FORD FOCUS questions and answers

FORD Focus

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD FOCUS models. Help and advice on everything FORD FOCUS. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD FOCUS questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Chris, Leicestershire

My front passenger side window will not go down. I took the motor out and when the switch is pressed it only rotates in one direction. This is also true when trying to operate it from the driver's side switch.

Submitted: 23/07/2014 10:40:36 | ID: 100196

Jose Rey Garinganao, Philippines

Hi, please help me with my ford focus 2010 hatch back 1.8L petrol SE variant. I can not start the engine, I have noticed when the ignition key is in 'on' position, the reverse light in my rear bumper is lit on despite changing into any gear position. does this mean it was interlocked in reverse? and what shall I do next to rid off from this position so I could start her up, now my car is left in a parking lot in a mall and I want to bring her to a garage but could not even start it up.

Submitted: 20/07/2014 13:08:46 | ID: 100041

Brendon johnson, Nottinghamshire

After turning ignition off. There's a clicking noise at all doors and then all door windows open Thanks

Submitted: 19/07/2014 16:24:44 | ID: 99993

John Kelly, City of Dundee

What does it mean when my heater light comes on when I let the turbo kick in? I've had it on the computer and nothing comes up

Submitted: 17/07/2014 14:51:17 | ID: 99851

paul kennedy, Aberdeenshire

My car has been back to the dealer who assures me that this vehicle doesn't have one touch windows. The window goes all the way down but you have to hold your finger on the button to put the window up. Is this correct or is he having me on? My 2000 astra had one touch windows so surely this thing must?

Submitted: 16/07/2014 15:11:13 | ID: 99786

sophia davies, Swansea

Hello there, can anyone please help me, i'm desperate to find out the code for my radio!

Submitted: 13/07/2014 11:50:57 | ID: 99565

Crystal, United States of America

I have a 2010 Ford Focus. I have Sirius Radio and a Cd player that came with the car when I bought it new. My car stereo is now acting up it plays and then cuts out all the time, even when I play the CD player and local radio channels, WHY? What do I need to look for?

Submitted: 06/07/2014 15:24:12 | ID: 99079

Crystal, United States of America

My car stereo which has Sirius radio and cd player. It cuts out all the time even on CD'S. What is the problem?

Submitted: 06/07/2014 15:20:49 | ID: 99078

Frank Clegg, Lancashire

Why does my Ford Focus` heater thermal fuse keep failing? I replaced the fuse 8 times but it`s still failing?

Submitted: 04/07/2014 12:40:29 | ID: 98943

Roger, Southampton

Every time I try to fuel my car the pump starts clicking off. Any ideas, as this happens whereever I fuel?

Submitted: 04/07/2014 10:10:44 | ID: 98939

Del, Dorset

Hi there. I have a Focus TDCi on a 52 plate and I'd like a rough idea how much in fuel it would cost to drive from Poole in Dorset to Peterborough? Journey time is 3.25hrs/146miles. Cheers Del Lopez

Submitted: 03/07/2014 18:40:58 | ID: 98911

owen sanderson, Buckinghamshire

I have a Ford focus st-3,and my heater and electric windows won't work.

I have a Ford focus st-3,and my heater and windows don't work. owen sanderson from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 27/06/2014 20:31:48 | ID: 98559

Ernesto, United States of America

The gages and the lights in side the caven are going crazy what can cause that problema?

Submitted: 26/06/2014 20:55:01 | ID: 98523

Jane DOLTON , Berkshire

Please help me. I bought a new Ford Focus in 2004 and drove it for four years but then had to take it off the road. It has 36,000 on the clock and was kept under cover for 6 years. I put a new battery in it and it won't fire up, it sounds like it is trying to start up but won't. So far two mechanics have looked at it, fiddled under the bonnet and charged me for their service but have not got it started.I'm a woman on my own and as I can't get it to a garage I am being charged a call out charge each time I get someone out. Can anyone help? Thank you very much.

Hi Jane, its not going to be easy to diagnose without inspecting the vehicle, is it petrol or diesel for starters? Neil from West Midlands

Hi Jane, it`s not going to be easy to diagnose without inspecting the vehicle. Is it petrol or diesel for starters? Neil from West Midlands

Hello Neil It's a 1.6. Petrol 5door Focus. It sounds like it wants to start up and it backfires. Thank you very much, Jane Jane DOLTON from Berkshire

Submitted: 23/06/2014 22:41:40 | ID: 98325

George, Powys

I cant get into reverse 1st 3rd or 5th but the others are ok can you help please

Submitted: 22/06/2014 17:32:21 | ID: 98243

David, Aberdeenshire

Engine light comes on when I start car then flashes when in 5th gear

Submitted: 22/06/2014 08:08:08 | ID: 98214

lynda bradley, Ireland

how do i know if the ball joint on my car has an 18 mil or 21 mil taper?

Submitted: 19/06/2014 16:36:36 | ID: 98042

Ray, Nottinghamshire

My December 2009 regs. Ford Focus Est. has problems with the instrument computer it appears to have failed as nothing is now displayed. How is this repaired and at what cost.

Submitted: 18/06/2014 15:59:45 | ID: 97971

Celia Button, Brighton & Hove

When i put my foot down on the clutch there is a whirring noise whilst changing gear.

Submitted: 18/06/2014 08:15:49 | ID: 97948

Sam Lee-French, Greater Manchester

I have a Mark 1 Ford Focus that won't start. It has been parked for 6 months, so I re-charged the battery overnight before trying to start it. The lights came on and the dials spun around and there was a whirring wheezing sound, but no clicking sound or the sound of the engine attempting to start or turn over. I've tried starting using jumper cables from another car, but that didn't make any difference. I also tried adding fuel to the petrol tank, but that made no difference either. Any ideas for the next step?

Try checking the power management fuse which is the #9 20 amp fuse, have a look if it's still ok if not then change it... If it's fine then just simply put it back in and this should reset it.. Had the same problem just this afternoon and that's how I've fixed it.. Good luck John from Herefordshire

Thank you John, I will try that later this week Sam Lee-French from Greater Manchester

Submitted: 14/06/2014 21:35:11 | ID: 97691

john clements, City of Glasgow

Iam trying to put the engine cover back on thanks

Submitted: 11/06/2014 20:50:35 | ID: 97446

tony o brien, Cork

Hi I recently changed the battery in my 05 Ford Focus 1.4 saloon LX and now the radio won`t work. It`s asking me for a code which I do not have. Can anyone help please? Model number on my radio is M120869, regards

Try 0865 Lee from Staffordshire

Your radio code could be on a label in your glovebox? Kat from Australia

Submitted: 09/06/2014 09:38:02 | ID: 97269

carolyn, Blackpool

Weni turn heater on it makes a lowd noice and no heat comes out

Submitted: 09/06/2014 09:09:52 | ID: 97265

dave, United States of America

I was at a stoplight and my car made a funny sound then I wasn't able to pull off what will cause this problem

Submitted: 07/06/2014 14:54:25 | ID: 97122

Fabian, South Africa

Hi. Upon starting the gauges flicker for 3-5 seconds Before returning to normal. Any ideas?

Submitted: 07/06/2014 13:30:45 | ID: 97108

Rob Campbell, Cumbria

Hi Yesterday I was driving around my town in my 2002 Ford Focus 1.6, went to change gear and it all of a sudden went loose, I was stuck in one particular gear and unable to find any grip on my gear stick. I pulled the leather cover off to look under to see the gear stick connection, it's like a metal ball connection that's goes into a plastic housing cap, that had come apart, I think the plastic had worn and not got the grip anymore to stay attached, just wondering how easy this is to replace and what the part a require is called so I order it can do it. Or if needs a garage what cost am I looking at? Many thanks Rob

Submitted: 07/06/2014 11:55:43 | ID: 97100

tony, Gloucestershire

can any one tell me wiy the fuel gadg and temp go half way when turnd of but ok when car is turn on

Submitted: 06/06/2014 18:49:38 | ID: 97059

Debbie, West Midlands

I would like to know if it's possible to repair the lock on the boot and how much should it cost? I would like to know if it can be opened &closed manually without using the eletronic device in the car? Thanks Debbie

Submitted: 05/06/2014 19:20:58 | ID: 97000

paul, Surrey

There is a buzzing type noise when changing from 1st to 2nd gear?

Submitted: 04/06/2014 21:09:03 | ID: 96925

kajol, South Africa

I have a ford focus 1.6 and the water bottle cap has broken of its seal .This is the 2nd time that it has happend ,so this cap is almost new. Can you please tell me how to keep this from happening or what could be causing it.

Submitted: 04/06/2014 07:22:23 | ID: 96863

brian, Canada

My wipers are working very slowly or not at all. Any ideas?

Submitted: 03/06/2014 14:33:43 | ID: 96803

Arianna Will, United States of America

Hi, I own a 2002 Ford Focus and it has this horrible rumbling and vibration when in gears other than park or neutral. It seems to be the worst in reverse. I'm not sure if it is the motor mount or not since it is not as bad in drive.

Submitted: 03/06/2014 02:20:18 | ID: 96769

abbas, West Yorkshire

hi can you help me please i have a ford focus 1.8 deisel it wont start with forst second third times or sometime all it does clicking the eginge with pushing straight coming on no lights on dash it drives perfect with plenty power

Submitted: 30/05/2014 02:51:40 | ID: 96483

Michael, Bedfordshire

Hi I have a focus 08 plate and I have had problems with my CV,boots I took my car to the garage and the man side the ball joint arms look like thay could be the wrong way round,that's why the boots are twisted and split all the time,is it possible to put on the wrong sides and could that be possible.thank you

Submitted: 28/05/2014 15:51:56 | ID: 96348

Georgia, West Midlands

1st and 3rd gear will not engage the car has only done 62,000 despite being a 2001 year and up until now has run perfectly. Is this my gearbox that is in need of replacing?!

It,is more than possible it is the gear linkage has moved mark from Tyne and Wear

Submitted: 25/05/2014 01:19:12 | ID: 96097

Michelle, United States of America

Hello I own a 2009 ford focus and it recently developed a high pitched ringing sound , there are no alert lights on And the sound last about a min .long only right after I start the car . The sound is similar to the sound of a ( hot tea pot ) I can't figure out what it is ..

check the pipes if any of them come off or if its deisel check the turbu pipe it might have a hole in it abbas from West Yorkshire

Submitted: 24/05/2014 09:39:28 | ID: 96049

Chris, Canada

I have a 2001 Ford Focus that has been sitting for 7 months, it will now not start. The battery has been charged and is fine, all lights, stereo, etc work fine. When you turn the key, just makes a clicking sound. To me sounds like a starter problem, however I can't see why the starter would go when the car has been sitting for 7 months?? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Clicking of the starter motor is nearly always a loose connection in the battery lead circuit or a poor battery. I would suspect the battery, having been flat for 7 months. It may have been charged enough to run the lights etc. but still not be enough to start the car. It also could have built up corrosion between the terminals and the battery leads. Pull off both battery leads and clean the insides of terminals and posts with some sand paper to ensure a great electrical connection. If this doesn't work jump start using another good battery. Check the battery leads to make sure the leads are still tightly connected to the battery post clamps. Failing this, you will have to get an auto electrician to put power directly onto the starter motor to by-pass all else in the starter circuit. If it does the same then, a new starter is probably assured. This is not so likely. Problem will surely be a bad batery or a bad connection. Good luck. Chris Lyons from Australia

Submitted: 20/05/2014 23:22:08 | ID: 95817

matthew, Cumbria

I have just bought a ford focus when you start the engine sometimes the speedo and milage indecator Doesn't come on when you drive off 5 minutes later it comes back on what can I do to sort this problem Please help

Speed sensor A Dooley from Surrey

Submitted: 18/05/2014 21:11:17 | ID: 95680

charlie, Portsmouth

When i turn the engine on the thermometer is blank with a frost warning light on constantly and engine warning light comes on. But there is no frost or ice?

Submitted: 16/05/2014 19:13:10 | ID: 95598

Colin Mann, Norfolk

I have just purchased a Ford Focus Flight 1.6 petrol 5 door and found it to be very noisy when driving. The noise seems to go through you, although with the bonnet up the engine is quiet. There seems to be a vibration when changing gears. It`s already had a complete exhaust fitted plus cat before I bought it. Any idea what it could be as it has me stumped? It is a mk1 52 plate

Submitted: 08/05/2014 21:44:26 | ID: 95264