild 12 months ago.

Submitted: 01/05/2015 14:10:50 | ID: 115453

gregory, Cumbria

Ford Mondeo

hi I have a mk3 tdci on a 55 plate , I was renewing ,my brake pads and the rear right piston was giving me problems ,wouldn't wind back in , the whole piston became loose , I have another mk3 mondeo ,a 52 plate petrol I noticed rear callipers where the same as my tdci , however , ive attempted to remove calliper from tdci , but everything is ready to come off apart from the ,rubber hose the metal part of the hose near the calliper ,has rounded ,and due to my ignorance ,I have repeated this process with shocking results ,can you advise me on the best way to replace this hose I didn't fancy removing it from main brake line because that is tight also ,don't fancy rounding that or worse still snapping it ,as it has a lot of movement on the bracket ,thanks ,really hope you can help ,car is stuck up on axle stands until , I can source a remedy ,thanks greg :)

Submitted: 18/04/2015 21:16:58 | ID: 114888

Haydn wood , Greater Manchester

Ford Mondeo

Radiator fan is running even when starting up from cold?

Submitted: 07/04/2015 21:50:59 | ID: 114424

Franklyn Swanston , Greater Manchester

Ford Mondeo

I recently purchased a car (Mondeo Titanium estate 2011) on 29th March 2015 after stopping to fill up I noticed one of my side lights were out. I went to Halfords to have it replaced only to be told there is nowhere to put the bulb in the light unit, it seems the off side front light unit is different from the other side which has a side light in it and it's working. So it appears I have two different light units in my car. How can this be? This surely isn't right? Could I be stopped by the police for this reason, and how has this car passed it's MOT? I know from my research that cars with day lights sometimes don't need side lights, but surely both the lighting units should be the same. Could someone shed some LIGHT on this for me please?

Submitted: 07/04/2015 15:04:11 | ID: 114415

mak, Essex

Ford Mondeo

hi i have a mondeo zetec 2010 1800cc when my foot just touches the clutch it rattles when i push all the way in it stops its even started to make a little noise on idle now if this is the clutch how will i know if it need a flywheel also

Submitted: 14/03/2015 18:01:33 | ID: 113328

Tony b, Buckinghamshire

Ford Mondeo

does this model have brake wear indicators.

Submitted: 11/03/2015 17:26:28 | ID: 113156

mick, Nottinghamshire

Ford Mondeo

Hi, just started my Mondeo diesel est tdci engine and it started shaking and was very loud, plus a lot of blue smoke. No lights on the dash though. Any help please?

Submitted: 24/02/2015 10:07:10 | ID: 112236

john fitzgerald, South Lanarkshire

Ford Mondeo

Why are the headlights rubbish? It's a Titanium X and I had the same miners lamps on my 60 plate Titanium. When you buy a 2014 TX plus you would expect at least a torch to see in the dark.

Submitted: 21/02/2015 23:06:34 | ID: 112063

david beckwith, Lancashire

Ford Mondeo

What would cause the fuel light to come on as if empty? The engine cuts out when there is a full tank of diesel

Submitted: 18/02/2015 22:08:54 | ID: 111848

vaughan, Nottinghamshire

Ford Mondeo

just bought a titanium estate put 65 litres of diesl in and the fuel gauge has not moved.the gauge sits on the display screen between rev counter and speedo.....

Submitted: 14/02/2015 17:46:37 | ID: 111527

F. Wiggs, Norfolk

Ford Mondeo

I have a 2010 Mondeo estate. Somebody bumped my rear bumper in the car park and popped the side out. Is there an easy way to put this back in?

Submitted: 12/02/2015 13:50:35 | ID: 111372

Michael Machin, South Yorkshire

Ford Mondeo

Red and yellow snowflakes both on and no temp being shown inside the car, been told it could be the sensor, where is it, is it easy to change if it's that? Thanks

Submitted: 11/02/2015 21:00:09 | ID: 111339

John Powell , Hertfordshire

Ford Mondeo

Started the car up and drove for about 50 yards and it cut out, could not start it, would not fire up or turn over but all the lights on the dash work. I tried bump-start but it did not do anything. Any suggestions?

Submitted: 09/02/2015 10:52:22 | ID: 111178

jack houston, Antrim

Ford Mondeo

Heater Blower Motor FORD MONDEO 1.8 Edge . Bearings have been affected by water ingress from ,faulty pollen filter seal.water has dried out the lubricant in the bearings and now the motor squeeks when switched on. Do I try to replace bearings or the complete motor.

Submitted: 30/01/2015 23:58:50 | ID: 110604

dave, Derbyshire

Ford Mondeo

Hi. I have whiring sound that sonetimes gets louder when when car moving sounds at front of car . I had bairing done thinking was that but continues. Could it be as simple as as a tyre. As the guy I bought it from replaced tyre or am I grasping at straws . Any feedback I woyld be very greatful for. Thanks

Submitted: 28/01/2015 21:21:19 | ID: 110450

edward bishop, Tyne and Wear

Ford Mondeo

car starts when cold but after 15 to 20 minutes cuts out and smells of petrol any ideas

Submitted: 28/01/2015 17:11:35 | ID: 110427

Jim graingr, City of Derby

Ford Mondeo

Hi I have a 2009 1.8 edge tdci. my car alarm has started going off at all hours night n day (01:30 this morning) I've replaced the main car battery as I was advised this was the cause but to no effect anyone got any advise before I have to resort to dealer visit?? Cheers jim

Submitted: 26/01/2015 07:25:32 | ID: 110297

Ian Clarke, South Yorkshire

Ford Mondeo

Filled the car today and the "miles remaining" display showe 808 miles remaining - this number is usually 670 miles.Having travelled 56 miles the number displayed is now 820 miles and i noticed a rapid climb in the outside temperature from 3 degrees to 14 and then a rapid drop back down to 5 degrees.Is this a technical problem and are the two issues related?

Submitted: 20/01/2015 19:20:58 | ID: 109969

jeffrey page, West Yorkshire

Ford Mondeo

no pressure on my clutch pedal ,will select gear when engine is not running. but nothing when engine is running.has my clutch gone,i dont know if it has a clutch cable or not. help please,

Submitted: 17/01/2015 15:34:27 | ID: 109725

william duff, Fife

Ford Mondeo

9 strathenry place Would a weak or low battery cause my mondeo to cut out whilst driving. Car restarted and cut out again in idle mode after 20 seconds. Tried again nothing at all , battery dead. When turning on ignition guages speedo etc went over to max for 2 0r 3 secs then dropped back. Would a weak battery cause this?

Submitted: 16/01/2015 11:16:14 | ID: 109659

perry mcbride, Northamptonshire

Ford Mondeo

I have a mondeo 1.8 lx petrol duratec engine 16 valve injection and recently i ran the tank dry and sucked all the debris from bottom of tank and now i am losing power when using gears from 1 thru to 5 and i get a shuddering motion on the revs when changing gear. i have replaced the fuel filter and today i replaced the spark plugs with new ones , the two centre piston chamber spark plugs were covered in wet oil but the one at either side were good. the car is running like it is misfiring and feels like it is losing compression but have not done a test yet. have not checked injectors or coil wires or coil itself. is my engine done ? can anyone help please...

Submitted: 13/01/2015 16:12:49 | ID: 109473

Shabz, Greater London

Ford Mondeo

What be the reason why my car heater heat is really really hot? Even if I lower the resistant it stills blows really hot heat! Please advise?

Submitted: 09/01/2015 19:18:40 | ID: 109235

Daniel, Bedfordshire

Ford Mondeo

Hi all, the central Locking won`t work on the key fob but will work with the key in the door. I have changed the batteries in both fobs and still nothing. Does anyone know what is wrong?

Submitted: 05/01/2015 08:53:58 | ID: 108933

rebecca, Merseyside

Ford Mondeo

my mondeo driving fine then all of a sudden it just cut off. no spark from spark plugs when checked. what could be the cause. when you try and start it spins over until battery dies tried jumpstart it will not start just spinning could some one help please!!!

Personally I don`t know, but I do know I`m having the same issues. Car was misfiring last night and this morning will not start. I`ve tried new spark plugs, coil leads and coilpack but still no spark. Fuel is getting to the engine, isn`t the problem either. I`m thinking in my case the ecu, but if you figure it out any help would be appreciated. Thanks Gav from West Yorkshire

Submitted: 30/12/2014 21:05:06 | ID: 108653

Craig, West Yorkshire

Ford Mondeo

I just bought a ford Mondeo zetec sport 2010 (60 plate) new shape 1.8tdci 6 speed (duratec engine) and car drives well, infact I believe it drives as it should but I couldant help but notice the other day I were driving along without the radio on and when accelerating in 3rd gear and maybe 2nd i could ear a deep vibrating sound but no vibrating or shuddering it is quite a faint sound and clearly not that noticeable when radio is on quite low at talking levels I mean, I usually change gear between 1500-2000 rpm but the sound when putting my foot down it just ain't there no more, Am I changing too early or is the car telling me something is wrong or is this normal, no warning lights or anything on the dash and no loss of speed or acceleration... It's my first diesel car too I have had petrol cars in the past Milage is just over 119000 it's had new belts on and a few other parts replaced by the garage I bought it from...can anyone give me any good news or not lol? Thanks in advance.

My 06 tdci duratorq has just developed the same issue, when ticking over all is fine, 1st gear is fine, get to high 2nd and low 3rd I get vibration plus the engine gets loud! Could be an o ring issue ( the joint between exhaust n manifold) which I'm hoping for as its a cheap self repair job. If you hear other wise I would be interested in hearing about it. Leon from Brighton & Hove

Submitted: 23/12/2014 10:24:31 | ID: 108318

Wayne salmon, Southampton

Ford Mondeo

I have a 1800 52 plate Zetec mondeo the temperature gauge takes quite a while before it gets to its central position where a year ago it would reach its central postion within a minute or so would like some feed back if possible

Submitted: 13/12/2014 20:42:34 | ID: 107860

Malvern, Zimbabwe

Ford Mondeo

My ford mondeo mk3 duratec engine makes a grinding sound every time i start it in the morning. This sound also comes when I start it after parking it for a long time, during the day. The sound often disappears after running it for for about 15 to 20 minutes. Any idea what this could be?

Submitted: 13/12/2014 13:53:47 | ID: 107846

Gaz, City of Derby

Ford Mondeo

How many bolts hold the exhaust manifold to the head ? I can only find 6 but I'm not sure if there should be 8.

Submitted: 06/12/2014 22:21:55 | ID: 107491

Andy perry, West Midlands

Ford Mondeo

Battery keeps dying on me I've fitted a new battery but its also died..

Submitted: 03/12/2014 20:10:39 | ID: 107341

scott harding, West Midlands

Ford Mondeo

Hi Strange one for me. The temp sensor on dash rises to over halfway but only when headlights are on? Turn them off and its fine!! Ive recently had to have some work done yo head gasket but this issue was happening before hand. Ive replaced thermostat and sensor. The temp will rise high with ign off but the lights still on. I have noticed high amounts of condensation coming out the exhaust too while stationary en hoping that the gasket hasnt gone completely!! Any help on this would be great

Submitted: 01/12/2014 01:41:37 | ID: 107169

richard quinton, Essex

Ford Mondeo

The second bulbs on low beam have stopped working on both sides I have changed the bulbs but no luck

Submitted: 26/11/2014 22:52:59 | ID: 106959

Peter, Worcestershire

Ford Mondeo

8 Birchfield Road Hi I have driven my Mondeo for the last 3 years with no major problems, mileage is now approx 90,000 miles. I now have a starting problem; on turning the key the engine fires up normally and idles at 800rpm as normal, but the rev counter does not respond, the engine warning icon lights up and the engine dies after a few seconds. After several attempts the engine finally starts normally, and runs ok from then on. I have now found that applying a gentle amount of throttle after it first fires up can often keep the engine running long enough (a few minutes) for the rev counter etc to work and the engine not to stall.

Submitted: 21/11/2014 12:58:04 | ID: 106596