CITROEN XSARA PICASSO questions and answers

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN XSARA PICASSO models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN XSARA PICASSO. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN XSARA PICASSO questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Christine M Douglas, Spain

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Airbag fault light will not go off is it dangerous?

Submitted: 08/12/2016 17:42:12 | ID: 137252

Dawn, West Midlands

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Hi I have citroen sara picasso. I had problems about a week ago the car started and run fine but as I slowed down at traffic lights it just suddenly went dead managed to start it again and got home and it went dead again . I had the Aaron out and they said it was my coolant censor had this fixed drove for two days and then same thing happened again this time as said I needed new ignition barrel took to garage they said it was just a switch in the barrel needed replacing as I now nothing about cars is this correct or do I need a new barrel altogether.

Submitted: 07/12/2016 13:37:23 | ID: 137226

SARAH STRAWBRIDGE, Dorset

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Just brought 2.0 desire xsara picasso filled with diesel and airbag fault come on. Also get top up water level but done this yesterday. What is wrong?

Submitted: 28/11/2016 15:57:06 | ID: 137014

Jenna, West Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

I have had my car for just under 6 months now and the air vents are not working I don't know want the problem is can any one help me?

Submitted: 25/11/2016 18:34:34 | ID: 136952

Keith hookings, Neath Port Talbot

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Hello my Citroen diesel 2.0 Picasso xsara 03 plate felt like I was losing power with it then I was coming home from work turned on ignition and orange light with white k init was showing I started driving down street changing gears when I noticed there was lack of power gotbto junction car just cut out and it took few mins to restart then carried on driving but was hard to get over 18 mph with it then slowly managed to get it up to 30mph then it was ok for while then on dual carriageway I managed to do 45mph no proble but orange light was still showing on dash board got home turned engine off tried next morning orange light was not showing on dShboard but there was a lot of smoke coming from exhaust drove up and down street no orange light but fumes coming from exhaust revered car up for few mins felt like there's s blockage ??? Can anyone help thanks

Submitted: 22/11/2016 17:27:12 | ID: 136878

roger, Worcestershire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

i have a picture come up on my dash and i cant find out what it means it looks liike a post then some dots and then a car has anyone else had this if so what does it mean its driving me crazy.

Submitted: 19/11/2016 10:29:32 | ID: 136785

philip edwards, Derbyshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

My car is making a grinding noise when i drive forward it does not seem to do it when i reverse can anyone tell me any possible causes please?

Submitted: 14/11/2016 15:54:45 | ID: 136695

Hannah Jones, West Sussex

Citroen Xsara Picasso

I have recently acquired a new picasso a few a grades up from my previous one..it doesnt have a user manual with it so have been looking in one from previous car....there is a silver knob by mirror adjustment knob...anyone any idea what its for would be grateful..hopefully not an ejector seat for the other half :P

grateful for any suggestions Hannah Jones from West Sussex

Submitted: 14/11/2016 13:00:55 | ID: 136685

Jim, Antrim

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Hi all , the fuse box in my citroen picasso is ment to be just to the right of the steering wheel. It's not there, is there anywhere else inside the car where the fuse box could be, thanks.when I open the cover it is all wires no fuses.Help.

Submitted: 09/11/2016 17:03:10 | ID: 136585

Nicholas Minns, West Sussex

Citroen Xsara Picasso

I had a bizarre experience the other day driving on cruise control at 50mph. The car in front of me slowed down coming up to a speed camera but then slowed down quite quickly because of a problem ahead. My foot jumped to the brake pedal and crossed on to the clutch as well. As I pressed down both pedals the brakes simply did not respond. There is nothing wrong with the brakes as they functioned well afterwards. Is this something anyone else has experienced? Thanks.

There is nothing wrong with applying the clutch when braking, but your foot was across 2 pedals and you had the wrong amount of pressure applied to the brake pedal, where if you had hit the brake pedal you know how much pressure to use. so be careful with your feet. Ross from Greater London

Submitted: 05/11/2016 17:30:27 | ID: 136490

Dawn, West Midlands

Citroen Xsara Picasso

My reverse lights not working tried changing bulbs and still don't work .

Submitted: 03/11/2016 16:48:40 | ID: 136456

Rachael pugh, West Midlands

Citroen Xsara Picasso

When i press clutch the fog light inside the dash lights up and when handbrake is on the warning light lights up why

Submitted: 02/11/2016 14:52:03 | ID: 136429

Donald Campbell, Highland

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Hi while traveling home last week, while going down a hill there was a sudden whine/scrapping noise, I pressed in clutch and tried to put it back in 4th gear quite noisy 2nd and 5th the same, tried 3rd no noise so traveled a further 87miles home in 3rd @ 45mph approx. Still the noise in all gears except 3rd any ideas ????? Also you have to keep the clutch depressed, as it makes the same noise in neutral. Thanks.

Submitted: 01/11/2016 13:53:28 | ID: 136408

roy bashford, Staffordshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

automatic gearbox problem , upon moving off slowly goes from 1st to 2nd no problem , if need to get away quickly engine over revs till it clunks into 2nd

Submitted: 23/10/2016 11:40:57 | ID: 136175

RICHARD, Lincolnshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

WHEN I TAKE MY FOOT OFF THE GAS PEDAL THEN PUT IT BACK ON CAR SEEMS TO BE SLOW AT PICKING UP AGAIN THE SAME AT JUNCTIONS WHEN I WANT TO SET OFF I PUT MY FOOT ON THE GAS BUT ITS SEEMS DEAD FOR A COUPLE OF SECONDS THEN PICKS UP.

Submitted: 22/10/2016 10:17:19 | ID: 136137

S.morton, West Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

How to fix, Spring on gearstick linkage under front console .

Submitted: 13/10/2016 13:03:56 | ID: 135915

Chris, Ireland

Citroen Xsara Picasso

When I put my foot on the clutch pedal my break light come on, failed NCT for this reason. What causes this to happen. Thank you.

Submitted: 13/10/2016 12:40:09 | ID: 135914

Mike, Durham

Citroen Xsara Picasso

When operating the indicator both left and right the lights on the dash ( left and right) will not flash instead the hazared light on the dash flashes. The car indicators work correctly.

Submitted: 10/10/2016 22:19:39 | ID: 135855

brian, Oxfordshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

just change my coms unit the esp has deactiveted how do l reactivate it please

Submitted: 08/10/2016 20:02:10 | ID: 135817

Jo, Essex

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Thanks to the advice on another question I have now got a fully lit display on the dashboard. However.... The full beam and engine light are now on ALL of the time! I have taken them out for time being as I don't want a flat battery. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? There were loads of bulbs that needed replacing so if they were black I popped a new one in. Thanks

Submitted: 03/10/2016 18:56:06 | ID: 135688

desmond espie, Warwickshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

got a recent problem indicator wants to come on at ramdon any help appreciated thanks

Submitted: 03/10/2016 18:52:47 | ID: 135687

joe cave, Durham

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Please can some one tell me if I can install new horns under bonnet and use fuse box to wire them up under bonnet fuse box. Citreon picasso desire 2005 model

Submitted: 01/10/2016 19:22:59 | ID: 135642

cave, Durham

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Is it possible to wire new horns to fuse box under the bonnet. Thankyou for any response

Submitted: 29/09/2016 21:02:13 | ID: 135584

Kelly, Hampshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Our airbag light is constantly on. Have had 3 separate garages run a diagnostic test on it, yet states no fault. All the connections have been checked. How can we get this light off without Citroen charging us mega money?

Submitted: 27/09/2016 20:57:47 | ID: 135523

Dave, Denbighshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Hi, my display has been telling me that I've got a low battery, now it won't start I get absolutely nothing showing on the dashboard what I turn the key. My neighbour tried to jump start me the dashboard did light up momentarily then went dead again. So I put my car on charge the interior lights lit up and I could lock again, but when I tried to start it after around 8 hours of charging everything went dead again and I heard what sounded like some sort of spark come from under the passenger seat where the battery is kept. I hope I've made some sort of sense of this and you can help me, thankyou

Submitted: 26/09/2016 23:10:55 | ID: 135499

Kathy, East Sussex

Citroen Xsara Picasso

The engine fault on my Picasso diesel 10yrs old keeps coming on intermittently. At first there were no other symptoms. Now the engine loses power in second and third gear occasionally. Any ideas what could be causing it please.

Submitted: 25/09/2016 21:24:18 | ID: 135467

penny, Nottinghamshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Whilst driving off my car made a clunk noise and stalled, I restarted it and then there was a grinding noise when I pressed the clutch pedal. It managed to get into gear but every time I pressed the clutch it grinds. Then when I went to restart the car it wont even go into gear.

Submitted: 14/09/2016 11:51:52 | ID: 135171

Stewart, South Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

the rear foglights, front spotlights and warning lights do not work. Have just had a towbar and sockets wired in. Don,t know if this could be the reason. Any ideas on this please?

Submitted: 08/09/2016 21:16:14 | ID: 135031

Rich, Wiltshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Hi I have two problems might be related, the glow plug light don't come on , the fans don't cut in. If I un plug temperature gauge senser both work fans run and glow plug light will work this is a 2000 diesel xsara with only 100k any help .

Submitted: 08/09/2016 16:46:24 | ID: 135023

Keith hookings, Neath Port Talbot

Citroen Xsara Picasso

I have LW03 model I bought car 2nd hand with a switch being used as windscreen wiper for front windscreen got mot tomorrow will it pass the mot has I use a switch not actual pull down lever

Submitted: 30/08/2016 14:55:00 | ID: 134762

Mike, Gwynedd

Citroen Xsara Picasso

I have just changed the timing belt on my Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 HDi, but to access the timing belt, the auxiliary belt has to be removed, which drives the air-con, alternator and PAS (Power Assisted Steering) pump. To facilitate access, the PAS fluid reservoir must be moved out of the way. This does not necessitate disconnecting it from its rubber tubes, but only flexing them so that the reservoir can be moved a couple of inches. On completion of the job, I find that the PAS has a fault. Steering is very heavy at low revs, but seems OK when the engine is revving a bit more. There is not a dipstick attached to the cap - there is a green thing in the reservoir that says "Max", and the fluid is just about lapping over it, so I think there's enough fluid in the system. Any thoughts / recommendations?

Submitted: 28/08/2016 14:41:27 | ID: 134721

Joanne, Lincolnshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Hi, I keep getting an engine fault warning message flash on my dash , no light stays on , I have loss of complete loss of acceleration until I either shift up or down a gear then I am able to accelerate again! My car was in for an mot the day before this started happening and the garage had to fit me a new headlight wiring loom as mine had melted , just wondering if this is complete coincidence it has happened just after it has been worked on at a garage or could the new wiring have something to do with it . It has happened at least once every day since . Regards Joanne

Your car has gone into 'limp mode' - the engine fault needs to be read and actioned/cleared. Ebay do a very good code reader for the car for about £12 which works well on the picasso. You simply remove the coin box/small panel (it pulls off) and plug in the code reader/resetter. Turn on ignition and read code(s) - make a note of them and look them up on teh internet; it may be the air filter sensor ( easily replaced as it's just a plastic bit with two jubilee clips) or a dirty EGR valve which can be cleaned or replaced or better blanked off with a blanking kit as it will reoccur. The resetter will clear down the fault codes and turn teh dash light off. Wait for any to reappear and read teh codes again -these will be the real fault codes- sometimes old ones build up which arent the issue. If you experience the limp mode, try to pull over, switch off ignition and wait- it will most proably reset after a few startups and last a while. EGR valve I think, but could be air filter sensor or anthing else. .. garage will charge you £50 to read teh codes anyway before any work is done- the codes can eb looked up on internet and cause worked out from that. Invest in a code reader and resetter. they are worth it and work on any car after 2000,, diesels after 2002. Good luck. Robert Lloyd from Torfaen

Submitted: 27/08/2016 11:34:56 | ID: 134689

viv spilsbury , Buckinghamshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Please can you tell me where the sending unit is situated I looked under the back seat but saw nothing how do I get to it to change the unit thanks viv

Submitted: 21/08/2016 15:47:39 | ID: 134530

Dian, Swindon

Citroen Xsara Picasso

How do I open the fuel cap on a xsara

Submitted: 20/08/2016 16:38:48 | ID: 134510

Nicky, Buckinghamshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

I have just had a new clutch on my Picasso, I've had it back about a week and today I noticed a click/clunk noise when I push the clutch in. Is this something I should be concerned about? I also have trouble with the engine fault light coming on and going off! No one can seem to pin point the actual cause of this, any ideas??

Submitted: 19/08/2016 22:19:27 | ID: 134492

J Chapman, West Sussex

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Why does the gear only go into reverse? It broke down and will not go into drive, although the dash board and electrics recognise it as being in 'D' and it will not drive using the manuals, either. Could it be the transmission fluid? If so where do we 'top it up'? There were no faults identified on the diagnostic but someone suggested resetting the ECU..? Is there a particular sequence for doing this?...would it even help? Looking forward to any helpful info...thanks.

Submitted: 13/08/2016 15:11:08 | ID: 134331

Lisa Woodford, Warwickshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Can anyone please help as I've scoured every forum and am not getting any joy at all? My car passed its MOT yesterday (I say passed; that was after a retest whereby it just failed on tyres and tracking, which I sorted). Today, I have tried to go out in it and it was as dead as a dodo. There was a peep and on the dash came up 'Immobiliser fault'. Just in case it was a battery issue, we took the battery out and charged it (didn't take long as it was fine - is only a few months old). It is still now dead. I've tried various resets that I have seen on forums, and have looked inside the key fob to see if my immobiliser is seated inside ok (it is). After trying again to start it, I sat in the car for a few minutes with just the ignition on and it came on the dash as 'economy mode'. I've read that this seems to be just something that will engage while the car is not working, and is not actually a product of the issue itself. I'm pretty sure that there is some sort of issue with the immobiliser or the barrel. When I turn the ignition, there is an audible click, all lights come on the dash, but nothing happens. Just in case the info is needed, the central locking is working, as are the lights, windows, etc. Can anyone help please? I can do without the cost and would love to be able to at least have some knowledge of what I'm looking at here, especially cost-wise. On top of any fault finding, of which I'm concerned I will be charged when nothing has been found, I will probably have the cost to get it to a garage (have got breakdown cover but I'm in a scheme when you pay upfront and claim the money back later). Any info would be appreciated. Cheers.

Submitted: 05/08/2016 18:33:12 | ID: 134134

MARK RICHARDS, Carmarthenshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

i Have a Citroen 1.6i SX petrol i have drove the car since i bought it for well over a 1200 miles with no issues at all until recently a couple of days ago now i started my car car fine but whilst waiting for my daughter i noticed the engine (sounded like was slightly over revving) as i went to pull off as i turned my wheel there is a noise that sounds like screeching when i turn in low gear when im up in gear doesnt sound as loud as does in first gear i have no warning lights all dash is working fine any ideas as im due for my MOT/SERVICE due 12/8/2016 thanks in advance

Submitted: 01/08/2016 12:11:48 | ID: 134024

Mil, Derbyshire

where is the door switch for interior light on desire 2003 2.0hdi

Submitted: 30/07/2016 14:33:27 | ID: 133969

Peter Bowden, Nottinghamshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso

My clutch is very spongy, goes all the way to the floor, doesn't return properly, and I can't engage gear. The first time it did this was at the end of a long journey when the car was hot. I manage to select gears with difficulty and got to my destination. Once the car had cooled down i checked the fluid reservoir and topped it up. The following day the clutch worked well enough for me to get home but by the end of my journey the clutch pedal was the same as the day before and selecting gear was only managed by "forcing" the gears. Some advice would be very welcome.

Submitted: 24/07/2016 16:38:05 | ID: 133794