CITROEN C3 questions and answers

CITROEN C3

Ask and answer questions on a variety of CITROEN C3 models. Help and advice on everything CITROEN C3. Feel free to ask and answer as many CITROEN-related questions as you wish.

Below are the latest CITROEN C3 questions submitted by visitors to RoadTestReports.co.uk. To supply an answer, simply click on the "Answer this question" link underneath each question. Alternatively, if you want to ask a question, please use this simple form. Please try to make the question as detailed as possible, with all the information necessary for a comprehensive answer included. Please do not use "text speech" or type everything in CAPS LOCK.

Gina, West Sussex

Citroen C3

I have a Picasso c3. When I start engine the dashboard tells me to check oil and to get a service. When I check dip stick seems ok. Should I feel up with oil. This has happened twice in last 6months, does it really need more oil. I put a litre in last time. Not due a service until next year, only done 5k since last service .just passed mot although did have trouble with emissions, but that was fixed ,with recommendation that I use better petrol. Any comments on oil consumption ,or is this normal for this car

Submitted: 16/04/2014 17:02:36 | ID: 94325

tony baker, Durham

Citroen C3

My c3 keep cut ing out when I come to stop can u help plz

Submitted: 13/04/2014 12:56:05 | ID: 94173

Becky, England

Citroen C3 2002

Hi, please help. I have a problem with my 1.4 hti diesel Citroen C3 2002 model. Quite often when driving the clutch pedal sticks near the top and then jerks up to meet your foot and at the same time this then affects my accelerator pedal trying to push that down, so it feels like both pedals are sticking at the same time. It’s clunky/notchy and really frustrating because it does it changing in any gear and I’d appreciate any ideas as to what the problem may be because I have no idea?Thanks.

Submitted: 08/04/2014 16:22:41 | ID: 93984

Karen Hare, England

Citroen C3 2004

My Citroen C3 desire 2004 model`s driver`s rear lights have all gone out. Is it bulbs or a fuse?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 14:21:38 | ID: 93999

Martyn, Devon

Citroen C3 2008

Hey, basically I have an ABS light on my Citroen C3 that keeps turning on and off. I recently have taken it to a garage for a new brake switch. It came back on so I took it to another garage for another opinion. Apparently, one of the connectors were not put in correctly so when there was a fault the computer (EMS) wouldn’t record the issue. That has been fixed apparently. The car got rescanned and there were no faults located past or current, yet now a few days have passed and the issue has resurfaced. Any advice?

Submitted: 07/04/2014 11:38:05 | ID: 93922

Marie, Canada

Citroen C3 2012

Hello. I would like to know if I can fit 2 boosters and 1 car seat in the back of a Citroen C3? Thanks.

Submitted: 07/04/2014 09:45:09 | ID: 93888

David Roberts, England

Citroen C3 2004

After changing the semi auto gear box on my Citroen C3 the clutch does not work. Does anyone know why?

Submitted: 01/04/2014 14:59:52 | ID: 93762

Daisy, England

Citroen C3 2002

Hi. My Citroen C3 2002 is giving me problems. I recently changed the clutch kit and every time I stop the engine switches off on its own. Can anybody help please?

Submitted: 31/03/2014 14:37:02 | ID: 93679

Mark, Lancashire

Citroen C3 2006

How much petrol is left in my Citroen C3 when there is one line left on the dashboard?

About 40 miles Kaen Hare from England

Submitted: 31/03/2014 11:10:51 | ID: 93627

Peter Boardman, England

Citroen C3 1997

My Citroen C3`s offside electric window has stopped working. The motor mechanism is still working but it`s failing to go up or down. How can I fix the mechanism. I cannot find a diagram online to help me. Can you help?

Submitted: 28/03/2014 16:07:47 | ID: 93623

Sean Marshall, Northamptonshire

Citroen C3 2003

Hi. I have a Citroen C3 and have a slight oil leak left side of the front engine. It seems to be coming from the cambelt shalf one at the top, I think it`s the seal? Is this common and should I panic? The car`s not losing oil as I check every day. Can you help please?

Submitted: 21/03/2014 12:26:48 | ID: 63180

Lee George, Suffolk

Citroen C3 2002

Hi, I took my dash out of my Citroen C3 but the digital centre panels fell out (the one that shows the speed and mileage). I’ve tried putting it back together but don’t get any numbers, just a blank screen? The parts that fell out are a glass piece, a clear plastic piece and a white sheet/plastic piece. Does anyone know in what order or how they should go back in place? (LX)

Submitted: 20/03/2014 15:27:21 | ID: 63082

Dominic Al-kindy, England

Citroen C3 2003

My Citroen C3 makes a rattle and whine noise from under the car, almost like metal rubbing, just under the front passenger and driver`s feet. This only seems to happen on the motorway driving around 60mph. Any idea what it could be and how dangerous is it?

Submitted: 20/03/2014 14:07:51 | ID: 63057

Jean Rose, Suffolk

Citroen C3 2003

The front windscreen wipers and washers have stopped working on my Citreon C3 - diagnostics show fault with the indicator stalk. Will this be an expensive repair? (petrol)

Submitted: 20/03/2014 12:56:22 | ID: 63063

Andy, England

Citroen C3 2004

Hi, my wife’s Citroen C3 1.4 desire 54 plate has just developed a worrying problem. When changing gear, the clutch pedal on release seems to stick just before the top, at which time the accelerator cannot be pressed. There is a click noise then the clutch comes up and the accelerator is able to be used. Any ideas, as this could be potentially very dangerous? Thanks.

Submitted: 06/03/2014 09:55:39 | ID: 62591

Paul Branwood, Lancashire

Citroen C3 2002

Does the Citroen C3 1400 HDi 2002 plate have a submersible primer fuel pump in the tank to prime the fuel up to the high pressure pump? If it does what pressure is it pumping and what is the expected current draw for such a pump? (1400 HDi)

Submitted: 28/02/2014 15:32:47 | ID: 62436

Margaret Griffiths, Caerphilly

Citroen C3 2007

My Citroen C3`s back washer comes on intermittently without turning it on and so do my main lights. Why would they do this please?

Submitted: 11/02/2014 12:26:42 | ID: 62010

Chloe Cooper, Dorset

Citroen C3 2009

I’ve been searching the net trying to find how to connect my phone or mp3 player to my new Citroen C3 vtr. Does this model have blue tooth, if not how do you use the mp3 connectivity? I can’t seem to find a USB or an aux input anywhere? Help! (1.4 vtr)

Submitted: 06/02/2014 16:09:59 | ID: 61787

Emma Littlewood, England

Citroen C3 2004

Hello. My Citroen C3`s engine temperature gauge goes from one bar to all bars and bleeps to say it is overheating, but the engine is not warmer than the normal running temperature. The fan does cut in and my heating gets colder. Can anyone suggest what to do please? (Citroen C3 desire)

Faulty temperature sensor! Wolfgang czx from Austria

My car did had the same fault. I fitted a new temp sensor it is okay now. Jeff Crabtree from England

Submitted: 06/02/2014 11:56:30 | ID: 67021

Carly Ross, Sussex

Citroen C3 2006

Hi. I drove through some water yesterday in my Citroen C3 that pulled a little bit of trim off from the underneath of my car. Since then I have had a problem with not being able to easily put my car into gears 1-3 and when I do sometimes it slips out of gear! Any suggestions whether this is a temporary problem due to the water or have I ruined either/both gear box and clutch? (Desire)

Submitted: 06/02/2014 10:51:41 | ID: 61690

Elizabeth McGowan, East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Citroen C3 2005

I have a Citroen C3 Sensomatic and the gears only change up to third gear. Do I need a new gearbox?

Submitted: 04/02/2014 11:46:53 | ID: 61720

William Ferguson, Staffordshire

Citroen C3 2006

I have a problem with the boot lid of my Citroen C3 where water is running into the car when it`s opened. Any suggestions?

Submitted: 30/01/2014 11:53:17 | ID: 61508

Lorraine Walker, England

Citroen C3 2004

I bought a 2004 Citroen C3 SX petrol 1 month ago and I`ve noticed it`s using a lot more petrol than my 03 Punto. I thought this car would be cheaper to run. Any ideas please?

Submitted: 28/01/2014 15:23:57 | ID: 61424

Rob, Kent

Citroen C3 2004

My 2004 Citroen C3 1.4i heater fan suddenly starting making a loud vibrating noise, but only when the motor is turned to the high (maximum) speed setting. As soon as it is turned down a notch it runs fine. Can anyone suggest a cause and cure?

I have the same problem on my C3, I was wondering if you found out what the problem was? Would be great if you could help. Nick from England

Submitted: 28/01/2014 11:14:15 | ID: 56007

Karen Hare, England

Citroen C3 2004

When I put my Citroen C3’s headlights on the car screeches from under the bonnet on the left hand side. Does anyone know what this could be please?

Sounds like a simple accessory belt problem. Either adjust or even better replace it. They aren’t much. Martin (Master technician 20+ years) from Durham

Could possibly be the button that changes the height of the headlights, try messing with the switch that adjusts the lights. It may work and worth a try Jason Curtis from Worcestershire

Submitted: 10/01/2014 11:45:37 | ID: 60566

Terence, South Africa

Citroen C3 2006

I have a Citroen C3 1.4 SX 2006 model and I have 2 problems. The built in radio doesn’t want to eject my cd but it can still play the cd. Also I`ve just noticed that coolant is leaking from somewhere on the right of the head. Can anyone help please? Thanks.

Sounds very much like a Head Gasket failure to me. You can check some of the symptoms here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/diagnosing-car-problems/mechanical/how-to-tell-if-you-have-a-blown-head-gasket.htm Luke from London

Submitted: 09/01/2014 12:36:25 | ID: 60492

Mel Styger, England

Citroen C3 2004

My Citroen C3 is locked and we cannot get it open. No lock barrel. Can anyone help? (Vtr)

In the absence of a working remote fob as well? You will need to feel for a cable or rod just inside where the door lock was and pull on this to open. It’s hit and miss if you haven’t done it before. Martin (Master technician 20 + years) from Durham

You need to change the battery in the key. You can find these batteries on ebay, just make sure they are compatible with your key. (They look a bit like a pound coin). Luke from London

Submitted: 03/01/2014 11:40:03 | ID: 60135

Stephen Bates, Lancashire

Citroen C3 2003

We had the brake discs, brake pads and drop-links replaced on our Citroen C3 following a failed M.O.T. The car then passed it’s M.O.T but a short time later we started to get a clunking sound when the steering was on full lock. It seems to be getting worse. When I jacked the car up and had my wife turn the wheel there seems to be a noise from the top of the strut, as if it’s rubbing on something and the drop-link seems to "flex." I can’t think of any other way to describe it. Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance. (SX)

I have the same problem and it was the shock mounting and bearing. You can buy it as assembly and replace it. You will need to remove the whole shock absorber. Sammy Diaz from Bahrain

Submitted: 02/01/2014 08:54:48 | ID: 59987

George Whittaker, Lincolnshire

Citroen C3 2006

My Citroen C1’s screen washer works okay but the rear window washer makes a noise and no water comes out. Can anyone help?

Hi, I had a similar problem with my citroen c3, it was found to be a pipe leading to the rear washer had come apart from a connector. Pipe pushed back together then worked fine. Follow the pipe and check first. Jason Curtis from Worcestershire

Submitted: 30/12/2013 11:19:43 | ID: 59793

Pix Boddy, England

Citroen C3 2004

My Citroen C3`s alarm interior button bleeped this morning when I started the engine. I pressed the button on the dashboard as it was flashing. It drove fine, I left the car for 20 minutes, got back in and turned the engine on but it won’t start. Any ideas? (C3 semi auto)

Submitted: 23/12/2013 14:31:20 | ID: 59695

Ronald Douglas, Fife and Kinross Shires

Citroen C3 1994

I can no longer drive my Citroen C3. The clutch became noisy and vibrated against my foot, then the car lost power. Is this a clutch or gearbox problem and will it be costly?

Submitted: 23/12/2013 11:16:13 | ID: 59646

Margaret Dickinson, Yorkshire

Citroen C3 2010

I have recently bought a secondhand Citroen C3 but the bluetooth is locked. How can I find or change the password?

Submitted: 19/12/2013 09:33:13 | ID: 58978

Sharon Costello, England

Citroen C3 2005

There is white smoke coming out of my Citroen C3`s exhaust and the car is overheating. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Submitted: 16/12/2013 14:21:23 | ID: 59393

Roy Entwistle, Cheshire

Citroen C3 2006

My Citroen C3 Desire`s warning lights have come on, anti-pollution, faulty braking, ABS, airbags faulty and speedo has stopped working. Can anybody help please?

Submitted: 13/12/2013 10:00:54 | ID: 59145

Royen Pillay, South Africa

Citroen C3 2004

What is the problem if a brand new clutch kit has been fitted to my Citroen C3 and thereafter the car won`t move at all? (bubble shape)

Submitted: 12/12/2013 14:07:42 | ID: 59094

David Booth, Surrey

Citroen C3 2011

I have fitted rear parking sensors to my Citroen C3. Which are the correct wire colours to join the sensor power unit to the rear nearside light cluster?

Submitted: 06/12/2013 11:30:06 | ID: 58847

Janice Abid, England

Citroen C3 2005

My Citroen C3`s oil light comes on when I clutch and brake or turn a corner, but dipped for oil and it was fine. Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it safe to just ignore it? (The beeping`s really annoying).

Submitted: 03/12/2013 16:04:05 | ID: 58784

Kauno Mäkelä, Finland

Citroen C3 2002

My Citroen C3’s driver’s side window will not go up, only down. What should I do?

Could be a faulty switch. Try disconnecting the switch and try the driver’s side switch on the offending window. It could fix or rule out the switch. It’s the first step to a fix. Jason Curtis from Worcestershire

Submitted: 22/11/2013 12:15:32 | ID: 58504

Emma Spencer, England

Citroen C3 2003

Hi, My Citroen C3`s dash lights up and beeps to say its overheating. This doesn`t happen all of the time. The garage said there`s nothing wrong but now a red tap light is coming on. The water level in the car is fine. Does anyone know what it may be? (desire)

Scrap it. Rath Patterson from Bedfordshire

Hi there, mine has been doing the same. I have spent £700 on my car in the last 3 weeks, it’s had a new head gasket and a new thermostat. It’s still coming on but only for a min the fan whirrs, cools it down then goes off. How have you gone on with yours? Claire Higham from Yorkshire

Me too, C3 Pluriel, warning light has come on in three instances now for stop car, coolant seems fine and it seems to only happen after going up a hill and descending down the other side Jojo MuscroftJojoM from England

Submitted: 21/11/2013 12:41:31 | ID: 57204

Lois Dale, Nottinghamshire

Citroen C3 2010

I cannot get any sound from my Citroen C1`s radio. I can change the channels but cannot get any sound. Has anyone else had this problem and did you manage to get it sorted?

Have you tried the mute switch on the right hand stalk? Press and hold the centre of 1 of the button one is mute guessing the volume 1 not sure and one is source think not sure just have a look on the buttons Barry from Flintshire

Submitted: 21/11/2013 10:39:50 | ID: 58110