FIAT PANDA questions and answers

FIAT Panda

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FIAT PANDA models. Help and advice on everything FIAT PANDA. Feel free to ask and answer as many FIAT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FIAT PANDA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

al, France

Fiat Panda

Knocking sound from real axle when gears changed either:too quickly or too low revs...problem not apparent when gears changes very gingerly or with high ( over 3000 rpm).....please advise...help!

Ps the model is a 4x4 climbing al from France

I have the same problem with my Panda 4x4 climbing edition ,55plate. I wonder if its the gear box mounts!! Not sure but I need help too Kenneth from Orkney Islands

Submitted: 14/10/2014 14:57:14 | ID: 104602

Brenda, Merseyside

Fiat Panda

My Fiat has developed a leak to the radiator. Service engineer said U shud get it replaced ASAP. Couldn't I just use radweld? Money tight!

It might just be leaking pipe or a perished pipe which you need to fix and replace, however radwell over long periods of use block up the pipes in the cooling system. If it`s a small leak it may work, it should only be used for a temporary fix to get you to a garage / mechanic wouldn't recommend long term use of this as had very bad experiences myself using this. I hope this is useful but I would get it sorted asap as it could result in cylinder head problems if left unattended Good Luck stevie from Perth and Kinross

Submitted: 05/10/2014 18:05:58 | ID: 104110

stevie, Perth and Kinross

Fiat Panda

Hi my panda isn't starting when It was running it was during on 3 cylinders non responsive to the throttle running very badly , recently passed mot plenty oil unit , its a 1.1 now it will not even offer to start any ideas ? Someone said might be camshaft position sensor ????? Any ideas ppl I am at my wits end please help cheers

Submitted: 05/10/2014 15:06:38 | ID: 104101

sarah carter, Surrey

Fiat Panda

when I turn left when my lights are on, why do sometimes the lights dim or turn off altogether. Didnt fail an MOT but seems to do it every so often

Submitted: 01/10/2014 18:33:34 | ID: 103911

Andrew Green, East Riding of Yorkshire

Fiat Panda

How do I line up sun and planet gears in diff. for inner cv?This is my question when replacing gearbox?

Submitted: 11/07/2014 10:16:11 | ID: 99432

Joanne, Kent

Fiat Panda

My fiat 1.2 My life Panda, 61 registration seems to have a grinding sound and feel when starting and sometimes when the car stops. Has anyone had this before? Also, I can sometimes hear a sound one might hear when you are vacuuming your house and something like a paper clip gets stuck in it and sound like it is rattling around? Thanks. Jo

Submitted: 11/06/2014 22:30:09 | ID: 97456

K Hargreaves, Yorkshire

Fiat Panda

Why after 4000 miles only and having been into the dealer once at 1000 miles for the engine oil light staying on intermittently has it started staying on now and again. I think this fault was not solved in the first instance. Now it is out of warranty there is no chance of this original problem being done without expense. I think if Fiat can't get it right first time knowing the problem is common they should give up making cars that don't even see the warranty through.

Submitted: 10/06/2014 20:10:20 | ID: 97375

sam adiedo, Nigeria

Fiat Panda

temperature gauge not working.sensor ok.CAN LINE ok. diagnostic tool showing CAN BUS OFF. how do I switch it ON. the red coolant temp.high light is ok. only the indicating dial is not moving and the fan is running on starting the engine.any help appreciated.

Submitted: 08/06/2014 18:08:15 | ID: 97224

R Walker, South Africa

Fiat Panda

The red oil pressure light on my Panda 1200 4x4 suddenly started coming on at about 1200rpm at idling and slightly higher revs and once the engine has reached operating temperature. However when I changed from the SYNTHETIC 10W-40 oil to a thicker 25Wr-40 conventional mineral the problem disappeared. No more red light. Please advise, as conflicting views and advice about this issue has had an adverse effect on the quality of my life. You see I am a pensioner on a tight budget and simply can't afford the expense of an oil pump replacement....to afterwards find that the light still comes on. So my big question is whether the thicker mineral oil is going to be harmful and shorten engine life and if so,to what extent? Could a sump cleanout possibly solve my problem? Your advice will be greatly appreciated . E R Walker South Africa

Submitted: 06/06/2014 12:32:10 | ID: 97042

pitbar, Nottinghamshire

Fiat Panda

hi my fuel gauge was just under half full and after just 2 days and about 100 miles it showed the light and fuel low notice on dash....surely it cant have used half a tank of petrol already ...? what could be wrong ?

Submitted: 29/05/2014 19:50:51 | ID: 96452

SIMON DOWDEN, Somerset

Fiat Panda

MY FIAT PANDA MAKE A LOUD SQUEALING NOISE BUT IT ONLY HAPPENS AFTER A LONG DRIVE COMING FROM THE LEFT SIDE OR FRONT RIGHT SIDE BUT ONLY WHEN I TURN THE STEERING WHEEL SLIGHT TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT. I DONT THINKS ITS THE BEARINGS AS THE NOISE ONLY HAPPENS AFTER DRIVING FOR ABOUT HOUR AND NOT ALL THE TIME.

Submitted: 27/05/2014 21:46:59 | ID: 96283

Gillian Davey, Lincolnshire

Fiat Panda

My lovely Panda 100HP , now just seven years old , has recently started making awful clunking and creaking noises : from the rear , when driven over anything but the smoothest of surfaces . Unnerving. New rear shock absorbers fitted but no improvement . Will take it back to garage but anxious to know what could possibly be wrong. Hope someone might some idea........................

My wife has a 2005 4x4 which is experiencing a similar problem My local friendly independent garage tells me that the problem is caused by the bushes that help support the suspension. At the front end nice and easy, bushes are £15 - £20 but the back end requires a whole new arm which at the moment are about £120 to £150 a piece and you should replace both at the same time. I have spent the morning looking for used parts but it is obvious that our model hasn't been dying and yielding parts for second hand use :( So I guess you have a similar problem - any competent mechanic should be able to tell you if the bushes are shot. i'lllet you know what happens. Nic Murray from North Yorkshire

Submitted: 25/05/2014 11:31:18 | ID: 96115

Valerie Todhunter , Berkshire

Fiat Panda

After having my car serviced the engine management light keeps flashing. It has been tested and no engine faults have been found. It was not flashing before the service. my mechanic cannot find any way to turn the light off. Any suggestions.

Submitted: 24/04/2014 18:51:47 | ID: 94660

Stephen Monk, Leicestershire

Fiat Panda 2014

I have a brand new Fiat Panda Pop 2014 with 14 miles on the clock and the engine management light is lit up on the dashboard. The throttle pedal does not work and the car does not work! It has been at the dealers for 10 days - they cannot fix it. Has Fiat done a software update with a bug in it? Has anyone else got a similar problem? (Pop)

Yes just bought mine this eve and back to garage as lightning. Zero miles brand new Easy! Very angry Halliday from Wiltshire

Submitted: 31/03/2014 15:07:36 | ID: 93700

Stephen Brewer, Yorkshire

Fiat Panda 2010

My wife`s Fiat Panda makes a funny noise coming from the passenger side like water running when in first and second gear on first start up, but after around 2 miles it disappears. No warning lights come on and the temp is okay. Any suggestions please? (1.1)

Open the bonnet and look in the well just under the windscreen wipers - is it full of water? Peter from Middlesex

Submitted: 21/03/2014 11:13:56 | ID: 63126

Jim Quigley, Lancashire

Fiat Panda 2006

My Fiat Panda has an intermittent loss of power steering when I have to switch off and then switch on to reset. Why is it doing this please?

Submitted: 18/03/2014 11:22:16 | ID: 62931

Sarah, Yorkshire

Fiat Panda 2011

Hi. My Fiat Panda`s remote central locking will not lock or unlock the driver`s door when used. The car only has 13,000 miles on so is quite young. Is this a common problem? Also, when I am driving straight and then turn the wheel slightly to the right there is a regular ’chinking’ noise, which disappears when I turn the wheel straight again. Does anyone know what this might be please? It was only MOT’d yesterday so I’m assuming it’s nothing serious otherwise they would have picked this up? (Dynamic)

Submitted: 28/02/2014 09:27:06 | ID: 63525

Chris Elliott, England

Fiat Panda 2010

I recently purchased a 2010 Fiat Panda. At one point the fuel warning light came on and the odometer began to display the number of miles left until petrol required. After filling the car up with petrol the odometer still shows that figure and I can find no information on how to get it back to displaying total mileage instead. Any suggestions? (Dynamic)

On the wipers control lever, there is a button just keep it press and it will reset the numbers to 0 Luis from Mexico

Submitted: 21/02/2014 11:04:07 | ID: 62261

Kathleen Burnside, Cheshire

Fiat Panda 2007

When I drive through any water spray my Fiat Panda`s engine warning light comes on. It then goes out when the engine has stopped after a couple of hours. It has been in the garage and had both coils replaced. Any ideas as to why this keeps happening?

Submitted: 18/02/2014 15:19:19 | ID: 62216

Arthur Cooper, England

Fiat Panda 2004

My Fiat Panda`s clutch pedal sometimes does not come up on release. If I press on the pedal again it comes up normally. What can I do about this please? (eleganza)

Submitted: 09/01/2014 11:25:00 | ID: 60468

Peter Rogers, Malta

Fiat Panda 2006

My 2006 Fiat Panda’s fuel gauge is playing up. When the fuel tank is full it reads half full. When I start the motor it reads full but as I drive on it starts going down. What can I do?

Hi, I had the same problem. I changed the battery. I bought a new one because I was thinking that it was the floating petrol switch. Stef A V from Malta

Submitted: 03/01/2014 12:00:15 | ID: 60226

Brian Kerridge, England

Fiat Panda 2005

The carpets in my Fiat Panda’s driver’s footwell are really soaked and rain is coming in at the hatch door. Any suggestions?

Hi, I’m having the same problem - but all of the floor is wet in mine. I’ve located some rain drain holes in the engine area, which were full of leaves and dirt. When I removed the dirt about 10l water ran out. However, my car is still  wet and I guess there is still water water coming in when its raining? What can it be? I’m following this thread with interest :) (Sorry for my English) Kasper from Denmark

Mine done the same. Check the area where the windscreen wiper motor is, there is a well that if the drain plugs are blocked with leaves will fill up with water, even submerging the wiper motor. You will need to pull out the rubber drain plugs, they come out easy leaving a nice size drain hole and there is one either side in the well. If it has filled up over the wiper motor I would spray the wiper motor with WD-40 all over. Hope this helps. All the best. Pat Buckley from County Tyrone

Submitted: 03/01/2014 09:31:15 | ID: 60162

David Spears, England

Fiat Panda 2006

My 2006 Fiat Panda 1.1 will not keep running on start without lots of throttle pedal to keep it going until the engine settles. It runs perfectly, does not cut out at lights or stops, but even when the engine is still warm it will not re-start without the pedal. It has been diagnosed but no fault code shows up, Can anyone help? (1.1 active)

Try a throttle re-learn procedure and see if that makes a difference. Peter from Middlesex

Submitted: 16/12/2013 11:11:15 | ID: 59391

Kathy Coetzee, South Africa

Fiat Panda 1986

My Fiat Panda 4x4 has a warning light that looks like a little engine coming and going. The car`s performance is still the same but I am scared to drive while this is happening. What can it be and what can I do to sort it out?

Submitted: 10/12/2013 10:45:02 | ID: 59001

Steven Horton, England

Fiat Panda 2005

My Fiat Panda comes up with abs failure in the display and the abs light comes on after a few seconds. I have plugged it into 2 code readers but no codes are stored. I have checked all the wheel sensors with a multi meter and they seem okay. Where do I go from here? The light comes on and goes off as normal, but then lights up after I press the brake pedal. If not it will come on after moving the gear lever into drive. Any ideas please? (1.2 auto)

Submitted: 05/12/2013 09:58:19 | ID: 58799

Lindiwe Ndlovu, South Africa

Fiat Panda 2006

How much is a windscreen for a 2006 Fiat Panda 1.2? (1.2)

I bought mine at a place in Pretoria. At Grand Mark, in the beginning of this year and paid almost R700. Mabel Kiesling from South Africa

Submitted: 03/12/2013 14:43:57 | ID: 58758

Seshin Pillay, South Africa

Fiat Panda 2006

Hi. I have a 2006 Fiat Panda 1.2 Dynamic. I have two problems with the car. The power steering makes a noise whenever I turn and most recently when I press down on the clutch pedal it does not come back up. Any advice would be much appreciated? Thank you. (1.2 Dynamic)

Had same problem with my '07 JTD Multijet. Solved by putting small section of rubber tube around the arm that protrudes from the clutch pedal. In effect, it stops the pedal from going down so far and getting stuck. Other forums mention that pedal can get stuck on the floor mat. I don't have floor mats, but my pedal still got stuck! Hope this helps. Ed from Cornwall

Submitted: 26/11/2013 14:23:58 | ID: 58674

Enzo, England

Fiat Panda 2004

Does anybody know if a rear axle of the Fiat Panda active 2004 with no ABS is the same as on a Fiat Panda 2011 with ABS? Thank you.

Submitted: 15/11/2013 11:32:40 | ID: 57917

Barry Baker, Kent

Fiat Panda 2009

My Fiat Panda`s driver`s electric window made a terrific bang when operated and now makes a horrible noise when used. Is it easy to take the inner door panel off to access the mechanism?

Submitted: 01/11/2013 12:37:07 | ID: 57141

Zoe Maynard, Lancashire

Fiat Panda 2008

Hi all, I only bought this Fiat Panda a year ago and it was MOT’d before I picked it up. It has now failed MOT due to a suspension arm failure and movement in the ball joint. It’s done less than 25,000 miles - is this normal? (Dynamic 1.2 5dr)

Yes, normal for a Fiat Joe Bloggs from Scotland

It can happen to be damage in a street hole. My brother VW Golf got front right supension support and triangle damaged after around 10K km. :-/ MJAB from Italy

Hi there I have a 2006 Fiat Panda 1.3 D with nearly 60k on the clock and this morning at the MOT station I was told that the right "ball joint" needs to be replaced. Considering the state of those roads here (pot holes big as a canyon) is it fortunate not to have to replace the car suspension wishbone arms with ball joint every time I go out? G Gil from England

Yes, my 4 y/o Panda 4x4 is in the garage as we speak getting a new ball joint fitted (due to design, the balljoint is part of wishbone and whole thing has to be replaced). My car has just under 20,000 miles and I’ve owned it from new, so I know it’s been well treated. Ball joint caused it to fail its 2nd MOT. It failed its first MOT for perished bushes in rear suspension. The garage has had it two days already, but they will finish Fixing It Again Tomorrow. I had nowhere near the failures with an 8 y/o Micra. Bye bye Panda, hello Japanese car! Hannah from Lothians

Submitted: 25/10/2013 16:38:32 | ID: 56685

Tara De`Aye, Hebrides

Fiat Panda 2004

Hi. There’s a ticking noise (for those of you old enough it sounds like the car’s ’pinking’) when I press the accelerator of my Fiat Panda which stops when I take my foot off it. It happens more at lower speeds. Any idea what this is? Hope it’s not a dear do. Thanks. (Dynamic)

Submitted: 17/10/2013 14:40:55 | ID: 56222

Natasha Anderson, Ireland

Fiat Panda 2005

When my headlights are on and I use my indicators the lights flick off then back on again. The indicator switch doesn’t seem to be faulty or loose. Has anyone had this problem with their 05 Fat Panda?

Submitted: 10/10/2013 11:47:20 | ID: 55429

Rosemary Holley, Gloucestershire

Fiat Panda 2011

I have just put water in the radiator of my Fiat Panda by mistake. What can I do about this and should I drive my car?

Submitted: 03/10/2013 09:26:19 | ID: 55544

Rachr, England

Fiat Panda 2005

I own a 2005 tiptronic Fiat Panda. The problem is that after 15-20 minutes from driving it on automatic it suddenly shifts from automatic to manual and I can’t change it back to automatic unless I turn it off for 5 minutes. Can someone please tell me what’s wrong with my car?

Submitted: 17/09/2013 11:46:04 | ID: 53940

Thomas House, England

Fiat Panda 2008

My Fiat Panda`s passenger side wing mirror has very bad viewing. It seems to be fit for a left hand drive. Is there any mod. or mirror available to give decent, safe viewing for a right hand drive? I consider the mirror viewing for the right hand driver dangerous, as the mirror is shielded from view by the mounting?

Hi daughter has 2010 Panda noticed same problem but only on drivers side, spoke direct to Fiat who admitted drivers side mirror could be for left hand drive car but was within permitted tolerance however agree with you its dangerous. They would do nothing about it, just goes to show how much you need to check when you buy a new car! Davie from Tyne and Wear

Submitted: 05/09/2013 11:25:18 | ID: 53947

Angelo, England

Fiat Panda 2008

Which is coil A and coil B on a 2008 Fiat Panda? I recently have been experiencing a loss of power and the injection symbol has been lit up on the dash. The garage used a scanner to diagnose the problem and the reading said coil A was faulty, but there is no indication of which coil is A or B. As I have been quoted £85 for replacing them both, is this a fair price?

Submitted: 23/08/2013 12:22:31 | ID: 81730

Maurice Blewitt, England

Fiat Panda 2007

During the very hot weather spell I left my windows down while my Fiat Panda was parked on the drive. When I got in a couple of hours later the left electric window would not lift back up. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you overcome it please? When I operate the switch I can hear a clicking sound but there’s never been any response from the window. A friend/ handyman was able to drive the window up by use of an external power supply. Can anyone tell me what to do please? (Active 1.1)

Submitted: 23/08/2013 11:11:46 | ID: 53528

Fumiko Miller, Argyllshire

Fiat Panda 2004

Hi, I have a Fiat Panda Dynamic which has just passed it`s MOT but it appears that the gearbox failed. According to the garage it doesn’t have any problems. After being checked at the garage for about 2 weeks it was no problem to drive, but suddenly it has appeared again. If I bring it to the garage again they might find anything, so I would like to ask if anyone can help me sort out what the problem is please?

Submitted: 25/07/2013 10:44:08 | ID: 65723

Patricia Boseley, London

Fiat Panda 2007

Since purchasing my Fiat Panda in 2007 I have had no end of problems with misfiring and cutting out. At present it starts okay, then half a mile down the road it starts to jerk and misfire which inevitably makes the engine management light come on. Last year it went back to the Fiat dealer and they changed the engine loom, said it was an out of date part which should not have been fitted on this model in the first place. Prior to that (18 months after purchasing the car) they also changed something else, a computer part or something. To their credit the second occasion they did not charge for work even though it was out of warranty. I have since taken it to a local garage, it has (so far) had 4/5 diagnostic checks and various codes are being thrown up but no-one knows what the problem is. They have changed some wiring but a week later it starts playing up again. It is now back at the same garage (another diagnostic check!) as he thinks it is more wiring problems. Incidentally, recently I have noticed a smell of petrol when I press the accelerator when first starting it and a bit of white/grey smoke from the exhaust. This car is driving me nuts as I feel we are going round in circles and getting nowhere. Has anyone got any ideas? (Dynamic)

I have a dynamic 2007 and it’s doing the same thing by the sounds of it. Jerking, coughing and not responding to the accelerator, then it kicks in and runs perfectly for a while. Same story with the diagnostics tests so far and garages clearly don’t really know what the problem is. Reading your post has made up my mind to get rid of this car. Cath from Ireland

Water accessing the air filter and causing rough running. Rain gains access through a small hole adjacent to the washer spray and drips into the air filter causing the cardboard filter to go to mush and restricts the air flow. Sealing the hole around the water jet has solved the problem for me. Dave from England

Submitted: 19/07/2013 11:41:07 | ID: 66126

Walter Camilleri, England

Fiat Panda 2008

Hi, every time I press the throttle to speed up my Fiat Panda holds back and slows down and the engine management light comes on the dashboard, I have already changed the airflow meter to no avail. Can anyone please advise me? Thanks.

Submitted: 05/04/2013 11:03:58 | ID: 92660