FORD FOCUS questions and answers

FORD Focus

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD FOCUS models. Help and advice on everything FORD FOCUS. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD FOCUS questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Sandra, Gloucestershire

There'a a '''clunk'' noise in the rear end when I've gone over a speed platform.......on the exit side .......... as though something in the boot had jumped up and down again . No problem on ordinary roads .

Submitted: 22/05/2015 22:12:53 | ID: 116365

darren, Yorkshire

ive got juddering when breaking at high speeds its been back to garage and they say the discs and pads are fine they have put copper stuff all over the discs which means its not juddering as bad. any idea what the juddering could be?

Submitted: 21/05/2015 19:07:31 | ID: 116326

zoe, Swansea

ford focus 1.6 diesel ghia indicators stopped working and the hazzrds have also stoped and window heaters it seems like the car has had a major meltdown help ... p.s i have no idea of the year or reg its my partners car thanks zoe

Submitted: 21/05/2015 17:19:24 | ID: 116323

Josh, Norfolk

Hi I have a Ford Focus 1.6 petrol haven't had the car very long but got a problem with the revs dropping off and the car feeling sluggish and when the revs drop off the battery light flashes I have changed the spark plugs coil pack and ht leads it's been on three different diagnostic machines and nothing is showing it happens for a couple days then goes again then comes back no warning lights at all. I need help as every garage says they don't no unless they strip the engine.

Submitted: 16/05/2015 13:32:50 | ID: 116097

janet, Hampshire

My Cat converter has gone on my 55 plate Focus. I would like to know how much this should cost to be fixed and how much it would be worth to sell privately? ..Or how much it would be worth selling as it is? Many thanks. Janet

Submitted: 10/05/2015 20:54:39 | ID: 115853

key, Greater Manchester

Fitted a new header tank, now a few days later removed cap to top level then suddenly it leaks from thermostat soon as the cap is back on stops and runs fine?

Submitted: 10/05/2015 15:09:17 | ID: 115840

F. Boniface, Hull

I have just had a new ignition switch fitted 2 months ago as my car would not start first time, just dashboard lights came on and no other noises in the engine. It`s still doing it, taken it back 3 times and it started every time for him. Omg, ! can get out to go in shops for 10 mins, get back in the car and it won't start right away, 5-6 times or more turning the key before it starts. Is it possible that the switch isn't in correctly or could it be something else? Baffled / frustrated.

Submitted: 10/05/2015 12:09:37 | ID: 115834

Ashley, Essex

Can anybody help,I have noticed my CD player in my 2013 ford focus gets hot,the CDs come out hot

Submitted: 05/05/2015 19:11:00 | ID: 115607

Alex Arthur, Midlothian

Can you please explain how I can turn on/off child locks on this car

Submitted: 03/05/2015 10:41:41 | ID: 115513

Andrew, Cambridgeshire

Hi, I've started getting a problem when I've been driving for half an hour or so and then sit in traffic. Every now and then the dash seems to shut down, do a full range sweep on the dials, give a single beep and then works fine. The temp gauge seems fine so I can't definitely say it's an overheating issue.

Submitted: 27/04/2015 09:27:16 | ID: 115267

peter stanier, Stoke-on-Trent

child lock is on but there seems to be no keyhole by the catch to switch it off

Submitted: 26/04/2015 12:55:58 | ID: 115264

graham, South Africa

I have a Ford Focus 2008 Ambiente. When I start my vehicle the heat gauge goes straight to red. When I turn off the ignition the gauge remains there. Any answer on what it might be?

Submitted: 23/04/2015 15:26:14 | ID: 115111

Barry Boyle, United States of America

My glove compartment won't close. Husband leaned on it and it snapped open won't close. Please help...Thank You Theresa Boyle 610-565-5791.

Submitted: 07/04/2015 18:12:41 | ID: 114418

David Dingsdale, Cheshire

On two occasions, in a three month period, car wouldn't start and message "Engine Malfunction Service Now" appeared on dash. After about 10 minutes problem went away and car started ok. First occasion the car had been parked overnight and on the second occasion it had ben parked for about 5 hours. Any ideas why this should happen? Local Main Dealer said they were not aware of the problem and would need the fault to be present during diagnostics before they could offer a solution. Thanks

Hi i have the same problem did you seem to find problem also my one make click noise from passenger side. kausar from Greater London

Hi I bought the car, 13 registration, in November 2014. The problem has occurred twice, end December 2014 and 2nd March 2015. The problem hasn't reoccurred and I still don't know why it happened. On the first occasion I just left the car after repeated tries failed to clear the message and the car wouldn't start. Returning after about 10/15 minutes car started ok. On the second occasion, again I tried to clear the message and start the car but to no avail. I tried locking and unlocking the car several times. After about 10 minutes sitting in the car I pressed the "open door" button on the key fob rapidly three times. I then was able to start the car, but this might just have been coincidence. I did not notice any other noises from passenger door or anywhere else. If you Google "Ford Focus Engine Malfunction Service Now" it appears that the fault is not uncommon and a number of suggested reasons are given. Not all prevent the car from starting. If the problem reoccurs and I find a solution I will add it to this thread. David Dingsdale from Cheshire

Submitted: 28/03/2015 15:42:18 | ID: 113989

Tom, Gwynedd

Hi,can anybody tell me how to turn the cig lighter socket from being live all the time and to work off the Ingnition so it goes on and off with the ingnition switch as I want to use a dashcam. Cheers Tom.

Submitted: 20/03/2015 22:33:31 | ID: 113603

Gray, Warrington

Car will not start after putting new clutch in it?

Submitted: 17/03/2015 09:57:08 | ID: 113439

RSKing, Norfolk

is my focus zetec 1.6 tdci fitted with cam belt or chain 01/09/2008

Submitted: 13/03/2015 18:36:16 | ID: 113274

noel, Ireland

Just bought a Ford Focus Zetec S 2.0l. In the last couple of weeks and when I change gears it seems to hesitate for a couple of seconds then is fine and when I follow instructions on screen to change up a gear it seems to labour like I've changed slightly too early?

Submitted: 13/03/2015 09:44:39 | ID: 113248

Bavnut, Greater London

Hi last night I was reversing the car into the driveway when the battery light came on, and a humming sound started to come from the engine. This morning I woke up, drove the car. The problem is still there. There is a humming sound when I accelerate the car and when I slow down. when the car Idle's between 1000 and 2000 revs. The car seems to be fine. Could someone please help?

I had similar a couple of months ago, it was OK for a couple of weeks and then it died. I got recovered home and it turned out it was the alternator had given up. fitted a new one no more problems. had to reset engine light that had comre on when it broke down. Barry Goldfinch from Berkshire

Submitted: 12/03/2015 14:09:01 | ID: 113205

David Ravia, Yorkshire

When I turn headlights on my brake lights come on. I've replaced all the bulbs and no change

Submitted: 11/03/2015 03:39:57 | ID: 113130

Mary eccles, Suffolk

I have a 2011 focus cc3 diesel 2.0 does anyone know where I can get a rear boot spoiler Thanks Mary Eccles(Suffolk)

Submitted: 10/03/2015 18:14:16 | ID: 113109

Mary eccles, Suffolk

What causes a loud clunking noise from the rear of my Ford Focus 2011 cc3 when going over humps or uneven road. Sounds as if there is something loose in boot but I can not find anything. Mary Eccles (Suffolk)

I`m having exactly same thingMark from West Midlands

I`m having exactly same thingMark from West Midlands

I'm also having the same problem ! Sandra. Gloucester. Sandra from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 10/03/2015 18:08:15 | ID: 113108

Gary, Dorset

My 09 diesel focus cuts out and needs to be restarted. It happens only when my foot is OFF the accelerator. The EPS (stability control light) is the only thing to come on. The car has stalled and I can usually restart whilst still rolling or whilst standing. Very rarely have problems restarting. It started about a month ago. Happened only once in a week whilst waiting to pull out. I noticed the idle revs jump above 1000 to 1500 then down to 500. It was going back to normal idling when it cut out and the EPS came on. It happened a dozen times the following week and then was fine for two weeks. Last week it happened twice in one short journey and once the following day, then fine again. This week, Today, it cut out three times in a single journey. Twice whilst at junctions, but once at 40mph! I was once able to catch it at idling try to cut out, stopped it by adding pressure to the accelerator and sending revs to 2000. Well that covers everything I experienced. No strange sounds, no juddering, nothing to tell me the car engine wasn't running (really smooth running and idling). Really catches you out when you try to pull out and it doesn't move. Fortunately I convinced myself I stalled it, despite driving without stalling it for five years. Ruled out driver error (it's happened to my wife, mechanic mate at halfords and AA guy). Any ideas....can it be fixed, or do I avoid buying a ford? Had many cars over two decades. Usually easy to diagnose and fix......but this one has me troubled.....really hate intermittent faults like this. :(

Submitted: 10/03/2015 09:29:48 | ID: 113077

Rob, Cumbria

Hi under hard acceleration my the message light comes on is there a problem. I have had it less than a week.

Submitted: 07/03/2015 19:09:00 | ID: 112923

Rob, Cumbria

Submitted: 07/03/2015 19:08:17 | ID: 112922

Ms L, Hull

Why does my ford focus 1.8 turbo diesel judder when i go from 45 mph to 50 mph in 5th gear, but now i have noticed my engine warning light is on but not flashing and my temperature gauge is on cold all of a sudden and stays there but im still getting heat through heaters and my air con is working checked oil coolant etc and all is fine.

Submitted: 04/03/2015 20:38:38 | ID: 112756

Tom, East Sussex

Why is the dipped beam on my 2013 Focus st3 so poor? I understand it has Bi-xenon self adjusting head lights. The main beam is fine, however the dipped beam only shines a very short distance in front of the car making it very difficult to see on an unlit road. I have taken the car to my local dealer, they are a bit better but still not good. What's the problem?

Submitted: 23/02/2015 21:41:41 | ID: 112217

paul benton, West Midlands

Warning message on the dashboard to complete roof operation on my Focus convertible, also rear screen heater doesn't work when message is displayed?

Submitted: 23/02/2015 18:47:28 | ID: 112196

Debbie Barkhouse, West Lothian

Hi, my car is leaking a fair amount of diesel from underneath my car at the front driver`s side. I changed the fuel filter in case that was the problem. Now it`s not starting and I can smell diesel inside and out. Can't really see diesel on the engine though. If it`s a fuel injector will it cost a lot to fix?

Submitted: 22/02/2015 23:10:41 | ID: 112147

E Darlow, Dorset

ford focus 1.6 petrol zetec ghia automatic fault radiator fan comes on when interior heater is switched on even when cold.

Submitted: 20/02/2015 19:23:24 | ID: 112003

P GREENAWAY, Caerphilly

needle touching red on temperature gauge for about 10 seconds then going back to normal, seems to only happen when engine under load going up hill or on motorway.

Submitted: 15/02/2015 13:29:36 | ID: 111587

Dev, Greater London

Had my car serviced at fords yesterday. Noticed when I got the car back there was a little round cover missing in the drivers side footwell to the right under the steering weel. Inside where the cover should be there seems to be a push button type switch, does anyone know what this switch is for?

Impact reset switch Chris b from Lancashire

Submitted: 14/02/2015 13:22:00 | ID: 111506

Donna, Bridgend

Hi I have recently had the bonnet lock replaced on my car and now the Bonnet Open warning light on the dash board is on all the time despite me opening and closing the bonnet numerous times. please can you advise what to do to many thanks Donna

Submitted: 11/02/2015 15:34:52 | ID: 111326

ernest_setlhako@yahoo.com, South Africa

When I start my ford focus 2 litre 2004 model, It want me to accelerates so that the engine can run, when I start it without clutch only it loses power power and stop to idle. When I reduce speed from high gear to low gear it also turns off, and I have to start it again, what could be the problem?

Submitted: 06/02/2015 17:03:12 | ID: 111012

stephens, Somerset

Hi my ford focus 1.6 has an electrical fault from the fuel pump to the main fuse box.please help?

Submitted: 04/02/2015 21:53:22 | ID: 110911

nancy, United States of America

i have a 2009 ford focus it run loud when i put my feet on the gas can anyone help

Submitted: 16/01/2015 11:11:16 | ID: 109658

amjad, Luton

When I start the car it`s ok, after driving a red star light shows in meter, then starts losing power?

Submitted: 11/01/2015 22:30:13 | ID: 109382

Imran khan, West Midlands

When I start my car and when the car is stood still I can hear a knocking sound from the front of the car but when I drive it there are no sounds and it drives perfectly. What can the noise be?

Submitted: 11/01/2015 18:50:18 | ID: 109372

Mrs Hardy, Middlesex

Can you help please? On the way home my engine light plus the warning light came on but there was no difference in the way it drove. What is likely to be the problem and is it still driveable?

Submitted: 07/01/2015 19:04:17 | ID: 109128

claire, Cardiff

Hi, my engine management light is staying on, along with a little red light next to my mileage screen, also my heaters and washers are not working. Can anyone please give me an idea what it could be?

Submitted: 04/01/2015 16:06:29 | ID: 108885