FIAT PANDA questions and answers

FIAT Panda

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FIAT PANDA models. Help and advice on everything FIAT PANDA. Feel free to ask and answer as many FIAT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FIAT PANDA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Stephen Monk, Leicestershire

Fiat Panda 2014

I have a brand new Fiat Panda Pop 2014 with 14 miles on the clock and the engine management light is lit up on the dashboard. The throttle pedal does not work and the car does not work! It has been at the dealers for 10 days - they cannot fix it. Has Fiat done a software update with a bug in it? Has anyone else got a similar problem? (Pop)

Submitted: 31/03/2014 15:07:36 | ID: 93700

Stephen Brewer, Yorkshire

Fiat Panda 2010

My wife`s Fiat Panda makes a funny noise coming from the passenger side like water running when in first and second gear on first start up, but after around 2 miles it disappears. No warning lights come on and the temp is okay. Any suggestions please? (1.1)

Submitted: 21/03/2014 11:13:56 | ID: 63126

Jim Quigley, Lancashire

Fiat Panda 2006

My Fiat Panda has an intermittent loss of power steering when I have to switch off and then switch on to reset. Why is it doing this please?

Submitted: 18/03/2014 11:22:16 | ID: 62931

Sarah, Yorkshire

Fiat Panda 2011

Hi. My Fiat Panda`s remote central locking will not lock or unlock the driver`s door when used. The car only has 13,000 miles on so is quite young. Is this a common problem? Also, when I am driving straight and then turn the wheel slightly to the right there is a regular ’chinking’ noise, which disappears when I turn the wheel straight again. Does anyone know what this might be please? It was only MOT’d yesterday so I’m assuming it’s nothing serious otherwise they would have picked this up? (Dynamic)

Submitted: 28/02/2014 09:27:06 | ID: 63525

Chris Elliott, England

Fiat Panda 2010

I recently purchased a 2010 Fiat Panda. At one point the fuel warning light came on and the odometer began to display the number of miles left until petrol required. After filling the car up with petrol the odometer still shows that figure and I can find no information on how to get it back to displaying total mileage instead. Any suggestions? (Dynamic)

Submitted: 21/02/2014 11:04:07 | ID: 62261

Kathleen Burnside, Cheshire

Fiat Panda 2007

When I drive through any water spray my Fiat Panda`s engine warning light comes on. It then goes out when the engine has stopped after a couple of hours. It has been in the garage and had both coils replaced. Any ideas as to why this keeps happening?

Submitted: 18/02/2014 15:19:19 | ID: 62216

Arthur Cooper, England

Fiat Panda 2004

My Fiat Panda`s clutch pedal sometimes does not come up on release. If I press on the pedal again it comes up normally. What can I do about this please? (eleganza)

Submitted: 09/01/2014 11:25:00 | ID: 60468

Peter Rogers, Malta

Fiat Panda 2006

My 2006 Fiat Panda’s fuel gauge is playing up. When the fuel tank is full it reads half full. When I start the motor it reads full but as I drive on it starts going down. What can I do?

Hi, I had the same problem. I changed the battery. I bought a new one because I was thinking that it was the floating petrol switch. Stef A V from Malta

Submitted: 03/01/2014 12:00:15 | ID: 60226

Brian Kerridge, England

Fiat Panda 2005

The carpets in my Fiat Panda’s driver’s footwell are really soaked and rain is coming in at the hatch door. Any suggestions?

Hi, I’m having the same problem - but all of the floor is wet in mine. I’ve located some rain drain holes in the engine area, which were full of leaves and dirt. When I removed the dirt about 10l water ran out. However, my car is still  wet and I guess there is still water water coming in when its raining? What can it be? I’m following this thread with interest :) (Sorry for my English) Kasper from Denmark

Mine done the same. Check the area where the windscreen wiper motor is, there is a well that if the drain plugs are blocked with leaves will fill up with water, even submerging the wiper motor. You will need to pull out the rubber drain plugs, they come out easy leaving a nice size drain hole and there is one either side in the well. If it has filled up over the wiper motor I would spray the wiper motor with WD-40 all over. Hope this helps. All the best. Pat Buckley from County Tyrone

Submitted: 03/01/2014 09:31:15 | ID: 60162

David Spears, England

Fiat Panda 2006

My 2006 Fiat Panda 1.1 will not keep running on start without lots of throttle pedal to keep it going until the engine settles. It runs perfectly, does not cut out at lights or stops, but even when the engine is still warm it will not re-start without the pedal. It has been diagnosed but no fault code shows up, Can anyone help? (1.1 active)

Submitted: 16/12/2013 11:11:15 | ID: 59391

Kathy Coetzee, South Africa

Fiat Panda 1986

My Fiat Panda 4x4 has a warning light that looks like a little engine coming and going. The car`s performance is still the same but I am scared to drive while this is happening. What can it be and what can I do to sort it out?

Submitted: 10/12/2013 10:45:02 | ID: 59001

Steven Horton, England

Fiat Panda 2005

My Fiat Panda comes up with abs failure in the display and the abs light comes on after a few seconds. I have plugged it into 2 code readers but no codes are stored. I have checked all the wheel sensors with a multi meter and they seem okay. Where do I go from here? The light comes on and goes off as normal, but then lights up after I press the brake pedal. If not it will come on after moving the gear lever into drive. Any ideas please? (1.2 auto)

Submitted: 05/12/2013 09:58:19 | ID: 58799

Lindiwe Ndlovu, South Africa

Fiat Panda 2006

How much is a windscreen for a 2006 Fiat Panda 1.2? (1.2)

I bought mine at a place in Pretoria. At Grand Mark, in the beginning of this year and paid almost R700. Mabel Kiesling from South Africa

Submitted: 03/12/2013 14:43:57 | ID: 58758

Seshin Pillay, South Africa

Fiat Panda 2006

Hi. I have a 2006 Fiat Panda 1.2 Dynamic. I have two problems with the car. The power steering makes a noise whenever I turn and most recently when I press down on the clutch pedal it does not come back up. Any advice would be much appreciated? Thank you. (1.2 Dynamic)

Submitted: 26/11/2013 14:23:58 | ID: 58674

Enzo, England

Fiat Panda 2004

Does anybody know if a rear axle of the Fiat Panda active 2004 with no ABS is the same as on a Fiat Panda 2011 with ABS? Thank you.

Submitted: 15/11/2013 11:32:40 | ID: 57917

Barry Baker, Kent

Fiat Panda 2009

My Fiat Panda`s driver`s electric window made a terrific bang when operated and now makes a horrible noise when used. Is it easy to take the inner door panel off to access the mechanism?

Submitted: 01/11/2013 12:37:07 | ID: 57141

Zoe Maynard, Lancashire

Fiat Panda 2008

Hi all, I only bought this Fiat Panda a year ago and it was MOT’d before I picked it up. It has now failed MOT due to a suspension arm failure and movement in the ball joint. It’s done less than 25,000 miles - is this normal? (Dynamic 1.2 5dr)

Yes, normal for a Fiat Joe Bloggs from Scotland

It can happen to be damage in a street hole. My brother VW Golf got front right supension support and triangle damaged after around 10K km. :-/ MJAB from Italy

Hi there I have a 2006 Fiat Panda 1.3 D with nearly 60k on the clock and this morning at the MOT station I was told that the right "ball joint" needs to be replaced. Considering the state of those roads here (pot holes big as a canyon) is it fortunate not to have to replace the car suspension wishbone arms with ball joint every time I go out? G Gil from England

Yes, my 4 y/o Panda 4x4 is in the garage as we speak getting a new ball joint fitted (due to design, the balljoint is part of wishbone and whole thing has to be replaced). My car has just under 20,000 miles and I’ve owned it from new, so I know it’s been well treated. Ball joint caused it to fail its 2nd MOT. It failed its first MOT for perished bushes in rear suspension. The garage has had it two days already, but they will finish Fixing It Again Tomorrow. I had nowhere near the failures with an 8 y/o Micra. Bye bye Panda, hello Japanese car! Hannah from Lothians

Submitted: 25/10/2013 16:38:32 | ID: 56685

Tara De`Aye, Hebrides

Fiat Panda 2004

Hi. There’s a ticking noise (for those of you old enough it sounds like the car’s ’pinking’) when I press the accelerator of my Fiat Panda which stops when I take my foot off it. It happens more at lower speeds. Any idea what this is? Hope it’s not a dear do. Thanks. (Dynamic)

Submitted: 17/10/2013 14:40:55 | ID: 56222

Natasha Anderson, Ireland

Fiat Panda 2005

When my headlights are on and I use my indicators the lights flick off then back on again. The indicator switch doesn’t seem to be faulty or loose. Has anyone had this problem with their 05 Fat Panda?

Submitted: 10/10/2013 11:47:20 | ID: 55429

Rosemary Holley, Gloucestershire

Fiat Panda 2011

I have just put water in the radiator of my Fiat Panda by mistake. What can I do about this and should I drive my car?

Submitted: 03/10/2013 09:26:19 | ID: 55544

Rachr, England

Fiat Panda 2005

I own a 2005 tiptronic Fiat Panda. The problem is that after 15-20 minutes from driving it on automatic it suddenly shifts from automatic to manual and I can’t change it back to automatic unless I turn it off for 5 minutes. Can someone please tell me what’s wrong with my car?

Submitted: 17/09/2013 11:46:04 | ID: 53940

Thomas House, England

Fiat Panda 2008

My Fiat Panda`s passenger side wing mirror has very bad viewing. It seems to be fit for a left hand drive. Is there any mod. or mirror available to give decent, safe viewing for a right hand drive? I consider the mirror viewing for the right hand driver dangerous, as the mirror is shielded from view by the mounting?

Submitted: 05/09/2013 11:25:18 | ID: 53947

Angelo, England

Fiat Panda 2008

Which is coil A and coil B on a 2008 Fiat Panda? I recently have been experiencing a loss of power and the injection symbol has been lit up on the dash. The garage used a scanner to diagnose the problem and the reading said coil A was faulty, but there is no indication of which coil is A or B. As I have been quoted £85 for replacing them both, is this a fair price?

Submitted: 23/08/2013 12:22:31 | ID: 81730

Maurice Blewitt, England

Fiat Panda 2007

During the very hot weather spell I left my windows down while my Fiat Panda was parked on the drive. When I got in a couple of hours later the left electric window would not lift back up. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you overcome it please? When I operate the switch I can hear a clicking sound but there’s never been any response from the window. A friend/ handyman was able to drive the window up by use of an external power supply. Can anyone tell me what to do please? (Active 1.1)

Submitted: 23/08/2013 11:11:46 | ID: 53528

Fumiko Miller, Argyllshire

Fiat Panda 2004

Hi, I have a Fiat Panda Dynamic which has just passed it`s MOT but it appears that the gearbox failed. According to the garage it doesn’t have any problems. After being checked at the garage for about 2 weeks it was no problem to drive, but suddenly it has appeared again. If I bring it to the garage again they might find anything, so I would like to ask if anyone can help me sort out what the problem is please?

Submitted: 25/07/2013 10:44:08 | ID: 65723

Patricia Boseley, London

Fiat Panda 2007

Since purchasing my Fiat Panda in 2007 I have had no end of problems with misfiring and cutting out. At present it starts okay, then half a mile down the road it starts to jerk and misfire which inevitably makes the engine management light come on. Last year it went back to the Fiat dealer and they changed the engine loom, said it was an out of date part which should not have been fitted on this model in the first place. Prior to that (18 months after purchasing the car) they also changed something else, a computer part or something. To their credit the second occasion they did not charge for work even though it was out of warranty. I have since taken it to a local garage, it has (so far) had 4/5 diagnostic checks and various codes are being thrown up but no-one knows what the problem is. They have changed some wiring but a week later it starts playing up again. It is now back at the same garage (another diagnostic check!) as he thinks it is more wiring problems. Incidentally, recently I have noticed a smell of petrol when I press the accelerator when first starting it and a bit of white/grey smoke from the exhaust. This car is driving me nuts as I feel we are going round in circles and getting nowhere. Has anyone got any ideas? (Dynamic)

I have a dynamic 2007 and it’s doing the same thing by the sounds of it. Jerking, coughing and not responding to the accelerator, then it kicks in and runs perfectly for a while. Same story with the diagnostics tests so far and garages clearly don’t really know what the problem is. Reading your post has made up my mind to get rid of this car. Cath from Ireland

Water accessing the air filter and causing rough running. Rain gains access through a small hole adjacent to the washer spray and drips into the air filter causing the cardboard filter to go to mush and restricts the air flow. Sealing the hole around the water jet has solved the problem for me. Dave from England

Submitted: 19/07/2013 11:41:07 | ID: 66126

Walter Camilleri, England

Fiat Panda 2008

Hi, every time I press the throttle to speed up my Fiat Panda holds back and slows down and the engine management light comes on the dashboard, I have already changed the airflow meter to no avail. Can anyone please advise me? Thanks.

Submitted: 05/04/2013 11:03:58 | ID: 92660

Sarah Seat, Berkshire

Fiat Panda 2009

My Fiat Panda`s power steering is locking up and the light comes on the warning console. I`m aware it`s the power steering motor but the manual says the car can be steered with the mechanical steering. Does anyone know if the power steering motor can be disconnected until I can afford the repairs to the power steering? (1.1 Active)

Submitted: 02/04/2013 11:43:40 | ID: 92273

Walter Camillen, England

Fiat Panda 2008

Hi, thanks for the previous answer about my Fiat Panda saying one of the glow plugs may not be working, which I have replaced and now the car fires all of the time. However now another problem has come up. When I press the throttle the car seems to stall but it keeps going. It seems as if there is something wrong with the throttle. Can anyone please help me? Thanks. (Diesel 1.3)

Hi. This sounds like the MAP or manifold absolute pressure sensor has failed. It is a small sensor on the back of the plenum chamber and can be seen when you remove the air filter housing. It is falsely reading high pressure and preventing the air pressure being built up by the turbo. These are quite cheap and held in by one T20 headed star drive screw. It does require a firm pull to get it out but comes out straight. The multi connector is a standard lock clip type. Be sure to get the right MAP sensor as there are a few for different engine codes. Good luck Anthony Howarth from Lancashire

Submitted: 21/03/2013 15:44:24 | ID: 92029

Wes, England

Fiat Panda 2009

Hi, I have an oil leak on my 2009 Fiat Panda which has done 37,000 miles. There looks to be an oil leak under the air filter box at the back of the engine. I can`t see any oil on the floor under the engine though, I`ve just had to top up the oil. Does anyone know what`s causing this? Thanks. (1.2 dynamic eco)

Submitted: 19/03/2013 09:06:20 | ID: 92001

Anita Broadhead, Wiltshire

Fiat Panda 2007

My Fiat Panda`s injection supply warning light appears within half a mile of driving. There’s the predictable slight loss of power but the car has no ’ooomph’ at all. This has only happened since the car had a full service, which including brakes cost £400. The garage have replaced the air flow sensor (another £240), telling me this was the reason for the fault warning light appearing, but it is clearly not because 3 hours after the car was returned to me I drove it out and within 1/2 mile the exact same fault appeared. Any ideas? (1.3 diesel multijet)

We had hesitation (power loss) problems shortly after start on our diesel Panda. In our case the egr valve was sticking. Even though egr is usually not used with the engine cold there is a calibration cycle so then it sticks open. All corrected after dismantling egr solenoid and unsticking internals. This is clearly not the approved method BUT it solved the problem. Used decoke spray from the 1970’s!! Then had to clear the MIL Steve Hale from England

Submitted: 21/02/2013 10:04:49 | ID: 63897

Walter, Derbyshire

Fiat Panda 2008

My Fiat Panda 1.3 diesel will not start in the morning when I leave it outside, but when left in the garage it will start. What can I do?

Reason being your car starts inside garage is do to diffrent temperature: milder inside than outside being you have got 1 glow plug that is down, most probs that why it starts inside garage as outside when it is colder. It needs the 4 to fire up. Easy test to check to see if all glow plugs are working with out taking them out is to disconnect top of the glow plugs, run a wire from positive on your battrey and touch the top of the glow plug tip. If it gives out little sparks that plug works, no need to run earth as the engine acts as the earth. Saves you money and time. Hope this helps Lee Stoddart from England

Submitted: 01/02/2013 10:06:08 | ID: 89099

Jean Tanti, England

Fiat Panda 2005

My Fiat Panda`s seatbelts are not working and the check engine light is on as well. The seat belts got stuck after my accident although the car works perfectly. Could anyone help me?

Submitted: 29/01/2013 09:14:36 | ID: 89641

Brian Marris, Lincolnshire

Fiat Panda 2004

I have changed my cassette radio to cd radio and now the taco meter flashes all the time. Why is this? Thank you.

Submitted: 07/01/2013 16:22:57 | ID: 67141

James Smith, Aberdeenshire

Fiat Panda 2005

My Fiat Panda’s display on the dashboard keeps flashing, that is the mileage and the clock numerals, everything else is okay. Any suggestions?

Mine does this at infrequent, irregular intervals. The clock and trip computer flashes until I restart the car. I took a short video, so I could ask the garage, but haven’t. As it is not the only issue (balljoint just went at 20k & 4 y/o) I’m getting rid. I love my wee car, but it’s not a lemon that can be made into lemonade! Hannah from Lothians

Submitted: 07/01/2013 14:37:59 | ID: 67145

Sarah Carter, Surrey

Fiat Panda 2006

My Fiat Panda has an intermittent squealing from the nearside rear wheel. What could this be?

Get your brakes checked. The brake pads fail to back off the disc due to rusting of the pins, the pads then glaze and a squeal develops. My Panda had dragging brakes which over heated the disc, damaged the bearing seals, which let water into the bearings, which rusted, lead to uneven wear on the tyre and a scraped tyre Brian Cooper from Yorkshire

Submitted: 03/01/2013 16:21:38 | ID: 66788

Sean Davis, Newport

Fiat Panda 1998

My Fiat Panda has very heavy fuel consumption, no power when throttle`s at full and the engine dies, so only 2/3rds of the throttle. The plugs are very sooty, What should I do?

Submitted: 03/01/2013 09:04:24 | ID: 66697

Des Haycock, Staffordshire

Fiat Panda 2009

What would cause uneven tyre wear on the rear nearside on my Fiat Panda 2009? The other side is fine. Wear is similar to a tracking problem. Any ideas? Many thanks. (1.1 eco)

Get your wheel bearings checked. My Panda had dragging brakes which over heated the disc, damaged the bearing seals, which let water into the bearings, which rusted, lead to uneven wear and a scraped tyre Brian Cooper from England

Submitted: 11/12/2012 11:55:12 | ID: 64461

Merry, Belgium

Fiat Panda 2012

Hi, the fuel light on my new Fiat Panda has come on and it’s understandable, but I am just wondering how much mileage (km) I have left now? I need to drive tomorrow to get into work and pass a garage on the way, but just want to make sure I make it! Thanks for any help.

Submitted: 29/11/2012 11:25:43 | ID: 63595

Nik, England

Fiat Panda 2007

Hi, I’ve had my Fiat Panda for a couple of months with no problems, but today just driving along and it keeps cutting out and only let me drive at 30 mph. No lights have come on the dash to say what it could be. Any ideas? (Diesel)

Submitted: 22/11/2012 10:26:36 | ID: 89704