FORD C-MAX questions and answers

FORD C-MAX

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FORD C-MAX models. Help and advice on everything FORD C-MAX. Feel free to ask and answer as many FORD-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FORD C-MAX questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Mark Livingstone, Fife and Kinross Shires

Ford C-Max 2006

In my Ford C-MAX`s fuse box can anyone tell me what fuse is for the dash lights please?

Submitted: 25/03/2014 10:58:31 | ID: 60058

Stuart, Lancashire

Ford C-Max 2010

The middle rear seat of my Ford C-MAX won’t fold flat anymore. It is still possible to tip the seat and remove it and the seats either side work fine. The Ford dealer said a cable may have snapped and wanted me to write a blank cheque for them to investigate. I am hoping there is a simple solution. Can anyone help? (5 door 5 seats)

Submitted: 25/03/2014 10:54:16 | ID: 78777

Nadine, England

Ford C-Max 2004

My 2004 Ford C-MAX automatic diesel has recently had a turbo and an air mass sensor change and now has lost all power on a slight incline and the car struggles to the point it will only go 8mph! When driving sometimes it makes a noise under the bonnet which I can only describe as sounds like a skidding wheel. Any ideas?

Submitted: 24/03/2014 16:04:57 | ID: 63218

David Eveleigh, Vale of Glamorgan

Ford C-Max 2008

I have a ticking/knocking noise under the bonnet of my Ford C-MAX when the temp is below 4c. It goes when warm about 20 seconds later. I`ve changed the oil to the correct spec but it`s still the same and it does not affect the performance. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 28/02/2014 09:30:13 | ID: 63997

Stephen, England

Ford C-Max 2004

Hi, I just wondered if anyone knows why my Ford C-MAX`s revs go up as I come to a stop? It happens every time, it goes up to 2000 rpm then settles. Also if idling and you rev it, the revs take a while to settle back to idle? (1.8 petrol zetec)

Submitted: 24/02/2014 11:20:55 | ID: 62317

John, England

Ford C-Max 2006

On start up I first heard a whining in my Ford C-MAX which was linking to the acceleration at low speed, (when I sped up the whining pitch got higher). I quickly established despite turning the engine on and off that the whining was permanently there and the dash warning light was on with no error message on the dash. However when I go over 30 mph the whining noise is dampened by the road noise and hardly becomes audible. Ten minutes later the speedo whilst traveling at 60 mph started to go erratically from 45-60mph for about 30 seconds, then returned to normal (60 mph), albeit with the Engine Management light on and now a warning message on the dash " Engine Management Fault’. About 5 minutes later this message cleared itself and the light went off, then a further 5 minutes later whilst still driving at 60 mph, more looking at the dash than driving, the speedo went erratic again but this time 30-50, then suddenly dropped like a stone to zero (all the time the engine pitch is a nice constant tone like normal). This lasted about another 30 seconds and then seemed to reset itself again and again, the error and message Engine Management Fault reset after 5 minutes. The rest of the journey a further 20 minutes down the road was error free until I reversed into the drive, when the ABS warning light sporadically flashed on and off in the 15 seconds I took to reverse the car into the drive and it stayed on until I turned off the car. And yes the whining noise is still there. Any ideas please? (Zetec)

Submitted: 21/02/2014 14:32:35 | ID: 62285

Faye Dayman, England

Ford C-Max 2010

My Ford C-MAX has an on/off switch on the dash. When I switch it on the abs light comes on and so does the epb, but when I switch the switch to off they still stay on? Firstly what is the switch for / what does it do? Also is it normal for the abs and epb lights to stay on?

Submitted: 14/02/2014 09:24:43 | ID: 60533

Dave Zapf, United States of America

Ford C-Max 1999

Why in cold weather do my Ford C-MAX`s dash clock and trip mileage gauge turn off until the interior warms up? (f150)

Submitted: 13/02/2014 16:33:55 | ID: 60772

Andy Wakefield, Kent

Ford C-Max 2006

Can I change my Ford C-MAX`s in car phone from Spanish to English? I have docked the phone but everything is in Spanish.

Submitted: 11/02/2014 11:46:26 | ID: 60417

Nataliya, France

Ford C-Max 2003

Hello guys, I need your help please. While driving the gearbox of my Ford C-MAX has been stuck on the P position. The only way I could unblock it and drive home was by pressing the security button to change the position to Drive. This all started a few days ago, before it blocked the cigarette lighter had stopped working, then the trunk was opening by itself. What can it be? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Submitted: 06/02/2014 14:22:51 | ID: 67025

Antoinette Batemanb, Leicestershire

Ford C-Max 2006

My 2005 Ford C-MAX has no ignition, some lights are on and the engine system warning is on. What could be causing this please?

Submitted: 04/02/2014 11:06:11 | ID: 61693

John Roper, England

Ford C-Max 2004

When I start up the engine of my Ford C-MAX the front lights flash. What is the cause please?

Submitted: 03/02/2014 12:27:54 | ID: 61577

Gavin Price, England

Ford C-Max 2012

When I steer my Ford C-MAX to the left (not sharply, but not slight), my front offside wheel/tyre makes a ’grinding’ noise. This noise is not always constant, but the longer the turn is held, the longer the noise is made. Any ideas? Also how safe is it to continue driving the vehicle, as I need it daily for work?

Submitted: 16/12/2013 10:42:56 | ID: 57645

James Finch, Lancashire

Ford C-Max 2010

Where are the fuse boxes located on a Ford C-MAX?

Submitted: 28/10/2013 12:10:24 | ID: 64571

Gareth Merrifield, England

Ford C-Max 2005

My Ford C-MAX`s yellow engine management light comes on now and then. When I take the spark plugs out and then put them back it seems to reset. The engine seems a bit choppy while the light is on. What could this be due to?

Submitted: 30/08/2013 15:02:18 | ID: 53854

Deus Lyimo, Berkshire

Ford C-Max 2004

I cannot find the socket in my Ford C-MAX to plug in my sat nav which is normally located at the cigarette lighter knob in the dashboard. I wonder if this is not placed by the manufacturer in the first place and whether if it can be modified to get this plug to use my sat-nav?

Submitted: 27/08/2013 12:21:09 | ID: 53601

Ian Howells, Powys

Ford C-Max 2004

Hi. I have just had a replacement front windscreen on my Ford C-MAX, but now my front demist on the driver`s side is not working. I want to check that the wire has not come off, but do not know how to remove the plastic trim on the inside of the window to see the connection clip. Can anybody help me please? Thanks. (1.6 tdci)

Submitted: 06/08/2013 15:33:52 | ID: 53382

Wayne Todd, England

Ford C-Max 2006

My charger at the side of my driving seat in my Ford C-MAX has fallen into the hole it stems from. I think the casing must have come off and I can`t reach it to pull it back up. Any ideas what I would need to do to fix this? (Style)

Submitted: 16/07/2013 14:01:36 | ID: 66072

Andrew Berry, Cambridgeshire

Ford C-Max 2004

I pressure washed the engine of my Ford C-MAX 2.0 tdci as I have before, but this time I have a loss of power. Has anyone got any idea as to what could cause this please? Any help would be appreciated.

Submitted: 05/07/2013 14:16:37 | ID: 65090

Mike Keir, Shropshire

Ford C-Max 2008

Why am I experiencing engine judder between 65 and 70 mph in my 1.6 tdci Ford C-MAX Zetec? The vehicle had the DPF and the air intake pipe on the turbo replaced 3,000 miles ago. If you increase speed to 80 mph the judder stops. The car has covered 104,000 miles and has been serviced regularly. I travel approximately 900 miles per week covering the UK on business, therefore the car is used in all driving conditions. Does anyone know what could be causing it to do this please? (Diesel)

Submitted: 01/07/2013 14:20:40 | ID: 64634

Andrew Edwards, England

Ford C-Max 2012

Hi there. How do you set up the lights inside my Ford C-MAX to come on when you open the doors and then to go off when you lock it? I`ve tried twice with the switch in the roof. I`ve had the car for two days and it`s brand new. Any suggestions please?

Submitted: 01/07/2013 12:10:32 | ID: 64026

Mark Sugden, Kent

Ford C-Max 2008

Neither the AA or my local garage can find a fault code when my Ford C-MAX`s engine malfunction light comes on, which now is nearly all of the time. The car was running okay until yesterday when it seemed to be running in a speed restricted mode- I can’t accelerate well and it takes ages to get to 60mph on the motorway. Can anyone suggest what is wrong? (Diesel)

Submitted: 02/04/2013 10:27:57 | ID: 90303

David Darby, England

Ford C-Max 2008

Hi. I have a Ford C-MAX 2008. I’m getting really annoyed with the cold weather warning sound coming on an awful lot when the air temperature goes below 4 degrees, then back up to 4 and then back down again. This can happen an awful lot in the colder weather. It sounds like those airplane trolly dolly bells you press and is so annoying. Please can anyone help me turn it off? (1.6 style)

Submitted: 28/03/2013 12:44:22 | ID: 92150

Alex Duffy, Essex

Ford C-Max 2006

My Ford C-MAX`s trip computer stays on all of the time. If I lock the car it stays on and drains the battery but everything else is okay. I have checked this after 12 hours and it is still illuminated. Any ideas please? (1.8 diesel ghia)

Submitted: 28/03/2013 09:35:41 | ID: 92453

Neal Bentham, England

Ford C-Max 2007

My Ford C-MAX.`s fuel light and mileage left in the tank are still lit and counting down, even though I’ve filled it up and the petrol gauge shows there’s petrol in. How do I rectify this?

Submitted: 21/03/2013 10:25:27 | ID: 67913

Jeff Moss, England

Ford C-Max

My Ford C-MAX is stuck in 3rd gear. The clutch engages but the gears will not change up or down. Also I had a little bit of smoke from the engine compartment after I pulled over. Any ideas what it can be? Thanks.

Submitted: 24/01/2013 14:20:01 | ID: 89518

Abbigail, Yorkshire

Ford C-Max 2007

My Ford C-MAX`s onboard menu which shows mileage etc has gone crazy, it just comes up with flashing shapes and lights. Does anyone know what is wrong?

Submitted: 24/01/2013 09:58:08 | ID: 76485

Kelly Davies, England

Ford C-Max 2004

My Ford C-MAX`s engine makes a clicking noise when I start the engine and the engine light is on, black smoke comes out of the exhaust when I press the gas pedal. What could this be?

Submitted: 22/01/2013 14:04:55 | ID: 89075

Istvan Szarvak, Hungary

Ford C-Max 2006

I have a Ford C-MAX 1.6 tdci 2006. I would like to know where in the UK I can buy a plastic tube (with the heat resistant cover) which comes from the particle filter and connects to the sensor? Thank you.

Submitted: 22/01/2013 09:17:30 | ID: 89093

Kevin Wood, Nottinghamshire

Ford C-Max 2005

I was driving my Ford C-MAX to work and had to slow down. I coudn`t get it into any gears. I stopped the car, switched it off and tried again but now there are no gears at all, no bite, nothing . Can anyone help?

Submitted: 21/01/2013 16:41:17 | ID: 89058

Rosalyn Morris, England

Ford C-Max 2012

I have had my Ford C-MAX for 6 weeks on motability. The advertised mpg for combined is 57mpg, I am getting 38mpg which is a big difference. The salesmen tell me this will improve over time, are they just spinning me a line as it does seem to be poor compared to my Citroen Picasso which I had last time?Everything else about this car is great by the way! (1.6 diesel)

My C Max does a max of 36mpg, it’s a 2012 turbo diesel. I had expected more but my old guzzler Voyager was better Gina Smith from England

Had mine for 1yr, 32k on the clock, 38mpg max, except now been with the dealer for two weeks with engine malfunction. At least like me you have a little time to reflect on a bad mistake Les Bro from Lincolnshire

2004 C-max with 1560 cc diesel (109 BHP), advertised as 5.9 L/100 km, managed to drop it to 5.25 L/100 km* (less than advertised!). Indeed, it started close to 7 L/100 km when bought and it steadily dropped (engine management has to adopt to your driving style. Probably some 100s of km). (*54 mpg?) The board computer tells me it is 4.4 L/100 km, which is a plain lie, but they put it low like that on purpose so that buyers will feel (foolishly) happy about their car. Nobody checks the real consumption between refuelling anyway. Stupid Ford idiots. "Salesmen spinning a lie?" is like asking if they are breathing. Otherwise car is great, by the way. Apart from: automatic windows (what a piece of silly nonsense. Why don’t they also put this idea on the accelerator?! All-in, or full-stop, no other options). And the Sony radio is a piece of junk. Too little space for baggage. Floating emergency triangle. Cannot operate windows when engine shut off. Nor lights, nor wipers. Board computer default always shows "Aux heater off". Steering-wheel radio control is silly (in every car; radio control on radio is easier to operate! It is 1 cm away from my mostly-free right hand [continent], duh!). Difficult to open the hood. If open, cannot access parts for DIY maintenance. And the remote is failing constantly. (Suspect it has MicroSoft Doors running; you have to program them by stepping out of the car and make some kind of raindance). And, worst, driving position is awful. Salesman said it is not design fault of car, but design fault of client (nice!), which may be true since I have not sat yet in ANY car with a nice driving position. C-max is best so far) Peter S from Poland

I have had the same problem, I am never away from the garage. I previously had a BMW 530d m sport which was far more economical (privately owned). Now it has developed a not starting problem and it has only done 4000 miles and Ford technical don’t have a fix for the problem at the moment! It is the worst car I have ever had. I am currently in negotiations with motability to terminate my contract Caroline Mcclung from East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Submitted: 21/01/2013 15:22:55 | ID: 89025

James Brunning, Lancashire

Ford C-Max 2004

My lovely Ford C-Max runs well but if I try to overtake quickly the engine runs up to about 3000 rpm then dies, runs on with very reduced power, taking about 60 - 90 seconds to recover and then runs well again. After checking with a mechanic, I replaced the wastegate boost solenoid and the afm switch with no apparent improvement. Any ideas, please? (2.0 TDCi)

Fuel pump I had the same fault – John V from Yorkshire

Submitted: 04/01/2013 11:19:00 | ID: 63356

Joey Rivera, Norfolk

Ford C-Max 2008

My Ford C-MAXs luggage door keeps on unlocking and makes a continuous clicking sound before driving away or while it is in motion. What’s causing it and how do I fix it?

Hi, this is caused by water/moisture getting in through the seal and tripping the locking mechanism. I had the exact same problem myself about 18 months ago and had to have a new lock fitted It’s a common fault with the earlier model CMAX’s (mine is a 55 plate). Mark Stevens from Northumberland

Submitted: 04/01/2013 09:31:55 | ID: 66794

Dylan Williams, Carmarthenshire

Ford C-Max 2004

I have a problem with water coming in at the front driver`s side of my Ford C-MAX, the floor is soaking. Is it a common fault and how do I cure it?

Submitted: 20/12/2012 15:02:18 | ID: 65919

Inga, Lithuania

Ford C-Max 2008

Hi, I hope you guys will be able to help me. The red information display on my Ford C-MAX would go off aproximately 20 minutes after locking the door. However now it does not go off at all, it stays lit up until I come to it again in the morning, Also the screen with audio/nav went dead and is not reacting to anything. The battery was changed recently. Any ideas? What should I do?

Submitted: 18/12/2012 09:25:56 | ID: 72780

Mark Priest, Yorkshire

Ford C-Max 2005

My Ford C Max has recently developed an intermittent starting problem, whereby it won’t ’fire’ and start up. There is a flashing red light in the top centre of the dashboard and sometimes the small light at the left hand side of the digital display lights up and the digital displays state an EPB Failure. The car can be tried again and sometimes it starts or left for ten minutes and it starts. It’s that random. If the vehicle starts and the top centre light is flashing, this eventually goes off within a couple of minutes of driving the vehicle. Can anyone help please? (2.0 TDCI Ghia)

Hi, I have exactly the same problem on a 2005 1.8 TDCI; have you fixed the fault or know what the problem is? Paul Hutton from Somerset

Ditto... Exact same problem here too... 2.0 tdci Ghia 2006. I do not believe the EPB warning is connected to the problem. It’s simply the car’s warning system for noticing the power spike/drain during start up of the engine itself... As the EPB relies heavily on the battery, the drain caused by ignition will produce a warning that there is not sufficient power to rely on the EPB... That said, a tired battery will dramatically effect ignition... I’m in the process of fault finding this problem. I’m suspecting glow plugs as once the car starts and is at temperature, re starting the engine is fine... The more sinister problem could be fuel injectors not supplying fuel on ignition or blocked etc or simply just fault... If the remedial fuel cleaners don’t work (redex etc) may need looking at... I ain’t a mechanic, but I’m bloody keen! Kramer C from Staffordshire

Just got into my new (second hand) C-Max 2.0 TDCI and it will not start. It just does not respond to depressing the accelerator - if fact this causes the engine to stall. I can start the car and it splutters but ten stops. Has anybody found an answer? D Taylor from Hampshire

I have a Grand Cmax 1.6tdci with the same problem, only done 4000 miles and it is currently in the dealership who inform me they have ’currently no fix for this issue’. I have this car on motabilty as my mum is wheelchair bound and relies totally on this car. We bought it for its practical sliding doors and its clever seating options, unfortunately it is a nightmare. I am currently in negotiations with motability ops to terminate the contract. It is also far less fuel efficient than the brochure suggests, I am never done re-fuelling. I hate it with a passion, worst car I have ever had Caroline Mcclung from East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Submitted: 11/12/2012 10:44:11 | ID: 64831

Terry Dillingham, Yorkshire

Ford C-Max 2011

The last few mornings a smell of gas has been noticeable surrounding my Ford C-MAX and also inside it. It`s garaged overnight and there is no signs of leaks. It is also noticeable when we go somewhere and park up and come back to it. What could it be?

Submitted: 06/12/2012 12:22:37 | ID: 64460

Carl Raybould, England

Ford C-Max 2004

My Ford C-MAX`s engine code is AODB. A 1999cc petrol engine. Can anyone tell me if the Mondeo engine is the same? Many thanks.

Submitted: 06/12/2012 12:18:13 | ID: 64529

Julia Orridge, Leicestershire

Ford C-Max 2004

Hi, I cannot close either of my Ford C-MAX`s front doors. The locking part doesn’t seem to be working anymore. I can open the doors but cannot close them. It is -1 outside (not sure if that is the reason?). Please could anyone help?

We have the exact same problem. Driver side door will not close, the catch just doesn’t engage. It did this yesterday, then it started working! It’s -4 outside, colder than yesterday. I tipped just boiled water on the lock from the outside and with a plastic bag to protect the lock, on the mechanism itself. This freed the mechanism, which previously had not been locking into place G Lateforwork from Suffolk

Submitted: 06/12/2012 12:16:14 | ID: 64436

Karen Brown, Durham

Ford C-Max 2010

My Ford C-MAX has recently started to judder and lose power at about 2000rpm which is very frightening when overtaking on the motorway. Sometimes it clears by going up and down the gears to get the revs up, however this didn`t work at the weekend. It has been happening very intermittently but does seem to be getting worse. There are no warning lights on. Can anyone help? Thanks. (1.8tdci)

I had a similar problem with my Passat... turned out a hole in the hose that connects to the turbo stopping the air pressure causing the lack of power at around 2-3000 revs... £30 fixed it but get a mechanic to be sure! Al Steen from County Down

My Grand C-Max is in the garage at the moment for the same fault. They are going to fit a fuel injector for this fault Gary Vernon from England

Submitted: 04/12/2012 08:30:13 | ID: 64295