CITROEN XSARA PICASSO questions and answers

CITROEN Xsara Picasso

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN XSARA PICASSO models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN XSARA PICASSO. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN XSARA PICASSO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Mr M A Turner, Essex

Citroen Xsara Picasso

passenger footwell carpet wet unable to find leak any ideas

Submitted: 11/04/2014 14:11:20 | ID: 94096

Richard Smith, Suffolk

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2005

Most of the warning lights on the dash of my Citroen Xsara Picasso came on and would not go off, no fuel or speed indicator, everything still works. I have disconnected the battery which has switched them off on re-attachment. Is this the start of the end? Or maybe a new battery? (desire)

Submitted: 08/04/2014 16:00:14 | ID: 93980

D More, Devon

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2006

This Citroen Xsara Picasso is a new car to me. When I pull away all of the door locks come on. Is this normal and how can I over-ride it? My wife stands outside in the wet when I want to let her in the passenger door!

Submitted: 08/04/2014 15:56:11 | ID: 93978

David, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2007

Hi, I have a 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi vtx diesel turbo. My radio won`t turn off and the dashboard display is not working. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to fix it please?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 12:02:00 | ID: 93913

Dennis Smith, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2001

Hi. My Citroen Xsara Picasso 51 reg engine cuts out when I put full lock on if I don`t keep my foot on the throttle slightly. When I turn the steering wheel when parked it does not give me any more revs like it should, also there is a slight missfire. Does anyone know what I can do?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 08:24:33 | ID: 93890

Roger, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2007

I see from the new MOT regulations that you are in trouble if your car is not fitted with a particulate filter. Can anyone tell me if my Citroen Xsara Picasso is? (1.6 Hdi VTX)

Submitted: 01/04/2014 12:49:01 | ID: 93784

Karen McGuinness, Buckinghamshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2001

I have a Citroen Xsara Picasso and my cooling fan comes on to cool the engine down but won’t stay on, therefore the ’STOP TEMPERATURE ENGINE’ message is shown and the engine ’smells’ hot ! Can anyone please give me some advice on what to check and where to look? Kind regards. (SX)

Submitted: 01/04/2014 10:55:09 | ID: 93719

Paul Wendy, Warwickshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2001

My Citroen Xsara Picasso`s reverse lights stop on even when not in gear. Does anyone know why?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 10:12:33 | ID: 93584

Karen Foulds, Nottinghamshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2004

My Citroen Xsara Picasso`s radio paddle stops working on my steering wheel sometimes. What is the problem?

Submitted: 24/03/2014 09:42:21 | ID: 62917

Garry Clemson, Staffordshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2008

I am purchasing a 2008 Citroen Xsara Picasso (57) plate. Can you tell me if it’s got the dashboard computer for mileage consumption etc?

Submitted: 20/03/2014 11:14:47 | ID: 62962

Edward Ward, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2007

Does anyone know what the tow in or out is on the front wheel liniment of the Citroen Xsara Picasso please? (exclusive)

Submitted: 18/03/2014 10:15:41 | ID: 62972

Michael Thompson, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2005

After driving around for 15 minutes in my Citroen Xsara Picasso the esp light comes on and the comp reads esp inactive. It doesn`t affect the driving, it`s just annoying. Also the cruise control doesn`t work at all. Are they related? Cheers. (1.6 hdi)

Submitted: 10/03/2014 10:19:55 | ID: 62671

Amanda Roe, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2004

The button has come off the cd/radio of my Citroen Xsara Picasso. Where can I buy a new one without buying a whole new unit? (diesel)

my gear box keeps sticking my car is ciroen xsara 2 liter engine 2003 model it stiff to select gears any one got any advice please pete from West Yorkshire

Submitted: 04/03/2014 14:47:46 | ID: 62565

Jim Graham, Ayrshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2003

I am only getting between 46 and 50 miles before the gauge drops on my Citroen Xsara Picasso`s fuel indicator. I use diesel and it`s got 120,000 approx on the speedo. Is there anything that I need to get done to boost up fuel intake? Thanks. (hd1 exclusive)

Have you tried fuel filter? If it’s blocked it will affect your mpg or if the cat is blocked in which case drive it like you stole it for a couple miles and see if it pumps out lots of black smoke. I had the same on mine; MOT tester sent me to do the same thing. Hope this helps Jerry Notton from England

Submitted: 04/03/2014 09:27:59 | ID: 61578

Susan Dee, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2002

My Citroen Xsara Picasso is coughing and spluttering and when I`ve looked under the car the front box is glowing bright red hot, enough to catch fire. Why?

Submitted: 28/02/2014 09:08:13 | ID: 92700

David Cockerill, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2001

Where is the location of the speed sensor on my Citroen Xsara Picasso and is it simple to change? (2.0 HDI)

Submitted: 27/02/2014 16:22:02 | ID: 62428

Gareth West, Essex

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2004

I am unable to select first and second gear on my Citroen Xsara Picasso. When the engine is not running I am able to select all gears. The clutch was not wearing. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 24/02/2014 12:19:40 | ID: 84918

Jamie Davey, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2001

I have a Citroen Xsara Picasso and selecting gear has become difficult to select over a few weeks. I`ve read forums saying it could be gear, oil or clutch cable, whilst also implying that gear selecters never go wrong on these. It will go into gear if I push hard and it runs fine with no slipping. I`m not sure where the gearbox drain plug is (not where the 2008 model shows on youtube) and I`m not sure where the filler plug is. (There is a blank plastic cap below the electrics and a 13mm nut below that?) Can anybody give me any advice please? Thank you.

Submitted: 18/02/2014 11:00:54 | ID: 62146

Paul Baxter, County Down

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2001

I have just purchased this Citroen Xsara Picasso and I think it is a bit sluggish. My average mpg over 200 miles was 33mpg and I feel I should be getting more than this. Can anyone tell me if anything can be done to repair this? (2.0 hdi)

Submitted: 07/02/2014 15:46:23 | ID: 61820

John Mcormick, Lanarkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2002

My Citroen Xsara Picasso is giving problems with it`s central locking. Sometimes the passenger front door won`t unlock and the driver`s rear door door won`t lock and the battery is losing power. Can anybody give me any help please on this matter as I am at a loss with this car - two batteries have been replaced in 3 weeks?

Submitted: 03/02/2014 14:59:11 | ID: 61644

John Picasso, Northamptonshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2003

How do I get into the dashboard panel of my Citroen Xsara Picasso with the radio / heater controls so as to replace the bulbs for the display unit please? (2ltr diesel)

Submitted: 31/01/2014 16:25:13 | ID: 61561

Tara Surgeon, Kent

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2004

I have had a new battery installed in my Citroen Xsara Picasso and since then the speedometer, date, time and fuel gauge keep flashing on and off. If they don’t keep flashing on and off, the whole thing is just completely blank and I can’t see anything at all! Does anyone know what I can do to correct this please?

It could be a bad fuse or a lose connection (double check your battery connections) causing it to go dark and the flashing part happens every time the battery is disconnected, but it’s an easy fix, you just need to reset the clocks, as in set the time, date etc. You can do that by pressing and holding (for about 3 seconds) the top button to the right of the display (it has a pic like an open book) then using the button under it set the hour then press the top button again, set minute with bottom button then top again and set date with bottom button, just keep going like this until your display stops flashing, that means you’ve finished the setup. Hope this helps :) Stephen Brady from Ireland

Submitted: 31/01/2014 12:35:24 | ID: 61573

James Ware, Cambridgeshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2003

Hi. I have a 1600 petrol Citroen Xsara Picasso and it starts and ticks over but as soon as I touch the throttle the car cuts out. What`s causing this please?

Submitted: 31/01/2014 12:18:53 | ID: 61570

Dave Romans, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2001

I don`t have any clutch on my Citroen Xsara Picasso. The car will go into gear with the engine off but will not when the engine is running. I have just fitted a new clutch master cylinder but cannot depress the clutch and there are some nasty rattling noises coming from the clutch housing. Does anyone know what I can do please?

Submitted: 21/01/2014 11:35:10 | ID: 89110

Fred Allewell, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2003

My Citroen Xsara Picasso has an engine management stop warning light coming on intermittently for no apparent reason. There is plenty of coolant and oil. It only stays on for a couple of minutes. I have a feeling the water heater sender unit may be faulty. Any suggestions?

Submitted: 20/01/2014 12:55:35 | ID: 60903

Cyril Solomon, South Africa

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2005

Where is the engine number situated on the engine block of my Citroen Xsara Picasso? (HDI)

Submitted: 16/01/2014 12:00:00 | ID: 55396

Patricia Hendley, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2004

My Citroen Xsara Picasso`s gear stick has completely snapped off. Is a repair possible?

Submitted: 14/01/2014 09:37:06 | ID: 66228

Frank Leybourn, Staffordshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2004

Is the Citroen Xsara Picasso SX smaller in any way than the HDI? (Both are 2ltr diesels). (EX)

Submitted: 13/01/2014 10:02:01 | ID: 59468

Kelvin Spears, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2002

What is the recommended brake pad/disc for a 2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 16v?

Submitted: 10/01/2014 12:42:27 | ID: 84495

Jo, Hertfordshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2006

I bought a Citroen Xsara Picasso last week. All was fine until 3 days ago when ’automatic gearbox fault’ appeared on the instrument panel. This stayed for about 5 seconds then disappeared. It has done it once yesterday and again today, randomly. It doesn’t seem to affect the driving of the car, but I would like to prevent any damage before it happens. Any advice please? (Exclusive)

Submitted: 10/01/2014 11:50:58 | ID: 60576

Andrew Sloss, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2006

My Citroen Xsara Picasso`s gear stick is wobbly when in gear and slightly when in neutral. It feels vague and sometimes when you select second or third gear the stick makes a vibrating noise and then goes. I have replaced the clutch, slave cylinder and gear selector cables but am no further forward. Can anyone suggest what else to do please? (1.6 hdi)

Submitted: 09/01/2014 10:36:40 | ID: 60431

Mick Roberts, Nottinghamshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2001

Sometimes my Citroen Xsara Picasso kicks back when driving and it loses power up hills. What could be wrong please? (51)

It is probably the coil pack, change that and you won’t have the problem. Mick Buckley from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 09/01/2014 10:34:04 | ID: 60396

Howard Jones, Neath Port Talbot

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2001

My Citroen Xsara Picassos engine management light has come on and the car loses power. I can get full speed on the flat but no power on any incline. Also the engine sounds as though it`s about to cut out when idleing. Any suggestions please?

Hi, you will need to get the engine management system checked on a diagnostic computer as it could be so many things. A dealer can do this as can most back street garages, choose one you know or one recommended . Cost for a check £40-£60 . This wont fix the problem but it will give you an idea of what you will need to fix it. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Submitted: 31/12/2013 14:48:13 | ID: 59968

Ben Baker, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2004

Hi. Do all 2.0 hdi Citroen Xsara Picasso`s have the same gearbox? If not how do I find out what gearbox model mine is? Thank you. (2.0 hdi exclusive)

Submitted: 30/12/2013 11:22:59 | ID: 59006

Joginder Sangha, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2006

I have a Citroen Xsara Picasso. How do I remove the battery from under the seat? Do I need tools?

The battery is covered by a plastic box lid. There is a slider on top to slide to the rear of the car. Lid should lift off, with a bit of a wiggle. Battery is the held in place by a clamp with a nut at front and back. You need a small spanner (adjustable is good). Then one side of the battery lead is a green screw-on connector, the other is a red clamp that flips up or presses down. Eric Scarboro from Durham

Submitted: 24/12/2013 10:08:41 | ID: 59661

Margo Wilcox, Wales

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2005

I changed the battery on the key fob for my Citroen Xsara Picasso and now the central locking doesn’t work. How do I reset the fob?

Put key in ignition and turn key till lights come on, then press lock and unlock on key fob a few times Darren from Northumberland

Submitted: 20/12/2013 11:01:36 | ID: 59528

Lamine Daoud, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2004

Hi. I have a Citroen Xsara Picasso desire hdi 2004 turbo diesel. The rear wiper doesn`t stop wiping and I can hear a ticking noise from the fuse box. Any suggestions? Many thanks. (estate)

Submitted: 17/12/2013 16:06:25 | ID: 58630

Terry Palmer, Hertfordshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2003

My Citroen Xsara Picasso`s battery goes flat after 4 days of charging. The charging system is okay, the belts are okay and the battery has been replaced but still it goes flat. All the switches are off. Any suggestions please?

Submitted: 16/12/2013 10:51:01 | ID: 59015

Norman Fowler, Essex

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2006

When my Citroen Xsara Picasso has been running for about one hour the gear change becomes hard and will not go into first gear. The clutch does not slip. I have checked the gear box oil and that is okay. A friend said it`s because the clutch is getting hot?

I’d try changing the gearbox oil first Leo O’Connell from England

Also, the clutch is hydrostatic so temptation to ride the clutch has to be resisted - it will stick, it may even burn out. Eric Scarboro from Durham

Submitted: 12/12/2013 15:49:46 | ID: 59139

Lisa Whitehead, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2000

My Citroen Xsara Picasso has an oily wet patch in the front passenger footwell. Any ideas please?

I had the same problem recently. I found out that the heater matrix was leaking when I used the heating system. If you find that you are losing a lot of water in your expantion bottle, then that is your problem. It cost me £148 to fix. Stuart Parkes from England

Submitted: 10/12/2013 16:16:14 | ID: 59073