CITROEN C4 questions and answers

CITROEN C4

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN C4 models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN C4. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN C4 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Adrian Neal, South Africa

Citroen C4

My Citroen will randomly cut out when I come to a stop street or robot. It will start normally quite easily but wont idle very well and need to rev it a little. I have cleaned the mass air flow sensor. The car other than that runs very well and fuel consumption is excellent. It is an intermittent fault. I ran a diagnostics and came up with a P0106 power train fault. If you read on line it is not very specific and I don't want to replace half the motor. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 24/07/2014 19:47:48 | ID: 100301

David graham, Tyne and Wear

Citroen C4

When i am driving at low speeds at around 1800-2000rpm there is a judder and stutter with the engine feels like its going to drop or stall any ideas what it might be?

Submitted: 22/07/2014 23:18:19 | ID: 100181

sarah baldock, Hampshire

Citroen C4

We have a citroen c4 cool 2007. 3dr. The rear centre seat belt has jammed and cant pull out at all, just wont budge!! What to do to fix it??

Submitted: 21/07/2014 21:29:25 | ID: 100123

Darren, Blaenau Gwent

Citroen C4

My power steering has stopped working, I have had the work shop do a diagnostics test on it and can't not find any error codes or problems of any sort. I am now totally lost and not sure where to turn next if there is anyone that might have had the same problem and have some idea how to fix I would be greatful. I have read many forums and notice this problem is not uncommon with the citroen c4 coupes. Hope someone can shed some light on this massive headache.

Submitted: 21/07/2014 20:36:18 | ID: 100112

Kyle Thompson, Tyne and Wear

Citroen C4

My car currently vibrates at 70mph and vibrates violently when braking at around this speed. My car is new from september 2013 and according to the garage its brake pads and discs had warped and was classed as out of warranty on this occasion as the car was 10 month old. Problem was fixed or so i thought. My local dealership now has the car back and have had it three days and have had no resolution to the problem. Has anyone else had this problem and what could be a fix for it as my local dealership are completely stumped.

Submitted: 17/07/2014 17:11:17 | ID: 99868

Andreas Tsiourtis, Cyprus

Citroen C4

At high altitude the engine cuts out? It's a 1.6 petrol engine.

Submitted: 16/07/2014 21:45:58 | ID: 99818

Lindy Schafer, South Africa

Citroen C4

Hi. I have a 2005 C4 1.6 HDI and the car won't start. The motor turns but won't take. Water in the diesel filter came up on the display and we emptied it but it still won't start. Any ideas?

Submitted: 14/07/2014 05:50:38 | ID: 99629

Robert torley, City of Glasgow

Citroen C4

Hi, I recently got the o/s track rod end changed, but after it was done I tuned a corner and the steering wheel never returned to centre. It is electric power steering and I was wondering if there is a procedure to reset this?

Submitted: 13/07/2014 19:28:53 | ID: 99600

Roxsana, Greater Manchester

Citroen C4

Hi, basically my problem started after three weeks of purchasing a C4 Cool 2007. My battery goes. Then straight after jump starting the car the digital speedometre is giving me wrong speeds while I am driving.? Can anyone explain as to why that's happened?..

Submitted: 12/07/2014 04:15:04 | ID: 99492

John, Stockton-on-Tees

Citroen C4

i have a problem with gearbox, I have found a cheaper one but is from 1.6 petrol. Is it compatible with my 1.4 or I need to get one from 1.4 also? please any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks

Submitted: 07/07/2014 22:31:42 | ID: 99191

corey, Australia

Citroen C4

hello all i just purchased a 2007 Citroen c4 and unfortunately the radio stereo isnt working it has the cd stacker in the centre console and the head unit on the dash is there a way to reboot them or fix this problem and also is there a trick to reset the mileage travelled please help me

Submitted: 07/07/2014 02:08:19 | ID: 99105

g holt, Shropshire

Citroen C4

Got a Piccaso plain C4 and you can hear the valve clacking backwards and forwards when ticking over. It`s coming from the closet valve. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 27/06/2014 11:34:08 | ID: 98547

g holt, Shropshire

Citroen C4

Clicking noise from dooset valve, any ideas please?

Submitted: 27/06/2014 11:26:25 | ID: 98546

Allan, Australia

Citroen C4

Hi, my 2011 Citroen e HDI 1.6 Diesel with the electronic gearbox and 85000kms on the clock is really great to drive except when in a slow line of traffic (really slow/stop start sort of thing) the vehicle has an abrupt action when you take your foot off of the accelerator to slow down. Feels like load suddenly being released from the clutch plate. It is very annoying especially when in a really slow line of traffic. Also noticeable when driving down a mountain road and having to take foot off of accelerator to control speed. Is this normal as I am sure it did not do it until the last few months?

Hi, I have a 2009 16. HDi, EGS, which sometimes exhibits similar jerkiness. It seems to be a 'learned' behaviour in the throttle position sensor. I tried a reset procedure which I use with my auto BMW, and this seems to resolve the issue for me. Procedure is as follows: 1. Insert key and turn it until all the dashboard lights are on. Keep your foot off the brake, so the car won't start. 2. With the key in this position, press the accelerator fully to the floor, and hold it there for 30 seconds. 3. Release the accelerator, and leave it for a further 30 seconds. 4. Switch off the car, and leave for a few minutes for the reset to complete. Please let me know in this thread if this resolves your issue. Niall from Ireland

Submitted: 22/06/2014 08:23:07 | ID: 98215

Dave, Dublin

Citroen C4

Hi, I have a problem with the Multifunction Display. The car has been lying up for about a year so the battery was completely dead. I replaced it with a new one and when I switched on the Ignition the Multifunction Display had reverted to the "Default" French Language. No matter how many times I bring up the menu and reconfigure the Language and other settings to English, every time I switch off the Ignition the Display reverts to French!!! The Manual says choose "Personalisation Configuration" but there is no option to select this in my car. Please can anybody offer me some advice. Dave.

Submitted: 15/06/2014 17:52:23 | ID: 97742

Bongiwe, South Africa

Citroen C4

Why won't my car start in the morning we had a cold night?

Submitted: 10/06/2014 21:47:15 | ID: 97386

Camilo Alberto Peña Batres, Guatemala

Citroen C4

I have this car for more than a Year, I have the error ''fault charge battery'' or something like that. The first time that I have this problem, the Citroen guys tell me that it was the battery so they bougth me a new one but the problem come back two months after that. Now the problem is constant any single day it give specially at the morning this fault, but If I disconect and reconect the batery it reset the fault at least almost times, but some times I conect another battery in paralell and after three turn on and off the fault disapear. Can you help me what could be the problem? What Kind the battery that they should sold me because I never see the original and now I think they sold me a wrong battery. Thank you.

Submitted: 09/06/2014 22:00:18 | ID: 97313

savannah, Yorkshire

Citroen C4

My radio has all of a sudden stopped working, the display is still all lit up and the radio is tuned to the station just no volume. Tried turning car off and on again but still faced with the problem. Any suggestions?

Submitted: 08/06/2014 22:45:37 | ID: 97245

jennie dennison, West Yorkshire

Citroen C4

I have just bought Citreon C4 1.6 and for some reason boot door and rear passenger drivers side door wont open, any suggestions please

Submitted: 08/06/2014 07:35:03 | ID: 97177

Robert Mckinley, North Yorkshire

Citroen C4

How can I change my window brack bulb?

Submitted: 05/06/2014 17:31:25 | ID: 96988

Malcolm Clark, South Africa

Citroen C4

Have an intermittent starting problem. When it is cold it will start and stay running but when it has run for 6 or 7 kilometres and I switch it off it will not start again and one has to leave it until it is stone cold again. power pack for 1 and 4 was showing faulty this was replaced. suspected fuel starvation and replaced fuel pump. checked fuel pump relay. fresh out of options short of buying something else other than a Citroen. I really would appreciate some suggestions. the diagnostic computer program shows "damp short to earth" but not where it is.

Submitted: 31/05/2014 18:38:03 | ID: 96613

simon, Greater London

Citroen C4

I have a failure suspension warning light that has just come on and now my suspension is rock hard plz can someone help.its a Picasso exclusive.thx.

Submitted: 25/05/2014 21:18:49 | ID: 96156

Lindy Schafer, South Africa

Citroen C4

I keep getting an ESP/ASR faulty and ABS faulty, After I changed my tyre, any ideas what the problem can be?

Make sure all wheels have the same size, otherwise, when driving, wheels would have different speeds. Also, you might want to check if your wheel speed sensors are intact after replacing tyres. Cobileanscki Semion from Moldova

Submitted: 21/05/2014 11:15:44 | ID: 95837

Steve, Nottinghamshire

Citroen C4

Hi i have a C4 when i put the left indicator on or turn the sidelights on the main beam warning light glows when i put main beam on it goes full brilliance tried plugs in head light and sidelight all look clean no corrosion any ideas Thanks

Submitted: 26/04/2014 18:15:20 | ID: 94767

Elaine, Highland

Citroen C4

The warning beep for the fuel tank not properly locked beeps constantly but it is locked properly. Is there a way to turn it off?

Submitted: 23/04/2014 15:37:34 | ID: 94597

jsaon, Suffolk

Citroen C4

i have a anti pollution message keeps flash up what do i need to do

My car is sayin anti pollution what Should I do to resolve this matter. Can u tell me is there a alam in My car.2009 Terry from County Londonderry

Submitted: 19/04/2014 15:55:58 | ID: 94441

mourad, Middlesex

Citroen C4

i have awarning lamp flashing for depollution system what is it abouat

Submitted: 12/04/2014 13:14:49 | ID: 94126

Mckenzie, Surrey

Citroen C4

I have a citroen C4 and my airbag light is on and won't turn off. It used to go off and on but now it's staying on. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

Submitted: 09/04/2014 19:56:53 | ID: 94047

Alaa Tai, Jordan

Citroen C4 2008

I have a Citroen C4 2008 1.6 and when I put the gearbox on N less than 5 minutes later the car will turn off. Can anyone help?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 12:44:00 | ID: 94000

Paul Jarvis, Oxfordshire

Citroen C4 2012

I know the indicator sounds can be changed on my Citroen C4 but I don`t know how to do it. Can someone please help me?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 12:16:05 | ID: 93894

Mark Gudgin, Cheshire

Citroen C4 2008

I wonder if anyone could help or advise? I have just noticed on my Citroen C4 the off side and near side brake lights have stopped working. I have checked all the lights on the rear and they are all working apart from my brake lights and my centre top brake light is working fine. Many thanks. (vtr+)

Submitted: 24/03/2014 16:33:08 | ID: 62629

Mark Alessi, Australia

Citroen C4 2006

The engine management light is coming on in my Citroen C4, the antipollution system faulty light is coming on and the ABS faulty light is coming on intermittently, yet the car is running perfectly? Why is it doing this? (1.6 diesel turbo)

I have had a similar sounding problem, warnings popping up intermittently for anti-pollution, brakes, power steering and others. My garage has diagnosed a fault with the alternator - over volting. I am presuming that as the voltage is too high it is upsetting the electronics and sensors. I can't say if it I fixed as it is due to go in to the garage to be fixed the end of this week - then I will be able see if it has worked (or not ...) Currently it is worse when the car is hot (either due to warm weather or being stuck in traffic); and the brake warning is the worst as it can affect the power steering for a few seconds. Tony from East Sussex

Submitted: 24/03/2014 08:34:22 | ID: 63195

Sami Awija, Syria

Citroen C4 2011

I have a Citroen C4 and it works perfectly for the first few kilometers but after a while it won`t change the gear and even the first gear gets stuck sometimes. It`s a 2011 model and it`s been parked for around 2yrs and I changed its battery and the engine’s oil but still have the same problem. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 21/03/2014 11:51:21 | ID: 63156

Johnny Loughead, County Antrim

Citroen C4 2009

Has anyone got any idea why the rear wiper of my Citroen C4 comes on when I open the boot? The car is turned off with the keys removed when this happens. (vtr)

Hi I have this same problem with my c4 and my alarm keeps going off I've took it to various garages and they keep saying it's the bsi module but some have said it could be the battery I was wondering if u managed to fix yours ? Many thanks x kim from Warwickshire

Your boot wiring harness may be damaged around the area it enters the body. Citroen has a recall for some of the C4s. I fixed mine myself, get access to the inner wiring, inspect and repair if they are cut and/or shorting against any others. Don Youngs from Australia

Good evening, I will go with the last answer. I had various electrical problems with the boot i.e. wiper, boot stopped opening, rear defrost work differently. There was a factory recall to replace the boot loom. I saw it and couldn't believe how the wires had frayed and were touching one another. It is in the area where the wires go from the boot into the roof area of your car. Adrian Neal from South Africa

Submitted: 21/03/2014 10:21:52 | ID: 63122

John White, Australia

Citroen C4 2006

Hi guys. My Citroen C4 runs great 99% of the time, however after long drives of 2.5hrs or more the engine randomly loses power and the service light comes on signalling a fault with the anti-pollution system. This normally occurs when the car is working a little harder heading up hill in a higher gear. I have had the car serviced and the mechanics said it is functioning perfectly so they deleted the error codes. Only on the next long drive it happened again. If the car is turned off and allowed to cool for a few minutes it returns to normal function. Could this be a Cat converter fault or a different sensor? Thanks. (HDi 110.)

Submitted: 21/03/2014 08:35:28 | ID: 63011

Chris Du Preez, England

Citroen C4 2005

My Citroen C4 cuts out while driving and doesn`t want to restart. After a few days it will start. I have replaced the petrol pump thinking that was problem but no joy. Could it be electrical? I`m stumped.

Submitted: 11/03/2014 09:27:23 | ID: 62746

Nokthula Madonsela, South Africa

Citroen C4 2006

My Citroen C4 doesn`t want to go in drive, R and P are working. What is the problem?

Submitted: 07/03/2014 16:13:01 | ID: 62656

Elaine Bridges, Australia

Citroen C4 2006

My manual Citroen C4 diesel started running roughly as though it would stall, especially in first gear, immediately after the last service. I discovered my mechanic had never replaced the air filter-he just blew air through it! Citroen dealer thinks it might be the fuel injectors, so I put in 2 small bottles of fuel cleaner but nothing changed. It costs heaps just for a diagnostic test then heaps more to replace the injectors. Could it be some other easier problem? Is this common? (Diesel 1.6 turbo)

Submitted: 07/03/2014 09:59:52 | ID: 62648

Albert Yome, Gibraltar

Citroen C4 2007

My Citroen C4 had its timing belt changed at 35,000 Kms. Now Citroen Gib. tell me that at 55,500 Kms it needs replacing again at great cost and I think it’s too soon! I cannot get a straight answer from Citroen as they say " what if it goes"? Thanks. (1.6 petrol hatchback)

Submitted: 03/03/2014 14:16:55 | ID: 62471

James Hatch, Lancashire

Citroen C4 2006

I bought a 2006 Citroen C4 VTR in Jan 2013. All was fine until in Nov 2013 the car decided not to start. It would try and turn over and after trying 3 times, it would just click. I disconnected the battery lead as I was told that the computer on the car had to reset itself. I also tried both car keys at the time and still didn’t start. After a couple of days it started. This has happened 3 times now every 5-6 weeks and I cannot wait for this to happen again! Has anyone else had this problem?

Submitted: 24/02/2014 22:27:32 | ID: 61362