CITROEN C5 questions and answers: Page 4

CITROEN C5

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN C5 models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN C5. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN C5 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Kathy Yardley, Cheshire

Citroen C5 2005

My Citroen C5 was used to jump start another car, immediately after doing so the stereo stopped working, It still ejects cds and lights up but it isn`t showing properly on the display panel, you can`t even navigate to the icon for the stereo, in fact it looks pixelated! I have tried disconnecting the battery for a good half hour to no avail. Please can someone help as Citroen have told me I need a new display panel (best part of £400) but the rest of the panel works fine? (exclusive)

Submitted: 20/12/2013 12:09:47 | ID: 59583

Charles Brooks, Merthyr Tydfil

Citroen C5 2001

While driving my Citroen C5 the immobiliser cuts in shutting the engine off. If I lock and unlock the car it starts up sometimes, only driving about 100 yards before doing it again. Any ideas?

Submitted: 17/12/2013 15:39:28 | ID: 59402

Khaldoun, Jordan

Citroen C5 2003

My Citroen C5 never starts after a cold night. What should I do?

change the starter motor and check earth conections kevin townsend from Leicestershire

Submitted: 09/12/2013 16:37:31 | ID: 58074

Eddie Hennessy, Berkshire

Citroen C5 2009

My Citroen C5`s wipers are not working in new modenl. Any ideas?

Submitted: 09/12/2013 16:05:12 | ID: 58965

Gordon Purvis, Northumberland

Citroen C5 2010

Hi, my Citroen C5 just had a service and I was quoted £76 for replacing both front daytime driving lights. I have just switched them off as one was gone. Has anyone replaced these as in the manual it advises to contact your dealer, but £76? Regards.

Go to Halfords, they only charge about £7 a bulb. It is difficult to get your hand in and this option is cheaper than a garage. Shaun Whetnall from Staffordshire

Further to the previous answer, yes go to Halfords, bulbs £7(ish)+ £3(ish) and they will fit the bulb. Unless you have very small hands it is not even worth doing yourself. Peter stubbs from Conwy

Submitted: 06/12/2013 14:32:00 | ID: 58905

Ralph Deane, Lancashire

Citroen C5 2007

I have a Citroen C5 2Ltr hdi hatchback exclusive. When it is cold it starts no bother, but after it has been running for a while and the engine is up to operating temperature, if I stop the engine it will not restart until it is cold again. Why is this? (exclusive hatchback):

Submitted: 03/12/2013 14:27:29 | ID: 64174

John Paters, East Ayrshire

Citroen C5 2005

Hi. I have a 2005 Citroen C5 estate, I have changed the suspnsion pump, but did this without changing it to it`s own ecu, or black box that sits on top of the pump. I then did use it`s own but think it has confused it. I have bought another 05, C5 saloon, both are 2.0hdi. Could I change the esu off the saloon and if so what do I change? Is the esu on top of the pump coded, if so can you vigin them and where? Thanks. (diesel)

Submitted: 25/11/2013 14:20:58 | ID: 58574

Aksam Naous, Syria

Citroen C5 2004

My Citroen C5 has a problem that the engine temperature is high while driving slowly in town but it is normal when driving fast on the highway?

The cooling fan is not working Thamiso Tshenyego from Botswana

Submitted: 21/11/2013 12:28:15 | ID: 58202

Cathy Lewsey, Sussex

Citroen C5 2002

This may sound like a stupid question, but what does the "ECO" button do on the heater panel of my Citroen C5? Does it turn the AC on or off? I have it off at the moment but will I get better mpg with it turned on? (HDi)

Switches off the Air Con pump, which is driven by the engine. Therefore reduces the work needed to be done by the engine and saves fuel. James Watson from England

Submitted: 21/11/2013 09:57:19 | ID: 58154

Ron Eustace, Ireland

Citroen C5 2005

My Citroen C5 is losing power when driving. Why? (1997 petrol)

I had the same problem and Citroen service restarted the computer. It did not change after some time, I got info that the car need to be cold when they upgrade the computer. It was done, now it is like a new car ;-) Bjarni Bergmann from Iceland

Submitted: 01/11/2013 15:26:25 | ID: 57212

Ray Robertson, Aberdeenshire

Citroen C5 2009

I was out in my Citroen C5 and I stopped for chips and when I restarted the car there was no sound from the radio, I tried factory reset as I thought this might fix it but still no sound and when I reversed there was no sound from the sensors either. Everything else seems to be working okay with it, just nothing coming out of the speakers and the same with the phone, I can`t hear the person on the other end. Any ideas? (Exclusive)

I have the same problem, did you get it sorted? Damien Dixon from Meath

Submitted: 29/10/2013 14:27:11 | ID: 56809

Stephen Sheehan, Ireland

Citroen C5 2004

I have had my Citroen C5 since new. Lately it failed to start. The engine turns but no ignition. Diagnostics show zero problems. My mechanic thinks it is the fuel pump relay in the fuse box. This is a sealed unit and needs to be replaced completely costing 600 Euros . I`m not sure if this will fix the problem. Any clues or info would be greatly appreciated? (1.8 vtr)

Submitted: 28/10/2013 14:59:56 | ID: 56772

R Shemwell, Nottinghamshire

Citroen C5 2004

I`ve just bought a Citroen C5 and am only getting 34 mpg. Also I had a warning light engine coolant was too hot. It starts first time, no smoke from the exhaust and I`m not sure how nippy it should be as I usually have petrol. Any ideas please? (hdi 110 vtr 5dr)

Submitted: 28/10/2013 12:54:56 | ID: 56748

Jeremiah Chiyangwa-Chamboko, Hertfordshire

Citroen C5 2001

My 2001 Citroen C5 has its engine management light and service lights on and it is also displaying anti pollution system faulty with a loss of power and vibrating when driving up to 70mph. I have just done the service but it`s still doing the same. What could be the cause?

Hi, Va Chiyangwa. It seems there is something wrong with your fuel pump failing to supply enough fuel or you have a misfiring cylinder, which may need replacement of the plug or coil, just have those two checked. Is "Catalytic Fault" also not displaying because those two fault displays are best friends, they normaly accompany each other? Godfrey Maguma from England

Submitted: 22/10/2013 09:07:50 | ID: 56342

Daniel, Nottinghamshire

Citroen C5 2004

I am finding that I have to press my Citroen C5`s accelerator pedal really hard before I find the biting point when moving off. Is this the cable on it`s way out?

Submitted: 22/10/2013 08:57:30 | ID: 56441

Dene Nicholls, England

Citroen C5

My Citroen C5 has front parking sensors yet nothing shows up on the display, If I`m in reverse the back sensors work and it shows on the display. Is this normal or do I need to have the front ones hooked up to the video or checked? Also I keep getting told I have a flat tyre/puncture yet the tyre looks fine no problems. I pump the tyre up anyway and the fault goes away but comes back days later, yet still the tyre looks fine. Is this a puncture or faulty sensor? Finally my driver`s door won`t stay open, it keeps shutting all of the time. Is this normal or does this need checking? In any answers please include if the work should be included in the warranty as I have only had the car about one month. (exclusive)

Hi. I bought my C5 Exclusive new a year later it came up with tyre puncture. I stopped to check and when I stopped to look the valve fell into well and the ring which holds it in place was in three bits i=on the alloy. Citroën fixed this free of charge. Great. A year to within a week the same happened Citroën replaced all valves again as they said there must be a problem. This time they are all steel rings instead of the aluminium ones that were originally on both times. Now my radio has no sound, so no idea on that one Ray Robertson from Aberdeenshire

Submitted: 17/10/2013 11:55:36 | ID: 56215

Gerald Devine, Yorkshire

Citroen C5 2004

How do I replace the rear windscreen wiper motor on my Citroen C5? (hatchback)

Submitted: 10/10/2013 12:42:38 | ID: 56076

Yentl Donn, England

Citroen C5 2005

My Citroen C5 has just had a service when they reset everything and with that my radio/CD has disappeared. I can’t seem to get it back. I have tried going back into the menu options but can t find any radio/music settings! I have tried pushing all buttons. Please can anybody help?

Submitted: 01/10/2013 09:48:53 | ID: 55108

Barry Clarke, Cambridgeshire

Citroen C5 2003

Hi, have a C5 after about 6 months the speedo stopped working, have the stop light up and abs light seems like it’s in limp mode, won’t rev over 4k replaced the front wheel speed sensors. Does it need to be reset on diagnostics? It also has a bad earth when cold. It’s turning over slow, the earth going to gearbox is getting warm. If anyone knows were the others are it would be helpful. (diesel)

Submitted: 17/09/2013 10:16:59 | ID: 54032

Anthony Steele, Lincolnshire

Citroen C5 2002

We have a Citroen C5 exclusive hdi 136 5 dr and the suspension pump went on it. We bought a second hand one from ebay, had it fitted and took it to Peugeot with the result they could not decode it and it would not work. (Citroen will only decode new parts). Does anyone know if this can be done or have had the same problem?

Submitted: 10/09/2013 16:28:54 | ID: 54154

Betim Berisha, England

Citroen C5 2007

I have a problem with my Citroen C5 2007 model. While I am driving normally suddenly the dashboard says ’’esp defiante" and then the car turns off. What is this problem please? Canyone help me, I need advice please?

Submitted: 10/09/2013 10:28:31 | ID: 54224

Jamie, Ireland

Citroen C5 2009

Hi, I have a 2009 Citroen C5 which has recently had the front drop links and passenger side bushin replaced. Since this was done there has been a loud squeal when turning left. Also I have noticed that a cable which was attached to the brake callipers has snapped off and is hanging down. Does anyone know what the cause might be? There is also a loud rattle coming from this side of the car.

Sounds like your handbrake cable has come adrift. Yes handbrake operates on the front. Paul Fitzgerald from Somerset

I think you will find the parking brake works on the rear wheels on a C5 x7, at least mine do (steel springs). Paul Cofield from Yorkshire

Submitted: 09/09/2013 10:22:01 | ID: 53519

Rushan Bassadien, South Africa

Citroen C5

Hi. I was sitting in my Citroen C5 with the radio on for about 30 minutes when a message came on the dashboard saying powersave mode active. Now the car does not want to start. Please can anybody advise me what to do?

I hope you had it fixed already. All you needed was a jump start, but normally the computer switches off your radio and activate power save mode that disables all power utilising gadgets (you can’t even open windows ). It will reserve enough power to restart your car. In this case it might also mean that your battery is worn out. Godfrey Maguma from South Africa

Submitted: 30/08/2013 08:22:58 | ID: 53737

Michael Uriel, England

Citroen C5 2009

I have a Citroen C5 2.0 hdi on an 09 plate. For the last 6 months or so the idle jumps up to about 1300 on the rpm counter. As soon as I put my foot on the brake pedal it goes down to normal, then when I take it off it goes back up. This may happen half a dozen times a day. Any ideas?

Submitted: 29/08/2013 09:39:03 | ID: 53718

Marilyn Hob, England

Citroen C5 2007

Sometimes a message saying speed sensor faulty comes up on my Citroen C5 Estate. Why and where is it? My suspension has started going up and down erratically while in or out of the car. My engine seems to ’hiccup’ now and again too. None of the above happen all of the time, just now and again. Any idea what the problem could be please?

Submitted: 22/08/2013 15:20:57 | ID: 65243

Eugene Zanozin, Australia

Citroen C5 2009

I notice this question was posed as one of three, one question got answered whilst this one missed out. Can anyone help please? Intermittently, when I start my Citroen C5, the radio/cd has no sound but all of the display comes up. The front and rear parking sensors display but there`s no sound. Bluetooth for the phone is working, as the other party can hear me, but I can’t hear them. If I run the car, turn it off for 5 minutes and come back and start it, then everything works again.. The car has the Blaupunkt RD4 radio/cd. Does anyone have any idea about what`s wrong? (Exclusiv 3.0 V6 Twin-turbo diesel)

Submitted: 05/08/2013 09:47:43 | ID: 53256

Eugene Zanozin, Australia

Citroen C5 2009

I notice this question was posed as one of three. One question got answered whilst this one missed out. Can anyone help please? Intermittently, when you start the car, the radio/cd has no sound but all of the display comes up, the front and rear parking sensors display but there`s no sound. Bluetooth for the phone is working, as the other party can hear me, but I can’t hear them. You run the car, turn it off for 5 minutes, come back and start it, all works again. Any ideas on what`s wrong? The car has the Blaupunkt RD4 radio/cd. (Exclusiv 3.0 V6 Twin-turbo diesel).

Submitted: 05/08/2013 09:27:39 | ID: 53159

Michael Lawrence, Ireland

Citroen C5 2010

At what mileage should the turbo system on my Citroen C5 be serviced? I have a suspicion that, despite recommended regular service, this aspect was overlooked resulting in turbo failure. I purchased the vehicle June 2010 - is this turbo fault still under warranty? Thank you. (1.6 hdi)

Submitted: 05/07/2013 10:26:02 | ID: 65112

Tony Carguillo, Yorkshire

Citroen C5 2008

I have several problems with my Citroen C5. 1.My auto is sticking in "P". When you put your foot on the brake it won`t come out of P until you pump the brake pedal over and over. You can then hear a low click from the consul and then it`s free. This happens more when it`s warm or after being used. I was told to change the brake switch which has been done twice now with no effect. I have to leave it on it`s electronic handbrake and don`t feel safe. Can anyone help before I spend £100s? 2.All of a sudden the radio/cd has no sound but all of the display comes up and the rear parking sensors display but there`s no sound. What`s wrong? 3.Finally the A/C is suddenly not cold and blows like an ordinary blower. Please can anybody help me with these problems? Many thanks. (2.0L auto saloon Exec)

I had the same problem of sticking in P. I was in Spain touring with a caravan so was a little bothered! I went to a Citroen garage near Calpe and they diagnosed a faulty switch in the top of the autobox. They ordered one and I went back next day and it was fitted in less than an hour cost 60 euros. Hope that helps Alan from England

Submitted: 01/07/2013 11:12:21 | ID: 64048

Peter McQuin, Nottinghamshire

Citroen C5 2009

I have a Citroen C5 and I want to change the engine oil filter paper cartridge that fits into a finned aluminium tank at the bottom front of the engine. The tank is secured by a socket head screw. Do I require any ’O’ ring or other seal, as the paper cartridge has arrived with nothing else in the box ? Answers will be very much appreciated, thanks. (2 litre diesel)

Yes, unscrew the plastic filter housing, take out old cartoosh filter (paper), wipe and clean old oil off parts your dealing with. Fit the new O ring and fit the new filter, replace top, and fill engine to correct level with oil Richie Fairhead from Durham

Submitted: 20/06/2013 11:13:47 | ID: 54211

Kevin Gawne, Fife and Kinross Shires

Citroen C5 2001

Hi, my suspension on my Citroen C5 has decided to get stuck between the medium and high suspension point. The dashboard light for the suspension has all 4 lights showing up. The car still drives fine but I don’t know what to do. I have pressed the buttons for the suspension and nothing happens! Please can anybody help? (HDI 2.0 litre)

Submitted: 18/06/2013 09:56:39 | ID: 67408

Nigel Macleod, Ross and Cromarty Shires

Citroen C5 2008

Can anybody help with the fitting of a 6-disc CD changer? My Citroen C5 was registered in March 2008 and was supposed to have one, but did not. I bought the right unit and plugged it in to the frame under the driver’s seat, but it is evidently not connected to the radio, although Citroen assured me that it would be! Any help would be appreciated. (Exclusive saloon)

You need to enable the option through lexia software or go to your local dealer and have the stereo enabled on their machine Michael Morgan from Kent

Submitted: 18/06/2013 09:07:12 | ID: 55497

Aled Jackson, Wrexham

Citroen C5 2009

Could someone please tell me where the Air Conditioning filter is located on my Citroen C5 2009 model (New Shape)? My Air Conditioner is blowing warm air and I want to check the filter before having it re-gassed. Thank you.

Submitted: 07/06/2013 08:58:12 | ID: 92031

Matt Fitz, Ireland

Citroen C5 2008

Swishing water sound coming from dashboard! I’ve noticed that a swishing water sound appears to be coming from under the dashboard of my Citroen C5. I mainly notice it going around sharp corners or roundabouts - sounds just like water moving from one side of the dash to the other (seem to be more on the passenger side than the driver’s side)! This has been the case for maybe two weeks now - but this morning I have noticed that the foot well on the driver’s side is wet! I’m guessing that water isn’t being allowed drain properly from the windscreen area but I can’t find any drainage holes that appear to be blocked! Any help appreciated. Thanks. (1.6HDI)

I had the same problem with exactly the same symptoms and it was the heater matrix that had gone Graeme from England

Probably way too late but the run off vents on either side of the windscreen /bonnet is probably backed up with leaves dirt etc. Happened to me, flooded the windscreen wiper motor - 200 euro. Coat hanger would have fixed it Conor Flood from Westmoorland

Submitted: 28/05/2013 15:46:15 | ID: 55562

Russell Myhill, Norfolk

Citroen C5 2005

I have the chance to buy a Citroen C5 which is worth the money but when you turn the key to start the car it will turn over, stop for a split second, then carry on and start. Why does the starter motor stop and start?

Submitted: 03/05/2013 16:17:06 | ID: 55712

Ronny Madsen, Norway

Citroen C5 2010

Sometimes smoke comes out from the hood of my Citroen C5. It lasts for 30 seconds / 1 minute and after that there`s nothing. A lot of smoke comes out. Citroen where we bought it say it’s normal, but I haven’t seen anyone else have the same problem. Is this normal?

No, of course it isn’t. No smoke should be coming from under the hood. There could be oil landing on a hot area, or a turbo letting go, but you need to go back to the garage and tell them they are incompetent if they think it’s normal Rick Ferries from Aberdeenshire

Submitted: 02/04/2013 11:56:53 | ID: 92492

Malcolm Wheeldon, Lancashire

Citroen C5 2004

When doing a full lock turn my Citroen C5 would shudder and this would be felt through the steering. I had new tyres and the tracking was out so I had it done electronically which helped. The handbrake does not click for the first 2 inches of travel and it was found the nearside cable was stiff and had the outer covering worn away from touching the tyre on full lock. The car drives straight with the steering wheel central and has equal turns from lock to lock, so what could be causing it? (2.0ltr HDI VTR automatic)

Submitted: 04/02/2013 11:15:11 | ID: 89565

Maurice O’Connor, Australia

Citroen C5 2006

Approximately one year ago my Citroen C5`s speed limiter malfunctioned. For example, when it is set to 110 km/hr the car will not go faster than approximately 80 km/hr. All dashboard indicators seem normal. (The battery was replaced about a year ago and that fixed the malfunctioning power steering.) Can anyone help me please? (2.0 L Turbo HDI BVA saloon)

Submitted: 31/01/2013 11:56:03 | ID: 66755

Karl Wragg, Derbyshire

Citroen C5 2004

Due to the recent events with the weather my Citroen C5`s central locking stopped working, (I`m not able to use the button on the key). After a week of using the key to lock the car I decided to disconnect the battery and re-connect it, only to find that the car will not start. The battery is only 14 months old and the car was fine before I did what I did with the battery. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Can anyone tell me what to do?

Hi! Problem is that when you took out battery you have less than 5 seconds to reconnect the battery otherwise you must reprogram the car, which can cost around anything from £80 Ollie Merritt from England

Hi, open the car with the key. Turn the key 5 times so the dash lights up only... Lock the car with key, wait 5 mins approx it reprograms the code from the ecu back to the key David from England

Not true, I have a C5 2:0lt estate for nearly five years, taken the battery off many times and never had to get the car reprogrammed, I,m a competent diy'er, I changed the clutch and converted that pathetic dual mass flywheel to a traditional solid one piece flywheel last year, had the battery off for two days, or was it three, and no ill effects, total rubbish :-) Geoff sim from Cheshire

Submitted: 29/01/2013 10:10:32 | ID: 89668

Miles Chettle, Cheshire

Citroen C5 2010

While driving at night the screen of my Citroen C5`s sat nav turned a bright yellow and I could not read the display. The next morning it was back to normal and it hasn`t done it again. Any ideas why this happened? (vtr+nav)

I have owned a 10 plate C5 VTR Plus Nav HDi 160 for a month. Shopped in a Mondeo Titanium X because I had a fault with the touch screen sat nav and couldn’t face the cost of putting it right. Then on Friday the sat nav screen on my C5 went yellow - I was not amused. Drove about two miles, stopped the car and started it again - still yellow. Left if for about 20 minutes and now all ok. So something to keep an eye on. I’ll let you know if I ever find out what happened or if the problem gets worse Mark North from England

By pure coincidence, my screen started doing this just today (13aug2014) - how annoying. Intermittent yellowing and fading. I see there is a bmw chatroom on such a topic. A well documented successfull solution involved a thorough cleaning of the ribbon connectors. Not only does it solve the problem, but also resulted in more vibrant colours. Search "bmw faded screen synndrome". A few years ago my satnav started playing up intermittently. After a thorough dismantle and clean, it has been fine ever since. I suppose after 13 years electrical connectors could do with a good. helen from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 24/01/2013 12:20:20 | ID: 89503