CITROEN XSARA questions and answers

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN XSARA models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN XSARA. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN XSARA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

k. miller, East Sussex

Citroen Xsara

I have a 2001 Xsara 23.0 HDI Automatic with nearly 99,000 miles on the clock. After about 2 miles of a 60 odd mile journey to N. London, while climbing a steepish hill, the car suddenly changed gear with an unpleasant bang, causing engine revs to go up to over 3,000. For the rest of the journey the car refused to change gear, even on the motorway at around 65 mph and engine revs at nearly 4,000. The car was parked for some 4 hours before we made the return journey, during which the car behaved normally, changing gear as usual, with no engine racing. What could have caused this and what should I do about it?

Submitted: 11/02/2016 12:23:02 | ID: 127440

Sylvia bridgland, Gloucestershire

Citroen Xsara

Water is collecting behind the front passenger seat. The rear seat on that side is also wet. The sunroof drains have been cleared. Where can the water be coming from?

Submitted: 01/02/2016 14:38:01 | ID: 127000

jim Flynn, Warwickshire

Citroen Xsara

i have just had a new battery fitted to my citroen xsara hatchback 2002 now my remote fob does not work it works when i use the key [ any advice thank you]

Battery in the fob might have gone R Evans from Caerphilly

Submitted: 25/01/2016 00:37:30 | ID: 126654

vas, Hertfordshire

Citroen Xsara

I recently changed the battery in my key and now the remote doesn't work I tried all. the different ways of reinitialising it but still doesn't work with remote

Submitted: 18/01/2016 16:31:41 | ID: 126340

Alan, Telford and Wrekin

Citroen Xsara

The car won't start, it takes a long time to start on the ignition and stalls after a few goes; if you could help that would be great.

Submitted: 17/01/2016 16:57:22 | ID: 126303

LOCKING DOORS WITH FOB THEY LOCK THEN UNLOCK. HOW DO YOU FIX IT

Submitted: 11/12/2015 13:00:17 | ID: 124597

sonja, Devon

Citroen Xsara

Hi there - I wondered if anyone could advise me please. My Citroen needs a new cooling fan. It has a 2 phase system - the Hot Hot fan doesn't cut in and run properly. Can I use a 2 phase 1600 8v cooling fan or do I need to replace it with ' like ' ( 1800 16v ) version - ? Do they differ at all in any way ? many thanks

Submitted: 01/11/2015 19:34:44 | ID: 122994

paul meddings, West Midlands

Citroen Xsara

something keeps blowing fuse 2, is it aproblem concerning air con or fan cooling

Submitted: 21/09/2015 18:09:13 | ID: 121453

Andrea, Greece

Citroen Xsara

have a 2000 Citroen xsara and recently lost my transponder key for my ignition. I do have a spare key cut but it doesn't have a chip in it, I can only use it to unlock the doors and open the trunk. What I want to know... is there: ? A way to disable/bypass the theft prevention system so I can use the non-chipped key in my ignition? ? a way I can modify my key to trick the theft prevention system into thinking it is a real key

Submitted: 06/09/2015 09:08:12 | ID: 120843

keith chesneau, Norfolk

Citroen Xsara

Had second hand gear box and new clutch fitted working well, until oil seal on the top of the box started to leak. The gear box garage fitted new seal. was told it would fill tight for a bit, but I was having trouble getting into 1 3 4 and reverse gear had to dip clutch then I would go in but its getting worse and nobody seems to know why. Any body got any anwers to the problem

Submitted: 25/08/2015 21:02:05 | ID: 120334

Andrew dawick , Blackpool

Citroen Xsara

Hi, my speedo was last working about 3 weeks ago, it stopped and started working again now has stop and isn't working all together. I'm just wondering how I could fix it myself?

Submitted: 23/08/2015 16:52:58 | ID: 120222

jilly, Merseyside

Citroen Xsara

intermittent problem, headlights STAY ON when lighting switch is OFF, ignition OFF and key OUT OF IGNITION. I have checked all earths. Lighting stalk appears to be sound and not wobbly. Fuses appear ok. Auto Headlights come on in the sunshine - any weather at all. i have to keep disconnecting battery. I do wait a good couple of minutes before checking whether on or off every time I stop and get out of car.

Submitted: 18/08/2015 13:20:27 | ID: 119976

howard, Staffordshire

How do I remove drivers door. Panel

My window on he xsarawont go up or down clicking from the solenoid . alexmitchell from Fife

Submitted: 16/08/2015 12:59:06 | ID: 119866

Valerie Hutchinson, Greater Manchester

Citroen Xsara

car starts first time but cuts out then starts up again and cuts out after few seconds then starts up and runs for 600yds then cuts out had new engine management system,new fuel pump, new tdc sencor, fuel filter can you help?

Submitted: 08/08/2015 07:47:17 | ID: 119490

Jimmy, Norfolk

Citroen Xsara

Hi I have a few problems with my xsara, the fuel gauge doesn't work and the fuel light is flashing, even though I just filled it to the brim. Also my main beam symbol on the dash is flashing constantly. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 03/08/2015 21:00:11 | ID: 119301

aly, Bridgend

Citroen Xsara

Air bag light I'd on when car starts and then goes on and off and cuts all electrics out

Submitted: 03/08/2015 08:49:00 | ID: 119267

William Donnelly, Dumfries and Galloway

Citroen Xsara

Trying to locate the drivers door switch that switches internal light off and warns that you left lights on

Submitted: 30/07/2015 02:33:10 | ID: 119107

Barry, East Sussex

Citroen Xsara

After indicating to turn left or right my headlights flash on and off I stop this by driving with side lights on can u help

Submitted: 28/07/2015 18:09:25 | ID: 119037

steve, West Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara

Xsara 2003 Diesel 117.000mls. Gearbox jumps out of 5th gear suddenly when driving along. Doesn't happen straight away. The gear selects ok but then jumps out a few miles further on. I am unsure whether its the gearbox or the linkage at fault. Has anyone else had this experience to advise me the problem? I don't want to swap the gearbox if it is something else.

Submitted: 27/07/2015 20:53:07 | ID: 119004

my citroen xsara lx 8V is stuck in frist gear

Submitted: 19/07/2015 13:15:41 | ID: 118635

Tony Duval, Mauritius

Citroen Xsara

I nearly have the same problem as Michael (see underneath reply) and my Xsara 1.4ltr 2002 drink a lot of water but there is no leak. When the temperature goes up the engine light goes on and the engine start to misfire. Hi Michael. Firstly I think your thermostat is on the blink, which is not a big, or expensive job. However, make sure you get the right thermostat as Citroen have several with different opening temps. Secondly, the revving up and down suggests to me that the earth lead is either broken or has come loose! Again not a big, or expensive job. You will find it between the engine block and the battery. Also, if the thermostat is ok, there is a temperature sensor that could be faulty. It is located above the thermostat housing on the right. Bill Laird from County Down

Submitted: 17/07/2015 17:38:36 | ID: 118566

gordon, Cornwall

Citroen Xsara

need a new wheel and would like to know wheel size we require

Submitted: 16/06/2015 12:04:36 | ID: 117273

debbie, Dorset

Citroen Xsara

why does my fuel gauge keep showing that I have more petrol thanks in the car, the gauge often shows 3/4 in the tank then the next time I take it out it reads 1/4 tank, it leaves me unsure of how much I have in the tank , it never seems to show low readings only high, thankyou.

Submitted: 05/06/2015 15:20:03 | ID: 116842

Citroen Xsara

my xsara cut out when idling for the first time today could it be wet weather causing it.it is a 54 reg 14i petrol,

Submitted: 29/05/2015 21:14:24 | ID: 116611

Jo, Fife

Citroen Xsara

My xsaras engine often cuts out when decelerating towards junctions or lights more often than not when I am going downhill, then have to over rev to keep engine running when pulling away. Any ideas as to the cause?

Submitted: 25/05/2015 12:48:34 | ID: 116438

Jo, Fife

Citroen Xsara

The stop light on the dash came on with an audible alarm only stayed on for a few seconds, what causes this?

Submitted: 25/05/2015 12:39:32 | ID: 116437

Francesco Megale, Bedfordshire

Citroen Xsara

Front door locks not operating manually

Submitted: 23/05/2015 20:03:57 | ID: 116391

Citroen Xsara

My Xsara is noisy on the road. What can it be?

Submitted: 14/05/2015 12:25:42 | ID: 116018

Citroen Xsara

Why is my 54 reg noisy while driving?

Submitted: 06/05/2015 19:33:17 | ID: 115647

chris pye, Merseyside

Citroen Xsara

How do you remove the gearbox from the engine to change the clutch? I have removed drive shafts housing bolts and everthing else but the gear box still won't split. Has anyone got any answers please?

Submitted: 30/04/2015 19:17:58 | ID: 115425

Citroen Xsara

can you use red ex in fuel tank to clean injectors

Submitted: 29/04/2015 12:53:27 | ID: 115368

Paul, Blackpool

Citroen Xsara

Hello, the heater in my car worked fine this morning and now nothing, I have found the fuses but do not have a diagram for which one is which , thanks.

Submitted: 03/04/2015 18:18:17 | ID: 114276

eileen, Suffolk

Citroen Xsara

Hi I'm looking for the relay for front window wipers but can't find it...

Submitted: 01/04/2015 11:19:55 | ID: 114157

brendan, Laois

Citroen Xsara

My Citroen Xsara van keeps slippping out of fifth gear?

Submitted: 22/03/2015 18:07:10 | ID: 113672

James, Australia

Citroen Xsara

Automatic gear box, light comes on, s and ice lights flash. Why? The car won't start.

Submitted: 23/02/2015 08:57:43 | ID: 112166

Steve, Greater Manchester

Citroen Xsara

Need to replace my rear offside drop glass. I got the inside panel off but the winder won't wind down. Any ideas? Thanks

Submitted: 20/02/2015 10:10:16 | ID: 111938

Robert gallon, Tyne and Wear

Citroen Xsara

Do you repair bent back axles and how much would it cost?

Submitted: 15/02/2015 21:36:10 | ID: 111616

Dave, Warwickshire

Citroen Xsara

Automatic gear box, light comes on, s and ice lights flash. Why ?

Submitted: 09/02/2015 14:10:25 | ID: 111193