FORD FOCUS questions and answers

FORD Focus

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD FOCUS models. Help and advice on everything FORD FOCUS. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD FOCUS questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Robert, Australia

I purchased a ford focus lx sedan 113000 Klm I recently had it serviced my problem I have noticed in the morning when I reverse out drive way And apply breaks a loud groaning noise as it warms up It goes away is this some thing I have to worry about Also when I start the car the message I get is power steering failure When I put in drive in goes away

Submitted: 08/04/2014 23:46:56 | ID: 93535

Sandra White, Scotland

Ford Focus 2009

My Ford Focus has a message which appears as engine malfunction - with a picture of a car with skid marks. The car gradually loses power and the message disappears if you turn off the engine and then restart it. Can anyone explain why it`s doing this please? (Zetec TDi)

Submitted: 01/04/2014 14:05:27 | ID: 93787

David Fookes, England

Ford Focus 2004

When I am driving my Ford Focus at a normal speed every week or two the engine revs will slow down and there is a lot of smoke. It only lasts for a few minutes and then all is normal again. Is it one of the filters, DPF, oil or air? Many thanks. (TDCi)

Submitted: 31/03/2014 11:15:34 | ID: 93614

Sherina T, United States of America

Ford Focus 2009

When I put my Ford Focus into reverse it does nothing. When I hit the gas pedal while it`s in reverse it jerks really hard. When it`s in drive it takes it a while to move until I hit the gas pedal hard. Can someone please help me?

Submitted: 24/03/2014 15:32:33 | ID: 61996

Bob Horgan, Australia

Ford Focus 2010

The audio console in my Ford Focus flicks on and off rapidly for up to 30 seconds, causing the tail and parking lights to do the same. This occurs once every second day. Has anybody encountered this problem and knows what might be causing it? I have read the owner`s manual but does not explain how to rectify the problem. (LX)

Submitted: 21/03/2014 14:40:07 | ID: 63184

Sanjiv Jankee, England

Ford Focus 2008

My Ford Focus` speedometer starts from 10 miles per hour or sometimes it gets stuck. Why is this happening?

Submitted: 14/03/2014 16:12:59 | ID: 62826

Michaela Rogers, England

Ford Focus 2012

I`m having problems with the start stop technology kicking in on my Ford Focus. Had the car three weeks and it`s had some good runs, furthest from Stockport to Wales so the battery should be well charged. Dealer says the battery isn`t charged enough, even to test it (at 70%) so they are keeping it overnight. Has anyone heard of this problem as I`ve never come accross it before? (Zetec 1.6 Diesel)

Submitted: 13/03/2014 10:50:00 | ID: 62717

Coiln O`Connor, Ireland

Ford Focus 2011

I have a Ford Focus. I have problems with the off side front oil seal on half shaft, even on very low mileage. Any ideas? (Titanium)

Submitted: 10/03/2014 11:16:40 | ID: 62550

Kelsey, United States of America

Ford Focus 2002

My Ford Focus will only shift into reverse if the engine is revved, then jolts into gear. It seems to drive fine in drive, without any jerky shifting between gears, but will jerk slightly when driving between 30 and 40 mph. The fluid has no grittiness, and is the right colour. The car has 208,000 miles with rebuilt motor. What could the problem be and do I need a new transmission?

It’s your transmission, after a while your gears are gonna start sliding and go out on your transmission, just dealt with the same problem Eli Rodz from United States of America

Submitted: 04/03/2014 15:15:52 | ID: 62569

Rick Johnston, United States of America

Ford Focus 2005

My Ford Focus blew a transmission line leaking out the fluid. Now the motor seems to be locked up. Any suggestions please?

Submitted: 03/03/2014 11:18:09 | ID: 61444

Steve John, Wales

Ford Focus 2002

Hi. I have a Ford Focus 1600 and my gearbox oil seal is leaking on the driver`s side. Is it an job to do? Thanks for any reply.

Submitted: 28/02/2014 09:55:49 | ID: 62412

Linda, Australia

Ford Focus 2012

I can’t for the life of me work out where to fill up the rear wiper on my Ford Focus.? Can you help? (Trend)

The washer bottle in the engine bay feeds both front and rear washers. Graham from Kent

Submitted: 27/02/2014 09:25:38 | ID: 62379

Dave, United States of America

Ford Focus 2012

My Ford Focus` instrument panel shows a fuel pump symbol. Next to the fuel tank symbol is a circle with a slash through it. Can you tell me what this means?

Submitted: 18/02/2014 14:36:41 | ID: 62214

Jim Bebb, Lanarkshire

Ford Focus 2011

I have a 2011 Ford Focus. The problem is the side lights will not come on, or one will for a short time and then go out. Sometimes when reverse gear is selected the o/s light comes on and then goes out when reverse gear is deselected. Bulbs have been changed and fuse checked. I have removed the bulb on the o/s and only got 4.5v and got 11.5 on n/s, then sometimes I get no reading at all. It is due in to get checked in a few days at the garage, but I was wondering as it is outside the 1 year warranty do you think Ford will pick the bill up if there is a wiring fault? I have a reference number from Ford customer care centre as I have reported the problem to them. Any suggestions please? (1.6 tdci Titanium X)

Submitted: 18/02/2014 14:11:47 | ID: 62210

Adam Bignall, England

Ford Focus 2001

Hi, I have a Ford Focus X reg. I have had the door interior off today on the driver`s door to change the central locking unit and am struggling to get it all back together? Can anyone give me step by step instructions or any advice? Regards.

Submitted: 18/02/2014 09:57:00 | ID: 62162

Damien Brett, England

Ford Focus 2001

My Ford Focus’ brake lights are staying on. I have checked the switch and it is not that. They stay on when I am not using the brake pedal. What is causing this problem please?

On the brake pedal you have two switches for your brake lights, either one of both of them are bad or the pedal is bended and it doesn’t activate the switch when you push it. Anyway, those are the only possible problems for you question. Take the switches off and try to push them with your hand, if you see your lights working you got your answer if not then check the voltage on the harnesses and finally just replace the switches. Max-777Motors from United States of America

I changed my brake switch on it I’m dealing with the same problem once you drive and accelerate to thirty miles and up they stay on and the other is for cruise control dohh or can that affect the brake lights too Eli Elirodz from United States of America

Submitted: 17/02/2014 10:24:23 | ID: 62156

Marge Sliter, Canada

Ford Focus 2000

Where on a 16 valve Ford Focus Zetec transaxle (with no dipstick) do you find the fill spout and the drain plug please? (Focus SE wagon)

Submitted: 14/02/2014 11:14:01 | ID: 62018

Steve Smith, England

Ford Focus 2000

I have a Ford Focus 1600 petrol and my oil light wil not light up. Does anybody know why?

Submitted: 14/02/2014 10:56:20 | ID: 60774

Tina Vigurs, England

Ford Focus 2009

I have a Ford Focus 1.6 16v Trend (04) there is a light flashing in between the water meter and the fuel gauge, it is flashing even when the car is turned off and locked. I am in Spain and only have a Spanish manual. I have tried to download it in English but cannot find the right manual. Please can you help?

Submitted: 11/02/2014 11:29:29 | ID: 62001

Crispin Smith, Suffolk

Ford Focus 2008

Is my Ford Focus` starter motor on the way out? When I turn the key it makes a horrible noise? (1.6 Zyrtec)

Submitted: 11/02/2014 11:07:27 | ID: 93357

David Kelly, Scotland

Ford Focus 2011

I have a problem with my 2011 Ford Focus, when I brake it feels it wants to go a bit further. Does anyone know why it would do this please?

Submitted: 11/02/2014 09:27:40 | ID: 93345

Corinne P, Sussex

Ford Focus 2003

Hi. The brake and fuel warning lights in my Ford Focus have remained on. I filled my car yesterday and the fuel gauge was showing as full. Today this is showing as empty when the car is on and once I have turned the car off it will show as half full. Is it possible the two are connected and how can I rectify the issue? Thanks.

Submitted: 07/02/2014 10:15:28 | ID: 61821

Lorina Harrington, England

Ford Focus 2001

My Ford Focus` speedo stops with a slight loss of power and the engine stalls when changing gear. Can anybody explain why it should do this please? (Ghia)

Submitted: 04/02/2014 10:30:56 | ID: 61681

Cory Sparks, United States of America

Ford Focus 2001

Hi. It was really cold out today and when I went out to start my 2001 Ford Focus I had to get a jump start. It started right up but when I put it in reverse it stalled. I had forgotten my seatbelt so I paused to put it on and now the car won`t start! I`ve just bought this car and the mechanic I had inspect the car said it was in good shape. It`s my first car and I don`t have money to tow it somewhere. What should I do? Thanks for any advice.

Submitted: 03/02/2014 10:02:56 | ID: 61599

James Baker, England

Ford Focus 2000

Sometimes my Ford Focus starts fine but then sometimes it does not. If I lift the bonnet and press down on the fuse box it will start straightaway. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 31/01/2014 16:07:30 | ID: 61525

Neil Boag, Shropshire

Ford Focus 2006

My 2006 Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI has developed a problem with the engine management light and brake light on the dash being on permanently and the outside temperature gauge isn’t working. The internal light is staying on all of the time unless I turn it off manually and the alarm won’t set. I had this trouble about 12 months ago but it cleared itself. Are all these problems due to cluster problems? Thanks.

I had the same problem on mine and it was the fuse box under the glove box. It had been knocked and disconnected. I just pushed the connectors back in and it solved the problem Dan Haycock from England

Submitted: 31/01/2014 09:52:25 | ID: 61547

Steve, Moray (Elgin) and Nairn Shire

Ford Focus 2005

Would I be able to use the catalyic converter from a Ford Focus hatchback ’99 1.8 on a Ford Focus saloon ’05 1.8?

Submitted: 28/01/2014 16:32:16 | ID: 61462

Mary Carley, Northamptonshire

Ford Focus 2006

Hi, please can someone help? I have had my Ford Focus for 6 years and never had a problem until now. When I switch it on nothing happens at least twice, the third time the engine comes on as does the warning light and all of the warning signs. When the warning lights go out several messages come up -transmission fault; system engine failure; acceleration reduced, which does actually happen. I lose the mileage and also the speedometer and it is driving me barmy. It has a full service history and has just had a service but the garage can’t work out what is wrong . Can anybody help? Thank you for your time.

Submitted: 28/01/2014 15:34:45 | ID: 61398

Tim Ebersole, United States of America

Ford Focus 2002

I own a 2002 Ford Focus zx3 2.0 Zetec engine. It needed the timing belt idler and tensioner replaced so I took it to a local mechanic. He calls me two days later, says I need a new engine because a compression / leak test has determined between cylinder one and two are blown via headgasket. I then have the car towed to Ford where they haven’t started inspecting this as of yet. What concerns me is Ford originally found the problem of the timing belt and said nothing about the headgasket at that time, but did inform me of no damage to valves and/or springs. Did the local mechanic purposely sabotage my engine? I have reason to believe this via my mother`s Caddy which was taken to the same guy years ago for a temperature sensor and two days later this same guy gives her the same story of headgasket blown between cylinders 1 and 2! I need help as I’m losing sleep trying to figure out what to do, it being my only means of transportation. PS the timing belt wasn’t on the car when I looked. I asked him about it and he said the belt had two teeth/grooves gone. Ford now have my vehicle, I should’ve never taken it to anyone other then Ford. Can anybody help me out?

Finding the right man for the job is an issue, why would you take your car to a place that you have doubts in? Weird choice, but anyway, you can have Ford perform a compression test on the vehicle that will actually inform you on your engine status. If initially your timing belt did have two broken teeth then 90% of the time you have a bent valve or more of them, the question is why did the car go to the shop? What were the initial symptoms? And yes, your mechanic can certainly bend the valves, but I doubt he will intentionally somehow burn the head gasket, on Z-Tec it’s not easy to do that. And if you do need just a gasket then why replace the engine? Replace the gasket. Max-777Motors from United States of America

Submitted: 28/01/2014 14:27:36 | ID: 61435

Suzanna Horton, Leicestershire

Ford Focus 2005

My Ford Focus mileage and radio light are staying on when all is powered off. Why?

Do not worry! It is designed to stay on for a period after switching off. If you check it half an hour later it should have switched off. Stuart Davey from Lothians

Submitted: 28/01/2014 12:45:00 | ID: 61354

Jonathan James, England

Ford Focus 2006

My Ford Focus is showing a red light and message ’speed liminator’ and the orange ’engine’ icon appears. What does this mean please?

Submitted: 23/01/2014 15:36:38 | ID: 61263

David, Aberdeenshire

Ford Focus 2008

I have a recurring problem with my Ford Focus. I’ve had it for a few years and every now and again the following happens: when I pull away from being stopped, I accelerate through first, second and then suddenly the car starts decelerating and the engine stalls. I’ve learned that I can keep the wheels rolling, restart the engine and it’ll function fine after that for a period of hours / days / weeks before happening again eventually. It almost feels as if the engine is suddenly starved of air or petrol and freaks out - kind of like when you stick your hand over the end of a vacuum cleaner? This problem can happen when the engine is warm OR cool. and I’m not exactly putting the pedal to the metal either.. My local garage have shrugged their shoulders about this a few times. I was told that it might have been a blocked fuel filter and that to prevent this I should regularly ensure that I run the engine at high rpm to ’blow out the cobwebs’, but I do this every day! The car is a diesel btw and I would really appreciate anyone taking the time to offer their advice as I’m a bit stuck right now. Any ideas please? Thanks guys. (Econetic)

Try a new battery. Richard from Cumberland

Submitted: 23/01/2014 14:10:14 | ID: 61307

Dave Smith, England

Ford Focus 2008

If I leave my lights on in my Ford Focus when I turn the engine off and take the keys out and get out of the car, I don’t get the warning bleeps anymore with the door open. It did bleep but now it doesn’t. What can I do about this please? (2.0 tdci)

Submitted: 23/01/2014 12:45:29 | ID: 61311

Colin Mann, England

Ford Focus 2003

I have a 53 plate Ford Focus 1.8 petrol hatchback zetec. When I start it from cold I hear a click and then the engine fan comes on for some unknown reason and the engine is cold. Why would it do this please?

If you have the air con switched on, the compressor will click and fans will cut in, hot or cold. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 16/01/2014 16:31:27 | ID: 60795

Julie Edwards, England

Ford Focus 2005

The battery on my Ford Focus was low. I tried to start it and it attempted to turn the engine over but on the third attempt it was completely flat, so I tried to jump start it but when I turned the ignition key in my car the engine wouldn`t do anything, no noise at all. The immobiliser light comes on and then continuously flashes about 70 times. The remote key fob is operating the doors but it won`t start the car. I called the AA out and they said that they couldn’t get my car to ’talk’ to their machine so suggested taking it to Ford. As I don`t want to be landed with the usual huge bill I decided against this. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be and can I fix it myself? Thanks.

Submitted: 16/01/2014 14:58:05 | ID: 60786

Geoff Deakin, England

Ford Focus 2008

Although all my Ford Focus` indicator lights work, the clicking sound that normally accompanies the indicators being used has stopped. Why?

Submitted: 14/01/2014 11:07:28 | ID: 60730

Paul Shepherd, Scotland

Ford Focus 2010

Hi, my Ford Focus heater has stopped working. The blower still works but no heat is coming out. What could the causes be? Thanks. (st3)

The only reason you don’t get any heating in your car is because there is no water in your coolant system. Check the level and run up the engine. Luke Jackson from England

Submitted: 14/01/2014 10:31:23 | ID: 60713

Daryl Pollitt, Lancashire

Ford Focus 2010

I have a Ford Focus and there is a disgusting smell coming through the vents. Someone suggested it`s pollen filter and that it would smell if wet. How would it get wet? How do I sort this? I`m scared of getting ripped off if I don’t know what it is. I have spent the whole day scrubbing the inside. and spraying freshener, but it’s like a fishy smell and I can’t use the car whilst it’s like this? (1.6 Zetec)

I had the same problems with a Peugeot - it turned ouy to be fungus forming in the a/c. You need to check the inlet pipes filters etc. Good luck cabbychap from Essex

Submitted: 14/01/2014 10:06:13 | ID: 60707

Mark Coxill, England

Ford Focus 2004

My Ford Focus is letting in water in the boot and on the drivers side floor and back seat floor. Any suggestions please?

I would recommend you to check the door frame seals and if they are all good then I am sure that you have a sunroof? If yes the  sunroof water evacuating lines are either clogged or cracked (located on each corner of the sunroof assy behind your headliner). If none of those are an answer to your issue then see if you have a coolant loss in your system, if yes then a cracked heater core will be your answer; the fluid from the leak is going underneath your carpet upfront and the motion of driving it circulates the water back ’n’ forth getting the entire area wet. Max-777Motors from United States of America

Submitted: 14/01/2014 09:47:59 | ID: 60667

Anthony Barker, England

Ford Focus 2005

I cannot open my Ford Focus` diesel cap because the locks are playing up. Is there a catch so I can open my diesel cap without using my key?

Submitted: 13/01/2014 11:43:16 | ID: 60653