FIAT DUCATO questions and answers

FIAT Ducato

Ask and answer questions on a variety of FIAT DUCATO models. Help and advice on everything FIAT DUCATO. Feel free to ask and answer as many FIAT-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest FIAT DUCATO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Len Amey, Hampshire

Fiat Ducato

I need to respray the front nearside wing on my motorhome, rather than mask it, I was thinking of removing it so that I can spray it in the shed. It looks fairly straight forward but is there anything that I should be wary of i.e. hidden fixings/clips etc? I am assuming the grill is first followed by the small panel immediately above the wing and then the wing itself. Any help would be appreciated. Regards Len Amey

Submitted: 17/04/2014 17:49:16 | ID: 94371

Geoffrey Evans, Lancashire

Fiat Ducato 2007

Is the front o/s wheel bearing nut left or right hand thread on my Fiat Ducato? (Fiat Ducato 160)

Submitted: 31/03/2014 16:11:20 | ID: 93712

Tony Polden, Essex

Fiat Ducato 1996

I have a Fiat Ducato engine and gearbox in a Swift Kon Tiki motorhome which has been standing for approx. 18 months and the clutch has seized. Can you tell me the best way to free the clutch? (Ducato Motorhome)

Start the engine, apply the handbrake hard, put into reverse with foot on clutch, rev engine up then whip your foot off the clutch. The engine will stall of course, but it’s put sudden big twisting torque into the drivetrain. Then try the same but in first gear. Sounds a bit brutal, but it’s usually very effective. The idea is that the sudden twisting torque breaks the seal that’s developed between the clutch plates. Bruce from Gloucestershire

If your vehicle has stood for 18 months the clutch plat will have "stuck" to the flywheel face. Start your engine in neutral and leave it running so that it gets hot enough for the electric cooling fan to operate, Switch of engine. Apply handbrake, put it in 2nd gear and operate the starter, with luck this will free first time ,if not go through procedure again. We used to have this trouble years ago with cars left standing for long periods. Just make sure that you get the engine really hot before trying to free off. Peter Harnden from Norfolk

Submitted: 21/03/2014 14:26:31 | ID: 63189

Bridget Rourke, England

Fiat Ducato 2008

My Fiat Ducato`s clutch is just going to the floor. I’ve found out it is a hydraulic clutch. Does anybody know where the clutch fluid reservoir is located? Thanks. (35 120 M-J LWB)

To the best of my knowledge the clutch is supplied with fluid from the brake master cylinder. Peter Harnden from Norfolk

Submitted: 21/03/2014 12:17:53 | ID: 63165

Bm Segun, Durham

Fiat Ducato 2009

I`m looking for the airbag sensor cable on my Fiat Ducato? These cables are under the passenger seats, they are presumably connected to the seat belt pretensioner. These cables are needed to correct the error on the dashboard: Passenger airbag warning light is on. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 21/03/2014 12:06:01 | ID: 63159

Keith Flynn, France

Fiat Ducato 1999

Hi, just a quick question. Would anyone know where I can get my hands on a heater resistor for a 99 Fiat Ducato? I have the part number, it`s 101930100, but I can`t seem to find one new or used for the life of me. Any help would be great, thanks.

Submitted: 21/03/2014 11:27:48 | ID: 63171

Terry Fallon, County Antrim

Fiat Ducato 2003

I have a Fiat Ducato and the lights and indicators and the dashboard will fail intermittently when driving, sometimes for a short time, sometimes longer. Any ideas please? (Burstner motorhome)

Submitted: 18/03/2014 08:56:36 | ID: 62948

Kevin White, Cheshire

Fiat Ducato 1999

Hi, I am replacing a near side wheel bearing on a 1999 Fiat Ducato. When I pulled the hub away some oil came away between the gear box and shaft. Could anyone tell me have I pulled out a cir clip or is this normal and will it seal up when the hub is refitted please? (Fiat Ducato 2.8)

Submitted: 13/03/2014 11:15:05 | ID: 62763

Peter Spencer, Spain

Fiat Ducato 1988

Hi, I have just aquired a Fiat Ducato Motorhome 1988. I have no instructions for anything inside. It is a Dethleff Coach. Also the fuel gauge is not working and the fuel light is permanently on but I know the tank is 1/4 full. Does anybody have any instructions to help please? (Motorhome)

Submitted: 13/03/2014 10:09:40 | ID: 55518

Jake Drummond, Fife and Kinross Shires

Fiat Ducato 2001

The dash temperature gauge on my Fiat Ducato occasionally shows maximum temp and the red light comes on. Dipping the clutch and giving it a rev puts it back to normal but it will return often after a few seconds. The temperature is actually fine and the water level is fine but I suspect the sensor may be the issue. Can anyone tell me the location of the sensor? (2.8 jtd)

Submitted: 10/03/2014 12:06:48 | ID: 62709

Tom Insall, Somerset

Fiat Ducato 2007

Where would I locate the reversing switch on my Fiat Ducato 2007 Motorhome?

Submitted: 10/03/2014 11:31:26 | ID: 62675

Arthur Muray, Lancashire

Fiat Ducato 2008

When starting in first gear my Fiat Ducato. van makes a screech noise when moving off and carries on, but starting off in second gear it`s okay. All gears work perfectly when driving along. Any suggestions please? (2.3 130 Multijet)

Submitted: 10/03/2014 10:44:53 | ID: 58168

Simon Barnes, Hertfordshire

Fiat Ducato 1998

We have an imported 1998 motorhome built on a Fiat Ducato chassis. The exhaust has rusted through halfway down its length. Does anyone know if standard exhaust parts are available for this model please? Many thanks. (Hymer motorhome)

Submitted: 10/03/2014 09:43:38 | ID: 53775

Spiro Trifunov, England

Fiat Ducato 1992

Hi! I have a Fiat Ducato 1.9 td year 92. I am having a problem with timing marks on the crankshaft. I don`t see any marks on the engine. On the camshaft wheel there is a dot marked on it but behind there is nothing to match it, diesel pump I have and on the camshaft too. .I bought a Tipo camshaft and the lobes are 1mm longer than the old camshaft .Any specs on camshaft lobes or a picture please? (1.9 td)

Submitted: 07/03/2014 10:03:04 | ID: 62637

Dave Harrison, Aberdeenshire

Fiat Ducato 2007

I have got a Fiat Ducato Swift Motorhome (160 muti-jet 3.0). Can anyone tell me does it have a timing belt or a chain? We have 20,000 miles on the clock. (160 muti-jet 3.0)

Hi Dave, we must have the same sized motorhome. Our engines have a for life chain timing system. Melvyn Johnson from England

Submitted: 28/02/2014 09:34:38 | ID: 62078

John Gray, England

Fiat Ducato 2001

Hi. I have a 2.8 Fiat Ducato jtd which starts fine and ticks over but will suddenly cut out as if the ignition has been switched off. This seems to have happened since I added redex fuel conditioner and injector cleaner. Any suggestions? (2.8 JTD)

Submitted: 28/02/2014 09:13:27 | ID: 93430

Brian Male, Lincolnshire

Fiat Ducato 2004

After 22k miles my Fiat Ducato has developed what I can only describe as a sort of "scraping" sound coming from the front o/s wheel. Its sound is in time with the revolutions of the wheel and is more prominent when taking a left hand bend. Any ideas? (Motorhome)

Submitted: 27/02/2014 10:02:08 | ID: 62376

Michael Cairns, England

Fiat Ducato 2008

We have a 2008 ci motorhome based on a dFiat Ducato 130 multijet. In 2010 it had a new gearbox fitted at 11,000 miles and now it has developed a new fault. It jumps out of sixth gear and the total mileage now is only 23,000 miles. Has anybody had this problem with their 130 multijet? (motorhome)

Submitted: 27/02/2014 09:21:39 | ID: 62370

Peter Cousins, Hertfordshire

Fiat Ducato 1986

I am in the process of buying a Fiat Ducato based coachbuilt motorhome, but I do not know what van chassis this was built on. As I will need to get new discs and pads for the front brakes as well as other parts I have tried searching using the vin No, but I end up dredging up loads of websites without answers. Can anybody help me out please? Thanks. (Fiat Ducato 2.5 diesel)

Peter, we have a 1998 Hymer (imported LHD) based on a Ducato chassis with 2.5 TD lump. Unless Fiat made their own motorhomes, the chassis will be a Ducato, everything above that someone elses handiwork. The original VIN number should be good for most mechanical parts, but useless for anything above floor level, ie wiper motor etc. Most mechanical parts on our van have been fairly standard and easy to replace. I’m trying to identify what sort of exhaust system mine has - lots of fun and games. Regards. Simon Barnes from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 14/02/2014 10:46:53 | ID: 60590

Mike Cope, England

Fiat Ducato 2007

I have an engine management light showing on my Fiat Ducato which has shown now and again.. The van was running fine but just recently, on a long journey, the engine started to judder. It felt like there was a fuel shortage and it went after a little while and then re~occured a while later. Apart from that the engine ran smoothly and seemed to have its normal power. The motorhome has done 26,000 miles. I wondered if it could be the tank fuel pump or the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail? I’d appreciate an input please. (130 multijet)

Submitted: 10/02/2014 11:57:56 | ID: 61850

Paul Williams, Hampshire

Fiat Ducato 1998

The radiator fan comes on in my Fiat Ducato when I am driving which is what it`s supposed to do, but it stays on for ages afterwards. Then it sometimes comes on by itself when the van has not been used for a while. So far I`ve disconnected it when it`s not in use, but after checking all connections and the thermostat I`m at a loss. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? (Motorhome)

Probably a faulty sensor fitted to the bottom of the radiator. Tony Chapman from Lancashire

Your temperature sensor is broken. What it does is to turn the fan on when your engine reaches 80 or 92 degrees celcius. It is located outside on the radiator or on the engine head and it looks like a bolt with two or four wires coming out of it. It has a thread, unscrew it and insert the new fan switch. The old one is jammed and it makes a permanent contact of 12 volts and that keeps your fan running all the time. It goes on when the water gets very hot to prevent engine overheating. Spiro Trifunov from Bulgaria

Submitted: 28/01/2014 12:57:11 | ID: 61431

James McKenzie, England

Fiat Ducato 2007

Hello. I have a Fiat Ducato 2.2 100 multijet. When it rains and I go to my van to start it up the temperature goes straight to high and it runs roughly and doesn`t rev. Then it cuts out but I can start it 2 minutes later and it`s perfect. Does anybody know why? Thanks.

Submitted: 21/01/2014 15:00:13 | ID: 61229

Sean Lewis, Devon

Fiat Ducato 1990

Hi. I am looking for a petrol fuel blanking plate as I need to fit an electric fuel pump to my Fiat Ducato because, when the engine gets warm, it evaporates the fuel in the manual fuel pump. It`s for a t13 motorhome. Any ideas where I can get one please?

Submitted: 21/01/2014 11:28:03 | ID: 61208

Lloyd Boots, Devon

Fiat Ducato 2002

Hi. I own an early 2002 Fiat Ducato mwb 2.8 non turbo high top van and I`m trying to find out the kerb weight. Can anyone help? (14 2.8 non turbo)

Submitted: 17/01/2014 15:31:24 | ID: 60873

Maggie Jennings, Staffordshire

Fiat Ducato 1988

Hi, I have just bought a Fiat Ducato Camelot 1988 but it came without any manuals at all, I am looking for photocopies or originals of a Fiat Ducato handbook, Shur flo Water Pump, Paloma Water Heater, Riviera Fire, Electrolux Fridge, Caribbean Oven. I am completely new to this campervan way of life so any help or advice that you can give would a great help please? (Camelot)

Submitted: 13/01/2014 10:12:52 | ID: 60617

Brian Johns, Norfolk

Fiat Ducato 1991

I have a Fiat Ducato otherwise know as a Talbot express, 1991 petrol 1971CC. The indicators are not flashing. Can anyone tell me where the flasher unit relay is? I was told that it is behind the speedo but I found 4 plug in relay units there. If this is where it is, which one would it be, only they`re not marked? Cheers. (camper van)

Go to the Fait Ducato garage dealer. They will be able to find your chassis and build on the master system and provide code and price for you. Fergal from County Antrim

Submitted: 07/01/2014 12:18:37 | ID: 60319

William Ford, England

Fiat Ducato 2006

Where can l find the battery cut off switch on my Fiat Ducato? It is not where the handbook says it is. (2.8 diesel)

Submitted: 06/01/2014 09:57:49 | ID: 65318

Robert Cawte, Kent

Fiat Ducato 1997

My Fiat Ducato`s oil level on my dipstick is well over the limit and smudging on the sides, you can`t tell if the oil level is correct although I have put the correct amount in. Any suggestions what to do? (2.diesel)

Is this your first attempt to change engine oil, if some one else has changed your oil before it could be that you have a longer engine dip stick instead of the original. Is your vehicle new? Spiro Trifunov from Bulgaria

Submitted: 03/01/2014 09:53:05 | ID: 60177

Les Burgess, Essex

Fiat Ducato 2011

The battery symbol is on all of the time in my Fiat Ducato, even when the ignition is off. When I run it the battery symbol glows and when I lock or unlock it the glow plug symbol flashes on. Why is it doing this? (X250)

Submitted: 02/01/2014 16:10:24 | ID: 60129

Claire Streek, England

Fiat Ducato 2001

Does anybody know the original part numbers for a Fiat Ducato 1.9td 2001 camper van alternator?

Submitted: 02/01/2014 10:15:53 | ID: 60028

Peter McIntosh, Scotland

Fiat Ducato 2001

Hi, I hope you can answer why my 2.8 jtd Fiat Ducato motorhome keeps cutting out dead after 5 or 10 minutes running on the motorway? Once it stops it will not start again, but if it sits for an hour it will then start again. This problem occurs when it is running on the motorway but does not seem to occur when the vehicle is sitting idling? Any ideas please? (motorhome)

First and easiest way; remove the filler cap from the fuel tank and drive along the dual carraige way, making the engine rev hard. It sounds like a vacuum is building in the tank. Steve B from Lancashire

<p style="color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">Thanks for the tip on the fuel cap, worked a treat. Cheers. Colin from New Zealand

Submitted: 20/12/2013 11:54:05 | ID: 65025

Steve Curtis, Yorkshire

Fiat Ducato 2001

Where is the pollen filter on a 2.8 jtd Fiat Ducato 2001 please? (jtd)

There is no pollen filter on a 2001 Ducato 2.8JTD. Bruce from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 20/12/2013 10:59:45 | ID: 59463

Jim Davies, Devon

Fiat Ducato 2010

There were water stains top right corner of the headlining next to the windscreen when we bought our Fiat Ducato with 5000 on the clock. The dealer said the problem had been fixed but recent heavy driving rain has caused very wet headlining in the same area. A local windscreen repairer doesn’t think it’s the screen. Has anyone else had this problem and cured it? Regards. (motorhome conversion. trigano tribute)

Submitted: 17/12/2013 14:30:30 | ID: 59452

Glenn Wilson, Yorkshire

Fiat Ducato 1988

Hi, I have just bought a 1988 motorhome and was wondering if the Talbort is the same motorhome as the Fiat Ducato? (2000cc autoquest270 motorhome)

Yes. There is a very good forum called Talbot Owners Club for motorhomes of this type, loads of info and very friendly bunch. http://www.talbotoc.com/portal.php. Have fun! Steve Cooper from Yorkshire

Submitted: 10/12/2013 16:25:22 | ID: 59081

Mike Richards, Hampshire

Fiat Ducato 1999

I have a Fiat Ducato 1999 2.8 TDI Auto-trail motorhome. My question is does the fuel system have a bleed button/lever for after you have changed the filter? I do not seem to be able to find one, (unless my eyes are painted on,) Any Information is a great help. Thanks.

Hi, I could not find a bleed system. I found that changing the filter is not as bad as it looks. You do need to disconnect the air filter and pipes to get at it. Disconnect the sensor wire at filter bottom, you could then drain the fuel from the filter. Unscrew the filter then drain the housing. Take the used filter with you to factors to compare like for like, should cost about £15. Get the wrong one and it might cost about £30. When fitting the new one fill it nine tenths full then screw tight. On firing the engine turn the key to mar only. The pump will fill the filter then after about a minute start the engine and job done. Peter Hodge from Cheshire

Submitted: 21/11/2013 14:31:53 | ID: 58227

Kathy Harris, Australia

Fiat Ducato 2010

We have an automatic/manual Fiat Ducato Motorhome and were advised when parking it to put it in neutral with the handbrake on. Please advise? (Motorhome)

Submitted: 15/11/2013 15:27:08 | ID: 90890

Lisa Smith, Cornwall

Fiat Ducato 2002

My 2.0L diesel Fiat Ducato motorhome has done 55,000. I don’t have a book with a service schedule. Could anyone tell me when I am next supposed to get it serviced and what needs doing? Many thanks. (2.0 l 2002 diesel motorhome)

Submitted: 14/11/2013 15:17:43 | ID: 57849

Danielle Atkinson, County Down

Fiat Ducato 1999

Could anyone tell me how much antifreeze I need in my Fiat Ducato for winter? Also could anyone tell me the cheapest place to get a sump for same model, preferably second hand? My handbook is in German and I can`t translate it?

Mix 5L 50% antifreeze and 5L 50% water in a bucket. Drain the radiator in front of the engine, maybe it is easy to find but the lower hose can be opened with simple tools. Use safety glasses and mount the hose, after draining fill up the mix in the cooling liquid tank all the way up to the line. Start engine and keep filling till engine is warm and leveled on marking on cooling liquid tank Per Otto from Norway

Submitted: 11/11/2013 15:49:38 | ID: 57649

David Thomas, Australia

Fiat Ducato 2006

I have a Fiat Ducato 2.8L diesel which has done 52,000k. After removing and replacing the alternator for repair I found the ABS light on the dashboard instrument panel stays on while running,. I checked all connections that might have been disturbed as well as all fuses etc and cannot get it to go out. I cleaned out the 4 wheel sensors but it did not make a difference. Also in regards to the timing belt check, the user manual says to have it checked on 60,000k and replaced every 120,000k, not every 30,000k as one respondant said.. What should I do about the light?

Get a mechanic to check it with a scan tool. If no fault found it should reset. If not the ABS pump may need to be replaced, approx 3k for a new one. I recently replaced rear brake pads and found that the ABS ring on one hub had disintegrated. I had to replace the hub at a cost of $320, which included bearings. Andrew Stewart from Australia

Submitted: 11/11/2013 15:35:11 | ID: 57623

Jules Rost, England

Fiat Ducato 1991

I tried to change the fuel filter on my Fiat Ducato and at the bottom there is a screw-in plastic plug with 3 wires connected. When unscrewing it the 3 wires broke off. Can anyone tell me what they are for and where to get the part if it needs replacing? Many thanks. (1.9 td)

Those 3 wires were for the water sensor, there is a plastic screw in tap to drain the bottom compartment of any water drops that may have got in the tank, like not wiping around the filler on rainy days when filling up. To change filter undo top bolt and hold bottom compartment with filter, withdraw long bolt - make sure all gaskets are replaced 1 x narrow flat o ring 1 x wider flat o ring (check which one goes where with old ones fitted and the small o ring must fit snuggly on a spout that fits into top of filter element to divide in and out parts of the filter element - very important - assemble together, insert long bolt and do up checking the lips on the element are snug in top and bottom parts - only tighten bolt to max 7 lbs ft, that’s finger to wrist tight with a short spanner, basiclaly it will start to feel firm, that’s enough or it will damage or snap, undo bleed screw and pump till no air tighten bleed screw finger tight firm - the rest of system will self bleed. Most damage done on engines is over tightening! The wires are color coded so just solder back t j from Devon

Submitted: 08/11/2013 15:06:31 | ID: 92382