CITROEN RELAY questions and answers

CITROEN Relay

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN RELAY models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN RELAY. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN RELAY questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Tom Walsh, Ireland

Citroen Relay

I need to change near side driveshaft to gearbox oil seal. I have the shaft out but cant remove the plate holding the seal in place.

Submitted: 12/04/2014 14:46:38 | ID: 94127

John Brown, Worcestershire

Citroen Relay 2008

I have a Citroen Relay (Feb 2008) which has been privately converted to a campervan. I need to know for insurance if it has an alarm or a disabler. The key is electronic and a light flashes when the van is locked but I don`t know if it has an alarm? Thanks. (camper conversion)

Submitted: 07/04/2014 15:21:20 | ID: 93562

John Varnava, London

Citroen Relay 2006

Can anyone help please? My Citroen Relay van loses power when you accelerate from the lights, it sort of goes into limp mode. Sometimes it goes so slowly I pull over and turn off, wait for a few minutes and it starts okay, sometimes it takes longer. This model has been so bad I`m never buying a Relay again. Any ideas please? Thanks.

Submitted: 07/04/2014 11:54:11 | ID: 93911

Keith, Ireland

Citroen Relay 2012

I have a 2013 Citroen Relay. Why would the emission light come on?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 11:03:35 | ID: 93876

Elroy Johnson, Yorkshire

Citroen Relay 2007

Hi. I have a bad oil leak from a pipe just underneath the top of the engine of my 2007 Citroen Relay 2.2. Four litres of oil will last approx. 300 miles. Does anyone have any ideas please? I have had turbo oil return pipe changed but located the pipe causing it just under the top of the engine. Does anyone know the name of it? It is black, not rubber or metal and is quite thin? Thanks.

Submitted: 03/04/2014 08:44:22 | ID: 93815

Soma Pillay, England

Citroen Relay 2012

I have a 2012 Citroen Relay 2.2 and excessive water is coming out of the exhaust. Please can anyone advise me as to what is wrong?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 09:50:30 | ID: 93718

Jonathan Fletcher, Derbyshire

Citroen Relay 2008

I have a problem engaging, sometimes the 5th gear, but mainly the 6th gear. It is an intermittent problem. Could it be problems with cables or a problem with the actual gear change?

Submitted: 26/03/2014 10:57:19 | ID: 93590

Darren Andrew, England

Citroen Relay 2012

I have a 62 plate Citroen Relay with 52,000 miles. My starter motor has gone. Would that be covered by warranty?

Submitted: 17/03/2014 11:40:07 | ID: 62814

Wes, Suffolk

Citroen Relay 2009

My Citroen Relay has 50,000 miles and a full service history and has been driving fine, but I just noticed on the odd occasion plumes of black smoke coming from the exhaust. After a while it clears. Any ideas as to what that could be?

Submitted: 14/03/2014 12:37:59 | ID: 62831

J Pattison, County Down

Citroen Relay 2010

Why does the master relay warning light come on on the dashboard of my Citroen Relay and then go off after a couple of minutes? Is it to do with interior lights or exterior lights?

Submitted: 13/03/2014 12:02:14 | ID: 62792

Mick, Sussex

Citroen Relay 2007

Please can anyone help me? I have a 57 plate medium wheel base Citroen Relay and for a while fifth gear has been a bit awkward to engage. Now reverse seems to be playing up too. I can select it but it`s very stiff to disengage. I know the clutch is worn as it is at the top of the pedal and the gear lever broke around 6 months ago. I am just wondering if I should have had the cables changed?

I had the same problem. It was caused by the link where the gearing cable joins on to the gearbox link. Just remove the nut on the link (13mm spanner) and remove the link grease and re-fit. Ni from Wales

Submitted: 03/03/2014 15:13:50 | ID: 62444

Gurbux Kasbia, Nottinghamshire

Citroen Relay 2008

Hello. I have a Citroen Relay van and the cooling fan doesn’t work. The temperature gauge is in the middle but it`s not overheating. I just want to know what this means and if it’s worth me buying another cooling fan? Or maybe If I have to buy a fuse?

Submitted: 25/02/2014 15:05:59 | ID: 62346

Cristos Megas, Powys

Citroen Relay 2008

Hello. I cannot get my Citroen Relay into reverse gear. Is it to do with linkage or worn white plastic where the gearlever goes into? (2.2 HDI L2 hightop)

Submitted: 18/02/2014 12:20:08 | ID: 86263

Jane Bowen, England

Citroen Relay 2010

Hi. I have a Citroen Relay Enterprise. My remote will not open or lock the doors. I have to open the front door with a key and lock and unlock the side and back doors using the button on the dashboard. Please can anyone help? Thanks. (Enterprise)

Had a similar problem with my Citroen Relay based Motorhome. The dealer replaced the key fob battery and it’s been fine since. Alan Clare from England

Submitted: 17/02/2014 11:11:37 | ID: 62170

Johnathan Wheatley, England

Citroen Relay 2002

My Citroen Relay runs okay but out of the blue the engine management light comes on and it stops running. After a few minutes it will start up and run again. What could be causing this? (diesel)

Submitted: 14/02/2014 12:31:44 | ID: 62021

Shane Rue, Cardiff

Citroen Relay 2007

Hi, I have a 2007 Citroen Relay. It`s been in a garage a few times as I was having trouble starting it from cold, so they have messed about with it a lot I think and it`s cost me a lot of money. Since I have had the van back it has been draining the battery when not in use, like overnight. A friend had a look and tested the battery and alternator and they are both working as they should. I don`t know what to do as it looks like they have messed up my electrics. Any ideas please? (lwb)

Had the same trouble and just after putting a new battery in it. I thought it must be something else so spent a small fortune looking at other things... pumps injectors ect ... It ended up the battery (that also tested ok) changed it and all is well again Alan McCamley from Northern Ireland

Submitted: 10/02/2014 16:18:53 | ID: 61876

Michael Mccardle, Ayrshire

Citroen Relay 2005

Hi. I have a Citroen Relay 2.2hdi 05 plate van. I have a problem with a loss of power on my van and this has only started the past couple of weeks but seems to be getting worse. The loss in power seems to be happening on the motorway only when driving above 30 miles an hour or going up hills. I had a look under the engine bay at the vacuum hoses for the turbo etc and all seemed fine, but when searching I found a multi plug (1 green, black wire and 1 purple wire). Location of this plug is under a black cover around the centre of the engine bay at the top and this cover is held on with 2 10mm bolts. The part that this was plugged into looks to be between a hose coming from the turbo and re-attaches to the top of the rocker cover. Does anyone know what this part is? After re-attaching the cables on this multi plug my van has now got an engine management light on and the speedo has stopped working. Could this all be caused because of the breaks in this cable? Thanks for your help if anyone has had this problem. (2.2 hdi)

Submitted: 10/02/2014 15:54:21 | ID: 61881

Donna-Marie Fletcher, England

Citroen Relay 2002

Hi, this morning my partner drove our Citroen Relay van 3 miles up the road. As he came to a standstill at the roundabout the van wouldn’t accelerate but it was still running (he’d just fuelled the van too if that’s any help). He gave it 5/10 minutes and drove the van back home and it was fine. As this was happening the fans stopped too if that’s at all relevant. We purchased the van yesterday and this was the second time my partner drove it. Any ideas please? Thanks.

Submitted: 07/02/2014 10:13:20 | ID: 61810

Steve Rowell, England

Citroen Relay 2007

Hi there. Does anyone know the reason why I have a diesel fume smell coming through the heater vents of my Citroen Relay? Many thanks.

Submitted: 03/02/2014 09:10:30 | ID: 61601

Chris Stead, Staffordshire

Citroen Relay 2008

I have a Citroen Relay 2.2 Ford engine. When started all of the lights go off and then a few seconds later the oil light starts flashing on and off for about 15 seconds. Then it goes off. I only had new oil and filter 200 miles ago and the level is spot on, all 5 zeros are showing on the dash. Can anybody help?

Hi, could be one of to things one is needs oil light reset using diagnostic computer or the oil level is slightly too high. David Gurney from England

Submitted: 30/01/2014 12:07:06 | ID: 61527

Charlie Boyle, Ireland

Citroen Relay 2008

One of my cooling fans comes on when my Citroen Relay is not running and drains the battery. I changed the relay switch but it still did not sort the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

A common fault is when water gets in the fuse box under the bonnet and causes a short. If left too long the van won’t turn off when running. David Gurney from England

Submitted: 28/01/2014 16:23:52 | ID: 61457

Neil, Ireland

Citroen Relay 1994

I cannot find the vacuum pump for headlamp adjusters on my Citroen Relay. The hose goes from headlamp to switch. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 20/01/2014 12:37:01 | ID: 60742

Alan Moly, England

Citroen Relay 2006

My Citroen Relay had very low engine oil and has gone into limp mode. I have topped it up and it`s still in limp mode. Does anybody have any advice as to what my next step should be please?

Submitted: 14/01/2014 09:01:01 | ID: 60659

John, Shropshire

Citroen Relay 2004

Hi. I can not start my Citroen Relay van, only if I push it. Two months ago I changed my old battery for a new one. I had the same problem after 3 days then I changed the starter motor but I had the same problem again. Sometimes it starts but sometimes not, only if I push it. Could it be resistance in the wires or an immobiliser fault? Also sometimes the battery light is not as bright as the other and it didn’t show up, when I drove it just started flashing. Please can anyone help? Thanks.

Check the charge rate when running with lights on, should be 14.4v or thereabouts. There are many other reasons, depends if it’s turning over as normal - if not electrical, tight ancillary etc. If turning over ok, possibly glow plugs, worn engine. -Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Could be the earth strap to the gear box very common fault. David Gurney from England

I had the same problem with my Citroen Relay Van 2 years ago. The problem was eventually traced to a loose electrical earth connection on the engine block. No problems since John H from Renfrewshire

Submitted: 10/01/2014 12:58:04 | ID: 60582

Ali Ahmad, London

Citroen Relay 2007

Hi. I have a 2007 Citroen Relay. It shows aux option on it. Where can I find the aux connector?

Submitted: 09/01/2014 11:44:51 | ID: 60415

Tony Halfacre, England

Citroen Relay 2002

Hi, does anyone know the reason why the power steering pump whines and groans on my Citroen Relay Lwb 2.8td? Many thanks guys. (2.8 td)

Submitted: 07/01/2014 10:02:02 | ID: 60353

Stephen Davis, England

Citroen Relay 2005

When driving my Citroen Relay I feel through the steering wheel a little left to right movement as if the front wheels are slightly moving from side to side, ever so slightly. There is no noise. I`ve had new front tyres and had all the steering checked out, nothing loose or worn. Could it be the steering pump? It turns and tracks well, just when the steering is in a neutral position I can feel like a gap of about an inch either way. It was not like this before and there are no other symptoms. Can anyone offer any help? Many thanks. (2.0. tdi)

Put the vehicle at the top of a steep road, turn the engine off, but leave the ignition on intermittent (dash lights on) let the vehicle roll down the road. If the wobble stops then your pump is at fault, if not check the new tyres properly. A friend of mine bought two new front tyres and after a few weeks discovered that one was bad and this caused side to side movement, which eventually got a lot worse. If the tyres are fine, I suspect ball joints or worn track rods. Antony Gallagan from England

Submitted: 03/01/2014 12:38:02 | ID: 60238

Tony Holland, England

Citroen Relay 2009

I took my Citroen Relay van into a garage earlier this year and the van was diagnosed as needing a new fly wheel and clutch also as is the course when fitting a new wheel. There is a vibration coming up through the pedal now, only very slightly but it`s there all the same and can be felt when in drive motion also and although the vehicle is pulling okay and doesn’t seem to be causing any problems the vibration is driving me mad. It seems to come up through the vehicle. I have googled this problem and it`s suggested that the problem is the dual mass fly wheel . Now seeing as this has been changed I am thinking that it is the release bearing as this wasn’t changed at the time. Does anybody have any info on this for me please?

Hi, it would be most usual for somebody to change a flywheel and clutch without changing a release bearing. A clutch kit comes with this included and should always be changed. The judder could be the flywheel (dual mass flywheels are good but can be unreliable) or the clutch itself, if you had it done less that 12 months ago, take it back as parts warranty will cover the cost of replacing the faulty part although they will probably say subject to no driver abuse being visible. Don’t leave it as it will get worse. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Martin, thank you very much for your answer. I shall get on to this with the garage in the morning, regards. (PS. I shall post outcome.) Tony Holland from England

Submitted: 31/12/2013 14:10:44 | ID: 59953

Adam, Cumberland

Citroen Relay 2005

How many miles or years do you change the cambelt on a Citroen Relay 2.0 hdi?

Submitted: 20/12/2013 11:36:26 | ID: 59513

Kay Westgate, Essex

Citroen Relay 1999

My Citroen Relay`s passenger seat head restraint is broken and I have a replacement. However I cannot get the old one off. I even took it to a Citroen dealer and he tried but failed. Can anyone help please? (camper van)

Submitted: 19/12/2013 09:15:37 | ID: 59483

Barry Arnold, Essex

Citroen Relay 2004

I have a Citroen Relay. How do I adjust the side sliding door as the top`s out and bottom in when the door`s shut?Water comes in at the top when it rains. (mid wheel high roof)

Submitted: 10/12/2013 15:14:24 | ID: 59064

James Gray, Hertfordshire

Citroen Relay 2008

I cannot find the bonnet release on my Citroen Relay. I think it should be below the passenger side glove box but it may be missing. If so how do I open the bonnet? (long wheelbase, high roof line)

Open the passenger door, the release is in the side panel of the dashboard. Jacen Hedges from Kent

Submitted: 05/12/2013 12:23:49 | ID: 53496

Nigel Banks, Moray (Elgin) and Nairn Shire

Citroen Relay 2003

I have a Citroen Relay panel van which is forcing water out at the expansion bottle cap. The van runs well , does not overheat and there is no sign of water in the oil. I have replaced the expansion bottle and cap but nothing has changed. Any ideas?

Exactly the same here - head gasket I’m afraid. Paul Jones from England

Submitted: 26/11/2013 16:13:48 | ID: 58654

Joe Rawsthorne, Lancashire

Citroen Relay 2009

My Citroen Relay has just had a heavy bump and as I drove off the side of the road now FPS on is showing. What is this?

FPS usually means the inertia switch has tripped. If it’s a pre 2008 it should be up behind the glove box on the n/s. Remove all covers inside the glove box to find it. If not there it is controlled by the airbag ECU (on the floor next to the battery tray). A diagnostic reset is required. Hope that helps. Andy Skene from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 26/11/2013 12:40:34 | ID: 58624

Storm Lupson, Devon

Citroen Relay 2007

Hi, I have a Citroen Relay 2.2 hdi 120. I can’t work out how to use the trip computer to change from van mileage to mpg setting on the dash? I hope that makes sense and thanks in advance.

On the end of the stalk "press button" Steve Havill from England

Hi, if this is a Relay 3 then you press the end of the right hand(wiper) stalk to scroll through the different options. Phil from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 25/11/2013 10:10:43 | ID: 64863

Ross Le bail, England

Citroen Relay 2007

Hello. When my Citroen Relay van is ticking over for a few minutes it cuts out and stalls on it`s own. Sometimes I go to rev it when it starts to stall and the accelerator pedal doesn’t work either? Once it has stalled and I restart it’s back to normal, then a couple of minutes later it stalls again. Also where is the oil filter location?

Hi, check your diesel filter, when did it last have one. Oil filter on the 2.2 hdi is at the front of engine to the left of stater motor and is a black plastic case with a hexagon on it and houses a filter element Phil from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 22/11/2013 09:13:34 | ID: 58240

John Smith, England

Citroen Relay 2007

The back doors on my Citroen Relay van make a noise like a machine gun when I use the central locking key and the doors won`t lock. Can anyone explain why?

Submitted: 14/11/2013 11:46:21 | ID: 57831

Heather Beresford, Wiltshire

Citroen Relay 2007

How do I fit a gear change control binacle side to the Citroen Relay L3?

Submitted: 07/11/2013 10:49:36 | ID: 57158

Wayne Turner, London

Citroen Relay 2008

When I start my Citroen Relay van the oil light comes on and flashes for about 1 minute then goes off. The van has dune 91,000 miles. Please help?

It’s the service indicator. Get your van serviced and also ask them to reset the indicator at the same time Ben Paton from England

Submitted: 01/11/2013 15:36:23 | ID: 57163

Stuart, Cumberland

Citroen Relay 2012

Hi. I have a 2012 Citroen Relay and the oil light is permanently on, but the worst is that the door sensor beeps a lot of the time, especially when I go round a corner! Does anyone know how to disable it? Cheers.

I had this problem with the door censor. U need something to press in the sensor pins on the door frame to keep it from beeping. Blue tac and a button pushed the pin further into its socket anf has worked for me without any bother for months. kevin kilroy from Donegal

Submitted: 29/10/2013 09:13:51 | ID: 56787