CITROEN C4 questions and answers

CITROEN C4

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN C4 models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN C4. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN C4 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

David graham, Tyne and Wear

Citroen C4

Ive had some trouble with my keys so decided to get a new one however when the chap was trying to program it to the car it kept coming up key learn error ECU locked, any ideas?

Submitted: 05/09/2014 19:25:34 | ID: 102668

robert s carter, Nottinghamshire

Citroen C4

what is the correct tourqe for the wheelnuts to tighten c4 sx 07 model.

Submitted: 05/09/2014 04:51:30 | ID: 102625

Len, South Africa

Citroen C4

My 2007 C4 1.6i petrol suddenly won`t start. Monday I went to work and back and Tuesday morning I could not start it. Battery is fully charged (1 year old). When turning the key to start, the engine is turning but won`t start. I tried to jump start it with my wife's car but the same story. It won`t even do a 'running' start off if towed. Central locking is working and headlights are bright. The central display on top of the dashboard (grey area) where speed, etc is displayed goes totally blank after the car is switched on. I replaced the battery terminals but no luck. This is the first time this happened since I cleaned the battery and terminals that were badly corroded a couple of months ago. One thing though is after the cleaning the language turned to French and no menu functions work to reset language, time, etc since then. Now it displays an INFO message"MODE ECONOMIE ACTIF '. I stay on a smallholding and am stranded as the closest Auto shop is about 15KM away. Any one with a suggestion?

Submitted: 03/09/2014 10:19:29 | ID: 102547

Ram, Greater London

Citroen C4

I have a antipollution warning come up and the engine light is on. Can any one tell me what the problem is.

Submitted: 26/08/2014 14:34:37 | ID: 102154

Geraldine, County Antrim

Citroen C4

Hi I get a squeaky noise every time I take foot off accelarator but only last for 10min do you know what is causing this as it is so annoying thank you

Submitted: 25/08/2014 16:44:38 | ID: 102102

liz, Torfaen

Citroen C4

Hi I bought the car a month ago and it died 3 days after purchase. It has since been back to the garage and has had a lot of work done, under warranty thank god, but I still have the error, automatic headlight adjustment faulty. Is this an easy cheap fix or do I need to try and go back through the warranty?

I had this problem until my egr valve was replaced on engine, i dont know if it is linked at all because i had several faults before it was replaced and now its working sweet David graham from Tyne and Wear

Submitted: 20/08/2014 23:53:28 | ID: 101843

shmuel, Israel

Citroen C4

The engine turns off while driving, and not turned back on

Submitted: 06/08/2014 23:55:26 | ID: 101047

Ronald, Fife

Citroen C4

Hi, I have had this car for 2 years now, I have roofbars from previous car that I can use, but I need to know the size of bolts -thread size for the 4 fix points on the roof. I know it is not M6 as I have checked these. Could you please advise, correct bolt thread size to use? Many thanks Ron

Submitted: 06/08/2014 15:54:12 | ID: 101024

Lynne Campbell, Nottinghamshire

Citroen C4

Got in the car put in key to start engine and Nothing completely dead so bump started it but soon as turned off again dead please can you help .

HI .....exactly same, happened in Wales .....2nd August ...car still there, cant diagnose. Spent £150 having fuel pump removed and tested . and fuel pump is fine Any success yourself ...I am in serious need of help ..if not will cost me £350 to have towed home from wales, and still be broken steve from Derbyshire steve from Derbyshire

Submitted: 06/08/2014 13:07:17 | ID: 101015

Richard, Lebanon

Citroen C4

Hi, I just bought my C4 and the language of the computer was set to french. I got someone to translate and help me through the settings but when I finally found it, it asked for the setup CD or something around that description. There is a CD that came with the car, tried it but it spat it out and asked again for a CD. Is there some way to override this or do I have to order a different CD? Please help, this is important cause I'm hopeless when it comes to french. Thank you in advance.

Submitted: 02/08/2014 18:39:45 | ID: 100780

Andrew Hall, Devon

Citroen C4

Hi, filled my car up today but the fuel gauge does not register the car as full any ideas

2008 c4 fuel gauge showing one bar flashing when tank is half full. john lynch from Ireland

Submitted: 25/07/2014 22:05:49 | ID: 100354

Adrian Neal, South Africa

Citroen C4

My Citroen will randomly cut out when I come to a stop street or robot. It will start normally quite easily but wont idle very well and need to rev it a little. I have cleaned the mass air flow sensor. The car other than that runs very well and fuel consumption is excellent. It is an intermittent fault. I ran a diagnostics and came up with a P0106 power train fault. If you read on line it is not very specific and I don't want to replace half the motor. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 24/07/2014 19:47:48 | ID: 100301

David graham, Tyne and Wear

Citroen C4

When i am driving at low speeds at around 1800-2000rpm there is a judder and stutter with the engine feels like its going to drop or stall any ideas what it might be?

Submitted: 22/07/2014 23:18:19 | ID: 100181

sarah baldock, Hampshire

Citroen C4

We have a citroen c4 cool 2007. 3dr. The rear centre seat belt has jammed and cant pull out at all, just wont budge!! What to do to fix it??

Submitted: 21/07/2014 21:29:25 | ID: 100123

Darren, Blaenau Gwent

Citroen C4

My power steering has stopped working, I have had the work shop do a diagnostics test on it and can't not find any error codes or problems of any sort. I am now totally lost and not sure where to turn next if there is anyone that might have had the same problem and have some idea how to fix I would be greatful. I have read many forums and notice this problem is not uncommon with the citroen c4 coupes. Hope someone can shed some light on this massive headache.

Submitted: 21/07/2014 20:36:18 | ID: 100112

Andreas Tsiourtis, Cyprus

Citroen C4

My engine cuts out at high altitude. Can anybody suggest why please?

Submitted: 20/07/2014 19:38:04 | ID: 100058

Kyle Thompson, Tyne and Wear

Citroen C4

My car currently vibrates at 70mph and vibrates violently when braking at around this speed. My car is new from september 2013 and according to the garage its brake pads and discs had warped and was classed as out of warranty on this occasion as the car was 10 month old. Problem was fixed or so i thought. My local dealership now has the car back and have had it three days and have had no resolution to the problem. Has anyone else had this problem and what could be a fix for it as my local dealership are completely stumped.

Submitted: 17/07/2014 17:11:17 | ID: 99868

Andreas Tsiourtis, Cyprus

Citroen C4

At high altitude the engine cuts out? It's a 1.6 petrol engine.

Submitted: 16/07/2014 21:45:58 | ID: 99818

Lindy Schafer, South Africa

Citroen C4

Hi. I have a 2005 C4 1.6 HDI and the car won't start. The motor turns but won't take. Water in the diesel filter came up on the display and we emptied it but it still won't start. Any ideas?

Submitted: 14/07/2014 05:50:38 | ID: 99629

Robert torley, City of Glasgow

Citroen C4

Hi, I recently got the o/s track rod end changed, but after it was done I tuned a corner and the steering wheel never returned to centre. It is electric power steering and I was wondering if there is a procedure to reset this?

Submitted: 13/07/2014 19:28:53 | ID: 99600

Roxsana, Greater Manchester

Citroen C4

Hi, basically my problem started after three weeks of purchasing a C4 Cool 2007. My battery goes. Then straight after jump starting the car the digital speedometre is giving me wrong speeds while I am driving.? Can anyone explain as to why that's happened?..

The speedo is set to kph instead of mph. If you go into settings you can change it back, it`s in with time, date and all that. I would go and check for you but mine is stranded in town, dead in the water... Mark from Powys

Submitted: 12/07/2014 04:15:04 | ID: 99492

John, Stockton-on-Tees

Citroen C4

i have a problem with gearbox, I have found a cheaper one but is from 1.6 petrol. Is it compatible with my 1.4 or I need to get one from 1.4 also? please any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks

Submitted: 07/07/2014 22:31:42 | ID: 99191

corey, Australia

Citroen C4

hello all i just purchased a 2007 Citroen c4 and unfortunately the radio stereo isnt working it has the cd stacker in the centre console and the head unit on the dash is there a way to reboot them or fix this problem and also is there a trick to reset the mileage travelled please help me

Submitted: 07/07/2014 02:08:19 | ID: 99105

g holt, Shropshire

Citroen C4

Got a Piccaso plain C4 and you can hear the valve clacking backwards and forwards when ticking over. It`s coming from the closet valve. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 27/06/2014 11:34:08 | ID: 98547

g holt, Shropshire

Citroen C4

Clicking noise from dooset valve, any ideas please?

Submitted: 27/06/2014 11:26:25 | ID: 98546

Allan, Australia

Citroen C4

Hi, my 2011 Citroen e HDI 1.6 Diesel with the electronic gearbox and 85000kms on the clock is really great to drive except when in a slow line of traffic (really slow/stop start sort of thing) the vehicle has an abrupt action when you take your foot off of the accelerator to slow down. Feels like load suddenly being released from the clutch plate. It is very annoying especially when in a really slow line of traffic. Also noticeable when driving down a mountain road and having to take foot off of accelerator to control speed. Is this normal as I am sure it did not do it until the last few months?

Hi, I have a 2009 16. HDi, EGS, which sometimes exhibits similar jerkiness. It seems to be a 'learned' behaviour in the throttle position sensor. I tried a reset procedure which I use with my auto BMW, and this seems to resolve the issue for me. Procedure is as follows: 1. Insert key and turn it until all the dashboard lights are on. Keep your foot off the brake, so the car won't start. 2. With the key in this position, press the accelerator fully to the floor, and hold it there for 30 seconds. 3. Release the accelerator, and leave it for a further 30 seconds. 4. Switch off the car, and leave for a few minutes for the reset to complete. Please let me know in this thread if this resolves your issue. Niall from Ireland

Submitted: 22/06/2014 08:23:07 | ID: 98215

Dave, Dublin

Citroen C4

Hi, I have a problem with the Multifunction Display. The car has been lying up for about a year so the battery was completely dead. I replaced it with a new one and when I switched on the Ignition the Multifunction Display had reverted to the "Default" French Language. No matter how many times I bring up the menu and reconfigure the Language and other settings to English, every time I switch off the Ignition the Display reverts to French!!! The Manual says choose "Personalisation Configuration" but there is no option to select this in my car. Please can anybody offer me some advice. Dave.

Submitted: 15/06/2014 17:52:23 | ID: 97742

Bongiwe, South Africa

Citroen C4

Why won't my car start in the morning we had a cold night?

Submitted: 10/06/2014 21:47:15 | ID: 97386

Camilo Alberto Peña Batres, Guatemala

Citroen C4

I have this car for more than a Year, I have the error ''fault charge battery'' or something like that. The first time that I have this problem, the Citroen guys tell me that it was the battery so they bougth me a new one but the problem come back two months after that. Now the problem is constant any single day it give specially at the morning this fault, but If I disconect and reconect the batery it reset the fault at least almost times, but some times I conect another battery in paralell and after three turn on and off the fault disapear. Can you help me what could be the problem? What Kind the battery that they should sold me because I never see the original and now I think they sold me a wrong battery. Thank you.

Submitted: 09/06/2014 22:00:18 | ID: 97313

savannah, Yorkshire

Citroen C4

My radio has all of a sudden stopped working, the display is still all lit up and the radio is tuned to the station just no volume. Tried turning car off and on again but still faced with the problem. Any suggestions?

Submitted: 08/06/2014 22:45:37 | ID: 97245

jennie dennison, West Yorkshire

Citroen C4

I have just bought Citreon C4 1.6 and for some reason boot door and rear passenger drivers side door wont open, any suggestions please

Submitted: 08/06/2014 07:35:03 | ID: 97177

Robert Mckinley, North Yorkshire

Citroen C4

How can I change my window brack bulb?

Submitted: 05/06/2014 17:31:25 | ID: 96988

Malcolm Clark, South Africa

Citroen C4

Have an intermittent starting problem. When it is cold it will start and stay running but when it has run for 6 or 7 kilometres and I switch it off it will not start again and one has to leave it until it is stone cold again. power pack for 1 and 4 was showing faulty this was replaced. suspected fuel starvation and replaced fuel pump. checked fuel pump relay. fresh out of options short of buying something else other than a Citroen. I really would appreciate some suggestions. the diagnostic computer program shows "damp short to earth" but not where it is.

Submitted: 31/05/2014 18:38:03 | ID: 96613

simon, Greater London

Citroen C4

I have a failure suspension warning light that has just come on and now my suspension is rock hard plz can someone help.its a Picasso exclusive.thx.

Submitted: 25/05/2014 21:18:49 | ID: 96156

Lindy Schafer, South Africa

Citroen C4

I keep getting an ESP/ASR faulty and ABS faulty, After I changed my tyre, any ideas what the problem can be?

Make sure all wheels have the same size, otherwise, when driving, wheels would have different speeds. Also, you might want to check if your wheel speed sensors are intact after replacing tyres. Cobileanscki Semion from Moldova

Submitted: 21/05/2014 11:15:44 | ID: 95837

Steve, Nottinghamshire

Citroen C4

Hi i have a C4 when i put the left indicator on or turn the sidelights on the main beam warning light glows when i put main beam on it goes full brilliance tried plugs in head light and sidelight all look clean no corrosion any ideas Thanks

Submitted: 26/04/2014 18:15:20 | ID: 94767

Elaine, Highland

Citroen C4

The warning beep for the fuel tank not properly locked beeps constantly but it is locked properly. Is there a way to turn it off?

Submitted: 23/04/2014 15:37:34 | ID: 94597

jsaon, Suffolk

Citroen C4

i have a anti pollution message keeps flash up what do i need to do

My car is sayin anti pollution what Should I do to resolve this matter. Can u tell me is there a alam in My car.2009 Terry from County Londonderry

Submitted: 19/04/2014 15:55:58 | ID: 94441

mourad, Middlesex

Citroen C4

i have awarning lamp flashing for depollution system what is it abouat

Submitted: 12/04/2014 13:14:49 | ID: 94126

Mckenzie, Surrey

Citroen C4

I have a citroen C4 and my airbag light is on and won't turn off. It used to go off and on but now it's staying on. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

Submitted: 09/04/2014 19:56:53 | ID: 94047