CITROEN XSARA questions and answers

CITROEN Xsara

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN XSARA models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN XSARA. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN XSARA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

keith chesneau, Norfolk

Citroen Xsara

Had second hand gear box and new clutch fitted working well, until oil seal on the top of the box started to leak. The gear box garage fitted new seal. was told it would fill tight for a bit, but I was having trouble getting into 1 3 4 and reverse gear had to dip clutch then I would go in but its getting worse and nobody seems to know why. Any body got any anwers to the problem

Submitted: 25/08/2015 21:02:05 | ID: 120334

Andrew dawick , Blackpool

Citroen Xsara

Hi, my speedo was last working about 3 weeks ago, it stopped and started working again now has stop and isn't working all together. I'm just wondering how I could fix it myself?

Submitted: 23/08/2015 16:52:58 | ID: 120222

jilly, Merseyside

Citroen Xsara

intermittent problem, headlights STAY ON when lighting switch is OFF, ignition OFF and key OUT OF IGNITION. I have checked all earths. Lighting stalk appears to be sound and not wobbly. Fuses appear ok. Auto Headlights come on in the sunshine - any weather at all. i have to keep disconnecting battery. I do wait a good couple of minutes before checking whether on or off every time I stop and get out of car.

Submitted: 18/08/2015 13:20:27 | ID: 119976

howard, Staffordshire

How do I remove drivers door. Panel

My window on he xsarawont go up or down clicking from the solenoid . alexmitchell from Fife

Submitted: 16/08/2015 12:59:06 | ID: 119866

Valerie Hutchinson, Greater Manchester

Citroen Xsara

car starts first time but cuts out then starts up again and cuts out after few seconds then starts up and runs for 600yds then cuts out had new engine management system,new fuel pump, new tdc sencor, fuel filter can you help?

Submitted: 08/08/2015 07:47:17 | ID: 119490

Jimmy, Norfolk

Citroen Xsara

Hi I have a few problems with my xsara, the fuel gauge doesn't work and the fuel light is flashing, even though I just filled it to the brim. Also my main beam symbol on the dash is flashing constantly. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 03/08/2015 21:00:11 | ID: 119301

aly, Bridgend

Citroen Xsara

Air bag light I'd on when car starts and then goes on and off and cuts all electrics out

Submitted: 03/08/2015 08:49:00 | ID: 119267

William Donnelly, Dumfries and Galloway

Citroen Xsara

Trying to locate the drivers door switch that switches internal light off and warns that you left lights on

Submitted: 30/07/2015 02:33:10 | ID: 119107

Barry, East Sussex

Citroen Xsara

After indicating to turn left or right my headlights flash on and off I stop this by driving with side lights on can u help

Submitted: 28/07/2015 18:09:25 | ID: 119037

steve, West Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara

Xsara 2003 Diesel 117.000mls. Gearbox jumps out of 5th gear suddenly when driving along. Doesn't happen straight away. The gear selects ok but then jumps out a few miles further on. I am unsure whether its the gearbox or the linkage at fault. Has anyone else had this experience to advise me the problem? I don't want to swap the gearbox if it is something else.

Submitted: 27/07/2015 20:53:07 | ID: 119004

my citroen xsara lx 8V is stuck in frist gear

Submitted: 19/07/2015 13:15:41 | ID: 118635

Tony Duval, Mauritius

Citroen Xsara

I nearly have the same problem as Michael (see underneath reply) and my Xsara 1.4ltr 2002 drink a lot of water but there is no leak. When the temperature goes up the engine light goes on and the engine start to misfire. Hi Michael. Firstly I think your thermostat is on the blink, which is not a big, or expensive job. However, make sure you get the right thermostat as Citroen have several with different opening temps. Secondly, the revving up and down suggests to me that the earth lead is either broken or has come loose! Again not a big, or expensive job. You will find it between the engine block and the battery. Also, if the thermostat is ok, there is a temperature sensor that could be faulty. It is located above the thermostat housing on the right. Bill Laird from County Down

Submitted: 17/07/2015 17:38:36 | ID: 118566

gordon, Cornwall

Citroen Xsara

need a new wheel and would like to know wheel size we require

Submitted: 16/06/2015 12:04:36 | ID: 117273

debbie, Dorset

Citroen Xsara

why does my fuel gauge keep showing that I have more petrol thanks in the car, the gauge often shows 3/4 in the tank then the next time I take it out it reads 1/4 tank, it leaves me unsure of how much I have in the tank , it never seems to show low readings only high, thankyou.

Submitted: 05/06/2015 15:20:03 | ID: 116842

Citroen Xsara

my xsara cut out when idling for the first time today could it be wet weather causing it.it is a 54 reg 14i petrol,

Submitted: 29/05/2015 21:14:24 | ID: 116611

Jo, Fife

Citroen Xsara

My xsaras engine often cuts out when decelerating towards junctions or lights more often than not when I am going downhill, then have to over rev to keep engine running when pulling away. Any ideas as to the cause?

Submitted: 25/05/2015 12:48:34 | ID: 116438

Jo, Fife

Citroen Xsara

The stop light on the dash came on with an audible alarm only stayed on for a few seconds, what causes this?

Submitted: 25/05/2015 12:39:32 | ID: 116437

Francesco Megale, Bedfordshire

Citroen Xsara

Front door locks not operating manually

Submitted: 23/05/2015 20:03:57 | ID: 116391

Citroen Xsara

My Xsara is noisy on the road. What can it be?

Submitted: 14/05/2015 12:25:42 | ID: 116018

Citroen Xsara

Why is my 54 reg noisy while driving?

Submitted: 06/05/2015 19:33:17 | ID: 115647

chris pye, Merseyside

Citroen Xsara

How do you remove the gearbox from the engine to change the clutch? I have removed drive shafts housing bolts and everthing else but the gear box still won't split. Has anyone got any answers please?

Submitted: 30/04/2015 19:17:58 | ID: 115425

Citroen Xsara

can you use red ex in fuel tank to clean injectors

Submitted: 29/04/2015 12:53:27 | ID: 115368

Paul, Blackpool

Citroen Xsara

Hello, the heater in my car worked fine this morning and now nothing, I have found the fuses but do not have a diagram for which one is which , thanks.

Submitted: 03/04/2015 18:18:17 | ID: 114276

eileen, Suffolk

Citroen Xsara

Hi I'm looking for the relay for front window wipers but can't find it...

Submitted: 01/04/2015 11:19:55 | ID: 114157

brendan, Laois

Citroen Xsara

My Citroen Xsara van keeps slippping out of fifth gear?

Submitted: 22/03/2015 18:07:10 | ID: 113672

James, Australia

Citroen Xsara

Automatic gear box, light comes on, s and ice lights flash. Why? The car won't start.

Submitted: 23/02/2015 08:57:43 | ID: 112166

Steve, Greater Manchester

Citroen Xsara

Need to replace my rear offside drop glass. I got the inside panel off but the winder won't wind down. Any ideas? Thanks

Submitted: 20/02/2015 10:10:16 | ID: 111938

Robert gallon, Tyne and Wear

Citroen Xsara

Do you repair bent back axles and how much would it cost?

Submitted: 15/02/2015 21:36:10 | ID: 111616

Dave, Warwickshire

Citroen Xsara

Automatic gear box, light comes on, s and ice lights flash. Why ?

Submitted: 09/02/2015 14:10:25 | ID: 111193

michael reynolds, Devon

Citroen Xsara

How do I remove the inside door panel to replace a broken door handle?

You don't need the panel off you can do it from outside, just drill out the 2 rivets holding the handle on and replace with new. I had same problem, hope this helps Steve from Greater Manchester

Thanks to Steve from Greater Manchester - I have searched the web for this answer as my Xsara handle broke off today and Steve's answer is clear and concise. Cheers pal. Mothy from Wrexham

Submitted: 09/02/2015 09:58:45 | ID: 111172

DAVE, East Ayrshire

Citroen Xsara

having had the 2 fog lights in the bumper wired up at an auto electrician garage now i find that the central locking is not working on the key fob now i took the car back and they tried to reprogram the key fob by pressing the lock button 4 ten seconds with the ignition on, they said i would have to take it to a citreon dealer to get it reprogramed

Submitted: 22/01/2015 18:27:45 | ID: 110126

glynn, Cornwall

Citroen Xsara

Hi oil light came on checked oil and filled up now engine mangement light on can any one help thsnks

Submitted: 17/01/2015 22:11:47 | ID: 109752

hadvad, West Midlands

Citroen Xsara

Clutch pedal does not come back up and cannot get any gears. Help please.

It seems to me that your clutch cable is broke... Kristian Bille from Denmark

Submitted: 12/01/2015 21:08:34 | ID: 109436

Gabier, Australia

Citroen Xsara

I`d like to know the colour of the automatic transmission oil of a Citroen Xsara 1.6 model 2002 and where it can be purchased in Victoria?

Submitted: 12/01/2015 06:05:19 | ID: 109396

Florin, Leicestershire

Citroen Xsara

The car was leaking water and it stopped suddenly when driving after every light on the dashboard flashed,after the engine cooled down it was topped up with water and started normally... Thank you in advance for your help!

Submitted: 06/01/2015 17:51:34 | ID: 109042

Professors Dad, Buckinghamshire

Citroen Xsara

I appear to have no rear demister power. Can anyone help me with where the fuse is on the fuse board as I have no manual or diagram? Thanks

Submitted: 06/01/2015 11:41:29 | ID: 109017

dave, Oxfordshire

Citroen Xsara

my xsara 2.0 hdi wont pull or rev above 2000 revs up to that its ok.

Submitted: 14/12/2014 17:29:35 | ID: 107899

George, Essex

Citroen Xsara

I hope someone can help. I bought my first Xsara yesterday and when I stopped to fuel up, I couldn't get the fuel nozzle in all the way in. Only the about an inch would go in and then stop. I had a look inside the pipe and there's a flat copper piece that sticks out which I suspect is causing the problem. I pushed it back in but it is springy so just pops out again. I have never looked into a fuel tank before and don't know what it's supposed to look like. I managed to put fuel in but had to do it slowly so as not to spill any. If you can decipher any of what I've said and know what the issue is, I would appreciate some feedback please.

Wow! Are you sure that you were using the right fuel? Bille from Denmark

Submitted: 13/12/2014 14:48:24 | ID: 107848

Gary, Ireland

Citroen Xsara

Where is the Rear Fog Lamp Relay situated, stopped working, fuse is fine, light comes on on dash display bulb is fine, no power getting to bulb all other lights on the panel work fine, I need to check the relay.

Submitted: 02/12/2014 13:02:03 | ID: 107246