FORD FOCUS questions and answers

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD FOCUS models. Help and advice on everything FORD FOCUS. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD FOCUS questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

r robbins, West Sussex

my engine suddenly dies. The engine warning light comes on . I leave the car for ten minutes and it starts again. then it happens again and the car comes to a standstill.

Submitted: 24/04/2016 10:28:25 | ID: 130754

Mohmed, Lancashire

ford galaxy ghia 2009 instrument panel switches off, rev meter goes to zero, so does the mileometer also, engine temp and fuel gauge, all at zero. The central console lights have gone out but the radio still plays, the heaters work, but I can't see any display for the heating A/C etc.

Submitted: 09/04/2016 07:05:18 | ID: 130135

steve, Darlington

my ford focus had a complete electrical blackout nothing worked car wouldnt stsrt i got some jump leads put on and it started up to now all seems to be working fine any ideas as to the problem

Submitted: 30/03/2016 15:47:39 | ID: 129685

Gaz, Tyne and Wear

Would a 60 plate interior fit straight into my 55 plate they are both 5 door thanks

Submitted: 28/03/2016 19:07:32 | ID: 129588

sarah scott, Dorset

My fan only works on 4 and the front demister isnt working , any ideas why ?

The fan issue sounds like the fan speed regulator or rheostat may be faulty or loose/poor connection to it. The demister issue may be a fuse or may be connected to the rheostat issue R Evans from Caerphilly

Submitted: 12/03/2016 18:38:23 | ID: 128907

sarah scott, Dorset

My fan is only working on 4 and the front windscreen demister isnt working . Any ideas of the cause ?

Submitted: 12/03/2016 18:36:40 | ID: 128906

Arnel Delena, Portsmouth

Luggage compartment unlocks and unlocks by itself even when driving. Sensor keeps beeping.

Submitted: 11/03/2016 09:40:49 | ID: 128845

Mick, Lancashire

My 1.6 tdci focus 2011 has started to whine when idle and at low revs, anybody any ideas whether this is a common problem and what it could possibly be?

Submitted: 06/03/2016 20:20:11 | ID: 128647

DYLAN WILSON, Kent

Hi I have a problem with my 2005 plate Ford Focus in that when it's been raining overnight, I get the Limited Speed Mode and Engine Management light come on. 9 times out of 10, if I let it run for two minutes till it's warmed up, then restart it the issue goes away. The fault codes, 4 in total, indicated the throttle assembly needed replacing, so I had this done as well as new spark plugs and ignition leads, but I still have the same issues. I have no other issues with the car and runs well. I just can't understand what's causing this and why only when it's raining. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 04/03/2016 07:56:47 | ID: 128502

John, Surrey

My hazard warning lights won't turn off and alarm keeps going off. Can't even drive car now as four way lights won't turn off.Tryed to disconnect battery and still didn't work. Any ideas? Would be very very grateful.

Submitted: 22/02/2016 16:56:26 | ID: 128016

John, Surrey

I have a focus ST170 2003 had a flat battery so used a power pack to start it.Since then hazard lights won't turn off and the alarm goes off randomly. Tryed to disconnect the battery but it lights still go off. Had mechanic out and even he had no idea.I can't drive it as can't use indicators as four way lights won't go out. Please please help.

Submitted: 22/02/2016 16:45:40 | ID: 128015

Mike t, Cornwall

I bought this car six months ago and the emmisio. Light is after the engine has started

Submitted: 21/02/2016 12:10:34 | ID: 127954

Mike t, Cornwall

Why is my emmisio. Light on?

Submitted: 21/02/2016 12:01:11 | ID: 127952

Mike t, Cornwall

Why is my emmisio light on

Submitted: 21/02/2016 11:59:12 | ID: 127951

Crofts, Cambridgeshire

Battery light keeps coming on after travelling about 100 yards and then stays on

Submitted: 20/02/2016 12:17:28 | ID: 127891

trevor furniss, South Africa

hi there pls could u tell me the problem with my ford focus the engine warning light keeps coming up thanks

Submitted: 14/02/2016 20:27:43 | ID: 127595

Graham, Middlesbrough

Just wondering if anyone can help, I have 2004 focus St 170 custom pack with 9006 cd unit and sub, the problem is when a cd is playing it switches to radio and resets all the CDs on engine start up , also I can hear the sub boom , has anyone else had this problem and found out the cause?

Submitted: 14/02/2016 13:50:29 | ID: 127562

Garry, Lincolnshire

when I drive no matter the road conditions the roof keeps rattling and banging. it does not leak at all . so i was wondering if there is some way for stopping this from happening.

Submitted: 12/02/2016 21:28:37 | ID: 127506

peter, Merseyside

Can someone help I have found out that my reverse light is not working but bulb & fuse are fine thanx

Submitted: 04/02/2016 19:29:00 | ID: 127141

Jason, Kent

Does any one no why st170 is jerking when I hit over 3-4000 rpm under these rpm it runs fine just when I go to boot it a bit all I get is jerking

Submitted: 22/01/2016 20:32:56 | ID: 126551

robert mccarten, County Down

my 2006 ford focus 1800 sport has been intermittingly draining the battery. I do not use the car a lot but when it has been driven for aaprox 20 miles then parked overnight it turns over once and then the battery is completely flat. I tend to use the car approx. 4 times a week for about 10 to 20 miles each time. The battery was changed a year ago for the same reason. I recently got the reversing sensors and reversing sensors fixed with a new bulb and switch in the engine for the sensors . the car was parked for 2 weeks and started first time. This lasted for about a week and then started to drain again. I took the car to an auto spark who said he would look at the vehicle but it could end up taking about 3 weeks to find the fault. He could not give me any idea of what it would cost. If the vehicle was tested on a diagnostic machine would that identify the problem. Please advise me what to try next.

Could be the alternator. Halfords are able to check this for you. Or you can buy a fault finder that you can use yourself.Its a lot cheaper than calling someone out. Hope this helps. John from Surrey

Could be the alternator you can buy a fault finder that you can use yourself.Its a lot cheaper than calling someone out. You just plug it in and then you get a fault code. Hope this helps. John from Surrey

It may also happen, that the battery does not get enough time or miles to charge enough. Cold, wet weather, short distances, rarely in use, electric gadget in the car, they use electricity also when parked, etc. all together. And then the battery easily gets empty within some time. You've used time and tried ti fix it already so... don' t know if this is silly to suggest this in your case, Anyway there are also much quality issues in different batteries. Some are very durable some not. Have you tried this simple thing? Detach the negative (black) battery cable every time when you leave your car in park for a few days and check this way does it loose its power. It takes a bit work and patience, but its also cheap way to check the battery's electricity loss. Also of course you have to reset some things like the cloc etc. again... but you do it only once after 2 weeks or so when you're sure that its not the battery alone which is the issue right now. -My husband would probably rather buy the fault finder (lol), but if you want you can try. Kirsi Kauko from Finland

Sorry, It seemed not work to send the answer... Kirsi Kauko from Finland

Sorry, don't know why it send so many times... once would have been ok. :( Kirsi Kauko from Finland

Submitted: 21/01/2016 16:56:44 | ID: 126503

Mike Byrne, Merseyside

Can someone please give me some help. My radio and bluetooth have suddenly stopped working for no reason, it is completley dead. All I can do is press the menu button and see the options for 'clock' and display'. I have also noticed that the centre console lights stay stay on even when the car is locked. I went out this morning and they have been on all night. Has anyone had the same problem?

Submitted: 10/01/2016 15:51:56 | ID: 125863

stephanie, United States of America

I have a 2012 ford focus, starts up just fine, but when I attempt to put in any gear, does not feel like it is engaging and will not move. Please help.

Submitted: 08/01/2016 15:00:43 | ID: 125740

Mike, Kent

This vehicle is keyless entry and push button start/stop. Could someone tell me where the cigar lighter is located so I can plug in my Garmin satnav.

Submitted: 24/12/2015 23:46:05 | ID: 125106

Jay, South Africa

hi i have a ford focus 1600 2005 model . i am trying to find out what parts i need for my left-hand door for my central locking system, i have all the wearing part no 7m5t-14a584 there is a big socket that need a sensor remote control part that is missing on the door for the central locking can you please help me with the part number or what it is call

Submitted: 08/12/2015 07:48:07 | ID: 124460

David Brown , United States of America

I have water leaking into back floorboard on drivers side and under drivers seat. Where would it be coming from?

Submitted: 02/12/2015 22:59:09 | ID: 124302

james, West Sussex

hi my three month old ford focus st2 with 2000mls on clock has an amber message come up saying engine service now and when this message is showing the car is juddering with no power then you re start the car and message disappears and the car runs fine ford connected it to the computer and nothing comes up any help please? the problem has happened on three separate occasions and all ford say now is give it to us for 2 days and we will drive it around

Give it to them for 2 days m8, it wont fix its self, im guessing its under warranty still ? pat from Greater London

Submitted: 26/11/2015 20:10:18 | ID: 124056

Anita Dilks, Norfolk

Cannot engage gears when engine running only when engine off. Fixed by rolling car back and forth. Sometimes, unable to get any gears when driving.

Submitted: 19/11/2015 15:37:32 | ID: 123701

James, Surrey

I,am having a problem when put my foot brake the front lights flicker can you give me any idea what look for I have clean and change earthing bolts and the wire connection,s Thanks

Submitted: 15/11/2015 13:22:21 | ID: 123527

Hannah, Highland

I have a 1.8 zetec, i get to half a tank and the car engine breaks, even worse when i try to accelerate. I know it isnt the fuel filter because it was changed in February when i did a full complete service on her or MAS because it only doesnit when it goes below half a tank on a (longish) journey. Any ideas?

Submitted: 12/11/2015 00:28:43 | ID: 123409

t lucas, Kent

Mine is acc2 cabriolet problem wants to hold back when steady driving also diesel fumes in cab

Submitted: 01/11/2015 08:40:11 | ID: 122964

R Edwards, Staffordshire

engine on my 1.8 Zetec petrol has suddenly started to race at idling and will not stop, accelerator is not sticking so what may be other likely causes?

i had same problem with mondeo was the fuel pump not returning the fuel to the tank it was going in to the turbo john from Blackpool

Submitted: 29/10/2015 10:37:20 | ID: 122846

William, North Ayrshire

front passenger and rear doors not opening using the remote on the key, won't open either from the inside. the passenger front can be opened from the outside with the key. rear doors can't be opened . driver's door opens with remote or key . grateful for any help.

Submitted: 16/10/2015 00:15:26 | ID: 122372

Dee Jaye, West Midlands

The reverse lights on my ford focus auto do not light up. I know they are working as they flash when I lock the vehicle.

Fixed thank you Dee Jay from West Midlands

Fixed thank you Dee Jaye from West Midlands

Submitted: 11/10/2015 01:41:43 | ID: 122169

tom, Staffordshire

Hello I have a 2006 1.6 focus zetec climate I have just replaced the factory fitted cd/radio player with a pioneer dab/cd player fitted by halfords it works great but when I detatch the front off the player for security and lock the car after a while my alarm starts going off it only stops when I switch it off via my key I reset but it does it again the only time my alarm doesn't go off is when I leave the front of the stereo on which is defeating the object I have taken it back to halfords and they've checked to make sure it's all wired up properly they even replaced the unit thinking it might be faulty but it's still doing it can anyone help.

Submitted: 26/09/2015 17:26:01 | ID: 121658

Jeff, Aberdeenshire

Hi there I have a 2003 focus st 170 AV had it for 6 months but there's a problem, the battery lights came on today and The steering a become very heavy , power steering problems prob, car still running but ain't chancing it, any ideas folks??

Submitted: 24/09/2015 20:41:30 | ID: 121608

Asher heath, West Midlands

Everytime I turn my car on or off it makes an alarming sound from the drivers side of the dashboard, and then goes off after about 10 seconds. What could possibly be causing this?

Submitted: 21/09/2015 16:29:36 | ID: 121446

Ben, Worcestershire

Recently found out I had an oil leak and the car broke down. Topped it back up and it started running again but it makes a loud clicking noise and have whitey blue smoke coming out the exhaust and also cuts out when I come to a stand still. Will not idle when driving but will when its stationery

Submitted: 21/09/2015 14:44:48 | ID: 121442

Si, Essex

Should my doors lock automatically when I reach about 10mph,if so can I turn it off? Thanks

Submitted: 17/09/2015 23:29:59 | ID: 121309

John McLaren, Renfrewshire

My car has suddenly developed a loud engine noise when i go above 40mph and gets progressively louder as i accelerate to 70pmh?

Submitted: 17/09/2015 18:31:26 | ID: 121294