CITROEN XSARA questions and answers

CITROEN Xsara

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN XSARA models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN XSARA. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN XSARA questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

steven, Gloucestershire

Citroen Xsara

its a 1.6 lx 16v. Where is the starter motor on this car as it will not turn over. Thanks steve

Submitted: 15/04/2014 13:28:28 | ID: 94251

Brian Thomson, Aberdeenshire

Citroen Xsara

Hello, I'm having a problem with the lights in my car. When turning on the sidelights the back lights come on and the dash lights come on but I have no front side lights. I've checked all the bulbs and everything is fine, even had the sidelights manually wired to a battery and they come on fine, just nothing happens when using the control in the car. I've been advised this may be a fuse problem, but no fuse layout i can find matches what is in the car. And fuses in the car aren't numbered. Can anyone offer any kind of help at all as I need to get this sorted before it goes for an M.O.T. Thanks

Submitted: 12/04/2014 17:48:19 | ID: 94140

Mick Ralph, Worcestershire

Citroen Xsara 2002

How do I open my Citroen Xsara`s driver`s door? The central locking is working on all other doors. Thanks.

Submitted: 07/04/2014 12:00:26 | ID: 93996

Colin Ordell, Berkshire

Citroen Xsara 2002

I have just got a 2002 Citroen Xsara LX 1.6 petrol Estate and the battery was flat so I started it with a booster pack and drove from Wales to Reading with no problem. When I got home and turned the engine off it wouldn’t turn over and, although dash lights and horn and windows worked, there was not enough power to crank. Does anyone know if this would mean the battery is not holding charge or is it the alternator? The remote fob doesn’t work so I put a new battery in it, still it didn`t work so with no keyhole for the rear tailgate I can`t get in the back. Any ideas as to why this is not working or do I need to re program the key? Also the engine management light is on constantly? Maybe all this because the car, although MOT’d till Oct 2014 has not been driven since then. Can anybody help with any or all of these problems? Thanks. (LX estate)

Submitted: 04/04/2014 10:58:12 | ID: 93870

Stacey, County Londonderry

Citroen Xsara 1999

Hi. I have recently bought a Westcoast Citroen Xsara Coupe. I only just found out that the car`s been giving me a lot more trouble than I bargained for. It needs a new head gasket but I’ve been told I’d be better off buying a complete new engine for the car. I don`t really know much about fixing cars or prices etc but I`m really stuck and can’t afford to buy a new car as I need this one sorted for a new job in the caring profession. Can anyone tell me if I can use an engine from any other Citroen make or Peugeot?

Submitted: 04/04/2014 08:46:56 | ID: 93851

Mazlan Ayub, England

Citroen Xsara 1999

Hi. My Citroen Xsara 1.6 SX 1999 speedometer is not working probably? How do I fix it?

Submitted: 03/04/2014 11:50:53 | ID: 93580

Dave Murphy, Kent

Citroen Xsara 2004

Hi. Could anyone tell me why my Citroen Xsara`s headlights come on when I am driving? The light on my dashboard flashes on and off and my headlights come on for a minute or so, regardless if it is bright sunshine or dull outside. I was wondering if there is a sensor somewhere that turns the lights on when it gets dark or rains etc? It is really annoying that they come on without me turning them on. I don’t know if it is a wiring problem or whether the sensor is playing up. Any ideas? I will disconnect it if possible as I don’t need this function. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. (HDi Estate)

Submitted: 03/04/2014 08:30:09 | ID: 94013

Peter Copperstone, Gloucestershire

Citroen Xsara 2001

My Citroen Xsara has a throttle problem, without warning my throttle stops responding at any time but the engine is still running. If I put my foot down nothing happens, however if I turn the engine off and back on all is fine. This is very dangerous and frustrating as it has happened when crossing busy roads and my ticker will not take much more. Some say it`s the brake switch/throttle sensor/ecu. Does anyone know what I can do please? (XL automatic)

Submitted: 01/04/2014 09:48:52 | ID: 93715

S C, England

Citroen Xsara 2002

I was driving along and my Citroen Xsara made an electric ping noise like a warning noise, not a mechanical noise. Any ideas?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 14:19:58 | ID: 93649

Carl Huxley, Wales

Citroen Xsara 2002

My Citroen Xsara`s warning light goes on and off with a bell sound when I`m driving. Is it the brake sensor? (1.4 estate)

Submitted: 31/03/2014 11:18:50 | ID: 94003

Jay, Australia

Citroen Xsara 2002

Is the clutch set up the same on a 1998 Xsara 1.8 as a 2002 Xsara 1.6?

Submitted: 26/03/2014 10:58:24 | ID: 93591

Phemelo, Botswana

Citroen Xsara 2004

Immediately after fitting a clutch kit to my Citroen Xsara 1.6 it just wouldn`t accelerate. If you press the accelerator pedal it does not respond. Can anyone help?

It maybe that under the battery there is a plug as the throttle is electronic, if you follow the throttle cable up you will see where it goes. You would of had to disconnect it to get access to the starter motor, hope that helps. Warren Beamer from England

Submitted: 17/03/2014 11:53:15 | ID: 62912

Lisa Ainsley, Lancashire

Citroen Xsara 2002

Hi, my Citroen Xsara 1.4 will not go into first or second gear. Can anyone please tell me what is causing this to happen as it goes into third, fourth, fifth and reverse? Thanks.

Submitted: 07/03/2014 12:05:23 | ID: 62663

Yvette Almannai, Australia

Citroen Xsara 2000

Hi, when I put the key into the ignition of my Citroen Xsara it will only go halfway in and the steering wheel lock is on. I can`t get it off as the key will not go all of the way in. Any suggestions how to fix it please? Thanks.

Try and "wiggle" the wheel left or right while trying to turn the key the lock will stop the key to turn while it’s up against it pain in the backside to be honest. Adam from England

Submitted: 24/02/2014 12:36:21 | ID: 59703

Alan Redrup, Middlesex

Citroen Xsara 2003

Hi, my Citroen Xsara’s airbag light stays on. I have been told it is the steering wheel squib ring. Is this an expensive part to replace and is it something I could repair myself? Thanks. (1.4 LX petrol)

Check under the seat, the cables come away from the sockets on driver’s side due to seat adjustment. You can hard solder the joints if you remove the driver’s seat first. Pat Larvin from Warwickshire

Submitted: 14/02/2014 11:07:06 | ID: 90910

Lee Marks, England

Citroen Xsara 2000

I’ve just purchased a Citroen Xsara Estate and when I put it into reverse gear it beeps a couple of times and then goes into a constant high pitched beep. I assumed this was a parking sensor but I reversed right up to a wall and the high pitched beep did not change. I just wondered what this noise means? It’s only on when I reverse?

The Phase II Xsara did have the option of a reverse warning detector, though I’ve never actually encountered one. They’re as rare as hens teeth. There should be a dash-mounted switch to control it. Failing that, it may, of course be an aftermarket add-on. I fitted one of those to one of my own Xsaras. Why it should appear to be faulty I can’t say, but doubtless it can be disabled if required without too much problem. The sounder should be detectable by simply listening, then just unplug. If you wanted to retain the function I imagine it wouldn’t be overly difficult to replace with an eBay item, as there’re cheap enough. Even the original bumper sensors might be used if it’s just a control box issue. Phil Simmons from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 23/01/2014 16:23:30 | ID: 61314

Jean Armel, Mauritius

Citroen Xsara 1999

My Citroen Xsara 1.4 petrol won’t start. A few days ago I stopped the engine and then an hour later I tried to start it in vain, the engine was dead. I verified that the fuel pump is working and the battery is okay. What can the cause be?

All sorts of possibles here. It might be the immobiliser has armed itself, in which case it certainly won’t start. There’s so many things to check thro’, that without a proper diagnostic test, you could be hunting in the dark for ages. Get it to a dealer or garage that has the Citroen-specific reader for the car - a Lexia3. A cheap plug-in reader will not help with this Phil Simmons from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 20/01/2014 09:27:37 | ID: 60908

Ann Dowling, Ireland

Citroen Xsara 2002

Hi, I`ve just bought my Citroen Xsara. It seemed to be driving great but the engine turned itself off the other day while I was driving. It started again straightaway but this has happened now 4 times in the last 2 weeks. Also I’ve noticed that the driver`s electronic window sometimes goes down instead of up and the dim light symbol sometimes flashes on the dash even though the lights aren’t on. Is the electronic computer chip or whatever it`s called starting to go? There’s 80,000 miles on it and it`s a 1.4 petrol.

Check battery terminals are clean & tight. Without a thoro’ diagnosis, it’s a bit like shooting in the dark, but I’d suggest getting the fuel pump in the tank checked - you can suffer intermittent wiring glitches and I did have one pump slowly and erratically die on me - that needed replacing. Electric windows - always check the wiring bundle in the gap between driver’s door and frame. Peel back the rubber sleeve and look for breaks. Dim light symbol?? Side lights possibly? If it’s flashing, it might be a bulb out Phil Simmons from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 17/01/2014 14:27:59 | ID: 60850

Jean Armel, Mauritius

Citroen Xsara 1999

My Citroen Xsara`s engine won’t start. The fuel pump is working but it seems that there is no spark at the plugs. What would cause this please?

Submitted: 17/01/2014 10:12:29 | ID: 60826

Imtiaz Khan, Greece

Citroen Xsara 2000

When I turn off my Citroen Xsara it won`t start again for some time, but sometimes it starts and runs normally. Could this be an electronic problem?

Submitted: 13/01/2014 10:25:43 | ID: 60621

Ray Hodson, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara 2001

My Citroen Xsara`s clutch release bearing shattered and bust the pressure plate. I have now replaced the clutch and put the gearbox back in 11 times but it`s still not right. When I start it and put it into gear it lurches forward, even with the clutch pedal fully pressed down. What can I do please? (estate 2.0 LX hdi)

Clutch friction plate fitted round the wrong way - it’s possible? Phil Simmons from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 10/01/2014 11:10:59 | ID: 57736

Nate Best, Oxfordshire

Citroen Xsara 2002

Hi. I have just purchased a Citroen Xsara 1.6i 16v (110) from a dealer as a cheap run around. I bought the car quite cheaply sight unseen. On driving the car it drives brilliantly, better than our prior 406/407s I think. The problem is that the electrics are a bit iffy on the driver`s side. 1) Electric window won`t work. 2) Central locking from the driver`s door won`t work at all. If I lock from the passenger door the central lock locks and then immediately unlocks as though a door is open. (The lights do flash with the central locking). 3) I have noticed the interior light doesn’t work on the driver`s door but it`s okay on all other doors. Can anyone suggest what I can do please? (LX estate)

Dead easy and likely all the same cause. Open driver’s door and inspect the wiring loom running between door and frame. Peel back the rubber boot over it and I’ll be you find one or more fractured wires inside there. The big plastic nut can be undone at the door end, like a giant bayonet light bulb fitting, and the other end can be pulled somewhat from the door frame (it’ll push back in) and this will give you more room to work. Match up the broken ends, then solder in 2-3 inch lengths of new wire to extend and repair the breaks. That way the new wire will be sitting where the old bend was, so less likely to go again. Put everything back as it was Phil Simmons from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 09/01/2014 12:30:29 | ID: 60490

Mahmoud Abed, Egypt

Citroen Xsara 2002

My Citroen Xsara 1 display unit doesn’t work so I don’t know the speed, fuel level and temperature. Also there is no light on the display. All these faults happened after washing the car. I checked all fuses but they were good. Everything is functioning but not appearing on the display. Please advise me what I can check to solve this problem? Thanks in advance. (Xsara one)

Submitted: 07/01/2014 14:08:15 | ID: 60390

Stephen Elwell, England

Citroen Xsara 2000

I`m trying to fit reverse parking sensors on my Citroen Xsara. The sensors are all in and the wiring is all through but I don`t know which wire is for the reverse light? (It`s the estate by the way).

Note which bulb comes on, then undo the light unit - which you’d have to do anyway. The bulb you need will be staring you in the face - just trace back the copper printed circuit to the connector. Earth of course is connected to all the lampholder bases, so it’s the circuit from the bulb central pin you want. Tap into the associated wire anywhere after the plug-in connection Phil Simmons from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 07/01/2014 10:04:22 | ID: 60354

Paul Burbidge, Northamptonshire

Citroen Xsara 2000

Hi, could anyone tell me which manual adjustable clutch cable l can use to replace the auto adjustable cable on my W reg 1.4 petrol Citroen Xsara please? I have seen it mentioned on this site but no-one has said which cable to use? Any info would be great, thanks. (1.4 petrol)

There’s no such animal. Just fit either the Dealer supplied one or one from a good Motor Factor Phil Simmons from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 06/01/2014 11:47:15 | ID: 60300

Linda Milner, Staffordshire

Citroen Xsara 2001

Where do I find the controls to change the time and date on my Citroen Xsara? I have looked in the manual and it says 2 buttons but I cannot find them?

On the dashboard display there are two buttons to the right of the display. Hold top one in for a few seconds until display flashes. Then it gives you a choice of time, year, month, day, mph/kph, 12h/24h, etc. These flash up in turn. Press the top button to select what is showing or the bottom one to advance say, the months, hours, etc. These reset obviously, when the battery is disconnected for any reason. Eric Scarboro from Durham

Submitted: 17/12/2013 15:46:30 | ID: 58265

James Herraghty, England

Citroen Xsara 2002

Can anyone tell me where the fuse is for the back window wiper motor on my Citroen Xsara, as I can’t get to it and can’t get the water to come out of front and back wipers? Thanks.

Water doesn’t come out of the wipers and is quite unrelated. Try Fuse No. 5 under the bonnet, but that’s a stab in the dark owing to the number of fusebox layouts there are. Probably a 10A fuse (red) and should be replaced with a 15A (blue). If that doesn’t fix it, likely the pump itself is broken. Dunno about wiper motor fuse number, but it is on the same circuit as the heated rear window, so quite a hefty one Phil Simmons from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 05/12/2013 15:54:35 | ID: 58811

Louisa, England

Citroen Xsara 1999

Can anyone help please? Me and my husband recently bought a Citroen Xsara and we found that the blowers work but don’t blow out any warm air. We have also noticed that the thermostat does not move even though the engine gets hot. I`ve looked on another forum that it could be something to do with air in the radiator but we have bled it and still nothing changes. We have also run the car so that the fan kicks in so we know the engine is hot but still the gauge does not move. Has anyone else got any suggestions? Also the central locking has a problem whereby the driver`s door doesn’t seem to be on the circuit at all and will only unlock that door when unlocked from the driver`s side. Then if it`s unlocked by the passenger`s side it seems to lock then unlock straight away and when you try again it locks the passenger side but leaves the back doors open. Please help?

Submitted: 05/12/2013 12:16:49 | ID: 58824

Alan, Ireland

Citroen Xsara 2003

My Citroen Xsara rubs it`s back wheel when going round corners or when weight is put in the back. Why is this?

My wife’s had the same problem. Bushes in rear axle. Ended up getting good second hand one from breakers. Been ok ever since about 3 years now Mike Richards from England

Submitted: 21/11/2013 10:29:56 | ID: 57461

Doug Davies, Cheshire

Citroen Xsara 2001

The central locking on my Citroen Xsara 2001 won`t work, even turning the key in the locks, it seems to lock and then unlock immediately. Also the driver`s auto window won’t go up or down and the left indicator won’t work. I put a new battery in the key fob. Are all electricals connected? Thanks for your help.

It’s one wire that runs into the driver’s door. If you open the driver’s door and unscrew the loom from the door and pull the rubber back you should see the wire has split. I just used a small electricle block and connected them back. Mike from Lancashire

Submitted: 19/11/2013 10:53:03 | ID: 58068

C Light, Dorset

Citroen Xsara 2002

My Citroen Xsara`s key fob is not working. I`ve done all of the resets as online. When I sit in the car and press buttons on the fob I can hear a click coming from the fuse box next to the steering wheel. The fuel gauge reads full one minute then goes to halfway, a few days later it goes back to full. Now the orange light has come on and I have only done 236 miles on a full tank, so I put in £20 fuel and it went back to 3/4 of a tank ...so frustrating. Can anyone help?

Your key fob will need properly recoding to the car and that needs the Dealer’s Lexia3 machine - if it’s possible, that is. Ignore fuel gauge readings - they lie... horribly. No there isn’t a cure, just get used to its charming idiosyncrasies P Simmons from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 18/11/2013 16:15:16 | ID: 58056

Sharon Thorn, England

Citroen Xsara 1999

My Citroen Xsara has a warning light that has come on which looks like a K on it. Please can anyone tell me what this is? (SX)

Engine management warning light or EML. Go to dealer or garage and get a diagnostic plug-in, at an extortionate rate Phil Simmons from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 18/11/2013 12:53:29 | ID: 58030

Joao Oliveira, England

Citroen Xsara 2001

Hello. After a flat battery the key fob fails to lock or unlock the trunk of my Citroen Xsara. How can I sync the fob again? Thank you. (Sedan)

Hello John I’m having the same problem and searching how to solve it. The key fob does not activate or deactivate the alarm and I think the key has to be re-coded, but already 2 days on this and nothing yet. Did you manage to solve your problem and if so, how? (<span style="color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"><em>Olá João. Eu estou com o mesmo problema e procurando como resolvê-lo. Esqueci a luz acesa e a bateria arriou, então dei o "tranco", rodei 40 milhas e quando tentei ligar novamente não funcionou. O key fob não ativa e nem desativa o alarme. Creio que a chave tenha que ser recodidficada, mas já está a 2 dias na mecânica e nada ainda. Vc conseguiu resolver o seu problema como? Obrigado.</em>) </span>- Marcos Padilha from England

Submitted: 15/11/2013 15:37:26 | ID: 93131

Stacey Ricketts, England

Citroen Xsara 2001

Is the clutch pedal on the Citroen Xsara estate controlled by a spring or hydraulics? Also can someone tell me how to fix it as it doesn’t spring back up when changing gear? Thank you. (Estate)

Your clutch is ran by a cable, which is auto adjust, you will have to replace the cable or try and get a manual adjust one Johnboy from Warwickshire

Sometimes you can just put your foot under the pedal and flip it back up. Obviously you can’t ride the clutch as it is hydrostatic and will burn out really quickly. Eric Scarboro from Durham

Submitted: 15/11/2013 11:25:27 | ID: 57935

Ian Evans, England

Citroen Xsara 2002

I`ve just put a new clutch cable on my Citroen Xsara but dont know how to release the self adjusment part in the middle? Can anybody explain?

Submitted: 11/11/2013 11:30:04 | ID: 57614

Tony Halliday, Durham

Citroen Xsara 2002

Hi. Can anyone help? I need to replace the front brake pads on my Citroen Xsara and can`t find out which braking is installed. Please help? (HDI 90 bhp estate)

If you look on the caliper it will tell you what type they are there are three or four different types from lockey, girling help this helps Janet Wood from Derbyshire

Submitted: 07/11/2013 15:26:31 | ID: 57549

Roy Churchill, Hampshire

Citroen Xsara 2000

Hi, the boot on my Citroen Xsara will not open, it makes a noise when I press the button on the key fob but the boot will not open. Please can you help?

Press down on the boot lid just above the lock. Hey presto it opens Kris Palmer from Oxfordshire

May be a central locking fault my Xsara suffers it too. Try sitting in car and operating the central locking via the drivers door switch, on and off a couple of times, check if boot opens. Mine has moved on from this, so second trick is to open the drivers door and operate the key fob lock, (not unlock) button, then check the boot David May from Derbyshire

Submitted: 07/11/2013 12:11:42 | ID: 57486

Lohi Miontini Ako, Ireland

Citroen Xsara 2001

I have a Citroen Xsara and the stop sign shows on the dashboard with the warning bleep when I drive for a short distance in the morning, then it disappears. Recently heavy white smoke started coming out with an engine miss. Then it becomes okay after a short time of running the engine. What could the problem be?

Sticking brushes in cooling fans. Lightly tap the fan motor hose and free the sticking brushes or replace with new/second-hand. Paul Sidnham from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 04/11/2013 15:33:27 | ID: 57279

Mick Small, Kent

Citroen Xsara 2000

Hi there. I took my Citroen Xsara shoppin, everything was okay. I got home and went to start the car again but it would not start and all the gauges and dash lights were going wild. I thought the battery could be the problem so I charged it but the same thing happened, so I bought a brand new battery. Now it`s turning over okay and all the dash lights and gauges are all okay but it still will not start. Can anyone help please?

Submitted: 04/11/2013 15:03:48 | ID: 57325

Chris Barber, England

Citroen Xsara 2002

Diesel has split onto my Citroen Xsara`s alternator and possibly shorted it. Can the alternator be repaired or is a new one needed?

Submitted: 29/10/2013 16:01:57 | ID: 56983