CITROEN XSARA questions and answers

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN XSARA models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN XSARA. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN XSARA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

mick whitehill, Isle of Wight

Citroen Xsara

There is smell of petrol just aftr I drive off,its not coming in the cab but when you get out of the car the smell is there. Is there an air filter which effects the carberator or could it be that the carberator itself is faulty.

Submitted: 01/11/2016 09:27:24 | ID: 136396

Michael khadun, Mauritius

Citroen Xsara

All lights on dashboard is ok but when starting the engine, the starter run but engine doesn't start. Checked fuel pump with direct wiring and it works. Change also the ignition relay but problem is still same. When switching on the ignition there is no activity on neither the fuel pump nor the injection system. Plz does anybody have solution for this?

Submitted: 19/10/2016 07:03:52 | ID: 136060

George Sultana, Malta

Citroen Xsara

Citroen xsara 1.4hdi 2004 model.When i turn the steering makes movement like wants to turn alone.even when im parked, turn the steering it makes movement.the steering like going backwards and forward.I don't have clue what's wrong or any leaks of power steering oil missing.HELP PLease!!!!!!!!

Submitted: 05/08/2016 19:03:29 | ID: 134135

clive fisher, Lincolnshire

Citroen Xsara

Hi after a few weeks of my clutch pedal clicking when depressed it has now gone completely down to the floor the engine still runs but no gear selection unless the engine is not running . the pedal can be raised by hand has something broken on the pedal.

Submitted: 25/07/2016 12:44:07 | ID: 133822

Stephen Whittaker , Ceredigion

Citroen Xsara

Hi any help would be appreciated, think it's the engine management lights come on on dash display (right hand side orange engine symbol) car seems to be running great but the central locking keeps operating when drivers door opens or closes , any ideas as to what this could be and how to fix it, the car is a 03 desire xasara

Submitted: 11/07/2016 15:34:21 | ID: 133431

gary partrifge, West Midlands

Citroen Xsara

when I indicate right it makes a indicator sound but when I turn left it just makes a beeping sound wot could this be . many thanks gary

Submitted: 10/07/2016 21:06:44 | ID: 133417

Michael plested, Berkshire

Citroen Xsara

My front Electric windows won't work both sides. Can any body help??

Submitted: 18/06/2016 10:59:00 | ID: 132764

Leif Granholm, Finland

Car won't rev pass 3k rpms

Mine was doing the same thing changed the fuel filter problem solved Graham wells from East Lothian

Submitted: 02/05/2016 22:33:26 | ID: 131086

carl, West Midlands

Citroen Xsara

my indicators and hazard lights and side lights are not working they flash in car but not in lenses when i press the hazard light button the mileage clock illuminates i have checked all fuses i can see and all seem to be fine any ideas would be welcome

Submitted: 18/04/2016 12:35:41 | ID: 130537

Alex, Latvia

Citroen Xsara

Hello.My citroen xsara 2003,petrol.Last to days bort computer write speed too much(50 km) and noise pi,pi.Whats a this? Waiting you reply Regatds Alex.

Submitted: 14/04/2016 13:59:58 | ID: 130378

ken, Lancashire

Citroen Xsara

where is heater matrix located and is it difficult to replace

Ken I have tried replying to you.. but keeps getting deleted... have asked for you to send me e-mail with ur chassis no and I'll send you all the Citroen workshop diags.. there's a heck of a lot of work involved in changing a matrix. fb1051 at btinternet dot com R Evans from Caerphilly

Submitted: 06/04/2016 10:30:25 | ID: 130007

Omar Almossili , West Midlands

Citroen Xsara

New battery on my Picasso Xsara dispel but still won't start,won't even turn the engine over!can any one help please?

Submitted: 22/03/2016 18:12:56 | ID: 129349

steven mansell, Gloucestershire

Citroen Xsara

Is there any way i can turn the battery warning/charging light off. The alternator is working fine as its charging well. The light just stays on. As the car is just a work horse i would like to just turn it off or dewire it.

Submitted: 02/03/2016 00:16:21 | ID: 128407

Michael serridge, Cheshire

Citroen Xsara

Car won't start or crank over,it only runs when towed and started off the clutch..any suggestions please

Submitted: 28/02/2016 17:28:20 | ID: 128297

Amos, South Africa

Citroen Xsara

My clutch pedal doesn't come now and again, i had to use my foot to pull it up, any ideas what might causing that?

Submitted: 14/02/2016 15:53:42 | ID: 127567

k. miller, East Sussex

Citroen Xsara

I have a 2001 Xsara 23.0 HDI Automatic with nearly 99,000 miles on the clock. After about 2 miles of a 60 odd mile journey to N. London, while climbing a steepish hill, the car suddenly changed gear with an unpleasant bang, causing engine revs to go up to over 3,000. For the rest of the journey the car refused to change gear, even on the motorway at around 65 mph and engine revs at nearly 4,000. The car was parked for some 4 hours before we made the return journey, during which the car behaved normally, changing gear as usual, with no engine racing. What could have caused this and what should I do about it?

Submitted: 11/02/2016 12:23:02 | ID: 127440

Sylvia bridgland, Gloucestershire

Citroen Xsara

Water is collecting behind the front passenger seat. The rear seat on that side is also wet. The sunroof drains have been cleared. Where can the water be coming from?

Submitted: 01/02/2016 14:38:01 | ID: 127000

jim Flynn, Warwickshire

Citroen Xsara

i have just had a new battery fitted to my citroen xsara hatchback 2002 now my remote fob does not work it works when i use the key [ any advice thank you]

Battery in the fob might have gone R Evans from Caerphilly

Submitted: 25/01/2016 00:37:30 | ID: 126654

vas, Hertfordshire

Citroen Xsara

I recently changed the battery in my key and now the remote doesn't work I tried all. the different ways of reinitialising it but still doesn't work with remote

Submitted: 18/01/2016 16:31:41 | ID: 126340

Alan, Telford and Wrekin

Citroen Xsara

The car won't start, it takes a long time to start on the ignition and stalls after a few goes; if you could help that would be great.

Submitted: 17/01/2016 16:57:22 | ID: 126303

mick, Surrey

CAN YOU HELP MY CAR IS RUNNING TO RICH WONT PASS MOT

Take it to an engine tuning centre R Evans from Caerphilly

Submitted: 15/01/2016 17:50:24 | ID: 126183

FRANK, Fife

LOCKING DOORS WITH FOB THEY LOCK THEN UNLOCK. HOW DO YOU FIX IT

The light grey diaphragm which has the buttons moulded integral to it could be perished resulting in two buttons trying to work simultaneously. I bought a second hand fob from car breakers and put good button half onto the key and circuit board half making one good fob from two. Works like new, cost approx. £10. Malc from Poole

Submitted: 11/12/2015 13:00:17 | ID: 124597

sonja, Devon

Citroen Xsara

Hi there - I wondered if anyone could advise me please. My Citroen needs a new cooling fan. It has a 2 phase system - the Hot Hot fan doesn't cut in and run properly. Can I use a 2 phase 1600 8v cooling fan or do I need to replace it with ' like ' ( 1800 16v ) version - ? Do they differ at all in any way ? many thanks

Submitted: 01/11/2015 19:34:44 | ID: 122994

paul meddings, West Midlands

Citroen Xsara

something keeps blowing fuse 2, is it aproblem concerning air con or fan cooling

Submitted: 21/09/2015 18:09:13 | ID: 121453

Andrea, Greece

Citroen Xsara

have a 2000 Citroen xsara and recently lost my transponder key for my ignition. I do have a spare key cut but it doesn't have a chip in it, I can only use it to unlock the doors and open the trunk. What I want to know... is there: ? A way to disable/bypass the theft prevention system so I can use the non-chipped key in my ignition? ? a way I can modify my key to trick the theft prevention system into thinking it is a real key

Submitted: 06/09/2015 09:08:12 | ID: 120843

keith chesneau, Norfolk

Citroen Xsara

Had second hand gear box and new clutch fitted working well, until oil seal on the top of the box started to leak. The gear box garage fitted new seal. was told it would fill tight for a bit, but I was having trouble getting into 1 3 4 and reverse gear had to dip clutch then I would go in but its getting worse and nobody seems to know why. Any body got any anwers to the problem

Submitted: 25/08/2015 21:02:05 | ID: 120334

Andrew dawick , Blackpool

Citroen Xsara

Hi, my speedo was last working about 3 weeks ago, it stopped and started working again now has stop and isn't working all together. I'm just wondering how I could fix it myself?

Submitted: 23/08/2015 16:52:58 | ID: 120222

jilly, Merseyside

Citroen Xsara

intermittent problem, headlights STAY ON when lighting switch is OFF, ignition OFF and key OUT OF IGNITION. I have checked all earths. Lighting stalk appears to be sound and not wobbly. Fuses appear ok. Auto Headlights come on in the sunshine - any weather at all. i have to keep disconnecting battery. I do wait a good couple of minutes before checking whether on or off every time I stop and get out of car.

i have finally found the answer to my question. problem was a loose bulb (it was the drivers side flasher bulb). difficult to change. solved by using bluetack. a life saver. jilly from Merseyside

Submitted: 18/08/2015 13:20:27 | ID: 119976

howard, Staffordshire

How do I remove drivers door. Panel

My window on he xsarawont go up or down clicking from the solenoid . alexmitchell from Fife

Submitted: 16/08/2015 12:59:06 | ID: 119866

Valerie Hutchinson, Greater Manchester

Citroen Xsara

car starts first time but cuts out then starts up again and cuts out after few seconds then starts up and runs for 600yds then cuts out had new engine management system,new fuel pump, new tdc sencor, fuel filter can you help?

Submitted: 08/08/2015 07:47:17 | ID: 119490

Jimmy, Norfolk

Citroen Xsara

Hi I have a few problems with my xsara, the fuel gauge doesn't work and the fuel light is flashing, even though I just filled it to the brim. Also my main beam symbol on the dash is flashing constantly. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 03/08/2015 21:00:11 | ID: 119301

aly, Bridgend

Citroen Xsara

Air bag light I'd on when car starts and then goes on and off and cuts all electrics out

Submitted: 03/08/2015 08:49:00 | ID: 119267

William Donnelly, Dumfries and Galloway

Citroen Xsara

Trying to locate the drivers door switch that switches internal light off and warns that you left lights on

Submitted: 30/07/2015 02:33:10 | ID: 119107

Barry, East Sussex

Citroen Xsara

After indicating to turn left or right my headlights flash on and off I stop this by driving with side lights on can u help

Submitted: 28/07/2015 18:09:25 | ID: 119037

steve, West Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara

Xsara 2003 Diesel 117.000mls. Gearbox jumps out of 5th gear suddenly when driving along. Doesn't happen straight away. The gear selects ok but then jumps out a few miles further on. I am unsure whether its the gearbox or the linkage at fault. Has anyone else had this experience to advise me the problem? I don't want to swap the gearbox if it is something else.

Submitted: 27/07/2015 20:53:07 | ID: 119004

my citroen xsara lx 8V is stuck in frist gear

Submitted: 19/07/2015 13:15:41 | ID: 118635

Tony Duval, Mauritius

Citroen Xsara

I nearly have the same problem as Michael (see underneath reply) and my Xsara 1.4ltr 2002 drink a lot of water but there is no leak. When the temperature goes up the engine light goes on and the engine start to misfire. Hi Michael. Firstly I think your thermostat is on the blink, which is not a big, or expensive job. However, make sure you get the right thermostat as Citroen have several with different opening temps. Secondly, the revving up and down suggests to me that the earth lead is either broken or has come loose! Again not a big, or expensive job. You will find it between the engine block and the battery. Also, if the thermostat is ok, there is a temperature sensor that could be faulty. It is located above the thermostat housing on the right. Bill Laird from County Down

Submitted: 17/07/2015 17:38:36 | ID: 118566

gordon, Cornwall

Citroen Xsara

need a new wheel and would like to know wheel size we require

Submitted: 16/06/2015 12:04:36 | ID: 117273

debbie, Dorset

Citroen Xsara

why does my fuel gauge keep showing that I have more petrol thanks in the car, the gauge often shows 3/4 in the tank then the next time I take it out it reads 1/4 tank, it leaves me unsure of how much I have in the tank , it never seems to show low readings only high, thankyou.

Submitted: 05/06/2015 15:20:03 | ID: 116842