FORD GALAXY questions and answers

FORD Galaxy

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD GALAXY models. Help and advice on everything FORD GALAXY. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD GALAXY questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Tony, Essex

Ford Galaxy

Hi. I have a problem with the automatic gear box on my galaxy. Will not shift out of first gear, reverse is ok. I’ve heard that the problem can be resolved (short of getting another gearbox) by changing the gearbox oil and/or fitting a new relay (30?) which seems to control the gearbox. Any help would be most welcomed, as a new gearbox is an expense I could really do without, especially if there is a cheaper alternative! Best regards. Tony

Submitted: 17/04/2014 18:44:19 | ID: 94373

michele, Essex

Ford Galaxy

Hi, I'd like to add an aux adapter to my galaxy, people carrier,2005, so I can play music on phone through speakers. Is this possible as man in halfords said it wasn't, but internet searches say otherwise. Thank you

Submitted: 14/04/2014 22:01:12 | ID: 94223

Bernard John Rice, Kent

Ford Galaxy

Both the ABS and the handbrake warning lights came on at the same time and have stayed on ever since. It was due an MOT and so I engaged a Mobil diagnostic mechanic to identify the problem and all he could find was a ABS sensor malfunction. Then for some reason the ABS light flickered and then stayed on. I replaced both font sensors and still the problem remains but now the brakes are locked on. This could be because I took the opportunity to replace the brake master cylinder and this meant the whole braking system was bleed, including, I guess, the ABS control unit. If the control unit is bleed I have been told that it is a job for a Ford main dealer. Is this right? If it is, is it likely that the dealer recommends replacing the ABS Controller? Just how reliable are ABS controllers and should I replace it with a used but guaranteed unit so it is just a question of the main dealer bleeding the whole system?

Submitted: 13/04/2014 17:08:04 | ID: 94181

Frank, Norfolk

Ford Galaxy

I need to replace the brake servo vacuum hose, but I am unable to take out the pipe where it goes into the manifold. The manual says to push in and pull out, but nothing is working, it is firmly stuck in place. Can anybody help please?

Submitted: 11/04/2014 19:51:51 | ID: 94109

Helen Campbell, England

Ford Galaxy 2000

My Ford Galaxy`s central locking won’t work even though I’ve changed the battery in the fob. Any ideas?

To reset your key fob close all windows and doors, insert key into passenger`s front door within 5 seconds turn key to the unlock position 3 times to enter programing mode (driver`s door led should be lit), remove key. Program mode is only active for 15 seconds so press and hold the lock button on key fob within 5 seconds and press the unlock button 3 times (while holding down the lock button), then release the lock button.(Correct programming indicated by led flashing 5 times and driver`s door led flashing 6 times). Key fob should now be reset. If this did not work in the passenger`s door then try in the driver`s door.Please let me know if this worked? Thanks. john wood from Essex

Submitted: 07/04/2014 15:29:13 | ID: 93963

Dawn Royston, Worcestershire

Ford Galaxy 2002

My 1.9 tdi 02 plate Ford Galaxy is over revving but not all of the time and it has started making a whistling noise when you give it more revs. Any help would be gratefully received. Any suggestions please?

Submitted: 04/04/2014 09:25:46 | ID: 93853

Lena Arthurs, Kent

Ford Galaxy 2003

I need to change the passenger door handle cover on my Ford Galaxy. Does this just pull off or does something need to be unclipped first? Thanks.

Submitted: 03/04/2014 12:17:46 | ID: 93856

Dennis, Cardiff

Ford Galaxy 2000

Can anyone give me any ideas? My Ford Galaxy is misfiring as if a plug has gone. I have changed the plugs, leads and coil pack. I have been told to check the valves as one could be dropped (not sitting flush). Can this be the case as I don’t want to take the head off if it`s not a possible cause? Cheers.

Submitted: 03/04/2014 10:49:04 | ID: 93834

Des Bullen, Cambridgeshire

Ford Galaxy 1996

My Ford Galaxy`s front copper brake pipe has split. How do I get at the pipes behind the engine? I think I’ll have both sides. Thanks. (2.0 LT)

Submitted: 01/04/2014 15:24:15 | ID: 94009

Dave George, Newport

Ford Galaxy 2006

Hi all, I have a Ford Galaxy 1.9tdi auto. I can select the various gears ie drive, reverse, neutral and so on but when normal driving sometimes the gearbox won’t change up. If I quickly turn the key off and back on whilst driving it will continue to drive normally. Any ideas? (Ford Galaxy 1.9 tdi)

Submitted: 31/03/2014 16:13:16 | ID: 93659

Matt Dad, Leicestershire

Ford Galaxy 1999

I have a Ford Galaxy and the Abs fault both abs and brake lights on the dashboard come on. Sometimes it`s just the abs light. When both lights are off on the dashboard braking makes a horrible grating sound at the end of braking before the car stops. When it`s just the abs light on the same occurs, however when both lights are on the car`s braking is absolutely fine. All braking sensors have been changed with this problem still existing. What could be the fix to the problem please? I have been told that it could be the ecu brake pump giving false information to the sensors. I know that this could be a costly repair. Besides the abs pump is there anything else that could be causing the problem? I looked around and no-one else has had the exact symptoms. Any help would be grateful. (1.9 TDI)

...hi matt.. My mechanic, who’s a mate with kind mates rates, eliminated all the usual and computer fault codes faults first. He then got blue prints from VW for the elecrical wires that operate the brakes and ABS system. The problem you may have as it sounds exactly like i had is to do with the fuse box in the engine bay that runs straight off from the battery. When you open the fuse box there are three small fuses, two 30amp and one 3amp. There is a plug that plugs into the right of the fuse box that operate the voltage to the ABS and brake system. Get your garage to check the voltage there as I had 12 volts coming into the fuse box but only about 7 going out into the plug. Replace this box and keep the old one for spares or ask garage to repair this fuse box as my mechanic has done. This should then fix the handbrake light and the ABS light on the dashboard, which is an MoT failure. If you still have problems with the handbrake light my mechanic said that my cable somewhere on the underneath of car was rubbing into one of the tubes to protect it and was starting to wear the cable. Hope the fuse box all gets sorted out for you. Happy motoring. john wood from Essex

Submitted: 21/03/2014 12:23:31 | ID: 63176

Herman Dorbeck, Netherlands

Ford Galaxy 2007

My 2007 Ford Galaxy ghia petrol just loses power and stops after 10 minutes. I can turn the key again and it starts. Last year my fuel pump was changed but I still have this problem. It`s done 152472 km. I did a scan for error codes but nothing is showing up. Can someone help me with this problem?

Not sure if it will be the same as my diesel galaxy loss of power.. just under the edge of the engine cover on the right hand side is the turbo sensor.. take off the two screws and take off the sensor that sits in the pipe it has a white sensor node that will probably have oil covering it. Get a can of brake cleaner and spray over the node to clear oil residue off then shake and blow it dry and put it back.. i have to do this every 2 to 3000 miles which only takes me 3 mins and saves me buying a new turbo.... please remember my galaxy is a diesel and not sure if you have the same turbo sensor on a petrol galaxy let me know by reply if this works on your petrol galaxy.. happy motoring john wood from Essex

Submitted: 20/03/2014 15:32:22 | ID: 63071

Frances, Cornwall

Ford Galaxy 2004

My Ford Galaxy`s reverse sensor stays on and beeps constantly and reverse lights stay on until I`ve passed second gear. Any idea what the problem is?

Submitted: 14/03/2014 16:18:08 | ID: 62862

Mike Williams, Swansea

Ford Galaxy 2005

Hello, why is my Ford Galaxy sometimes losing power? It hits some kind of flat spot, gets up to around 50 mph and no more, very strange. It`s not a regular occurance and as I want to pull a caravan loss of power could be a major problem. Can anyone help with this please? (zetec 19 tdi diesel)

My diesel galaxy also losses power.. just under the edge of the engine cover on the right hand side is the turbo sensor.. take off the two screws and take off the sensor that sits in the pipe the white sensor node will probably have oil residue on it. So get a can of brake cleaner and spray over the node to clear oil residue off then shake and blow it dry then put it back.. i have to do this every 2 to 3000 miles which only takes me 3 mins and saves me buying a new turbo.... let me know by reply if this was your problem.. happy motoring john wood from Essex

Submitted: 13/03/2014 11:23:08 | ID: 62766

Eddie Smith, Wales

Ford Galaxy 1998

My Ford Galaxy`s clutch works fine until I start the engine. When I try to accelerate in gear the clutch pedal goes to the floor and it won`t drive, but if it is put in gear and not accelerated it will drive slowly and I can reach 30-40 in it. What can I look at?

Submitted: 10/03/2014 10:30:25 | ID: 62689

Adrian Ferguson, England

Ford Galaxy 2007

Morning everybody. I have a 2007 Ford Galaxy and on the dashboard the bit that lights up showing mileage keeps going blank and will stay bright orange for a long time until the engine is switched off for at least 15 minutes, then it will go back to normal. Any ideas?Thank you.

Submitted: 07/03/2014 09:25:39 | ID: 62635

Anu Jay, England

Ford Galaxy 2005

Hi. I have a Ford Galaxy 2.3l petrol 2005 automatic. It`s starting fine, select gear and it starts moving but after a couple of minutes driving the power goes. If I turn the engine off and start the engine again the car will get moving again but just for a couple of minutes. Could anybody please tell me what the problem could be please? Thanks.

Submitted: 03/03/2014 15:45:28 | ID: 62506

Val Butterly, England

Ford Galaxy 1998

My P reg Ford Galaxy won’t go into third, fourth and reverse. What`s wrong please?

Submitted: 25/02/2014 16:25:57 | ID: 60280

Omar Taha, Sweden

Ford Galaxy 2004

The rear wiper blade of my Ford Galaxy is not working. I wondered if the fuse or the electrical relay would be responsible and I was trying to find out the wiring diagram, but unfortunately I couldn`t find it. Can anybody help? In case the wiper motor ís defective what is the proper procedure to fix it?

Submitted: 24/02/2014 11:00:44 | ID: 62302

Jimmy Ademosu, Nigeria

Ford Galaxy 2003

What could cause my Ford Galaxy to not idle well? Two cylinders work well and two do not. I`ve changed the plugs and nozzles but still no luck. What can I do?

Submitted: 14/02/2014 09:49:48 | ID: 62071

Saqib Chughtai, London

Ford Galaxy 2002

My Ford Galaxy`s brake lights are constantly staying on. I have changed the brake switch but they`re still on and the lights will only go out when I disconnect the battery. Please can someone help?

Submitted: 11/02/2014 12:14:46 | ID: 62009

Neil Mellor, England

Ford Galaxy 2010

I am changing my brake fluid on my 2.0 Ford Galaxy and I was wondering if anyone knew which wheel to start on, is it front left / right rear / front right or left rear. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 10/02/2014 10:49:28 | ID: 61845

Wazza, England

Ford Galaxy 2001

Can anyone help me? When I drive my Y reg Ford Galaxy and if I have the radio and blowers on, then if I use my electric windows or flash my lights, the whole electrics cut out for a second and then come back on. Sometimes the engine cuts out too. Any suggestions please? (Tdi)

Submitted: 07/02/2014 15:50:34 | ID: 61836

Jason Webber, Sussex

Ford Galaxy 2000

I have a 2.3 petrol Ford Galaxy W reg. When changing up through the gears the engine revs are high when you push down on the clutch, but it does not do it when going down through the gears. Please can you tell me what the problem is and how to sort it? (Ztec)

Submitted: 30/01/2014 11:55:54 | ID: 61509

Neil Mellor, Scotland

Ford Galaxy 2010

My handbrake light is on all the time. Any tips? Thank you.

When you start the engine each time do you get 3 loud beeps? john wood from Essex

No it starts as normal no beeps! It goes off but comes back on when am driving. .???? Neil Mellor from England

I’ve had the same problem twice over the last 5 years and had my brakes checked twice and it had nothing to do with the actual breaks. It use to happen intermittently especially when I was on a hill or going round corner. There is a sensor/cap on the brake fluid reservoir the first time this was worn down, I manage to get one from a local garage that repairs Fords and it only cost £5. The second time it happened I just topped up the brake fluid and this fixed it. Give it a go as will cost very little either way and may fix it. Karen Hodson from England

Submitted: 28/01/2014 22:23:31 | ID: 61464

Angel Ferrufino, Sweden

Ford Galaxy 1996

I have a 1996 Ford Galaxy and my stop lights do not work. I have been trying to locate the braking system switch. Can someone help me?

Last year I lost brake lights, all lights front and back and wipers. I called the AA out to rescue me or get me going again, but they could not find the problem at the side of the road and towed me off to my local garage. My problem turned out to be the ignition switch had started to arc and burn and melt the key barrell, so I would get this checked out incase you have the start of the same problem. Let me know if this info was helpful. Thanks. john wood from Essex

Remove the cover underneath the steering column. Just above the break pedal there is a large black switch, unclick and remove, replacements are about £10 ish. Once replaced you should be ok. I had this with my 2000 Galaxy, I replaced the switch and it was fine. Gavin Penny from Wiltshire

Submitted: 28/01/2014 14:31:25 | ID: 61386

Raache Abd, England

Ford Galaxy 2007

On my Ford Galaxy what is the pipe called that goes from the turbo to the cooler?

Submitted: 23/01/2014 12:47:16 | ID: 61312

Ian Frewen, Bridgend

Ford Galaxy 2002

My Ford Galaxy`s button no 1 is broken and I can`t enter the key code. My car had the battery disconnected so the radio needs a key code but my No. 1 button is stuck in and doesn’t work. Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance. (1.8 tdi)

Submitted: 20/01/2014 10:50:53 | ID: 54040

Aasi Khan, England

Ford Galaxy 2005

Hi, I have a Ford Galaxy 05 plate. The abs and handbrake lights are on. The sensor is working, oil and pad are okay. I went to three workshops but they don`t know what`s wrong and can`t delete the lights on the screen. Can anybody tell me what`s wrong please? Thanks.

Hi there, I had the very same problem two months ago. My mechanic, who’s a mate with mates rates, eliminated all the usual and the computer fault codes faults first. He then got blue prints from VW for the elecrical wires that operate the brakes and ABS. The problem you have is to do with the fuse box in the engine bay that runs straight off from the battery. When you open the fuse box there are three small fuses, two 30amp and one 3amp. There is a plug that plugs into the right of the fuse box that operate the voltage to the ABS and brake system. Get your garage to check the voltage there as I had 12 volts coming into the fuse box but only about 7 going out into the plug. Replace this box and keep the old one for spares or ask garage to repair this fuse box as my mechanic has done. This should then fix the handbrake light and the ABS light on the dashboard, which is an MoT failure. If you still have problems with the handbrake light my mechanic said that my cable somewhere on the underneath of car was rubbing into one of the tubes to protect it and was starting to wear the cable. Hope the fuse box all gets sorted out for you. Happy motoring. john wood from Essex

Submitted: 17/01/2014 14:45:51 | ID: 60864

Mike Deacon, Dorset

Ford Galaxy 1999

Hi. I`m trying to find out 3 things about my Ford Galaxy tdi auto. Firstly should my centre console light up (the surround around the gear lever on the floor)? Secondly I`m having trouble with my wipers, sometimes they work and other times they don’t, is this the stalks or something else? Thirdly, my Galaxy won`t start when the fuel gauge gets into the start of the red, I`m guessing this is a sender problem? (tdi automatic)

Submitted: 16/01/2014 16:26:59 | ID: 60783

Steve Cash, Hampshire

Ford Galaxy 1998

I have a 1998 Ford Galaxy tdi 1.9 and the airbag light is on all of the time. Also I cannot find the main fuse for the radio. Does anyone know how to solve these problems? Cheers.

It’s a common fault with Galaxys. We have had our Galaxy since new (it is now 14 years old). The airbag light has come on which is now an MOT failure. It’s probably the clock spring which is mounted ’behind’ the steering wheel Richard G from Vale of Glamorgan

Submitted: 16/01/2014 15:47:03 | ID: 60292

Temitope Ogunyemi, Nigeria

Ford Galaxy 1996

I have a problem with the slow running system of my Ford Galaxy and possibly the air flow meter fuse. Can anyone advise me please?

Submitted: 10/01/2014 11:18:33 | ID: 60559

Gavin Fox, Carmarthenshire

Ford Galaxy 2002

I have an 02 plate Ford Galaxy tdi. I had a mechanic come out and put it on a computer which showed 3 codes and I am waiting for him to get back to me, but the car wouldn`t start. He did something and now it starts first time but I`m nervous just in case it happens again. He said he thinks the one code was for an injector. What would be the signs that an injector is on it`s way out please?

Submitted: 07/01/2014 10:07:09 | ID: 60380

Oluwagbemiga Alake, Nigeria

Ford Galaxy 1995

In the morning whenever I start my 1995 Ford Galaxy the revs will go up and down without me accelerating. Also if I am driving the car will suddenly stop moving (the engine will stop working) and,then all the dashboard lights (battery, oil, abs, handbrake etc) will switch on. Does anyone know the solution to my problem?

Hi there, in the engine bay there is a red possative wire that runs from the battery into a fuse box with the big main fuses. Open the fuse box and look to see if there is any corrossion on the metal fuses and check that the 12 volts going into each fuse from the battery and that there is 12 volts coming out the other end of fuses. I have the Mark 2 Galaxy 2003 and not sure if you have same main fuse box located in the engine bay on the older model. I’m not saying that this is definitley the problem you have, but it sounds electrical like the main fuse box failing input/output, which I had simular problems with my Galaxy. Let me know if this info helps one way or other as I could ask a couple of my friends who are mechanics and have helped me out time and time again. Good luck and happy motoring. john wood from Essex

Submitted: 02/01/2014 14:36:39 | ID: 60064

Idowu Ismail, Middlesex

Ford Galaxy 2001

My Ford Galaxy auto 2.3 will not engage reverse. After scanning it shows P0700. Can anybody provide a solution on this?

Submitted: 31/12/2013 10:06:40 | ID: 57580

Frank Rodgers, England

Ford Galaxy 1997

Hi there. I have a Ford Galaxy 2.3 petrol and yesterday I was fixing another problem on it when I knocked out the timing. Can anybody please tell me how do I start from scratch? Thank you.

Submitted: 23/12/2013 12:44:29 | ID: 59682

Nino Stils, County Tyrone

Ford Galaxy 2002

I have a Ford Galaxy 2002 model engine 2.3. If I push to drive and start to move the gear never selects. Can anyone tell me what is causing this problem and suggest a solution? (Europe)

I had a similar problem until eventually it stuck in 3rd. It turned out to be the gear selector cables. A good soaking with WD40 and 10mins working the gear stick freed it off. Doug Croucher from Aberdeenshire

Submitted: 20/12/2013 12:15:49 | ID: 59584

Steven, Hertfordshire

Ford Galaxy 1999

Hi there. I have a Ford Galaxy 2.3. When I start the car in the morning I can go about a mile up the road but then it will stutter for a few seconds, then go back to normal. Then it is fine till the morning. Any suggestions please?

Submitted: 17/12/2013 15:52:53 | ID: 58255

David Bedford, Devon

Ford Galaxy 1996

I have a 1996 Ford Galaxy tdi and the brake pedal sinks and there`s a hissing noise from behind the radio/centre console area? Can anyone tell me what`s causing the problems?

Hi. I had exactly the same thing happen to my 1997 Galaxy right before the brakes went. Brake fluid went everywhere. That in turn can corrode anything it touches! I hope you got it sorted and didn’t drive it Shelley Lammali from England

Submitted: 17/12/2013 09:39:31 | ID: 85863

Jonathan Faint, England

Ford Galaxy 2001

Hi, I am trying to replace the instrument cluster on my Ford Galaxy but cannot find a way to get to the two screws that hold it in? (1.9tdi)

Submitted: 16/12/2013 14:12:03 | ID: 92840